CAP 29 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to say you all are incredibly talented and should be really impressed with yourselves! All of these designs are creative and amazing in their own ways!

Having said that, I am in LOVE with Mos-Quitoxe design with (the bug/scorpion one). Also really like Glacios Ionic eel design, and the lore behind it.

Amazing work everyone!

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
WIP
cakesample.png

Very early WIP. Its a cake mimic. Changes flavor (color?) to better suit your taste (or perhaps, so you better suit its taste.)

Very undecided still on color scheme and mouth/teeth design, might go with something more zig-zaggy. Feedback appreciated.

WIP
http://imgur.com/gallery/B87mdXc
336bca9b-c3c4-46bc-a0c8-59b715e736fb.png

Im proud with the design know, it should not change anytime soon.
For a summary of the design: this is a dark magic eel manifest the power of absorbing infinity energy and turning them into it own power! (like real-life eels absorbing ionized minerals in water to generate electricity).
Finally, after this post, i will working on supportive contents, so stay tune! :3

Brambane that cake mimic looks delicious and I get a laugh out of it due to being a mimic.
The Mouth/Teeth are perfectly fine. They work good for the design.

As for the frosting (or is it icing?), maybe make it dark chocolate to play up the dark type aspect?
I feel going darker would make a good contrast to a lot of the bright colors in your current design.
+ Dark chocolate cake is delicious.
And now I really want some cake...

WIP

Tick.png

I hope it's okay ! Inspired by emos, goths, hair coloring (products used are poisonous) and crab spiders (Misumena vatia). To hunt, they pass themselves off as flowers.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Temporary File.png

The 20's aesthetic didn't seem "complex" enough for where this CAP's stats were trending, so I gave this design a new coat of paint. Now it's jumped from the 90's to the 60's. >_> I guess it fits Calm Mind better anyway? I also think this design has the most overall colors of any CAP design I've made. :P

Other changes:
  • Tweaked size of head.
  • Tweaked head shape.
  • Changed pattern on throat sac.
  • Tweaked shape of legs to look bendier.
Pending changes:
  • Community feedback
  • Playing with hair shape
  • Shading

Last edited:
Final Submission

CAP29Final1.PNG

Some minor edits to the center eye. Other than that, I'm all set to go.
To reiterate, this design is inspired by colonial spiders and cube-based sliding puzzles.

Supporting Material

General information

Unsolved state

Last edited:

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Final Submission

This CAP has been a journey for me art-wise, and the fact that its an objectively huge improvement from my last two CAPs in terms of rendering and (maybe) design strength makes me hopeful that it'll do well in the polls as well. And even if it doesn't, i like to think that i've learnt a lot from this experience as a whole haha.

Big thanks to Mos-Quitoxe, Quanyails, Birkal, Darek, Sunfished, and everyone who responded to the poll, ily all <3!!

The design is based on graffiti guns and cowboys, and I think both aspects came through quite will with the design and mesh together decently with the typing given and the other aspects of the mon. I think the chibi-esque build makes it fit w a lot of mythical high bst mons (which i felt made sense considering that we're likely to get a high legendary-esque bst) along with some specific high bst mons like Kingdra, Crobat, and Porygon Z.

EDIT: Ok by final submission i meant "only final until i impulsively decide to change everything on feedback". I MASSIVELY reworked the design to fit better w the rest of the chibi 600 BST mythicals; Marshadow specifically was a huge inspiration here. Ty to Quany, Sun, Darq, Birk, and Brambane for feedback on this version (sorry if i missed anyone!). The bad news here is that my old supporting art sheet is toast, I'm skeptical that i'll be able to rework it to fit this version by April 4th but i'll try my absolute best to, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
WIP

Sooo since there is more of a special leaning as well as CM and I know we will probably get very high BST I decided to change my idea.

I combined the tale of Perseus looking at Medusa through a mirror into this snakey hand-mirror mythical-looking mon. It can reflect back whatever is fired at it, as well as change its face to whatever it wants. I was also inspired by the magic mirror trope from things like Snow White. Dark/Poison should hopefully be clear since its an evil snake

Mos-Quitoxe
Your design is beautiful and it looks so cool! It”s personally my favorite submitted so far.

WIP

I’m almost done with punkrocktopus! But I had another idea and want to see if you like it. It’s a space invader literal moon jellyfish!

Please give feedback on which one you prefer!

Modedit: Merging double-post.
Modedit: Images break limits set in opening post.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
I’m almost done with punkrocktopus! But I had another idea and want to see if you like it. It’s a space invader literal moon jellyfish!
Hi there, I think your designs are pretty cool but i think each of them break the design rules a little bit. The first design has no outline and the second design has a prop effect thing coming from the tentacles that i dont think is allowed

I see that you've been asking for feedback for a while, and for that i recommend joining the CAP discord (link: https://discord.gg/XnKxWKxK)! it's easier for peeps to give feedback real-time than on posts since they have to say less and have to dedicate less time, plus you'll probably have a wider audience to hear from

Hope i helped!!

Um actually the thing in the second tentacle design is a part of the body

OH you mean the smoke

Modedit: Merging double-post.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH you mean the smoke
A. yes the smoke

B. I like both of the designs, they have both their ups and downs compared to each other. Here is how I would decide. The "space invader is a cuter design and a better and more diverse design but, it doesn't represent color change all that well which you can change in a Jiffy. While the original design is a bit more simple but represents the color change and dark/poison type better than the "space invader" so put this into consideration when you are picking the design you want to work on.

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

So I'd say this is likely to be the final render for tattoo lizard, for which I have KoA, Gravity Monkey, Birkal and Yokaiju to thank for their feedback on shading and highlights. So why this post? Mostly to archive the Supporting Art which I'd just doodled and I'm not sure if I'll have the time or motivation to render them properly. But thanks to the Discord as usual for having fun with them!

Supporting Art
Initial art lizard idea
CAP 29 being a bro for his Colour Change cousin
CAP 29 hanging out with the Dark-type gang
How I imagine CAP 29's Colour Changing works - inasmuch as it's not practical for models, the tattoos morphing seem like the most interesting way for the ability to work
Colour Changing tattoos
I can't draw Rillaboom
Please don't sue me Alice Cooper or, as KoA put it, "lizard and toxitricity woul totally either be stage bros or arch rivals"
Strength Sap justification

Last edited:
Final Submission

My final submission- a take on the magic mirror trope! I was also inspired by Perseus looking at Medusa through a mirror so it became a giant mirror combined with snakes. It can reflect anything that gets fired upon it, as well as copy anyone's face. For the Poison and Dark typings, the evil serpent theme should suffice, and I think Color Change is covered by a mirror's ability to reflect, similar to Color Change reflecting the typing it gets hit with. The magic mirror contains its own dimension, and energy from attacks can be drawn into it, ready to be fired back out. This changes the hue of the inside of the mirror. Also it has visual shifting properties of a magic mirror, showing what it wants to show, which works with Color Change. Calm Mind and Coil as boosting moves hopefully are clear too. I tried to make something on the level of Hoopa-U to fit the BST requirement. Shoutouts to the CAP artists for making it through another tough one!

Supporting Art:
Back/side sketches

Last edited:
Final Submission

BE THERRRRRrrrrrrrrRRRREEEEERRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrrrr

Not a whole lot to say, continuation of the oil slick oil painting concept. Changed it to be longer to accommodate a potential Coil, and now its head is modeled after The Scream. Also made the frame more elaborate to give it more of a look of a super high BST mon. Generally just polished it up. Still looks a little ghost-y but eh, don't know if there's any avoiding that. Will probably add supporting art later.

Final Submission

A snobby blanket octopus countess 'mon with a foul attitude, who sprays an even fouler perfume from her tentacles. She's very picky about her appearance, so each heated moment in battle is an opportunity for her to change the color of her "gown."

Supporting Material
Ref Sheet
"I'll Krump with you sweetie-pie"

Last edited:
Final Submission
1616033829983.png

don't at all know what to do with mon from this point forward. So guess I just submit it huh. Since I've heard people are confused about my design, well, it what it looks like. It's a rainbow monster slime with tentacles, yep, that's it. Really the whole point behind the design was for it to be confusing in the first place. Heh, guess I did a good job at that huh?

Last edited:
Final Submission
Untitled132_20210404104439.png

Also I forgot, my submission changes its bubble colors depending on the type, to match color change.

Last edited:

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

A cephalopod-based artist creature with 8 limbs, representing the horrors and feelings of an artist trying to draw. From the gleeful grin of it's upper head to the jaded annoyance of it's actual body, I tried to catch the feeling of how an artist would at first normally be inspired, happy and hyped to art while eventually fading into depression and going I HATE EVERYTHING after grinding gestures for 10 hours and still not being satisfied with their progress.

Supporting Art
The Joy of Painting

Bullying various OU mons

Last edited:
Final Submission

Ok NOW it is finished, from the previous desing i added some important changes and i list them here:
  1. -Upgraded the quality of the drawing a bit.
  2. -Made the colors in some parts a bit more saturated
  3. -Increased the size of the head significantly in order for it to look more "pokemon-y" (in my opinion at least)
  4. -Changed the beak, feet and the "hair" feathers
  5. -Changed completely the form of the wings so its more closed related to the ones of real hummingbirds (plus it looks nicer)

Supporting Material

A bunch of multicolor birds (a bit outdated)

general poses and moves

Justification
The desing is based on 2 species of birds:

*Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte Anna), which is a species of hummingbird that not only have a big variety of colors but also have iridecense so they can sorta change colors from certain angles (kinda good for a pokemon with color change that can increase that effect with pokemon magic), and this species inspired the overall form of the desing.

*Hooded Pitohui (Pitohui dichrous, altough almost any Pitohui works with my justification) one of the few poisonous birds that exist (and the first one to be confirmed poisonous), it lives in New Guinea and it has poison on its muscles, liver, heart but most importantly, the feathers. The poison itself is bassically the same as the one present in some Dart Frogs, and works as a neurotoxin that can also cause burns on the skin. This specific bird not only helped to the desing as it justifies the poison very well in my opinion, but also i based the desing of the feathers (covering the head, neck and part of the chest) on this bird.

I also included parts of the desing to reprecent plague doctors, it isnt that obvious but the way the neck feathers function is also made to represent real life plague doctor masks (this one), plus the shape of the beak and how it takes the form of glasses around the eyes.

Aaaaand as a way to justify the stats, i feel like the status of mythical may be enough, maybe its just too different to other mythicals for this to be considered one, but i feel like, if shaymin can be a mythical, there's noreason why this one can´t.

Overall i really like how this came out in the end, i find this one to be a fun idea and im really excited to see which one of all those amazing desings that have been submitted for CAP29 will become the victor in the end, good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)