CAP 29 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Just a cool Panther/Goblin mix that got drenched in oil.
Maybe it’s a political commentary.
The colors are designed to look like their slightly shifting depending on where you look at the design.

Cheers

Last edited:
WIP
MimicOcto2.png

Based on the mimic octopus, which can alter its coloration and body shape to imitate other creatures. This one constantly changes during battle to disorient the opponent, all while keeping its real head camouflaged and out of danger. I’m still experimenting with the colors.

Final Submission

Based on Lorisids
=> Poison Type (Slow lorises from southeast Asia produce a secretion from their brachial gland (a scent gland on the upper arm, between the axilla and elbow), that is licked and mixed with their saliva to form a toxin which may be used for defense.)
=> Dark Type (Lorisids are nocturnal)

Cyberpunk vilain hacker vibe
=> Poison Type (computer viruses)
=> Dark Type (hacking)
=> Consistent 50% Recovery (it is cybernetic, so it can repair itself)

Glitchy eyed Pokémon
=> Color Change (Video game glitches are known to be randomly colored, plus their forms and colors could severly change if they collide with something else)
=> Poison Type (Video Game glitches can corrupt other elements when they touch it)

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is a reminder that CAP 29 art submissions are due 96 hours from the conclusion of CAP 29 stats (here), which is coming up in about 1 day and 8 hours. You can see exactly how long you have left to finalize your submissions at THIS link. As always, feel free to reach out on Discord (preferred) or forum messages if you have any questions about your final submission post!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
WIP

This is pretty much done, just a few more tweaks here and there. But here's my take on CAP 29:

A Two-Sided Tale: The Curse of the Magic Medallions
There once was a Goblin who was very frustrated with his life as a boring Normal type. It was picked on mercilessly by Fighting type bullies and others, and it couldn’t hit anything super-effectively. It became obsessed with finding a way to change its horrible typing to something else... ANYTHING ELSE.

The Goblin studied long-forgotten mystical texts and forbidden tomes and eventually devised a plan. Being naturally very Mischievous, the Goblin snuck into the lair of Arceus, the legendary god pokemon that has total mastery over its typing, and the Goblin stole Arceus’ fabled Plates.

Then, using an evil arcane summoning spell, the Goblin was able to bring dark underworld lords to its aid. The Goblin offered the summoned spirit lords the Arceus Plates in exchange for power and the ability to change its own typing. The evil hellspirits transformed the Goblin into a powerful demon with two venomous serpents to do its malevolent bidding. And the dark lords used the Plates to forge the Magic Medallions, imbued with the power to alter the Goblin’s typing.

The Demon Goblin is now a powerful pokemon in battle, using its Magic Medallions to curse opponents such that every move the opponent uses causes the Demon Goblin to change its typing, frustrating the opponent with every turn, much to the fiendish delight of the evil imp!

That is one form of the legend...

But there are others who say that when the Goblin used the summoning spell, that Arceus itself appeared, and was angered at the theft of its Plates. So Arceus transformed the Goblin as punishment, and bound the Goblin to the serpents and Magic Medallions. The serpents force the Goblin to engage in every battle and never run away. And the Magic Medallions are cursed such that the Goblin cannot control its typing at all. Its typing is changed by each move used by the opponent, which drives the evil imp even more insane with every battle!

So who is actually cursed, the Demon Goblin or the opponent? There’s only one way to find out...

LET’S BATTLE!

I'll explain the fable and give background on all the eclectic references I have packed into this little guy in my final submission post later. Hope you like it!

Final Submission
CAP_29_artwork.png

• Design origin: This design comes principally from kabuki teather antagonist character (in this case representing Orochi), the Rokurokubi (the snake necked lady Yokai) and in the makeup in general (it's arms are meant to be like make up brushes)
  • Design justification: The whole reason behind this design it's because it can change of color by using makeup whenever it gets hit. The makeup idea was used because certain kind of makeup result perjudicial for health and well as exesive makeup (reason why it's a kabuki actor) and the Dark type is justified by the fact that it resembles an antagonistic figure and because the idea of it changing of colors to fit in with others rather than showing "it's true colors" and toxic personality.
  • Stats and movepool justification: While the design was intended to fit with Coil it gives the overall idea of a bulky yet kinda fast pokémon that could fit Calm Mind, Sludge Bomb, Dark Pulse and Taunt as well. Recover would be fitting in a similar way that Alakazam or Lati twins.
Supporting Art where it showcases how it would change flavor wise for each type

inkbug

Maybe the real mega pokemon were the friends we ma
is a Community Contributor
Final Submission
froge_2.png

supporting info:
"poison dart toad" of sorts, with a large volatile gas sac. it mixes components from its environment together with its own naturally produced catalysts (kept in its cheek "filters"), allowing it to produce a wide variety of noxious fumes to suit its needs. (i.e. being hit with fire it incorporates into a flammable gas it can use as a flamethrower, being hit with ground it incorporates into a kind of mud, et cetera.)

the "nose" and cheek pouches are meant to resemble a respirator, and the white blotches on its back give the vague idea of a skeletal pattern without being super on the nose about it. its recovery move would most likely be Slack Off, and of the listed optional moves Gunk Shot and Scald seem especially fitting. probably not useful to it but i could also see it getting Strange Steam i guess?
it looks a little slower than its speed stat might indicate, but frogs have got real strong legs and jump really fast so i think it works alright.

it would usually be accompanied by puffs of gas, not unlike weezing; (link)
additional reference of mouth open & spitting out gas; (link)

haha this is my first post outside of pet mods im not nervous at all

Last edited:
Final Submission

Supporting Material

Design Basis

This pokemon is based on porcupines as well as tanukis (to emphasize the mon's color changing abilities). Additionally, the design draws from sorcerers/over the top anime villains, especially power absorbers a la All For One from BNHA or Rogue from X-Men. The design also draws heavily from the punk rocker (dyed hair and tattoos)/glam rocker aesthetic. Finally, the rainbow coloration of the quills and 'tats' is based on rainbow scratch paper.

Supporting Artwork

color change (gif) | doin' some moves | strength sap | previous iterations

Thank you to everyone who gave critique, feedback and advice on the server, I really appreciate it!

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

cap29_trashpanda.jpg

Supporting Material

This design is based on raccoons (aka "trash pandas") and tanuki.
- Poison typing from the trash! Raccoons love to search through trash for all kinds of goodies.
- Dark typing from the raccoon, which are both nocturnal, and often personified as thieves or mischief makers.
- Color Change comes from the fact that tanuki in Japanese folklore are said to be good at disguising themselves and even shapeshifting.
- Tanuki in mythology are often seen wearing big hats, which in this design is represented by a huge banana peel hat

Last edited:
Final submission

7050ab2c-94a8-4722-bce1-4076dd6f5b02.png

http://imgur.com/a/bUHlvtZ

Tbh, this is a rush design, and I add a bit too much details, making it look clumsy.

Supporting material
Supporting information about design:
Base on electric eels who generate electricity by absorbing ionize particles in the water. This CAP absorb the mythical infinite energy generated from the move attacked it and turn that into it own energy/type.
It submerge half of it body into the ground, allowing it to absorb even more energy from the environment, but make it vulnerable to ground type attacks. Thanks to it ability to travel trough even the slightest cracks, it can suprisingly strike the enermies by sneaking it tail to the enermies foot.

Supporting art for using moves:
1d8d0971-2239-421e-bf19-76e1f12ef603.png36a9fbc9-c5ea-4bc3-851a-8686f305d386.png9b2379c9-cbd7-4903-8f13-b52fd29144dc.png60cf0b73-6227-4862-88df-6abe545d9208.png
Going crazy (or just using Recover):
242f311e-cdd0-406e-a678-6a39c67227f5.png
Color change in "action":
0f617e15-c3b0-4984-b91e-d03ca42fba31.png

Hope anyone read this have a really great day, and may the best design win!

Last edited:

Magmajudis

Title pending
Final Submission
cap29-1.png

Snake based on plague doctors. It's also specifically a kapuas mud snake, a specie known to be able to change colors.

Final Submission

A387098D-8077-4D6A-99B3-986F1B8A9866.png

An oil slick seahorse. The color of its stripes change depending on its type. It’s face is designed after a gas mask.

You need to type it above your image in bold text specifically. You can edit an old post to be your Final Submission, if you like.
Remember also to follow the other rules listed in the first post, r.e. image sizes and suchlike.

Final Submission

CAP Octopus.png

I didn't like my spider very much and it didn't work with the movepool and stats. So I tried other things and ended up creating this Fakemon based on the Milk Drink move.

It's inspired by an octopus, an alien (some think octopuses are aliens), UFOs, super-villains, and cow abduction. His helmet is made of a toxic oil that allows him to breathe. He's a Dark type because he's mean and kidnaps cows. For Color Change, it's because octopuses can change colors but also to remind aliens who change appearance to infiltrate Earth (+ the color of the oil). It can learn Milk Drink, Calm Mind, Sludge Bomb, Dark Pulse, Coil (the arms), Ice Beam (it has a tractor beam so ...), Gunk Shot and maybe Sap Strenght, Knock off and Sclad (octopuses are water-related so ...).

Supporting Material

https://imgur.com/fmj8XI9

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

MAIN DESIGN

SUPPORTING MATERIAL

A Two-Sided Tale: The Curse of the Magic Medallions
There once was a Goblin who was very frustrated with his life as a boring Normal type. It was picked on mercilessly by Fighting type bullies and others, and it couldn’t hit anything super-effectively. It became obsessed with finding a way to change its horrible typing to something else... ANYTHING ELSE.

The Goblin studied long-forgotten mystical texts and forbidden tomes and eventually devised a plan. Being naturally very Mischievous, the Goblin snuck into the lair of Arceus, the legendary god pokemon that has total mastery over its typing, and the Goblin stole Arceus’ fabled Plates.

Then, using an evil arcane summoning spell, the Goblin was able to bring dark underworld lords to its aid. The Goblin offered the summoned spirit lords the Arceus Plates in exchange for power and the ability to change its own typing. The evil hellspirits transformed the Goblin into a powerful demon with two venomous serpents to do its malevolent bidding. And the dark lords used the Plates to forge the Magic Medallions, imbued with the power to alter the Goblin’s typing.

The Demon Goblin is now a powerful pokemon in battle, using its Magic Medallions to curse opponents such that every move the opponent uses causes the Demon Goblin to change its typing, frustrating the opponent with every turn, much to the fiendish delight of the evil imp!

That is one form of the legend...

But there are others who say that when the Goblin used the summoning spell, that Arceus itself appeared, and was angered at the theft of its Plates. So Arceus transformed the Goblin as punishment, and bound the Goblin to the serpents and Magic Medallions. The serpents force the Goblin to engage in every battle and never run away. And the Magic Medallions are cursed such that the Goblin cannot control its typing at all. Its typing is changed by each move used by the opponent, which drives the evil imp even more insane with every battle!

So who is actually cursed, the Demon Goblin or the opponent? There’s only one way to find out...

LET’S BATTLE!

Background and Explanation
The inspiration for this design originally came to me when I was looking at various interesting kinds of moths. We were considering Quiver Dance at the time, and so I was looking for ideas that might justify that, along with our typing of Dark/Poison. Moths are a very "dark" creature anyway. They thrive in darkness and hidden places, destroying clothing and other things like that, and in the folklore of many cultures, moths are associated with death, decay, and evil spirits. I came across two fascinating species of moths, the Atlas Moth and the Death's Head Hawkmoth (more on them in the explanation sections below), and started thinking of how to make a Dark/Poison design based on them. I was trying to think of what kind of creature might have snakes for wings and a skull symbol on its body, and I started imagining demons and evil imps.

I thought more about how demons are often associated with bad outcomes like "a deal with the devil" or making an offering to summon a demon and have it backfire on the summoner. And it occurred to me that our whole CAP 29 project is somewhat like that! We are taking a chance on this crazy ability, Color Change, which is itself very random and risky because you have no idea what your typing will be on any given turn. And we are trying to use it to make a powerful, useful battle pokemon. I liked the thought that we are making our own "deal with the devil" of sorts. And we have no idea if our bet will pay off or not. So I decided to make this devilish little imp design, with a whole slew of references and inspirations to wizardry, demons, moths, and the curses of chance!

It may seem to be an odd mix of design elements to have two prominent snakes there with two long flowing wings that look like a cloak. But it actually came from one seed of an idea, while looking at pictures of Atlas Moths. The Atlas Moth is famous for its long wing tips that appear to be snakes.
See these reference photos:

Pretty cool moth, right?

The belly symbol was inspired from the Death's Head Hawkmoth, which is famous for having what appears to be a skull on its thorax.
See here:

Since CAP 29 has Dark/Poison Typing, I took the ingame symbols for Dark Type and Poison Type, and combined them in a stylized way to make the belly symbol for my Demon Imp. I think the result looks pretty cool IMO, but there is a meaning behind it as well, if you are into details like me!

Dark Type Symbol Poison Type Symbol Belly Symbol
+
=

There are six Magic Medallions, each medallion having three sections, and each section having three magic sigils inscribed on them. Here's a design template with all six Medallions in detail:

The number 6 is frequently associated with evil demons and devils. The number 3 is a common aspect of things related to Color. There are three primary colors - Red, Blue, & Yellow. These colors can be used to make any other color in the spectrum, and they are also the names of the original three Pokemon games. The most common color systems use combinations of three colors to make every other color (Red/Blue/Green and Cyan/Magenta/Yellow).

That means there are 18 different sections in all the medallions, which corresponds to the number of Types in the game of Pokemon. The idea is that the medallions magically change the pokemon to any color type, by invoking the curse of the sigils every time the pokemon is hit in battle.

The medallions' three section design evokes the most common design structure of many "color wheels". It also was inspired by one of the only ingame Pokemon medallions I could find, the Team Medallion in Pokemon GO:

Design Progression
Link to an animation of my progress from sketch to finished artwork:

(click the thumbnail for the full-size animation exceeding 500kb)

Final Thoughts
This is probably the most complex design I have ever done for CAP. I really enjoyed mixing different references and influences in this design. Since we made our CAP a pseudo-legend with 600 BST, I think there is a bit higher ceiling on design complexity than other pokemon. I imagine my design as something that can hang with evil badasses like Giratina or Guzzlord.

I see my design fitting perfectly as the final boss battle with the leader of Team Rocket or similar. Or maybe the last opponent of an ingame Dark Gym. Just when you've wiped the floor with Honchkrow or Houndoom and you think you're pretty awesome, the leader cackles and brings out this malevolent Dark/Poison demon, and you soil your pants!

Final Submission

MimicFinal.png

Supporting Material

My design is based on the mimic octopus, which alters its coloration and physical shape to imitate other creatures, such as making its tentacles look like venomous sea snakes. My creature would be constantly shifting its color and form in battle to disorient the opponent, while also keeping its real head camouflaged and out of reach.

Ground-Type Transformation:

Grass-Type:

Last edited:

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
Final Submission

Pipe Hatter Smollest.png

I wish I could have spent more time during these last few weeks to create a character worthy of standing among your ranks. But for now, here's Pipe Hatter :)

Final Submission

i really hate having to just edit my old render but oh well

Supporting Material
my design is a rat king (a collection of rats that have their tails tangled together) of glow in the dark lab rats (which are a real thing!), and they take on the form of a land squid type thing

- dark/poison = i think a bunch of festering rats tangled together justifies the typing well enough
- color change = its glow in the dark! also being lab rats, part of my idea was this being perhaps a lab experiment gone wrong; its unstable and moody, prone to change. i also had the idea of it being shaped like a cephalopod since those can change color.

pose that i wanted to use but im bad at time management
size comparison

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Heyyo, just wanted to comment on the art submissions this time around. I've been an art contributor for CAP for almost a decade now, and it's been a blast watching this thread blossom with so many amazing designs over the past few months. I would normally submit a design for just about every CAP process, including CAP29, but the timing didn't work out for me personally. I did draw up a design in a stupor one night about a month ago; you can see my rough draft design here with support here. This would have needed a lot of work (fewer arms and a more cohesive design), but I've spent every ounce of my free time working on the competitive side of CAP29.

The reason I'm posting this is because I want to share a message with the future Topic Leaders reading this post: don't let the fact that you're a TL prevent you from submitting an art design. You're totally within your rights to submit a design, and I feel that many of you would be very qualified to be both a TL and draw for a single CAP. The sole reason I didn't submit my design for CAP29 was because the timing was bad for me on a personal level; it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm the Topic Leader for CAP29. But please don't let my lack of art submission for this CAP set a future precedent that TLs shouldn't draw for the CAP that they're leading. Keep on drawing, always!

Anyways, with that out of the way, a huge round of applause for all of you! Some many of these represent the bombastic nature of CAP29 well, and I can't wait to see which one wins. Best of luck to everyone in the polls!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Disqualifications:
  • JJslem: Original size of image is 800x600px (oversized)
  • LowenCraft: Incomplete outline around design, glow outside of outline.
  • Unsee: Some of the coloring goes outside of the outlines.
Everyone else advances to poll 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)