CAP 3D Modeling Project

Wow it's just ridiculously good. Congratulations to the team for the tremendous work on Astrolotl as well as Kitsunoh and Necturna.

KIRB!!

But seriously, Astrolotl's 3D render looks amazing as always, especially with the Armor DLC coming up in five days.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Y'all are incredible as always. I do question the choice to have the animation be a floaty, since that sort of pose was offered in the sprite stage and not selected, with people preferring a grounded stance instead.

There's really just not many Pokemon that are not flying types, have legs but don't have wings, and don't have levitate that have a floaty animation. i.e. there's relatively few Pokemon that don't have a "reason" to be off the ground that actually are off the ground. I'm really struggling to think of almost any right now.

If I knew nothing about Astrolotl and just saw this animation, I would assume it had Levitate from its motion.

Y'all are incredible as always. I do question the choice to have the animation be a floaty, since that sort of pose was offered in the sprite stage and not selected, with people preferring a grounded stance instead.

There's really just not many Pokemon that are not flying types, have legs but don't have wings, and don't have levitate that have a floaty animation. i.e. there's relatively few Pokemon that don't have a "reason" to be off the ground that actually are off the ground. I'm really struggling to think of almost any right now.
Similarly surprised - although Dragapult, and Hoopa-U have this but could be potentially explained by Ghost and Psychic Type respectively. I'm still sold on the idea of "Dragon" being enough, and there are plenty of clearly grounded pokemon have access to moves like Fly.

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I did a floating animation cause it's much easier than a standing one, and given the amount of time we had left it was the only sensible option to go for. That said though, I very much agree that a standing pose is probably better and we'll be looking into doing some standing poses alongside floating ones. Depending on how things go we might end up taking them to a poll :)

Here's the scaled up renders we used for social media.
Playtest Front 1.5.gif
Playtest Shiny 1.5.gif

I've come to realize that after all these CAPs, our team had put in so much effort making the model.... just to throw it away at the end with a sloppy product presentation. While they look okay here on the forums, they certainly don't on Twitter and especially Facebook as a mp4 video:
These are supposed to boost CAP's outside reputation and encourage new members to join the project, and I feel like there's a huge potential we haven't tapped into yet. I've learned from my non-CAP 3d work that they should be hitting tens of thousands of views, yet we're not quite near that with the CAP models. So I'm going to focus my efforts making a better backdrop for our future final products and look into more outlets to promote our work. If you have any experience with banner or interface design - please message me! We'd love to have you on our team.

QxC4eva

We'll be starting on CAP 28's model soon and as always, progress will be recorded in this spreadsheet. If you would like to help out please let me know, even if what you want is 'taken' already cause the more backups the better :)

Here's a draft of the new layout we're planning to use for social media. Aiming to showcase the model in full as well as the 3DS style and gen 5 sprites. There might be too much on it but I'll animate the elements first and then decide which ones to cut out. Most likely the background or the grid, depending on the outcome.
Socmed Draft.png

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello everyone!

I'm sure there's a lot of excitement building around CAP 28's, or should I say, Miasmaw's model. I'll be reporting on the progress made so far so buckle in.

1603276352794.png
This first model made by Pipotchi, as you can see, was basically perfectly functional and anatomically accurate from the get go. The only changes that were made after this model were suggestions made by QxC4eva to separate the smoke polygons outside of the mouth from the rest of the model, as well as to make the bevel connecting the vest carapace to the forearms more pronounced.

1603277365046.png

This is the current state of the model. Nyasu has taken the model from Pipotchi in order to generate the UV maps for the textures. The smoke is still on the way. The other change that Nyasu made was separating the spikes from the tail itself.

Hopefully this has been enough to wet some whistles. It's been a very smooth and productive process so far from what I can see, and as such hasn't required as much extensive drafting as Astrolotl's did. Great work Pipotchi, Nyasu and QxC4eva!

QxC4eva

The research tag is just to acknowledge when someone finds a way to do something we had no idea how to do at first. It's not really a reservable. If you got any notes on how to model whatever part of Miasmaw feel free to share it here. That said, I don't think there's anything new on the design that we don't already know how to do. The trickiest part, the smoke effect, can be done similarly to Pajantom wisps and maybe Smokomodo's cloud.
Wisps are driven by hair dynamics with a turbulence field. I didn't end up using soft body cause the only physics I needed there was drag and gravity. Like most physics it doesn't loop properly, but it can be fixed by rendering a loop further down the timeline (like frames 500-579 instead of 1-80) to drown out the initial pose. The wavy effect was done by sine deformer with an offset phase.
For the smoke I wanted to do some fancy shaders but we'll have to wrap this up soon, I'll just go with a simple wobble effect instead :P

Here's the UV map for Miasmaw. UV mapping was done by Clawed Nyasu and I've compiled it together for texturing.
UV.png

The research tag is just to acknowledge when someone finds a way to do something we had no idea how to do at first. It's not really a reservable. If you got any notes on how to model whatever part of Miasmaw feel free to share it here. That said, I don't think there's anything new on the design that we don't already know how to do. The trickiest part, the smoke effect, can be done similarly to Pajantom wisps and maybe Smokomodo's cloud.

Here's the UV map for Miasmaw. UV mapping was done by Clawed Nyasu and I've compiled it together for texturing.
View attachment 288664
Is it important that this is the shiny version on the sheet?

QxC4eva

Is it important that this is the shiny version on the sheet?
Nope it's just an empty space on the map. Whatever that goes there won't affect the model. Since Golurk is texturing this and he also designed the thing I figured he knows the colors but not the shiny so I put it there for ref. Either way, I ended up replacing it with some notes when I sent it over so funny enough he ended up asking me where the shiny palette is :P But yeah, not an issue. I don't think we'll ever have a final product where the original colors got confused with the shiny haha.

Should've posted this earlier, but here's the animation I did for Misasmaw! (The smoke is still a WIP since QxC will be adding deforms for more blobbiness.)

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This looks amazing! I love the twitching wing! That being said, I agree the current gas animation looks weird, as it seems like a tongue or tail than a fume or wisp of gas.

QxC4eva

Miasmaw 3DS style sprites - Final Product
3DS Front.gif
3DS Shiny.gif
3DS Back.gif
3DS Shiny Back.gif

> Source files <
3DS Dex.png
3DS Dex Shiny.png
Credits
This was a really fun model to make. Thanks to all involved! Since CAP 28 already had its inaugural battle we decided to celebrate this release with an artist match - me vs Golurkyourself - with teams provided by Zephyr2007 and Pipotchi. So if you're into cringe battles between two amateurs who know nothing.... Saturday 1am GMT ;)

This looks so cool! The glow of the smoke especially. And that little flutter of the wings makes it really lively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)