CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 3 (Secondary Typing Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghost

Fighting

A ghost/rock would be an awesome type combination, imo. Fighting because fighting rock type would be pretty cool also.

No second typing

Fighting

Vote this for most of the other reasons mentioned plus I would really like to see a mono rock type.

Next time, read and understand the rules before posting. Or at least, before complaining.
Well, yeah, I've read them, I just don't understand why that particular rule is necessary. Would it effect people's votes, or what? That doesn't seem to be a problem with the poll votes, so why is it a problem here?

I mean, I get that you've got to have some rules, but a couple of them seem like they're being enforced just for … I don't even know why. In any case, it's not a big deal and I'm not going to post the results or anything, it's just that I'd be more inclined to accept them as legitimate if a reason were given as to why they're being enforced.

Plus, I really don't want to sound be a smartass, but forgive me for being unaware of a rule that wasn't even mentioned in the Original Post! It doesn't seem to me like people should be yelled at for doing something that doesn't seem like it would be a problem when they'd have to have dug through several pages of rules just to be aware that there was a rule against it in the first place.

Well, yeah, I've read them, I just don't understand why that particular rule is necessary. Would it effect people's votes, or what? That doesn't seem to be a problem with the poll votes, so why is it a problem here?

I mean, I get that you've got to have some rules, but a couple of them seem like they're being enforced just for … I don't even know why. In any case, it's not a big deal and I'm not going to post the results or anything, it's just that I'd be more inclined to accept them as legitimate if a reason were given as to why they're being enforced.

Plus, I really don't want to sound be a smartass, but forgive me for being unaware of a rule that wasn't even mentioned in the Original Post! It doesn't seem to me like people should be yelled at for doing something that doesn't seem like it would be a problem when they'd have to have dug through several pages of rules just to be aware that there was a rule against it in the first place.
It's mainly in response to an older voting method we had were first place would get 10 points and last place would get 1 point, and you had to rank everything in order. People would post tallies, and then options that a user would normally rank 2-3 would get dropped to 10 so that the option they wanted to win would win. This is not the spirit we wanted to take place in the voting so the rule was implemented. I'm not sure if its really applicable anymore, as the most amounts of votes you get in a single thread is only 4 now.

This is coming from the creator of the rule (it was brought up during the Stat Spread phase of Revenankh and greatly obscured the results). Personally, I think our polling method has gotten better and has reduced the effect such tallies would have on the outcome, but that's for a different thread.

It's your responsibility to read the stickies and act accordingly. If you didn't read that poll jumping is forbidden, and you posted in this thread a complete movelist, for example, you would be infracted/warned, even if the first post doesn't mention poll jumping. Ignorance* is not an excuse.

Also, of course you are allowed to disagree on a rule. And, if you think it's important/interesting to change it, you can ask a moderator permission to start a Policy Review thread about it. But meanwhile, the rule is in effect.

*Ignorance as in "you don't know something" not as in "you are dumb", of course.

1) No Secondary Typing
2) Dragon

I'd really like to see a pure Rock special sweeper. A Rock/Dragon sweeper could be cool too.

No second typing
Bug

A pure rock sweeper would be nice. If not, bug takes care of rock's weakness to ground and fighting, which I would say are rock's biggest weaknesses.

It's mainly in response to an older voting method we had were first place would get 10 points and last place would get 1 point, and you had to rank everything in order.
Also, of course you are allowed to disagree on a rule. And, if you think it's important/interesting to change it, you can ask a moderator permission to start a Policy Review thread about it. But meanwhile, the rule is in effect.
A'ight, cool. S'all I needed to know. :)

1. No secondary typing
2. Grass

I don't like many of the other options. They seem to take away more than they bring. Of all the alternatives, Grass looks like the best secondary option, giving it neutrality to allot of attacks while still giving it a secondary STAB with good synergy to Rock.

After hearing some arguments, I believe that fighting, grass, electric, and ghost would all be acceptable secondary types. I still think that, out of those, the best is fighting for its superior type coverage and similar stereotype. I see many people posting that Rock/Flying would be a cool type; it would, but it has been done in Aerodactyl. I really don't feel like making a Special Aerodactyl. Also, many support Bug. This Pokemon is going to break the mold of Rock (probably special sweeper) and we have already done Syclant. Finally, I think it would be good "experience" of whatrever to make a CAP single type, but if this is to be a sweeper, then dual STAB is VERY preferable.

After hearing some arguments, I believe that fighting, grass, electric, and ghost would all be acceptable secondary types. I still think that, out of those, the best is fighting for its superior type coverage and similar stereotype. I see many people posting that Rock/Flying would be a cool type; it would, but it has been done in Aerodactyl. I really don't feel like making a Special Aerodactyl. Also, many support Bug. This Pokemon is going to break the mold of Rock (probably special sweeper) and we have already done Syclant. Finally, I think it would be good "experience" of whatrever to make a CAP single type, but if this is to be a sweeper, then dual STAB is VERY preferable.
Obviously dual STAB is preferable, except on Gengar, Heatran, Lucario, Salamence, and Gyarados. Hm... all are top 10 sweepers who only use one STAB move. It's not necessary to have a dual type, and in this case, most of the dual types would outshine Rock.

Also, Ghost, Grass, and Electric have reputations as being special based already, so its not as much as a mold breaking. Only Fighting and Ground really have the same mold as Rock, and they can both overshadow Rock as an attacking type (Fighting more so than Ground).

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I'm pretty disappointed that Grass isn't more popular = ( We're going to have to make a Special Rock move then because 60 BP Ancient Power won't cut it and the reason behind Grass is Technician Giga Drain. I guess we could give it Giga Drain regardless of it being Grass type, I mean why the hell does Infernape have Grass Knot?

Also, Ghost, Grass, and Electric have reputations as being special based already, so its not as much as a mold breaking.
Not completely true. If you look at all final form ghost types, they're seem to be a even split between special and physical based ghosties. The only reason I believe people are saying that is because of Gengar. If you remove Frolass, Giratina, Spirtomb, Sableye, and Drifblim for having offensive stat being near equal, what you have left is:

Physical based: Shedinja, Dusknoir, Bannette

Special based: Gengar, Mismaguis, Rotom.

Now, that looks pretty even to me.

1. Steel
2. Bug

Steel because a fast special Rock/Steel is definitely breaking the mold and would be super cool. Bug as a secondary because not only would it be cool but could kick ass with Technician Silver Wind/Ancientpower abuse.

No secondary typing really seems boring design wise to me. I mean compared to Rock/Bug, Rock/Dragon, Rock/Ghost, Rock/Grass, Rock/Fighting, etc they just seem to have a lot more possibilities creatively speaking. So for the sake of the art and the sprite (which I do think is as important as the competitive concept) I really hope it gets a second type.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1.Bug

2.Psychic

Both of these take away its nasty fighting weakness, and give it access to some nice special STAB.

1. No secondary typing
2. Steel

I'd really like a mono-rock, but if any secondary type is chosen, I'd like it to be Steel. It has similar stereotypes, and the Steel STAB will be far from outshadowing the Rock. 4x Ground and Fighting weak, but I doubt that this will be surviving many attacks anyway.

Choice 1: No secondary type
Choice 2: Psychic

Choice one is a bandwagon, two is because I didn't want any of the other ones that have a chance of winning (Ground, Fighting, Flying, etc.), so I decided to vote for something that would not ruin the chances for just plain Rock. That being said, Psychic would have been kind of cool if it didn't completely go against the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)