CAP 17 CAP 6 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the Art Submissions thread for CAP 6! As always, it's very important to read the rules before posting in this thread! We've re-organized and updated this OP to hopefully make things clearer and more readable.

IMPORTANT: Some rules have changed and been added, please read them carefully and see the following hide tag for more information
The following things have changed:
  • Sizes for allowed art: Because the previous limits were confusing and difficult to moderate, we now only allow one full-sized image per post, with a limit of 640 px in either dimension. We've added a filesize restriction of 200kB, and a filetype restriction to jpg, gif and png. These restrictions are partly in consideration for mobile users and partly to clarify the ambiguity of "compressed digital format".
  • Collaborations: Collaborations of any kind are now off the table. I don't think we had any successful collabs in the past, so this doesn't really change anything. The intention here is to prevent any potential disputes over the ownership or credit of a submitted piece, and to make sure there are no loopholes available to plagiarists.
  • Posting limits: Thread-hogging and spamming the thread has always been disallowed and moderated (as in any other CAP thread) but here we felt we needed clearer and more rigid rules to allow every person's opinion and art to be seen in the most equal light possible. With these rules we can be more fair across the board when moderating. Also, new forum tools should facilitate this change, with liking being an easy way to say "I like your design!" and tagging a good way to alert an artist that you've added a comment to your previous post.
We've also added a few lines regarding the permissions and usage of the design and art that's being submitted, just to be clear about what's expected when you submit your art to CAP.

-----

This thread is open for final submissions, WIPs, and comments for the design of the CAP 6. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities. Please see the process guide for clarification on the timing of these decisions and for the timing of the closure of this thread.

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the Main Design at the top, and supporting material (if applicable) below it.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP PokeDex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • It must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no parts of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed image dimension is 640 pixels and the minimum is 320 pixels. The maximum allowed image filesize is 200 kB.
  • It must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Posting Rules

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, each poster must adhere to the following posting limits:
  • No more than one post in any single 24 hour span
  • No more than three posts in a single week span (7 days / 168 hours)
Deleted posts (by the poster or by mods) still count toward the limits (except for accidental double-posts if they are immediately deleted). If you wish to add new comments or art within these limits, please edit your most recent post.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full sized image which is no larger than 640 pixels in either dimension with a filesize no larger than 200 kB . Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • Images must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists should not post links to images with filesizes exceeding 500 kB. You must include a warning if you do.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.

Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine, just say that.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

-----

CAP 6 so far:

Name: Show Me Your Moves!

General Description: A good user of moves with effects not frequently used in the OU metagame.

Justification: There are many moves in Pokémon with great effects, but they often end up unused. Moves such as Gravity, Snatch, and Safeguard have potential in OU, but they are neglected for several reasons: the moves are apparently overshadowed, have poor distribution, or are inefficient compared to another strategy. This CAP uses a combination of typing, ability, and stats to make these underused moves not only feasible, but also capable.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • What mechanics of Pokémon determine how viable moves are?--not only the Pokémon's typing, stats, and ability, but also its interaction with playstyles and momentum.
  • What new strategies might emerge by giving a new OU Pokémon underused moves?
  • What challenges do Pokémon that use lesser-used moves face compared to ones that use a more standard moveset?
  • If the Pokémon has options of staple OU moves (high-powered STABs, offensive stat-boosting moves, reliable recovery, Substitute), will those moves be useful to it, even if it's specialized toward a separate and distinct strategy?
  • Can underused moves increase other underused moves' viabilities?
  • Can one user of a strategy unrecognized in a metagame massively influence a pre-existing playstyle?
Typing: Steel / Flying
Ability: Intimidate / Volt Absorb / ??
Stats: 50 HP / 92 Atk / 130 Def / 65 SpA / 75 SpD / 118 Spe

We also know that this CAP will be getting the move Belly Drum.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
With permission from paintseagull, this post reserved as a submission catalogue. :)

Last edited:
Here is my Steel/Flying design.
At first, I created a criature very similar to Skarmory, a slim and silver bird... but I got inspiration and I decided to make something different.
A Steel-made Flying thing... A Zeppelin!
My problem with this design is that it doesn't look like it is able to use Belly Drum, and being the focus of our CAP the Pokemon should look like it is able to use Belly Drum.

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem with this design is that it doesn't look like it is able to use Belly Drum, and being the focus of our CAP the Pokemon should look like it is able to use Belly Drum.
Lower half looks like a whale and those are kind of chubby so IMO he could use Belly Drum :P. He'd just flap his flippers on his belly.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey artists, I just want to make a quick post to say we will not be renaming Belly Drum to fit the art. Belly Drum is the central element of the competitive side of this CAP and we will maintain the integrity of the CAP by keeping the name as-is. Artists are not required to incorporate a "realistic" use of Belly Drum into their designs, but at the same time, voters will certainly be allowed to vote based on any flavor criteria they see fit. Happy arting!

I really like Calad's design and while I can't even draw stick figures myself, I'm quite excited to see the art pouring out of this thread :)

ok, so, i wasnt sure how much i actually liked my blitzcrank valkyrie, so i made a new one, this time based on those shark planes. @Leviathes, you made good suggestion, so i made edits accordingly. I also have a flying pose as well, using edits of the old art

Flying Pose

@Shanimanim: its literally just a cassowary, you're gonna really need to change things to make this a winning design. I know you said rough sketch, but like its just too realistic

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I rarely have a design idea this early in a CAP, but as I was playing around with ideas last night, this one intrigued me. I call it "Rocketmon". And yes, I'm an Elton John fan and the song "Rocket Man" is playing in my head every time I work on this design!

The design is based on rockets and astronauts, if you can't tell. I made it a fatmon because of the need for Belly Drum, but I think the rocket theme lets this thing be just about as fast as we need it to be. Bullet Punch? Sure. ExtremeSpeed? Hell yeah. I'm thinking all sorts of Steel/Flying stuff can go with this guy.

Those things on its back are supposed to be rockets or rocket-like things. The legs have tail fins like rockets do, and I imagine it can "blast off" with rockets from its feet. I have no clue about colors at this point. The general design has kind of a Buzz Lightyear feel to it, which is just fine with me. To infinity and beyond, Rocketmon!

I don't know if I will keep pursuing this design or not, but this is what I'm working at the moment, and I'm having fun with it so far.

. . . I made it a fatmon because of the need for Belly Drum. . .
It looks fabulous, and I certainly can't draw well enough myself to submit anything, but by the time you reach your final submission you might want to accentuate the fatness of the belly a bit more, or make it look like it's some sort of percussive membrane (maybe that's what the tellytubby-esque front portion IS anyway), because while it isn't skinny or anything. It doesn't look drummable to me atm.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
A WIP for now:

1. Frigate Bird. The frigate birds are known for their striking characteristic of inflatable gular pouches--- a worthy connection for the Belly Drum-user concept. Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frigatebird

The term “frigate” also relates to warships and such, which in a stretch could be done as a steel-type. For now I tried to incorporate a navy sailor look.

2. Valkyrie + Harpy Hybrid. This is a typical bird humanoid concept that draws inspiration from harpies for the overall form (winged forearms) and valkyries for justification of the steel-type, mainly from the winged helmet, which in this case are both a helmet and a beak at the same time.

OK, I've been waiting for this stage to start! I don't have one concrete idea yet, but I've come up with a few rough drafts.

The design on top uses magnets on its arms/tail to levitate and propel itself at high speeds. Inspired by a maglev train. If you think it can't use Belly Drum, think Linoone.

The middle draws some inspiration from Calad's zeppelin-mon. It's fat, so it should be able to use Belly Drum. Not liking this one as much.

Finally, the bottom robotic design is the one I like best. Its propeller lets it fly, and it has treads to move on the ground. It can use Belly Drum because it's pretty chubby.

Which one do you guys like best? I don't know which one to go with!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Ah, Calad and I've got similar ideas. :p Unintended similarities, of course. This current design deceptively simple. The idea started as a blimp, but it's also turned into a bullet and missile. It's now all of them in portions, I suppose. o3o So joke with its cutesiness as much as you want, but it'll use Belly Drum and nuke the opponent. Figuratively, of course. :)

The other idea I'm sketching out is a 'hell's angel' bird. The extremities and spiky portions are metal (iron shavings, for the latter). The wings are stylized. Needs allusions to motorcycles and leather and better-quality art and less explaining.

Comments:
  • Calad: Works well--I chose a blimp for a design for a similar reason as yours, I'd figure--its volume and how that relates to Belly Drumming. I like how our ideas go in different directions beyond that, however. Yours is more serious than mine and is more blimp-like than mine. :p If it works with Belly Drum and other factors, it'd definitely be a great choice as the design.
  • Doran Dragon: Looks nice for a sketch so far--image evokes Steel/Flying, looks like it can use Belly Drum. I personally don't find the design all that inviting, though the design is technically well. New design! I like it a lot. :) Shows Steel/Flying well and can see it Belly Drumming. The legs look a little odd, but that's no big deal to me.
  • DougJustDoug: Ah, rockets. o3o I see Steel very well in the design, but Flying, a tad less. I can infer them from the rockets on its back, though it seems like it could have another typing besides Flying. That aside, though, very unified design that works with what this CAP has so far.
  • Magistrum: The left design, I feel, would be more popular because of its large front. :) I suppose I like it a tad more than the right design for that reason. I see Flying in both designs well, and I hope that Steel is evident in the left's design when it's colored in. The right design, I can see Steel immediately. :) Well done.
  • The Steam Punk: I'd suggest keeping all of your designs in mind, as abilities and stats can affect designs' opinions. I'd take the first if CAP 6 is speedy and the third if it's slower and bulky. :)

Last edited:
So far, I like a lot of these submissions! They're really good! Here are my comments on all of them!

@Calad Your Zeppelinmon is great! I don't have much to say about it, except that I sort of agree with CJorex in that it doesn't look very drummable, but I also agree with Seed in that it's flippers could drum. I just think sort of mess with those "flipper" things, maybe make them a bit longer.

@Doran Dragon Your Robo-Valkyriemon thing is pretty cool. I think it looks very drummable. I don't really have much more to say. Yours is one of my favorites.

@DougJustDoug I originally like your Rocket Man Rocketmon, but after a few more looks at it, I don't. I mean it's great art, but its arms are like weirdly behind his torso and are really short. And his rockets just look weird to me.

@Magistrum I really like both of your mons! But, in my opinion, your Frigate Bird looks too much like Honchkrow. So I think you need to go with your Valkyrie+Harpy Hybrid. It is personally my favorite so far. The only thing I don't like about it is that if you look closely, it's eye and beak together sort of make it look derpy. Just fix that.

@The Steam Punk I don't personally care for your first two, no offense. They just are kind of boring to me. But I really like your last one, the flying robot thing. That's the one I think you need to continue with!

@Quanyails IT'S SO CUTE!!!!!!! It reminds me of Munna in a way, but either way I love it and it's super adorable! Keep working on it, and I'm sure your Hell's Angel will be awesome too!

@Mos-Quitoxe Your mons are great, but neither really says Steel-Flying to me. I get how they could both use Belly Drum, but I think you need to work on them. (But if you take the genie/lamp thing, and it becomes CAP6, its one and only nickname will be Mrs. Potts)

@Yilx Yours look great, and I know from past lurking projects that your art is always great, so I'm sure yours will end up awesome! But right now, they're pretty small drawing and aren't final, do they're not that great in my opinion, yet. Sorry.

@TordenOfItami Yours is great, but as a few people mentioned, it looks too Bug/Steely.

@Bernoid Again, as people said, that just doesn't look Steel/Flying. But it's amazing artwork! It looks like a really pissed off Zapdos.

@Alakaboom I like it, I really do! But I agree with you, you should add a beak or something to make it look bird-like. Great job!

@Hailblue Your pegasus is great, but it doesn't seem very drummable. How would it get its hooves up to BD?

@Shanimanim I love it!!! It really looks great, it totally shows Steel/Flying, and it looks pretty drummable to me! I think yours is my new favorite!

@Chomz Yours looks a lot like Shanimanim's... It's good, but pretty small. It looks Steel/Flying and drummable I guess.

@Knirp Your link is broken or something. I can't see the picture. Sorry. Okay, it's fixed! I really like it, and it's great how you based it off of drums and stuff! It's up there with my favorites now!

@ferraferra I love yours too! It definitely looks Steel/Flying, and who doesn't love penguins??? That thing is awesome. It's hard to choose between yours and Shanimanim's right now XD

Last edited:
This is my first time attempting to submit art for CAP, but I'm pretty excited to give it a shot! While I was a bit torn apart between choosing another Steel/Flying concept, I chose this one:
http://i.imgur.com/LJSIRrI.png
It's basically based on a mix between a huge demonic bird and some human-like traits. The wing's position is based off someone is holding a sword above his head, and it's hand's position is based off someone using it for balance. The anatomy is a bit off, but let's just say it has a very flexible spine :p
edit: I'm sorry if this doesn't really look like Pokemon art, but it's just the way I do things.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I like the last two submissions, neither of them really fit the typing of the current CAP. TordenOfItami, as you said yourself, looks like it would work for a bug type. If there was a Bug/Steel, that would be awesome. Bernoid, I also really like your design, but it does not look very Steelish to me.

Sorry if I am out of place or anything. I am new here and did not see any rule about having to go through some sign-up process before posting here. If there is something similar, just point me in the right direction.

I've been lurking CAP for some time now, and now I'm really excited to present a prototype:
Steelanite.png

As for the flying type, I pictured it jumping and gliding owl-ly around as opposed to flapping. Maybe I should add a small beak to make it look less ghosty.Anyway, I wish I could say that it is based on some mythological creature, but I couldn't find something that really excited me to draw. So this is what happened.
Criticize away please, any help is appreciated.(And please inform me if I've committed any major faux-pas with this submission)
Thanks! :p

This is my idea right now, an armor plated Pegasus.

Edited:
This is a bit more of a dynamic design. Now with color, my next post will have a few adjustments to make it look "more pokemony".

http://imgur.com/2Ii6kJZ

I have lots to play with, so feedback is very welcome.

My justification for the belly drum is that many ungulates can produce a low drumming sounds with their belly. However, those of you who feel you must physically drum your stomach with hands to perform a belly drum in the pokemon world (just ignore linoone, wooper and the like), I say this: if a Pegasus needed to hit its belly, it could just use its wings.

Last edited:

Hello everyone! I'm a long-time lurker (Mollux) on the cap-forums. I usually followed the process with a focus on the art section, although I read almost all of the other discussions too. I just never had the time and courage:p to contribute anything. This time however, I have a lot of time spare and decided to become an active part of the process (for art, that is;). So without further ado, I present the Glockenspiel-Bird-mon.
I decided to stretch the definition of 'belly drum' (mostly the drum part) a bit and make a bird-like creature with a glockenspiel (or orchestra bell or whatever you English-speakers call it) for a belly. These blind birds use the echo patterns from their melodic belly 'drumming' to scan their surroundings for obstacles and prey. Sadly their prey usually catches onto the sound and flees.

Belly drum (new version):
http://i.imgur.com/vCHSuQ8.jpg

When they dive down form the sky to strike they open their head cover on the top and point their beak downwards. Their fake eyes light up. (bigger image: http://i.imgur.com/qUehsMKl.jpg)

NEW FOOT DESIGN (I didn't apply these to all drawings yet). In the updated version the bird will be able to take the 'mallet nails' out of its 'feet pouches' to play the xylophone. They won't be so 'ducky' as the one down here (unless it ends up with water absorb maybe:p)

Old version belly drum/flying:
http://i.imgur.com/5rWsIRb.png

Older versions:
http://i.imgur.com/xcI6w1d.png
http://i.imgur.com/Dnc8qoi.png

------------
(LONG) Comments:
I'll try to comment on every design and if possible give some constructive criticism. Apologies if someone feels I'm to harsh. I think some criticism I give applies to my own design also so please don't feel offended or anything;).
- @Calad: I really like the way you made a zeppelin into a realistic pokemon design. I share some concerns with others though. Mainly that it's not clear to me how it will be able to belly drum in it's current form and that (this is partly due to the fact that it's based on a zeppelin) I think it is a design that looks like a pokemon with a shallow movepool because it lacks common 'organic' body parts which a lot of moves are based on. But seeing this is a WIP I'm sure you'll be able to improve it further.
- @Doran Dragon: The new drawings really show off the flying typing for your design. Comparing the regular pose and the flying pose I think it might be cool if the 'leg plates' would cover the entire lighter body area of the sharkplanemon when it's flying. That way it will look even more 'plane like'. This would give the leg plates a slightly more interesting shape too. I have to say that when I saw your first drawing I didn't really like it but the improvements you made me see the potential of your design, keep it up!
- @DougJustDoug: I've always enjoyed your unique and mostly 'simple' takes on previous CAP projects and this one seems like it's not going to be an exception. I agree with you that although it's a 'mechanical mon' it's got a lot of potential for learning a broad range of different moves, which will surely help later on in the process. Looking forward to the coloring and other improvements to this one.
- @Magistrum: I really dig your frigate bird concept. The valkyrie harpy is also really well designed but I guess I have a natural aversion to 'human-shaped' pokemon and therefore would prefer for you to use the bird design. Although I've seen comments about the bird looking like honchkrow/pelliper and not looking 'steely' enough (I partly agree on both) I'm sure you can turn this into an awesome pokemon. I really hope you can make this one work!
- @The Steam Punk: Because you are obviously still searching for a base concept to work from I don't feel like I should comment on the designs themselves yet. I also like the bottom one most. The first one looks like a prevo to what could be an interesting pokemon though.
- @Quanyails: This one made me smile. I love these kind of simple cutemons a lot. I like how you turned this simple design into a multifunctional blimp/bullet/missile/nuke-thing. Funny thing is that because you and Calad partly share concepts it almost seems like your design could be the prevo of Calad's (although the colors don't really match up of course). Looking forward to enhancements to this one and your new idea.
- @Mos-Quitoxe: Both are nice and cute designs, although I very much prefer the genie/lamp. At first glance I actually thought it was some kind of teapot (thanks to the big belly) but I don't think that's a problem. If I have to nitpick: the cloudy right hand is a nice touch, but I don't like the left hand so much. I'm not sure what it is that bugs me though. Knowing your skills I'm looking forward to what will come of either of these designs though.
- @Yilx: Because your designs are still very vague I don't want to say too much yet. The concept sounds cool. Looking at these WIP sketches I think I prefer the one on the right.
- @TordenOfItami: Although I like the drawing itself, it doesn't seem to fit the current CAP typing well enough (like you mentioned yourself already). I'm curious if you will come up with a new design or maybe tweak this one into a flying type somehow ; )
- @Bernoid: I cannot see your picture anymore but I saw it earlier today. Although I really liked the drawing itself, I'm not sure it fits the steel typing and the belly drum ability of this CAP. Would like to see you work on something a bit more suitable because the art itself looks promising.
- @Alakabooom: Very interesting and odd looking. I like how it seems to be mostly based on your own imagination, although this also creates a few problems imo. The steel typing is quite obvious, but because steel itself doesn't really facilitate a natural integration of a 'flying type' (like bug would do for example) a design can become somewhat type-ambiguous easily. Even though your design has wings, I think I would classify it as steel/dark mainly because of coloration and the skull-like pelvis area, or maybe even steel/bug (because of the wings and ant-like head). Maybe it could help if you can find a bit more focus somehow (own imagination or existing animals/stories/myths could all work).
- @Hailblue: I like the idea of a pegasus concept, especially since it's been due for a long time now (looking at you rapidash). Your sketch looks like a good step forward in getting down how to draw a plated pegasus. I'd like to see how you can (maybe even literally) stretch/inflate the limits of what makes a 'pegasus', and use these new ideas to turn the concept into a belly-drum mon.
- @Shanimanim: Again I really like your design (just like the one for the previous CAP, and again it's partly based off a dinosaur (coincidence?);)). I would like to see you stray away a bit more from the cassowary look though. I think you're on the right track by using the steel typing to make it into a pokemon instead of a real-life animal. Maybe you can play with the belly drum aspect a bit more too.
- @ferraferra: I think your new design is a big improvement. I'm not sure if I like the idea of a literal 'crown' on its head though. I would prefer it if you can integrate it into the bird's design somehow. I'll comment again once you flesh it out some more.
- @Hollymon: Although I'm impressed you were able to turn a concept like superman into a pokemon so well, I'm afraid I just don't like the concept itself too much. IMHO Superman and pokemon are just not meant to be combined together I guess.
- @Sgt.Moose: Nice one. Although it's got some electric traits, it seems steel/flying for the most part to me, so no problem there. The belly drum part could be improved on I think.
- @Dracoyoshi8: Very nice design! I like the fact that we'll probably never know what this pokemon looks like exactly. Can't wait for you to flesh it out a bit more.
- @ReddHawk34: Interesting choice of reference which will probably help bring out the steel type in your design. Can't say too much yet though seeing as the design is still a rough sketch.
- @Blue Frog: Looks silly and cute at the same time. I liked the way you steelified the tail and would love to see you go even further with that (show the backside:p next time)
- @Canis Majoris: I love the concept but I'll wait with commenting until I get a better picture of the whole design. I like the detail on/in the wings but for now I'm more interested in the overall design/shape/attitude of the bird itself.
- @Orviexes: A very over the top concept that might be a bit too much imo. I'm quite sure that's just a matter of taste though. I do enjoy the humorous edge your design has so definitely don't stop here;)
- @elcheeso: Nice concept (some parts of it have passed my sketch stages too) and I like the design too. The parts that still need some work imo are the tail and torso (belly mostly) but I see you already knew that so I'll look forward to an update.
- @Darklatias92: I like your drawing style and your concept reminds me a little bit of Doran Dragon's design. I do think that I like his way of integrating the airplane/animal parts a bit more than the way you did it though. For me the airplane in your design looks too much like an airplane tacked on a fancy looking space dino. A part I like is the helmet that seems to fit exactly into the plane itself. I think you can use details like that to make the whole design more coherent and less dino+airplane-like.

Last edited:
Hi CAP! I'm not an artist or anything, but I hope I could help with a bit of comments on everyone's works. Sorry in advance if I might appear offensive on some points but at least I think it's constructive :)

I agree with Korski that potential voters might want Belly Drum as a consideration in the design. (I know I do :p)

Also just a couple of little theoretical questions (Please don't skin me alive :p):

-Isn't making a more, umm, organic design (birds, humanoids, other living things) more likely to use Belly Drum than mechanized beings since the latter technically have no bellies?
-Is it really necessary for the designs to be fat just to justify BD? I mean, Linoone isn't really fat, and IMO the only reason why other pokemon don't have BD (like Kyurem, Slaking or Tyranitar) is they might be deemed too powerful if they have it.

@Bernoid wow that's a really badass pose you did! Too bad the wing placed overhead is too big compared to the other one so it looks awkward too. (Or was that intentional)?

@Calad Really great design. The only thing that hinders it IMO is the relation to BD. How is it supposed to do it? I understand where CJorex and topher4167 come from that lengthening the "flippers" (or wings, if you may) will make it more viable for using BD, but if so, what is it supposed to drum? The underside or the balloon on top of its face (which is weird by the way)?

@Doran Dragon Shark Plane huh? To be honest, as it is now it looks more like a submarine to me...sorry. It must be the big hands and feet that make me think it's a diver or something. The dorsal fin doesn't help either and instead just adds to the impression of submarine. Maybe you should put it on the head segment instead, and add wings as shoulder pads to give a more "plane" look?

@DougJustDoug Rockets eh? IMO Pretty interesting. I dunno if this is a foreshortened pose or not, but since you called it a fatmon, I think my second question above the comments applies here.

@Magistrum So far yours are my favorites. I don't know which design is better but they're both great. I didn't know Frigate birds until you showed it which really fits as a belly drummer bird, more than the other bird designs so far. Although I agree with Quanyails that as it stands, it doesn't invoke the steel typing that much yet. Perhaps you could add a steel-like beak? It has great potential though. The Harpy+Valkyrie Hybrid is also really good and invokes Steel/Flying.

@Mos-Quitoxe I like your genie lampmon more than the birdmon ATM, and the cloud/smoke is a good touch. I don't know if the "feet" are necessary though.

@Quanyails IMO this blimpmon has a more viable design for BD than the previous one, although IMO it is more underwhelming, art-wise. (Which is understandable because it's a WIP). 2 designs having resemblances to another means they are inevitably gonna compete with each other aside from the overall competition though. Which is why I'm looking forward to your Hell's Angel too. :)

@The Steam Punk I agree with topher4167 that the first two do not give much of an impact compared to your third one. IMO stick with it.

@TordenOfItami Sorry but even before I could even comment on your design, you just downgraded it on your own by calling it "should really be a bug-type". To be honest I don't quite get the face...:(

@Yilx The top one quite reminds me of Shyanne from Monster Rancher DS. I kinda like the mecha angel concept you'd like to take though; it also reminds me of X-Laws of Shaman King, which is great. Looking forward to the development of your design.

@Alakabooom Uhh I dunno, it seems the face looks weird...like it has human eyes? Maybe you could elaborate more on its inspiration so that it could be understood better.

@Shanimanim I like this design too (especially on the leg armors). I dunno yet how it's gonna BD though.

@Hailblue Same with shanimanim, I dunno how it's gonna BD, despite you mentioning making it fat for BD viability. IMO it's still bland though so maybe you should give it a more dynamic pose?

@Chomz Based on what you wrote your concept is a steampunk chicken? Could also pass as a cuckoo bird concept though. IMO it's not bad but its not that good ATM either, but I'm looking forward to how you're gonna develop the concept.

@Knirp Quite interesting, and the Steel/Flying is self-explanatory, but I dunno, isn't it awkward that the feet are the sticks to play the glockenspiel with? I think it would be better if it holds the sticks the way Farfetch'd holds his leek, but it's your call. :)

Last edited:
http://i.imgur.com/8p5sVdZ.png -- old

I'm going to adjust this so it's closer to Ken Sugimoro's style in a few hours. I'm new to this project, I can't seem to see any deadlines though.

edit:

http://i.imgur.com/pR4Z55F.gif -- new
happy with how he's turning out, he's becoming a 'royal pain', his wing rests near his large belly, ready to drum it to suggest his dominance, he has vicious eyes to intimidate his peasants. His wings and tail to drape like a robe while he wears a steal bib, and a steel crown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)