CAP 7 CAP 7 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elegy of Emptiness, your design really appeals to me the most right now. When I think scout, i think of a quick animal, so Phox here is perfect. Meybe make it more wispy, and i liked the first design the best with the no-face design.

Final Submission

Main Design

Supporting Material

Positions Set
Salamence Wrestling

This design is based on the jack in the box toy and conveys the surprise element of what I believe a scout should have. The overall look also came from jesters and the wish to have a patchwork design. They'll hop about slowly in their boxes and when they want speed they can just retract and spring forward like an arrow. When relaxed their hands are folded back as if they were ears.

Below is an origin story inspired by Doug's.

~Jester's Graveyard~

A monster haunted the nearby abandoned junkyard. The local Pokemon dared not venture near it. Children playing dares would run into it and try to coax the monster out only to run screaming. Some say it was only a fairy tale, others would tell of an enormous nameless creature shifting underneath the scrap. Fantasy or not it was enough to keep most living things out.

During this fearful time a mischievous young Sneasel orphan had played pranks on and stole from the locals and was chased. He ran into the junkyard to escape believing that the monster was just a story to frighten kids. As expected the people stopped the chase at the gates and made gestures towards Sneasel who merely stuck his tongue out and walked off deeper into the scrap laughing.

Once he lost sight and sound of the humans behind him the Sneasel began to get nervous. It was awfully quiet apart from the wind that made strange whistling sounds through the twisted metal scattered around. Just as Sneasel began to think this was a bad idea something huge burst from the piles of scrap in front of him and he cried out, ducked and covered his eyes. When nothing bad happened he slowly peeked through his fingers and saw a strange sight.

(Picture)

In front of him lay what could only be called a giant striped snake that looked as if it was made of fabric and metal. It was covering its head with its massive hands in a parody of what Sneasel just did and grinning. Edging closer Sneasel cautiously poked the creature and it lifted its hands and held one out towards him. Getting the point Sneasel grabbed its lowest finger and shook it in greeting and sensed the beginning of an unusual friendship.

Later on, it was found that the monster was really just a lonely spirit that called itself Jester. It had patched itself together from the junk lying around but wasn’t able to leave the confines of the scrap completely. The Sneasel had found himself a kindred spirit that was as lost and as alone as he was. They bonded quickly and played often together but Sneasel found himself wanting for more.

Jester was surprised to find one day that Sneasel brought home some more orphans and the gentle giant welcomed them with open arms. News got about of a safe haven for orphans and soon many lost children both human and Pokemon flocked to a place where no adults would tell them what to do and Jester revelled in it. The junkyard became a playground with Sneasel and Jester as leaders of the gang.

Years pass, and the children grew up leaving to be replaced by others. Only one remained always and that was Sneasel. He always was there and said he always would be however time was a terrible thing. Sneasel eventually succumbed to the curse of old age. Jester couldn’t wake him up anymore.

(Picture)

The loss of Sneasel hit everyone hard but none harder than Jester. He hid himself under the rubbish and cried mournfully for days on end. When he emerged he began to make boxes out of the scrap metal then tore parts of his own body off to place in them. Each box attracted a soul and became animated with a miniature version of himself but none of the souls attracted were ever Sneasel’s. Eventually Jester tired and laid his tattered and wrecked body on the ground to rest and faded away.

With Jester’s passing the junkyard was taken over by his copies who overhauled it to become a true paradise for children as a memento to their creator. Once finished they named it Jester’s Graveyard and left a metal cross in the clearing where he once lay. To this day the few adults that are allowed access to the place are awed by the artistic metal buildings and the carefully tended gardens.

If Jester and Sneasel could see this now, no doubt, they would be happy.

~End...

[/URL]

What do you think? Color? How about his new whiskers? Should it's tail be a mist?
I'm preferring the more elongated mask of the past design, although the shift of the "fins" to the sides to be like whiskers is a very nice touch. I know you were trying to make it more kitty, but the longer face fit better than this round one.

I think the only mist I really miss is the paw ones. It gives off a whole "I don't really walk this earth" feel, which makes it very ghostly. I'm not sure about the tail.... Could try making a pic with and one without, then compare.

I don't really like "Confused" because of the eye-size difference. I think Phox looks better with uniform sized eyes all-around.

This is, to say the least, real real rough and real real late, but I'll post it anyway. It's just pencil right now, just preliminary sketches, but I'll probably completely redo it on the computer.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/casmat/roughsketchghosthelm.png

But uh, man right now I really think Wyverii should win. It's just... amazingly creative and creepy in all of the right ways. Since it's my favorite though, I want to say that the way the actual box is constructed bothers me. It seems too... inorganic. Now, how you make a metal box organic don't ask me, but I think if you could take away the screws and just somehow make the shape of the box more dynamic, it would look more fitting to a pokemon. And stitches make me think of banette, who doesn't even really have stitches, so that point is probably moot.

Elegy's is cool looking but.. I just don't get it I guess.

I've got a lot of uni work at the moment, so I may or may not make a submission. However, in the meantime, Elegy has my full support:

Love it.

I think it's perfect!
Yes, it is. It's the perfect execution of your idea. I don't know why you thought about changing it. For the love of god, use this design, not the others.

Edit: Actually, the more I look at your intended final submission, the more it grows on me. I could live with either one, whichever you think is best.

*Do note that my full support comes with a 100% failure rate, so keep that in mind. :P

Seriously, no joke. See: Every idea I've ever supported on Smogon. Sorry. :(

Final Submission:
Main Design:

Main Design (White Background):
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/Fyoshinite/My Stuff/Bastalk.jpg

Main Design (Flames):
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/Fyoshinite/My Stuff/bstlkflame.png

Supporting Material:

He's a ghostly garbage can, and he loves fighting as dirty as he smells.

His modest upbringing as a haunted wastebasket has taught him the true value of material goods. He exists to hoard junk and his senses have sharpened to the point where he can see items before they are even used, or particularly dangerous moves from pokemon who come between him and his passion. His natural flexibility, long reach, speed, and agility combined with the protective capabilities that only a metal garbage can offers allow him the unique ability to fight and flee with equal excellence.

These particular pokemon move into increasingly larger receptacles as they grow, much like hermit crabs. They will only seek garbage cans and wastebaskets, as they are an important symbol to these pokemon of reliability, resilience, and untold treasures. As this happens over and over, the pokemon will gain a stronger and stronger aroma. This causes great and small pokemon alike to either flee in terror, or face a battle that lingers weeks after the last blow was struck.

Mo' items, mo' problems:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/Fyoshinite/My Stuff/File0956.jpg
Early Sketch:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/Fyoshinite/My Stuff/BastalkY.jpg

I'm not clearly leaning one way or the other in terms of top picks yet.

Wyverii's is close. I love the design, the concept and the especially the colours, but I'm not sold on that metallic protrusion on its head. I think my problem with it is that it doesn't really do anything to define the nature of your Pokemon and ends up looking tacked on and ambiguous. Also, have you seen "Coraline"? Button eyes are creepsville and would fit your jester doll to a T!

I wasn't really into EoE's design until that latest entry. The 'face' is far more appealing now as are the body's proportions. A wispy tail might help in selling its ghostiness but it isn't necessary.

I always enjoy Hazmat's submissions for being fun and unpretentious. I'd shorten the legs a bit, or make him more of a squatter as tall Pokemon can't fit very convincingly into an 80x80 box.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I picked three concepts of my main five to stick with and develop. I didn't like the metallic skeleton as much as I thought, and the mecha fog ghost was not a serious idea and I really didn't like it, even though there was a bit of positive response in this thread. Unfortunately, I need to use thumbnails embedded with links to the full size image now because I can't add a third full sized image without breaking the art thread rules.

Concept A: Banshee

I made a few minor changes, such as making the hands slightly longer and a bit more slender, and adding a lip design on the bottom of the banshee's mouth to make it seem human-like (though I'm considering a smaller look). I also added a few back sketches of the banshee to show what the hair actually resembles.

Concept B: Possessed Sword

I made no changes whatsoever to this design, but I added multiple directional shots to show it isn't just a metal Metapod -_-. Since the design is so simple, there's only a limited amount of moves I can draw it using, primarily the slashing moves. So this one will be the weakest in terms of supporting artwork. Still, I like it.

Concept C: Spiked Ghost Top

Originally I made this as a joke, similar to the fog mecha. However, I grew to like it a bit, so I decided to develop this as well. I made the horn spikes smaller, and the bottom spike longer. Additionally, I increased the size of the metal plates that make up its face.

As always, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Also, I have a quite a few favorites in this thread, such as Wyverii's Jack-in-the-box, KoA's chain ghoul, Hazmat's trash ghost, EoE's masked fox spirit, Atyroki's Phantom, Doug's Metal Skeleton, Cartoons!' clockmon... I could go on and on and on. I honestly can't even pick a top 8, most of CaP7's designs are sooo good.

Here are two drawings based on the outline. One follows the complete design. (with a little touch on the masks, but it's not really noticable)

And the other is a very close resemblence to my first artwork, which is also very good. Pick which one i will photoshop and you'll see where it goes from there.

1:

2:

Remember that photoshop means better shading, mist, and filtering the masks to give them texture.

EoE, I very much preferred your design without the mouths.

Edit: I also liked your first colour scheme better (blue/black).

Two versions with small changes to the eyes and box as per advice. I actually like the button eyes but i'd rather have other opinion before changing it. Which looks better?

You know Wyverii... if you wanted to... the button eyes could be gender specific if you design ends up winning. Just throwing out my opinion. Either of them is fine by me.

cartoons, your idea IS the best, going out of stereotypes. It looks like a pokemon, and i love this. It doesnt look like a clock (completely) and i love it. I just dont like the pink color in the clock, because it doesnt seems to fit.

I always enjoy Hazmat's submissions for being fun and unpretentious. I'd shorten the legs a bit, or make him more of a squatter as tall Pokemon can't fit very convincingly into an 80x80 box.
Thanks, I always figured he could contort himself to fit mostly inside of the can for any sprite shots. I'll probably add it to my supporting materials after I've drawn it.

Quick sketch on my submission.
He can turn his tail around, so his tail becomes like a drill.

Again this is quick.
comment, and please reply with what to add or remove.

Ok,I modify my first submission a bit :),I drew some views of it,and tried to make the head look like a screw, I hope you can see the screw in the back view, and you like my design, I'll try to improve it later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)