CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 14 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I dunno man, I see the same thing going on with the Arghonaut in your display.

I just took a measurement, crudely, by placing a sheet against the monitor so it's transparent, and marking off the edges of the picture and then comparing to the 'clearer' version. It seems that, for whatever reason, Smogon automatically shrinks the image by about 80% which is causing the blur.

...time has elapsed...

sleuthing on the fly here...I just zoomed in on my browser (from the View tab) and now the .pngs are fine. Those of us seeing the blurred images simply aren't viewing Smogon at the dimensions it was intended.

There's some stuff that needs work I know, particularly the head is too long, and too fat , and it looks like it's lying down on the front, I'll probably re-do the colouring as well @_@
Can you make the first male non-shiny sprite into a separate sprite with a transparent background pretty please? I want to use it as an avatar ;)

My front sprite set. I originally started off with a more dynamic leaping pose however since that particular kind of pose is fairly popular and I didn't get good results I scrapped it and used this more playful pose. I didn't want to use all of the 80x80 space since I envisioned this critter to be fairly small and fluffed him up a bit. I like the idea of using the masks to distinguish between the male/female sprites and there's no particular reason for the shiny colour (well apart from cyber suggesting it).

Well accepting criticism, comments and i'll wish everybody else entering good luck. I'll post again when i've done the backsprites and i'll incorporate any changes requested if possible before then.

Okay, I'll enter this. Only a rough outline so far.

I really can't do anymore today as I have to get working on my class assignments.
aragornbird! i love the outline
please make the mask w/o the mouth.
it looks swee so far.
i would give the tail a little bit more wispyness though

Wyverii, that is awesome. for some reason, even though yellowis my favorite color, the shiny does not seem like the right color... maybe silver, gold, or even purple!

Love it Wyverii. Looks fantastic.
Also Aragornbird. Your pose looks great. Can't wait to see it colored!

One problem I keep noticing is that there is a complete lack of necks on some of these sprites. It just looks like a mask glued straight to its shoulders. Just something I keep seeing.

Shiny and male/female differences. Males have two "whiskers" and two markings below the eye, females have four "whiskers" and one mark below the eye.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Colored it in. Male on the left. Female on the right. Shinies will come tomorrow.

That is definitely my favourite sprite so far Aragornbird (would have been too if the female one had had a mouth), there is one thing that seems odd about it though, and that is the tail. It's really shiny, and seems too graceful. A little like a horse's tail that's been carefully groomed. I think it could do with a little less grace there.

Aragornbird your design is very nice, but... the body looks to big for everything else, i know it is supposed to be the underside but the top, bottom, and sides just don't have enough contrast. I also think that the back leg could be much more defined.

Cartoons! yours is really, really good I might leave it just the way it is.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Aragornbird that sprite looks gorgeus.
But as BlueCaptain said, the body looks too big in comparison to the masks/legs.

Its still an awesome sprite, and the male/female differences are very good.

In response to the concerns of this looking too much like Arceus/an equine, I shortened the legs to a length closer to one you would see on a canine. I slightly altered the trails on the back legs for tennisace, and lastly, I shortened the neck by one pixel so that it would still have one, but not be so long that it becomes reminiscent of a horse.

The shiny colors are just a possibility that I want to get opinions on.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender

In response to the concerns of this looking too much like Arceus/an equine, I shortened the legs to a length closer to one you would see on a canine. I slightly altered the trails on the back legs for tennisace, and lastly, I shortened the neck by one pixel so that it would still have one, but not be so long that it becomes reminiscent of a horse.

The shiny colors are just a possibility that I want to get opinions on.
I still see the neck too long :/

Cool sprite, but again, i see Arceus inside CAP7.
The legs look kinda... messy. Its hard to differ between the right and left front legs.

And before i forget, the "things" that appear from the legs are too long and exagerated IMO
The second mask (the smallest) looks too small, but thats again, my opinion.

Maybe you want to fix that.

aaragornbird's are easily my favorites now. The smile as a gender difference was pretty clever.

I can see where you're coming from putting the eyes at the bottom, but possibly experiment different eye positions.

Nothing else to really critique; it's amazing...

I like Aragornbird's and cartoons' sprites, but they all seem too solid to me. Is there a way to make it seem more incorporeal while staying within the outline rule? I'd like them more if the "fur" looked more like ectoplasm than really just fur.

reyscarface

World Defender
Ok everyone, here is an update on my sprite.

Backsprite is coming soon.
Really cool sprite!

The only thing i could say against it is the "spikey things" on the tail and the paws. Those are very exagerated and too much of them. And the sprite looks kinda thin, like, the legs are veeery thin, while i imagine them a little bit fater, IMO.

Anyways awesome job!

(Sorry for my vocabulary/spelling, i dont know too many words xD)

This is a great sprite and idea, but I think it could be tilted more into the direction of the opponent (kind of upwards so that it's not looking down so much. Not that the sprite has to be changed at all, just rotated in my opinion) . As an example, right now it kind of looks like it's going down a really steep hill. Anyway, awesome sprite!

I like Cartoons' design, as usual he has some nice and cool ideas for the sprites, it actually looks alot like the original design and not only that but it has a good looking pose for the pokemon.

However, I would say Chaoscrippler's sprite looks alot more pokemon-ish type of sprite. It looks more like a pokemon in-game sprites so, I say Chaoscrippler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)