Classic Games Thread

Anyone ever played DragonWarrior Monsters/Dragon Quest Monsters? Damn good game, like Pokemon but with a lot of cool breeding and such. Pretty great game with a good amount of replay value depending on what you get and don't.

Edit: Yeah, Six is the best by a good margin.
I have! I absolutely loved Dragon Warrior/Quest Monsters. I played the hell out of that game when I was younger.
DQM: Joker and DQM: Joker 2 were both pretty good but I didn't quite enjoy them as much. I played Joker 1 a ton, though. Not so much 2.
I really wish Terry's Wonderland (the 3DS remake) would get localized in the west. Unfortunately the game is almost a year old with no news of a localization, so I doubt we'll get it.

seriously, who the fuck else has played this game (besides scampy)

this game is amazing. and kind of ridiculously hard. i've still never beaten it, basically because save points don't exist and the world itself is so vast, i still haven't fully explored it. the game mostly revolves around exchanging items until you've returned items to their proper owners, or gathered them for yourself to complete various tasks. there are also a number of keys to keep track of, in order to enter different houses of your relatives/friends/acquaintances in order to complete your objectives. oh, and you can only ever hold 3 items at a time, meaning you just have to leave any other items scattered across the map, hoping you remember where exactly you've left them. i think the main goal is to save your girlfriend, daisy.

you've got 3 lives, like most classic games, but i don't recall that you can ever replenish them. when i was younger i would literally go to sleep leaving the game on since you can't turn it off and resume wherever you've left off. fuck this game, but i love this game, and one day i will complete it.
I remember I used to have that game on the original Genesis :D
Too bad I was too young to remember anything about it :/

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

This is the best classic game IMO.
If only it wasn't totally blown out of the water by Sonic 2... I grew up on a Mega Drive; Eternal Champions, Sonic, Super Hang On, Columns etc... It was fucking great. Also the only football game I have ever actually enjoyed in Football Italia 90, top down with the *best* sound effects and animations EVER. it was just hysterical!

I also own an N64 and a PSOne... But I play the N64/Wii VC more than most of the other things lol... I think I own Sonic 2 about 5 different times now...

Dizzy! : D

Here is another obscure game that I loved.

Wiz & Liz is a frantic platformer where you run around bizarre worlds collecting spells and saving cute little rabbits. The levels are fun and nicely designed, and evolve into more complex paths as you progress through the difficulty levels.

You can also harvest various fruits and vegetables you collect in the levels to throw into your cauldron and unlock minigames and cheats. This is a really nice way to pad out the main game and there's a ton of additional content to find. There are ways to brew everything from Extra Lives to minigames like Snake.

Seems innocent enough, right?

Well you're wrong. Dead wrong. You have never BEEN so WRONG.

Every goddamn boss in this game is nightmare fuel. The designs alone are creepy enough. But to fight them, you go around throwing magical beams to sever their faces off. I'm not kidding. They will literally lose eyes, noses, teeth and more as you attack them.

Oh, and the rabbits? They EXPLODE if you don't catch them in time.

Oh, and the fruit and veg? They have faces. They're sentient. You literally massacre hordes of innocent avocados and cabbages and throw them into your seething cauldron of black magic, just to play a quick game of Snake.

I did love it, though.

Much worse level design, worse music and it just wasn't as fun. And that god damned Barrel... >_>
To get past the barrel, just keep pressing up and down on the d-pad..up and down, and then when you have enough space, simply jump off :)

Much worse level design, worse music and it just wasn't as fun. And that god damned Barrel... >_>
Interesting, I thought the level design in S3&K was way better. The levels were larger, there was more focus on platforming and it didn't get incredibly dickish after the half-way point. Looking at YOU, Metropolis Zone.

^ I have to concur with Knights of Wario Land.

FF8 was ass lol. FF6 imo is the best FF of all time, and a true classic
This ended the thread. At least for RPG's.

But, nah, there were other great ones. Final Fantasy 4, 5(yep), 7(not my favorite, but it was "good enough"), 9(WAY better than 7), 10, even 12 was alright. The entire Breath of Fire series except for Dragon Quarter(idk wtf they were thinking). STAR OCEAN! ALL OF IT(never played The Last Hope, but I heard it was terrible) :D. Tales of Phantasia was great, though I never did get into the Tales series after that. I hear nothing but good things overall, so maybe one of these days I will play a few of them. ofc Pokemon Red/Blue and Gold/Silver as well and obviously the remakes, though those aren't old school in and of themselves. Man...there were so many great ones. I will probably remember more and edit this post.

As far as platformers, they took up the bulk of my very early gaming days(7-12 yrs old). Sonic 1, 2, 3, 3&K (and each was holistically better than the previous). Super Mario Bros. 1-3. 3 was AMAZING! World was good, but not as good as 3. I actually didn't care for the alternate world thing, but I did it just to say I did it. Donkey Kong Country was also amazing. Remember trying to compete in the Video Game World Championships(hosted by GAMEPRO MAGAZINE - who remembers that!) where you had to play at Blockbuster Video for qualifiers(first year I went it was Sonic 3 and next year was DKC).

Zelda: LTTP was my first true exposure to the Legend of Zelda series. I tried to play Zelda II when I was little, but it was just too hard/complicated for me. Probably because I thought it was just another "platformer" idk.

Fighters did the same too up until I was 12, when a friend of mine introduced me to RPG's and I started playing them almost exclusively. Many days were spend going to friend's houses and arcades in the mall (ah, nostalgia) to play Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct, with the VS. series and Soul series coming later on(X-Men vs. SF, Marvel vs. Capcom, Soul Edge/Calibur, etc)

Good times.

I'm rather surprised that no one's mentioned this gem.

Always loved playing this game as a kid. World 6-3 always decimated me, though. And do NOT get me started on the extra level in World 1.

Oh man, I remember that one. It was one of the first games I played, and being around 3 or 4 at the time I had no idea what the crap was going on. Games were way more enjoyable in that state of mind than they are to me now.

Always loved playing this game as a kid. World 6-3 always decimated me, though. And do NOT get me started on the extra level in World 1.
I don't really remember 6-3, but 5-7 was just awful for me. On the other hand, my favorite level is still 2-7, Lakitu's Wall. There is so much nostalgia in the level for me, I can't even begin to explain. Overall, it is the game that started my love for video games.

...Except Poochy, he's an ass.

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

...that is all
pretty sure marble madness was the first video game I ever played

Played Spyro series as a kid and it's still my favorite series of all time, with Year of the Dragon being the best one. Also props to the guy who mentioned Putt-Putt, because those games were the shit when I was a kid along with Pajama Sam and Spy Fox. ALSO:

so many memories

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
You have to be deaf if you think Sonic 3 and Knuckles has worse music than Sonic 2.
Oh come on? Really? The horrible bounciness of Carnival Zone and Mushroom Hill Zone are awful compared to the riffs in Chemical Plant or Hilltop Zone.

A lot of Sonic music is quality, I'll admit that and I would listen to pretty much all the Sonic music over a lot of other games. Star Light Zone from Sonic 1 being one of my favourite pieces of VGM. I can't wait to go to Video Games Live so I can hear some of those done orchestrally <3

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Fantasy 4, 5(yep), 7(not my favorite, but it was "good enough"), 9(WAY better than 7), 10, even 12 was alright.
I'd have to say my favorite FF games, the ones I'd give 10/10 to, are 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, Tactics, Tactics Advance, and Chrono Trigger (similar game feel, same devs).

^ omg how could I forget about Tactics [Advance] and Chrono Trigger :( . Chrono Cross was good too.

And M.Rock totally caught me from left field. I remember Oregon Trail....and never really being able to play it. Kids would tell me I couldn't play they were so obsessed. I wanted to play so bad :(

Oh man, I remember that one. It was one of the first games I played, and being around 3 or 4 at the time I had no idea what the crap was going on. Games were way more enjoyable in that state of mind than they are to me now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKoyc4RtUxE

Oh man I loved the Backyard sports games, I would play Backyard football for hours on end.

Anyone here ever play Power Pete? Game was the shit on my dad's old mac.

I got this when it came out as Super Mario Advance 3. I forget what year that was, but I remember it being hard as balls. Legit the first game I got that totally kicked my ass. I went back to it when I was 12 or 13 iirc, and even made it to World 6, but my GBA got stolen at camp (with the game in it) and that was the last time I ever played Yoshi's Island. Never beat the game, either.
Overall not a bad game, but the thing that pissed me off was the excessive amount of things to collect. You don't have to do it, but the fact that they grade you after every level basically makes you want to start getting into the habit of getting everything. At some point I gave up on that and focused purely on playing the levels, and I had more fun that way.
My memory of that game is almost entirely gone, but two fun moments that stand out for me are the level when Chain Chomps attack from the background (and go into the foreground), and the fight against Raphael Raven.

I'm just gonna

My family had an old n64 at my grandma's house. The only video game I had access to before I got the PSP. I also remember

I am still waiting for the sequel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)