Pokémon Cofagrigus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be rude, but literally nobody cares who starts these threads, as they literally serve no purpose except as a place for those of us with under 2k rating to talk and feel good about ourselves. The stuff that actually matters happens at the C&C board.
I dont care who starts the thread either. I just would never have bothered if I knew it was going to be remade shortly after me, and some of the words in this thread somewhat riled me up. That's the reason I'm not asking for this thread to be deleted.

Ok, let's get back on topic, most of the front page will get deleted, so Toxic Spikes; yay or nay?
With no Pain Split, it doesn't really seem like a great addition.

And like I said, it feels like it clashes with Coffy's main point this gen: walling physical attackers with Mummy and WoW.

And like I said, it feels like it clashes with Coffy's main point this gen: walling physical attackers with Mummy and WoW.
True, but it doesn't have to run Pain Split. I do agree on the Physical Walling though!

Nay. Toxic spikes definitely shouldn't be used considering you will be using will o wisp on top of mummy to completely cripple physical attackers. Some sets, yes t spikes can work, but only if you aren't using will o wisp IMO

WoW will work just fine with t spikes. You burn anything that spikes doesn't affect, steel/flying/poison/levitate users. Scizor is immune to Tspikes but it'd still be great to wisp him. Burning gliscor before toxic orb activates would also be great, mega lucario, mega pinsir, etc. all of those you would prefer to have will o wisp for, while still having TSpikes to whittle everything else down, which Cofag can do thanks to his defenses.

WoW will work just fine with t spikes. You burn anything that spikes doesn't affect, steel/flying/poison/levitate users. Scizor is immune to Tspikes but it'd still be great to wisp him. Burning gliscor before toxic orb activates would also be great, mega lucario, mega pinsir, etc. all of those you would prefer to have will o wisp for, while still having TSpikes to whittle everything else down, which Cofag can do thanks to his defenses.
But there are quite a few Pokemon you'd rather burn than poison. Azumarill, for instance, since it's one of the Pokemon Cofragigus checks.

On the other hand, pain split is unreliable recovery, and pokemon like Heatran and Ferrothorn function as amazing walls with no recovery at all.

I've used stall teams in the past, and I can say that finding something to use Toxic Spikes has been very difficult. Before this guy learned this move, your options were pretty much Roseraid, Forretress(who actually isn't that amazing in stall), and Tentacruel. Not to mention the competition this thing faces in Jellicent. Toxic Spikes really helps to set it apart.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've used stall teams in the past, and I can say that finding something to use Toxic Spikes has been very difficult. Before this guy learned this move, your options were pretty much Roseraid, Forretress(who actually isn't that amazing in stall), and Tentacruel. Not to mention the competition this thing faces in Jellicent. Toxic Spikes really helps to set it apart.
I agree. Forretress and Tentacruel are OU at that, so viable lower tier Toxic Spikes users are difficult to find. There's Nidoqueen, Roserade who could be doing other things, and random mishmash that aren't particularly defensive. Keep in mind that Cofagrigus can be both a hazards setter and a spinblocker, lending it extra utility on a team.

Yeah, there are Pokemon that are better served burnt than poisoned, but obviously you wouldn't run Toxic Spikes on every single set. Toxic Spikes really should go on a team that benefits from having all of their hazards on the field because not all of the opponent's Pokemon are physical sweepers. It's extremely foolish to say things like "never use Toxic Spikes because WoW is better!" because you can, amazingly, tailor a Pokemon's moveset to fit your team. Some people are served better by Toxic Spikes, others WoW.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
With Coffy, Talonflame won't be smiling anymore...

I personally would have gone with Pain Split over T Spikes. Since you see, Cofy has 58 hp and most of your encounters are going to have more HP than that.

Cofagrigus gets worn down pretty quickly, and unless you're running Mean Look, the most he can really do against Talonflame is pivot. If you're running the Trick Room Sweeper Cofagrigus or have SR support, then you're fine, but otherwise... he's difficult to use.

Especially when you consider that some of the most popular physical attacks - Earthquake and Stone Edge - aren't contact moves. On top of that, he's immune to two popular priority moves (Extremespeed and Mach Punch) for better or for worse, and Ice Shard isn't a contact move. He's gonna have to really pull some weight beyond his Mummy ability if he wants to try to do what Rotom-W is doing right now.

Last edited:
Fortunately he can Skill Swap Mummy onto anything, not just physical attackers, and there are plenty of useful abilities to swap for. Regenerator, Magic Guard, Natural Cure, etc. Unlike Trevenant this guy can actually take hits themselves, he just has a harder time recovering HP, but honestly with Rest and a cleric he tends to do fine overall, getting plenty of switch in opportunities. I'm really digging physically bulky WoW+Calm Mind sets currently.

Coff@Leftovers
Mummy
Bold 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
~ Calm Mind
~ WoW
~ Hex
~ Knock Off/Skill Swap/Substitute

WoW and Knock Off with his Mummy ability limits so many switch ins for your opponent. Virtually nothing can disregard losing its item AND getting burned. This allows opportunities to Calm Mind and patch up your SpD and power up Hex to your burn victims, becoming really powerful. The only common sight that is immune is Blissey, but even Blissey can be stalled out of Softboiled with CM boosting your SpD against a paltry Flamethrower, being immune to Seismic Toss, and Knock Off removing her Leftovers. The biggest problem is Toxic and strong special attacks before you can boost enough, or Fire pokemon you can't burn. But a Wish passer and Aromatherapy user allows for numerous future switch ins. Even if he doesn't end up killing anything, the items you removed and burns you caused can often lead to your victory in the end.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Fortunately he can Skill Swap Mummy onto anything, not just physical attackers, and there are plenty of useful abilities to swap for. Regenerator, Magic Guard, Natural Cure, etc. Unlike Trevenant this guy can actually take hits themselves, he just has a harder time recovering HP, but honestly with Rest and a cleric he tends to do fine overall, getting plenty of switch in opportunities. I'm really digging physically bulky WoW+Calm Mind sets currently.

Coff@Leftovers
Mummy
Bold 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
~ Calm Mind
~ WoW
~ Hex
~ Knock Off/Skill Swap/Substitute

WoW and Knock Off with his Mummy ability limits so many switch ins for your opponent. Virtually nothing can disregard losing its item AND getting burned. This allows opportunities to Calm Mind and patch up your SpD and power up Hex to your burn victims, becoming really powerful. The only common sight that is immune is Blissey, but even Blissey can be stalled out of Softboiled with CM boosting your SpD against a paltry Flamethrower, being immune to Seismic Toss, and Knock Off removing her Leftovers. The biggest problem is Toxic and strong special attacks before you can boost enough, or Fire pokemon you can't burn. But a Wish passer and Aromatherapy user allows for numerous future switch ins. Even if he doesn't end up killing anything, the items you removed and burns you caused can often lead to your victory in the end.
That seems like a good set overall, the biggest problems I see for it are constant switching if you are worn down enough. Also, a partner I'd suggest for this set is Clefable, who sponges Dark type attacks due to being a fairy, while Cofagrigus takes most Steel types and Poison types.

Maybe a specially defensive Clefable perhaps?

I like the set Jaroda posted, I am thinking of running it with a Florges cleric. Wish/Aromatherapy, type synergy and Special Defensive investment make them a pretty good combo. Only problem being I like to run toxic as a way to stall out certain walls on opposing teams, Florges does well for me in that regard, but I could free up a move slot by losing protect in favour of aromatherapy
(moonblast being the other move on the set as a way to hit reasonably well and scare Goodra after toxic, especially assault vest that I'm seeing a lot of personally, WiFi battling not on showdown)

Thoughts?

You seem to have omitted one of the more annoying Cofagrigus sets:
Cofagrigus@Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
Nature: Bold/Calm/Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def(or SpD) / 4 SpA
- Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind/Nasty Plot
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Obvious roaring aside, this set can really cause some trouble if the opponent's phaser is dead and they lack anything capable of doing much damage to this wall.
Shadow Ball for raw power, Dark Pulse for not getting walled by Normal Types
Nasty Plot for raw power, Calm Mind for walling potential.

Pretty cool set, can't find anything wrong with that at all, never used a Cofagrigus so this is new to me but seems pretty solid. Just want to use the crazy guy, he looks great with the 3D modelling and I'm in need of new stuff to breed. Good shout!

Let me just start by saying that Cofagrigus is a beast.

Cofagrigus@Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk IVs/ 0 SpAtk IVs
Nature: Bold/ Impish
-Protect
-Will-o-Wisp
-Night Shade
-Power Split
This thing absolutely neuters physical threats. Cofagrigus already has a huge Defense stat, and Will-o-Wisp only adds to his bulk. Power Split is the icing on top. For those unaware, Power Split adds Cofa's Atk with the target's Atk and Cofa's SpAtk with the target's SpAtk, and then splits it evenly between the two. This synergizes immensly with Cofagrigus's pitiful 122/136 Atk (Bold/Impish). Protect is to stall a turn of Leftovers recovery and Night Shade is to speed up the process.
The nature actually kinda matters. Impish helps Cofa sponge some weak special attackers after a Power Split, but Bold helps further neuter the likes of Garchomp and Scizor.
Mummy is huge, stopping Pokemon heavily reliant on their abilities, such as Azumarill, M-Mawile, Scizor, and Conkeldurr. Scizor and Conkeldurr in particular tremble at the sight of this Cofagrigus set. Scizor loses his precious Technician, and at the same time is burned while barely denting Cofagrigus with Bullet Punch or Pursuit.

-252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 90-106 (28.1 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Any thoughts on using the Coffin with Assault vest+ Infestation and 3 attacks? The idea is that it would have excellent defense already and even bulkier special defense. Infestation keeps the opponent trapped so they can't switch to a check or counter, the damage from infestation might help too. I guess you'd call it a trapping coffin tank. :) any thoughts?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
^The Iron Maiden. Main problem with this set is that you're blocking it from receiving any kind of passive regeneration at all, and trappers have to take a lot of punishment to do their job effectively. I'd suggest leaning the EV investment more towards the special side and giving Leftovers - it'll help it's survivability so much more than AV ever would. Of course, this way you can afford to run status moves as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)