Pokémon Cofagrigus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the OU board, so all these posts about moves and versus something banned from the tier are spamming the thread. So move this to PM please so we can keep the focus on his OU performance, thank you.

If only cofagrigus has access to things such as recover and cosmic power. It would be a beast of a staller.
As a defensive wall, I feel that there are a lot of tools that Coffy should have access to which would make it even more of a bigger threat.

Are there any items that Cofagrigus can take advantage of other than Leftovers?
Rocky Helmet (as Alonsinho mentioned above) can capitalize on Cofag's ability to take physical hits. However, this is kind of a one-use item, because opponents will tend to not use physical attacks once Rocky Helmet is revealed. Plus, physical attackers are scared of Will-o-wisp anyway, so they'll likely be switching out.

Chesto Berry is the only other item I can think of. When used alongside Rest, it provides Cofag with an instant recovery/status removing move. However, Pain Split is usually sufficient for healing thanks to its low HP.

Overall, it's hard to beat lefties in terms of usefulness and reliability. If you wanted to be super gimmicky, give it a Weakness Policy and hope you get hit with a Ghost/Dark move as you set up Trick Room.

Rocky Helmet (as Alonsinho mentioned above) can capitalize on Cofag's ability to take physical hits. However, this is kind of a one-use item, because opponents will tend to not use physical attacks once Rocky Helmet is revealed. Plus, physical attackers are scared of Will-o-wisp anyway, so they'll likely be switching out.

Chesto Berry is the only other item I can think of. When used alongside Rest, it provides Cofag with an instant recovery/status removing move. However, Pain Split is usually sufficient for healing thanks to its low HP.

Overall, it's hard to beat lefties in terms of usefulness and reliability. If you wanted to be super gimmicky, give it a Weakness Policy and hope you get hit with a Ghost/Dark move as you set up Trick Room.
You said Pain Split is usually Sufficent, but I can't find it in his move list on Serebii... Am I overlooking something?

Edit: it's a transfer only move. That kinda sucks.

Cofagrigus can be a bulky toxic spikes user, but it has to rely on rest , which isn't really reliable. This is an interesting set:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest
- Will-o-Wisp
Rest is deadweight since it leaves him completely vulnerable

I'd only use Rest alongside Chesto Berry, since Cofagrigus+Leftovers isn't very threatening with Sleep Talk, and even less threatening without it. Also, several supporting moves besides Toxic Spikes can still be used alongside Pain Split, such as Will-o-Wisp, Haze, and Knock Off. This is more than enough to mess with physical attackers and set-up mons. But when running Toxic Spikes, Rest+Chesto Berry provides the most longevity and utility.

Okay, would it be cool to run Red Card with Toxic Spikes and Infestation? Kinda gimmicky, but if you toxic spikes first, get hit with an attack, red card switches randomly, then infestation to trap the random new 'mon? It seems like that would really throw your opponent off his game. Toxic spikes would poison the new 'mon, and infestation damage would build up too.

I think this is the better idea:

Cofagrigus has a red card intact.
You use Infesation.
Attacker is sent out because of the Red Card, and a random undesirable becomes trapped. Then, lay your toxic spikes and pain split if necessary.

The only issue with toxic spiking after is the switch-in wont be poisoned.
Cofagrigus is slow as balls, it's more than likely that he'll be moving after the attacker that's getting carded. So you want to use Infestation first so you can trap the random switch-in as otherwise you'll be laying the spikes after they come in and they won't get poisoned anyway. Afraid you can't have your cake and eat it too in this situation.

Anyway, Red Card seems kind of counter-intuitive to me since Mummy can be used to force switches anyway, it's one-use only and his large bulk and lack of healing means Leftovers are quite useful. I'd think longevity would be more valuable than a chance at trapping a (random) Pokemon that would enable your team to set-up/one that Cofag can take on himself. And hey, you can still accomplish that by taking Infestation without a Red Card and trapping Pokemon that think Cofag will be an easy meal, then switching to a counter. Just build your team with that in mind.

So I skimmed through the thread and saw what seemed to be a CroFagrigus set. Could it really work? Sure it can't Pressure stall PP like the great CroCune, but it looks pretty damn good on paper especially with Cofagrigus' excellent defenses. It would also fit well in bulky offensive / semi-stall teams. Looked something like this iirc. Credit to whoever made the set though!

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Being completely walled by Normal types isn't great. Suicune has better overall bulk, an arguably more useful ability, and (crucially) Scald instead of Shadow Ball. Plus, it isn't weak to the omnipresent Knock Off. In other words, Cof really should never be used in this role over Suicune; rather, it should stick to its niche, which is actually a considerable one in this metagame.

I've had decent results (top 100 on PS the other day) using Cof on stall, which provides Cleric support (making Rest viable over Pain Split), a strong switch to Knock Off in M-Venu, and the ability to abuse the burn and Toxic damage Cof is liable to inflict. It can't be overstated how clutch Mummy can be either.

I think coffy is arguably one of the better haze users. Only time I really struggled to shut down baton pass teams was the one situation where the guy had like 3 taunters. Otherwise, he can at least be used as a one time stop to a boosting mega as long as defense is fully invested. If they get greedy you can often get a burn/haze off and then pain split to regain momentum. Still, you have to do some hard reads. In the case of a m-mawile, sometimes the better play is to pain split first just to get mummy transfered and then go for the burn, or haze right away if you're expecting them to swords dance again to 'nullify' burn status.

Instead of haze, try this set I used early in the generation:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Skill Swap
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

This set is fairly intuitive, but it's a counter-magic guard set. As they CM, skill swap and toxic them to force them to lose all their healths. Before starting a sweep, it can help to remove unaware to force a pokemon to be sac'd as you boost to get unaware back. Even stealing Magic bounce is kind of fun to break through and toxic. There are a lot of variations, but it was a faster endgame than haze to stoping MG CM Clefable.

May I recommend a set that is easily countered but if it's not it's hard break. It's a resto-chesto set with a bold nature max max hp and def with 4 in sp def. Calm mind hex will-o-wisp and rest, personally I love thisset just be careful when using it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)