Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Day 12: Which song/theme is the most nostalgic?
Ah the littleroot music, first pokemon theme music i heard. but in general the ones which really bring me back to my first days of playing pokemon are petalburg, oldale, rustboro, the petalburg forest, and little root. excuse me, i need to cry *cries*

Day 11: Contests. I've actually been craving a game dedicated to contests for some time because I think there is a huge untapped market there for all of the Contest hyping they did in the anime. Contests were really fun to raise Pokemon for and they could have gotten even better. Probably will never see them again, sadly.

Day 12: I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was.

There are a lot of in game tunes that I really dig, like the end credits music in Emerald or the "outside the Pokemon League" music in Platinum, but none make me well up with joy quite like the original anime theme.

Last edited:
Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon?
If we are including all related media, then probably the first episode of the anime. I dont have much memories from it aside from stuff like pikachu using thundershock on ash repeatdly, and all the angry spearows but it was definitely my first contact with the series.
Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon?
A doduo in pokemon ruby safari zone. I only realized it was shiny when i clicked the ''Run'' button...
Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"?
Counting all the mons i have from gen 3 and gen 4 that i migrated to gen 5 plus the ones i caught there, i think i have over 500 iirc.
Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon?
Never evolved a mon legitmately to level 100. Ill probably do it in XY.
Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why?
Garchomp. Its so fucking badass, got banned in gen 4 (and for awhile in gen 5), is cynthia sign mon nuff said
Day 6: Which Pokémon rumors did you believe when you were younger?
That missingno caused people nightmares.
Day 7: Which aspect of XY are you looking forward to the most?
The so called ''balance'' mechanics that gamefreak seems to be keen on implementing
Day 8: What are your Pokémon "quirks"?
I feel obligated to own every single pokemon existant. This mean that i feel the need of having separately a bulbasaur, ivysaur and venusaur instead of simply getting a bulbasaur and evolving it to its final level to fill the dex for example.
Day 9: What is your favorite region and why?
Sinnoh. The changes from gen 3 to gen 4 were huge asthetic wise and mechanic wise, the sprites, towns, the move animations looked so great at the time that i have great fond memories of truly immersing into a brand new generation of pokemon, not to mention the first game to have wifi play and Garchomp.
Day 10: If you could change one thing about the Pokémon games, what would it be?
I would remove luck based factors entirely.
Day 11: What is your favorite mini-game?
Dunno.

Day 12: Most Nostalgic Song

Wow, there's so many choices here I don't know to start; I've been playing since the days of RBY.

I really got into pokemon during Gen 3, so I'd have to go with either Littleroot Town or the Surfing OST. Littleroot town just feels like a new beginning, but the surfing really brings me back. Its calm, relaxing, and I loved the feeling of just floating aimlessly on the water since I love the ocean. So yeah, definitely the surfing OST.

Day 9: Hoenn was amazing, the diversity of the region was really interesting. However, one of my main criteria for best region is Victory Road, and I hated the Hoenn victory road. So for my favourite region of all I'll have to say Unova in BW2. The early game areas of Flocessy Ranch and Virbank City were realy enjoyable, with the exception of Pokestar Studios. BW2 had a fantastic volcano and a generally fun storyline. I absolutely loved the Hidden Grottoes, and Humilau City is up there with my favourite town of all time. Victory Road in BW2 was its main draw, though. It wasn't just traversing a cave - you were often climbing mountains and surfing waterfalls.
Day 10: Several people have mentioned HMs, and I agree. I don't mind having HMs in the game, but why why why are they not removable like any other move!? Defog and Cut in DPP were both so enraging.
Day 11: I never enjoyed any of the minigames throughout the games (blasphemy, I know). If I had to choose I would say Gen 4 Contests, just because you weren't actually forced to do them!
Day 12: Hmmm Littleroot town. Ruby was the first time I played one of the games through from start to finish so that music has stuck with me

Day 11 - Favorite Minigame: Probably the PokeAthlon, hands down.

Day 12 - Which song/theme is the most nostalgic:
I'm not sure here, but if i had to pick just two...I'd have to say GSC's Champion theme mainly b/c of how stoked it makes me feel, and then the Hoenn theme song. The theme is literally what made me go buy Sapphire and Emerald.

Day 12: I would have associated nostalgia with rby or gsc, but we have FRLG and HGSS already. There is little nostaglia I have left for kanto or johto. I would have to go with Littleroot town, as Hoenn music at the moment is the oldest after the release of HGSS.

I'd love if you would explain why, but it is not required.
Also note that this question is not "What is your favorite song?"

The tag for youtube videos is [.media=youtube](string at the end of the url)[/media]
Just remove the period before "media"! Please use hide tags as well to prevent loading lag.
It's not hard to understand why I feel nostalgic about this; for many of us, me included, this was the beginning of Pokémon. :D

This reminds me of the Rayquaza battle where I was so desperate I used up all my balls, and caught it with a Repeat Ball. Couldn't even catch it with a Timer Ball...

Day 11: What is your favorite mini-game (contests, musicals, Pokéathlon, underground, etc.)?

Pokestar studios with Pokeathlon in a close second. It is just so fun to go through and break the script to get a funny ending.

Day 12
: Which song/theme is the most nostalgic?

I don't listen to the music in-game, so I don't really have one.

Why is it called Silence Bridge? Why would a bear come down from the mountains just to strategically place itself in the middle of the docks? Why does that Fisherman have so many Magikarp? Why does my Hitmonchan get to have Fire, Electric and Ice Attacks but suck at all of them?

Who cares. I'm on a freakin' adventure. Sun's at my side, Ninetales' at the top of my party, and we just caught ourselves a Snorlax. Onward to the southern half of the map.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Man, i listen to ALL kinds of Pokemon OSTs at any time, its just calming, between my Favs are:

Holy crap i have MUCH more, namely red/lance theme in HeartGold and SoulSilver, Hoenn champion in RSE, final battle with Green in RBY (not the FireRed/LeafGreen), the piano before Cynthia, Opelucid City (White), Ever Grande City, LittleRoot and Pallet Town, Eterna City/Solaceon Town, and much, much more. Generally i like themes because of the chill feeling to them, which help me calm down during homework or even laddering on PO, where i need to cool off. Other times, i just feel like i need something to pump up, which is why i love the Champion themes (except Unova ones, aw fuck).

P.D. i just spammed the thread, didnt I? :]

Last edited:

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
The Elite Four theme from RSE provokes the most nostalgic feelings for me. When I hear that, I'm ten years old again, blood pumping fast and shivers running down my spine as my Sceptile and I fly into glorious battle. It's glorious music for laddering on PS as well - I wonder why I don't remember to put it on that often.

Last edited:

Bull of Heaven

The Hoenn games are just packed with nostalgic music for me. You'd think the original Gold/Silver versions would be too, but maybe I just didn't play those with the sound on as often or something. Picking just two pieces of Hoenn music was an interesting task; the battle themes of the legendary Pokemon, elite four and champion are all very deserving, but didn't make the cut. I used two slightly different methods to pick each of my two videos. First, one of my favourite pieces of music in the entire Pokemon series, and one I've occasionally listened to while battling on PS:
In my head, I often add Mightyena's cry early on, since both of the trainers that use this theme always lead with Mightyena. As for the second video, I went with a piece that I don't even particularly like, but that often comes to mind when I think of the Hoenn games and never seems to have trouble getting into my head:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I think my favourite two have already been mentioned by these guys :D

Day 12 - Favourite theme would be GSC's champion theme. Route music would probably be when you first enter Kanto in GSC.
The GSC Champion Theme 100% fitted the style of the battle that was about to go down. You were meeting your mentor essentially in a battle that would go down in history. You've traveled through Johto exploring, helped Lance take down Team Rocket in Mahogany Town and now after showing you his awesome power there, you have to step up and really take it to him. That battle really confirms why Lance is the champion really... 3 Dragonite, Charizard, Aerodactyl and a Gyarados all with powerful moves which are very scary if they can get them off.

Oh man... This piece of music... Its 100% contrast to the previous, but Jesus christ the feels. The first time I made it here I was really pumped up for the Elite 4. Empoleon, Golem, Luxray, Staraptor (And Uxie & Dialga) were my team at that point, and when this beautiful music started playing it sort of shook me to the point were I stopped and was just like "Wow... Here we are". It definitely has that sort of remembrance feeling to it and it chills you out before the toughest five fights in the game. I even used this theme in a Uni assignment for a Learn to Touch type game as it fitted the general aesthetics :)

Others I guess worth mentioning are the Archie/Maxi battle music (Because dem trumpets), Champion Blue, The Plasma battle music (electro riff ftw) and then probably the Ghestis music at the end of BW1... That track gave such a sense of total
foreboding to that match, like if you lost its the end of everything. Also I quite liked the Colress battle theme on the Plasma Frigate (5......4......3......2......1.....).

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Viridian Forest (GSC Version)

My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Silver. I played it a lot when I was a kid and it was my favourite game by a long shot, but when I entered my teens, I basically "quit" Pokemon for a while. I believed that it would be uncool for me to continue playing Pokemon as a teenager and beyond.

When I was 15 years old or so, I randomly got the urge to play Pokemon again. I have no idea what triggered it, but I decided to pull out my Game Boy and my copy of Silver and played through it again (I was unaware that the batteries ran dry more quickly than normal in these games, but luckily it still saved fine). I had a blast. It was such a joy to be able to rediscover this game again. I loved the Pokemon and the cities and the characters, but most of all I loved all of the great music! Whether it was New Bark Town, Goldenrod City or Victory Road, listening to these tunes again was bringing back memories of my childhood.

But it wasn't until I emerged from the western exit of Diglett's Cave that I was hit with a wave a nostalgia. I enjoyed hearing all of the music again, but it was this particular song that really brought me back to my 10-year-old self. I have no idea why it was this song that did it to me, but for whatever reason I'll always have a special attachment to it, even if it isn't necessarily my absolute favourite from the game.

Runner-Up: GSC Kanto Gym Battle Music!!!!!

The awesome tutorial music from all games :D.

The kanto route 1 is very nostalgic as well, the start of everything

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon? Trying to figure out how to play the TCG game boy colour game which I got randomly from dad.
Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon? Poliwag whilst surfing in a gen 2 game.
Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"? About 300 in pokemon diamond
Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon? Scizor in pokemon diamond
Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why? Magmar, I always thought it looked cool, was rare, powerful and more fun to use than charizard.
Day 6: Which Pokémon rumors did you believe when you were younger? Trying get Mew from underneath a truck in pokemon yellow
Day 7: Which aspect of XY are you looking forward to the most? The new pokemon
Day 8: What are your Pokémon "quirks"? Not sure what defines quirks, always willing to discuss pokemon with anyone maybe.
Day 9: What is your favorite region and why? Unova, not a tonne of water or filled with annoying caves which required holding onto useless hm slaves a lot.
Day 10: If you could change one thing about the Pokémon games, what would it be? The crit function, i'd love crits to only be able to have a chance to occur if a pokemon has boosted their stats.
Day 11: What is your favorite mini-game? Lickitung thing from pokemon stadium

:)

"Vermilion" City has always been a favorite of mine, but when they redid it for HGSS, it sent me bawling.

Start at 5:12

There's plenty, but since I only get two I'll widdle it down to these:

Violet City's theme (also shared with Olivine) is the first theme that popped into my noggin when I thought of Gold/Silver, so I guess that means it's ear-wormed pretty deep. This is the site of your first gym match in Johto, against a leader who seems to prefer Kanto 'mons (show some local pride, man) and gives you a ground TM (maybe he wants you to lose in the rematch?). It's the point in the game where you realize that your journey is finally taking shape and you're put to your first real test, but I always just think of Gen II when I hear it. Since the day/night cycle followed real-time (and I never felt the need to trick the game), and I usually played this in the late hours, I always remember arriving here at night. The opening solo beats and low notes fit that sorta-dark mood really well.

The other is from the Trading Card Game, a spin-off that has no business being as good as it is. Thankfully the music lives up to the rest of the game, and Hudson Soft managed to conjure up some beats that still sound catchy even after potentially hearing them for several minutes at a time in a stall match (or when you can't get a good coin flip to save your sanity). If I had to pick one to represent the whole thing, it'd be the world map, though the regular duel theme is a stronger contender. Not only do you hear it all the time, but the it has a great build-up and some really nice overlapping melodies. Makes me remember the hours I poured into this thing trying to construct decks I couldn't possibly build outta real cards since I wasn't loaded.

As I've mentioned before, my first touch with the games was Pokemon Gold. I don't think I ever gave too much note to a majority of the music, however, the Champion theme is something I've remembered since the time I first heard it. The very beginning of the track just sets this feeling of an epic battle to come. It's something you don't forget all that easily.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon? I might have seen the anime sooner, but my first real memory of Pokémon was opening a pack of 2nd Edition Pokémon cards. All I remember from that pack was a Metapod and a Bulbasaur. I have that Bulbasaur still, no word on Metapod though.
Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon? Probably Red Gyarados. Aside from that though, it would probably be a shiny Marill I didn't have PokeBalls to catch with in Ruby :( I caught a shiny Numel later, named it SUPERNUMEL, and was really afraid to evolve it because I didn't think it would be shiny after evolving. I later found this wasn't true and was very happy... and then my younger brother restarted my game on me. I still haven't forgiven him entirely. I eventually caught another shiny Camerupt, and named it Memorerupt in... well, memory.
Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"? I've never obtained a legitimate Deoxys, Genesect (PokeCheck doesn't count) or Swoobat. That's it.
Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon? Typhlosion in Pokémon Silver. One of my brothers wiped that save file too...
Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why? If I had to pick one: Tynamo - it is the most adorable thing ever omg
Day 6: Which Pokémon rumors did you believe when you were younger? HOLD EVERY BUTTON OR YOU CAN'T CATCH GROUDON. I also believed for a short time that Solarbeam didn't work against faster Pokémon in Sun. I was trying to catch Groudon at the time using Rayquaza, so...
Day 7: Which aspect of XY are you looking forward to the most? I can't really pick one thing. I'm pretty much hyped for everything. Perhaps the "whole new adventure" aspect. I still had it in BW and BW2, even though I knew many or all of the Pokémon beforehand - Unova was absolutely beautiful to look at and to listen to, and watching the intro segue into Aspertia City's beautiful music together with my girlfriend is an experience I'll never forget.
Day 8: What are your Pokémon "quirks"? I'm not sure how much of a "quirk" this really is, but I'm not bothered by competitive aspects of the game when I play the story. I hear all the time that "oh no I know competitive Pokémon now, my ingame experience is ruined" and I honestly think that's a load of horseshit. It makes it more interesting and adds a bit more depth, in my opinion. If I needed to grind in a certain area, I'd know that beating all of those Zubat would make my Pokémon faster and more likely to land big hits before the Gym Leaders. Ampharos became one of my favorite Pokémon after playing through White 2, and there are so many other Pokémon I've come to appreciate more because of their performance ingame - some of them competitively, even. I might never have used Serperior in NU if I didn't use it in White 2.
Day 9: What is your favorite region and why? Hoenn. I like water routes, and anyone who thinks that's weird can get the fuck out because I will crush you with a team of Pelipper / Wailord / Tentacruel / Sharpedo / Gorebyss / Lanturn. Unless you counterteam me. Asshole. Hoenn is also the place where Ruby and Emerald - two of my favorite games - took place. It's got a bit of everything.
Day 10: If you could change one thing about the Pokémon games, what would it be? Bring back the Game Corner :(
Day 11: What is your favorite mini-game? Original contests, Pokeathlon, and Voltorb Flip.
Day 12: Which song/theme is the most nostalgic? Well... shit. I'm never going to decide on this one.
The Pokemon main theme is always amazing. This is just one way to make it more amazing.
New Bark Town <3
Lugia's Theme from Pokemon 2000
Miror B's XD theme
I'm nowhere near done here. Chem lecture, gotta run

Last edited:
The most nostalgic would have to be RBY battle theme:
As well as their gym leader theme:
I've been hearing these tunes (from multiple replays) for years on end from when I was 6 to 8. If it didn't get imbedded into my noggin from that, I don't know what would.

Now, these are far from my favorites, so I'll have to wait for a possible related question in the future.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well obviously the original anime theme is the winner, but seeings how we're talking about the games (I assume) I'm gonna go ahead and say...

On my very first Pokemon journey, I received my very first starter, Charmander, and took my very first step to becoming a Pokemon master. This is what you hear first (and a lot of) so it stuck with me. I can't imagine strolling through Kanto without this playing in my head. Actually, my second most nostalgic song is probably for a similar reason...

Although this tune brings back many memories, I absolutely hate it! I would always turn off the sound when I wanted to ride my bike. I don't know why I didn't just fly everywhere. Biking was fun, and I like cycling road. But the music just annoyed me. But at the same time I remember it with such fondness. It just brings back all the memories I had of RBY. The surfing music is a close 3rd too

I'm hoping everyone here has heard of that Pokemon Symphony album. The first time I heard that it set the nostalgia levels to overload! I often turn my game sound off and play the themes from that instead. So good!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)