Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Day 4: My first level 100 was my Genesect. I've also gotten a level 100 Deoxys, Dialga, and Palkia (all from the recent events).

Day 5: My favorite is Lucario. It just looks amazing, not to mention its 110 Attack and 115 SpA, which, alongside its huge movepool, gives me a lot of freedom for what I want to do. Also, it appears on SSBB, which is one of my favorite games, and, in the cutscenes in campain mode, does totally amazing things.

I would also like to mention Serperior and Riolu, for coming in a close second and third, respectively.

Day 5: Ah yes, the dreaded question every Pokemon fan gets asked at some point. What is your favorite Pokemon? I think it's a bit of a trick question - sure, I like some Pokemon more than others (fuck you mr. mime), but I wouldn't play the game if I only had one favorite.

The closest I can get is Ditto because he is a pimp and I respect him for that.

Day 3: Pokemon yellow I got 150 twice, and Emerald I got them all.

Day 4: First level 100, well be on BW2 my "Electric Mono type" team all of them (Magnazone, Jolteon, Rotom, Eelektross, Electrivire, Galvantula)

Day 5: Favourite pokémon!? Really.. Okey

Electric types:

-Raichu, he is just majestic, cute and badass at the same time. (Nickname: Raioh)
-Rotom, is just cute, come on it is. (Nickname: Pluseman)
-Eelektross, he freaking fly! (Nickname: Volteel
-Galvantula, nice moves and awesome design. (the male one "Web Spider" the female one "Charlotte")
-Jolteon, since he got hidden power ice on b2 XD (Nickname: Sparkman)
-Luxray, he is just magnificent (Nickname: Aioria)
-Electrivire, Big food electric thing, just loved it (Nickname: Plugman)
-Lanturn, SURF, ICE BEAM, THUNDER... (Nickname: Flashman)
-Minun, has blue in his/her body that's it, no more explanations (Nickname: Sparky)
-Zebstrika, electric Zebra, no arguments needed. (Nickname: Pegasolta)

-Raikou, giant tiger who is the incarnation of the thunder itself. (Nickname: Battlecat)
-Zekrom, you know what is awesome? Dragons and electricity, mix together and you have Zekrom (Nickname: Red-Eyes)

Lizard Looking monster thing Pokes:

-*SNAP* Charizard, he is a giant fire lizard-non dragon but looking dragon thing (Nickname: Fefnir)
-Feraligatr, 2.40 m alligator who can slice and chomp everything around him and swim tru the great wattefall of Rozan. inb4 is blue too. (Nickname: Godzilla)
-Sceptile, this guy is everything opposite of all grass types at the time, he is fast and deadly (Nickmane: Raptor)
-Rhyperior, I never was a fan of Rhydon, but this guy... is just pure win, I even don't know why. (Nickname: Tanktor)
-Nidoking, is a **** f**** mutant bunny rhynoceros with bad attitude (Nickname: Hornking)
-Aggron, after Steven kick my sorry *** with it, I dicide to train one and defeat him using my very own Aggron (Nickname: Tri-horn)
-Krookodile, Feraligatr lost cousin. /Argument (Nickname: "El Coco")
-Tyrunt (and evo):

Salamence and Haxorus (shiny): -Insert argument- (Salamence NN: Mazinger Z, Haxorus (shiny) Darkness)

Bird Pokemon:

There's the story of a kid who playing pkmn yellow found the legendary Pidgeotto level 9 on viridian forest, trained it and level it up, years later another kid found a pidgey level 3 and along with his loyal Totodile conquer the Jotho region...

Pidgeot my favourite among all birds, no excuse. /Nostalgia/argument/istotallyunfairandoverratedbutigiveadamn.

Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why?
This is never an easy question because there's some many 'mons I like that end up being my 'favorite' at different times. It changes like moods sometimes. Picking a definitive "one" is like trying to pick a favorite sibling or memory or even episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I mean, how can I hold one higher than the other when so many have been on top at some point?

But that's a cop-out answer so I'll try and narrow it down.

In Gen the First it was all about two 'mons: Vulpix and Rattata. It clicked with both of them almost immediately. When most kids were content with the 'Zard, the 'Two, the Mew-without-the-two, and the 'Nite, I went with the girly fox and the Pokemon equivalent of the Foot Soldiers from Ninja Turtles. But I didn't choose them, guys - they chose me. It wasn't a little love either, I was downright obsessed. I tracked down any trading card of the duo I could find, including then-unreleased Japanese ones, and I still have my gold star promo Brock's Vulpix from Wizard Magazine and Japanese-only vending machine Rattata. Not to mention the KFC Vulpix plush. Heck man I even named my hotmail account after 'Pix, which I still use as my junk account to this day.

Besides them, Phanpy remains another "sometime favorite". Aside from being on almost every in-game team I've ever made (seriously it's like Guile's Theme - goes with anything), I just think she's so gosh-darn CUTE. Gen II remains my absolute favorite of the whole bunch, even if it doesn't necessarily have a lot of my favorites in it, but It's got Phan. Pokemon Crystal in particular lets you catch one at the very beginning of the game, so it's like she becomes my replacement starter. Sorry Totodile, you're great and all, but get back to me when you can shoot water out your nose.

P.S. - Special shout-outs to Miltank, Cranidos, and Aerodactyl.
P.P.S - Favorite Fresh Prince ep is the one where Will gets hexed.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Favourite Pokémon? Damn, that's a hard one. If forced to answer, I'd say it's a draw between Machamp and Alakazam. They've been there since the very start, one representing the ultimate Physical power, the other the ultimate Special power. To date, no Pokémon beat Machamp in sheer muscle power, or Alakazam in brain power (though, I guess the Lake Trio come dangerously close to the latter). Alakazam and Machamp were also notorious in the sense that you needed a Link Cable to obtain them, as well as a friend who wouldn't cheat on you. However, once obtained, they... ok Alakazam... mashed all resistance the game threw at you. Machamp just looked kinda derpy in-game, and fell prey to faster (or special) attackers, but it was very cool on cards. In real life, and the imagination of a nine-year-old, these two were the Pokémon you'd be dumbest to even try to attack. Alakazam would never let you closer to it than a few metres before teleporting away (or repeatedly throw you across the room without blinking an eye), whereas Machamp would stop any attempts at harming it with a shrug, and then proceed to fling the attacker across the horizon (and/or into orbit).

If forced to choose either of them... I guess Machamp wins. Honorable mentions go to a lot of others, too many to list here.

Day 1: So I was one of those kids whose parents thought Pokemon were evil Japanese demons... yeah. So when the Pokemon craze went through my elementary school, my brother and I weren't able to buy any packs of cards. We did accumulate a few cards from friends and kept them hidden from mom and dad :p. My first time playing the game was more memorable though. It happened probably a year later or so when a friend of mine from Japan gave my brother and I a GameBoy cart with something like 100 games in 1. At the very top of the list of games were Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow! It was like Christmas morning since I new my parents would never have bought the game for me. I absolutely loved the game (even though I don't think I was ever able to beat it) and I very specifically remember being overjoyed when Rattata of all things evolved for me.

Days 2 and 3: Funnily enough, my first legit shiny experience was a few days ago while I started to complete as much of the pokedex as I can on White 2. I traded for a Nidoking and start breeding for the female line (as well as it's pre-evos). After hatching a few eggs, I got what I needed, but was left with one leftover egg. I mostly forgot about it, but kept it in my party. Eventually, the egg hatched- a shiny nidoran(f)! It has a Bold nature and fairly decent IVs as well. I also realized afterwards I had unintentionally used the Masuda method :p As for pokedex completion, I've never seriously tried before, but I'm up to 447 caught, 540 seen on W2.

Day 4: I finally got to level 100 with a few Pokemon in White 2. It's ridiculously more easy to do than earlier games. I eventually want to get my entire in-game team there. Emboar was first followed shortly by N's Zoroark, Haxorus, and Ferrothorn.

Day 5: This always changes for me, and I feel like there is never a serious reason behind it, other than overall awesomeness. Right now, mine would have to be Volcarona. Having access to Quiver Dance pretty much sets it apart from other awesome Pokemon for me, and it has a sick unique typing.

For the longest time, I felt without a Pokemon that perfectly represented everything I wanted. I love fire, I love things which are on the side of good, I love speed and agility, I love Pokemon which are useful in battle, and I love Pokemon which I can watch evolve over the whole or most of the game. I dislike dragons, and I love birds and mammals. I love diversity of types and options so I can experience an old favorite in multiple ways/

In RBY, Moltres was a tricky card to play at best, often banned in play with other people since it was a legend. Didn't have the best official art. Ninetales was my friend, but it never felt right. The vengeance thing bugged me.
In GSC, Entei not only faced the prejudice against legends, he was just plain useless. Ninetales took a bit of a nerf in the Special Split, and other old favorites were starting to bore me with their very straightforward play.
In RuSa, I thought I had learned to love another, but Blaziken just felt weird. The design felt too alien. I couldn't take the flaming chicken jokes. I wanted to know what the hell Nintendo was doing. Not to mention it was slow.

Then came my friend.

My ally.

My partner.

Infernape. He was fast, he had a diverse movepool. You had reasons to hold back his leveling (improve him as a special player with longevity) and reasons to unleash him immediately (MAXIMUM POWER) as well as reasons to hold him in his middle form for a long time, since the final moves of middle were different from beginning. His design was rocking. He was a starter. He was the very first fire-type I saw after the paucity of them Generation III.

You can punch like Machamp and get STAB with Brick Break, but you'll never break walls like my INFERNAPE!

I am somewhat late to the party here, but:

Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon? It was Christmas. I was 9 years old. My aunt and uncle gave me a Gameboy Color and Pokemon Red. I was excited, having heard some amazing things about Pokemon but not really knowing what it was, so I pretty much abandoned the rest of my present opening, inserted the cartridge into the Gameboy, and started playing. Cue disappointment... For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get out of the house where I started! It was so frustrating, and I kept talking to my ingame mom and the tv and standing on the mat for like an hour before giving up and passing the Gameboy over to my dad. Within minutes, he had exited the house and chosen his first Pokemon, Charizard. I asked him how he did that and he told me. He gave the Gameboy back to me, and I restarted and picked Bulbasaur as my travelling companion. The rest is history!

Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon? The Red Gyarados in Silver... unfortunately, I have never seen a shiny in any of my Pokemon games that wasn't already pre-programmed to be shiny :( I've gotten PokeRus on about 5 separate occasions though!

Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"? I actually have no idea. I've always been far too lazy to actually attempt to complete any Pokedex, instead opting to complete story mode and battle as many trainers as possible. I try to catch my favorites + legendaries + anything that's useful for beating gym leaders + E4, but that's pretty much it. If I had to guess, I'd say my Red Version Pokedex is probably closest to completion, if only because I really enjoyed exploiting the Master Ball and Mew glitches. The Mew glitch can actually make all sorts of different Pokemon appear depending which trainer you battle after flying away from the fast trainer, so I just kept exploiting it out of sheer curiosity for what I'd run into next. So for me, the glitchiness of RBY is actually a selling point of sorts-- it's really fun to try exploiting these glitches and seeing what happens! Plus it makes me feel like a badass~

Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon? My Meganium in Silver, which I traded over to Crystal after I had already beaten Red in that game. It still lives on to this day, though its days are definitely numbered given the fact that the internal battery to that Crystal game is going to die soon. My Silver version already has died.

Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why? Lanturn, followed closely by Articuno.

Lanturn because she's a really cute take on the badassery of the Anglerfish. The anglerfish is an example of a species where the female is the awesome one and the male is basically just a swimming testicle, so the appeal of such a species to someone like me should be obvious, hahaha. Not only that, but the females lure their prey with a sac containing bioluminescent bacteria, and they live in the darkest depths of the ocean and have HUUUUGE teeth... what's not to love? My fascination with the anglerfish is, of course, half inside joke and half real fascination, but I absolutely love the way Gamefreak chose to represent this sea creature in Lanturn.

Articuno is my other favorite because it's such a beautiful Pokemon that I can't help but love it. Its majestic wings, long flowing tail, and noble crest all make it the most aesthetically pleasing Pokemon of all in my opinion. Plus, it can pretty much solo the RBY E4 except for Lorelei, so using it is quite satisfying. I LOVE the RBY Ice Beam animation and sound!

Honorable mentions go to Venusaur, Gloom/Vileplume/Bellossom, Zapdos, Lugia, Ho-oh, Entei/Raikou/Suicune, Meganium, Ampharos, TTar, Celebi, Serperior, Chandelure, Eevee+Eeveelutions, Flygon, Breloom, skitty/meowth/purrloin, Fennekin, Froakie, Inkay, Xerneas, and lots of others because I just love Pokemon in general!

---
EDIT: I'm gonna edit in all the subsequent days as they appear because I don't really wanna pc++ and it's nice having all my answers in one convenient post :3

Day 6: Which Pokémon rumors did you believe as a child? Pffft more like which ones *didn't* I believe?! I was a gullible 3rd grader, what can I say? I totally tried to find Mew under that stupid truck, and I spent forever looking for Bill's Secret Garden. I also heard you could battle Professor Oak if you beat the E4 99 times, and that you could get Ghost Pokemon to appear in Rock Tunnel before you got to Lavender town but they were just extremely rare. I also thought that there were all sorts of new Pokemon beyond the boundaries that were programmed in (especially that grass right outside of Pallet Town), so once I discovered the Walk Through Walls glitch, you can imagine my disappointment. In my defense, a lot of the Pokemon rumors turned out to be true too, like the Old Man glitch, the real Mew glitch, and Glitch City... those only added fuel to the rumor-fire, and I really think that it was the fun of discovering new things like this and finding out which rumors were actually true that made RBY as amazing as it was!

And when my younger brother started playing in the GSC gen, I did troll him a bit by making stuff up on my own. For example, I told him you actually needed to exit Whitney's gym and go back in again before Whitney would give you the Plain Badge (rather than just having that girl talk to you and then talking to Whitney). I also told him that Abra only appeared once in the entire game, so if it escaped, he should turn the game off because he'd never have another chance at it otherwise muahahah. I was kind of a jerk, but whatever... he figured it out eventually and we laughed it off. And now we pretty much always talk about Pokemon whenever we're in the same room!

Last edited:

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Day 6: Which Pokémon rumors did you believe when you were younger?

Oh man, this will be fun. I won't call it a rumor, but something that a friend told me and I believed, ingeniously.

I had my GameBoy Advance SP and I was playing Pokémon Versione Argento (Silver). I had just stolen that Eevee from the Kanto region. Yeah, I won the Pokémon League and left Jhoto to start a new journey at Kanto. Eevee was goddam beautiful and I didn't know on what evolve it. There was Jolteon, Flareon and Vaporeon, but none of them caught my attention. Instead, I saw mah friend's Absol in his Emerald version and I was like "WTF is that wapapapapapapapapapapow fox!" He told me that it was an Absol and I asked how could I get it. He told me that it evolved from Eevee. Such a fgt.

Meh, I believed in him and started to train my Eevee until it got lvl 70 as he told me. You know what? It didn't evolve. My friend disappeared. I never saw him again.

ANDRES, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, IMA KILL YOU DUDE.

-----evolves into at lvl. 70----->

WTFOX. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Let's see... my friend (yes the same one with the Swampert) used to tell me a lot of BS about Pokemon. He told me that there was a secret facility in RSE and if you went to it and beat all of the staff your pokemon would be able to level past 100. Also he told me about the "watery orb" move that only Swampert could learn that was OHKO, always went first, and never missed. More rumors I believed (I was a gullible child) were the ones on Youtube that said you could enter/leave building xyz a certain number of times and then you could find event legends.

Another one of my friends believed the Iron Island Jirachi rumor, and I actually watched him attempt it. Let's just say it didn't go well for him.

Uhm I don't remember much, but I'm pretty sure I believed that you could on the patches of grass outside Pallet Town and the dear old mew-under-the-truck...until I tried moving that thing with Strength and nothing happened :V

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a good one.

When I was in like pre-school/kindergarten, I thought Rhydon had an evolution called Rhynox. Basically I had this confused with the Rhynocs from Spyro.

I also believed that Jirachi and Deoxys were somehow related, and that they were "brothers" (whatever that would mean) I guess they are somewhat related though, both being Psychic types from space. But yeah, no direct story connection.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Day 6:

I remember shortly before Fire-Red and Leaf-Green came out, somebody at my school told me that it was possible to go to the Mossdeep Space Station in Ruby and take a trip on a space shuttle. Doing so would supposedly allow you to find an egg containing a Deoxys prevo called Doxlet. It didn't occur to me that this person could be wrong, since he had Internet access and I didn't, so I tried everything I could think of to unlock this event. When I got Fire-Red and Leaf-Green for Chanuka, I forgot all about it, only remembering this happened when I was old enough to know it was bullshit.

Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon?
I was around the release of Pokemon Red and Blue in the US. I was in the car explaining to my parents the concept of the games on the way to Montgomery Ward's (does anyone else remember this retail chain?) in town. I remember showing it to them at the store. My dad secretly bought Red for me while we were at the mall and gave it to me about a week later. I must have played through it (and Blue as I eventually got them both) multiple times with each starter.

I specifically remember the frustration of trying to take out Starmie with Charmeleon's Rage and then feeling stoked when I finally got past it. I also remember loving using Hitmonchan for all the elemental punches. In retrospect, I don't know how I managed to have the patience to use them without the special/physical split, but alas I chose Hitmonchan every time.

Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon?
I had never ran into a shiny for the longest time. Though I would when I heard of people having them, I never really cared or payed attention too much. One day I was in the Great Marsh in Platinum and a shiny Yanma appeared. I was stoked but it ran away... :( From there I was determined to catch one, so I looked up how to use the PokeRadar to hunt for them and used a Magnet Pull Pokemon to find a shiny Mareep and a shiny Magnemite.

Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"?
Definitely in my Pokemon Red and Blue days. I cheated and used a Game Shark, though...

Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon?
Like most people, I had done the 99 Rare Candies glitch to level up my team in Red and Blue. I remember having a level 100 Charizard, Beedrill, and Chansey at one point.

Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why?
I know they suck, but Ice types have always been my favorite, so Jynx has been my favorite since the first gen. I have always been frustrated at her absence from the majority of the games' National Dexes (please fix this X/Y). I liked her sprite, her typing, her rarity, and her Lovely Kiss attack.

Recently, Rotom was my favorite through my Diamond/Pearl/Platinum games. I loved the sprite (refused to use the appliance versions, I liked regular Rotom too much).

Day 6: Which Pokémon rumors did you believe as a child?
Pikablu. Beat the Elite 4 five times and then a garden will open up with "Secret Gen 2 Pokemon" including Pikablu. (And yes, it was Pikablu, not Marrill)

I can safely say I've never believed in any bullshit rumors as a kid. I pride myself on making sure every piece of information I hear is credible and has a good source backing it up. When you discover the truth, it's all the more satisfying, especially once you meticulously hunt down credible information. I still can't believe how much awesome stuff Gamefreak has packed within these new games as more and more of the rumors and leaks have become true. I can't wait to play with a CharXzone all my own!

Day 1:
My first memory of Pokemon is undoubtedly the day I got my first game ever, Pokemon Yellow, as a birthday gift from my grandparents. I don't remember why I was so excited, perhaps I had watched the anime before or seeing others play the cards, I'm not sure. I remember opening that gift rabidly and being super pumped to play with a Pikachu! I was hooked from that moment on, and I knew that especially because my parents would yell at me to "get off that gameboy!" and to "put down the pokeman game for once!" I remember training my Pikachu up a lot only to be disappointed that it wouldn't evolve, not even for its favorite trainer.. I remember having a team of Pikachu, Pidgeot, Vaporeon, and Alakazam as well as the other two I can't quite recall. I just remember massacring everyone with my Alakazam!

Those were the days.

Day 2:
My first shiny experience wasn't until SoulSilver (excluding Red Gyarados) and it was with this little guy:

A nice little golden Hoothoot! Sadly, my SoulSilver was stolen with my 3DS (which I worked hard to pay for :( ), so I no longer have it. I have run into a few others since then, such as a shiny Pidove (during a Nuzlocke challenge and I had no Pokeballs left), and recently in Black 2 where I have encountered a shiny Goldeen! I've also encountered a few others I can't remember.

Day 3:
I have never, ever come close to catching em all. The closest is in my Black 2 game where I have a good bit actually. I think I'm in the later 500s right now.

Day 4:
My first ever level 100 Pokemon didn't actually happen until Pokemon Pearl. It was my awesome Staraptor (nicknamed Star). I think solo'd Pearl many, many times with Staraptor, and it was my favorite Pokemon that I had in my party. When entering the Elite Four the first time, I think it was the highest level on my team, at like level 65 or something. My Empoleon was only like level 55, so that just shows how much more I liked my Staraptor I think.

Day 5:
This is one I know the answer to absolutely. My favorite Pokemon of all time is Houndoom. Houndoom is one of the Pokemon that I loved from the moment I saw it. I mean its design is so so cool and evil looking and dark, and it was perfect for my 6 year old self! I love dogs too, so any Pokemon based off dogs are automatically some of my favorites! But yeah, Houndoom and its intensely dark looks scored it for me. Its stats aren't half bad either, but I've never cared a whole lot about that in-game. Feraligatr gets props as a close, close second. I mean I've played Crystal (my fav game) sooooo many times with only Feraligatr and like a Pidgey slave. It's also intensely badass. Rounding out the top 5 for me are Crobat, Weavile, and Arcanine.

Day 6:
Hm, I can't exactly recall a lot of childhood rumors that I believed about the Pokemon games. I think the most convincing argument that nearly swayed me was when my friend was telling me how his Swampert died to an electric attack, but I argued fiercely that Swampert wasn't affected by Electric moves. He did make me doubt myself enough to do a little research though, because a 9 year old's mind is very curious often-times.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Day 1: First memory would be unwrapping Silver on one of my birthdays/christmas. Was so unbelievably excited, I played it all day, until my battery died. Fortunately, I had saved, following the advice of my parents: save after every battle.

Day 2: Red Gyarados, classic. Was just so amazing to see it. I caught it and used it throughout my childhood, but Gyara just couldn't abuse that Atk stat back then.

Day 3: I currently have on my Black/White 648 pokemon. Damn that Meloetta. Someone should trade me one, or I'll have to wait for the next event.

Day 4: Suicune. Continual grinding against the E4/Red in GSC.

Day 5: Suicune, no contest! Suicune is just amazing, its design, its grace, and I fell in love with Crocune in DPP. In Crystal, god, I felt exactly like Eusine. Fortunately, I caught Suicune instead of him :D

Day 6: I believed in the PokeGods ofc, never having played the Gen 1 games. Once I heard about a dead Marowak, anything was possible. Also one of my friends did manage to convince me at one point that Shedinja was an awesome super rare legendary pokemon. Hook, line and sinker.

I believed in the one about Mew being near the SS.Anne and I remember looking for it for ages before finally giving up. Even when I couldn't find it I still believed that it was there. This was way before the internet happened so the only information available at the time was by word of mouth and the K-Zone magazine. I also used to believe in that if you defeated the Elite 4 100 times then you could jump over the ledges on both sides, but I've always been impatient so I never even tried that.

Rocket launch rumor in Emerald. After I heard that Mirage Island was real (I still haven't gotten there to this day!! Myaaah!), and not just an attempt to get you to visit Pacifidlog Town every day, I had hope that there was something interesting about the space center.

Day 1: My first memory of Pokemon is going to see the first Pokemon movie. The first game I had was Yellow, which I got sometime after that.

Day 2: I have never encountered any shiny Pokemon that wasn't encounter or gift based, but my cousin was playing my Emerald version once when we were kids and he saw a shiny Carvanha. He killed it while trying to catch it. I was in the bathroom so I never even got to see it.

Day 3: I'm pretty darn close right now, actually. I'm just missing some starters and two event Pokemon. I'm also missing Glameow and Lessglamorousmeow because I don't have Pearl.

Day 4: Typhlosion in my Crystal version. He doesn't exist anymore because I've restarted Crystal since then, but he lives on in spirit with my Heart Gold Typhlosion. As much as I like Feraligatr, I never could justify starting with any Pokemon other than Cyndaquil in those Johto games.

Day 5: Lucario. When Diamond and Pearl came out I think I hit a realization that I really digged most Fighting types thanks to Lucario, as well as Infernape and Gallade. I had also watched Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and played a lot of Super Smash Bros Brawl with Luke, so I already had a predisposed affection for it before I ever even picked up Diamond. I think his movepool is really interesting, and the fact that his Special Attack is better than Attack was unique to Fighting types at the time. He's also blue. I really like blue.

Day 6: Not necessarily a rumor I heard, but I believed PokeRus was a bad thing because I had a negative experience with MissingNo in the past. I had thought that PokeRus was the same thing and if I didn't do anything about it, my game would be ruined. I released an infected Rayquaza in Emerald due to it having PokeRus.

hello nostalgiagasm thread

day 1: damn i wish my memories were more clear. i remember getting blue and the fat original game boy around the time that red and blue released in the states. bulbasaur was my first starter choice, and i'm pretty sure i practically soloed the game with venusaur lol. other pokemon i remember using include pikachu (solely because of the anime), pidgeot (first wild pokemon i ever caught), and dugtrio (my bulbasaur was weak to fire and i discovered--probably by complete accident--that fire was weak to ground. also little kid stalfos thought dig was the best move ever because you were like invincible for a whole turn)

day 2: excluding the red gyarados, the only shiny i have ever encountered was a spearow in gold. i remember catching it and then not using it because i was afraid it would like lose its shininess or something lol

fun fact: the chance of encountering a shiny is 8/65536. the chance of encountering a pokemon with pokerus is 3/65536. i have only ever encountered one shiny, but i have contracted pokerus in four different games without transferring any pokemon from other games.

day 3: a friend and i both got 150/151 in gen 1, but only after we discovered the item duplication glitch. the pokedex was filled using copious amounts of master balls and rare candies. i don't know if the mew glitch had even been discovered back then, but if it had then we didn't know anything about it, so we never got mew.

other than that i have never bothered trying. it really isn't worth the significant time investment imo.

day 4: i have no idea lol. i had a shitton of level 100s in blue thanks once again to the item duplication glitch. those are the only level 100s i have ever had. like pokedex completion, it just isn't worth the time investment to me.

day 5: motherfuckin' zapdos

i mean just look at how awesome it is

in addition to being a complete badass, it is also the first legendary i ever caught, so it holds a lot of nostalgia value for me. when i was first learning about competitive pokemon, one of my greatest joys was finding out that zapdos was ou in every generation lol (although i didn't join smogon until bw, i had first started discovering competitive mons during dpp)

honorable mentions go to growlithe for being a cute doggie and arcanine for being a big majestic doggie

day 6: i was one of many kids who wholeheartedly believed that holding a+b+down improved your chances of catching wild pokemon
also i thought for a short period of time that ho-oh was a secret pokemon in red and blue because of its random-ass appearance in the first episode of the anime

Day 6: What rumors did you believe when you were younger?

Only the existence of Victini inside Challenger's Cave (or whatever it is called), although whether that was a rumor or my poor memory going into effect I don't know.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Day 6:

I guess you cant call me a kid at 12-13, but i did believe a bunch of stuff a read and saw through videos and Lil told me.

- I guess the most popular everyone will remember would be jirachi at Mossdeep Space Center. Do you want to know how much time i spent at my emulator pressing A on that fukn rock? 2 and a half, straight, fuk the internet man.

- Second would be celebi at HG/SS, a friend told me that it would appear if i brought Ho-Oh, Lugia, Suicune, and a pichu, needless to say, i spent quite some time pressing A on that shrine.

- Something i read passing through the internet was that a scientist with a Lvl 100 genesect would appear at P2 Lab if i completed the Unova Dex, i did it. Fml, i hate that route so much.

- I seriously believed i could get the regis in a similar manner to Emerald in Platinum, i ended up getting a Wailord and a relicanth for nuthin' ._____.

- And the final rumor, but i guess this is something you could call sheer stupidity on my part, was that i thought Navel Rock and Birth Island would appear i completed all the sidequests (demolishing TeamRocket, Mewtwo, Legend Beasts, League rematch) in the Sevii Islands, even though i woulda done them either way, i was still dissapointed, later on i would discover what the term pokemon event meant ._____.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)