Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

My favourite set for this beast. Timid nature isn't required for this mon. With modest nature, there are very few mons in OU that can take a Hyper Voice nicely. That being Heatran, Jirachi, Empoleon, Bronzong, Pink Blobs (who can get worn down by psyshock). With modest nature, Gardevoir can't be stalled by Cleric Sylveon anymore (assuming you have rocks up) as Hyper Voice does 49% with minumum damage. And modest nature doesn't allow Ferrothorn to become a switch in anymore. If you Hyper Voice while it switches in, you can then HP Fire the next turn for a kill. The two moves combined do 102.2%-120.7% so unless you get two very low rolls, you will 2HKO this so-called Gardevoir counter after 1 turn of lefties recovery. Of course after SR damage its guaranteed. But they could protect to get an extra turn of lefties but if you have rocks up its the same odds as the situation I previously mentioned to 2HKO. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed adamant Bisharp before mega evolving, and the defense EVs will allow you to always live one life orb sucker punch from full health fom a Bisharp and proceed to OHKO Bisharp who is a big threat to Gardevoir. Taunt allows it to beat stall. Psyshock is for Venusaur mostly or if you want to troll Heatrans before mega evolving you can always trace the flash fire, taunt it then psyshock it to death lol.

Here are some replays. Count how many kills Gardevoir gets:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-187691830
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-187886960
Modest voir is nice. Just thought I'd say that Focus Miss could also be used over Taunt if Heatran is particularly problematic for the team. Also with the rise of Shed Shell ferro the threat of leftovers recovery preventing the 2HKO is less than before.

Just spamming the forums with this because I think its underrated. Its not an underrated mon but I havent seen this set used recently, So idk if its exactly the place for here, but here it is:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz

With altaria giving charx the competition for best bulky dder, I thought this would be a much better set for charx to run in order to utilize the offensive benefits he has over altaria. Tailwind allows him to outspeed everything on offense, and is more reliable because charx at +1 can be revenge killed much more easily than charx at +2, and he doesnt miss the power because he has unresisted stab coverage(bar azu), and typically nothing can take even an unboosted hit from charx. And on the other end is SD which allows him to take more advantage of sableye stall as charx at +2 atk is damn near unstoppable on stall and even quagsire is 2hkod by outrage, combo this with healing wish latias and you will never lose to stall again. But yeah thats about it, I think these are the best evs, but let me know if they could be optimized.
I love the set but just saying Diancie also resists that stab coverage, not just Azu ^^

Modest voir is nice. Just thought I'd say that Focus Miss could also be used over Taunt if Heatran is particularly problematic for the team. Also with the rise of Shed Shell ferro the threat of leftovers recovery preventing the 2HKO is less than before.
I never liked focus miss on Voir. Its still a 2HKO on Heatran, and who hits 2 focus misses in a row? Its impossible.

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 156 Spe / 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick/Drain Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Got a nice little surprisingly effective threat in SubPuP mLopunny. This set changes mLopunny from a full on attacker to a decently hard hitting wall breaker capable of breaking through some of its otherwise hard checks while also dealing very heavy damage to other Pokemon daring to come in. It also has a huge benefit in avoiding any (non prankster) status coming its way, leaving way to begin spamming STAB moves. Clearly STAB hits every Pokemon in the game for at least neutral, and with High BP attacks like these, not many things want to come in and take an attack. With Substitute, it also allows mLopunny to avoid the Protect game, essentially gaining a free turn more times than not, while also alleviating any risk in losing 50% right from the start. Drain Punch at +1 also hurts anything that doesn't resist it while also giving mLopunny any health used in creating a sub. 156 Speed investment allows mLop to outspeed everything up to base 122 speed (Greninja) to include 232 Spe Weavile.

+1 252 Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 186-220 (55.6 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Lopunny Frustration vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 228-268 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Lopunny Frustration vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 199-235 (52 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Lopunny Frustration vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 162-192 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
This seems like a set that would give players a lot of trouble in certain situations, so I won't knock it. I would like to see some evidence of it being worth sacrificing Ice Punch though, and these calculations don't really show a whole lot.

Skarmory can switch into a Lopunny as it uses Sub and still win 1v1 with Brave Bird, which I believe is more commonly used than Counter atm
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 96 HP / 4 Def Lopunny: 224-266 (75.9 - 90.1%)

Unaware Clefable does not care about PuP and Magic Guard Clefable still has a super effective Moonblast. Unless you get a crit, Clefable is going to be able to retaliate with Moonblast after breaking the sub.
4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Lopunny: 204-242 (69.1 - 82%)

Landorus-T switching in means you won't be getting to +1 because of Intimidate. Def Lando-T hits back harder than a +1 Lopunny anyway.
4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 96 HP / 4 Def Lopunny: 157-186 (53.2 - 63%)

Lastly, Def Mega Venusaur can switch in on a Sub or PuP and retaliate with at least two Giga Drains. This is the only match-up where Lopunny has a good chance of winning, but at the cost of almost all of its HP. If you use Sub on the switch then you might actually lose the 1v1.
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Lopunny: 100-118 (33.8 - 40%)

Replacing either Substitute or PuP with Ice Punch doesn't sound like a bad idea either. All of these sets sound like they could work, but trading a Mega Lopunny for a wall doesn't seem like a good idea unless you're clearing the path for another sweeper or something.

This seems like a set that would give players a lot of trouble in certain situations, so I won't knock it. I would like to see some evidence of it being worth sacrificing Ice Punch though, and these calculations don't really show a whole lot.

Skarmory can switch into a Lopunny as it uses Sub and still win 1v1 with Brave Bird, which I believe is more commonly used than Counter atm
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 96 HP / 4 Def Lopunny: 224-266 (75.9 - 90.1%)

Unaware Clefable does not care about PuP and Magic Guard Clefable still has a super effective Moonblast. Unless you get a crit, Clefable is going to be able to retaliate with Moonblast after breaking the sub.
4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Lopunny: 204-242 (69.1 - 82%)

Landorus-T switching in means you won't be getting to +1 because of Intimidate. Def Lando-T hits back harder than a +1 Lopunny anyway.
4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 96 HP / 4 Def Lopunny: 157-186 (53.2 - 63%)

Lastly, Def Mega Venusaur can switch in on a Sub or PuP and retaliate with at least two Giga Drains. This is the only match-up where Lopunny has a good chance of winning, but at the cost of almost all of its HP. If you use Sub on the switch then you might actually lose the 1v1.
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Lopunny: 100-118 (33.8 - 40%)

Replacing either Substitute or PuP with Ice Punch doesn't sound like a bad idea either. All of these sets sound like they could work, but trading a Mega Lopunny for a wall doesn't seem like a good idea unless you're clearing the path for another sweeper or something.
Unfortunately, all 4 of those are Pokemon that would flat out wall any Mega Lopunny set regardless. Aside from Ice punch vs. Landorus Therian who still has a chance of living 2 Ice punches. However, if any move were to be substituted, I'd recommend it being PuP because Substitute allows for so much more ways of evading status which is a huge problem for mLopunny.

Talonflame @ Expert Belt
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost / U-turn
- Steel Wing

This is a standard talonflame set, with some minor changes. First of all, expert belt is used over choice band, so it allows talonflame the ability to change moves, while the opponent is tricked into thinking talonflame is choice locked into brave bird or flare blitz. Brave bird is pretty standard, as it allows talonflame to sweep late game and revenge kill. The second slot goes to flare blitz, which is also pretty standard, to hit steels like ferrothorn and skarmory. Fire and flying coverage is also very nice. The third slot has two slashes, roost and u-turn. There are pros and cons to both moves. Roost gives talonflame good recovery, but after you reveal it, your opponent will know you probably aren't choice locked. U-turn allows you to gain momentum, and bluff a choice band set, but talonflame loses out on reliable recovery. Finally, the fourth move slot goes to steel wing. Ever since diancie got a new mega evolution, it has been seen on teams as a counter to talonflame, and a reliable win con with calm mind or rock polish. However, with steel wing, that is not the case! After diancie switches in on a predicted brave bird or flare blitz, your opponent will think that you will switch talonflame out, and he will go for a rock polish and will be OHKOed by steel wing! This set can also be used to lure in tyranitar, but steel wing doesn't do that much. The main use is for luring diancie.

Calcs vs non mega'd diancie (with 150 defense stats)
252+ Atk Expert Belt Talonflame Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 211-250 (87.5 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Calcs vs mega evolved diancie
252+ Atk Expert Belt Talonflame Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 269-322 (111.6 - 133.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Talonflame Steel Wing vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 134-161 (39.2 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Reactions: TLS

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
Here's a few sets I've been running:

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm nature
- Infestation
- Mud Slap / Shell Smash
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Shuckle is infamous for having sky-high defenses, and this set really takes advantage of that. Infestation traps the enemy Pokemon and gives a damage-over-time effect, and Mud Slap lowers the target's accuracy, and they won't be able to switch out because of Infestation! Combine that with possible Toxic Spikes support from a teammate, and you have one annoying thing to beat. And then, when you start to get low on health, Rest just heals you back to full health! Sleep Talk makes this set even more annoying, because Shuckle won't be completely incapacitated. Alternatively Shell Smash can be run over Mud Slap; you sacrifice some synergy with your team in order to have more staying power. Flying Pokemon and Levitators give the Mud Slap set trouble whereas Kingdra and Haze users give trouble to the Shell Smash variant, and Mega Metagross, Skarmory, and Wish users can handle both variants. WARNING: Do not use this set against your real-life friends, or they will not be your friend for much longer. My sister Chinchou111 described this set as "pure evil" when I used it against her.

Houndoom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast

Hoo boy does this catch people off-guard. Due to Houndoom's -Def nature, physical attacks will deal a significant amount of damage to him, usually OHKOing if it wasn't for the Sash, which is a good thing because it means you can use Counter to attack for a HUGE amount of damage. Destiny Bond also catches people off-guard and sometimes allows Houndoom to get 2 KOs. Another cool thing about this set is, if you mispredict with the DBond against something slower, you can use Counter the next turn to take advantage of its low priority without expiring the Destiny Bond effect. If you have full HP with no hazards up, this thing stops Belly Drum Azumarill even once it gets going. Obviously it falls flat against special attackers and supporters, except for things weak to Fire which is why Fire Blast is there. All in all, an outside-the-box set if you want something really unexpected.

Also I've been running an Expert Belt special attacking Blissey with Softboiled/Focus Blast/Boltbeam to good effect, but I'm p sure that qualifies as a "shitty gimmick" so I'm not going to elaborate (but I will if you guys want me to)

Also also this is definitely the wrong place for this but I can't find the "weird stuff" thread. I saw this monstrosity while laddering today:

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Calm Mind/Sacred Sword/Aerial Ace/Aqua Jet

Yes, that is Sacred Sword, not Secret Sword.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Calm nature
- Infestation
- Mud Slap / Shell Smash
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Shuckle is infamous for having sky-high defenses, and this set really takes advantage of that. Infestation traps the enemy Pokemon and gives a damage-over-time effect, and Mud Slap lowers the target's accuracy, and they won't be able to switch out because of Infestation! Combine that with possible Toxic Spikes support from a teammate, and you have one annoying thing to beat. And then, when you start to get low on health, Rest just heals you back to full health! Sleep Talk makes this set even more annoying, because Shuckle won't be completely incapacitated. Alternatively Shell Smash can be run over Mud Slap; you sacrifice some synergy with your team in order to have more staying power. Flying Pokemon and Levitators give the Mud Slap set trouble whereas Kingdra and Haze users give trouble to the Shell Smash variant, and Mega Metagross, Skarmory, and Wish users can handle both variants. WARNING: Do not use this set against your real-life friends, or they will not be your friend for much longer. My sister Chinchou111 described this set as "pure evil" when I used it against her.

Houndoom @ Focus Sash
Hasty nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast

Hoo boy does this catch people off-guard. Due to Houndoom's -Def nature, physical attacks will deal a significant amount of damage to him, usually OHKOing if it wasn't for the Sash, which is a good thing because it means you can use Counter to attack for a HUGE amount of damage. Destiny Bond also catches people off-guard and sometimes allows Houndoom to get 2 KOs. Another cool thing about this set is, if you mispredict with the DBond against something slower, you can use Counter the next turn to take advantage of its low priority without expiring the Destiny Bond effect. If you have full HP with no hazards up, this thing stops Belly Drum Azumarill even once it gets going. Obviously it falls flat against special attackers and supporters, except for things weak to Fire which is why Fire Blast is there. All in all, an outside-the-box set if you want something really unexpected.
Did you even read the title? Both of these clearly classify as gimmicks. Shuckle should only be used as a Sticky Webs user and Houndoom is completely unviable in OU, not to mention that the bulky water types that normally wall him hit on the special side rendering that whole gimmick completely useless.

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
Is there some sort of authority that says "you have to use Shuckle as a Sticky Web setter?" The whole idea of this thread is to share move sets that break the mold of what is considered "standard." I used both of these movesets quite a bit these past few days (on the same team no less, alongside Piloswine!) to great success. Did they win every match? Of course not. But I did get quite a few rage quits against that Shuckle, and Houndoom took out several Azumarill and Landorus-T in addition to several other species of Pokemon, usually getting 1 KO per match. Yes, they might be gimmicks, but just because something is a gimmick doesn't mean it can't be effective. You're right; non-mega Houndoom is completely unviable in OU, but that's why I chose it. When people see Houndoom in Team Preview, they automatically assume that it will be a Mega Houndoom and they get themselves in the mind-set of "if I can get Landorus-T in on him I can pivot out with U-Turn because he won't stay in on an Earthquake" when in reality I'm running something completely different. I'm not going to get into the whole psychological warfare malarkey but I hope you get the general idea, which is that I'm not just using a nonviable Pokemon for its own sake. Yes, it's shut down by bulky, specially-hitting Water-types, but would you leave your Blissey in on what is clearly a physical Fighting-type? Yes, this Houndoom is dead weight against primarily or all-special teams, but the same can be said for Mega Venusaur against a birdspam team. I'm not saying Houndoom is as strong as or as good as Blissey or Venusaur (it's obviously not) but there are situations with all 3 Pokemon where they can't do a whole lot to a particular Pokemon or team. But Counter+DBond Houndoom can definitely work, as does the Shuckle set I posted.

Is there some sort of authority that says "you have to use Shuckle as a Sticky Web setter?" The whole idea of this thread is to share move sets that break the mold of what is considered "standard." I used both of these movesets quite a bit these past few days (on the same team no less, alongside Piloswine!) to great success. Did they win every match? Of course not. But I did get quite a few rage quits against that Shuckle, and Houndoom took out several Azumarill and Landorus-T in addition to several other species of Pokemon, usually getting 1 KO per match.
If you're getting most of your wins from ragequits, that's not it being effective. That's you trolling less experienced players. There is a fine line between "breaking away from standard" and "using a bad set". Beating low-ladder players is not proof of the former.

Yes, they might be gimmicks, but just because something is a gimmick doesn't mean it can't be effective.
Just because it works against lower ladder players doesn't mean it is effective. The OU ladder is particularly infamous for being saturated with abysmally bad players near the bottom.

You're right; non-mega Houndoom is completely unviable in OU, but that's why I chose it.
OP said:
What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in OU, for the sake of using it in OU.
When people see Houndoom in Team Preview, they automatically assume that it will be a Mega Houndoom and they get themselves in the mind-set of "if I can get Landorus-T in on him I can pivot out with U-Turn because he won't stay in on an Earthquake" when in reality I'm running something completely different.
Or they hit it with a Water attack, or a special attack, or let Rocks break its sash, or any number of possible outcomes. Besides, during team preview I don't think anyone makes plans that specific when Houndoom doesn't see action until later in the game. To make plans that specific for that late into the game is pointless because you're assuming that at least 3-4 turns are going to go perfectly planned, which is idealistic and foolhardy.

I'm not going to get into the whole psychological warfare malarkey but I hope you get the general idea, which is that I'm not just using a nonviable Pokemon for its own sake. Yes, it's shut down by bulky, specially-hitting Water-types, but would you leave your Blissey in on what is clearly a physical Fighting-type? Yes, this Houndoom is dead weight against primarily or all-special teams, but the same can be said for Mega Venusaur against a birdspam team.
Birdspam: 3 mons
Special attackers: a lot more than 3
There is a huge difference between being weak to BirdSpam and being ineffective against the entire special-attacking spectrum.

I'm not saying Houndoom is as strong as or as good as Blissey or Venusaur (it's obviously not) but there are situations with all 3 Pokemon where they can't do a whole lot to a particular Pokemon or team. But Counter+DBond Houndoom can definitely work, as does the Shuckle set I posted.
I could use this argument for almost every Mon in the game to make it sound viable. For example, Physically defensive Avalugg is an awesome Rapid Spinner and Wall given that the opposing team carries no special attackers. Is it good? No, it's terrible in OU because, realistically, my opponent will likely have a Special attacker or coverage moves that hit on the Special side. The question is never just "Will this work in the right situation?". You also have to ask "Is it reasonable to expect the right situation to appear within a battle?". If the answer to either question is no, you shouldn't use it.

By the way, Gengar can run almost the exact same set as your Houndoom with a higher base speed (still borderline gimmicky), and the Shuckle set is wrecked by Taunt.

Is there some sort of authority that says "you have to use Shuckle as a Sticky Web setter?" The whole idea of this thread is to share move sets that break the mold of what is considered "standard." I used both of these movesets quite a bit these past few days (on the same team no less, alongside Piloswine!) to great success. Did they win every match? Of course not. But I did get quite a few rage quits against that Shuckle, and Houndoom took out several Azumarill and Landorus-T in addition to several other species of Pokemon, usually getting 1 KO per match. Yes, they might be gimmicks, but just because something is a gimmick doesn't mean it can't be effective. You're right; non-mega Houndoom is completely unviable in OU, but that's why I chose it. When people see Houndoom in Team Preview, they automatically assume that it will be a Mega Houndoom and they get themselves in the mind-set of "if I can get Landorus-T in on him I can pivot out with U-Turn because he won't stay in on an Earthquake" when in reality I'm running something completely different. I'm not going to get into the whole psychological warfare malarkey but I hope you get the general idea, which is that I'm not just using a nonviable Pokemon for its own sake. Yes, it's shut down by bulky, specially-hitting Water-types, but would you leave your Blissey in on what is clearly a physical Fighting-type? Yes, this Houndoom is dead weight against primarily or all-special teams, but the same can be said for Mega Venusaur against a birdspam team. I'm not saying Houndoom is as strong as or as good as Blissey or Venusaur (it's obviously not) but there are situations with all 3 Pokemon where they can't do a whole lot to a particular Pokemon or team. But Counter+DBond Houndoom can definitely work, as does the Shuckle set I posted.
Houndoom becomes more or less useless if it takes any sort of damage, including sandstorm, hazards, poison, getting hit on the switch in, and the like. Supporting a mon is one thing, but when you need to cater that much to it in order for it to not be more or less useless, most people would rather use something else. More significantly, it doesn't even do all that much. You're needing to keep everything clear for one, maybe two kills, if your opponent doesn't see Destiny Bond coming. Were it me dedicating an entire team around one mon, I would expect that mon to perform appropriately. If you're dedicating resources into something and you aren't profiting from it, it's a bad investment.

Shuckle isn't particularly effective either. Against offense, you'll be trapping something that immediately threatens you, while stall will just wear you out for a while, prevent you from healing up with Taunt, and phaze you once you start getting a significant number of boosts. More importantly, you don't have an impact when you hit the field. Infestation is not a threatening source of damage, and Toxic Spikes are decidedly mediocre in OU right now, thanks to the number of immune Pokemon (not to mention that Poison types are actually relevant right now).

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I mean, the Houndoom set is definitely gimmicky. The Shuckle set not so much, per se.
Nah the shuckle set is gimmicky. I will explain why in the next reply.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Calm nature
- Infestation
- Mud Slap / Shell Smash
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Sky high defenses, but nonexistent HP. The set is really easy to get around as it is complete taunt bait, and if you aren't using Shuckle to lay hazards just use Tyranitar or another better Rock-type. It meets the criteria for gimmick that is in the first post.
Houndoom @ Focus Sash
Hasty nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast

This dies to the entire special spectrum, and it isn't even a very good set. It is flawed by rocks, conkeldurr, special attackers... just to name a few. Also what is the point of Hasty when Timid has no effect on the power of Counter, and it is not like Houndoom will take physical hits well in the first place? And it isn't even fast enough to pull such a set reliably. If you want to pull off something like this, use Gengar with a set similar to the "icy wind lead" set from 4th gen:

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
- Shadow Ball / Icy Wind / Sludge Wave / Something

This is faster, has better typing and actually checks/beats the things it is supposed to check/beat.
Also also this is definitely the wrong place for this but I can't find the "weird stuff" thread. I saw this monstrosity while laddering today:

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Calm Mind/Sacred Sword/Aerial Ace/Aqua Jet

Yes, that is Sacred Sword, not Secret Sword.
What is the point of CM Keldeo with no special attacks .-.

Yeah i could have gone into more detail, but do I really need to tbh?

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

My favourite set for this beast. Timid nature isn't required for this mon. With modest nature, there are very few mons in OU that can take a Hyper Voice nicely. That being Heatran, Jirachi, Empoleon, Bronzong, Pink Blobs (who can get worn down by psyshock). With modest nature, Gardevoir can't be stalled by Cleric Sylveon anymore (assuming you have rocks up) as Hyper Voice does 49% with minumum damage. And modest nature doesn't allow Ferrothorn to become a switch in anymore. If you Hyper Voice while it switches in, you can then HP Fire the next turn for a kill. The two moves combined do 102.2%-120.7% so unless you get two very low rolls, you will 2HKO this so-called Gardevoir counter after 1 turn of lefties recovery. Of course after SR damage its guaranteed. But they could protect to get an extra turn of lefties but if you have rocks up its the same odds as the situation I previously mentioned to 2HKO. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed adamant Bisharp before mega evolving, and the defense EVs will allow you to always live one life orb sucker punch from full health fom a Bisharp and proceed to OHKO Bisharp who is a big threat to Gardevoir. Taunt allows it to beat stall. Psyshock is for Venusaur mostly or if you want to troll Heatrans before mega evolving you can always trace the flash fire, taunt it then psyshock it to death lol.

Here are some replays. Count how many kills Gardevoir gets:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-187691830
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-187886960
Isn't this just the standard set but with HP Fire over Focus Blast? afaik MGardevoir rarely ever runs Timid since it needs Modest to 3HKO Chansey

okay here's a set so that this isn't a one-liner :

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Aerial Ace

This set lures 2 things : Keldeo and Chesnaught. Even though Psycho Cut does more damage to Keldeo, Aerial Ace still deals enough damage to the point where Sucker Punch has a very good chance to KO after Stealth Rocks, and also 2HKOs Chesnaught. It's pretty nice but given that switching Keldeo or Chesnaught into Bisharp is generally completely risk-free it's actually a pretty effective lure.

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If you're getting most of your wins from ragequits, that's not it being effective. That's you trolling less experienced players. There is a fine line between "breaking away from standard" and "using a bad set". Beating low-ladder players is not proof of the former.

Just because it works against lower ladder players doesn't mean it is effective. The OU ladder is particularly infamous for being saturated with abysmally bad players near the bottom.

Or they hit it with a Water attack, or a special attack, or let Rocks break its sash, or any number of possible outcomes. Besides, during team preview I don't think anyone makes plans that specific when Houndoom doesn't see action until later in the game. To make plans that specific for that late into the game is pointless because you're assuming that at least 3-4 turns are going to go perfectly planned, which is idealistic and foolhardy.

Birdspam: 3 mons
Special attackers: a lot more than 3
There is a huge difference between being weak to BirdSpam and being ineffective against the entire special-attacking spectrum.

I could use this argument for almost every Mon in the game to make it sound viable. For example, Physically defensive Avalugg is an awesome Rapid Spinner and Wall given that the opposing team carries no special attackers. Is it good? No, it's terrible in OU because, realistically, my opponent will likely have a Special attacker or coverage moves that hit on the Special side. The question is never just "Will this work in the right situation?". You also have to ask "Is it reasonable to expect the right situation to appear within a battle?". If the answer to either question is no, you shouldn't use it.

By the way, Gengar can run almost the exact same set as your Houndoom with a higher base speed (still borderline gimmicky), and the Shuckle set is wrecked by Taunt.
Avalugg terrible in OU? No man, I peaked 1800 with poliwrath and avalugg as rapid spinner in xy OU. There are better rapid spinner but it's not terrible.

lol tbh your argument is completely flawed. Just because you used a certain mon on a team and peaked at some rating, doesn't mean it's good.

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
lol tbh your argument is completely flawed. Just because you used a certain mon on a team and peaked at some rating, doesn't mean it's good.
Are you talking with me? there is the button replay. I don't tell that avalugg is good, I told it's not terrible and there are better rapid spinner. However this is not the place to speak about Avalugg.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Bold / Impish Nature
- Hyper Voice / Return
- Flamethrower / Earthquake
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Basically, this is mixed bulk Mega Altaira. 104 Defense EVs with a Bold nature allow Mega Altaria to avoid a 2HKO from Adamant Landorus-T's Earthquake and Life Orb Latios' Psyshock, 156 Special Defense EVs are to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Keldeo's Icy Wind, and the rest go into HP. Heal Bell and Roost are there for obvious reasons, Hyper Voice is a powerful STAB attack and is used over Return to prevent Intimidate and burns from reducing damage, and Flamethrower 2HKOes Ferrothorn. But if you so desire, you can run Return and Earthquake with an Impish nature, as the extra damage dealt by Return could help, and having Earthquake means Heatran can't switch in freely.

Okay, I wanted to be sure and claim credit for this thing before it takes the OU metagame by storm with its purple gelatinous ooz. All hail the mighty Muk. That's right, this gen 1 slimeball is here to fertilize eggs fuck bitches tank special hits like a boss, and check some of the metagame's biggest threats. Admittedly I haven't saved any replays yet, but I wanted to make sure to be the first to pay homage to the King of Goop. So here it is. You're welcome.

Edit: Replays for the haters
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-190668903 (Muk shows how he makes Greninja look silly, and the usefulness of his ability)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-190680368 (Muk making Garchomp and Scizor his b!+chezzz, also tanking lots of stuff)

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/muk

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Gunk Shot
-Shadow Sneak/ Poison Jab
-Fire Punch/ Poison Jab
-Ice Punch/ Poison Jab

I know you guys are laughing right now, but this thing really does its job pretty efficiently, and unlike a lot of other never used "niche" pokemon, Muk never seems to feel like dead weight. He's able to check a LOT of threats in the metagame, including the soon-to-be S-rank Greninja (usually). Also, Muk happens to pair very well Mega Gyarados, being able to efficiently Kum on check/ counter many of the pokemon that are able to keep DD Gyara from cleaning up the opponents team. This thing doesn't give a shit about speedy MegaMan that like to try to scare Gyara away with intimidate and STAB Electric attacks. Muk also takes laughable damage from anything the equally-speedy Mega Sceptile can throw at it. Chesnaught gets destroyed by Gunk Shot, and can't hope to do anything with its STABs. Ferrothorn is 2HKO'd by fire punch. Keldeo loses easily. Kyurem-B can't even break through Muk. He can switch into Clefable all day, being unaffected by toxic. Just for shits, this thing can even take on Charizard-Y straight up, taking ~55% from Sun boosted Fire Blast and KO'ing back with the combo of Gunk Shot and Shadow Sneak.

OH YEAH guys, I forgot to talk about Muk's ability... POISON TOUCH. That's what really makes this guy special. Poison Touch adds a 30% poison chance to any contact moves.. which all of them are. So every time Muk launches off a full powered, STAB Gunk Shot, he has a 60% chance of a free poison. Oh yeah, also add that to the 10% chance that Fire Punch and Ice Punch have to burn/freeze respectively. Shadow Sneak rounds out the set nicely, giving me a way to pick off weakened Psychics/ Ghosts, and also works well in finishing off certain threats in conjunction with Gunk Shot. And did I mention that Shadow Sneak also has a 30% burn chance thanks to Poison Touch? :)

Time for some calcs to show you guys I'm not all talk:

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Extrasensory vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 190-226 (46.4 - 55.2%) -- 59.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 258-304 (90.2 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

First off ESens Greninja is rarely used anymore (in favor of the Low Kick/ Gunk Shot variants), and max SpA sets don't exist much either. So if Gren is carrying ESens, then yeah he can take a chunk off. Otherwise, the best he can muster is about 35% with Max SpA HPump. But Gren CAN NEVER KO Muk with Esens + any other move, so just don't switch into a rare Esens; not that hard. And you KO back with GS + SS. And just fyi, if you did switch into Esens, and Gren has taken some rocks/LO damage, Shadow Sneak does ~45%.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 99-117 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 148-175 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 222-262 (79 - 93.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Muk Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 50-59 (17.7 - 20.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Dragon Pulse vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 99-117 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Sceptile: 524-620 (186.4 - 220.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Muk: 54-64 (13.2 - 15.6%) -- possible 7HKO
252+ Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Muk: 75-88 (18.3 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 234-276 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 32-38 (7.8 - 9.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 326-386 (82.7 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Muk Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 37-44 (9.3 - 11.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 204-240 (63.9 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Muk Shadow Sneak vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 90-108 (28.2 - 33.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Obviously you aren't taking STAB Psyshock any time soon, but Latias that think they can safely switch in are swiftly KO's with GS + SS. Plus, it take about 45% MAX from Latias Draco Meteor if you need an emergency sponge? Idk.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 121-144 (29.5 - 35.2%) -- 17.3% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 247-292 (82.6 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Muk Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 56-66 (18.7 - 22%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Muk: 114-134 (27.8 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Muk: 202-238 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 446-528 (129.2 - 153%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Can switch into Play Rough, tank it, and a Waterfall, then KO back with Gunk Shot

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Muk: 78-92 (19 - 22.4%) -- possible 5HKO (Actually does more than Gyro Ball even resisted LOL)
252+ Atk Muk Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 208-248 (59 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

192+ Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Muk: 258-304 (63 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 342-404 (111.4 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Obviously this guy isn't made to counter Altaria, but it can take it 1v1. It also shits on non-EQ Altaria

68 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 82-97 (20 - 23.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 160-190 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Yeah so you basically are doing enough here that Zapdos is forced to Roost spam, in the meantime taking poison from one of your attacks, and giving you a free momentum shift while Zappy is forced to Roost.

252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 134-158 (32.7 - 38.6%) -- 98.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 207-244 (52.9 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 159-187 (38.8 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Muk Fire Punch vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 138-164 (42.5 - 50.6%) -- 44.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Muk: 156-184 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 193-228 (54.9 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 232 HP / 24 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 175-207 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 204-240 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Other pokemon that Muk likes to beat/ help check:
Bisharp
Sylveon
Gengar
Mew (non psychic/psyshock, which is most)
(Mega) Scizor
(Mega) Diancie
Goodra
Charizard-Y

This guy is great at tanking special attacks, and hitting back hard with a good attack stat and spreading poison everywhere. And he's also awesome at opening up Gyarados sweeps.

Last edited:
If you're going to say AV muk is viable in OU you better show us some quality replays. Your post and calcs show what Muk is capable of doing in specific situations, but you fail to acknowledge any of its shortcomings. And AV muk has a LOT of shortcomings.

also you're silly if you think muk even comes close to checking bisharp or zard-y

Last edited:
If you're going to say AV muk is viable in OU you better show us some quality replays. Your post and calcs show what Muk is capable of doing in specific situations, but you fail to acknowledge any of its shortcomings. And AV muk has a LOT of shortcomings.

also you're silly if you think muk even comes close to checking bisharp or zard-y
I've added a couple replays.. AKA my last 2 matches. And in those you can already see his usefulness.

I said HELP check/ counter for a reason. Zard-Y loses to Gunk Shot + Shadow Sneak, or just GS with rocks up. Yes, Muk will lose if you switch into FB. but he is safe to switch into any of Char's other moves and take virtually nothing. Or it can come in after a KO to revenge. It is a CHECK. Bisharp can definitely beat me with knock off + sucker punch. He is much more difficult. But Muk can HELP check because Bisharp have a tendency to switch into Muk, and Muk can smack them for 65% with fire blast.

Obviously this guy has issues, no doubt. As does every pokemon. He can't touch Heatran, and that's the big one. His STAB can't hit steels. But he also has a lot of unique features that allow him to function decently in the metagame, like Poison Touch, and the ability to check Greninja pretty damn reliably.

I was obviously being slightly facetious when I made claim about him taking the metagame by storm and what not, but don't discount it just because it has an NU tag slapped on it. It isn't a metagame powerhouse, but it could potentially find a place.

I've added a couple replays.. AKA my last 2 matches. And in those you can already see his usefulness.

I said HELP check/ counter for a reason. Zard-Y loses to Gunk Shot + Shadow Sneak, or just GS with rocks up. Yes, Muk will lose if you switch into FB. but he is safe to switch into any of Char's other moves and take virtually nothing. Or it can come in after a KO to revenge. It is a CHECK. Bisharp can definitely beat me with knock off + sucker punch. He is much more difficult. But Muk can HELP check because Bisharp have a tendency to switch into Muk, and Muk can smack them for 65% with fire blast.

Obviously this guy has issues, no doubt. As does every pokemon. He can't touch Heatran, and that's the big one. His STAB can't hit steels. But he also has a lot of unique features that allow him to function decently in the metagame, like Poison Touch, and the ability to check Greninja pretty damn reliably.

I was obviously being slightly facetious when I made claim about him taking the metagame by storm and what not, but don't discount it just because it has an NU tag slapped on it. It isn't a metagame powerhouse, but it could potentially find a place.
You're going to need some way higher tier replays to convince anyone of this thing's usefulness. Just look at the games you provided:
Game 1: Muk was forced out almost every time. I think it saw real use like what, the last 3 turns? Not only that, you basically won because you won a 50/50 involving whether or not Gyarados was going to Mega Evolve. He could have easily gone for a Zen Headbutt and kept his Defenses.
Game 2: Garchomp could've just quaked:

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Muk: 416-492 (101.7 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is an issue I tend to notice: people take these random obscure 'mons and think they're good because they win a few rounds. Honestly, what little this set did was entirely due to the ignorance of the other players. A quick look-up on a damage calc already reveals your entire moveset. This isn't playing off Muk's strength, it plays off a lack of knowledge on what it does. Unless it can stand on its own merits and not rely solely on the lack of knowledge on your opponent's part, it shouldn't be used in OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)