Metagame Cross Evolution

Someone complained so I've updated ROM to try to validate the cross evolved moves too.
So....That means Surf + Espeed or Fakespeed isn't legal anymore? omg....Does this apply to Clefable? As in, No more Unaware + Soft-boiled? D;

Edit: OMG IT DOES!!!! Clops viability might go down now(and other pokemon that are possibly affected by this too) ;/ thanks a lot to the idiot that complained -_-

Last edited:
urkerab whether illegalities were considered or not wasn't considered but, in line with other mechanics (on signature items for instance) cross-evolved Pokémon should be treated as new fully-evolved Pokémon and thus, I'd like the illegalities removed again.
Thank you.

Beedrill (Klang) @ Scope Lens / Air Balloon / Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Focus Energy
- Knock Off
- Gear Grind

Klang
===> Beedrill: Stats:80/145/85/90/140/90 Abilities:Swarm/Sniper Type:Steel

I think I found another potential legitimate Critical set! I think it's also self- explainable between Shift Gear + Focus energy and the coverage options (Steel / Dark is actually pretty decent coverage). I slashed Air balloon because it provides a bit more setup opportunities, while Life orb of course boost its moves. But if you prefer the guaranteed critical(again, like me lol) look no further than scope lens. This does require two turns to set up which may be not desirable, but honestly if pulled off correctly it's very rewarding. As for ranking, Probably C+ / B-

I'll keep testing other interesting sets I've found or have seen too, such as Koffing x Vespiquen who also looks like a potential defogger or T-Spikes user.

Edit:
Barbaracle (Pawniard) Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Pawniard ===> Barbaracle: Stats:75/138/118/55/70/78 Abilities:Tough Claws/Sniper/Pickpocket Type:Dark/Steel

While I'm at it, I also think this is easily A or A-. With Life orb+Tough claws and after shell smash(obviously) pawniard becomes extremely difficult to stop for opposing HO teams and sometimes even balance and stall. Factoring Life orb with T-Claws, Sucker Punch Reaches 181BP, Iron head Reaches 207BP, and K-off reaches 252BP. Life orb IMHO, feels like the recommended item, especially if you have good support around it such as Archen x Whimsicott who sets up SR, and has Memento to make setting up A whole lot easier. Focus sash is optional though, if you prefer Durable (guaranteed to get SS off) vs more power.

Scyther x Breloom for example, doesn't even reliably answer back after SS, sucker punch(if using LO)can nearly Ohko Scyther x Breloom if SR are up.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scyther: 221-261 (78.6 - 92.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This is assuming if it tries to hit you with mach punch otherwise this becomes a prediction match up cause obviously iron head can cleanly Ohko.

Another example would be Vaporeon x Onix who is probably the most physically bulkiest Water type. Please note I said PROBABLY, I'm not entirely sure if Vaporeon x Onix is the bulkiest physically speaking.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Onix: 304-359 (71.6 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Did I forget to mention Pawniard's speed reaches above 180+ after Shell Smash(510)? Have fun checking / Running this ;)

Last edited:
Apologies for double posting(if that is what I'm doing) but I found another very neat and fun set.

Porygon2 ===> Machamp: Stats:95/110/100/120/120/70 Abilities:Guts/No Guard/Steadfast Type:Normal

Machamp (Porygon2) @ Normalium Z
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe or 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe OR 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Hasty Nature / Timid Nature
- Zap Cannon / Dynamic Punch / Focus Blast
- Blizzard / Recover
- Dynamic Punch / Zap Cannon / Focus Blast
- Conversion

The classic Dynamic-Cannon set. We all know the chemistry these two moves share(Paralyze+Confusion)so I would think there's no need to explain the set and what it does. Normalium Z may not be ideal tbh due to being a one-trick shot but I couldn't think of anything else that could(legitimately) work other than Sticky web support.

Last edited:
Cross Evolution VR update!

Pawniard (Barbaracle): Unranked -> B+
Pawniard is the most viable Shell Smasher right now. Pawniard also appreciates the lack of (natural) Dark-types so it has little competition. Hits insanely hard, difficult to check due to Knock Off's secondary effect and Sucker Punch offering strong priority.

Cranidos (Whimsicott): C+ -> C
Outclassed by Archen unless you want to use both on the same team (not an unlikely situation, though).

Diglett (Breloom): Unranked -> C+
This one is somewhat difficult to explain as it is sort of unique in what it does. With an standard set along the lines of EQ/SD/Sub/Leech Seed and Toxic Orb + Poison Heal, Diglett is a nasty SubSeeder that uses its pitiful HP to its favor by restoring 25%+ of its health from Leech Seed, thus being able to use Substitute indefinitely at no HP cost (watch out since Diglett tends to use Substitute a lot and thus can run out of PP). Diglett can easily abuse any free turn the opponent gives it to set Leech Seed, then Swords Dance up and start pressuring or even outright sweeping a weakened team with Earthquake. This strategy works much better with status support (especially poison) and once you've removed all airborne Pokémon (which Cross Evolution is filled with). However, Diglett is easily pressured itself due to its pitiful bulk meaning all but the most passive of Pokémon can break its Subs and relies on free turns. In general, it's just too hard to put onto practice, and at most it will Leech Seed stall a long while.

Added Machamp as a potential Porygon2 cross-evolution.

Floette (Gardevoir): Unranked -> C

Faces huge competition from the overall better Arceus-Fairy (which also has WoW) and Spritzee, but has a niche in Trace.

I'm super late on this. but after checking the VR again.....I have some questions about a certain pokemon

Taillow ===> Sylveon: Stats:80/65/45/95/95/90 Abilities:Cute Charm/Pixilate Type:Fairy/Flying ----> B- rank????

I'm super confused on this??? Why is it ranked this high? It's easily picked off, if not already killed before even taken action or in stall's situation, Toxic and Recovery spam(Cough*chansey*cough*Milotic x Anything*cough*GLIGYRA). Choice scarf is a option yes, but boomburst coming off a unboosted 95 spatk ain't going to do shit a damn thing. But you know what I find more intriguing?

Misdreavus ===> Breloom: Stats:60/150/80/105/85/120 Abilities:Effect Spore/Poison Heal/Technician Type:Ghost/Fighting

Omanyte ===> Espeon: Stats:45/50/110/175/85/90 Abilities:Synchronize/Magic Bounce Type:Psychic/Water

How THE HELL HECK are these two C RANK???? And not ranked higher than TAILLOW x Sylveon???

Omanyte x Espeon especially tbh, Paired with Tapu Lele+Hazards it can easily 6-0 stall, Balance and HO single handedly(it's arguably the BEST offensive water type and reminds me of a more powerful but less bulky xerneas). And it even gains Dazzling Gleam for Dark types(or you know, a stab Hydro / Surf). It's easily B+ (but I'll be fine with B- even thou I personally think it's worthy of A ranks)

Misdreavus x Breloom also should be ranked higher IMO, it's no way out-classed by shuppet, Misdreavus has speed(and a taste of bulk) which allows it to use Spore which is something I'm sure Shuppet wishes it could abuse(just like how Misdreavus wishes it has Gunk shot for fairies). B- rank would be more fitting imo.

Primal-Groudon I feel isn't ranked right either imo. It compresses so many roles at once, SR, Scald switchin,Trick switchin, Koff switchin, Volt switchin, Phazing, Potential sweeper / Wincon(I used to use Pdon on stall with wish support in gen 6), boosted Lava Plums that causes burns etc etc. It's at least A- rank at the very least imo ;/

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I have made a spreadsheet for all of the Gen 7 cross-evolutions, here is the link.

By the way, Araquanid hasn't been talked about much as a cross evolution but it can be pretty OP with Water Bubble. For example:

Araquanid (Tirtouga) @ White Herb
Ability: Water Bubble
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

New stats: 84/108/143/63/37
Sure, 37 speed isn't that good but 364 is relatively fast and 170 base power after a shell smash is going to hurt.

Last edited:
New VR update!
I'm super late on this. but after checking the VR again.....I have some questions about a certain pokemon

Taillow ===> Sylveon: Stats:80/65/45/95/95/90 Abilities:Cute Charm/Pixilate Type:Fairy/Flying ----> B- rank????

I'm super confused on this??? Why is it ranked this high? It's easily picked off, if not already killed before even taken action or in stall's situation, Toxic and Recovery spam(Cough*chansey*cough*Milotic x Anything*cough*GLIGYRA). Choice scarf is a option yes, but boomburst coming off a unboosted 95 spatk ain't going to do shit a damn thing.
Taillow (Sylveon): B- -> C+

Taillow is hurt by its low stats, being frail and slow and SR weak. The Pixilate nerf does not make it unviable but it now needs a second CM to be able to wallbreak effectively, since at +1 it misses quite a few former 2HKOs.
And LO Boomburst IS strong, despite the below-average 95 Special Attack.
Omanyte ===> Espeon: Stats:45/50/110/175/85/90 Abilities:Synchronize/Magic Bounce Type:Psychic/Water

Omanyte x Espeon especially tbh, Paired with Tapu Lele+Hazards it can easily 6-0 stall, Balance and HO single handedly(it's arguably the BEST offensive water type and reminds me of a more powerful but less bulky xerneas). And it even gains Dazzling Gleam for Dark types(or you know, a stab Hydro / Surf). It's easily B+ (but I'll be fine with B- even thou I personally think it's worthy of A ranks)
No. Tapu Lele it's a GIMMICK I used to run. Are you really going to enter a serious battle being 5v6 at the start just so you can randomly sack Tapu Lele (it's not going to do anything else in a battle) just so you can try to sweep a team (if you even got hazards first)?
Misdreavus ===> Breloom: Stats:60/150/80/105/85/120 Abilities:Effect Spore/Poison Heal/Technician Type:Ghost/Fighting

Misdreavus x Breloom also should be ranked higher IMO, it's no way out-classed by shuppet, Misdreavus has speed(and a taste of bulk) which allows it to use Spore which is something I'm sure Shuppet wishes it could abuse(just like how Misdreavus wishes it has Gunk shot for fairies). B- rank would be more fitting imo.
Misdreavus: C+ -> B
Shuppet: B -> B-

These changes reflect more accurately the viability of the two Ghost-types. Shuppet was being oversold at B seeing it's a one-dimensional and predictable threat. Misdreavus x Breloom is equally or even more viable than Shuppet, and Misdreavus can also pull off other sets such as Delcatty (support) or Lucario (special sweeper), making it somewhat versatile and unpredictable, quite the opposite of Shuppet.
Primal-Groudon I feel isn't ranked right either imo. It compresses so many roles at once, SR, Scald switchin,Trick switchin, Koff switchin, Volt switchin, Phazing, Potential sweeper / Wincon(I used to use Pdon on stall with wish support in gen 6), boosted Lava Plums that causes burns etc etc. It's at least A- rank at the very least imo ;/
Primal Groudon's placement in the VR is always a controversial topic. I feel B+ is OK for it due to competition from from other Ground-types (mostly the dominant Gligar). Lack of recovery makes Primal Groudon surprisingly easy to overwhelm, especially with boosted attacks. Offensive sets are much more viable though. I'm open to a rise to A- after further discussion.
Side note, but a lot of Gligars can absorb Knock Off too as they go itemless to power up Acrobatics.

Added Hitmonlee and Ninjask as potential Krabby cross-evolutions, reordered them, and moved Krabby from C- -> C+

Krabby's position in the VR was based in its Araquanid set which is not the most viable Krabby set right now. As more Krabby sets are tested this gen it is progressively clear that Krabby is much better than any other C- ranked Pokémon and deserves a higher spot in the ranks.

I have made a spreadsheet for all of the Gen 7 cross-evolutions, here is the link.
Added to resources in the OP! Thanks!
By the way, Araquanid hasn't been talked about much as a cross evolution but it can be pretty OP with Water Bubble. For example:

Araquanid (Tirtouga) @ White Herb
Ability: Water Bubble
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

New stats: 84/108/143/63/37
Sure, 37 speed isn't that good but 364 is relatively fast and 170 base power after a shell smash is going to hurt.
Araquanid cross-evolutions are strong, but they're walled by a lot of Water resists. 364 Speed is below average as well, with the slowest offensive Pokémon going 372-394 Speed unboosted. Cross Evolution is a metagame pretty obsessed with Speed in general.

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
I have some more sets that look promising:

Tsareena (Hakamo-o) @ Life Orb
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
New Stats: 75/155/140/75/120/75

Good bulk to possibly set up two DDs, STAB High Jump Kick, fine coverage. I'd put this at maybe B- to C+ because it's also pretty slow and takes 4x from Fairy.

Gardevoir (Togetic) @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace / Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Defog / Heal Bell
- Psyshock
New Stats: 85/70/115/140/165/70

Great special bulk with good SpA to boot. Maybe B ranking?

It occurred to me that the Alola starters' hidden abilities are currently unreleased. As I didn't take this into account, it currently means that if you cross evolve from one of them then you can't use the target's hidden Ability. I assume that correct behaviour should be that you can't use the hidden Ability if you cross evolve into them?

New VR update!

No. Tapu Lele it's a GIMMICK I used to run. Are you really going to enter a serious battle being 5v6 at the start just so you can randomly sack Tapu Lele (it's not going to do anything else in a battle) just so you can try to sweep a team (if you even got hazards first?)
Tapu Lele isn't a "Gimmick" it's literally a legit strategy. Omanyte x Espeon appreciates not being able to be revenged killed by priorities and the extra power, notably easily 2hkoing Fully invested Chansey!

+2 252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 399-469 (62.1 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 501-589 (71.1 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

More calcs: 252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Dusclops in Psychic Terrain: 226-267 (70.1 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Sliggoo in Psychic Terrain: 247-292 (63.3 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Type: Null in Psychic Terrain: 252-297 (53.1 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Clefable Variants.

And notice how I left out Hazards(Which is something that's relevantly easy to setup in this meta),and majority of the pokes here STILL can't reliably counter Omanyte + Tapu Lele. Tapu Lele and Koko are both legit partners for certain Pokemons (Magneton x Raichu-Alola is pretty damn good too).

"just so you can randomly sack Tapu" um, pretty much? I don't see the problem with that, especially since Tapu Lele has utility moves that actually support omanyte x Espeon before it dies, such as Taunt, Screens(Reflect / Light screen), boosted Psychics to apply pressure itself etc.

But that's besides the point. With or without Tapu Lele, omanyte x Espeon is worthy of B+ rank in my personal opinion. It's almost like xerneas, with more power but less Bulk(and can use SS without the need to charge one turn).

Edit: Also notice how omanyte x Espeon in the calculation also isn't running a Special attack boosting nature. When in reality, it usually runs modest ;/

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Tapu Lele isn't a "Gimmick" it's literally a legit strategy. Omanyte x Espeon appreciates not being able to be revenged killed by priorities and the extra power, notably easily 2hkoing Fully invested Chansey!

+2 252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 399-469 (62.1 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 501-589 (71.1 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

More calcs: 252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Dusclops in Psychic Terrain: 226-267 (70.1 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Sliggoo in Psychic Terrain: 247-292 (63.3 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Type: Null in Psychic Terrain: 252-297 (53.1 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Clefable Variants.

And notice how I left out Hazards(Which is something that's relevantly easy to setup in this meta),and majority of the pokes here STILL can't reliably counter Omanyte + Tapu Lele. Tapu Lele and Koko are both legit partners for certain Pokemons (Magneton x Raichu-Alola is pretty damn good too).

"just so you can randomly sack Tapu" um, pretty much? I don't see the problem with that, especially since Tapu Lele has utility moves that actually support omanyte x Espeon before it dies, such as Taunt, Screens(Reflect / Light screen), boosted Psychics to apply pressure itself etc.

But that's besides the point. With or without Tapu Lele, omanyte x Espeon is worthy of B+ rank in my personal opinion. It's almost like xerneas, with more power but less Bulk(and can use SS without the need to charge one turn).

Edit: Also notice how omanyte x Espeon in the calculation also isn't running a Special attack boosting nature. When in reality, it usually runs modest ;/
Modest misses out on some scarfers at +2 (not much, admittedly, but anything faster than ~125 base which isn't as hard as it sounds). I don't know if I'd risk that myself.

Your calcs also miss out the best unaware in Munchlax.
252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Munchlax in Psychic Terrain: 264-312 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Quag gives Haze and Recover, and after Terrain runs out your attacks do barely enough while uninvested Return 3HKOs in return.

Modest misses out on some scarfers at +2 (not much, admittedly, but anything faster than ~125 base which isn't as hard as it sounds). I don't know if I'd risk that myself.

Your calcs also miss out the best unaware in Munchlax.
252 SpA Omanyte Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Munchlax in Psychic Terrain: 264-312 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Quag gives Haze and Recover, and after Terrain runs out your attacks do barely enough while uninvested Return 3HKOs in return.
I did forget Munchlax, but he's not the best Unaware user. Type:null and Clops are arguably the best and are also arguably better THAN Munchlax(IMHO). You're also forgetting while haze does help with fighting off Boosts(which is ignored anyways by unaware so wynaut just use Whirlwind lol) omanyte can still kill Munchlax regardless if it does ignore the boost from Shell smash! That's my whole point in showing why Tapu Lele is a legit partner / strategy you can use alongside omanyte x Espeon. The Extra Power from Psychic terrain helps against bulkier teams(Stall / Balance) and not being able to be hit by priorities helps against HO (Extreme speed Munchlax or Type null Crossevo with Arcanine/Linoone, Fake out Aipom x Breloom or FakeSpeed Trumbeak, Sucker punch from Pawniard or just prioritiy moves in general etc). You have 5-6 turns(because Tapu has to set up terrain and then either has to die or switch out)to apply immense pressure upon your team. All you need is a SR suicide lead, and the rest of the team is up to you ;p

Edit: oh shit,apologise, I completely forgot Espeon gives Omanyte magic bounce which cancels out Whirlwind ;/ and unlike xerneas, haze doesn't completely stop Omanyte. As depending on the situation at hand, it can possibly use SS again and continue to sweep with or without the help of Terrain -_-

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
I did forget Munchlax, but he's not the best Unaware user. Type:null and Clops are arguably the best and are also arguably better THAN Munchlax(IMHO). You're also forgetting while haze does help with fighting off Boosts(which is ignored anyways by unaware so wynaut just use Whirlwind lol) omanyte can still kill Munchlax regardless of the boost from Shell smash! That's my whole point in showing why Tapu Lele is a legit partner / strategy you can use alongside omanyte x Espeon. The Extra Power from Psychic terrain helps against bulkier teams(Stall / Balance) and not being able to be hit by priorities helps against HO (Extreme speed Munchlax or Type null Crossevo with Arcanine/Linoone, Fake out Aipom x Breloom or FakeSpeed Trumbeak, Sucker punch from Pawniard or just prioritiy moves in general etc). All you need is a SR suicide lead, and the rest of team is up to you ;p
Type:Null is... well, Type:Null. It's better than most things at what it does - though, arguably being less specialised that Munchlax/Goo hurts it.
Haze and Whirlwind accomplish the same thing (if you don't have hazards up, which is fairly hard to do on a team which doesn't apply pressure, what with all the viable foggers/spinners/bouncers) except that Haze beats Magic Bounce (eg this Espeon set) and also beats lastmon setup sweepers. It also has more PP which never hurts.
omanyte can still kill Munchlax regardless of the boost from Shell smash!
How? Or are you using Stored Power AND Psyshock?

you also lose to Shedinja Omanyte confirmed bad xd

Onix ===> Umbreon: Stats:75/55/220/45/110/80 Abilities:Synchronize/Inner Focus Type:Dark/Ground Weight: 230.5 kg (120 BP)

Surely. 220 and 110 is pretty good stats, but it bads abilities struggles too.
Although it seems to be useful.

Rhydon ===> Gallade: Stats:135/220/150/45/105/70 Abilities:Steadfast/Justified Type:Ground/Fighting Weight: 151.8 kg (100 BP)

Need to say nothing.

Bergmite ===> Gyarados: Stats:130/184/109/77/115/29 Abilities:Intimidate/Moxie Type:Ice/Flying Weight: 324.5 kg (120 BP

Interesting too. 130 HP, 109 Def + Intimidate.
And a good attack although

Onix ===> Umbreon: Stats:75/55/220/45/110/80 Abilities:Synchronize/Inner Focus Type:Dark/Ground Weight: 230.5 kg (120 BP)

Surely. 220 and 110 is pretty good stats, but it bads abilities struggles too.
Although it seems to be useful.

Rhydon ===> Gallade: Stats:135/220/150/45/105/70 Abilities:Steadfast/Justified Type:Ground/Fighting Weight: 151.8 kg (100 BP)

Need to say nothing.

Bergmite ===> Gyarados: Stats:130/184/109/77/115/29 Abilities:Intimidate/Moxie Type:Ice/Flying Weight: 324.5 kg (120 BP

Interesting too. 130 HP, 109 Def + Intimidate.
And a good attack although
Dark / Ground isn't particularly considered a good defensive typing. Due to having 5 weaknesses and 3 of them being pretty common (Fairy, Fighting, Water).

Rhydon x gallade is a beast. Rock polish set and AV set are my favorites

Again, same situation as before but worse, ice / Flying defensively is horrid. But if you looking for another gyarados user other than gligar, try Murkrow or Slowpoke(who can surprisingly pull off a curse set very well).

Which reminds me.
Taillow ===> Volcarona: Stats:70/30/40/115/80/125 Abilities:Flame Body/Swarm Type:Normal/Flying
Item: Life orb / Focus Sash
EVs : 252 SpAtk / 252Spe / 4 SpD
Nature: Timid
- Quiver Dance
- Heat Wave / Fire blast
- Boomburst
- hurricane / Air Slash

This is a "decent" set. And is arguably better than Sylveon. The problem is it's mostly likely not going to be picked for as a volcarona's receiver and the fact that hurricane is still 70% and air slash is no better with lower damage output. Oh and it needs a dedicated Memento user or else it'll be much more difficult to set up qd.

Cutiefly ===> Swoobat: Stats:42/57/52/77/52/126 Abilities:Unaware/Klutz/Simple

Swoobat (Cutiefly) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Simple
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Heat Wave

I think this is self explanatory. Nothing too special about it other than Simple+Qd+SP+Stab Moonblast.

Amaura ===> Jolteon: Stats:87/69/60/132/93/121 Abilities:Volt Absorb/Quick Feet Type:Electric/Ice Weight:
Jolteon (Amaura) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam / Frost Breath
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Potential offensive SR setter? stab Boltbeam is pretty nice and it's even better with earth power (perfect coverage?). I don't really have that much experience with it tbh.

Last edited:
Sure.

Taillow ===> Volcarona: Stats:70/30/40/115/80/125 Abilities:Flame Body/Swarm Type:Normal/Flying Weight: 19.5 kg (40 BP)

It have a nice Boomburst too.

Yamask ===> Milotic: Stats:113/75/144/145/135/31 Abilities:Marvel Scale/Competitive/Cute Charm Type:Ghost Weight: 156.1 kg (100 BP)

nothing so special, but, cool.

Dusclops ===> Dustox: Stats:50/85/145/85/195/75 Abilities:Shield Dust/Compound Eyes Type:Ghost/Poison Weight: 50.7 kg (80 BP)

Same of Yamask.

Milotic (Grimer-Alola) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Gunk Shot / Sludge bomb / Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower / Pursuit / Coil

Grimer-Alola ===> Milotic: Stats:155/125/109/130/120/26 Abilities:Marvel Scale/Competitive/Cute Charm Type: Poison/Dark Weight:196.6(100BP)

This is a fairly good pokemon that I just recently added to my new stall team and for good reasons. I noticed certain Espeon receivers could tear my stall apart with the right coverage options(Abra, Omanyte, Gastly to name a few) and I also noticed I needed something that wasn't exposed to any of Greninja x Electabuzz/Magmar's coverage options(Boltbeam, Dark pulse, Grass knot, Extrasensory, Gunk shot, cross chop Etc etc). And as you can see, grimer-alola x Milotic does exactly that and a Little more. Poison/Dark is immune to all Espeon x reciver's primary stab move(Psyshock) while either resisting or is neutral to any of its coverage options or secondary typing (unless the receiver secondary typing is ground kek). Poison / Dark typing is also not hit Super effectively by any move Greninja x Electabuzz/Magmar may have(unless HP ground lol) which is pretty huge for stall in general, considering how easy Greninja can pick apart stall D;

Now that I explained its main purpose, onto the moveset now.

Recover is mandatory lol nuff said. Gunk shot is nice to have imo, it reliably 2hko all fairies not steel-typed (like Spritic) while also knocking out certain Pokemons that may try to use it as setup bait(Electabuzz x Vivillon is OHKOed by gunk and in return Electabuzz x Vivillon can't even reliably 2hko Grimer-tic even after one QD). But sludge bomb or Poison jab are more reliable options if you prefer accuracy over more damage(preferable Poison jab, as sludge bomb has proven to me it's not always able to overpower certain fairies). Knock off is a nice utility move, while also being grimer-alola's secondary stab move. The last slot can be either Flamethrower since grimer-alola tends to lure in steel types like Magneton, Doublade, and Klang(flamethrower 2hkos all of them) or pursuit to better check Espeon Abusers.

P.S I almost forgot, It can run a pretty good Coil Set. Effectively making Grimer-tic into a potential Wincon. Just make sure you have an answer for Gligar-Gyarados D;

Last edited:
Viability update!
In this update I addressed various recently discovered threats, Dragon Dancers and Pokémon commonly found on sun teams.

Hakamo-o (Tsareena) was added to C rank

Despite being able to abuse QM + Dragon Dance, and having access to high-powered STABs in Outrage and High Jump Kick, Hakamo-o has some flaws that hold it back. Chief among them is its low Speed: Hakamo-o hits only 409 Speed after a Dragon Dance, so even though it is immune to priority, it is relatively easy to revenge kill using Speed only. Hakamo-o is also helpless vs. Fairy-types since it lacks both Poison Jab and Iron Head. As of coverage, Hakamo-o gets Earthquake, Rock Slide, Play Rough, X-Scissor and Trop Kick, none of which help it with its weaknesses and/or is redundant with its STABs coverage.

Fraxure (Gallade) was added to B- rank

Fraxure shares with Hakamo-o being a Dragon/Fighting Dragon Dancer. However, Fraxure often outclasses Hakamo-o. Fraxure's advantages over Hakamo-o include more Speed (Fraxure, unlike Hakamo-o, hits a reasonable Speed tier at +1), much higher Attack, and Poison Jab. With boosted Poison Jabs, Fraxure can take out slightly weakened Fairy-types which would otherwise destroy it. However, Fraxure is very weak to priority, especially after Close Combat's Defense drops. Speaking of which, Close Combat is more spammable than High Jump Kick and does not miss.

Ponyta (Heliolisk) was added to C rank

Ponyta had notably fallen out of the radar after Uber's unban, but it takes a place on sun teams as a sun wallbreaker and Solar Power abuser. While Solar Power gives it a very short lifespan, STAB sun-boosted and Solar Power-boosted Fire Blast hits like a truck (hitting 405 BP). Ponyta appreciates Stealth Rock support to nail impressive 2HKOes, such as Wailmer x Toxapex (clean 2HKO after rocks) and Squirtle x Chansey (with Stealth Rock up it has to be at full health to take two Fire Blasts). While Fire Blast is selected 90% of the time, Ponyta can predict the bulky Water-type switch-in and nail it with one-turn Solar Beams. Ponyta even has good coverage, unlike most other sun sweepers, having access to Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice (even though it OHKOes most Gligar after Stealth Rock).
While Ponyta is ver strong, it has several flaws. Outside of sun, Ponyta is useless, only having a place in weather teams. Ponyta is also frail and has a very short lifespan due to Solar Power's recoil and a Stealth Rock weakness. Lastly, Ponyta falls just short of the 130 base Speed tier.

Larvesta (Leafeon) was added to C rank
Larvesta has been a key member of sun teams since ORAS. The main reason for this is its unique typing, allowing it to cross-evolve with Leafeon while keeping its Fire STAB, and at the same time gaining Grass-type STAB moves to take out Water-, Rock- and Ground-types, which would otherwise threaten sun teams immensely. Unlike other potential Grass-type Chlorophyll abusers such as Tangela, Larvesta can directly take advantage of sun powering its Fire-type STAB moves further. Larvesta is also one of the few physical sun Chlorophyll sweepers, and it is one of the fastest weather sweepers too at 100 base Speed.
However, like many weather sweepers, Larvesta is a bad Pokémon outside of sun. Its moves are weak outside of sun-boosted Flare Blitzs. Larvesta has also movepool problems: it cannot run both Knock Off and Swords Dance (and Leaf Blade is way too important to be dropped); and Flare Blitz recoil means it actually hates Life Orb, having to resort to items like Charcoal or Choice Band, but Larvesta does not appreciate being locked into one move, unlike many other weather swepeers.

I would like more discussion on the following, since they probably have to be ranked somewhere, but as of now I lack enough experience with them to accurately rank them:
Grimer-Alola
Arceus-Dark, Arceus-Fighting, and other support Arceus formes

anaconja

long day at job
Lurantis (Munchlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Return
- Rest
New Stats: 165/135/95/70/140/15
Sure, it doesn't get STAB, but Superpower boosting hurts like hell. Also, Munchlax becomes a freaking tank.

Volcarona (Litleo) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Hyper Voice
- Dark Pulse
New Stats:92/25/68/158/104/112
After a Quiver Dance, this thing can sweep. Watch out for priority and sashes though.

Krookodile (Porygon2) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Power Trip
- Conversion
- Return / Ice Beam
- Recover
New Stats: 115/115/125/125/120/78
Z-Conversion. Then sweep.

Last edited:
Viability update!
In this update I addressed various recently discovered threats, Dragon Dancers and Pokémon commonly found on sun teams.

Hakamo-o (Tsareena) was added to C rank

Despite being able to abuse QM + Dragon Dance, and having access to high-powered STABs in Outrage and High Jump Kick, Hakamo-o has some flaws that hold it back. Chief among them is its low Speed: Hakamo-o hits only 409 Speed after a Dragon Dance, so even though it is immune to priority, it is relatively easy to revenge kill using Speed only. Hakamo-o is also helpless vs. Fairy-types since it lacks both Poison Jab and Iron Head. As of coverage, Hakamo-o gets Earthquake, Rock Slide, Play Rough, X-Scissor and Trop Kick, none of which help it with its weaknesses and/or is redundant with its STABs coverage.

Fraxure (Gallade) was added to B- rank

Fraxure shares with Hakamo-o being a Dragon/Fighting Dragon Dancer. However, Fraxure often outclasses Hakamo-o. Fraxure's advantages over Hakamo-o include more Speed (Fraxure, unlike Hakamo-o, hits a reasonable Speed tier at +1), much higher Attack, and Poison Jab. With boosted Poison Jabs, Fraxure can take out slightly weakened Fairy-types which would otherwise destroy it. However, Fraxure is very weak to priority, especially after Close Combat's Defense drops. Speaking of which, Close Combat is more spammable than High Jump Kick and does not miss.

Ponyta (Heliolisk) was added to C rank

Ponyta had notably fallen out of the radar after Uber's unban, but it takes a place on sun teams as a sun wallbreaker and Solar Power abuser. While Solar Power gives it a very short lifespan, STAB sun-boosted and Solar Power-boosted Fire Blast hits like a truck (hitting 405 BP). Ponyta appreciates Stealth Rock support to nail impressive 2HKOes, such as Wailmer x Toxapex (clean 2HKO after rocks) and Squirtle x Chansey (with Stealth Rock up it has to be at full health to take two Fire Blasts). While Fire Blast is selected 90% of the time, Ponyta can predict the bulky Water-type switch-in and nail it with one-turn Solar Beams. Ponyta even has good coverage, unlike most other sun sweepers, having access to Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice (even though it OHKOes most Gligar after Stealth Rock).
While Ponyta is ver strong, it has several flaws. Outside of sun, Ponyta is useless, only having a place in weather teams. Ponyta is also frail and has a very short lifespan due to Solar Power's recoil and a Stealth Rock weakness. Lastly, Ponyta falls just short of the 130 base Speed tier.

Larvesta (Leafeon) was added to C rank
Larvesta has been a key member of sun teams since ORAS. The main reason for this is its unique typing, allowing it to cross-evolve with Leafeon while keeping its Fire STAB, and at the same time gaining Grass-type STAB moves to take out Water-, Rock- and Ground-types, which would otherwise threaten sun teams immensely. Unlike other potential Grass-type Chlorophyll abusers such as Tangela, Larvesta can directly take advantage of sun powering its Fire-type STAB moves further. Larvesta is also one of the few physical sun Chlorophyll sweepers, and it is one of the fastest weather sweepers too at 100 base Speed.
However, like many weather sweepers, Larvesta is a bad Pokémon outside of sun. Its moves are weak outside of sun-boosted Flare Blitzs. Larvesta has also movepool problems: it cannot run both Knock Off and Swords Dance (and Leaf Blade is way too important to be dropped); and Flare Blitz recoil means it actually hates Life Orb, having to resort to items like Charcoal or Choice Band, but Larvesta does not appreciate being locked into one move, unlike many other weather swepeers.

I would like more discussion on the following, since they probably have to be ranked somewhere, but as of now I lack enough experience with them to accurately rank them:
Grimer-Alola
Arceus-Dark, Arceus-Fighting, and other support Arceus formes

Grimer-alola's Milotic set is probably B rank or something, I'm not entirely sure myself. I have yet to find anything else that can be effectively used on Grimer-alola.

Arceus-Dark (from my experience) is definitely C rank. It's only purpose was checking Stored power Pokemons such as Omanyte x Espeon or Porygon x Swoobat. And I guess defog was helpful? But other than those, I'm not seeing what other uses it could possibly have.

Edit:
Raichu-alola (Magneton) @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

STATS: 75/90/105/165/105/90
Typing: Electric/Psychic
Abilities: Surge Surger

This pokemon is a very good Mid-game Sweeper. obviously you need Tapu Koko to activate surge surger, but considering that Electric Terrain will rarely be replaced by opposing terrains users(except Lele, but Bulu/Fini are almost never used) thanks a lot to how the metagame is shaped at the moment. But anyways, While in electric terrain, magneton x Raichu-alola's speed is nearly untouchable(612, that's faster than base 220 with Full investment). You'll need weather teams featuring speed boosters of their own(that are higher than base 90) or choice scarfers(137 and higher will due).

As for its power output......Let's just say Don't let it get a Nasty Plot off! Especially if you lack an unaware user that doesn't resist its stabs (Mostly T-Bolt). Hidden Power Ice is once again, for Gligar x Gyarados lol.

As for ranking it, Probably C+ because it's so heavily dependent on Tapu Koko to get going.

Last edited:
Lurantis (Munchlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Return
- Rest
New Stats: 165/135/95/70/140/15
Sure, it doesn't get STAB, but Superpower boosting hurts like hell. Also, Munchlax becomes a freaking tank.

Volcarona (Litleo) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Hyper Voice
- Dark Pulse
New Stats:92/25/68/158/104/112
After a Quiver Dance, this thing can sweep. Watch out for priority and sashes though.

Krookodile (Porygon2) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Power Trip
- Conversion
- Return
- Recover
New Stats: 115/115/125/125/120/78
Z-Conversion. Then sweep.

Maybe slash ice beam where return is on Porygon2 x Krok? Ice beam is for bypassing Gligar x Gyarados who otherwise stomps your sweep. oh and slash maybe Lonely/Naive(w/e the spd- +Atk nature is I don't really remember atm lol?) Lonely natured or Naughty Natured if you do take ice beam into consideration.

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
Maybe slash ice beam where return is? Ice beam is for bypassing Gligar x Gyarados who otherwise stomps your sweep. oh and slash maybe Lonely/Naive(w/e the spd- +Atk nature is I don't really remember atm lol?) Lonely natured or Naughty Natured if you do take ice beam into consideration.
Wait, I already have Ice Punch. Ice Beam isn't going to do anything off of 70 SpA. Besides, an Intimidate is just going to boost my attack (because of Contrary).

+1 252 Atk Munchlax Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gligar: 484-572 (100.2 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Munchlax Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gligar: 112-132 (23.1 - 27.3%) -- 52.8% chance to 4HKO

Edit: whoops

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)