Metagame Cross Evolution

BUG: When a Pokémon that gets a type change due to its cross evolution is switched out, it erroneously displays as its original type (while functioning as the intended type). You may think “So what? As long as the type functions correctly who cares what it shows?” Well then you’re ignoring the fact that changed types are displayed for a reason, and having it switch mid battle due to switching out can throw people off and turn a match on its head by causing someone to inadvertently pick the wrong move. Need a replay? Just pull any replay that lasts more than a few turns and you’ll be bound to see the display glitch in action

Ok wanted to give some meta impressions after playing on the ladder a bit and experiencing a wide arrange of teams / mons that I felt stood out to me.

Gyarados (Gligar)
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Roost / Taunt

This set is fucking busted and fits on so many different type of teams its not even funny. Gligar x Gyara has such good stats, moves, and typing to enable it to come in and sweep so many teams lacking a solid Unaware mon such as Type: Null, Gligar, or physdef Dusclops. I usually prefer Intimidate over Moxie to offer more setup opportunities and enables Gligar to act as a check to opposing Gligar which is always nice, but Moxie does have its perks in terms of helping to snowball much easier. Tbh this mon heavily warps the metagame with just the set alone enough for me to wanna consider a ban even given the higher threshold for this tier just due to how much it warps the tier around itself. I have seen mons run Ice coverage even when they shoudn't (think Spritzee x Milo or any Type: Null set just to check this thing which really is saying something).

Vivillon (Haunter) @ Leftovers / Ghostium Z / Flynium Z
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball

Imo this is the most optimal set to run on this thing even despite the drop in accuracy from not running Sleep Powder. Haunter really wants both QD and Hurricane to provide it that broken STAB combo while also enabling it to act as one of the most threatening setup sweepers in the tier. You still get a good 78% accuracy sleep move for what its worth. I especially been liking to abuse Haunter thanks to its immunity / resistance to common priority in Mach Punch, Extreme Speed, and Triage Giga Drain which is really nice for a frail setup sweeper of it's nature.

Anyways I don't wanna go to in depth of all my favorite sets and stuff so I will link some fun teams I have been using so that others can try out.

Super Screens

Full Stall

Electabuzz Balance

Have Fun!
I agree. DD taunt is by far Gligyra's best offensive set. I usually run a more bulky spread (248HP) with just Acro. Taunt + Roost is so damn good and with the extra bulk investment it makes setting up even easier. Though, I'll like to hear your full opinion on Gligar and Gyarados. Since Gyarados isn't neccesarily "busted" on any other pokemon, at least not to the extent of Gligar who's by far its best abuser. Likewise with Gligar, any other set it has (say Barbaracle, Hitmontop or Quagsire for examples) are also not "busted" either. And I think without them, a lot of shit would run rampant and lead to even more bans(like Magmar x Gallade, scyther x Breloom, type:null -> linoone etc but I'll talk about type:null soon enough....).

In my view, Gligar x Gyarados(offensively speaking) is not busted. As Its best counters/checks (from a defensive standpoint) consist of pokemon that have immense amount of physical bulk(which is quite easy to achieve in crossevo), and / or can adapt to both its STABs(Acro / EQ) + Taunt. Pokemon like Doublade(Flygon or Dnite w/Dtail), Wailmer(Toxapex w/clear smog & it can fish for burns), Rhydon(Dragonite w/Dtail), Gligar itself(Persian-alola with Rocky Helmet + Foul play), and its best counter by far is Magneton(mainly flygon). This is just off the top of my head, and all of which are relatively common and easy to fit onto teams. From an offensive standpoint, you also have Magneton(who's still its best counter w/hydreigon or Vivi), Electabuzz(preferably Vivi imo, but i suppose hydreigon can work too...), Piloswine(Tsareena, Gallade, Scolipede), rain offense etc etc.

Gligyra is an relatively easy pokemon to check or counter. You have absolutely no reason to NOT have at least a check or two. Especially with all the crazy and splashable sets that are available. This makes it hard for me to decide rather or not if Gligyra is "truly broken" as a lot of people on the main server like to claim. And we already established that Gligar's other sets and Gyarados' other abusers aren't busted, it's just a combination of Gligar's excellent stats and movepool (as a base pokemon) coupled with the excellent boosts and ability from evolving into Gyarados.

One last thing, ice beam on Nullsire is absurd, sounds like an unnecessary attempt at beating Gligyra.

EDIT: Also, I just realized you have Haze on your Spritic who also happens to be your wincon. When you already have an unaware user (whom also has haze) so.... I'm a little confused there lol. Is Spritic suppose act as a physical pseudo unaware user? Also, as a tip, competitive actually helps beat Gligyra much easier. Or any intimidate user that might think they can setup or stall out spritic(Arcanine crevos comes to mind).

Last edited:
I have next to no experience in this meta, so the following Wailmer set probably isn't all that great, but I've been enjoying it so far:

(
)

Volcarona (Wailmer) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- Roar / Toxic

New Stats:

HP: 130 + 30 = 160
Atk: 85 - 25 = 60
Def: 35 + 10 = 45
SpA: 70 + 85 = 155
SpDef: 35 + 50 = 85
Spe: 60 + 40 = 100

EVs aren't optimized at all, but w/e atm. I'm using this as a fat Special tank that can Defog hazards away and either Roar out sweepers, or stall them with a combo of Toxic + Roost. Wailpex is definitely the better way of using Wailmer, but I see this as an offensive rendition of that thanks to a much higher Speed stat letting it outpace most fat Gligados, but more importantly, it's not passive at all with that massive 155 SpA. While it's a special tank, it also punishes physical attackers with Scald + Flame Body, making it a somewhat decent U-turn punisher. The main issue this set has that makes Pex the better donor is the still really low Defense stat, but even with that, I still find this fun to use.

I want Atago to sit on me

average seiyuu enjoyer
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
great tier, certainly one of my favorite OMs

anyhow, just want to share a team that hit 1556 on ladder

hitmontop (Vullaby) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower

reuniclus (Dusclops) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic

breloom (Scyther) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- U-turn
- Spore

milotic (Type: Null) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Facade
- Recover
- Toxic
- Roar

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Solganium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Morning Sun
- Sunsteel Strike

have fun friends :psyglad:

I have been playing this mega game quite a bit,

I would suggest that don cross should be in A rank

Reason: There are several powerful setup sweepers in this meta and ditto along with a choice scarf is able to not only stop them but also counter sweep and is therefore effective against a large portion of the meta.

Here is a replay which can show ditto being used
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7crossevolution-961341951

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have been playing this mega game quite a bit,

I would suggest that don cross should be in A rank

Reason: There are several powerful setup sweepers in this meta and ditto along with a choice scarf is able to not only stop them but also counter sweep and is therefore effective against a large portion of the meta.

Here is a replay which can show ditto being used
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7crossevolution-961341951
All I see is a person being really dumb via replays. The amount of bad plays in the match is hilarious, and the icing was topped when the Chinchou didnt kill you or Haze the boosts away for no reason. I don't really see a reason why Ditto is so threatening, especially since the mons its copying usually have up to 3 times its HP stat.

All I see is a person being really dumb via replays. The amount of bad plays in the match is hilarious, and the icing was topped when the Chinchou didnt kill you or Haze the boosts away for no reason. I don't really see a reason why Ditto is so threatening, especially since the mons its copying usually have up to 3 times its HP stat.
Yeah, I was the opponent. I was super unfamiliar with the meta and had started playing it literally that day, so don’t use me as an example. :l

That said, Gligar-Bibarel is dope.

this thing tho

Volcarona (Clamperl) @ Deep Sea Tooth
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Surf

reaches 1816 spA after smashing and then smashes through their team. Yikes.
also not bad speed stat and should fit in most team types, particularly HOHOHOHO
if it isnt in the viability ranking it should be in something like A- or B+

edit: item doesnt work but still has 908 spA, maybe B- or C+ in ranking then
thats just my personal opinion dont say im writing stupid nominations.

Last edited:
I might just be stupid and not know exactly how the metagame works, but I've been using a weird mon and I like it.

Hitmonlee (Cranidos) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Mach Punch

New Stats: 82/210/58/30/75/110

Mach Punch is mostly there b/c I needed a 4th move. I might replace it w/ HJK.
This thing's base stats are ridiculous. Its already good base 135 atk goes up a ridiculous 85 points (yes, the change is that drastic) to a base 210, while its speed goes up to a solid base 110. This means that, with a scarf, it outspeeds pretty much all of the unboosted metagame.
It also gets Reckless. Which pairs with Head Smash. After STAB and Reckless, Head Smash goes up to about 270 power. And since it outspeeds, like, everything that doesn't have a boost in speed, anything that doesn't have good defense and isn't a steel type is mutilated.
The issues I've had with it have to do with priority, boosters, and the fact that it's basically killing itself with its monstrous Head Smash. But other than that, I think it's pretty solid.
Then again, I'm also using a Shell Smash KrabbyCosta, so my opinion may not be valid. Just... food for thought, I guess.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
typenull.gif

While we continue to make a decision on who the next Cross Evolution Tier Leader is, the OM Leadership has decided to suspect Type: Null! Type: Null has been on watch for a long time due to its insane BST, decent movepool and solid typing. Its primary defensive sets, Milotic, Chansey and Quagsire, give it insane levels of bulk that is practically unseen in any other metagame and solid abilities like Natural Cure and Unaware to boot, it's proven to be very difficult to break without breakers dedicated practically only to Type: Null. Its ability to force out most of the meta due to its bulk in combination with U-Turn also allows Type: Null to easily gain momentum against teams. While the defensive sets can be rather weak, Type: Null can also run offensive sets such as with Arcanine or Breloom rather effectively and should be considered as well.​

Type: Null will be allowed for the duration of the suspect test. The suspect test will last the remainder of the month, concluding on August 31st at 11pm EST.

Requirements:
The requirements to participate in the suspect voting are GXE of 78% in 30 games or more. More importantly, you will NOT need a new alt to ladder with. Any alt with the requirements will allow you to vote in this suspect test. However, you can only vote once for this suspect, so having multiple alts with the requirements will not help you.

Voting:
Voting will take place on the thread. Post your suspect requirements proof in this thread, with your vote. You will be eligible to vote as long as you have complied with the listed requirements, have provided a screenshot of said requirements, and have supplied proof that the alt is yours. You may post your opinion on the subject or what you will be voting, as this thread is not limited to posting reqs, but please refrain from attempting to manipulate the vote.
A super-majority of 60% ban is required for Type: Null to be banned from Cross Evolution.

Tagging The Immortal

Time to rip this thing a new one.

Oh boy, I've wanted to take this thing on for SO long!

I'm going to be real with you all; Type: Null is easily the best Pokemon in Cross Evolution, no contest. Yes, I am saying this with Gligar in mind, and I stand by it to this day. You may have your own opinions on Gligar in Cross Evolution, but to me at least, Gligar acts as the the Primal Groudon of Cross Evolution; something that has to always be accounted for and properly checked before expecting any success in the tier. Gligar has the stats to work with several sets outside of its main set to bring success, but even with several sets that it can utilize, it is still manageable if you are smart and clever enough. As powerful as it is, it is still very much a balanced threat seeing that there is very clear counterplay against it that doesn't overcentralize the meta.

I am bringing this up because Type: Null takes what Gligar does in the meta and abuses it to an unbearable degree, becoming an overcentralizing if not utterly broken beast that dominates the tier. Although Gligar boasts a superstar set by Cross Evolving with Gyarados as well as potentially dawning some other useful Cross Evos for different yet highly-effective niches, Type: Null's unusually-high base stat lineup of 95/95/95/95/95/59 gives it the rare luxury of being able to take full advantage of almost every single Cross Evolution available and, in some cases, abuse them at a level near or even more than Gligar x Gyarados.

Let's go over just how much Type: Null is capable of by itself. Some of the sets that Type: Null can carry are simply not okay by any standards. Type: Null has many options for highly-offensive sets that, when left unattended, can tear open teams without much effort. It can take from the likes of Arcanine, Linoone, the Hitmons, Gyarados, Bibarel, Breloom or Barbaracle for dangerously effective physical sweeper sets. On the opposite side, it can take traits from Milotic, Volcarona, Noivern, Rampardos, Swoobat or the Eeveelutions to become horrifying special breakers that can tank most incoming attacks. All of these share the following in common: Ridiculously high attacking stats or setup potential, absurd defenses that no sweeper should have easy access to, and all having a different niche from one another that warrants running one set over the other. Give Gligar some credit here; it can only really nab a few sets to such caliber and only as a somewhat-predictable physical attacker, whereas Type: Null's options for immediate raw power just keep on going on and on with so much diversity that it's hard to keep up with.

But even then, we all know the offensive potential isn't the main problem with Type: Null; it's the outrageous defensive/utility sets that can be borderline impossible to break, if not seemingly broken. The list of exploitable advantages has almost no limit: Xatu for Magic Bounce and hazard control, Toxapex or Amoongus for crazy defenses and utility options plus Regenerator, Persian-Alola to wall almost any physical attack in existence, Hariyama to become an effective tank, Whimsicott for easy disruption, Frosslass to become Normal/Ghost, Salazzle to spread Toxic uncontested with Corrosion, any of the weather starters for consistent setup for the team, the list just goes on indefinitely! Hell, a good majority of the previously-listed sets that enable offense can be doubled up as defensive sets as well, making the list of stupidly-bulky sets grow even further.

However, among all of these possibilities listed, two of the most egregious sets out of all of them are Type: Null x Chansey (NullChan) and Type: Null x Quagsire (QuagNull). NullChan is a monster of a utility set that can heal its entire party back up with Wish and Heal Bell, is unfairly difficult to kill with its ludicrous 245/95/135 bulk to the point that it's nearly impossible to ever OHKO it without prior setup or damage unless you're Cross Evolving with something like Breloom or Gallade, and can easily pivot into its teammates with U-Turn or deal some consistent damage back with STAB Tri Attack. The thing is so bulky that you're almost required to run a boosting sweeper in order to easily take it down, and is practically immune to status due to Natural Cure. None of this is even factoring the option to run Softboiled for instant healing, Serene Grace to fish for hax, Calm Mind for sweeping, or any of Chansey's other useful attacks that could potentially be utilized.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, there's QuagNull, who is arguably (and in my personal opinion) the stupidest compared to the others and may be even dumber than NullChan. How stupid is QuagNull compared to most of the other choices listed? Well, Unaware utterly shuts down almost any form of setup, which is the main way to break past its crazy defenses, it keeps itself alive forever with Recover, remains painfully difficult to OHKO while healthy due to its fantastic 135/135/135 bulk, can spread around status like the common cold, and can even boost itself with Curse to become a snowballing pseudo-sweeper using its already-high Attack even without investment, all by itself. Unless your team has a dedicated Fighting-type nuke, consistent Toxic spreading, or a balls-to-the-wall Wallbreaker like Choice Band Krabby x Araquanid, QuagNull will put your team through absolute hell if not make some cases unwinnable. It is simply that difficult to take it down by normal means.

Hopefully after all of this, you can see exactly what the problem with Type: Null is and how unfairly-busted it is compared to Gligar. Once again, Gligar is very strong and easily a meta staple, but you typically know what to expect from it and can bring mons that act as blanket checks against it and usually come out on top in the end unless the Gligar set is completely out of the blue (which CAN happen, to be fair). It's a super powerful Pokemon that oversees the tier, but it is in every way manageable given its built-in restrictions. As such, you can always predict what the Gligar set would be and can prepare for it beforehand by proxy.

With Type: Null, you can never do that. The fact is that Type: Null has the raw stats to do almost anything and some of said sets can be done to equivalent or even greater effect of Gligar x Gyarados. Type: Null brings in a kind of pressure that is nonequivalent to that of Gligar, as now you have to prepare for any and all possible Type: Null sets that are strong enough to break down or outlive most teams in general, and you can never prepare for all of them at once. Not only that, but teams have absolutely no reason to not play Type: Null because of how much natural synergy it has with any conceivable playstyle among just about any single teammate. All of this means, by definition, that Type: Null is even more of a staple and threat than Gligar x Gyarados is.

I really can't think of any good reason why Type: Null should stay. Type: Null's unparalleled versitility, splashability, usefulness, and amount of pressure its mere presence can cause on the opponent and on general teambuilding make it way too good for Cross Evolution to the point that it's technically better than what's commonly referred to as the best thing in the tier. This is a Pokemon where you always have to guess in order to figure out what it's doing, and by then you most likely can't go up against it, and this isn't even accounting its teammates that further synergize with it. Unlike Gligar who is a threat that oversees the tier, Type: Null is a total monster that has a complete stranglehold over the tier.

This is a Pokemon that should have never been allowed to stay in a tier as long as it did. If you have any second thoughts on why Type: Null should have any reason to stay in this tier, I want you to take a moment to consider the following: If you're so good that you completely outclass Arceus in almost every conceivable way, by yourself, in a tier where Arceus is allowed, you know you have a problem.

Ban it, and don't look back; it doesn't deserve your sympathy.

Last edited:
View attachment 191391

View attachment 191395

Time to rip this thing a new one.

Oh boy, I've wanted to take this thing on for SO long!

I'm going to be real with you all; Type: Null is easily the best Pokemon in Cross Evolution, no contest. Yes, I am saying this with Gligar in mind, and I stand by it to this day. You may have your own opinions on Gligar in Cross Evolution, but to me at least, Gligar acts as the the Primal Groudon of Cross Evolution; something that has to always be accounted for and properly checked before expecting any success in the tier. Gligar has the stats to work with several sets outside of its main set to bring success, but even with several sets that it can utilize, it is still manageable if you are smart and clever enough. As powerful as it is, it is still very much a balanced threat seeing that there is very clear counterplay against it that doesn't overcentralize the meta.

I am bringing this up because Type: Null takes what Gligar does in the meta and abuses it to an unbearable degree. Although Gligar boasts a superstar set by Cross Evolving with Gyarados as well as potentially dawning some other useful Cross Evos for different yet highly-effective niches, Type: Null's unusually-high base stat lineup of 95/95/95/95/95/59 gives it the rare luxury of being able to use almost every single Cross Evolution available and, in some cases, abuse them at a level near or even more than Gligar x Gyarados.

Let's go over just how much Type: Null is capable of by itself. Some of the sets that Type: Null can carry are simply not okay by any standards. Type: Null has many options for highly-offensive sets that, when left unattended, can tear open teams without much effort. It can take from the likes of Arcanine, Linoone, the Hitmons, Gyarados, Bibarel, Breloom or Barbaracle for dangerously effective physical sweeper sets. On the opposite side, it can take traits from Milotic, Volcarona, Noivern, Rampardos, Swoobat or the Eeveelutions to become horrifying special breakers that can tank most incoming attacks. All of these share the following in common: Ridiculously high attacking stats or setup potential, absurd defenses that no sweeper should have easy access to, and all having a different niche from one another that warrants running one set over the other. Give Gligar some credit here; it can only really nab a few sets to such caliber and only as a somewhat-predictable physical attacker, whereas Type: Null's options for immediate raw power just keep on going on and on with so much diversity that it's hard to keep up with.

But even then, we all know the offensive potential isn't the main problem with Type: Null; it's the outrageous defensive/utility sets that can be borderline impossible to break, if not seemingly broken. The list of exploitable advantages has almost no limit: Xatu for Magic Bounce and hazard control, Toxapex or Amoongus for crazy defenses and utility options plus Regenerator, Persian-Alola to wall almost any physical attack in existence, Chansey for a beefy Wish tank that can support the entire team, Hariyama to become an effective tank, Whimsicott for easy disruption, Frosslass to become Normal/Ghost, any of the weather starters for consistent setup for the team, the list just goes on indefinitely! Hell, a good majority of the previously-listed sets that enable offense can be doubled up as defensive sets as well, making the list of stupidly-bulky sets grow even further.

However, even with all of this, the most egregious set out of all of them is Type: Null x Quagsire (also known as QuagNull). How stupid is QuagNull compared to most of the other choices listed? Well, it can shut down almost any form of setup, keeps itself alive forever with Recover, remains painfully difficult to OHKO while healthy, can spread around status like the common cold, and can even boost itself with Curse to become a pseudo-sweeper using its already-high Attack even without investment, all by itself. Unless your team has a dedicated Fighting-type nuke, consistent Toxic spreading, or a balls-to-the-wall Wallbreaker like Choice Band Krabby x Araquanid, QuagNull will put your team through absolute hell if not make some cases unwinnable. It is simply that difficult to take it down by normal means.

Hopefully, you can see exactly what the problem with Type: Null is and how unfairly-busted it is compared to Gligar. Gligar is very strong and easily a meta staple, but you typically know what to expect and can bring mons that act as blanket checks against it and usually come out on top in the end unless the Gligar set is completely out of the blue (which CAN happen, to be fair). With Type: Null, you can never do that. The fact is that Type: Null has the raw stats to do almost anything and some of said sets can be done to equivalent or even greater effect of Gligar x Gyarados. Type: Null brings in a kind of pressure that is nonequivalent to that of Gligar, as now you have to prepare for any and all possible Type: Null sets that are strong enough to break down or outlive most teams in general, and you can never prepare for all of them at once. Not only that, but teams have absolutely no reason to not play Type: Null because of how much natural synergy it has with any conceivable playstyle among just about any single teammate.

I really can't think of any good reason why Type: Null should stay. Type: Null's unparalleled versitility, splashability, usefulness, and amount of pressure its mere presence can cause on the opponent and on general teambuilding make it way too good for Cross Evolution to the point that it's technically better than what's commonly referred to as the best thing in the tier. This is a Pokemon where you always have to guess in order to figure out what it's doing, and by then you most likely can't go up against it, and this isn't even accounting its teammates that further synergize with it.

If you have any second thoughts on why Type: Null should have any reason to stay in this tier, I want you to take a moment to consider the following: If you're so good that you completely outclass Arceus in almost every conceivable way, by yourself, in a tier where Arceus is allowed, you know you have a problem.

Ban it, and never let something like this stay in a tier as long as it did; it doesn't deserve your sympathy.

THIS RIGHT HERE! Well put, my friend!

As great as Gligar is, it's not broken. Both defensively and offensively. But should still be considered when teambuilding regardless if you're using it or not.

But anyways, as for Type:Null, it definitely takes the cake. You've already touched on everything I've wanted to say. Especially the fact that Null is incredibly unpredictable or at least can be. Even its most common set( Chansey) is versatile as hell. It can either be a hazard setter, wish passer, cleric, wincon(via curse or Calm mind) etc and that's just ONE set covering plethora of roles. Now imagine how ridiculously versatile its other sets can potentially be....lmao. I'm in full agreement, Ban Type:Null!

Also, personally, I think the Chansey set is more unbreakable than Quag. All you need is raw strength(which is quite easy to achieve in CE, off the top of my head I think of Hitmonlee, Breloom, Gallade, certain Vikavolt sets/variants etc as examples) for the quag set.

Attachments

• "You can't go over base 255 or under 1 on any stat. Combinations that produce Pokémon with negative base stats or over 255 are banned."
After the suspect testing with Null is done(or before, it doesn't matter much to me), I would like for this to be removed until further notice. I want those said PKMN to cap at 255/1 instead of becoming illegal. Thanks! Tagging Urkerab

Last edited:
  • "You can't go over base 255 or under 1 on any stat. Combinations that produce Pokémon with negative base stats or over 255 are banned."
Afterthe suspect testing with Null is done(or before, it doesn't matter much to me), I would like for this to be removed until further notice. I want those said PKMN to cap at 255/1 instead of becoming illegal. Thanks! Tagging Urkerab
Yeah, this has been a common complaint for a while. The only real defense I can give this decision is that changing the limit would allow more stuff to Cross Evolve with the likes of Ninjask or Accelgor for an easy +120 Speed buff, as the heavy drop in Defense made it unavailable for most. But, even with that, I'm totally on board with this decision and agree it should be done to at least remain consistent with the likes of Tier Shift and MnM (or at least tested to be sure nothing stupid comes from it).

I've talked with Nido about Type:Null and he echoed my sentiments exactly. I could've easily made reqs with my first team which had Type:Null into Xatu (gets around a lot of the usual answers pretty well, bouncing status and whatnot), but I wanted to try again without using Type Null to see how hard it would be. I replaced Type:Null with Munchlax as it was my Spdef wall on that team, and traded my Linoone-Munchlax for another BD abuser. It was noticeably tougher laddering without the suspected 'mon, and matchups involving it were unfavorable. I traded out my BD user for a Gallade to help deal with the presence of Nulls after losing a few too many matches to QuagNull.

Type:Null's versatility makes it truly obnoxious to deal with. Chansey:Null is eating pretty much every specs hit, and QuagNull is beating down almost every set up mon in the tier bar maybe Vivibuzz. It has a lot of other viable sets too, I've seen Arcanine and Linoone sets, even some Milotics that can be obnoxious with Facade + monstrous defenses from Flame Orb. One of the biggest problems is you never know just what set exactly it will be until it comes out, too. Most 'mons have some predictability to them, even if the meta can be very flexible. But with Type Null, because it can use every cross evo, it needs every check imaginable. Accounting for every set and being able to break them all can be a headache. I used a Taunting Ghost type for stallbreaking already, but had to add a Life Orb Fraxure/Gallade pretty much for this 'mon. It's underrated, unexpected and super good, yes, but also I specifically added this set thinking that it would make QuagNull more tolerable, and indeed it does.

Its offensive sets can break through the tier quite capably and its defensive sets wall pretty much everything but the most obscenely offensive Pokemon in the tier. When something is this absurdly versatile and good at everything it does, I'll always vote ban.

After testing some sets(on rom), stall seem to have gotten a bit of a buff and (in my opinion) will also not suffer from the loss of Nullchan or quagnull, thanks to the removal of the stat restrictions.

Chansey and Munchlax literally takes it spot(on stall). Chansey in particular(running Clefable) just became the tier greatest Special defensive wall. So far, it seems to wall every single setup special attacker to hell and back. You have no choice but to rely on physical attackers or extremely strong special attackers like Frilish x Accelgor's water spout in the rain while holding specs. Maybe psyshock users can bypass, since 255/30 isn't neccesarily great and can be exploited.

Last edited:
After testing some sets(on rom), stall seem to have gotten a bit of a buff and (in my opinion) will also not suffer from the loss of Nullchan or quagnull, thanks to the removal of the stat restrictions.

Chansey and Munchlax literally takes it spot(on stall). Chansey in particular(running Clefable) just became the tier greatest Special defensive wall. So far, it seems to wall every single setup special attacker to hell and back. You have no choice but to rely on physical attackers or extremely strong special attackers like Frilish x Accelgor's water spout in the rain while holding specs. Maybe psyshock users can bypass, since 255/30 isn't neccesarily great and can be exploited.
Yeah, ummm, about that...

I fear we may have made a terrible mistake here.

In hindsight, maybe we shouldn't just blindly remove the stat cap in Cross Evo, and instead test it out to see if it can be done a bit more...tastefully :x

Yeah, ummm, about that...
View attachment 192748
View attachment 192746
I fear we may have made a terrible mistake here.

In hindsight, maybe we shouldn't just blindly remove the stat cap in Cross Evo, and instead test it out to see if it can be done a bit more...tastefully :x

That's exactly what I'm doing, testing it. So far, pokemon like ferroseed, chansey, munchlax, spritzee, honedge etc are the only ones that truly benefit from it. Especially chansey and spritzee, since both of em had limited viable donors and were rather extremely predictable(I mean, they're STILL predictable but at least now you can expect more than just the typical decidueye or Milotic/Chansey set respectively).

Btw, did you see Munchlax w/toxapex though? Dude has more overall bulk than the wailmer set......sheeesh

Voting Ban on Type:Null.
Type:Null evolving into Quagsire, Chansey, or Milotic is just so insanely hard to break, and all three require different strategies for smashing through. You are essentially required to have multiple super-powered fighting moves on your team, and those are either quite obvious to your opponent (i.e. Gallade and Breloom) or often aren't strong enough (non-STAB fighting coverage). I have always had to dedicate the sixth slot of my team to a boosting Mold Breaker with fighting coverage (usually with Fightinium Z) exclusively for smashing past the Quag and Milotic variants, but if this gets worn down or the opponent avoids my one shot with the Z-move, I've all too often found myself up a creek. Add in the fact that Type:Null can also function as a huge array of incredibly dangerous offensive pokemon, and it is simply busted.

At this point, I'm not too sure about my initial negative response to Gen 8 Crossevo following the leaks. There's still a decent amount of variety in terms of what viable prevos and evolutions can be used, although that has been severely restricted. That said, I'm looking forward to what Gen 8 will be looking like nonetheless.

Sadly, a huge chunk of the Pokedex has been completely wiped out of the game, so we aren't going to be able to play Cross Evolution with a lot of formerly legal Pokemon, unless National Dex OMs are officially accepted by the community or by Smogon. With this in mind, it may be time to say goodbye to the former metagame defining prevos:
Gligar, Chansey, Scyther, Magneton, Porygon2, Tangela, Grimer-A, and lots more...
...as well as some of the strongest donors:
Vivillon, Dragonite, Volcarona, Nidoking, Breloom, Greninja, and then some...
...along with some former Uber titans:
Kyogre, Groudon, fug, Xerneas, and Arceus.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-​

With that out of the way, it's time to list what we can use.

Some returning viable prevos:
Ferroseed
Doublade
Spritzee
Haunter
Chinchou
Dusclops
Pumpkaboo-Super
Rhydon
Ferroseed
Klang
Honedge
Onix
Pawniard
Wailmer
Frillish
Munchlax
Sliggoo
Squirtle
Vullaby
Fraxure
Gastly
Marshadow (unreleased)

There are plenty more, but I'm far too lazy to list them off :]

Notes: No, I will not be going over the list of donors that are still left. That list is unfortunately too time-consuming to make.

As it is a new generation, formerly banned threats may see the light of day yet again.

Sneasel
Type:Null

I, for one, welcome testing Sneasel again, but I still don't think Type:Null is healthy for the metagame at all. It still retains its unpredictability and sheer base stats. Either it stays banned or gets quickbanned; I don't care how it happens, but it needs to stay out.

Interestingly enough, some old formerly final-stage Pokemon actually got both Galarian forms and Galarian evolutions, meaning that those Galarian forms can be used as prevos now.

Corsola (Galar)
Type: Ghost
Stage: 1
Stats: 60/55/100/65/100/35 (415)
Notable moves: Shadow Ball, Mirror Coat, Counter, Will-O-Wisp, Stealth Rock, Haze, Strength Sap, Stealth Rock, Scald
At first glance, Corsola-G seems incredibly similar to Duskull and seems outclassed by Dusclops. However, that is not the case. Being a Stage 1 prevo, it has access to a huge number of strong donors, such as Milotic and Quagsire, a great movepool, and has more HP and slightly higher defenses than Duskull, making it a strong contender as one of the strongest defensive Ghost-types. Not much more to say, expect this to be lower A-tier at least.

Farfetch'd (Galar)
Type: Fighting
Stats: 52/95/55/58/62/55 (377)
Notable moves: Swords Dance, Close Combat, Leaf Blade, Knock Off, Brave Bird
Really, out of the Galarian prevos, this might just be the bottom of the barrel. I guess we got a half-decent stage 1 Fighting-type, at least? It gets some decent offensive options, but lacks the stats to support them.

Ponyta (Galar)
Type: Psychic
Stats: 50/85/55/65/65/90 (410)
Notable moves: Calm Mind, Dazzling Gleam, Psyshock, Psychic, Play Rough, Zen Headbutt, Low Kick, Wild Charge, Morning Sun, High Horsepower
Now in sparkly, fabulous perfection, Ponyta makes waves in the Pokemon community with its rather sudden shift in design. However, Crossevo might not feel those same effects. Not much to add on statwise, as it's identical to normal Ponyta, but if you're looking for a decent physical Psychic-type prevo, this might be for you. Unfortunately, it has a fairly shallow movepool and with a pure Psychic typing to boot, which hurts it offensively. Add that on to the mediocre base bulk and its effectiveness becomes questionable.

Mr. Mime (Galar)
Type: Ice/Psychic
Stage: 2
Stats: 50/65/65/90/90/100 (460)
Notable moves: Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Nasty Plot, Encore, Rapid Spin, Healing Wish, Psyshock, Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, Focus Blast
Decently high base stats and a decent offensive typing mean that for the first time in Crossevo history we may be seeing a legitimately viable fast Ice-type. Not only does it have a host of supporting options, it also has a decent base movepool with a fairy good STAB combination. It might struggle with the sudden influx of Ghost-types, though.

Linoone (Galar)
Type: Dark/Normal
Stats: 78/70/61/50/61/100 (420)
Notable moves: Parting Shot, Knock Off, Double Edge, Stomping Tantrum, Gunk Shot
While the base stats don't stand out as much as Galarian Mime, it still boasts a decent offensive typing that can be changed with a good cross evolution. Notably, it gets Parting Shot, as well as STAB Knock Off which is as useful as ever this generation. Although the pool of good stage 3 donors is notably more limited this generation, I think it has a decent niche in the metagame as a fast pivot or as a decently powerful physical attacker.

Notes: Certain Galarian forms are not included here. I only included ones I believed would have some semblance of viability, hence why you don't see stuff like Zigzagoon here.

All-new viable (?) prevos grace the scene:

Drakloak
Type: Dragon/Ghost
Stats: 62/80/50/60/50/102 (410)
Notable moves: Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Outrage, Will-O-Wisp, U-Turn
Having a high base Speed stat and decent Attack, Drakloak has a decent foothold in the metagame. It naturally has access to Dragon Dance and its Dragon-type STABs, so it can pull its weight offensively. However, it struggles with its secondary Ghost-typing. Having no decent Ghost STAB other than Phantom Force, it struggles to make use of its Ghost-typing, and that secondary typing might actually hurt it down in some cases. However, it is fairly simple to replace secondary typings in this metagame or just find it a donor that learns Shadow Claw, so hopefully it doesn't drag it down too much. Also you saw that right. No Earthquake OR Close Combat. It has it rough against Steels too.

Raboot
Type: Fire
Stats: 65/86/60/55/60/94 (420)
Notable moves: Flare Blitz, High Jump Kick, Gunk Shot, Super Fang, U-Turn, Sucker Punch
Raboot has a decent-ish Fire-type, and while it lacks the special moves that make its evolution so great, namely Court Change and Pyro Ball, it still packs decent coverage options. Not much more to say. If you need a physical Magmar replacement, this has potential.

Drizzile
Type: Water
Stats: 65/60/55/95/55/90 (420)
Notable moves: Surf, U-Turn, Sucker Punch, Ice Shard (?)
Like fire and water (literally) and on the opposite side of the spectrum we have Drizzile. Again, there's not much to talk about. Pure Water-type, decent offenses, this time special, pivoting with U-Turn. Unlike Raboot, however, this lacks coverage completely, even lacking basics like Ice Beam and Scald. When you use this, you might want to choose a donor that actually has a respectable movepool.

Notes:
Some might wonder why I haven't included Thwackey with the other two starters. This is easily explainable, as Thwackey lacks the specialized stats that the other starters have. Grass has never been stellar offensively, and any viability it might have in sun (since it has access to Solar Blade) is unfortunately overshadowed by the Chlorophyll donors that also got it this generation, namely Leafeon and the Shiftry family. Of course, it may have a niche there, but Stage 3 Chlorophyll users are few and far between.

As an afterword, this generation unfortunately not only had a fewer number of new pokemon than any other generation besides 6/7, it also has fewer viable prevos than any other. The main problem stems from Gamefreak's bizarre fetish for min-maxing or streamlining stats which has made most prevos not only bland in terms of stat distribution but also exceptionally low compared to other generations, not to mention the empty movepools this time around.

With over half the Pokedex effectively gone, it's logical that the donor pool has become rather sparse. However, Gen 8 actually comes in clutch with some very decent donors that could have strong applications on any playstyle. I'll leave effects for new abilities and moves at the bottom.

Greedent
Type changes: none/none
Abilities: Cheek Pouch/Gluttony
Stat bonuses: +50/40/40/20/40/-5 (185)
Notable moves: Body Slam, Earthquake, Superpower, Crunch, Psychic Fangs, Wild Charge, Swords Dance
Although the movepool is fairly small, it does include good coverage moves and Swords Dance. Both of its abilities are fairly subpar offensively, but there could be some random tech you could pull with early berries or free heals. Otherwise, not much to look at besides its fairly good stat boosts.

Thievul
Abilities: Run Away/Unburden/Stakeout
Stat bonuses: +30/30/30/40/40/40 (210)
Notable moves: Nasty Plot, Knock Off, Play Rough, Parting Shot, Shadow Ball, U-Turn
This actually has some pretty great abilities backed by well rounded stat bonuses and a decent movepool. Stakeout was held back in Gen 7 by Gumshoos' mediocre stat bonuses, but this time Thievul now creates the distinct possibilities of special or mixed Stakeout users. In addition, it is a viable Unburden donor, and has Nasty Plot to complement that.

Eldegoss
Abilities: Cotton Down/Regenerator/Effect Spore
Stat bonuses: +20/10/30/40/60/50 (210)
Notable moves: Cotton Guard, Leech Seed, Rapid Spin, Synthesis
Eldegoss gives good stat bonuses as well as Regenerator as an ability, which was previously only seen on the likes of Tangrowth, the Slowbro/Slowking family, and the Reuniclus family, none of which were renowned for their exceptional stat bonuses. On the other hand, Eldegoss sacrifices good moves for good stat boosts and a more specialized moveset.

Dubwool
Abilities: Fluffy/Steadfast/Bulletproof
Stat bonuses: +30/40/45/20/45/40 (220)
Notable moves: Double Edge, Swords Dance, Body Press, Cotton Guard, Thunder Wave
Dubwool has an absolutely pathetic movepool, but it makes up for that with Fluffy and good stat boosts. Not amazing, but sure to find a niche with some defensive or boost-reliant prevos.

Dreadnaw
Type changes: none/Rock
Abilities: Strong Jaw/Shell Armor/Swift Swim
Stat bonuses: +40/52/40/10/30/30 (201)
Notable moves: Liquidation, Ice Fang, Superpower, Earthquake, Swords Dance, Crunch, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock
Compared to Barraskewda, this does add a Rock-type secondary typing, and it does have the STAB moves to back it up. One could see this as both a positive or a negative, but overall it is just as or more viable as a Swift Swim donor.

Boltund
Abilities: Strong Jaw/Competitive
Stat bonuses: +10/45/10/50/10/95 (220)
Notable moves: Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Discharge, Play Rough, Psychic Fangs, Crunch, Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, Nuzzle
With plenty of new and old Pokemon getting Defog this generation, a fast Competitive donor might be worth looking at. Boltund fills this role well. It gives a decent Special Attack boost and a massive Speed boost, pretty much only outdone by Accelgor and Ninjask. Boltund provides pivoting and coverage options, and is even usable with Strong Jaw, as slow strong physical attackers not only appreciate the Speed bonus but also the Strong Jaw boosted coverage options.

Flapple
Abilities: Ripen/Gluttony/Hustle
Stat bonuses: +30/70/0/55/20/50 (225)
Notable moves: Dragon Dance, Gravapple, Draco Meteor, Outrate, U-Turn, Sucker Punch
Unlike its evolutionary counterpart, this evolution of Applin is extremely straightforward. It has a tiny movepool with barely any coverage, and it's designed to be the more offensive counterpart to Appletun. While not nearly as good as Appletun, in my opinion, it still has decent offensive options as a fast pivot or as a DDance setup sweeper. Hustle is a decent ability, but it lacks access to Hone Claws to make up for the 20% drop in accuracy. Still viable, but less options and more predictable, as well as far more reliant on the strengths of the prevo.

Appletun
Abilities: Ripen/Gluttony/Thick Fat
Stat bonuses: +70/45/0/60/40/10 (225)
Notable moves: Recover, Body Press, Leech Seed, Reflect, Light Screen, Curse, Earthquake, Gyro Ball, Sucker Punch, Recycle
This initially went under my radar, so I was pretty shocked when I first looked at its viability as a donor. Not only is it one of the few donors to provide true active recovery, it also has great and decent abilities, those being Thick Fat and Ripen respectively. Pairing Ripen with Recycle and Recover could give Appletun some excellent potential with the right berries. On the other hand, Thick Fat can give its prevo an excellent defensive ability to check the new Ice- and Fire-types that may rise to prominence. It's no one-trick pony either. Due to its wide movepool and good stat boosts, it's difficult to predict specifically what moves or set it's running.

Sandaconda
Abilities: Sand Spit/Shed Skin/Sand Veil
Stat bonuses: +20/50/50/30/20/25 (195)
Notable moves: Iron Head, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Rock Slide, Coil, Glare
Although its stats are only above average and its movepool is rather dry, what sets it apart is Sand Spit. I'm not actually sure how good this ability will be in practice, but being able to set sand just by being hit might see some use with slow pivot prevos.

Barraskewda
Abilities: Swift Swim/Propeller Tail
Stat bonuses: +20/60/20/20/20/70 (210)
Notable moves: Close Combat, Liquidation, Drill Run, Crunch, Psychic Fangs
I initially though that Propeller Tail was a lot better than it actually is, but that doesn't necessarily detract from its value. It can fit decently well on Swift Swim teams, allowing for an Adamant nature because of its naturally high speed.

Toxtricity Amped (Low Key)
Abilities: Punk Rock/Plus (Minus)/Technician
Stat bonuses: +35/60/35/60/35/35 (260)
Notable moves: Boomburst, Overdrive, Volt Switch, Sludge Bomb, Gunk Shot, Shift Gear, Drain Punch, Fire Punch, Nuzzle
Giving good stat boosts across the board and a decent movepool to take advantage of, as well as two good abilities making it less predictable, Toxtricity is a force to be reckoned with. A lot of Pokemon benefit from Technician/Shift Gear as physical attackers, while certain special attackers appreciate boosted Boomburst/Overdrive. Overall, you can't really go wrong with Toxtricity; its stat bonuses are universally beneficial and it has good moves to complement its abilities. In addition, you can technically have two on your team, as Toxtricity-Amped and Toxtricity-Low Key are considered separate Pokemon. (Species clause checks dex number)

Centiskorch
Abilities: Flash Fire/White Smoke/Flame Body
Stat bonuses: +50/50/20/40/40/20 (220)
Notable moves: Knock Off, Fire Lash, Will-O-Wisp, Coil
While this lacks recovery like the other viable Flash Fire donor, Arcanine, this one gives a good Attack buff and access to Coil. A small niche, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Grapploct
Abilities: Limber/Technician
Stat bonuses: +30/50/30/20/30/10 (170)
Notable moves: Body Slam, Close Combat, Circle Throw, Octolock, Topsy Turvy
Grapploct lacks extremely good stat boosts, but it makes up for that with one of the most disruptive movepools of any new donor. Topsy Turvy hurts setup sweepers, Octolock massacres stall, Circle Throw can force out strong foes, so on. Although not the best, it does carve out its niche as a very disruptive Pokemon.

Polteageist
Abilities: Weak Armor/Cursed Body
Stat bonuses: +20/20/20/60/60/20 (200)
Notable moves: Shadow Ball, Will-O-Wisp, Hex, Strength Sap, Shell Smash, Nasty Plot, Light Screen, Reflect, Aromatherapy, Memento, Sucker Punch, Stored Power
Polteageist doesn't have stellar stat bonuses, but it makes up for that with its movepool. It can function as a mixed, physical, or special sweeper with Shell Smash, or it can provide support with Wisp and Aromatherapy as well as dual screens, or it can even function as a suicide lead. Although it's held back by its odd stat distribution and mediocre abilities, it pulls its weight with its versatility.

Hatterene
Type changes: none/Fairy
Abilities: Healer/Anticipation/Magic Bounce
Stat bonuses: +0/50/30/50/30/0 (160)
Notable moves: Dazzling Gleam, Play Rough, Calm Mind, Nuzzle, Power Whip, Swords Dance, Shadow Claw, Aromatherapy
The first thing you notice when you pull up this Pokemon in the teambuilder is its lack of good moves. That's not to say it doesn't have any, but it's hard pressed to provide good coverage options to its prevo. That said, it does have good mixed offense boosts, and is one of the only Magic Bounce donors alongside Espeon.

Grimmsnarl
Abilities: Prankster/Frisk/Pickpocket
Stage: 3
Stat bonuses: +30/60/20/20/20/-10 (140)
Notable moves: False Surrender, Spirit Break, Stomping Tantrum, Play Rough, Fake Out, Drain Punch, Power Whip, Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot, Dazzling Gleam, Taunt, Sucker Punch, Reflect, Light Screen
While its stat boosts aren't necessarily top of the line, it does provide a decent Attack boost and a fairly diverse movepool that synergizes well with Prankster. It can provide dual screens support or function as a setup sweeper. At times the poor stat gains may hold it back, but it makes up for it with less overall predictability.

Perrserker
Abilities: Battle Armor/Tough Claws/Steely Spirit
Stat bonuses: +20/45/45/10/20/10 (150)
Notable moves: Fake Out, Gunk Shot, Close Combat, Iron Head, Play Rough, Shadow Claw, U-Turn
While its stat bonuses are mediocre, along with Barbaracle, this is now one of the few donors of Tough Claws in the game. It also has a respectable offensive movepool. Not sure how much of a niche this could find, but it's worth pointing out.

Cursola
Abilities: Weak Armor/Perish Body
Stat bonuses: +0/40/-50/80/30/-5 (95)
Notable moves: Stealth Rock, Strength Sap, Scald, Will-O-Wisp, Haze, Perish Song, Stone Edge
Cursola has appalling stat boosts and doesn't improve much upon Corsola-Galar's movepool. It loses quite a bit of Defense, a little Speed, and provides no HP bonus in exchange for an ability that would be abusable had its awful physical bulk bonus not been so detrimental. That said, it can still force switches on weak or resisted physical moves.

Alcremie
Abilities: Sweet Veil/Aroma Veil
Stat bonuses: +20/20/35/60/60/30 (225)
Notable moves: Reflect, Light Screen, Recover, Aromatherapy
This has a pretty tiny movepool, but fairly good stat boosts combined with an ability that prevents Taunt allows it to live up to the role of bulky support. Other than that, it's hard to say. Maybe it'll find a use on bulky or stall teams, but it tends to get overshadowed by a lot of more specialized donors.

Frosmoth
Abilities: Shield Dust/Ice Scales
Stat bonuses: +40/40/25/80/60/45 (290)
Notable moves: Quiver Dance, Defog, U-Turn, Ice Beam, Aurora Veil
It lacks moves, but makes up for that with great stat bonuses as well as an excellent new ability in Ice Scales, making it the premier donor for special walls. While we may have lost Chansey as a donor, Frosmoth can somewhat fill that void, although it lacks the support options that made Chansey what it was. It also has access to U-Turn, which makes it harder to trap. Some Pokemon may appreciate some extra bulk as they set up, and Frosmoth also accomodates that, allowing some Pokemon to fill a role as bulky QDers.

Copperajah
Abilities: Sheer Force/Heavy Metal
Stat bonuses: +50/50/20/40/20/-10 (170) (Weight: +550kg)
Notable moves: Earthquake, Heavy Slam, Play Rough, Power Whip, Stealth Rock, Steel Beam, Earth Power, Rock Slide
While the stat boosts are not incredible, it makes up for that with Sheer Force and its ability to function on TR due to its Speed loss and decently high boosts in both offenses. While its movepool is not amazing, it still has good coverage options like Sheer Force-boosted Rock Slide and Earth Power.

Darmanitan (Galar)
Abilities: Gorilla Tactics/Zen Mode
Stat bonuses: +35/50/10/15/10/45 (155)
Notable moves: Icicle Crash, Superpower, Earthquake, Iron Head, Stone Edge, U-Turn
In my opinion, a heavily constrained yet probably one of the most broken new donors to be introduced this generation. While the stat boosts are the same as normal Darmanitan, Gorilla Tactics is such an absurdly overpowered ability that we can pretty much overlook that. Giving its prevo good offensive stat boosts as well as a free Choice Band is pretty terrifying, and powerful Scarfers/Bands have the potential to completely maul balanced and stall teams.

Rillaboom
Abilities: Overgrow/Grassy Surge
Stat bonuses: +30/40/20/5/10/5 (110)
Notable moves: Drum Beating, Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Darkest Lariat, Boomburst, Leaf Storm, Knock Off, U-Turn, Low Kick, Superpower, Taunt
While its stat boosts are nothing to be in awe of, it offers a decent movepool and an excellent ability in Grassy Surge. Never have we actually had a donor with Grassy Surge, and sun/Grassy Terrain based teams have potential in the Gen 8 metagame. Unfortunately, the beneficiaries of a Rillaboom cross are hindered by its mediocre base stats. However, it could see a place on TR, as the decent attack boost with Grassy Surge is pretty good on its own.

Cinderace
Abilites: Blaze/Libero
Stat bonuses: +15/30/15/10/15/25 (110)
Notable moves: Pyro Ball, High Jump Kick, Iron Head, U-Turn, Gunk Shot, Sucker Punch, Court Change
Comparable to Greninja in terms of stats, but more physically oriented, this generation's take on a Protean donor shouldn't fall behind in the metagame. Pyro Ball is an excellent Fire-type move, and Libero guarantees STAB on its high-powered moves.

Inteleon
Abilities: Torrent/Sniper
Stat bonuses: +5/25/10/30/10/30 (110)
Notable moves: Surf, Scald, Sucker Punch, Ice Beam, Swords Dance, U-Turn
The specially oriented counterpart to Cinderace, Inteleon has a much more restricted movepool but has a more specific niche. It gets Focus Energy and Sniper, so Criteleon sets may be viable. Not much more to say, as otherwise it's fairly mediocre.

Corviknight
Type changes: none/Steel
Abilities: Pressure/Unnerve/Mirror Armor
Stat bonuses: +30/20/50/10/30/-10 (130)
Notable moves: Roost, U-Turn, Defog, Body Slam
Corviknight has a decent added defensive typing and a small but useful support movepool as well as above-average stat increases for a stage 3 donor. Not much more to say, can find a niche with strong defensive stage 2 prevos like Togetic.

Dragapult
Abilities: Clear Body/Infiltrator/Cursed Body
Stat bonuses: +20/40/25/40/25/40 (190)
Notable moves: Dragon Dance, Dragon Darts, U-Turn, Sucker Punch, Psychic Fangs, Surf, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Will-O-Wisp
Many of the problems with Drakloak transfer over to Dragapult, with its fairly bad physical movepool and predictable moveset. However, it does get a new toy in Dragon Darts, which does mitigate that somewhat, it being the most reliable Dragon-type STAB at the moment. In addition, it still is a Dragon Dance donor, so it's hard to imagine it not being viable, taking into consideration its decent mixed offensive boosts.

New notable moves:
Gravapple: 80/100 Grass/Physical - 100% chance to lower target Defense
Overdrive: 80/100 Electric/Special - No other effects, sound-based
Octolock: Status - Traps the foe, decreases their Defense/Special Defense every turn
Spirit Break: 80/100 Fairy/Physical - 100% chance to lower target Special Attack
False Surrender: 80/- Dark/Physical - Cannot miss
Steel Beam: 140/100 Steel/Special - User loses 50% HP, hits adjacent Pokemon
Drum Beating: 80/100 Grass/Physical - 100% chance to lower target Speed
Pyro Ball: 120/90 Fire/Physical - 10% chance to burn
Court Change: Status - Swaps hazards and screens with the opponent
Dragon Darts: 50/100 Dragon/Physical - Hits twice | Doubles: Hits each opponent once

New abilities:
Ripen: Doubles the effect of held berries
Sand Spit: Sets sand upon being attacked
Propeller Tail: Ignores the "drawing in" effect of certain moves abilities (i.e. Follow Me, Lightning Rod, Storm Drain)
Punk Rock: Boosts the power of sound-based moves, halves the power of incoming sound-based moves
Steely Spirit: Powers up ally Steel-type moves (percent boost unknown, does not affect self)
Perish Body: Contacts inflicts "perish" upon both attacker and receiver
Ice Scales: Halves damage taken from special moves. This includes Psyshock!
Gorilla Tactics: +50% Attack, locks user into its first move
Mirror Armor: Bounces back all stat decreases

Note: Cross Evolution has classically ignored move and ability illegalities. I'm not sure how that will mesh with the unavailability of abilities like Libero, but we'll see in due time.

Latest edit: added Grimmsnarl, Alcremie, Greedent, and Sandaconda. Added a description for Hatterene.

Will add more stuff here later, this post has already taken up a good portion of my time. Hopefully will be testing out sets as the update hits Rom.

Last edited:
we aren't going to be able to play cross evolution with a lot of formerly legal Pokemon, unless National Dex OMs are officially accepted by the community or by Smogon.
I'm looking forward to the section I underlined because that would/will be awesome.

Edit: I just realized, we now have Scrappy access without Pangoro (who adds Dark typing). Thanks, Sirfetch'd, for pretty much replacing Swellow. +10/40/40/10/20/10 (+130 BST).
First Impression (if evolving a Bug type, maybe)
Meteor Assault (Fighting type, not to be confused with Meteor Mash)
Solar Blade (Grass, a physical Solar Beam with +5 more base power)
Simple Beam (uhhm… ok?)
Leaf Blade
Sky Attack
Night Slash
Close Combat
Superpower
Feint (I like this move)
Brave Bird
Steel Wing
Double Edge
Swords Dance
Counter
Flail
Body Slam
Iron Defense

Lastly, corrections to Mr. Mime-Galar (umm… was there a divorce or something?):
Now the first regional variant of a 3-stage evolution line wherein the first stage has no regional variant.
Unfortunately, GameFreak decided to make it similar to Marowak-Alola in that TWO TYPES change. (Seriously, GF? You couldn't have just turned the Fairy Type into Ice? You had to change both the primary and secondary type, even though Psychic is one of them?)
Therefore: +Ice/Psychic, +30/40/20/20/0/40 is why this is one of the worst options as an evolution.
However, it is GREAT as an NFE (not as good as Kantonian Mr. Mime would be, but… that doesn't exist as an NFE, yet), IF you choose something like Tyranitar, Charizard, Skarmory, or other 3rd-stage Evolvers that add or replace a Type. As an NFE, it does NOT have access to Milotic.

Corvisquire is the FIRST EVER PURE FLYING TYPE! That means it resists Fighting type, though no Ghost immunity. It's not super-awesome, really, but it's a gimmick that's nice to have sometimes, especially now since Fighting moves have multiplied.
It also seems you left out Cursola. Given, it has access to a ridiculously abusable Ability, but its Defense drop and Special Attack boost are similar to Volcarona's(?).

Polteageist gets access to not only Shell Smash, but also Stored Power and Strength Sap.
Although Grimmsnarl is only +140 BST, you can't argue with +30HP, +60Atk, +20Def/SpA/SpD, -10Spe. Or can you?
Alcremie gives +225 BST. That's +20/20/35/60/60/30. I see this as a high-tier evolution, stat-wise.
Greedent is rather good with adding bulk and physical attack, and reducing speed: +50/40/40/20/40/-5.

Dottler may actually make a decent Stage 2 base, because of its rather reasonable 50/80/90 bulk. Add Corviknight to it and you get a Bug/Steel Pokémon with the stats 80/55/130/60/120/20. Sure, it isn't Dusclops (which is still an option), but it seems rather solid to me.

Cloyster is very good for Corsola-Galar (80/85/180/105/120/65 Ghost/Ice). Corsola-Galar is like the Dusclops of the Stage 1 Pokémon.

Last edited:
Polteageist gets access to not only Shell Smash, but also Stored Power and Strength Sap.
Although Grimmsnarl is only +140 BST, you can't argue with +30HP, +60Atk, +20Def/SpA/SpD, -10Spe. Or can you?
Alcremie gives +225 BST. That's +20/20/35/60/60/30. I see this as a high-tier evolution, stat-wise.
Greedent is rather good with adding bulk and physical attack, and reducing speed: +50/40/40/20/40/-5.
Polteageist: Strength Sap is already listed. Stored Power added.
Grimmsnarl, Alcremie, Greedent: Added. However, although Grimmsnarl's stat boosts look good on paper, you'll be hard pressed to find a viable 2nd stage prevo to take advantage of them, since this generation lacks bulky 2nd stages. As for Alcremie, I think I just overlooked it because of its tiny movepool and because I never noticed it got Recover. Greedent does add bulk and power while reducing Speed, but it falls behind other Pokemon this generation primarily because it lacks a good offensive ability. Where other Pokemon ended up with, say, Sheer Force, this thing got Cheek Pouch and Gluttony. Cool for potential Recycle shenanigans, but doesn't stand out too much otherwise.

Dottler may actually make a decent Stage 2 base, because of its rather reasonable 50/80/90 bulk. Add Corviknight to it and you get a Bug/Steel Pokémon with the stats 80/55/130/60/120/20. Sure, it isn't Dusclops (which is still an option), but it seems rather solid to me.
I was debating Dottler for a while when I initially made this list, and the fact that its typing was so poor was initially one of the reasons I left it out. Although it gets nifty tools like Sticky Web and Trick Room, I don't think that necessarily justifies putting it on a list of potentially viable prevos, especially since 3rd stage donors with good defensive boosts are so sparse. It has so few viable donors and is so passive that I didn't think it was worth mentioning, especially in a metagame that's becoming more offense-oriented. That said, it's one of the few Webs prevos this generation, so if you want to build Webs then this could have some potential.

Cloyster is very good for Corsola-Galar (80/85/180/105/120/65 Ghost/Ice). Corsola-Galar is like the Dusclops of the Stage 1 Pokémon.
I was planning to add a set compendium later when playtesting actually became possible, but while this might look good on paper, I'm afraid Ghost/Ice will hold it back too much. Strong bulky donors with recovery such as Avalugg (yes, that's still around), Milotic, and Toxapex will probably be better as donors unless you really want triple hazards.

One other big note that I'd like to point out is that with the generational shift and on average the lowering of average base stat totals, I think we should make Gen 8 Cross Evolution an OU-based metagame rather than an Uber based one. Given that the only three Pokemon currently in Uber are probably too much for this meta, I think this is a valid consideration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)