Custom 3D Animated Renders

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
Question 1: Why was three-segment Dudunsparce posted twice?
Question 2: Why are the animations played so slowly? I feel like mon such as Squawkabilly should be moving much faster than what's on display here.
Question 3: Why are the back views of Tinkatuff & Tinkaton facing the left instead of the right?

Question 1: Why was three-segment Dudunsparce posted twice?
A programming error, I had the threesegments twice in the json file
Question 2: Why are the animations played so slowly? I feel like mon such as Squawkabilly should be moving much faster than what's on display here.
imageMagick, I've been having a hard time calculating 60 or 30fps, so now use custom code to mass adjust the speed of all sprites.
Question 3: Why are the back views of Tinkatuff & Tinkaton facing the left instead of the right?
As these sprites are screenshots the pokedex preview doesn't fully show tinkatuff back, tinkaton back, dondozo back and miraidon back/front completely :(

Here the fixes

Pack Download

Already got stuff cooking behind the scenes for this too, just so you know.
View attachment 473388View attachment 473389View attachment 473390
(More later)

I wanted to get back into being directly involved with the renders of the new official Pokemon. So right now I'm working with Flicks and helping with QA and the overall rendering process to get as good and clean results as possible despite the texturing art style differing quite a bit to the 3DS style.

I'll want to keep this thread on track of us working on and showing the renders, as we soon start getting the ball rolling on this.
i NEED quaxly line fr

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
We are finally back in action! (Hopefully I still be around to make it to the end of the Gen 9 Pokemon this time...!)

All the Gen 9 renders presented by Flicks before has been re-rendered here with some clean-up on my end. On top of that, I've got a slightly revised Outline rendering technique that helps keeps the outlines from "doubling up" in thickness at non-straight angles nearly as often, so the renders in general will be more clean than the ones I've helped with for Gen 8.

Of course one thing to note is that the textures on the models were not built with the 3DS shading style in mind. Scarlet and Violet have much more grounded and realistic detail added to textures. There's no real way around this without redoing all of the textures for all of the Pokemon in Gen 9, and it's not really feasible with the time that we can dedicate to a project like this. However, with that being said, in my humble opinion, in most cases these textures don't appear to be much of a problem... at least so far, stylistically speaking. Personally I'm okay with rolling with these, but of course if you have thoughts on the texture detail on the models as we go on with future renders, let us know!

Sooooo starting off, we have our first wave! This is the obligatory Gen 9 Starter wave:

Sprigatito Line:
Sprigatito:
sprigatito.gif
sprigatito.gif
sprigatito.gif
sprigatito.gif

Floragato:
floragato.gif
floragato.gif
floragato.gif
floragato.gif

Meowscarada:
meowscarada.gif
meowscarada.gif
meowscarada.gif
meowscarada.gif

Fuecoco Line:
Fuecoco:
fuecoco.gif
fuecoco.gif
fuecoco.gif
fuecoco.gif

Crocalor:
crocalor.gif
crocalor.gif
crocalor.gif
crocalor.gif

Skeledirge:
skeledirge.gif
skeledirge.gif
skeledirge.gif
skeledirge.gif

Quaxly Line:
Quaxly:
quaxly.gif
quaxly.gif
quaxly.gif
quaxly.gif

Quaxwell:
quaxwell.gif
quaxwell.gif
quaxwell.gif
quaxwell.gif

Quaquaval:
quaquaval.gif
quaquaval.gif
quaquaval.gif
quaquaval.gif

--

PokemonRandomIcon.png

Bonus???:
Mewtwo (Scarlet and Violet Model):
Old:
mewtwo ani.gif
--> New:
mewtwo.gif

Old:
mewtwo ani-back.gif
--> New:
mewtwo.gif

Old:
mewtwo ani-shiny.gif
--> New:
mewtwo.gif

Old:
mewtwo ani-back-shiny.gif
--> New:
mewtwo.gif

So.... This isn't a new Pokemon, clearly. So then... why would I make a new render for an existing Pokemon?

Well, in Mewtwo's case, he's one of the lucky few returning Pokemon that has had a 100% complete overhaul on his 3D model. There is not a single thing similar about the 3D meshes between the 3DS/SwSh model to what this new one is. And for the better, I feel. This does start to veer into the realm of subjectivity, but behind the scenes, doing a new render for Mewtwo had pretty good reception, so I am curious how you guys feel about doing stuff like this for older Pokemon.

There are returning Pokemon in Scarlet and Violet that also got a similar 100% overhaul treatment treatment (Persian sticks out in my mind as a significantly improved model in Scarlet and Violet compared to the older games). But not only that, but many returning Pokemon have also received new battle idle animations. Now, some of the new ones are definitely a downgrade to what we previously had (and in this case, Hawlucha sticks out in my mind that got a way worse battle animation in-game | Edit: Actually, it turns out Hawlucha's battle animation was his old idle from previous games. The new Idle it got was for its non-battle ready idle, which is unlike most other returning Pokemon that got new battle idles while reusing their previous idles for the non-battle idle). But generally, some of these new animations do give some of the new Pokemon a different, sometimes more expressive animation in a battle setting.

There are some things I want to experiment with behind the scenes before fully committing to doing renders of some of these. Mainly, the big question is if these new animations can be seamlessly applied to the old 3DS models if their ScVl model is very similar? Probably yes, but it's something to be tested later.

There you have it! More waves to come later. Don't expect a super rapid pace of waves like last time, but we will be making more progress in the coming months.

Last edited:
We are finally back in action! (Hopefully I still be around to make it to the end of the Gen 9 Pokemon this time...!)

All the Gen 9 renders presented by Flicks before has been re-rendered here with some clean-up on my end. On top of that, I've got a slightly revised Outline rendering technique that helps keeps the outlines from "doubling up" in thickness at non-straight angles nearly as often, so the renders in general will be more clean than the ones I've helped with for Gen 8.

Of course one thing to note is that the textures on the models were not built with the 3DS shading style in mind. Scarlet and Violet have much more grounded and realistic detail added to textures. There's no real way around this without redoing all of the textures for all of the Pokemon in Gen 9, and it's not really feasible with the time that we can dedicate to a project like this. However, with that being said, in my humble opinion, in most cases these textures don't appear to be much of a problem... at least so far, stylistically speaking. Personally I'm okay with rolling with these, but of course if you have thoughts on the texture detail on the models as we go on with future renders, let us know!

Sooooo starting off, we have our first wave! This is the obligatory Gen 9 Starter wave:

Sprigatito Line:

Fuecoco Line:

Quaxly Line:

--

View attachment 476980
Bonus???:
Old: View attachment 476981--> New: View attachment 476985
Old: View attachment 476982 --> New: View attachment 476986
Old: View attachment 476983 --> New: View attachment 476987
Old: View attachment 476984 --> New: View attachment 476988

So.... This isn't a new Pokemon, clearly. So then... why would I make a new render for an existing Pokemon?

Well, in Mewtwo's case, he's one of the lucky few returning Pokemon that has had a 100% complete overhaul on his 3D model. There is not a single thing similar about the 3D meshes between the 3DS/SwSh model to what this new one is. And for the better, I feel. This does start to veer into the realm of subjectivity, but behind the scenes, doing a new render for Mewtwo had pretty good reception, so I am curious how you guys feel about doing stuff like this for older Pokemon.

There are returning Pokemon in Scarlet and Violet that also got a similar 100% overhaul treatment treatment (Persian sticks out in my mind as a significantly improved model in Scarlet and Violet compared to the older games). But not only that, but many returning Pokemon have also received new battle idle animations. Now, some of the new ones are definitely a downgrade to what we previously had (and in this case, Hawlucha sticks out in my mind that got a way worse battle animation in-game | Edit: Actually, it turns out Hawlucha's battle animation was his old idle from previous games. The new Idle it got was for its non-battle ready idle, which is unlike most other returning Pokemon that got new battle idles while reusing their previous idles for the non-battle idle). But generally, some of these new animations do give some of the new Pokemon a different, sometimes more expressive animation in a battle setting.

There are some things I want to experiment with behind the scenes before fully committing to doing renders of some of these. Mainly, the big question is if these new animations can be seamlessly applied to the old 3DS models if their ScVl model is very similar? Probably yes, but it's something to be tested later.

There you have it! More waves to come later. Don't expect a super rapid pace of waves like last time, but we will be making more progress in the coming months.
Too good job, the sprites are framed almost perfectly. I really like it, keep it up and good luck in those that are missing!

Sprigatito Line:

Fuecoco Line:

Quaxly Line:

--

View attachment 476980
Bonus???:

Great Start to Gen 9! Just asking if we are going to cover what is missing of Gen 8. I know you posted a small update back then with stonjourner to dragapult, but those are bundled together and unseparable with duraludon missing. Then we skipped the legendaries and dlc pokemon with only scattered legends: arceus pokemon posted, but also not complete. I am only wondering if they will be covered at all.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Great Start to Gen 9! Just asking if we are going to cover what is missing of Gen 8. I know you posted a small update back then with stonjourner to dragapult, but those are bundled together and unseparable with duraludon missing. Then we skipped the legendaries and dlc pokemon with only scattered legends: arceus pokemon posted, but also not complete. I am only wondering if they will be covered at all.
It may be worth going back to truly complete where I left off at some point. All of the work for the renders after my waves were halted was done by Flicks I believe. Gen 9 is the priority right now, but we'll see how much time I have once that's all done. Free time isn't much of a luxury for me these days.

Zappy-N

Banned deucer.

Sprigatito Line:

Fuecoco Line:

Quaxly Line:

--

View attachment 476980
Bonus???:

looks great so far! glad that you did the battle animations instead of just ripping the idles from the menu like some people

and yeah i'd love to see the rest of gen 8 finished, can't wait to see more

looks great so far! glad that you did the battle animations instead of just ripping the idles from the menu like some people

and yeah i'd love to see the rest of gen 8 finished, can't wait to see more
I did it like this because it is what else I can do right now and it is with the intention of helping, that they are for temporary use, and you?

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Tired of only Gen 9 Starters having renders? Well no problem, because Wave 2 is here!

Lechonk Line:
Lechonk
lechonk.gif
lechonk.gif
lechonk.gif
lechonk.gif

Oinkologne-M
oinkologne.gif
oinkologne.gif
oinkologne.gif
oinkologne.gif

Oinkologne-F
oinkologne-f.gif
oinkologne-f.gif
oinkologne-f.gif
oinkologne-f.gif

Dudunsparce:
Dudunsparce 2-Segment
dudunsparce.gif
dudunsparce.gif
dudunsparce.gif
dudunsparce.gif

Dudunsparce 3-Segment
dudunsparce-threesegment.gif
Why Dudunsparce now? Well, for the sake of keeping things more organized on my end, I'm strictly going in the order of the Pokemon in the internal files. And for whatever reason, Dudunsparce was placed right after the Lechonk line internally. I don't know why, but here we are.

Tarountula Line:
Tarountula
tarountula.gif
tarountula.gif
tarountula.gif
tarountula.gif

Spidops
spidops.gif
spidops.gif
spidops.gif
spidops.gif

Nymble Line:
Nymble
nymble.gif
nymble.gif
nymble.gif
nymble.gif

Lokix
lokix.gif
lokix.gif
lokix.gif
lokix.gif

Rellor Line:
Rellor
rellor.gif
rellor.gif
rellor.gif
rellor.gif

(I can't believe this thing was the first Pokemon I used an actual implementation of a metallic shader and compositing setup. Good lord.)

Rabsca
rabsca uncompressed.gif
rabsca uncompressed.gif
rabsca uncompressed.gif
rabsca uncompressed.gif

(Don't even get me started with this thing too. I hate it's overly saturated magenta goop, which makes it look like a NULL texture error. But mainly, I hated working on this thing because it was a pain to properly composite it with its inner ball nucleus thing, and its animation length is stupidly long, ending up at a whopping 240 total frames in the final GIF. Don't be surprised if the Showdown implementation of this heavily optimizes this one, because what you're seeing here is the uncompressed version)

--

Bonus???:
Eeveelutions Renders with their new Scarlet and Violet Battle Animations Idles!:

Vaporeon
Old:
vaporeon.gif
--> New:
vaporeon.gif

Old:
vaporeon-back.gif
--> New:
vaporeon.gif

Old:
vaporeon-shiny.gif
--> New:
vaporeon.gif

Old:
vaporeon-back-shiny.gif
--> New:
vaporeon.gif

Espeon
Old:
espeon.gif
--> New:
espeon.gif

Old:
espeon-back.gif
--> New:
espeon.gif

Old:
espeon-shiny.gif
--> New:
espeon.gif

Old:
espeon-back-shiny.gif
--> New:
espeon.gif

Umbreon
Old:
umbreon.gif
--> New:
umbreon.gif

Old:
umbreon-back.gif
--> New:
umbreon.gif

Old:
umbreon-shiny.gif
--> New:
umbreon.gif

Old:
umbreon-back-shiny.gif
--> New:
umbreon.gif

(Fun Fact, the old Umbreon gifs for the past 6-7 years are my renders from way back in the day, too, which used my older rendering techniques. And it technically was my own animation work... but admitedly, not very impressive animation to my own standards today. Regardless, it has a new official animation from Scarlet and Violet that can be applied over the old one!)

Leafeon
Old:
leafeon.gif
--> New:
leafeon.gif

Old:
leafeon-back.gif
--> New:
leafeon.gif

Old:
leafeon-shiny.gif
--> New:
leafeon.gif

Old:
leafeon-back-shiny.gif
--> New:
leafeon.gif

Glaceon
Old:
glaceon.gif
--> New:
glaceon.gif

Old:
glaceon-back.gif
--> New:
glaceon.gif

Old:
glaceon-shiny.gif
--> New:
glaceon.gif

Old:
glaceon-back-shiny.gif
--> New:
glaceon.gif

Eevee, Jolteon, Flareon, and Sylveon, as far as I can tell, do not have a new Battle Idle animation in Scarlet and Violet to use. Instead, they received new Non-Battle Idles, since their idles previously fit well enough as battle idles already, which I'm inclined to agree with (Sylveon maybe being a slight outlier, but also having its idle pose being more majestic than aggressive probably makes sense for the type of Pokemon it is anyway).

Some of these new animations are a lot more obviously different than others. Leafeon and Espeon being quite different especially (Leafeon's turned out quite well too I think. Shut up I'm not biased >:( ). While Glaceon is mostly just a subtle different battle pose, but still different nonetheless.

If there are any other Pokemon you guys have noticed had new battle animations that may be worth putting time into rendering out, let me know!

Anywho, that's not all!:

Corviknight
Old:
corviknight.gif
--> New:
corviknight.gif

Old:
corviknight.gif
--> New:
corviknight.gif

Old:
corviknight.gif
--> New:
corviknight.gif

Old:
corviknight.gif
--> New:
corviknight.gif

Not only has my rendering techniques been polished up a bit since last time I rendered a SwSh Pokemon out in this style, but also I now have a proper metalic shader and compositing setup! I didn't want the only metallic rendering result be of a ficken dung beetle Pokemon of all things, so I went back and re-rendered my Corviknight render with all the new features and improvements implemented! Corviknights animation playback speed has also been appropriately sped up to be more closer to how fast it is in-game.

Oh also yeah, that's right. Still not done:

Persian
Old:
persian.gif
--> New:
persian.gif

Old:
persian-back.gif
--> New:
persian.gif

Old:
persian-shiny.gif
--> New:
persian.gif

Old:
persian-back-shiny.gif
--> New:
persian.gif

To my surprise, Persian got a completely overhauled model in Scarlet and Violet. It's completely new.

I have always thought the 3DS Persian model was complete garbage. The proportions felt completely off to me, with it's mismatched head-size and lack of any kind of neck, it's limbs being overly buff, etc etc. The new model remedies all of this, and I'm extremely happy about that. So, similar to Mewtwo, I went ahead and rendered out an old Pokemon using its new Scarlet and Violet model, with its new textures and animations all.

Tired of only Gen 9 Starters having renders? Well no problem, because Wave 2 is here!

Lechonk Line:

Dudunsparce:
Why Dudunsparce now? Well, for the sake of keeping things more organized on my end, I'm strictly going in the order of the Pokemon in the internal files. And for whatever reason, Dudunsparce was placed right after the Lechonk line internally. I don't know why, but here we are.

Tarountula Line:

Nymble Line:

Rellor Line:
Rellor
View attachment 480477 View attachment 480478 View attachment 480480 View attachment 480481
(I can't believe this thing was the first Pokemon I used an actual implementation of a metallic shader and compositing setup. Good lord.)

Rabsca
View attachment 480485 View attachment 480486 View attachment 480488 View attachment 480490
(Don't even get me started with this thing too. I hate it's overly saturated magenta goop, which makes it look like a NULL texture error. But mainly, I hated working on this thing because it was a pain to properly composite it with its inner ball nucleus thing, and its animation length is stupidly long, ending up at a whopping 240 total frames in the final GIF. Don't be surprised if the Showdown implementation of this heavily optimizes this one, because what you're seeing here is the uncompressed version)

--

Bonus???:
Eeveelutions Renders with their new Scarlet and Violet Battle Animations Idles!:

Vaporeon
Old: View attachment 480506 --> New: View attachment 480495
Old: View attachment 480507 --> New: View attachment 480496
Old: View attachment 480508 --> New: View attachment 480497
Old: View attachment 480509 --> New: View attachment 480498

Espeon
Old: View attachment 480511 --> New: View attachment 480499
Old: View attachment 480512 --> New: View attachment 480500
Old: View attachment 480513 --> New: View attachment 480501
Old: View attachment 480514 --> New: View attachment 480502

Umbreon
Old: View attachment 480515 --> New: View attachment 480527
Old: View attachment 480516 --> New: View attachment 480528
Old: View attachment 480518 --> New: View attachment 480529
Old: View attachment 480517 --> New:View attachment 480530
(Fun Fact, the old Umbreon gifs for the past 6-7 years are my renders from way back in the day, too, which used my older rendering techniques. And it technically was my own animation work... but admitedly, not very impressive animation to my own standards today. Regardless, it has a new official animation from Scarlet and Violet that can be applied over the old one!)

Leafeon
Old: View attachment 480519 --> New: View attachment 480531
Old: View attachment 480520 --> New: View attachment 480532
Old: View attachment 480521 --> New: View attachment 480534
Old: View attachment 480522 --> New:View attachment 480533

Glaceon
Old: View attachment 480523 --> New: View attachment 480535
Old: View attachment 480524 --> New: View attachment 480536
Old: View attachment 480525 --> New: View attachment 480537
Old: View attachment 480526 --> New: View attachment 480538

Eevee, Jolteon, Flareon, and Sylveon, as far as I can tell, do not have a new Battle Idle animation in Scarlet and Violet to use. Instead, they received new Non-Battle Idles, since their idles previously fit well enough as battle idles already, which I'm inclined to agree with (Sylveon maybe being a slight outlier, but also having its idle pose being more majestic than aggressive probably makes sense for the type of Pokemon it is anyway).

Some of these new animations are a lot more obviously different than others. Leafeon and Espeon being quite different especially (Leafeon's turned out quite well too I think. Shut up I'm not biased >:( ). While Glaceon is mostly just a subtle different battle pose, but still different nonetheless.

If there are any other Pokemon you guys have noticed had new battle animations that may be worth putting time into rendering out, let me know!

Anywho, that's not all!:

Corviknight
Old: View attachment 480545 --> New: View attachment 480541
Old: View attachment 480546 --> New: View attachment 480542
Old: View attachment 480547 --> New: View attachment 480543
Old: View attachment 480548 --> New: View attachment 480544

Not only has my rendering techniques been polished up a bit since last time I rendered a SwSh Pokemon out in this style, but also I now have a proper metalic shader and compositing setup! I didn't want the only metallic rendering result be of a ficken dung beetle Pokemon of all things, so I went back and re-rendered my Corviknight render with all the new features and improvements implemented! Corviknights animation playback speed has also been appropriately sped up to be more closer to how fast it is in-game.

Oh also yeah, that's right. Still not done:

Persian
Old: View attachment 480553 --> New: View attachment 480549
Old: View attachment 480554 --> New: View attachment 480550
Old: View attachment 480555 --> New: View attachment 480551
Old: View attachment 480557 --> New: View attachment 480552

To my surprise, Persian got a completely overhauled model in Scarlet and Violet. It's completely new.

I have always thought the 3DS Persian model was complete garbage. The proportions felt completely off to me, with it's mismatched head-size and lack of any kind of neck, it's limbs being overly buff, etc etc. The new model remedies all of this, and I'm extremely happy about that. So, similar to Mewtwo, I went ahead and rendered out an old Pokemon using its new Scarlet and Violet model, with its new textures and animations all.
Very good work, thanks for all the effort the sprites are very well polished and I really liked the new poses of the eeveelutions!

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
aight, stepping in here. I'm going to be deleting any unnecessary posts here, as this thread is meant to focus on rendering models to mimic the 3DS style, not make jabs, demands, etc. Please be productive and stay on theme with the purpose of thread when making posts here, guys. Much appreciated

......Hey.

It has been a bit since DJTHED took over the Gen 9 renders. Doesn't mean I'm not doing anything, because I have some INTERESTING(maybe) things that I've been doing, which I had started a while ago but decided to restart now, and see it through the end.

BECAUSE HISUI MONS

I'll be doing these in waves, and that makes this wave 1. DJTHED's been an incredible help over on the Discord, helping me with the camera angles, shading, and things I generally barely knew how to do properly.

These are in a random order starting with some of my Favorite Pokémon.
1673562334221.png
1673562343884.png

Zorua
zorua-hisui.gif
zorua-hisui.gif
zorua-hisui.gif
zorua-hisui.gif

Zoroark
zoroark-hisui.gif
zoroark-hisui.gif
zoroark-hisui.gif
1673562502654.png
1673562508006.png

Basculegion Male
basculegion-m.gif
basculegion-m.gif
basculegion-m.gif
basculegion-m.gif

Basculegion Female
basculegion-f.gif
basculegion-f.gif
basculegion-f.gif
basculegion-f.gif
1673562899074.png

typhlosion-hisui.gif
typhlosion-hisui.gif
typhlosion-hisui.gif
typhlosion-hisui.gif
1673563036611.png

decidueye-hisui.gif
decidueye-hisui.gif
decidueye-hisui.gif
decidueye-hisui.gif
1673563114119.png

samurott-hisui.gif
samurott-hisui.gif
samurott-hisui.gif
samurott-hisui.gif

Wave 2 will come after a short break, and I've pre-decided the lineup this time.

Hisuian Sneasel and Sneasler; Hisuian Quilfish and Overquil; Hisuian Growlithe and Arcanine; Hisuian Sligoo and Goodra: This is the lineup for Wave 2 and Wave 3 SHOULD complete the set, but if not there'll be a Wave 4.

Phew.

Attachments

Last edited:
......Hey.

It has been a bit since DJTHED took over the Gen 9 renders. Doesn't mean I'm not doing anything, because I have some INTERESTING(maybe) things that I've been doing, which I had started a while ago but decided to restart now, and see it through the end.

BECAUSE HISUI MONS

I'll be doing these in waves, and that makes this wave 1. DJTHED's been an incredible help over on the Discord, helping me with the camera angles, shading, and things I generally barely knew how to do properly.

These are in a random order starting with some of my Favorite Pokémon.
View attachment 483432View attachment 483433
View attachment 483443View attachment 483444
View attachment 483449
View attachment 483458
View attachment 483464
View attachment 483469
Now you may be confused, why are there only two renders? COVID. A family member got COVID and is quarantining in my room, with my pc. So I'm rendering this on my laptop, and it's not strong enough to render them quickly. So once I get all the renders, I'll update the post with the rest of them and delete this message. Again DJTHED coming in clutch with figuring out how the fire-thing on its head works.

Wave 2 will come after a short break, and I've pre-decided the lineup this time.

Hisuian Sneasel and Sneasler; Hisuian Quilfish and Overquil; Hisuian Growlithe and Arcanine; Hisuian Sligoo and Goodra: This is the lineup for Wave 2 and Wave 3 SHOULD complete the set, but if not there'll be a Wave 4.

Phew.
Loving these renders with the new animations on them, keep up the good work. Sorry to hear about one of your family members getting COVID hopefully they'll recover soon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)