Dancing Tyranitars: DD M-Tar-based RMT

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Dancing Tyranitars: DD M-Tar-based RMT

Hello there! Thanks for reading my 2nd RMT! ^_^

The team is mostly about a mid to late-game Tyranitar Sweep, preferably after all of his checks are gone. The members of the team are picked specifically for their skills in taking out Tyranitar's checks while also having offensive synergy as a whole. All of them are more than capable of taking out anyone that dare stand in their way; there are times that TTar didn't even touch the field! For the most part, Talonflame and Latias take out Fighting-Types that may stop Tyranitar while Landorus-T, Aegislash, and Kyurem-B soften up the enemy. Now, without further ado, here's the team!

...or maybe after show you the Teambuilding process.

I started off with my main man, DD M-Tar! I read in the OU Teambuilding thread that it makes a good win condition. The problem I see is that it has some big weaknesses; it's pawned by most Fighting-Types! In order to remedy that, I enlisted...

Talonflame! Talonflame here is my best answer to Fighting-Types like Conkeldurr. I gave it a Choice Band for more killing power with the priority Brave Bird; Talonflame's too frail to be setting up for the most part. He's also a good scouting lead. The problem here is it's extremely weak to Stealth Rock, so I called out...

Latias! This is the same Latias from my last RMT, so I was used to it. Defog prevents hazards from screwing up the team (mostly Talonflame). It's not one to be messed with however, as it also packs a punch. Now, we needed our own hazards to make use of, so I hired...

Landorus-T! Coming also from my last RMT, Landog is mainly here for Stealth Rock and Intimidate. Now, I needed someone who can damage enemies enough for cleaning, so I brought out...

Aegislash! This is my first time using 'Slash, but boy does it deliver. Shadow Balls hurt, and when followed up by a Shadow Sneak, it will kill. 'Slash can also play some games with the enemy using King's Shiled. Now, I wanted someone that can wallbreak well, so I took...

Keldeo! The Sub+3 Attacks set softens and kills a lot of pokemon, enough for my other pokemon to take over. Also a good answer to status users because "HEY IS DAT A SUB???"

Unfortunately, Keldeo sucked. He just had to be walled by an Azumarill, no less. I called back an old friend of mine, Kyurem-B, to take his Sub duties.

Thanks for reading that if you did. Now on to the team!
PS: if you know the nicknaming theme, have a cookie.

Mean (Tyranitar-Mega) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Meet Dragon Dance Mega-Tyranitar, one of the strongest and bulkiest megas around. The main sweeper of the team, Tyranitar is usually brought in mid-late game to wreak havoc. This thing has bulk up the wazoo; it can set up on almost everything. After a DD, it has enough speed to outrun positive base 110s and at the same time a very dangerous Attack stat. A good ability in Sand Stream boosts its special bulk, allowing for more DDs while at the same time taking out enemy weather. All the moves are standard; Dragon Dance for boosting, Earthquake and Stone Edge forms the EdgeQuake combination, and Ice Punch hits Dragon-Types and Gliscor. EVs and nature are there for getting the most of a DD. All in all, pretty standard.

Ronan (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-o-Wisp

One reason is why it's here, but boy does it do well: it checks Fighting-Types that may come in on Tyranitar using its very sexy priority Choice Band-boosted Brave Bird. With Gale Wings, Talonflame becomes a premier revenge killer since it makes it so that all Flying-moves have priority. The EVs and Nature are spread out in a way that it has full attacking power. Moves are pretty standard for a Choice Band set, with Brave Bird as the main move and revenge killing tool, Flare Blitz for another STAB, U-Turn for maintaining momentum, and Will-o-Wisp for the utility surprise burn.

Red (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish
- Defog​

Latias is here to serve as the team's hazard remover. Using Defog, it can all remove hazards, screens, and whatnot from the field. This means that Talonflame won't get screwed by SR, and everyone else won't take damage. This offensive Defog set pressures opponents, since anyone other than Bisharp attempting to check Latias to stop Defog will get a Draco Meteor to the face. She's also my "bomb things and watch the die" mon with its Life Orb-boosted Draco Meteors. Latias is mostly unaffected by most of the hazards she removes, a trait she shares with Skarmory. What sets Laitas apart from Skarmory is that it doesn't risk losing a lot of momentum. Draco Meteor is pretty much obvious, while Thunderbolt is for coverage and Manaphy, a mon that if left unchecked will screw this team apart. The surprise for the enemy here is Healing Wish; with it, I can have essentially a seventh mon. EVs and item are for killing power.

Speak Now (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

SR setter Landorus-T. Its main goal here is to set Stealth Rock, then kill things with STAB Earthquake. My all-around utility mon, Earth Plate give it some much power in Earthquake. Its ability Intimidate softens up the blows of physical attackers, most notably Fighting-Types, making them much more manageable. Knock Off provides answers to walls and tanks, making them lose their precious Leftovers/Eviolite. U-Turn maintains momentum as a -1 physical attacker is more likely to switch out. The EVs and nature are there to provide high killing power while outspeeding the Adamant Gyarados range.

Change (Aegislash) (M) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- King's Shield

This guy's job is to ruin the psyche of the opponent; when you make a wrong prediction, you will pay. More accurately, it switches into things that can't hit it, then Shadow Ball them or the enemy switch-in into oblivion. If it doesn't kill, Shadow Sneak will. In a sense, the strategy is to force switches, then dent that switch in. The switching racks up SR damage, which further quickens the softening. The item, Spooky Plate, powers Shadow Ball to more frightening levels. Shadow Ball is there to dent the enemy big time, while Shadow Sneak gives it priority for follow-ups and cleaning. Iron Head is there to take out Fairies. King's Shield provides protection against attacks and sends Aegislash back to Shield Form, while also punishing physical attackers with -Atk if they dare attack. The nature is there so it can beat enemy Aegislash 1v1, and while the EVs may look funny, they just pump up Shadow Ball to the point that an uninvested Shadow Sneak will kill.

Story of Us (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 SAtk / 236 Spd
Rash Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Sub+3 Attacks Kyu-B here takes out walls. M-Venusaur. Gliscor. Skarmory. Quagsire. Take your pick. The mad offensive stats partnered with 125/100/90 bulk allow Kyu-B to massacre teams with much resistance. Though Ice is a bad defensive type, a Substitute patches this up somewhat. Behind a sub, it can usually take out mons one never thought it can such as Garchomp, Latios, and co. The EVs give Cube 404 HP while maintaining good Speed and offensive capability, while Leftovers let him stay on the field longer. The moves are standard; Sub protects Cube from status, Fusion Bolt for killing physically, Ice Beam for STAB, and Earth Power for coverage.

Now there you have it. Feel free to rate this team, suggest, or whatnot. Thanks for reading Dancing Tyranitars: DD M-Tar-based RMT! ^_^

PS: It'd be nice if you keep the nicks if using this team, thanks.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
^Mostly aesthetics, but for some reason PS! doesn't care about that.

Thoughts on the team as a whole? Anyone?

Hey Memoric, got the request to do this RMT so here I am. Let me just start by saying the TTar / Lando T / Keldeo core is sexy af and tbh I might use this team for more than just team testing lol. The team as a whole looks really nice and put together but it has a HUGE problem with Manaphy. Nothing can safely swap in on anything Manaphy is packing. For this reason I suggest changing Keldeo to Assault Vest Azumarill. You keep water STAB's gain a Pokemon with solid typing, revenge kill ability, a secondary check to Mega Charizard (X and Y), and you keep the strong fighting type move. The move set is the same as the standard Choice Banded set and will be placed at the end of the RMT.

Using that type of Latias, you are going for more of an offensive Defogger so Healing Wish doesn't really fit in there. You are aiming to do damage and stay alive to defog. Try running Recover over Healing Wish on Latias to increase your longevity and keep you in the fight long enough to kill threats or simply Defog away hazards. You also lack a decent check to an opposing Azumarill. Thunderbolt over Psyshock would be my suggestion for yet another check to Manaphy, but this one includes checks to Mega Pinsir, Azumarill, and Mandibuzz as well. Usually Psyshock is ran solely for things like Mega Venusaur or Conkeldurr, but in your case you have a Talonflame so neither of those are particularly a problem.

Other than those changes there wasn't really needing to be fixed or altered. The team was solid before and will be solid afterwards, just more so :P. Good luck in the future with the team and don't be afraid to ask for some more help if you need it.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Hey this is a cool team. I even put it in showdown to get a feel for where it stands. One thing I noticed is that Keldeo is supposed to be a wallbreaker, but his unboosted attacks are failing to do enough damage. I also noticed that it is pretty difficult for your team to break Clefable. A change that could help with both of these issues is to put Choice Specs on Keldeo. Choice Specs Keldeo is a really good mon in this metagame. It finds many opportunities to switch in and spam strong STAB water attacks and is good at breaking down walls such as Rotom-w and Venusaur. I'd run specs with Surf or Scald / Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / HP Flying. HP flying catches Venusaur (and toxicroak hahah). The loss of Icy Wind isn't too detrimental as it mainly hits dragons who take plenty from your STAB. The exceptions are the Latis, but you have two solid switchins to them, and they provide a mon to set up for Tyranitar most of the time anyway. Specs Hydro Pump hits Clefable pretty hard, and for whatever reason they are often switching in.

Couple of minor changes next. I can't think of any situation where Steel Wing will be used on Talonflame. The 4th move isn't used much anyway, but Roost has some utility as you can roost on a forced switch giving Talonflame a new life. I would also keep Healing Wish on Latias as that's one of its main perks over Latios. You can give Tyranitar another chance at a sweep or just restore an important check to the opponent's team. If you yourself ever find Clefable to be a problem, you could run Iron Head on Aegislash over Shadow Sneak. You could also run Earth Plate over Leftovers on Landorus to 2hko max def Clefable which can't 2HKO back usually. Earth Plate has added benefits such as bluffing a choice item. But yeah cool team and good luck homie.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
I'm gonna address these everyone's points, so here I go.
Hey Memoric, got the request to do this RMT so here I am. Let me just start by saying the TTar / Lando T / Keldeo core is sexy af and tbh I might use this team for more than just team testing lol. The team as a whole looks really nice and put together but it has a HUGE problem with Manaphy. Nothing can safely swap in on anything Manaphy is packing. For this reason I suggest changing Keldeo to Assault Vest Azumarill. You keep water STAB's gain a Pokemon with solid typing, revenge kill ability, a secondary check to Mega Charizard (X and Y), and you keep the strong fighting type move. The move set is the same as the standard Choice Banded set and will be placed at the end of the RMT.
After a few runs with AssVest Azu, I have to say that Burns are hurting the team more than it should. No one in this team really wants a burn except Latias, but when paired with LO recoil it will go down. Aegislash can also take a burn, to an extent, since he is mixed. Fact is, if I get Azu, I'll end up with 4 Physical Attackers, 1 Mixed, and 1 Special, so this team can be walled some by a well played Skarmory. I admit, Keldeo is underperforming, but Azu won't work for me, sorry. I have found a good replacement for Keldeo, though.

Using that type of Latias, you are going for more of an offensive Defogger so Healing Wish doesn't really fit in there. You are aiming to do damage and stay alive to defog. Try running Recover over Healing Wish on Latias to increase your longevity and keep you in the fight long enough to kill threats or simply Defog away hazards. You also lack a decent check to an opposing Azumarill. Thunderbolt over Psyshock would be my suggestion for yet another check to Manaphy, but this one includes checks to Mega Pinsir, Azumarill, and Mandibuzz as well. Usually Psyshock is ran solely for things like Mega Venusaur or Conkeldurr, but in your case you have a Talonflame so neither of those are particularly a problem.
The reason I'm using Latias over Latios is Healing Wish. In most of my games, Healing Wish proves itself to be a viable move. Talonflame can't clean because of low HP? Healing Wish. Tyranitar used a bit early to check a threat/counter-weather? Healing Wish. A check to the enemy team going low on health? Healing Wish. If I were to not use Healing Wish, Latios should be here instead; but, it warrants enough use for it to go over Recover. Latias is a team-supporter first, and an offensive weapon second.

Thunderbolt, on the other hand, does have its uses. She checks a lot with it, I can say that, but she needs Psyshock for M-Venu and Conkeldurr; Talonflame can't handle them alone, with his SR weakness and all. I did manage to find an Electric-Move on somewhere, I'll get to it later.

Other than those changes there wasn't really needing to be fixed or altered. The team was solid before and will be solid afterwards, just more so :P. Good luck in the future with the team and don't be afraid to ask for some more help if you need it.
Thanks bro ^_^ A bit, you did open up a threat in Manaphy. Keldeo's performance isn't helping the team, so after some testing, I called an old friend of mine, Sub+3 Attacks Kyurem-B. He has Fusion Bolt for Manaphy, Ice Beam for M-Venu, Earth Power for Heatran (updated the op about this).

Anything I missed with this change? Just let me know :D
Hey this is a cool team. I even put it in showdown to get a feel for where it stands. One thing I noticed is that Keldeo is supposed to be a wallbreaker, but his unboosted attacks are failing to do enough damage. I also noticed that it is pretty difficult for your team to break Clefable. A change that could help with both of these issues is to put Choice Specs on Keldeo. Choice Specs Keldeo is a really good mon in this metagame. It finds many opportunities to switch in and spam strong STAB water attacks and is good at breaking down walls such as Rotom-w and Venusaur. I'd run specs with Surf or Scald / Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / HP Flying. HP flying catches Venusaur (and toxicroak hahah). The loss of Icy Wind isn't too detrimental as it mainly hits dragons who take plenty from your STAB. The exceptions are the Latis, but you have two solid switchins to them, and they provide a mon to set up for Tyranitar most of the time anyway. Specs Hydro Pump hits Clefable pretty hard, and for whatever reason they are often switching in.
Thanks ^_^ Yeah, Keldeo's set is just bad, I can say that. However, putting a Choice Specs on him won't work out in practice, since one of the key members of the team, Talonflame, already has a Band. It's a bit good on Talonflame, since it's mainly revenge-killing with Brave Bird. However, Specs Keldeo doesn't have that blazing speed nor reliable nuke move (Brave Bird>Hydro Miss) Talonflame has to kill things. Anyway, I have replaced him with a more reliable wallbreaker in Kyu-B.

Clefeble, and other Fairies for the matter at hand, can be a problem. However, this is one reason I have Steel Wing on Talonflame. It 2HKOs Clefable and Sylveon :O

Couple of minor changes next. I can't think of any situation where Steel Wing will be used on Talonflame. The 4th move isn't used much anyway, but Roost has some utility as you can roost on a forced switch giving Talonflame a new life. I would also keep Healing Wish on Latias as that's one of its main perks over Latios. You can give Tyranitar another chance at a sweep or just restore an important check to the opponent's team. If you yourself ever find Clefable to be a problem, you could run Iron Head on Aegislash over Shadow Sneak. You could also run Earth Plate over Leftovers on Landorus to 2hko max def Clefable which can't 2HKO back usually. Earth Plate has added benefits such as bluffing a choice item. But yeah cool team and good luck homie.
I already had my shot on Steel Wing above. Roost does seem attractive, but that would be giving away some momentum. Still, an option :D

I am not going to replace Shadow Sneak on Aegislash. Shadow Ball hits hard, but usually not enough to KO. However, if paired with a Shadow Sneak, it will usually result in a kill. I have punched a lot of holes using this strategy, usually killing some Genesect and Charizard (X/Y).

I like Earth Plate, though, might give it a try.
Edit: Earth Plate is now official. Thanks for the suggestion ^_^

Last edited:
Hey man! Weavile breaks your team except Aegislash's KS. I suggest running WoW on Talonflame. I know this increases your trouble against fairies and weavile isn't so common, so Steel wing seems preferrable, but here's the set anyway:
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

and Choice Scarf Excadrill w/ Iron Head and Rapid spin to make up for Steel wing?

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 322-380 (79.5 - 93.8%)
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 452-536 (132.5 - 157.1%)
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Spooky Plate Aegislash: 276-328 (85.1 - 101.2%)
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Punch vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Intimidate Landorus-Therian: 660-780 (195.8 - 231.4%)
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Life Orb Latias: 424-502 (140.8 - 166.7%)
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Choice Band Talonflame: 259-305 (83.8 - 98.7%)

Currently, ways you could counter it are:
  • Kyurem if you already have a sub
  • BB Talon
  • KS Aegislash

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Hey man! Weavile breaks your team except Aegislash's KS. I suggest running WoW on Talonflame. Although this increases your trouble against fairies.. I guess it's a matter of choosing your poison.. for now. Weavile isn't so common, so Steel wing seems preferrable, but here's the set anyway:

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

and Choice Scarf Excadrill w/ Iron Head and Rapid spin
Yeah, I can see that thing playing tricks on me, but in my time with this team, I haven't encountered a single one. That set can work, and will be considered.

What do you mean with the last line? If you're saying it's a threat, well there's Landog for it.

Yeah, I can see that thing playing tricks on me, but in my time with this team, I haven't encountered a single one. That set can work, and will be considered.

What do you mean with the last line? If you're saying it's a threat, well there's Landog for it.
I meant that if you choose to replace your Talonflame set, you could also switch Excadrill for Latias. But would bring in a lot of weaknesses as well. So I'm not sure about that. Good luck with this team!

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
I meant that if you choose to replace your Talonflame set, you could also switch Excadrill for Latias. But would bring in a lot of weaknesses as well. So I'm not sure about that. Good luck with this team!
I'm not too keen with this idea. Doing so, I'll get three ugly weaknesses to Ground. One of my immunities is like one of the frailest things ever (Tflame), which leads us to Landog. I just can't get a little bit reliant on Landog on this one. Also, I will get 3 weaknesses to Water and Fighting (which Latias handles, Ttar = Win Condition). Add in that Latias is also my fastest non-priority user, so ._.

Also, Rapid Spin is not the prettiest move to get locked into but eh.

Hey there Memoric,
I just read your message and judging by the base of your team there are a couple of suggestions:

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Defog
  • Thunderbolt: To check Manaphy because I've been seeing a lot of them being used, plus to deal with those pesky Skarms/Talonflames.
  • Recover: To extend the longevity of Latias, if hazards are still up, and all that HP investment should do wonders with Life orb.
  • Max Hp just for bulkiness, I don't see latias staying on a lot of things, when you have all those other threats.
  • If you don't like that Ev spread there's also this: EVs: 252 SAtk / 76 HP / 4 SDef / 176 Spd to have a faster Latias and still maintain a little of that bulk.

This is the only thing I can honestly rate because you team composition is really good. I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
I can definitely agree with the above, that TBolt over Psyshock on Latias is one of your best things to use. It covers Manaphy, which is a HUGE threat to this team, Mega Pinser who can single handedly mow down 75% of the team, Talonflame, and Skarmory. I'm crossroaded with Healing Wish and Recover. Healing Wish is the inferior move, as the move is only to be used late game. Recover allows maximum longevity, and can be used in any time of the game.

In fact, if you want, you can disregard what we all said. But seeing as you're using Latias as an Offensive Defogger, Latios could be a better option. Latios can actually run the same set, something like this:

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt
- Recover / Thunderbolt
- Defog

OR stay with Latias (better option) that looks like that ^
Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Defog​
  • Thunderbolt: To check Manaphy because I've been seeing a lot of them being used, plus to deal with those pesky Skarms/Talonflames.
  • Recover: To extend the longevity of Latias, if hazards are still up, and all that HP investment should do wonders with Life orb.
  • Max Hp just for bulkiness, I don't see latias staying on a lot of things, when you have all those other threats.
  • If you don't like that Ev spread there's also this: EVs: 252 SAtk / 76 HP / 4 SDef / 176 Spd to have a faster Latias and still maintain a little of that bulk.
That's really all I can think of as of now as this team is extremely well thought, has a great core, and in a nutshell is just a great team. Good Luck!

Last edited:

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
cool team bro! deserves to have based in the title. I'd make sure to run max speed on talonflame; the ability to uturn over lati@s is worth the 48 hp evs. Try out will-o-wisp over steel wing as well. Even though wisp sounds weird on a band set, its great utility for beating mega mawile and bisharp. On latias, i'd take 72 evs out of spatk and place them in hp. To accompany this change go with roost over healing wish. Defog is essential for your team, so recovery will be really useful in being able to do that reliably.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
SickSevenOne BurningFury101
Tested Thunderbolt and Recover, and I have to say, I'm finding Thunderbolt a bit more useful now than in my last test. Thunderbolt is pretty decent on her, I admit. It ties a lose end in Manaphy while not giving up much in terms of targets (Conkeldurr and M-Venu are dealt with by Tflame, while Kyu-B also handles the latter). She's another solid answer to things like Skarmory, which is a plus. Still, Psyshock will be missed, but I don't even use it much on it's intended targets anyways so eh D:

Healing Wish, on the other hand, has proven itself very useful time and time again. Latias is just that mon that will only be used when things get screwed: Defog rocks out, fast nuke DM, or Healing Wish. I never stay him in for more than 3 turns usually, so damage won't really accumulate enough to merit Recover/Roost usage. I can see its usefulness, though, in that it will give Latias reliability. Hopefully I can look on this a bit more but as it stands, Healing Wish stays for the time being.

Changes: Latias: Thunderbolt over Psyshock

GaryTheGengar
Yeah, I changed Talonflame's EVs, putting all the HP into Speed. I wasn't really seeing the effect of those HP EVs, so I just put them there. Will-O-Wisp on Talonflame is something I would consider; the only thing stopping me is that I'd lose my only reliable way of dealing with Fairies if I do so. I'll try it out, though.

And yeah, based team is based ._.

Changes: Talonflame: HP EVs to Speed

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Brave Bird does way more damage to fairies than Steel Wing anyway. Yes, there is recoil, but the Talonflame's not meant to live that long anyway.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Brave Bird does way more damage to fairies than Steel Wing anyway. Yes, there is recoil, but the Talonflame's not meant to live that long anyway.
Yeah, I kinda forgot about that. The only thing that would prove iffy is the recoil, so I could probably put Roost or WoW over Steel Wing since it's still weaker even when SE. Thanks for pointing that out ^_^

I am using this team, is too nice, steel wing is a very bad move, you can remove it, and put Tailwind, Will o Wisp or sleep talk, how you prefer, it is a fantastic team, Good Job

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Maybe Tailwind for Steel Wing? Looking at your team, all of your Pokemon would love a speed boost.
Genius.

To be honest, I forgot it even gets Tailwind. So yeah, this is like the best option I see so far. I honestly only used Steel Wing once ever, so it's not a loss. Thanks for that.

PS: Thoughts on Iron Head over Sacred Sword Aegislash, anyone?

Changes:
  1. Talonflame: Tailwind over Steel Wing
  2. Aegislash: Iron Head over Sacred Sword

Last edited:
Genius.

To be honest, I forgot it even gets Tailwind. So yeah, this is like the best option I see so far. I honestly only used Steel Wing once ever, so it's not a loss. Thanks for that.

PS: Thoughts on Iron Head over Sacred Sword Aegislash, anyone?

Changes:
  1. Talonflame: Tailwind over Steel Wing
  2. Aegislash: Iron Head over Sacred Sword
Thank you for the compliment, but I think Sacred Sword is much better instead of Iron Head. Sacred Sword allows better coverage over Normal types which is it's main role, and it also hits a few things Shadow Sneak can't hit hard, such as Dark types. Using Iron Head makes you walled by Bisharp, Heliolisk, Pyroar, or just about any normal/steel type runs past you with ease.

Hello, nice team

You might want to try a 48hp/252atk/208speed ev spread with adamant nature on Talonflame as it outruns MPinsir, allowing Talonflame to kill MPinsir before MPinsir uses Quick Attack.

You probably should run Sacred Sword over Shadow Ball to dish out damage on Dark-types, and you also don't need to split evs just for Shadow Ball. You should also change your ev spread to 248hp/252atk/8sdef with Brave Nature. The 248hp evs give you 323hp, which lets you take less damage from passive damage than 324. The 8Sdef evs gives Genesect a Attack boost.

Rotom-W can potentially give your team problems since your Rotom-W check doesn't have a recovery move on it, and will be worn down by Will-O-Wisp damage as well as Stealth Rock damage as it attempts to defog the hazards away, as well as your own sand damage. For this, I will change Healing Wish to Roost, and Life Orb to leftovers.

MPinsir would work really well on this team, forming an excellent offensive partner with Kyurem-Black, but I can't seem to find a pokemon to take out for MPinsir to be placed in.

Hope I helped, and good luck.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Hello, nice team

You might want to try a 48hp/252atk/208speed ev spread with adamant nature on Talonflame as it outruns MPinsir, allowing Talonflame to kill MPinsir before MPinsir uses Quick Attack.

You probably should run Sacred Sword over Shadow Ball to dish out damage on Dark-types, and you also don't need to split evs just for Shadow Ball. You should also change your ev spread to 248hp/252atk/8sdef with Brave Nature. The 248hp evs give you 323hp, which lets you take less damage from passive damage than 324. The 8Sdef evs gives Genesect a Attack boost.

Rotom-W can potentially give your team problems since your Rotom-W check doesn't have a recovery move on it, and will be worn down by Will-O-Wisp damage as well as Stealth Rock damage as it attempts to defog the hazards away, as well as your own sand damage. For this, I will change Healing Wish to Roost, and Life Orb to leftovers.

MPinsir would work really well on this team, forming an excellent offensive partner with Kyurem-Black, but I can't seem to find a pokemon to take out for MPinsir to be placed in.

Hope I helped, and good luck.
I have used that Talonflame spread in the past before changing it into the spread it is now. Yeah, it can outspeed M-Pinsir, but the bulk has made little to no difference on Talonflame's lasting power. Also, I like the fact that I can U-turn on the Latis with the speed (if you're wondering why I not just kill it with BB, TTar uses them as set-up fodder).

Aegislash isn't dropping Shadow Ball anytime soon. Let's just say that an Aegislash SB is one of the most spammable moves in the entire game, and losing it would just suck. Yes, I am aware that the EV spread looks funny, but that's just because Shadow Ball is the main move; uninvested Shadow Sneaks still kill anyways after Shadow Ball. Iron Head is just there because I need someone to kill Fairies and most of them are SDef-inclined (I'm a bit uncomfortable with Flash Cannon). I had Sacred Sword before, but I dropped it because it doesn't have business with most of it's targets anyway; just ask Bisharp.

By my Rotom-W check, I assume you mean Latias since you said Defog. While in a glance Latias may looks like my Rotom-W check, Kyu-B is the one actually doing the dirty work. Kyu-B just sets up a Sub on Rotom-W; all of the Washing Machine's attacks are piss weak on Kyu-B while Sub blocks Will-o-Wisp. Also, I am aware that Latias gets worn down quick, but that's what Healing Wish is for: pissing off the enemy for thinking Latias was that easy.

MPinsir does look good on paper, but I'm gonna say drop it because suggesting him makes me think that you didn't read the second paragraph of the whole RMT: this team is based on MTar, so MPinsir can't come in. Nice suggestion though, might try him for another team ^_^.

Thank you for the compliment, but I think Sacred Sword is much better instead of Iron Head. Sacred Sword allows better coverage over Normal types which is it's main role, and it also hits a few things Shadow Sneak can't hit hard, such as Dark types. Using Iron Head makes you walled by Bisharp, Heliolisk, Pyroar, or just about any normal/steel type runs past you with ease.
Coverage for Normals? Well, never thought of them before. My logic was Aegislash has no business with the targets of Sacred Sword (based Bisharp), so I went for the Iron Head. Iron Head just kills Fairies (most are Sp.Def inclined). Also, of the ones you mentioned, he only has business with Heliolisk (I don't know if he gets Flamethrower).

To all:

Yeah, I promised everyone a replay, but I just haven't gotten that *good one* Maybe, if anyone wants, they can battle this team personally. I'm open to it, and maybe then we can get some good ones ^_^.

Could I convince you to run Will-o-wisp on your Talonbird? Due to it forcing many switches into mons such as Ttar and Lando-T (which is a MegaTar check) is it actually a pretty viable option. Rotom-W also doesn't enjoy taking a burn, as after two burn turns it cannot switch in on CB Brave Birds anymore if rocks are up.

I've used the Tailwind version and I've never actually found a chance to Tailwind, but eh. Your choice.

Hey this is a really solid looking team! I've been thinking about revisiting M-Tar and this is giving me some good ideas. I'm going to second Gennosuke Fujiki on the will-o-wisp suggestion. I've found that the fourth move rarely gets used on CB Talonflame and wisp has had the most impact out of any others I've tried. Burning Lando/ Gliscor / TTar / Rotom on the switch can really help wear them down. A lot of times you'll want to u-turn instead with Kyurem-B on the team, but it provides a lot of surprise utility to Talonflame if you see that your opponent's team is very reliant on something that likes to come in on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)