Deerling (Revamp) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Deerling's main niche in the Little Cup metagame lies in its ability Sap Sipper, which gives it an immunity to Grass-type moves. Thanks to Sap Sipper, Deerling serves as one of the only offensive Snivy checks, able to switch in on a Leaf Storm, gain an Attack boost, and outspeed and KO the opposing Snivy. Deerling also forces out various other Grass-types and can capitalize on that fact thanks to its wide movepool. Additionally, Deerling's great base Speed stat allows it to hit 18 Speed, outspeeding much of the unboosted metagame. Deerling's unique STAB combination lets it hit common Grass-type checks with Normal coverage, and it is the only offensive Grass-type that can do this. This unique typing holds it back, however, giving it a weakness to common powerful Flying- and Fighting-type priority moves, which somewhat offsets its high Speed, and leaving it weak to common moves such as Ice Beam and U-turn. Deerling also is easily crippled by status, which many of the Pokemon it aims to check can easily inflict (such as Glare Snivy and Scald or Thunder Wave Chinchou). Additionally, Deerling's defensive stats, though acceptable, are not much more than that, which gives it limited durability in a match.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Return
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 3: Jump Kick / Baton Pass
move 4: Substitute / Wild Charge / Baton Pass
item: Life Orb
ability: Sap Sipper
nature: Jolly
evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Return and Seed Bomb serve as Deerling's two STAB moves and capitalize on its unique type combination. Both hit quite hard thanks to Life Orb, especially after a Sap Sipper boost. Jump Kick hits Steel-types, which resist both of Deerling's STAB moves. In the last slot, Substitute lets Deerling take advantage of the switches it forces, as well as check Ferroseed with no fear of getting paralyzed. Wild Charge lets Deerling lure in and remove Drifloon and, to a lesser extent, Archen, which would otherwise wall it. Baton Pass gives Deerling a way to keep momentum alive by pivoting out on one of the switches it forces to bring in the appropriate counter and can let Deerling pass the Attack boosts it gets from Sap Sipper off to a teammate. Baton Pass can also be run over Jump Kick on teams that don't really require coverage to hit Steel-types.

Set Details
========
Sap Sipper gives Deerling a pseudo-immunity to Grass-type moves, allowing it to check Snivy, Cottonee, Ferroseed, and other common Grass-types. The given Attack EVs, plus Life Orb, allow Deerling to make the most use of the Attack boosts it gets from Sap Sipper, as well as force out the Pokemon it checks and hit the switch-ins as hard as possible. Maximum Speed EVs and a Jolly nature are used so Deerling can hit 18 Speed, outspeeding a majority of the metagame, most notably Snivy. The remaining EVs go into HP and Defense to bolster Deerling's physical bulk.

Usage Tips
========
This set works best by capitalizing on Deerling's unique ability to wall certain Pokemon: Ferroseed, Cottonee, and Snivy, specifically. Deerling should be sent in against these Pokemon to get a Sap Sipper boost if possible and then force the Pokemon out. Deerling can also be used to force out Chinchou and, to a lesser extent, Magnemite. However, Deerling does need to be wary of status moves, such as Snivy's Glare and Chinchou's Scald. Additionally, due to its excellent Speed tier, Deerling can be used to revenge kill weakened opposing Pokemon throughout the match. This Deerling set struggles against opposing priority, and so it should usually be switched out of Pokemon such as Pawniard, Fletchling, and Timburr, which carry powerful priority moves.

Team Options
========
Because of the switches that Deerling forces, teammates that set up entry hazards make for good partners. Onix and Drilbur are good options that can set Stealth Rock for Deerling, and in return they appreciate having Water- and Grass-type attacks sponged that they're weak to. Onix can also check the Fire- and Flying-types that make Deerling's life miserable. Fighting-type checks such as Skrelp and Snubbull are necessary for Deerling to do its job. Skrelp and Deerling form a very solid resistance core as well. Likewise, a Fletchling check is absolutely essential. Archen, Omanyte, and the aforementioned Onix counter Fletchling while retaining good synergy with Deerling. Pokemon that appreciate a +1 Speed boost Baton Passed to them such as Drifloon, Choice Scarf Drilbur, and Shellder all make for good partners as well. Lastly, sweepers that need Grass-types worn down, such as Corphish, appreciate Deerling doing so.

[SET]
name: Pivot
move 1: Return / Seed Bomb
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Substitute / Return
move 4: Thunder Wave
item: Berry Juice
evs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 196 SpD / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Return and Seed Bomb both deal respectable damage and keep Deerling from being complete Taunt and setup bait. Thunder Wave allows Deerling to support its team by paralyzing switch-ins. Baton Pass lets Deerling switch out of an unfavorable matchup without having to predict, as well as often pass a Substitute to give a free switch to a teammate or pass a Sap Sipper Attack boost. Substitute gives Deerling a way to capitalize on the switches it forces, as well as get around Grass-types that might attempt to paralyze it, such as Glare Snivy and Thunder Wave Ferroseed.

Set Details
========
The given Special Defense EVs allow Deerling to sponge special hits as well as possible. Maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature put Deerling at 18 Speed, which lets it outspeed the majority of the metagame. The rest of the EVs go into HP, to give Deerling an odd-numbered HP stat and allow it to pass as many Substitutes as possible, and Attack, to make it a little less passive. Sap Sipper allows Deerling to switch in against Grass-types with no fear. Berry Juice gives Deerling the ability to create more Substitutes over the course of a match.

Usage Tips
========
Defensive Deerling is designed to take advantage of the switches Deerling forces to support its team through paralysis and chip damage on opposing Pokemon. Deerling should not take repeated hits, even neutral ones, due to its overall mediocre defenses and lack of recovery. Thunder Wave is easy to spam early in the match to slow down whatever switches into Deerling. Late-game, Deerling can begin to attack to get chip damage on foes so a teammate can sweep.

Team Options
========
Defensive Deerling works best on teams that need a more defensively reliable Grass-type check. Fighting-type checks are a must when using Deerling. Snubbull makes for a good partner because it can switch in on the Fighting-types that threaten Deerling while dealing damage to Poison-types with Earthquake. Croagunk resists both Fighting- and Poison-type moves for Deerling and can weaken opposing teams with Knock Off. Ponyta is a good partner for Deerling because it checks Fighting-types, Fletchling, Pawniard, and Drifloon and can weaken Skrelp and Archen, all of which prevent Deerling from doing its job. Stunky can remove the Ghost-types that trouble Deerling, can weaken Pawniard, and appreciates Deerling checking Ground-types for it. This Deerling set has good defensive synergy with Water-types, such as Chinchou and Skrelp, the latter of which also resists Fighting and works well with offensive Pokemon that need Grass-types removed, such as Tirtouga and Corphish.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Aromatherapy can be run on either set to give Deerling a way to heal itself and its teammates, since many of the Pokemon it switches into run status moves, such as Scald Chinchou and Glare Snivy. A Chlorophyll set is possible, since Deerling is one of the only physical Chlorophyll sweepers and the fastest Pokemon with the ability. Usually, though, sun teams don't need a Pokemon to fulfill this specific role, and Deerling is already fast without Chlorophyll. A Work Up set can also be run, with Deerling either taking advantage of the boosts itself or Baton Passing them to a teammate with its good Speed, but Deerling lacks the bulk to reliably pull off such a set. Feint Attack, despite its low Base Power, gives Deerling a way to hit Honedge, Pumkaboo, and Gastly, which would all otherwise wall it, but running it over another move usually causes Deerling to miss out on vital coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Strong Priority Users**: Strong priority users such as Fletchling, Timburr, and Pawniard can take advantage of Deerling's poor defensive stats and hit it hard with super effective attacks.

**Super Effective Moves**: Deerling has a plethora of weaknesses, including some to the common Fighting-, Flying-, and Ice-type moves that many Pokemon run as coverage in LC. Deerling cannot consistently take these attacks, and they wear it down very quickly.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Cross Chop Elekid, Brick Break Aipom, Choice Scarf Mienfoo and Scraggy, and Taillow all easily revenge kill Deerling with their super effective attacks.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types, especially Honedge, Pumkaboo, and Gastly, as well as Drifloon if Wild Charge is not run, are hard counters to Deerling, and all can set up or, in the case of Pumpkaboo, get free recovery, against it.

**Bulky Fire-types**: Ponyta and Larvesta switch into Deerling with no fear and threaten to burn it with Flame Body or Will-O-Wisp. Ponyta also is able to outspeed Deerling, while Larvesta has U-turn to give its side momentum.

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey so I'd love some comments on these movesets. Second one especially- it has a decent support movepool but I'm not sure how offensive to go or what exactly to slash.
Tagging Corporal Levi

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
yeah deerling doesn't have much going for it defensively. Synthesis and Workup (for BP mostly, probs OO material) is all it can really do for defensive purposes.
Maybe make Syth 3rd move, and have the 4th be Baton Pass / Aroma / Jump Kick or smthng. Wild Charge or second STAB also works, idk which/what would be best.

Return seems mandatory on defensive Deerling, as the whole point is to beat Snivy. BJ should be slashed if Synthesis isn't mandatory. You also might want to run a bit more attack on it to guarantee the 2HKO on Eviolite Snivy and the OHKO on BJ Snivy at +1.

36 Atk Deerling Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Snivy: 7-10 (33.3 - 47.6%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

116 Atk Deerling Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Snivy: 9-12 (42.8 - 57.1%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 36 Atk Deerling Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Snivy: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 116 Atk Deerling Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Snivy: 19-24 (90.4 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

BJ might also be worth slashing on the offensive set. Also Chlorophyll.

also deerling doesn't get horn leech, its best physical grass stab is seed bomb

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
On the LO set Double Edge doesn't really seem good, especially if you lack recovery. Since you don't actually get Horn Leech, there's a couple moves that could go on there. Baton Pass seems kinda sketchy honestly. Synthesis is worth a slash in my opinion, since it lets you recover if you take multiple hits. Feint Attack maybe, despite its low BP, since that lets Deerling hit Honedge, Gastly, and Pumpkaboo, and if not in the set should absolutely be in OO.

Chlorophyll is worth a mention if not a full set, since it makes Deerling into the fastest Pokemon under sun and can severely hurt standard sun. Potentially a slash on the Life Orb set, if the team it's on has sufficient Snivy checks.

Defensive Deerling does not sound particularly good. It beats Snivy sure, but it's typing is actually really horrendous for a defensive Pokemon due to its many, many common weaknesses. Fighting, Poison, Flying, Fire, U-turn, even Ice Beam, all of them are fairly to very common and Deerling's only really got a couple things to argue for its presence over many mons with better defensive typings.

So, excuse me if I'm misunderstanding something here, but is this going to include anything other than the sets? I figure if it's a "revamp" then everything should be at least looked at, or is there a different label for that?

Offensive:
Possibly add a Bounce option somewhere, as well as maybe Aromatherapy, since as a fast physical attacker it's super-weak to status. Not sure where you'd put that on though, probably by getting rid of bp, which doesn't seem necessary really.

Defensive:
I would say the fourth move would be Synthesis right? You could also put Grasswhistle on as a slash on it, though that might be kinda bad...

Probably scrap the defensive set though :/

Last edited:
Does Bounce kill anything more important than Wild Charge killing Drifloon and Archen? Grass, Fighting, and Bug types all have a very high chance of being 2HKO'd by Return after rocks except Pumpkaboo, and you can run Feint Attack if you're worried about Honedge / Pumpkaboo.

Does Bounce kill anything more important than Wild Charge killing Drifloon and Archen? Grass, Fighting, and Bug types all have a very high chance of being 2HKO'd by Return after rocks except Pumpkaboo, and you can run Feint Attack if you're worried about Honedge / Pumpkaboo.
I was thinking for PumpK, but maybe I'm being overly paranoid about that mon. In hindsight, probably scrap that idea, though I also think Feint Attack does so little to almost everything that it's also useless...

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Get this done or you're fired

Tagging Corporal Levi cuz apparently you're wanted, as well as tcr cuz you have a fetish for this Pokemon

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi I've had some experience using Deerling. I would definitely think to add in Substitute sets. Having it as a main move in the Life Orb set would be best imo, as Deerling can force switches with its maximum of 18 Speed, decent enough attack, and ok typing. Specifically Substitute lets it have the chance to beat things like Ferroseed and Snivy without being paralyzed (Snivy can still bop with HP Fire, but at that point Return would win). I've also experimented with a Substitute set that ran 24 HP and Baton Pass, as it can pass to tons of cool things like Mienfoo. Its a tossup on whether you run Adamant or Jolly, I generally prefer Jolly in order to outspeed Drilbur but if you wanted to run a slower set Adamant would be best.

Additionally, mentioning some Chlorophyll set somwhere would be good, as THE fastest Chlorophyll user and having access to tons of physical attacking moves means that it differentiates itself from Bellsprout.

ill write more when i feel better but theres a lot of unexplored potential with deerling, mostly with how easy it can baton pass different boosts to teammates while not being bait for ferro / snivy

Nineage

Pugnacious.
After literally a million years, I think this is finally ready for QC.

Its a little rough so I apologize to the first QCer :pirate:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Mention Deerling's above average speed outside of just outspeeding Snivy
  • Talk about its unique Dual STAB
[SET] Life Orb:
  • It's my opinion that, with Drifloon on the rise, Wild Charge should be the first slash for move 4.
Moves:
  • This section checks out!
Set Details:
  • You have to talk about Sap Sipper here as well. Explain again what it does and why Deerling wants it
  • It's good practice to mention extra EVs and why they are in the stats they are; something to the extent of "the remaining EVs go to HP and Defense to help bolster Deerling's physical bulk."
Usage Tips:
  • Deerling is also a pretty good switch into Chinchou, and, to a much lesser extent, Magnemite.
  • Deerling makes an excellent revenge killer against slower Pokemon, of which there are many due to its excellent Speed tier.
  • If Deerling's whole niche is switching into Snivy, it seems odd to tell users to be cautious of it. With Deerling's offensive nature, the teams it fits onto may only have Deerling to rely on in order to sponge a Leaf Storm, and as such should usually do so.
Team Options:
  • Deerling reeeeeeeeeeeally needs Fletchling checks! List some!

[SET] Defensive:
  • I really don't understand what exactly this set accomplishes that Eviolite Snivy or Ferroseed do not. Especially without mention of Synthesis, this set seems to be just a faster version of Ferroseed with significantly poorer defensive stats. I need another opinion on this, but I really don't think this should be a set. Keep it for now, and after we get some more opinions I can finish checking it (or not!).
Other Options:
  • Wild Charge is listed on a main set, so it doesn't belong here
Checks and Counters:
  • Mention Pawniard under strong priority as well
  • Ponyta seems especially troubling for Deerling: it's the only defensive Fire-type that threatens to outspeed and KO Deerling. It also threatens with Flame Body burns. I think Ponyta deserves its own section for these reasons!

Good job, Nine! QC 1/3

Last edited:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[17:26] +Levi: and it's a thunder wave user that beats grounds sort of like snivy
[17:26] +Levi: except it beats snivy
[17:26] +Levi: and gets baton pass

[17:28] +Levi: i think sub baton pass + its defensive utility
[17:28] +Levi: is a good niche

[SET]

With Levi's defined roles listed above (which I now agree with) it becomes more clear what direction Deerling should head in. It gets a lot easier to sponge Snivy's Hidden Powers when you can actually have recovery, so the set now has Berry Juice. This also helps Deerling create more Substitutes, making it able to consistently maintain momentum against its switchins. Since Deerling wants to be making Subs, it should have an odd HP number; the EV spread now reflects this. The moveset now reflects the roles as well; Return beats up Snivy, Baton Pass preserves momentum, Substitute augments said preservation of momentum, and Thunder Wave is Thunder Wave. Return should be run in the third slot if you opt for Seed Bomb in slot 1 because without it Deerling cannot outlast Snivy.

Anyways just update the moves sections and stuff to reflect this as the second set and my check is finished!

Nineage

Pugnacious.
Every time I implement a check of any kind on this analysis, I will be posting an image of a deerling

Thats 1/3 Implemented

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • note that Deerling's high speed is somewhat offset by its weakness to common priority moves. You will need to note to the effect of: "Deerling's typing holds it back however; common powerful Flying- and Fighting-type priority somewhat offsets Deerling's high speed while leaving it weak to common Bug-, Ice-, and Poison-type attacks."
imo this is large reason why Deerling isn't worth using usually and should be combined with your first negative bullet.
[offensive set]
Set Details:
  • You have to talk about Sap Sipper here as well. Explain again what it does and why Deerling wants it
  • It's good practice to mention extra EVs and why they are in the stats they are; something to the extent of "the remaining EVs go to HP and Defense to help bolster Deerling's physical bulk."
Usage Tips:
  • mention a dislike of status from ferro's t wave, snivy's glare, chinchou's scald
Team Options:
  • mentions mons that love being bped +1 attack and come in on some counters. Scarf Drilbur, somewhat Shellder, Drifloon, and Ponyta come to mind. Add anything else you think of though, next qcer will check.

[Defensive set]

Team Options:
Generally too small imo
  • mention Snubbull who isn't totally bait for Poisons and checks fighting types
  • Gunk works well as it does not always like switching into Grass pokemon while it usually weakens stuff for Deerling and checks poisons and fighters and can do pawn
  • Ponyta specifically Wild Charge is good bc it helps versus fighting types, checks fletch, checks pawn, brings in stuff that deerling doesn't like such as Archen while countering Drifloon. Also weakens skrelp making Deerling a less risky pivot. Deerling also handles Chinchou and staryu somewhat okayly.
  • oma doesn't need grasses removed. Only Lileep takes Ice Beam and Cottonee is a mild problem but that's it. Can stay but potentially misleading?
  • Stunky is worth a mention as it gets Gastly, weakens Pawn, gets abra, weakens spritzee. deerling handles grounds for it
[Other Options]
  • Aroma should be added bc half of what deerling switches into can click status moves which makes it almost worthless.
Checks and Counters:
  • faster pokemon such as Cross Chop Elekid, Brick Break Aipom (fury swipes works if bj is consumed), scarf mienfoo and scraggy, and taillow all rk well.
  • doesn't look like you added pawn to strong priority like berks said so fix that.
QC: 2/3
time to write it up

Nineage

Pugnacious.
[OVERVIEW]
  • note that Deerling's high speed is somewhat offset by its weakness to common priority moves. You will need to note to the effect of: "Deerling's typing holds it back however; common powerful Flying- and Fighting-type priority somewhat offsets Deerling's high speed while leaving it weak to common Bug-, Ice-, and Poison-type attacks."
imo this is large reason why Deerling isn't worth using usually and should be combined with your first negative bullet.
[offensive set]
Set Details:
Usage Tips:
  • mention a dislike of status from ferro's t wave, snivy's glare, chinchou's scald
Team Options:
  • mentions mons that love being bped +1 attack and come in on some counters. Scarf Drilbur, somewhat Shellder, Drifloon, and Ponyta come to mind. Add anything else you think of though, next qcer will check.

[Defensive set]

Team Options:
Generally too small imo
  • mention Snubbull who isn't totally bait for Poisons and checks fighting types
  • Gunk works well as it does not always like switching into Grass pokemon while it usually weakens stuff for Deerling and checks poisons and fighters and can do pawn
  • Ponyta specifically Wild Charge is good bc it helps versus fighting types, checks fletch, checks pawn, brings in stuff that deerling doesn't like such as Archen while countering Drifloon. Also weakens skrelp making Deerling a less risky pivot. Deerling also handles Chinchou and staryu somewhat okayly.
  • oma doesn't need grasses removed. Only Lileep takes Ice Beam and Cottonee is a mild problem but that's it. Can stay but potentially misleading?
  • Stunky is worth a mention as it gets Gastly, weakens Pawn, gets abra, weakens spritzee. deerling handles grounds for it
[Other Options]
  • Aroma should be added bc half of what deerling switches into can click status moves which makes it almost worthless.
Checks and Counters:
  • faster pokemon such as Cross Chop Elekid, Brick Break Aipom (fury swipes works if bj is consumed), scarf mienfoo and scraggy, and taillow all rk well.
  • doesn't look like you added pawn to strong priority like berks said so fix that.
QC: 2/3
time to write it up
Done, except...

mentions mons that love being bped +1 attack and come in on some counters. Scarf Drilbur, somewhat Shellder, Drifloon, and Ponyta come to mind. Add anything else you think of though, next qcer will check.

Work Up is not on that set anywhere, so I didn't implement. If you want me to change something abt that, just let me know.

Fiend

someguy
Sap sipper boosts attack, leading to plausible attack boost passes. However, it these pokemon should have synergy with Deerling which Scarf Dril and Drifloon do. Ponyta is questionable to call synergetic imo, as the reason why deerling is used is bc you're snivy and somewhat ground or water weak, but works well with it.

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
overview: say that it gets crippled by status which can be easily inflicted by the mons he's supposed to check. then, refer to both sets in your overview. It seems like the only available set is the life orb one by reading your overview. I don't really think bug- and maybe ice-type moves are that common in lc. Maybe you wanted to write something else

in both sets mention that baton pass is cool because it can pass sap sipper boosts as well as keeping momentum alive.

emphasize aromatherapy in other options by putting it first.

3/3

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
Deerling's main niche in the Little Cup metagame lies in its ability (RC) Sap Sipper, which gives it an immunity to Grass-type moves. Thanks to Sap Sipper, Deerling serves as one of only offensive Snivy checks, able to switch in on a Leaf Storm, gain an Attack boost, and outspeed and KO the opposing Snivy. Deerling also forces out various other Grass-types (RC) and can capitalize on that fact thanks to its wide movepool. Additionally, Deerling's great base Speed stat allows it to hit 18 Speed, outspeeding much of the unboosted metagame. Deerling's unique Dual STAB combination allows it to hit common Grass-type checks with Normal coverage, and it is the only offensive Grass-type that can do this. This unique typing holds it back, (AC) however, giving it a weakness to common powerful Flying- and Fighting-type priority moves, (AC) which somewhat offsets Deerling's its high Speed, and leaving it weak to common moves such as Ice Beam and U-turn. Deerling also is easily crippled by status, which many of the Pokemon it aims to check can easily inflict (such as Glare Snivy and Scald or Thunder Wave Chinchou). What's more Additionally, Deerling's defensive stats, though acceptable, are not much more than that, which gives it limited durability in a match.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Return and Seed Bomb serve as Deerling's two STAB moves (RC) and capitalize on its unique type combination. Both hit quite hard thanks to Life Orb, especially after a Sap Sipper Attack boost. Jump Kick hits Steel-types, which resist both of Deerling's STAB moves. In the last slot, Substitute lets Deerling abuse take advantage of the switches it forces by getting a Substitute up, as well as check Ferroseed with no fear of getting paralyzed. Wild Charge lets Deerling lure in and remove Drifloon, and to a lesser extent (less importantly?) Archen, who which would otherwise wall it. Baton Pass gives Deerling a way to keep momentum alive by Baton Passing pivoting out on one of the switches it forces to bring in the appropriate counter (RC) and can let Deerling pass the Attack boosts Deerling it gets thanks to from Sap Sipper off to a teammate. Baton Pass can also be run over Jump Kick on teams that don't really require coverage to hit Steel-types.

Set Details
========
Sap Sipper gives Deerling a pseudo-immunity to Grass-type moves, and is Deerling's most valuable asset, allowing it to check Snivy, Cottonee, Ferroseed, and other common LC Grass-types. The given Attack EVs, plus Life Orb, allow Deerling to make the most use of the Attack bonuses it gets from Sap Sipper, as well as force out the Pokemon it checks and hit the switch-ins as hard as possible. Maximum Speed EVs and a Jolly nature are used so Deerling can hit 18 Speed, outspeeding a majority of the metagame, most notably Snivy. The remaining EVs go into HP and Defense to bolster Deerling's physical bulk.

Usage Tips
========
This set works best by capitalizing on Deerling's unique ability to wall certain Pokemon: Ferroseed, Cottonee, and Snivy, (AC) specifically. Deerling should be sent in against these Pokemon to get a Sap Sipper boost if possible (RC) and then force the Pokemon out. Deerling can also be used to force out Chinchou (RC) and, (AC) to a lesser extent, Magnemite. However, Deerling does need to be wary of status moves, such as Snivy's Glare and Chinchou's Scald. Additionally, due to its excellent Speed tier, Deerling can be used to revenge kill weakened opposing Pokemon throughout the match. This Deerling set struggles against opposing priority. (not a usage tip--what do you do?)

Team Options
========
Because of the switches that Deerling forces, teammates that set up entry hazards make good partners. Onix and Drilbur are good teammates options that can set Stealth Rock for Deerling, and in return they appreciate having have their Water- and Grass-type weaknesses attacks sponged that they're weak to. Onix can also check the Fire- and Flying-types that make Deerling's life miserable. Fighting-type checks, such as Skrelp and Snubbull are necessary for Deerling to do its job. Skrelp and Deerling form a very solid resistance core as well. Likewise, a Fletchling check is absolutely essential. Archen, Omanyte, and the aforementioned Onix counter Fletchling while retaining good synergy with Deerling. Pokemon that appreciate a +1 Speed Baton Pass boost Baton Passed to them (RC) such as Drifloon, Choice Scarf Drilbur, and Shellder all make good partners as well. Lastly, sweepers that need Grass-types worn down, such as Corphish, appreciate Deerling to wear them down doing so.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Return and Seed Bomb both deal respectable damage (RC) and keep Deerling from being complete Taunt and setup bait. Thunder Wave allows Deerling to support its team by paralyzing switch-ins. Baton Pass lets Deerling switch out of an unfavorable matchup without any predicition,having to predict, and as well as often pass a Substitute to give a free switch-in to a teammate (RC) or pass (assuming you don't mean pass a Sub + a boost) a Sap Sipper Attack boost. Substitute gives Deerling a way to capitalize on the switches it forces, as well as a way to get around Grass-types who that might attempt to paralyze it, such as Glare Snivy and Thunder Wave Ferroseed.

Set Details
========
The given Special Defense EVs allow Deerling to sponge special hits as well as possible. Maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature put Deerling at 18 Speed, which lets it outspeed the majority of the metagame. The rest of the EVs go into HP, to give Deerling an odd-numbered HP stat and allow it to pass as many Substitutes as possible, and Attack, to make it a little less passive. Sap Sipper is key on Deerling, allowing it allows Deerling to switch in against Grass-types with no fear. Berry Juice gives Deerling the ability to create more Substitutes over the course of a match.

Usage Tips
========
Defensive Deerling is designed to take advantage of the switches Deerling forces to support its team through paralysis and chip damage on opposing Pokemon. Deerling should not take repeated hits, even neutral hits ones, due to its overall mediocre defenses and lack of recovery. Thunder Wave is easy to spam early in the match to slow down whatever switches into Deerling. Late-game, Deerling can begin to attack to get chip damage on opponents foes so a teammate can sweep.

Team Options
========
Defensive Deerling works best on teams that need a more reliable Grass-type check defensively. (doesn't really make sense, "a more reliable defensive Grass-type check" / "a more defensively reliable Grass-type check"?) Fighting-type resists checks are a must when using Deerling. Snubbull makes a good partner, because it can switch in on the Fighting-types that threaten Deerling while dealing damage to Poison-types with Earthquake. Croagunk resists both Fighting- and Poison-type moves for Deerling (RC) and can weaken opposing teams with Knock Off. Ponyta is a good partner for Deerling, because it checks Fighting-types, Fletchling, Pawniard, and Drifloon (RC) and can weaken Skrelp and Archen, all of which help (prevent from doing? help doesn't really make sense here... and tbqh this bit also feels a tad redundant) Deerling do its job. Stunky can remove the Ghost-types that trouble Deerling, (AC) and can weaken Pawniard, and appreciates Deerling checking Ground-types for it.
This Deerling set works well has good defensive synergy with Water-types defensively, such as Chinchou and Skrelp, the latter of which also resists Fighting-types, and works well with offensive Pokemon that need Grass-types removed, such as Tirtouga and Corphish.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Aromatherapy can be run on either set, giving to give (less ambiguous / clunky) Deerling a way to heal itself and its teammates, since many of the Pokemon it switches into run status moves, such as Scald Chinchou and Glare Snivy. A Chlorophyll abuse set is possible, since Deerling is one of the only physical potential Chlorophyll sweepers that hits physically, and the fastest Pokemon with Chlorophyll the ability. Usually, though, sun teams don't need a Pokemon to fulfill this specific role, and Deerling is already fast without Chlorophyll. A Work Up set can also be run, either with Deerling either abusing taking advantage of the boosts itself or Baton Passing them to a teammate with its good Speed, but Deerling lacks the bulk to reliably pull off such a set. Feint Attack, despite its low Base Power, gives Deerling a way to hit Honedge, Pumkaboo, and Gastly, which would all otherwise wall it, but running it over another move usually causes Deerling to miss out on vital coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Strong Priority**: (add colon, do so throughout) Strong priority users (RC) such as Fletchling, Timburr, and Pawniard can bypass Deerling's poor defensive stats and hit it hard with super effective (RH) attacks

**Super Effective (RH) Moves**: Deerling has a plethora of weaknesses, including weaknesses to the common Fighting-, (AC) Flying-, (AC) and Ice- type moves that many Pokemon run as coverage in LC. Deerling cannot consistently take these attacks, and so they wear it down very quickly.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon, such as Cross Chop Elekid, Brick Break Aipom, Choice Scarf Mienfoo and Scraggy, and Taillow all easily revenge kill Deerling with their super effective (RH) attacks.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types, especially Honedge, Pumkaboo, and Gastly, as well as Drifloon if Wild Charge is not run, are hard counters to Deerling, and all can set up or, in the case of Pumkaboo Pumpkaboo, get free recovery, against Deerling it.

**Bulky Fire-types**: Ponyta and Larvesta switch into Deerling with no fear (RC) and threaten to burn it with either Flame Body or Wil-o-Wisp Will-O-Wisp. Ponyta also is able to outspeed Deerling, while Larvesta has U-turn to give its side momentum.

Last edited:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]
Deerling's main niche in the Little Cup metagame lies in its ability Sap Sipper, which gives it an immunity to Grass-type moves. Thanks to Sap Sipper, Deerling serves as one of the only offensive Snivy checks, able to switch in on a Leaf Storm, gain an Attack boost, and outspeed and KO the opposing Snivy. Deerling also forces out various other Grass-types and can capitalize on that fact thanks to its wide movepool. Additionally, Deerling's great base Speed stat allows it to hit 18 Speed, outspeeding much of the unboosted metagame. Deerling's unique STAB combination allows lets it to (repetition) hit common Grass-type checks with Normal coverage, and it is the only offensive Grass-type that can do this. This unique typing holds it back, however, giving it a weakness to common powerful Flying- and Fighting-type priority moves, which somewhat offsets its high Speed, and leaving it weak to common moves such as Ice Beam and U-turn. Deerling also is easily crippled by status, which many of the Pokemon it aims to check can easily inflict (such as Glare Snivy and Scald or Thunder Wave Chinchou). Additionally, Deerling's defensive stats, though acceptable, are not much more than that, which gives it limited durability in a match.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Return and Seed Bomb serve as Deerling's two STAB moves and capitalize on its unique type combination. Both hit quite hard thanks to Life Orb, especially after a Sap Sipper boost. Jump Kick hits Steel-types, which resist both of Deerling's STAB moves. In the last slot, Substitute lets Deerling take advantage of the switches it forces, as well as check Ferroseed with no fear of getting paralyzed. Wild Charge lets Deerling lure in and remove Drifloon, (RC) and, (AC) to a lesser extent, (AC) Archen, which would otherwise wall it. Baton Pass gives Deerling a way to keep momentum alive by pivoting out on one of the switches it forces to bring in the appropriate counter and can let Deerling pass the Attack boosts it gets from Sap Sipper off to a teammate. Baton Pass can also be run over Jump Kick on teams that don't really require coverage to hit Steel-types.

Set Details
========
Sap Sipper gives Deerling a pseudo-immunity to Grass-type moves, allowing it to check Snivy, Cottonee, Ferroseed, and other common Grass-types. The given Attack EVs, plus Life Orb, allow Deerling to make the most use of the Attack bonuses boosts it gets from Sap Sipper, as well as force out the Pokemon it checks and hit the switch-ins as hard as possible. Maximum Speed EVs and a Jolly nature are used so Deerling can hit 18 Speed, outspeeding a majority of the metagame, most notably Snivy. The remaining EVs go into HP and Defense to bolster Deerling's physical bulk.

Usage Tips
========
This set works best by capitalizing on Deerling's unique ability to wall certain Pokemon: Ferroseed, Cottonee, and Snivy, specifically. Deerling should be sent in against these Pokemon to get a Sap Sipper boost if possible and then force the Pokemon out. Deerling can also be used to force out Chinchou and, to a lesser extent, Magnemite. However, Deerling does need to be wary of status moves, such as Snivy's Glare and Chinchou's Scald. Additionally, due to its excellent Speed tier, Deerling can be used to revenge kill weakened opposing Pokemon throughout the match. This Deerling set struggles against opposing priority, and so it should usually be switched out of Pokemon such as Pawniard, Fletchling, and Timburr, which abuse carry powerful priority moves.

Team Options
========
Because of the switches that Deerling forces, teammates that set up entry hazards make for good partners. Onix and Drilbur are good options that can set Stealth Rock for Deerling, and in return they appreciate having Water- and Grass-type attacks sponged that they're weak to. Onix can also check the Fire- and Flying-types that make Deerling's life miserable. Fighting-type checks, (RC) such as Skrelp and Snubbull are necessary for Deerling to do its job. Skrelp and Deerling form a very solid resistance core as well. Likewise, a Fletchling check is absolutely essential. Archen, Omanyte, and the aforementioned Onix counter Fletchling while retaining good synergy with Deerling. Pokemon that appreciate a +1 Speed boost Baton Passed to them such as Drifloon, Choice Scarf Drilbur, and Shellder all make for good partners as well. Lastly, sweepers that need Grass-types worn down, such as Corphish, appreciate Deerling doing so.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Return and Seed Bomb both deal respectable damage (RC) and keep Deerling from being complete Taunt and setup bait. Thunder Wave allows Deerling to support its team by paralyzing switch-ins. Baton Pass lets Deerling switch out of an unfavorable matchup without having to predict, as well as often pass a Substitute to give a free switch to a teammate or pass a Sap Sipper Attack boost. Substitute gives Deerling a way to capitalize on the switches it forces, as well as a way to get around Grass-types that might attempt to paralyze it, such as Glare Snivy and Thunder Wave Ferroseed.

Set Details
========
The given Special Defense EVs allow Deerling to sponge special hits as well as possible. Maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature put Deerling at 18 Speed, which lets it outspeed the majority of the metagame. The rest of the EVs go into HP, to give Deerling an odd-numbered HP stat and allow it to pass as many Substitutes as possible, and Attack, to make it a little less passive. Sap Sipper allows Deerling to switch in against Grass-types with no fear. Berry Juice gives Deerling the ability to create more Substitutes over the course of a match.

Usage Tips
========
Defensive Deerling is designed to take advantage of the switches Deerling forces to support its team through paralysis and chip damage on opposing Pokemon. Deerling should not take repeated hits, even neutral ones, due to its overall mediocre defenses and lack of recovery. Thunder Wave is easy to spam early in the match to slow down whatever switches into Deerling. Late-game, Deerling can begin to attack to get chip damage on foes so a teammate can sweep.

Team Options
========
Defensive Deerling works best on teams that need a more defensively reliable Grass-type check. Fighting-type checks are a must when using Deerling. Snubbull makes for a good partner, (RC) because it can switch in on the Fighting-types that threaten Deerling while dealing damage to Poison-types with Earthquake. Croagunk resists both Fighting- and Poison-type moves for Deerling and can weaken opposing teams with Knock Off. Ponyta is a good partner for Deerling, (RC) because it checks Fighting-types, Fletchling, Pawniard, and Drifloon and can weaken Skrelp and Archen, all of which prevent Deerling from doing its job. Stunky can remove the Ghost-types that trouble Deerling, and can weaken Pawniard, and appreciates Deerling checking Ground-types for it. (remove line break) This Deerling set has good defensive synergy with Water-types, such as Chinchou and Skrelp, the latter of which also resists Fighting and works well with offensive Pokemon that need Grass-types removed, such as Tirtouga and Corphish.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Aromatherapy can be run on either set to give Deerling a way to heal itself and its teammates, since many of the Pokemon it switches into run status moves, such as Scald Chinchou and Glare Snivy. A Chlorophyll set is possible, since Deerling is one of the only physical potential Chlorophyll sweepers and the fastest Pokemon with the ability. Usually, though, sun teams don't need a Pokemon to fulfill this specific role, and Deerling is already fast without Chlorophyll. A Work Up set can also be run, with Deerling either taking advantage of the boosts itself or Baton Passing them to a teammate with its good Speed, but Deerling lacks the bulk to reliably pull off such a set. Feint Attack, despite its low Base Power, gives Deerling a way to hit Honedge, Pumkaboo, and Gastly, which would all otherwise wall it, but running it over another move usually causes Deerling to miss out on vital coverage.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Strong Priority Users**: Strong priority users such as Fletchling, Timburr, and Pawniard can bypass take advantage of Deerling's poor defensive stats and hit it hard with super effective attacks. (space)

**Super Effective Moves**: Deerling has a plethora of weaknesses, including some to the common Fighting-, Flying-, and Ice-(remove space)type moves that many Pokemon run as coverage in LC. Deerling cannot consistently take these attacks, and they wear it down very quickly.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon, (RC) such as Cross Chop Elekid, Brick Break Aipom, Choice Scarf Mienfoo and Scraggy, and Taillow all easily revenge kill Deerling with their super effective attacks.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types, especially Honedge, Pumkaboo, and Gastly, as well as Drifloon if Wild Charge is not run, are hard counters to Deerling, and all can set up or, in the case of Pumpkaboo, get free recovery, against it.

**Bulky Fire-types**: Ponyta and Larvesta switch into Deerling with no fear and threaten to burn it with Flame Body or Will-O-Wisp. Ponyta also is able to outspeed Deerling, while Larvesta has U-turn to give its side momentum.
GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)