Defeating the demon known as Laziness.

I don't think you're supposed to put spoiler alerts AFTER the spoiler.

Why not combine the two, and read books/e-books/articles online? Find some forums that are concerned with subjects that interest you and join them?

Probably a shit title but I don't really care. Anyway I've recently decided that I should take it upon myself to expand my knowledge. The only problem is that I have been procrastinating. I bought several books to read so that I could get into the habit of reading, but I just can't get myself to actually pick up the book and read. I realize that I have the time to do so, but for some reason I just putter around on the Internet and waste my time.
I'm not really sure as to why I do this, but I am aware that it is going to become a major problem later on in life. After reading the "whats wrong with our education system" thread I found that numerous Smogoners have/have had this problem.
So how should I overcome this problem? Is it as simple as just forcing myself to turn off the computer and read, or is their a trick to it? Oddly enough I have no trouble reading things online. I can sit and read 20+ pages of a thread without a problem, but reading even a few pages of a book seems tedious to me.
I'm maybe going to be harsh about this, but here's my reply.

You said that you have "recently decided that I should take it upon myself to expand my knowledge." Here's the news: no you didn't. If you really have decided to do that, then that's what you would be doing right now. The fact that you're procrastinating proves that you haven't really decided to do it.

So my advice is: you need to want to do it first, and then do it.

I've found a curious strain of this problem. While I am at college, I cannot bring myself to read for fun, no matter what the book in question is. However, when I am home, I read for fun constantly, usually several hours a night. I've even tried bringing a book I started at home to college, and I still couldn't read it.

I think it's because it's easier for me to be on my computer as long as I like at college, while when I am at home if I am up too late it disturbs others, so I go to bed earlier and read rather than staying up and computering.

Can you try doing that? Keep your bed separate from your computer area, and go to your bed earlier than you would normally. Make the only entertainment available to you at your bed Books.

Here's something: I have a project that I am doing for my university course, and I decided that I wanted to start it early because I wanted it to be really good (like you want to read more to improve your knowledge). The thing is, as much preparation as I did for it (like you bought the books), I never actually touched the code (like you not reading them) for a few weeks after I'd planned out what I wanted to do. I realised I was procrastinating, and asked myself why. The answer was that I was scared of failing, of not getting to where I wanted to be. It's the same reasoning a lot of people use for things like exams and getting fit etc: if I don't try, I won't fail. You need to get over this mentality, and the best way to do it is to force yourself to start. Once you've read a chapter or two, and you've got into the habit of reading a bit before you go to bed or when you get in from school, it becomes a lot easier. Forming habits is in fact one excellent way to overcome procrastination.

What genre would Anthem fall under? That was the only thing I have read recently in class that actually interested me.

Bad pseudo-philosophical dystopianism. Do yourself a favor and read Orwell, Huxley, or someone less intellectually lazy than Rand if you like dystopian novels, please.

I'd recommend trying to find ebooks -- Project Gutenberg and Wowio have a good number, and finding others is rather easy. I personally cannot focus on ebooks for any extend period of time; it took me several months to read Beyond Chutzpah in its PDF form, and it isn't terribly long (330 pages sans index), but perhaps the medium will help in your case. I've always been an avid reader with no problems finding myself immersed in a given text.

Actually, finding a forum for the books you read isn't a bad idea. Considering that our laziness is likely tied to computer (over)use, it could motivate you to read more.
Personally, I recommend some economics books to get started. They have flashy titles, relatively interesting stories, and real life application. I'd recommend Freakonomics to start.

I'm still lazy and read books, I don't think being "lazy" has anything to do with you not reading. Just find something you might be interested in. I really enjoy war novels, fantasy, and horror/suspense novels. Just give some novels a try and if you're not into the book within the first 20-30 pages just say "screw it" and try something else. Trail and error is the only answer I have for you.

I have this problem sometimes. There isn't really any trick to it, though. Eventually you just reach the point where you have to say "Okay, I'm going to do this." Then once you start moving it's a lot easier.

What I have found, though, that helps keep me from being distracted by other activities, is to keep the book with me at all times.

Try setting a deadline and split the amount of work into days. Dividing the work into parts makes the whole thing seem less intimidating and something you can tackle piece by piece. It also gives you the feeling that you did something productive everyday.

I don't think she is having any problems with anxiety. Rather her addiction towards the computer which is negating her from controlling her actions.

She basically can't focus because the computer is so distracting. Drugs like provigil, caffeine, adderall, etc. all help a person focus and get their work done.

Back