Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hopefully, this will be fixed in future gens, like for Flareon and Flare Blitz. I'm sure there are other examples, too.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
TPC really dropped the ball on this thing. If diamond storm was special instead of physical (which would make more sense since it's basically an upgraded power gem judging by the flavour text), it could have a neat calm mind + diamond storm set to increase both defenses and SpA at the same time.

But noo, now it's just another pokemon with an abysmal movepool. What a let down.

Hopefully, this will be fixed in future gens, like for Flareon and Flare Blitz. I'm sure there are other examples, too.
So... gen 9 then?

With a lot of Hacked Diancies running around, it should be a matter of time to confirm if that thing is actually able to learn Power Gem or not.

Or maybe Game Freak wants Power Gem to be an event only move...like Flare Blitz/Extreme Speed on Shiny Entei

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
If the movie Diancie get's Oblivion Wing and Geomancy, wouldn't it have a recovery move in Oblivion Wing? I know it doesn't get STAB from it, but in my opinion 80 BP with 75% Recovery isn't shabby.

Does Diancie really need Power Gem though? 4 Atk Diamond Storm already OHKOs MegaZard Y and Talonflame, and if you want to invest in Special Attack you can just run a - Speed nature.

Plus, you'd miss out on the Defense boosts. I really don't see what the problem is.
The problem is that while Diamond Storm is a great move that most Diancie sets should run, it's physical, meaning pure Special Diancie sets are much less viable. It can't run Choice Specs unless it has Power Gem, for example.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Making Power Gem an event-only move to cripple any Diancie obtained prior to the official distribution would be a really clever move on Game Freak's part, which is why it will never, ever happen.
You know, any Shaymin caught in DP cannot transform into Shaymin-S because they do not have the Fateful Encounter flag (unlike Platinum and Event Shaymin). It was more retaliation for people finding out about the Tweaking Glitch than anything, but I really wouldn't put it past Game Freak.

Then again, who cares, Diancie still won't have Recover. She's only good as a waifu and is still soundly outclassed by Gardevoir :|

You know, any Shaymin caught in DP cannot transform into Shaymin-S because they do not have the Fateful Encounter flag (unlike Platinum and Event Shaymin). It was more retaliation for people finding out about the Tweaking Glitch than anything, but I really wouldn't put it past Game Freak.

Then again, who cares, Diancie still won't have Recover. She's only good as a waifu and is still soundly outclassed by Gardevoir :|
Gardevoir is entry-level, all the hipsters will flock to Diancie.

If the movie Diancie get's Oblivion Wing and Geomancy, wouldn't it have a recovery move in Oblivion Wing? I know it doesn't get STAB from it, but in my opinion 80 BP with 75% Recovery isn't shabby.
i can't see why diancie would get oblivion wing. it doesn't even have wings.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Watch it get Oblivion Wing and not Power Gem.

Power Gem may as well not have been buffed at all. Only 4 evolutionary families have STAB on it, and none can use it at all. And it's a niche coverage move at best.

If Diancie wont get oblivion wing and/or geomancy it wont make it to ou. It seems to have a horrible offensive movepool (literally 3 moves outside of hidden power on the special side and even less on physical) and its typing is sub par. I think that diancie will be the crocune of ru, because suicune outclasses it in uu. Trick room set could be nice, but it lacks power and coverage. And its signature move is wasted because it doesn't get play rough or anything else for that matter (lol gyro ball).

If Diancie wont get oblivion wing and/or geomancy it wont make it to ou. It seems to have a horrible offensive movepool (literally 3 moves outside of hidden power on the special side and even less on physical) and its typing is sub par. I think that diancie will be the crocune of ru, because suicune outclasses it in uu. Trick room set could be nice, but it lacks power and coverage. And its signature move is wasted because it doesn't get play rough or anything else for that matter (lol gyro ball).

You really shouldn't infer things like this until we actually test the Pokemon. People said the same things about MPinsir, MZards, MKnagaskhan, Greninja, Aegislash, Talonflame, and MVenusaur....

For now, lets keep the 'this things is going to be a bad RU Pokemon' comments out and focus on the positives; such as an awesome signature move and a TR setting niche in OU.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
maybe it'll get ancient power? :P
252 SpA Diancie Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 82-97 (24 - 28.4%) -- 95.8% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 109-129 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 91% chance to 3HKO

It does get Ancient Power, but it doesn't matter, as diamond storm will out damage it, even w/out investment.

Anyway, does anyone else think people are really underestimating this thing? Sure, it won't be OP, but I consider that a good thing. It has a good typing that lets it easily counter the pokemon #2 in usage, as well as other highly used pokemon. It has one of the best moves in the game, and a decent enough attack stat to use with it. It also has a great special STAB move in Moonblast, and Psyshock to go well with it. It has Gyro ball for more physical damage, and Hidden Power Ground so it will reliably beat Heatran. It also has Trick Room, Dual Screens, Toxic and more for a supportive set. Its defensive typing is okay, as it does have 5 resistances, and immunity, and 4 weaknesses. It has 4 weaknesses, but only 2 of which are very common, and those are only x2 weaknesses. The only HUGE flaw with it is it can't beat steel types, at all, and gets slaughtered by, albeit rare, steel moves. It's not going to be an OU staple, but it's certainly viable and doesn't suck like everyone's saying. Plus, we don't know everything about it.
You really shouldn't infer things like this until we actually test the Pokemon. People said the same things about MPinsir, MZards, MKnagaskhan, Greninja, Aegislash, Talonflame, and MVenusaur....

For now, lets keep the 'this things is going to be a bad RU Pokemon' comments out and focus on the positives; such as an awesome signature move and a TR setting niche in OU.
THANK YOU!!!

Based on what we know about Diancie so far (it could certainly change at any time), this thing strikes me more as a Pokemon that would be better off supporting its team, rather than being something that you build a team around. Stealth Rock is always useful, and although Rock/Fairy isn't the best defensive typing out there, its defensive stats can make up for it. Assault Vest + Diamond Storm lets it act more like a bulky attacking pivot if your team needs another one of those. Dual Screens also seems intriguing, with the possibility of dropping one of the screens to add another support/coverage option. However, Trick Room I honestly don't see as being very useful because of all the (strong) priority flying around in OU right now.

On the subject of getting around its counters, what do you guys think would be good teammates for Diancie? For more defensive teams, I see Steel types of your own being very good. Skarmory and Ferrothorn resist three of Diancie's weaknesses and can set up hazards to help wear down the Pokemon that give her trouble. More generally, Rotom-W (seriously, is there any team this thing isn't good on?) gives it opportunities to switch in without getting crippled in the process. Latias also has decent defensive synergy and provides some much needed Wish support. Your thoughts?

Albacore

wow, Diamond storm and CM sets must be really good o:, and thanks for the info!
The problem with a Diamond Storm + CM set is that Diancie only has 2 moves left to attack with, and since it can't learn Shadow Ball, it gets stopped dead by Steel-types.

This thing seems like it has potential to be one of the best Trick Room users; a set of TR/SR/Diamond Storm/Moonblast seems like it'd work really well. Also, I bet you get this thing by taking Carbink somewhere or using an item on him.

To me it looks a lot like Bronzong, with typing being the biggest difference. Bronzong is usable in OU but not common, and honestly unless Diancie gets something nifty we haven't found yet, I think it will go down the same path.

Both are mainly supporting defensive pokemon with Trick Room, screens and Stealth Rock, and can Explode when they finish. Bronzong has Hypnosis and Trick which are really the only support moves that one has over the other, neither are all that common on Bronzong. fwiw they can both try to run Calm Mind sets too.

Defensively, neither has good recovery, and both of them have good but very different typing, each with their own perks and stuff that they can check. For example, Diancie can deal with dragons that use fire coverage while Bronzong handles dragons with ground coverage (well, screw Haxorus and Kyurem but you know what I mean). Looking at the stats, Diancie is 8-11% better depending on EV investment.

Offensively, Diancie has better offensive stats, and Moonblast and Diamond Storm are strong, reliable and have good secondary effects and better typing than Bronzong's stabs, though it has to go mixed to take advantage of both STABs at the same time.

Bronzong, on the other hand, has Gyro Ball which is less reliable but potentially stronger (Gyro Ball has more than 100 base power against pokemon with 253 speed and higher, so pretty much any invested offensive pokemon), and Psychic/Zen Headbutt which are not very good given what should go in its moveslots first, but usable. Diancie is walled by any generic Steel type and its only hope is hidden power, while Bronzong at least has Earthquake as an option. Bronzong primarily is a physical attacker, so it doesn't need to worry as much about splitting EVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)