Ditto (Ubers analysis) GP 0/2

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry about this being late, got sidetracked by real life plus a project Im working on.

[Overview]

<p>Once only known as a joke Pokemon and a breeding machine, the Hidden Hollows have finally redeemed Ditto with access to its new amazing ability, Imposter. No longer does Ditto have to waste a turn using Transform, as Imposter does the work for the adorable pink amoeba the moment it switches in! Combine this with a Choice Scarf, and you have a dastardly little revenge killer that not only reveals the opponent's moveset to you, but also preys on offensive Dragons and sometimes even weakened sweepers to sweep on it's own!</p>

<p>It's not all sunshine and rainbows for Ditto though. Ditto's greatest strength ends up being its greatest weakness as well. While Ditto may be able to revenge Dragons and weakened sweepers like Mewtwo, defensive Pokemon will usually laugh at Ditto's attempts of sabotage. Even worse is Ditto's difficulty with revenging the many Calm Mind users of the Ubers metagame. These kind of flaws can make Ditto a gamble of a team slot at times, as Ditto's performance so greatly depends on the opponent's team. This doesn't mean Ditto is a bad Pokemon though, because if you are willing to take the gamble, there's a good chance that you'll walk away with all the poker chips on the table if you play the cards you are dealt with well!</p>

[Set]
name: Imposter
move 1: Transform
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Imposter
nature: Relaxed
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By far the most important aspect of using Ditto is paying attention to Team Preview, and coming up with a plan to make Ditto as useful as possible, because Ditto's play style is so dependent on the opponent's team. For example, if you see that your opponent has a Darkrai, you have the option of leading with Ditto. Ditto's Choice Scarf means that it can outspeed and can give Focus Sash Darkrai a taste of its own medicine with Dark Void (unless you miss it of course)! While it may be tempting to lead with Ditto when you see a Deoxys-S, this is a very risky maneuver, because if Deoxys-S has Magic Coat, Ditto will lose. Ditto itself can help scout the team by revealing its moveset, so leading with Ditto can help when the opponent leads with an unpredictable Pokemon like Dialga.</p>

<p>Ditto's most common job is to revenge kill a variety of sweepers. Only attempt to revenge kill them though, because if Ditto switches in as the Pokemon sets up, Ditto won't get the boosts and is likely to lose! When it comes to revenge killing, the most obvious choices (in most cases) are the many offensive Dragons that infest the Ubers metagame. Just make sure that they aren't carrying a Choice Scarf, or else you will have a 50% chance of losing your Ditto! Ditto is particularly effective at revenge killing frail sweepers like Darkrai, Rayquaza, and Terrakion. For the more bulky sweepers like Mewtwo, Latias, and Normal Arceus, you shouldn't just switch in Ditto right away, or it's terrible HP stat and Choice Scarf will let it down. Generally, Ditto will only be useful against these kinds of bulky sweepers when using it on a very offensive team. The idea is to hit these bulky Pokemon as hard as possible while they set up, damaging them enough to the point where Ditto can turn the tables on the situation! Finally, in emergency situations, Ditto can revenge SmashPass recipients, a quality that few Pokemon share, and a useful quality for offensive teams.</p>

<p>When Ditto is unlucky enough to be facing a stall team, there are still some ways to salvage it. One strategy is to try and take out their Ghost-type. When the stall team loses their Ghost-type, then you can transform Ditto into their spinner, and get rid of their hazards. Additionally, when you really want Spikes up yourself, you can switch in on Ferrothorn or Skarmory to at least get one layer of Spikes up. Be warned though, the opponent can use this as a time to set up their Spikes too, so only do this when you think the extra damage Spikes cause will help you win the game.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>248 HP is the only important part of the EV spread here. This is so Ditto takes an odd amount of damage from entry hazards, allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock 8 times, and 3 layers of Spikes 4 times. The rest of the spread is here for two very situational reasons. The first reason is to make Ditto as slow as possible. This is because in a rare Ditto vs Ditto situation, the slowest Ditto will always win the Struggle war. The second reason is in the rare case that both Ditto and Genesect come out at the same time; Ditto's higher defense won't boost Genesect's U-turn. Don't worry too much about the IVs, nature, and EVs in this case if you have a cart, because the only important part to soft reset for when trying to catch a good Ditto in Black 2 and White 2's Hidden Hollows is an HP IV of 31 or 30.</p>

<p> As much as Ditto loathes facing a stall team, it actually fits on them pretty well. Ditto's role as a sort of emergency check that can cause a dramatic turnabout in a match makes it a fairly useful Pokemon on stall teams, especially for its Darkrai revenging potential. Stall teams in turn help out Ditto with their entry hazards. This way, when a worn down sweeper tries to cut through your team, Ditto is more likely to save the day than normal!</p>

<p>When it comes to specific teammates, Ditto doesn't really have much to name. There are 3 teammates in particular that stand out though. Genesect and Ditto can team up to become a fantastic scouting and revenge killing duo. Genesect can often scare out sweepers like Rayquaza, Darkrai, and Mewtwo, and then use U-turn as they switch out to Ditto to reveal the next Pokemon's moveset. Scizor is in a similar boat here, only it trades Genesect's Speed and coverage for Roost, Pursuit, and a strong Bullet Punch. Finally, Wobbuffet can be a fairly helpful teammate here. Wobbuffet can severely punish any sort of Pokemon that dares to set up, because now they'll be a free switch in for Ditto! However, many players will become even more paranoid about setting up than normal when they see both Wobbuffet and Ditto on the same team, so you can either use the opportunity to predict and crush the sweeper with Wobbuffet, or you can run Destiny Bond Wobbuffet if you are paranoid about predicting.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>The only things resembling an "other option" for Ditto using a different item than normal. Life Orb can give Ditto a much better chance at sweeping, but you will have to rely on a risky Speed tie unless you have a lot of paralysis or Wobbuffet support. Focus Sash can be a nasty surprise vs many of the Dragons, but hazards will ruin this strategy.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Because of Ditto's identity stealing nature, it doesn't have any traditional counters per se. However, there are plenty of ways to deal with Ditto. The most reliable way of making a mockery of Ditto is using a Pokemon with Calm Mind, as most Calm Mind users in Ubers will not be revenge killed by Ditto. This is especially true for Calm Mind Arceus, because Ditto doesn't copy the Judgment type. Also, any Pokemon that uses Substitute will ruin Ditto's chance of revenge killing them, as Substitute makes Imposter fail. Depending on the kind of Pokemon Ditto has transformed into, it can also be revenged by Wobbuffet. Finally, Ditto struggles to be effective against defensive Pokemon, as being locked into a Choice Scarf and having a measly base 48 HP makes it easy to take advantage of.</p>

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ditto wrecks SmashPass teams and I think that's something worth noting

QC 2/3 because really, it's Ditto...

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying, you're missing a nature, although it isn't really that important, I guess.

[qc]3/3[/qc]

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention Ditto cant revenge Latias unless you get a crit (lol) because you don't copy Soul Dew, and even if Latias has 0 Hp and 252 SpA Ditto does 46.5% - 55.8% with Dragon Pulse (assuming Ditto's number of SpA boosts are equal to Latias's SpD boosts, which is best case scenario for Ditto...).

edit: wobbuffet can basically revenge you regardless in most cases because of the 5 PP transform gives moves, so you're not safe even if you choose a support move! (unless this changed in bw/bw2?) The PP issue is also a fairly large issue in Ubers where the sweepers are sometimes so bulky, and oftentimes have pressure, that 5/3 uses of the move may not be enough.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
May I ask why you are using max defense? I know it's not common in ubers, but Zoroark is the only pokemon that can cause imposter to fail (that can catch you out), and is usually special as far as I know, so you probably ought to use max SpD Sassy instead.

You'll also want to add IVs for hidden power and to minimise Speed.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hidden Power Fire is probably the only noteworthy Hidden Power, so mentioning those IVs OS highly recommended.

Ice and Ground can probably be mentioned in OO / AC.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
May I ask why you are using max defense? I know it's not common in ubers, but Zoroark is the only pokemon that can cause imposter to fail (that can catch you out), and is usually special as far as I know, so you probably ought to use max SpD Sassy instead.

You'll also want to add IVs for hidden power and to minimise Speed.
Just asking, but why Sassy and 0 IVs in Speed?

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Against Stall maybe you should mention it can spin or stack hazards on the fe if you can't afford this in your team.

EDIT: Perhaps "The One and Only" as title? And you can remove move 2 to 4, only move 1 is required!

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow I actually finished an analysis for once! Sorry if the prose is bleh and I'm far lighter on details than normal, I sorta rushed this because of a certain mechanical insect and a certain project I'm working on. Before this is GP'd, I want QC members to look over this and see if I'm missing anything.

Also, I need some help on the evs and hidden power stuff. I'm tempted to just not include them because its sooo situational... but I want feedback.

Furai

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
you forgot the AC section !_!

Finally, in emergency situations, Ditto can revenge smashpass recipients, a quality that few Pokemon share, and a useful quality for offensive teams. Finally, in emergency situations, Ditto can revenge smashpass recipients, a quality that few Pokemon share, and a useful quality for offensive teams.
2nd paragraph in the end

Analysis is good, I don't see the reason to mention the 0 IV Speed though, because it's really the same like any other IV that would be there. You also said in the analysis that the only one important is 31 HP. As for the EVs, 248 HP is really all you need (odd HP number for hazards). The rest is completely useless...

Theorymon

Actually I didn't include the AC section yet mostly because I'm not quiiite sure which parts should go in there, since I dedicate the whole set to strategy instead of just explaining how it works.

Furai

I think that the last 3 paragraphs are AC material, as in the other ones you literally explain what the set does.

EDIT:
(16:03) <01@Furai> uhhhhhhh
(16:03) <01@Furai> can someone explain me
(16:03) <01@Furai> why does most ditto run a -spe nature
(16:03) <01@Furai> with 0 spe ivs
(16:03) <01@Furai> like i just saw it in flcl's nu rmt
(16:04) <14shrang> I think it was to go last in a struggle fest when you have ditto vs ditto
(16:04) <14shrang> so you win
(16:05) <01@Furai> lol

if that's the case then fine LOL

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
- Mention / clarify that Ditto can't really switch in on stat boosters during their set up turn. RP Groudon, Terrakion, and Dragon Dance Rayquaza can all possibly outrun you if you do (well, DDRay is 50/50 but still risky).

- Relaxed Ditto is a possibility in the event of a Ditto vs Genesect faceoff and you don't want it getting a boosted U-turn. This is assuming both are sent in at the same time (through double death or lead), where Genesect can actually Download off Ditto's stats. Really minor stuff but something rather interesting to think about

-
248 HP is the only important part of the EV spread here. This is so Ditto takes an odd amount of damage from entry hazards, allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock 5 times
8 times*. Max layer spikes = 4 times
Ditto's Choice Scarf means that it can outspeed and Taunt Deoxys-S, preventing hazards from coming up
Really risky strat because all Deoxys-S has to do is Magic Coat and you automatically lose this matchup.

Deoxys-S has more than 5 Magic Coats meaning you automatically lose to Taunt/Coat/SR/Spikes. Against sets with attacks, you have a mind game dependent on the attack its running.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Once only known as a joke Pokemon and a breeding machine, the Hidden Hollows have finally redeemed Ditto with access to its new amazing ability, Imposter. No longer does Ditto have to waste a turn using Transform, as Imposter does the work for the adorable pink amoeba the moment it switches in! Combine this with a Choice Scarf, and you have a dastardly little revenge killer that not only reveals the opponent's moveset to you, but also preys on offensive Dragons and sometimes even weakened sweepers to sweep on it's own!</p>

<p>It's not all sunshine and rainbows for Ditto though. Ditto's greatest strength ends up being its greatest weakness as well. While Ditto may be able to revenge Dragons and weakened sweepers like Mewtwo, defensive Pokemon will usually laugh at Ditto's attempts of sabotage. Even worse is Ditto's difficulty with revenging the many Calm Mind users of the Ubers metagame. These kind of flaws can make Ditto a gamble of a team slot at times, as Ditto's performance so greatly depends on the opponent's team. This doesn't mean Ditto is a bad Pokemon though, because if you are willing to take the gamble, there's a good chance that you'll walk away with all the poker chips on the table if you play the cards you are dealt with well!</p>

[Set]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By far the most important aspect of using Ditto is paying attention to Team Preview, and coming up with a plan to make Ditto as useful as possible, because Ditto's play style is so dependent on the opponent's team. For example, if you see that your opponent has a Darkrai, you have the option of leading with Ditto. Ditto's Choice Scarf means that it can outspeed and can give Focus Sash Darkrai a taste of its own medicine with Dark Void (unless you miss it of course)! While it may be tempting to lead with Ditto when you see a Deoxys-S, this is a very risky maneuver, because if Deoxys-S has Magic Coat, Ditto will lose. Ditto itself can help scout the team by revealing its moveset, so leading with Ditto can help when the opponent leads with an unpredictable Pokemon like Dialga.</p>

<p>Ditto's most common job is to revenge kill a variety of sweepers. Only attempt to revenge kill them though, because if Ditto switches in as the Pokemon sets up, Ditto won't get the boosts and is likely to lose! When it comes to revenge killing, the most obvious choices (in most cases) are the many offensive Dragons that infest the Ubers metagame. Just make sure that they aren't carrying a Choice Scarf, or else you will have a 50% chance of losing your Ditto! Ditto is particularly effective at revenge killing frail sweepers like Darkrai, Rayquaza, and Terrakion. For the more bulky sweepers like Mewtwo, Latias, and Normal Arceus, you shouldn't just switch in Ditto right away, or it's terrible HP stat and Choice Scarf will let it down. Generally, Ditto will only be useful against these kinds of bulky sweepers when using it on a very offensive team. The idea is to hit these bulky Pokemon as hard as possible while they set up, damaging them enough to the point where Ditto can turn the tables on the situation! Finally, in emergency situations, Ditto can revenge SmashPass recipients, a quality that few Pokemon share, and a useful quality for offensive teams.</p>

<p>When Ditto is unlucky enough to be facing a stall team, there are still some ways to salvage it. One strategy is to try and take out their Ghost-type. When the stall team loses their Ghost-type, then you can transform Ditto into their spinner, and get rid of their hazards. Additionally, when you really want Spikes up yourself, you can switch in on Ferrothorn or Skarmory to at least get one layer of Spikes up. Be warned though, the opponent can use this as a time to set up their Spikes too, so only do this when you think the extra damage Spikes cause will help you win the game.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>248 HP is the only important part of the EV spread here. This is so Ditto takes an odd amount of damage from entry hazards, allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock 8 times, and 3 layers of Spikes 4 times. The rest of the spread is here for two very situational reasons. The first reason is to make Ditto as slow as possible. This is because in a rare Ditto vs Ditto situation, the slowest Ditto will always win the Struggle war. The second reason is in the rare case that both Ditto and Genesect come out at the same time; Ditto's higher defense won't boost Genesect's U-turn. Don't worry too much about the IVs, nature, and EVs in this case if you have a cart, because the only important part to soft reset for when trying to catch a good Ditto in Black 2 and White 2's Hidden Hollows is an HP IV of 31 or 30.</p>

<p> As much as Ditto loathes facing a stall team, it actually fits on them pretty well. Ditto's role as a sort of emergency check that can cause a dramatic turnabout in a match makes it a fairly useful Pokemon on stall teams, especially for its Darkrai revenging potential. Stall teams in turn help out Ditto with their entry hazards. This way, when a worn down sweeper tries to cut through your team, Ditto is more likely to save the day than normal!</p>

<p>When it comes to specific teammates, Ditto doesn't really have much to name. There are 3 teammates in particular that stand out though. Genesect and Ditto can team up to become a fantastic scouting and revenge killing duo. Genesect can often scare out sweepers like Rayquaza, Darkrai, and Mewtwo, and then use U-turn as they switch out to Ditto to reveal the next Pokemon's moveset. Scizor is in a similar boat here, only it trades Genesect's Speed and coverage for Roost, Pursuit, and a strong Bullet Punch. Finally, Wobbuffet can be a fairly helpful teammate here. Wobbuffet can severely punish any sort of Pokemon that dares to set up, because now they'll be a free switch in for Ditto! However, many players will become even more paranoid about setting up than normal when they see both Wobbuffet and Ditto on the same team, so you can either use the opportunity to predict and crush the sweeper with Wobbuffet, or you can run Destiny Bond Wobbuffet if you are paranoid about predicting.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>The only things resembling an "other option" for Ditto is using a different item than normal. Life Orb can give Ditto have a much better chance at sweeping, but you will have to rely on a risky Speed tie unless you have a lot of paralysis support or Wobbuffet support. Focus Sash can be a nasty surprise vs many of the Uber Dragons, but hazards will ruin this strategy.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Because of Ditto's identity stealing nature, it doesn't have any traditional counters per se. However, there are plenty of ways to deal with Ditto. The most reliable way of making a mockery of Ditto is using a Pokemon with Calm Mind, as most Calm Mind users in Ubers will not be revenge killed by Ditto. This is especially true for Calm Mind Arceus, because Ditto doesn't copy the Judgment type. Also, any Pokemon that uses Substitute will ruin Ditto's chance of revenge killing them, as Substitute makes Imposter fail. Depending on the kind of Pokemon Ditto has transformed into, it can also be revenged by Wobbuffet. Finally, Ditto struggles to be effective against defensive Pokemon, as being locked into a Choice Scarf and having a measly base 48 HP makes it easy to take advantage of.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amateur check
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Once only known as a joke Pokemon and a breeding machine sex slave, the Hidden Hollows have finally redeemed Ditto with access to its new amazing ability, Imposter. No longer does Ditto have to waste a turn using Transform, as Imposter does the work for the adorable pink amoeba the moment it switches in! Combine this with a Choice Scarf, and you have a dastardly little revenge killer that not only reveals the opponent's moveset to you, but also preys on offensive dragons and sometimes even weakened sweepers to sweep on its own!</p>

<p>It's not all sunshine and rainbows for Ditto though. Ditto's greatest strength ends up being its greatest weakness as well. While Ditto may be able to revenge dragons and weakened sweepers like Mewtwo, defensive Pokemon will usually laugh at Ditto's attempts of sabotage. Even worse is Ditto's difficulty with revenging the many Calm Mind users of the Ubers metagame. These kind of flaws can make Ditto a gamble of a team slot at times, since Ditto's performance so greatly depends on the opponent's team. This doesn't mean Ditto is a bad Pokemon though, because if you are willing to take the gamble, theres a good chance that you'll walk away with all the poker chips on the table if you play the cards you are dealt with well!</p>

[Set]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By far the most important aspect of using Ditto is paying attention to team preview, and coming up with a plan to make Ditto as useful as possible, since Ditto's play style is so dependent on the opponent's team. For example, if you see that your opponent has a Darkrai, you have the option of leading with Ditto. Ditto's Choice Scarf means that it can outspeed and can give Focus Sash Darkrai a taste of its own medicine with Dark Void (unless you miss it of course)! While it may be tempting to lead with Ditto when you see a Deoxys-S, this is a very risky maneuver, because if Deoxys-S has Magic Coat, Ditto will lose. Ditto itself can help scout the team by revealing its moveset, so leading with Ditto can help when the opponent leads with an unpredictable Pokemon like Dialga.</p>

<p>Ditto's most common job is to revenge kill a variety of sweepers. Only attempt to revenge kill them though, because if Ditto switches in as the Pokemon sets up, Ditto won't get the boosts and is likely to lose! When it comes to revenge killing, the most obvious choices in most cases are the many offensive Dragons that infest the Ubers metagame. Just make sure that they aren't carrying a Choice Scarf, or else you will have a 50% chance of losing your Ditto! Ditto is particularly effective at revenge killing frail sweepers like Darkrai, Rayquaza, and Terrakion. For the more bulky sweepers like Mewtwo, Latias, and Normal Arceus, you shouldn't just switch in Ditto right away, or it's terrible HP stat and Choice Scarf will let it down. Generally, Ditto will only be useful against these kinds of bulky sweepers when using it on a very offensive team. The idea is to hit these bulky Pokemon as hard as possible while they set up, damaging them enough to the point where Ditto can turn the tables on the situation! Finally, in emergency situations, Ditto can revenge smashpass recipients, a quality that few Pokemon share, and a useful tool for offensive teams.</p>

<p>When Ditto is unlucky enough to be facing a stall team, there are still some ways to salvage it. One strategy is to try and take out their Ghost-type. When the stall team loses their Ghost type, then you can transform into their Rapid Spinner, and great rid of their hazards. Additionally, when you really want Spikes up yourself, you can switch in on Ferrothorn or Skarmory to at least get one layer of Spikes up. Be warned though, the opponent can use this as a time to set up their Spikes too, so only do this when you think the extra damage Spikes cause will help you win the game.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>248 HP is the only important part of the EV spread here. This is so Ditto takes an odd amount of damage from entry hazards, allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock 8 times, and 3 layers of Spikes 4 times. The rest of the spread is here for two very situational reasons. The first reason is to make Ditto as slow as possible. This because in a rare Ditto vs Ditto situation, the slowest Ditto will always win the Struggle war. The second reason is in the rare case that both Ditto and Genesect come out at the same time, Ditto's higher defense won't boost Genesect's U-turn. Don't worry too much about the IVs, nature, and EVs in this case if you have a cart, because the only important part to soft reset for when trying to catch a good Ditto in Black 2 and White 2's Hidden Hollows is an HP IV of 31 or 30.</p>

<p> As much as Ditto loathes facing stall team, it actually fits on them pretty well. Ditto's role as a sort of emergency check that can cause a dramatic turnabout in a match makes it a fairly useful Pokemon on stall teams, especially for its Darkrai revenging potential. Stall teams in turn, (RC) help out Ditto with their entry hazards. This way, when a worn down sweeper tries to cut through your team, Ditto is more likely to save the day than normal!</p>

<p>When it comes to specific teammates, Ditto doesn't really have much to name. There are 3 teammates in particular that stand out though. Genesect and Ditto can team up to become a fantastic scouting and revenge killing duo. Genesect can often scare out sweepers like Rayquaza, Darkrai, and Mewtwo, and then use U-turn as they switch out to Ditto to reveal the next Pokemon's moveset. Scizor is in a similar boat here, only it trades Genesect's Speed and coverage for Roost, Pursuit, and a strong Bullet Punch. Finally, Wobbuffet can be a fairly helpful teammate here. Wobbuffet can severely punish any sort of Pokemon that dares to set up, because now they'll be a free switch-in for Ditto! However, many players will become even more paranoid about setting up than normal when they see both Wobbuffet and Ditto on the same team, so you can either use the opportunity to predict and crush the sweeper with Wobbuffet, or you can run Destiny Bond Wobbuffet if you are paranoid about predicting.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>The only things resembling an "other option" for Ditto using a different item than normal. Life Orb can let you have a much better chance at sweeping, but you will have to rely on a risky speed tie Is it one word? I've never seen it like that unless you have a lot of paralysis support or Wobbuffet support. Focus Sash can be a nasty surprise vs many of the Uber dragons, but hazards will ruin this strategy.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Because of Ditto's identity stealing nature, it doesn't have any traditional counters per se. However, there are plenty of ways to deal with Ditto. The most reliable way of making a mockery of Ditto is using a Calm Mind, as most Calm Mind users in Ubers will not be revenge killed by Ditto. This is especially true for Calm Mind Arceus, since Ditto doesn't copy the Judgment type. Also, any Pokemon that uses Substitute will ruin Ditto's chance of revenge killing them, since Substitute makes Imposter fail. Depending on the kind of Pokemon Ditto has transformed into, it can also be revenged by Wobbuffet. Finally, Ditto struggles to be effective against defensive Pokemon, as being locked into a Choice Scarf and having a measly base 48 HP makes it easy to take advantage of.</p>

EDIT: Well, darn it, it seems this doesn't need a check by me anymore. Curse you, oglemi, for fooling me into thinking it needed another check!

Even so, shouldn't ditto have IVs tailored to make Hidden Power useful? Hidden Power Ice or Fire seem like logical choices.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Placeholder. Checking this.

EDIT:

Add
Remove
[Overview]

<p>It's not all sunshine and rainbows for Ditto though. Ditto's greatest strength ends up being its greatest weakness as well. While Ditto may be able to revenge Dragons and weakened sweepers like such as Mewtwo, defensive Pokemon will usually laugh at Ditto's attempts of sabotage. Even worse is Ditto's difficulty with revenging the many Calm Mind users of the Ubers metagame. These kind of flaws can make Ditto a gamble of a team slot at times, as Ditto's performance so greatly depends on the opponent's team. This doesn't mean Ditto is a bad Pokemon though, because if you are willing to take the gamble, there's a good chance that you'll walk away with all the poker chips on the table if you play the cards you are dealt with well!</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By far the most important aspect of using Ditto is paying attention to the team preview,[remove comma] and coming up with a plan to make Ditto as useful as possible, because Ditto's play style is so dependent on the opponent's team. For example, if you see that your opponent has a Darkrai, you have the option of leading with Ditto. Ditto's Choice Scarf means that it can outspeed and can give Focus Sash Darkrai a taste of its own medicine with Dark Void (unless you miss it of course)! While it may be tempting to lead with Ditto when you see a Deoxys-S, this is a very risky maneuver, because if Deoxys-S has Magic Coat, Ditto will lose. Ditto itself can help scout the opposing team by revealing its moveset, so leading with Ditto can help when the opponent leads with an unpredictable Pokemon like such as Dialga.</p>

<p>Ditto's most common job is to revenge kill a variety of sweepers. Only attempt to revenge kill them though, because if Ditto switches in as the Pokemon sets up, Ditto won't get the boosts and is likely to lose! When it comes in to revenge killing, the most obvious choices (in most cases) are the many offensive Dragons that infest the Ubers metagame. Just make sure that they aren't carrying a Choice Scarf, or else you will have a 50% chance of losing your Ditto! Ditto is particularly effective at revenge killing frail sweepers like such as Darkrai, Rayquaza, and Terrakion. For the more bulky sweepers like such as Mewtwo, Latias, and Normal Arceus, you shouldn't just switch in Ditto right away, or it's terrible HP stat and Choice Scarf will let it down. Generally, Ditto will only be useful against these kinds of bulky sweepers when using it on a very offensive team. The idea is to hit these bulky Pokemon as hard as possible while they set up, damaging them enough to the point where Ditto can turn the tables on the situation![remove].[add] Finally, in emergency situations, Ditto can revenge SmashPass recipients, a quality that few Pokemon share, and a useful quality for offensive teams.</p>

<p>When Ditto is unlucky enough to be facing a stall team, there are still some ways to salvage it. One strategy is to try and take out their Ghost-type Pokemon. When the stall team loses their Ghost-type, then you can transform Ditto into their spinner, and get rid of their hazards. Additionally, when you really want Spikes up yourself, you can switch in on Ferrothorn or Skarmory to at least get one layer of Spikes up. Be warned though, the opponent can use this as a time to set up their Spikes too, so only do this when you think the extra damage Spikes cause will help you win the game.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP is the only important part of the EV spread here. This is so Ditto takes an odd amount of damage from entry hazards, allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock 8 times, and 3 layers of Spikes 4 times. The rest of the spread is there for two very situational reasons. The first reason is to make Ditto as slow as possible. This is because in a rare Ditto vs Ditto situation, the slowest Ditto will always win the Struggle war. The second reason is in the rare case that both Ditto and Genesect come out at the same time; Ditto's higher defense won't boost Genesect's U-turn. Don't worry too much about the IVs, nature, and EVs in this case if you have a cart, because the only important part to soft reset for when trying to catch a good Ditto in Black 2 and White 2's Hidden Hollows is an HP IV of 31 or 30.</p>

<p>[space]As much as Ditto loathes facing a stall team, it actually fits on them pretty well. Ditto's role as a sort of emergency check that can cause a dramatic turnabout in a match makes it a fairly useful Pokemon on stall teams, especially for its Darkrai revenging potential. Stall teams in turn help out Ditto with their entry hazards. This way, when a worn down sweeper tries to cut through your team, Ditto is more likely to save the day than normal!</p>

<p>When it comes to specific teammates, Ditto doesn't really have much to name. There are 3 teammates in particular that stand out though. Genesect and Ditto can team up to become a fantastic scouting and revenge killing duo. Genesect can often scare out sweepers like such as Rayquaza, Darkrai, and Mewtwo, and then use U-turn as they switch out to Ditto to reveal the next Pokemon's moveset. Scizor is in a similar boat here, only it trades Genesect's Speed and coverage for Roost, Pursuit, and a strong Bullet Punch. Finally, Wobbuffet can be a fairly helpful teammate here. Wobbuffet can severely punish any sort of Pokemon that dares to set up, because now they'll be a free switch in for Ditto! However, many players will become even more paranoid about setting up than normal when they see both Wobbuffet and Ditto on the same team, so you can either use the opportunity to predict and crush the sweeper with Wobbuffet, or you can run Destiny Bond Wobbuffet if you are paranoid about predicting.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>The only things resembling an "other option" for Ditto using a different item than normal. Life Orb can give Ditto a much better chance at sweeping, but you will have to rely on a risky Speed tie unless you have a lot of paralysis or Wobbuffet support. Focus Sash can be a nasty surprise vs many of the Dragons, but hazards will ruin this strategy.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

Good job here. Left most of the exclamtion points because it's Ditto.

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Furai

[Overview]

<p>It's not all sunshine and rainbows for Ditto though. Ditto's greatest strength ends up being its greatest weakness as well. While Ditto may be able to revenge Dragons and weakened sweepers such as Mewtwo, defensive Pokemon will usually laugh at Ditto's attempts of sabotage. Even worse is Ditto's difficulty with revenging the many Calm Mind users of the Ubers metagame. These kind of flaws can make Ditto a gamble of a team slot at times, as Ditto's performance so greatly depends on the opponent's team. This doesn't mean Ditto is a bad Pokemon though, because if you are willing to take the gamble, there's a good chance that you'll walk away with all the poker chips on the table if you play the cards you are dealt with well!</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By far the most important aspect of using Ditto is paying attention to the team preview and coming up with a plan to make Ditto as useful as possible, because Ditto's play style is so dependent on the opponent's team. For example, if you see that your opponent has a Darkrai, you have the option of leading with Ditto. Ditto's Choice Scarf means that it can outspeed and can give Focus Sash Darkrai a taste of its own medicine with Dark Void (unless you miss it of course)! While it may be tempting to lead with Ditto when you see a Deoxys-S, this is a very risky maneuver, because if Deoxys-S has Magic Coat, Ditto will lose. Ditto itself can help scout the opposing team by revealing its moveset, so leading with Ditto can help when the opponent leads with an unpredictable Pokemon such as Dialga.</p>

<p>Ditto's most common job is to revenge kill a variety of sweepers. Only attempt to revenge kill them though, because if Ditto switches in as the Pokemon sets up, Ditto won't get the boosts and is likely to lose! When it comes in to revenge killing, the most obvious choices (in most cases) are the many offensive Dragons that infest the Ubers metagame. Just make sure that they aren't carrying a Choice Scarf, or else you will have a 50% chance of losing your Ditto! Ditto is particularly effective at revenge killing frail sweepers such as Darkrai, Rayquaza, and Terrakion. For the more bulky sweepers such as Mewtwo, Latias, and Normal Arceus, you shouldn't just switch in Ditto right away, or it's terrible HP stat and Choice Scarf will let it down. Generally, Ditto will only be useful against these kinds of bulky sweepers when using it on a very offensive team. The idea is to hit these bulky Pokemon as hard as possible while they set up, damaging them enough to the point where Ditto can turn the tables on the situation. Finally, in emergency situations, Ditto can revenge SmashPass recipients, a quality that few Pokemon share, and a useful quality for offensive teams.</p>

<p>When Ditto is unlucky enough to be facing a stall team, there are still some ways to salvage it. One strategy is to try and take out their Ghost-type Pokemon. When the stall team loses their Ghost-type, then you can transform Ditto into their spinner, and get rid of their hazards. Additionally, when you really want Spikes up yourself, you can switch in on Ferrothorn or Skarmory to at least get one layer of Spikes up. Be warned though, the opponent can use this as a time to set up their Spikes too, so only do this when you think the extra damage Spikes cause will help you win the game.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP is the only important part of the EV spread here. This is so Ditto takes an odd amount of damage from entry hazards, allowing it to switch into 2 layers of Spikes 6 times, and 3 layers of Spikes 4 times. The rest of the spread is there for two very situational reasons. The first reason is to make Ditto as slow as possible. This is because in a rare Ditto vs Ditto situation, the slowest Ditto will always win the Struggle war. The second reason is in the rare case that both Ditto and Genesect come out at the same time; Ditto's higher defense won't boost Genesect's U-turn. Don't worry too much about the IVs, nature, and EVs in this case if you have a cart, because the only important part to soft reset for when trying to catch a good Ditto in Black 2 and White 2's Hidden Hollows is an HP IV of 31 or 30.</p>

<p>As much as Ditto loathes facing a stall team, it actually fits on them pretty well. Ditto's role as a sort of emergency check that can cause a dramatic turnabout in a match makes it a fairly useful Pokemon on stall teams, especially for its Darkrai revenging potential. Stall teams in turn help out Ditto with their entry hazards. This way, when a worn down sweeper tries to cut through your team, Ditto is more likely to save the day than normal!</p>

<p>When it comes to specific teammates, Ditto doesn't really have much to name. There are 3 teammates in particular that stand out though. Genesect and Ditto can team up to become a fantastic scouting and revenge killing duo. Genesect can often scare out sweepers such as Rayquaza, Darkrai, and Mewtwo, and then use U-turn as they switch out to Ditto to reveal the next Pokemon's moveset. Scizor is in a similar boat here, only it trades Genesect's Speed and coverage for Roost, Pursuit, and a strong Bullet Punch. Finally, Wobbuffet can be a fairly helpful teammate here. Wobbuffet can severely punish any sort of Pokemon that dares to set up, because now they'll be a free switch in for Ditto! However, many players will become even more paranoid about setting up than normal when they see both Wobbuffet and Ditto on the same team, so you can either use the opportunity to predict and crush the sweeper with Wobbuffet, or you can run Destiny Bond Wobbuffet if you are paranoid about predicting.</p>

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ditto's HP is not normally divisible by 8, so it seems highly odd to mention that 248 HP "allows" it to switch into SR 8 times. It only matters in the case of two or three layers of spikes (1/6 and 1/4 damage).

Furai

Ditto's HP is not normally divisible by 8, so it seems highly odd to mention that 248 HP "allows" it to switch into SR 8 times. It only matters in the case of two or three layers of spikes (1/6 and 1/4 damage).
Fixed in my CP, with GP by jc as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)