Ditto

Direcly from Smogon

Transforms into the target, copying its stats (except HP), moves (at 5 PP each), type, weight, and ability. The stats are copied exactly, without regard to EVs, IVs, and level. IVs of the target are copied for purposes of Hidden Power, as well. Transform copies the target's species, which means that DeapSeaScale, DeepSeaTooth, Light Ball, Metal Powder, Quick Powder, Soul Dew, and Thick Club activate only if the target is the correct species. Level is not copied, so a low level Pokemon does less damage than a high level Pokemon when using the same move (because the attacker's level is part of the damage formula).

Choice Band, Choice Scarf, and Choice Specs keep their boost upon Transforming. The Transforming Pokemon is allowed to select a new move.

If a Pokemon Transforms into Giratina-O, it will instantly revert to the altered forme of Giratina, as it is not holding the Griseous Orb item.

This means that the new ability will not copy your opponents scarf. Unfortunately, this means no revenge killing Scarf-Flygon.

To another note, I am disappointed that it doesn't copy HP, as such we can try to revenge bulky pokemon like CroCune and CurseLax because we cant OHKO them but they can OHKO us.
For flygon it doesn't need the speed boost. Because 3 things can happen

1. Switch in on EQ, your levitate makes EQ miss. He switches out now but you can use your new U-turn (wich flygon doesn't have U-turn), and take out an appropiate counter.

2. Switch in on outrage, whether transform copies opponents speed with or without choice-scarf your dead anyway.

3. Switch in on U-turn, you get transformed into flygon, take a NVE U-turn and have a scarf-flygon to play with for free, assuming you use scarf ditto.(especially nice if the opponents steels are dead). If you get the choice-scarf boost, great +2 speed flygon, if not. You won't be facing a speed tie due to U-turn.

4. Switch in on flygon using roost/fire-punch/stone-edge ect. All NVE moves, he's locked and you can use his roost to heal your ditto or use another attack for free. (again outrage if his steels are dead).

"The stats are copied exactly"

I don't see how you wouldn't copy the stat increase of the scarf as well
Because the scarf is calculated at the beginning of the turn and not when you switch in. As such transform ignores the items they are holding.

Even if Ditto uses a Choice Scarf, it still will only speed tie with the opponent's Pokemon if they use Dragon Dance on the turn Ditto switches in. Ditto will Trasform right as it is sent in and the opponent will get the DD off afterwards so Ditto won't copy the boosts. To me, using Ditto still seems really gimicky but it would probably be best used against Calm Mind/Curse Pokemon since it will copy the Def boosts as well. Ditto's HP is still really low, so it probably won't be able to take many hits even with the boosts.
You are looking at it wrong. Dont think of ditto as a switch in, think of Ditto as a revenge killer. Lets say you are up against DD mence, you dont switch ditto in against it; you sac a pokemon then ditto stops mence from sweeping the rest of your team. He is like Flygon, a revenge killer and not a switch in.

Someone needs to test if the ability works once when you switch in, or keeps working against every new threat. I really hope it works only once..

Someone needs to test if the ability works once when you switch in, or keeps working against every new threat. I really hope it works only once..
As soon as you transform you loose the eccentric ability till you switch out again. If you switch in on gyarados watterfall it should (hope) be like this.

Switch in ditto
Ditto's eccentric transformed it into gyarados
Ditto's intimidate lowered opponents gyarados's attack
Gyarados used waterfall, it did puny damage.
Ditto (holding scarf) uses stone-edge
Enemy gyarados fainted.

When you switch out, it becomes ditto again, and can redo this trick against an other pokemon.

And yes against a lot of pokemon it should revenge. But there are also pokemon against who(m?) it can switch in, take an extra boost in the form of moterdrive/volt-absorb ect. And force the opponent out or KO them.

EDIT: also when transforming into certain pokemon with stealthrock weaknesses. It only takes 12.5% damage. Imagine in Uubers ditto Ho-oH with no stealthrock weakness.

You are looking at it wrong. Dont think of ditto as a switch in, think of Ditto as a revenge killer. Lets say you are up against DD mence, you dont switch ditto in against it; you sac a pokemon then ditto stops mence from sweeping the rest of your team. He is like Flygon, a revenge killer and not a switch in.
You shouldn't have to let a Pokemon faint before you revenge kill your opponent. I suppose you could just go with switching a Steel into the DD and switch Ditto in on the Fire Blast/Earthquake that you either resist or are immune to, though.

I do like the idea that it will work like Trace and and could allow you to auto-Intimidate some Pokemon and the letting a Pokemon get 6 DDs up and sweeping their team sounds interesting. However, they'll probably be wise to this strategy and not do it unless you hit them with Encore.

Man, who would have thought that such a minor change could so drastically alter a Pokemon? I'd like to see some evidence of whether it copies Choice item boosts or not, and to confirm it does copy stats boosted via Dragon Dance/Agility/etc, because something about "Scarf Ditto outspeeds everything" is a little hard to believe. This thing could change the entire way offensive teams are played, and would make a crazy addition to a modified stall team (play stall, opponent finds a chance to set up and woops you have Ditto to come in and reverse the sweep).

this thing will be the best scout ever. You can essentially learn your opponent's whole team just by creatively switching in and out with this. So much information!

I'm curious as to what would happen if you switched ditto in to a zoroark that's pretending to be someone else...
And what if you have ditto second in your team and you send out zoroark?

YEah, great stuff. Revenge killing is nice and this is FAR BEYOND gimmicky. IMO, the main selling point of Ditto is that it is the ultimate scout. Ever wondered if this Blissey carries Ice Beam? Just switch into it and you know. How great is that?

Man, who would have thought that such a minor change could so drastically alter a Pokemon? I'd like to see some evidence of whether it copies Choice item boosts or not, and to confirm it does copy stats boosted via Dragon Dance/Agility/etc, because something about "Scarf Ditto outspeeds everything" is a little hard to believe. This thing could change the entire way offensive teams are played, and would make a crazy addition to a modified stall team (play stall, opponent finds a chance to set up and woops you have Ditto to come in and reverse the sweep).
Well since normal transform copies stat boosts I see no reason why eccentric woudn't... Plus the fact that ditto can never use transform anymore since autotransform goes first before it can use a move (or last in wich case the ability doesn't work since ditto's only attack is transform. The one cancels the other out)

Man, if all of this is accurate, Ditto sure came along way.

From a joke in 1st Gen, to the international Pimp of 2nd-4th Gen. While his breeding capabilities will still be used, The little guy might actually make a non-gimmicky niche for itself on the battlefield.

I'm curious as to what would happen if you switched ditto in to a zoroark that's pretending to be someone else...
And what if you have ditto second in your team and you send out zoroark?
Well for the zoroark with ditto 2nd in your party you'd come in as a ditto and (since you didn't transform turn 1) It'd look really stupid and they would know you're zoroark.

As for ditto vs zoroark I'd guess that ditto would copy zoroark's stats and then illusion would kick in forcing ditto to turn into the 2nd person in your party.

So if it was zoroark disguised as a azlef vs a eccentric ditto you would turn into zoroark then turn into whatever your 2nd party (lets say lucario) member is since you would copy zoroark's illusion ability.

So you would be a ditto disguised as a zoroark, disguised as a lucario XD

Well for the zoroark with ditto 2nd in your party you'd come in as a ditto and (since you didn't transform turn 1) It'd look really stupid and they would know you're zoroark.

As for ditto vs zoroark I'd guess that ditto would copy zoroark's stats and then illusion would kick in forcing ditto to turn into the 2nd person in your party.

So if it was zoroark disguised as a azlef vs a eccentric ditto you would turn into zoroark then turn into whatever your 2nd party (lets say lucario) member is since you would copy zoroark's illusion ability.

So you would be a ditto disguised as a zoroark, disguised as a lucario XD
Or limber ditto, LOL.

You shouldn't have to let a Pokemon faint before you revenge kill your opponent.
Yes you should, that's the definition of "Revenge kill" as in "get revenge for the fainted pokemon". You seem to be complaining that ditto is not a counter to every pokemon in existence which is stupid because that would be ridiculously broken.

I love this. Ditto could become the most powerful revenge killer in the game. Imagine a world where locking yourself into Outrage not only puts you at risk for being revenge killed but also COUNTER SWEPT BY A PISSED OFF DITTO.

If this turns out to be mis-translated.. I'll cry.

I've been trying to think of other ways to use ditto that doesn't involve a lock on moves. The only other option I can really think of is leftovers, it would allow the same revenge killing ability but would leave completely to chance, however it also gives you the ability to copy walls much nicer.

Guess it's all up to whether the person is willing to take the risk or not

Can anyone else think of other item options?

Honestly, while some people might see this as a gimmick, it is incredibly viable-possibly the best ability of Gen V. I hope Quick Powder is still an item in Gen V, because then you can outrun any Pokemon you face. Ditto vs. Azelf, Ditto vs. Swampert, Ditto vs. Heatran, these are all matchups he wins easily as a lead. As a revenge killer, that Salamence or Garchomp can be easily revenged. Defensively, it can switch into Blissey, copy Natural Cure, and force it out while scouting its moveset. This thing pretty much has infinite uses, and I'm really looking forward to testing it.

Honestly, while some people might see this as a gimmick, it is incredibly viable-possibly the best ability of Gen V. I hope Quick Powder is still an item in Gen V, because then you can outrun any Pokemon you face. Ditto vs. Azelf, Ditto vs. Swampert, Ditto vs. Heatran, these are all matchups he wins easily as a lead. As a revenge killer, that Salamence or Garchomp can be easily revenged. Defensively, it can switch into Blissey, copy Natural Cure, and force it out while scouting its moveset. This thing pretty much has infinite uses, and I'm really looking forward to testing it.
Ditto that Transforms can not use Quick Powder or Metal Powder any more as he is no longer a Ditto.

Ditto that Transforms can not use Quick Powder or Metal Powder any more as he is no longer a Ditto.
Are you sure? Because in Gen IV when you used the move Transform Ditto was able to retain its effect.

EDIT: Nvm, just checked the on-site description. It doesn't keep the effect. -_-

Do we have a full list of items (with effects)? becuase a muscle band/wise glasses for speed is all that ditto really needs.

EDIT: quick powder posts ninja'd me, that needs testing.

Are you sure? Because in Gen IV when you used the move Transform Ditto was able to retain its effect.

EDIT: Nvm, just checked the on-site description. It doesn't keep the effect. -_-
No, in gen IV it didn't boost after the transform. HOWEVER, they might change it so that a transformed pokemon (so mew included after transform), gets the boost. That would switching into a dragon dance no problem anymore, neither choice-scarf opponents (if transform doesn't copy choice-scarf boost). But I think that would be a little to much to ask.

EDIT: Plus the fact that you aren't locked in a move... It won't happen.

But I wonder if gamefreak had this in mind when they came up with eccentric. At least this is how ditto was meant to be used. (at least I always wanted to use it this way since gen 1, but the set-up turn made it impossible).

I wonder how this would work for swimming goggles. If Swimming Goggles Ditto comes in on Gyara, does it fall asleep, or does it transform and get the speed boost?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)