Do you ever get the urge to look up something from your childhood?

Let's get one thing straight: I loved DBZ as a kid and was a huge fan. Currently I am watching Dragonball Kai and enjoying it.

That said though, I find it hard to take a situation seriously when a guy named Sky Carrot (who's main rival is Vegetable) is yelling "Chestnut! Take Rice and run away from Cream! Keep an eye out for Butter, Yogurt, Cheese, and Milk too!" while fighting someone that sounds like he never graduated from grammar school.
Dragonball was a shonen anime that was action based but it was no way intended to be a comedy or "gag manga". Yeah, he obviously intended an element of humor with the names as it is ridiculous if a warrior planet has a bunch of vegetable named people, but at the same time, it's not all that uncommon to see odd object names as protagonist names in manga/anime. Dragonball just took it to an extreme.

For example, during the fight with Cell, when the news crew is still filming it during the early rounds, the different members of the news crew hear them hear them yelling "Gohan" and mention something along the lines of "I think they're talking about rice." This is one instance where it was made obvious they were making a joke (this part may have been filler, I'm not quite sure), but if the whole show was humor, why wouldn't outside characters like these make all sorts of these types of remarks and not wait until near the end of the show.

tl;dr: It was a joke put into the show, not an attempt to make the show a comedy sketch. Waiting for someone like Chou to intervene.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Let's not forget where Dragonball Z came from, the immensely funny Dragonball. I would say it was more of a comedy, like Kung Fu Hustle. Dragonball Z was serious business, and I don't like it as much to be honest.

holy crap I read the wiki article about Ducky's VA... that's just terrible. her mother should have taken her daughter and left that psycho :/

Hijacking this thread into a ruining your childhood thread.

Dragonball Z was originally intended to be a comedy. Most of the characters names were of vegetables or other ridiculous things. Goku's last name, Kakarott, meant carrot. Vegeta meant vegetable. Raditz meant radish.

Be warned, the list will completely kill any level of seriousness that the show ever held with you.

Theme - Vegetables:
» Bardock = Dock (A Root Veggie)
» Broly = Broccolli
» Kakarot = Carrot
» Nappa = Type of Cabbage
» Panbukin = Pumpkin
» Paragus = Asparagus
» Raditz = Radish
» Seripa = Parsley
» Turles = Turnip
» Toma = Tomato
» Totepo = Potato
» Vegeta = Vegetable
Theme - Fruits:
» Appule = Apple
»
Blue Berry = Blue Berry
»
Dodoria = Chinese Gooseberry
» Kiwi = Kiwi
» Rasberry = Rasberry
» Tuffle = Fruit
» Zarbon = Pomelo
Theme - Foods & Drinks:
» Chiaotzu = Dumpling
» Chi-Chi = Breast
» Pilaf = Sauteed, Seasoned Rice
» Gohan = Rice
» Krillin = Chestnut
» Launch = Lunch
» Marron = French Chestnut
» Oolong = Type of Tea
» Pan = Bread
» Puar = Chinese Tea
»
Shu & Mai = (When Combined) is a Dim Sum Dish
» Tienshinhan = Fried Rice
» Yamcha = Dim Sum
Theme - Dairy Products:
» Burter = Butter
» Ginyu = Milk
» Guldo = Yogurt
» Jeise = Cheese
» Ricoome = Cream
Theme - Instruments:
» Drum = A Drum
» Piano = A Piano
» Piccolo = A Type of Flute
» Cymbol = A Symbol
» Tambourine = A Tambourine
Theme - Underwear:
» Bulla = A Bra
» Bulma = Bloomers
» Dr. Briefs = Briefs
» Trunks = Boxers
Theme - Other:
» Buu = Bibidi, Babidi, Buu
» Cargo = Escargo
» Cell = A Cell
» Cooler = Cooler
» Dende - Snail (If an N is added to the End)
» Frieza = Freezer or Freezing
» Goku = Sky or Emptiness
» Goten = Air, Heaven
» Jackie Chun = Jackie Chan
» Kai = God
» King Kold = Cold
» Mr. Satan = Satan
» Nail = A Nail
» Shenron = Dragon God
» Slug = A Slug
» Videl = Devil (Scrambled)

Also Goku in the Japanese version is voiced by a woman.
I thought that was all really common knowledge........... nothing too shocking there. Even the anime went with that naming scheme by having a villain named Garlic, and his henchmen all named after spices lol.

I don't care who wins so long as it's not pronounced like the Lion King Simon. That is just dumb.
who pronounces Simon as if it rhymes with Timon? Wouldn't that make it Simone, a female name?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)