Does your name have a special meaning?

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Simple question, although the answer can have many levels.

Basically, is there any special reason why you're named the way you are?
  • For example, are you named after someone else in your family (say, you're Tim Jones IV)?
  • Or maybe you're named after someone from the "media" (for example, Colby)?
  • Or maybe whoever named you looked at the calendar and said "Hey! Today's the day of Saint X! Let's name the kid X!"?
  • Or maybe you're named after someone not related to you who passed away (like in that movie, I believe it was The Patriot)?
  • Or maybe your parents named you in such way wishing you to "grow healthy and warmhearted"?
  • Or maybe someone (probably even random) said "I like the name Y" and everyone else simply said "OK" (probably giving your name little meaning, if any)?
You do not require to give us your real name.

Michael Jon

My dad's first name is Jon and his middle name is Michael so my parents switched them around to come up with my name. It's not the most creative but I like it.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was never given a chance at birth. Thus, I was named Taylor.

I asked my Dad (as I don't live with my Mother) a few years back, and he said that together they had spent a very long time trying to find a suitable (good job there!) name for me. They had ideas, and I must admit that I prefered some of them to Taylor; Liam and Luke were amongst a dozen of them. Remembering correctly, I think they had contemplated calling me nearly every name in the book before making a final decision. They eventually came to an agreement.

But to answer your question, is "heat of the moment" relative to any of the given options? Maybe I would've been called "Harry" (oh lord...) the following day just because "Taylor" didn't strike through their mind that particular day. It was a casual, yet random choice.

I really like Taylor as a first name.

My parents decided to go with Joe, after Joseph Campbell, nothing amazing. However I am pleased they decided to go with it, as the main other option was Alistair.

norulz

excellent
Tiago Carneiro.

My parents named me after James, the apostle (which in Portuguese translates to "Tiago.")

As for Carneiro, it's my family's last name, which can be translated to "Sheep."

I was never given a chance at birth. Thus, I was named Taylor.
Nobody really is eh? Otherwise I'd choose Alexander.

Is there a better sounding name than Alexander? Seriously it's a kickass name!

Oh and by the way I was very close to being called Alexander after "Alexander the Great." I guess I was unfortunate....

Randall Bradley

Randall - my grandfathers nick name was Randy, which is the name I usually go by, and my father's middle name was Randall. The real reason was because my grandfather died about a few months before I was born so I was given that name.

Bradley - My father's best friends middle name. It actually means something to me because he was close to our family and just recently died. I really gave no meaning to my middle name tbh until his death.. now it actually means something to me.

I was named a completely random name, as far as I know.I don't really like my name but it's not that bad either.

I couldn't think of any name I would prefer over this one, although I do think a lot about the names I would give my children (if I am ever going to have children).

I'm named after my dad. Robert McDonough Jr. I really don't like the fact that I'm a jr. but at the same time I've come to love the name Robert. i don't think I will name my son that though. I'm a David fan personally.

The name is Edward Valle. I really like my first name because it means rich and joyful in old English. As for my last name, it means valley in Spanish. So I guess I'm a joyful valley =D

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ehh, my name is Navin.

I don't know or give a shit what my last name means, but I know that Navin means "new" in the Tamil language, which I know none of.

Personally, I love my name. It's nice and easy to pronounce, unlike most brown names. No 'e' sounds or stuff like that. It's pronounced exactly how it's spelled. Nav-in.

Heh, I don't know what I would've named myself as a baby if I had the chance, because I don't know many guy names that I like. I'm more into girl names.

I love having the nickname Navster though, it makes me sound hip.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Otherwise I'd choose Alexander.

Oh and by the way I was very close to being called Alexander after "Alexander the Great." I guess I was unfortunate....
That's my name, so be jealous. ;)

I really don't know why my Dad called me that. All I know is that it was only my Dad who decided on the name.

Luke Allen, as many of you know. "Luke" comes from Luke the Evangelist (the dude in the bible), while "Allen" is my father's middle name as well. I don't know where his middle name came from, though.

My father and I share the same initials (BRT) and have the same first name. When I was born, they were looking for a middle name that was unique and started with R. They eventually named me after the main character of "The Fountainhead", Harold Roarke.

My parents chose my name (Daniel, obviously enough) for no reason other than that they liked it, as far as I know. I like my name, although it seems like every other person I meet is named Daniel. Either way, I just consider myself lucky my parents chose it over some of the other names they were considering, because apparently my mom wanted to call me Lorenzo or Jean-Carlo or something ridiculous and Italian, because I'm part Italian, which would have been wierd since I don't look Italian or speak the language at all.

My mom had her friend name me (lol); he chose Michael based on the fact that Michael was the most popular name in 1990 or something along those lines. Quite original.

My middle name is Jordan, because it had a nice ring. She was unaware at the time who Michael Jordan even was too...

My first/last name combination is the most common used combo in my city (or possibly even Canada) not counting immigrants with names like Mohammad Ahmed.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I'm pretty sure I was named after a spanish singer my mom liked, so I was named Alan. I guess it's ok lol

Nobody really is eh? Otherwise I'd choose Alexander.

Wow that is my name, and my parents actually did name me after Alexander the Great. I never really liked the name, Alexander. I really don't know why... But maybe someday I will live up to it and Conquer the Earth.

Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was named Gabriel after the angel, which I grew to love as I read more about the mythology behind Gabriel the Arch-Angel. Angel of Death ftw.

Also wierd, the combination of my first and last names, Gabriel Trevino, is like one of the most common mexican names in Texas apparantly. I felt very un-unique.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Thanks to the internet I found my name means "Son of right hand" in Hebrew. Despite that I wasn't given it for any particular reason other than both my parents had it on their list of suitable names.

Last name is literally just "Son of" itself. Probably has some other meaning but I can't be bothered finding it right now.

Ahh my name, countless times I have delved into the mystical elements of name giving

First Name: Kyle - Meaning a stirp of land - My mother chose this name because of my Grandparents moved to a place called Kyle of Lochalsh, and also because she had a crush on the guy from Terminator (only found this out the other week)

Middle Name: Andrew - Meaning Brave - My father chose this after the patron saint of Scotland, I was glad I didn't inherit the family name of John here so yeah

Last Name: Neil - Meaning Champion - Is a deriviation from the MacNeil clan in Scotland who were also closely related to the Stuarts (In fact James I King of England is an ancestor of mine :P)

So there you have it Strip of Land Brave Champion or the childish name calling I used to recieve when someone found out my initials.

KAN he do it, Yes he KAN!

Ciutef is the Hispanization of the name of Aztec Fire God Xiuhtecuhtli, I only made it easier to pronunciate basically by swapping the "Cuhtli" by an "F"

Eh, my name is Luciano, or Luke for short. I come from one of those Greek families that names each kid after his grandpa and his middle name after his dad. So my son's middle name will ge Luciano and his name will be George. It really makes me pissy when people call me Lucas, though.

Heh, my whole name is only six letters long: Ina Hsu. I have no middle name.

I can't find "Ina" in most name dictionaries, but a friend of mine from a long time ago told me that it meant "mirror" in Hindi. I've also heard that it's either of Latin or Irish origin and means "mother." There's no apparent reason as why my parents named me "Ina," though. My mom told me once that it was because my dad is a huge fan of Einstein, so he wanted to name me "Ina" and my brother "Stan" so our named together sounded vaguely like "Einstein." (So geeky, I know. Fortunately, my brother ended up being named "Joey"- not "Joseph.") "Hsu" is Chinese, of course. I think roughly means "to promise."

My name is Mai-Ann Leilani Burns. The first name is a corruption of the Vietnamese "mai anh" (or something of the sort) which means "cherry blossom". My middle name stemmed from when my parents and I lived in Hawaii when I was barely a year old; it means "child of the flower" (again, something of the sort). And of course, all these cutesy-pootsy flowers give fuel to my Scottish last name. :3

If I could've picked my own name, I would have chosen Fiona. Has a nice little ring to it. Therefore, if I have a gal I'll name her that, but if it's a guy I'm thinking about naming him Julian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)