DotA

Current Patch: .71

Smogon DotA Players

DotA, or Defense of the Ancients, is a mod of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. I highly recommend it to...just about anyone. It's just an amazing game, which has arguably become more popular than the game in which it is a modification of. It's kind of a big deal. Millions of people play it. I myself do, and so do some friends at school. If you've even heard of Warcraft III, you'll love this.

I think it would be really cool to have a Smogon DotA tournament. I'm not sure if there are enough people interested in signing up though, as DotA teams require 5 people. Even so, I'm putting the word out that if there are enough people interested, I'll manage the tournament's organization. A reliably host is needed though, as my internet connection is far too slow to host a relatively lag-free game.

Also DotA 2 is in the works, and it looks promising. I know I'm not the only one who can't wait for this game.

I played Dota for about 3 years but then HoN came out and I just ended up getting that. I loooove the game. LoL never appealed to me though.

I wouldn't mind contending in a small DotA tourny, but I am screwed on time due to school/work.

Playing dota for over 4 years now, and i still love it. i mostly play on bnet with friends, but venture out to garena every now and then. Any europeans up for some games?

When I played DotA, I mained a few... Tiny, Pit Lord, Undying (I really missed the old Undying), Tinker, Rhasta, Brew Master, Viper, and Venomancer. I actually pretty much played everyone, with the exception of a few agi carry heroes, because I really get bored of carry heroes, namely Drow, Mort, and stuff like that.

In the transition that I made to HoN, although I play every, when I started I pretty much stuck with Tiny (pebbles), Rhasta (pollywog priest), Venomancer (Slither). A lot of my favorite heroes didn't get converted though, although now I use Necrolyte (soul stealer) and Bristleback (Armadon) a whole lot more.

If we can get enough people I may consider putting WC3 on my computer again and getting on GArena.

Man i love DotA, been playing for a year or so, due to some weird stuff i can't play on Bnet, so i use garena and Dotalicius gaming, which is in my opinion the BEST CLIENT FOR DOTA.

For favorite hero i have to say Gyrocopter, i love ganking, aoe and semi-carrying, because farming for an entire game is boring as hell (Dusa).

I kind of quit before a bunch of heroes were introduced... Gyrocopter, Wisp, Thrall, Eredar, Slark, Kaldr... all new to me. last thing I saw that was when I was playing was Bat Rider.

First new hero I ever saw though was Puck I think. Or who ever was before him.

i prefer LoL because it has a less confusing interface but i do play this with friends from school from time to time. i use vengeful spirit and skeleton king

also i have garena if you guys ever want a game

Ive only got bored aussies which is the australian server. I really like slardar (or pestilence in HoN). Yea so i doubt ill be playimg any games. I dont know why but i prefer LoL in general though. Its eventually just going to boil down to who makes the best standalone dota game, Guinsoo and riot, icefrog and valve or s2.

I don't play as often as I use to, but I still play from time to time. I need to find an active semi-competitive league since the B.Net ones are pretty much dead (until DotA 2 comes out).

I played for a year or so awhile ago, I stopped around when Batrider came out.

I only played with pubbies on b-net, which is why I stopped, games never actually played out until the end.

I love casting heros like dirge and pretty much every int hero.

6.71 is released.

Not many changes, mostly balance, although the new bloodbath and manaleak are interesting (i believe mana leak actually was restored to how it used to be). Blur hiding you on the minimap is also a huge pain.

I've been playing on garena for like 3 years now. I mainly play in High Level Rooms since you will get reported 90% of the time and banned from them if you leave from a game (as of this year, you get banned from all HLR rooms regardless of which one you had left from), so there are a lot less leavers than in any other rooms, but there still are...

I seriously hope Icefrog will do something about an anti-leave system in DotA 2, as leavers are what ruin most games.

Used to play in in-house and clanwars longer ago, which were obviously a lot more fun than pubs, and you could actually trust your allies. Unfortunately my irl friends, classmates, and clan consisting of internet friends had all stopped playing.

In pubs I obviously hate playing tanks/initiators, as I can't trust the randoms I get as allies (not even in HLR rooms) to go in right when I initiate. So generally I either die while they do nothing, or I don't go in first, then they die instead. Plus I hate not really being able to do anything myself as STR if the opponent team has Naix and/or Slark. Not a fan of playing support heroes either as I generally don't trust my allies to carry.

So I play carries or nukers all the time. I can play a really mean orbwalking Viper and he's my best hero since the addition of Aghanim for his ulti (the casting range and cd buffs it gives are fucking huge; and remember that the slow goes through BKB), so only Aghanim and BKB need to be rushed for him to be able to carry. Other heroes I pick when I really want to win: Mortred, QoP, Invoker, Bloodseeker, Trax, Lion, Luna.

btw 6.57 and before era dota was the best imo.

I'd be up for playing with you guys, but I can only play on garena.

the only way to reduce the amount of leavers is to do the same as hon and lol:

I havent played HoN for a longer period, but I think you had some kind of leaver percentage. If you left more than it was "allowed", you weren't able to play a majority of the games.

LoL bans you for a given time, if you leave more than you should, as far as I know.

But I'm sure Dota 2 will include something against the dozens of leavers.

Also the biggest change in 6.71 is probably Gem now having a 6 minute buying cooldown per team. It will be a lot tougher now to deal with teams with more invis heroes, whereas until now it was retarded to pick more than 1 invis hero per team. If they can smash the Gem within 6 minutes during late-game, they'll have a long enough timing window to do a lot of damage and potentially win it right there.

Also the biggest change in 6.71 is probably Gem now having a 6 minute buying cooldown per team. It will be a lot tougher now to deal with teams with more invis heroes, whereas until now it was retarded to pick more than 1 invis hero per team. If they can smash the Gem within 6 minutes during late-game, they'll have a long enough timing window to do a lot of damage and potentially win it right there.

Why in the hell was that a good idea? What the heck? That is one change I really don't get.

Thing is, Icefrog balances the game after the competitive scene (which also explains why most carries that are unused outside of pubs, like TB, Troll, Lycan, etc., and now Mortred, constantly get desperately buffed so they'd actually get used by progamers as well), where invis heroes (other than NA, who is a permaban anyway, and Mirana's ulti) and Lothar don't see as much use.

At least Weaver's Time Lapse shouldn't fucking dispell Dust Of Appearance.

Blur hiding you on the minimap is also a huge pain.
I think that is less of a deal, as with shadows turned on in options, you can still easily see her on the main map; the much bigger buff is Blur telling you just in time if you're about to get ganked while farming in the forest / on a lane, or if you're in range of someone to gank. I've already got accused of having mh today by people who hadn't read the changelogs and couldn't believe Blur got such a huge buff.

Thing is, Icefrog balances the game after the competitive scene (which also explains why most carries that are unused outside of pubs, like TB, Troll, Lycan, etc., and now Mortred, constantly get desperately buffed so they'd actually get used by progamers as well), where invis heroes (other than NA, who is a permaban anyway, and Mirana's ulti) and Lothar don't see as much use.

At least Weaver's Time Lapse shouldn't fucking dispell Dust Of Appearance.

I think that is less of a deal, as with shadows turned on in options, you can still easily see her on the main map; the much bigger buff is Blur telling you just in time if you're about to get ganked while farming in the forest / on a lane, or if you're in range of someone to gank. I've already got accused of having mh today by people who hadn't read the changelogs and couldn't believe Blur got such a huge buff.

I never played in the major competitive scene, but I played more... higher end pub games, I guess. When THR was big on bnet, I played with them pretty much all the time, and I remember I got my ranking up pretty high. That being said, invis heroes were assholes, mostly Phantom Lancer, NA, or of course, the smart Riki Players (night hound for us HoN players). And then you have that jack ass Gondar beast. And by the time you DID buy a gem, those invis heroes were generally buff enough to rip you a new one and just destroy it anyways.

But then again, most of the time, I would figure that would be the fault of whoever was laning with said invis heroes, not calling MIA's, keeping the pressure on them from farming, and not last hitting well enough. NA who is probably one of the biggest Asshole gankers... If who ever is laning with him forgets to call MIA's and he gets farmed for that, its trouble for everyone for mid game.

Edit: On an unrelated note, I emailed Ice frog a couple years ago about silencer. Silencer was a piece of shit. Literally the worst silencing hero in the game (despite his name), weak, slow, no get away, and has glaives in which everyone tries to carry with him. When I proposed all these issues I had with the hero and brought up comparisons and points which Silencer was no where near as good as other heroes, Ice Frog responded, and I discussed it with him a bit.

The next patch, he ended up buffing silencer, making him MUCH MUCH better. I was so relieved to see him actually take in my examination and buff Silencer... and after that, he actually gave him a few more minor buffs as the patches went on. I don't know how good he is now in Dota... but in HoN, although he isn't top used, he is one awesome hero.

This is a dota thread, stop using HoN, Heroes of Newerth or anything asociated to it please. It sucks and is full of assholes.

As for the morty gank protection, I didnt even think of that yet, but It can be very usefull, although it won't always suffice when your allready laning vs a hero, you wont immediatly notice it. Maybe when jungling i suppose. The Gem cooldown is pretty big, but I'd guess dust and sentrys will just be usefull enough in passing those 6 minutes.

I still think bloodbath is the most interesting change though, as it will be so much easier for stryggy to stay in top shape during ganking

I think bloodseeker's buff was more because of people raging about some idiot ks'ing at a tower when they are in red, fucking zeus.

Also am i the only one that thinks that IF hates gondar and dirge?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)