Lower Tiers Doubles OU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
fam we can't disagree people think we're alts of each other lmao

but

No, Azu is only good with these options. If we were to ban follow me and rage powder tomorrow you would see an insane decrease in azumarill use, while as almost every other top tier mon would still be sitting right where it is. It's simply only good if provided the ample amounts support it requires. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, as most teams appreciate redirection and fake out whether they have azumarill or not, but no other mon relies so much on it as azu does.
azu isn't shit without redirection. it can still set up on the mons I mentioned right below...

(and it can set up on his own in front of -1 lando, -2 latios, heatran, rachi, etc.),
...along with other mons like keldeo and hydra because of the water / fairy typing.

redirection doesn't make azu good, it makes it better

Azumarill to Tier 1 :D

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Azu is not tier 1. Read the freaking description.

Pokemon that have a good matchup vs a large portion of the metagame, are either quite powerful or offer great team support, and can fit on almost any team. You can't really go wrong by using these Pokemon.

None of those statements are true. 1 v 1 Azu loses to an awful lot of the metagame. It's powerful, but not any more powerful than many other Pokemon because it doesn't generally have an item boost and it also generally doesn't have a powerful STAB, since people forgo Play Rough for Knock Off these days. It doesn't offer much of any support, unless you count priority as support, which I don't. And it definitely doesn't fit on every team.

It's a set-up sweeper. A very good one. But nothing more.

Azu is also not Tier 1.5 if we read the description

Pokemon that are generally strong, but can be dead weight in some matchups, don't have great matchups vs a lot of Tier 1, or are only particularly useful for checking a certain team style.

I don't see a matchup where Azumarill is dead weight unless it's discharge spam which is a ladder gimmick and not used in tour play. It has good matchups against Tier 1 pokemon, it OHKOs every pokemon at +6 (which isn't hard to to) and even if it's not at +6, it still has a positive matchup against Aegislash, Mega Diancie, Heatran, Jirachi, Landorus-T, and Volcanion. (6/12) You can also potentially include things like Talonflame and Mega Kangaskhan after an intimiadate bumping it to 8/12 or 66%. Azumarill also fits on most teams since Fake Out, Redirection, and Speed Control are common in the metagame which help Azumarill a lot.

1 v 1 Azu loses to an awful lot of the metagame.
I think this statement is flawed in the way that this is doubles, there is no 1 v 1. Azumarill will always have a partner with it, such as Jirachi, Amoonguss, Intimidaters, etc. that ease the bad matchups.

Furthermore, I believe Azumarill is very powerful as it can reach 1744 attack in one turn, and you can't deny that Belly Drum isn't the hardest thing to do.

Azu actually has excellent defensive typing and can serve as a nice offensive complement, too, so I find myself adding azu on a few teams. Azumarill doesn't always have to be a BD set, either. A CB, AV, or a LO set can be cash depending on the team's build and requires less support. However if your team already has the tools to set up BD (fake out, redirection) then why not recruit azumarill?
I actually did have a team where I had Azu as the last mon added, I built Gardevoir/Jirachi/Heatran/Thundurus/Landorus-T for my never played DPL Bonus game with Stax (which I then gave to Dawg and he beat Stax with so I technically won that game) and added Azu on the end since it seemed to compliment the team and give it extra wincons.

Also yea 2' is gone so now its a little different
I'm going to quote Pocket and Sam again because these quotes show that Azumarill can fit on a broad application of teams.

While Azumarill might not 100% fit the Tier 1 description, it definitely fits it better then the Tier 1.5 description.

Azumarill to Tier 1 :D

Last edited:

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Like greengogoattt pointed out, you really shouldn't evaluate pokemon based on 1v1 matchups because that's highly impractical. It's mostly the reason I suggested to demote gengar. Sure gengar beats kang 1 on 1, but when does that ever happen lol

Support the Azu raise to 1, just because it needs a BD to work doesn't mean it's not tier defining

Support the talon drop to 1.5 , good mon but just not on the same level as other mons in 1

Support cress to stay or rise, cm icy wind is good as heck, not much else to say, just that i disagree with it being a momentum suck.

Sylveon should rise to 1.5 because it's really good I guess? I'm on my phone and don't want to type v much but it kills everything and belongs with the other 1.5s like kyub/hoopa/hydrei and not with baddies like terrak/salamence/rotomh

Other than those I agree with pretty much all of checks noms and also gengar & Latios to 2 seems reasonable.

Edit: lol bisharp is so bad drop please

Last edited:
both of those teams feature both Fake Out and redirection
i.e they have a kangaskhan and a jirachi or an amoongus, literally what most Kang teams have. This is super bare support.

Azumarill - Tier 1
I don't buy the idea that "needs belly drum, therefore shouldn't be tier 1".

"Pokemon that have a good matchup vs a large portion of the metagame":
After 1 turn ohkos any of tier 1.

Are either quite powerful:
After 1 turn ohkos any of tier 1.

Or offer great team support:

This is an incredibly underrated point. Offering offensive pressure which forces leads and your opponent to preserve win conditions is team support.

And can fit on almost any team. You can't really go wrong by using these Pokemon:
This is confirmed, any team with minimalistic support is benefited by having azumarill.

If you think having a redirector on your team is a big deal, you probably don't make very good teams

Eventually you have to realise by not pushing azumarill up to tier 1 or talonflame down to tier 1.5 you are literally contending that talonflame ticks these boxes better.

Talonflame Tier 1.5
"Pokemon that have a good matchup vs a large portion of the metagame":

Is ohkoed by every mon in tier 1 (barring redirectors) ohkos 1. OHKOS 0 WHILST INTIMIDATED.

Are either quite powerful:
upload_2016-8-16_23-48-13.png

Or offer great team support:

Arguable, talonflame has a wide range of support options, but negates this by being ohkoed.

And can fit on almost any team. You can't really go wrong by using these Pokemon:
Fits easily on hyper offensive teams. Struggles to fit on any charizard teams, teams that actually would like to have defensive switching synergy.
Has poor synergy with common pokemon, often prevents the use of Better fire types, and is Impossible to switch in.

checkmater75 just a note, it's super convenient to put in usage stats to support talonflame being in tier 1, but it would make a whole lot more sense to provide stats regarding how many games it wins [and is used in for] top 32/16/8/4/2 of Seasonals or other such tournaments. Talonflame is a very bottom ended Pokemon, it is used far less in the most successful teams.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Diancie->3

Amazing TR setter, people usually run at most 1(?) rock resist, me and yoda are cumulative 8-4 in tours and we both got haxed to shit a lot while STILL winning (yes, I literally looked through every recent doubles replay of both of us and did a tally). Deserves 3 at least, I'd argue 2 because it's just so spectacular as a semiroom setter and as a fullroom setter.

Avoiding Intimidate is amazing for TR sweepers. Its spread physical rock coverage does big damage and at least 2hkos every single neutral hit.
also this is true af diancie is ca$h

tho check is scum. S C U M

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Dawgie

"Utilizes belly drum so can't be Tier 1" is stupid reasoning but you can't just ignore the weaknesses that having to spend a turn Belly Drumming exposes you to, and the consequent bulk that Azu loses.

You utilize the "after 1 turn" clause a lot. That's like anywhere from 1/8 to 1/16th of a game. Probably losing a mon to get that to happen, and only getting setup, not killing things yet. There are lots of games where due to some slipup or Jirachi flinches azu goes below 50% and then it just sits there doing nothing or trying to Ajet a Kangaskhan down or something. Yeah sure +6 ajets hit harder than Talonflame's Bbird but Talon gets to attack the first turn it's out and it's a faster priority while also being a better offensive typing. The implication that azu's priority is better than Talon's doesn't hold water.

Petty teambuilding jab aside, the point of saying "You have to have Fake Out or redirection" isn't just focused on trying to say that team options are rather gimped but that if you try to setup Azu without your partner at that very moment being one of the two (fake out vs spread, fm vs two single target hitters) you're not getting to set up. It's just not going to happen, unless your opponent has Azumarill bait: the team.

Azu's also impossible to switch into anything: even something resisted like a Secret Sword is going to feel bad, while anything not resisted is KO'ing for the most part.

---------

Talon deserves tier 1 because going first in doubles is so incredibly important. Being faster than your counters, even, is very useful. For example, say you're running Latios + Heatran vs Aegislash + Keldeo. The pure "1v1s" are on both sides of the court, Latios beats Keldeo which beats Heatran which beats Aegis which beats Latios. But since my threats are faster I win because I capitalize on my good matchups while avoiding the bad matchups - I have all the choices due to being faster.

Players like utilizing switches to preserve weakened mons or avoid SE hits and stuff because, simply put, that's smart play - Talon thrives in this environment. It lacks comfortable switchins outside of Heatran and Thundurus (even this can be awkward: do you really want to take a overheat or Flare Blitz to the face?) while being able to revenge KO anything. Kangaskhan at 50%? Gone. LandoT got tickled a little? Now it has to run away or die. Copypaste for any threat in the game.

"Amoonguss has higher attack than Talon" is a stupid meme because raw stats mean little when you have two base 120 STABs while the average is ~80 to 90. For reference Talon does more damage than Metagross-Mega which has like base 140 and a free Life Orb ability.

The reason Talonflame is quite powerful isn't that it ohkos a large portion of the meta, it's the fact that it gives you the offensive pressure you need to take command of a game and force your opponent to play around it. If you bring a Talonflame on a Hydreigon that's at 55% something dies, no matter what. The same couldn't be said of Latios, because Aegislash just switches in or w/e - these easy, comfortable switchins don't exist for Talonflame, and you can't bring in a faster mon that can tank a Bbird and KO it first the next turn because it's literally the fastest thing in this game.

In general I think trying to cross reference Talon to Azu and comparing them side by side is flawed and detracting from the point, but even so having to take a turn makes Azumarill a completely different threat than Talonflame. Talonflame comes in and has immediate impact and preys on weakened opponents, while Azumarill is all about finding the right moment and getting rid of pesky shit (like Talonflame itself, wowzer) and avoiding threatening attackers. Also I find it strange that you make a huge deal out of Talonflame not being able to switch into anything (not true fwiw, I've switched into Fighting STABs, Fairy coverage, and Eq's a lot, as well as tanking some Tran hit while I KO it or an Aegislash Flash Cannon on my Diancie, etc etc etc you get the point) or lacking defensive synergy when Azumarill also has the same issues of lacking the ability to switch into anything and still function as a threat.

I'd like to nominate Ferrothorn to Tier 1.5
The Tier 2 bio states that Pokemon which have broad applications on a variety of teams but are simply less effective than the Pokemon in the higher tiers. This also includes Pokemon which, while good, only fit on a specific team style or require heavy support but are still stronger than Pokemon in the tiers below. Ferrothorn matches up incredibly well against many of the Pokemon in Tier 1 and Tier 1.5, namely Mega Gard, Mega Kanga and Mega Diancie, while also being a complete annoyance agains Amoongus, not to mention tanking hits from Lando-T, the only perma-scarf Mon in the Tier. Not only this, but Ferrothorn has good match-ups against mons in Tier 1.5 as well, namely Azumarill, Keldeo, Rotom-W and Kyurem-B. Ferrothorn also requires little support to be effective, in fact, it dislikes opponents mons being paralysed, as that reduces the power of Gyro Ball, and also frequently runs Leech Seed, to whittle down opponents health while stalling with Protect. Ferrothorn also fits on many play styles, such as Balanced, Offensive, Stall and Hyper-Stall to name a few. It simply doesn't fit the Criteria for Rank 2. The Tier 1.5 bio states that Pokemon that are generally strong, but can be dead weight in some matchups, don't have great matchups vs a lot of Tier 1, or are only particularly useful for checking a certain team style. If you applied this to Ferrothorn, which has bad match-ups against only perhaps half of Tier 1, and great match-ups against the rest of Tier 1, as stated above. The Criteria for Tier 2 simply doesn't apply to Ferrothorn, and would be more suited to Tier 1.5

The Tier 2 bio states that Pokemon which have broad applications on a variety of teams but are simply less effective than the Pokemon in the higher tiers. This also includes Pokemon which, while good, only fit on a specific team style or require heavy support but are still stronger than Pokemon in the tiers below. Ferrothorn matches up incredibly well against many of the Pokemon in Tier 1 and Tier 1.5, namely Mega Gard, Mega Kanga and Mega Diancie, while also being a complete annoyance agains Amoongus, not to mention tanking hits from Lando-T, the only perma-scarf Mon in the Tier. Not only this, but Ferrothorn has good match-ups against mons in Tier 1.5 as well, namely Azumarill, Keldeo, Rotom-W and Kyurem-B. Ferrothorn also requires little support to be effective, in fact, it dislikes opponents mons being paralysed, as that reduces the power of Gyro Ball, and also frequently runs Leech Seed, to whittle down opponents health while stalling with Protect. Ferrothorn also fits on many play styles, such as Balanced, Offensive, Stall and Hyper-Stall to name a few. It simply doesn't fit the Criteria for Rank 2. The Tier 1.5 bio states that Pokemon that are generally strong, but can be dead weight in some matchups, don't have great matchups vs a lot of Tier 1, or are only particularly useful for checking a certain team style. If you applied this to Ferrothorn, which has bad match-ups against only perhaps half of Tier 1, and great match-ups against the rest of Tier 1, as stated above. The Criteria for Tier 2 simply doesn't apply to Ferrothorn, and would be more suited to Tier 1.5
I agree with your nom, however I would like to point out that stall and hyper stall are not team archetypes in doubles (unless you count perish trap which is, in essence, stalling till they die).

Honestly im not really buying this nom. Ferro has an abysmal matchup vs more than half of tier 1 and is a bulky grass that doesn't provide Sleep or redirection as opposed to Amoonguss. I think the description of tier 1.5 is overhyping Ferrothorn even if it maybe fits partially. It certainly doesn't have great matchups vs most of Tier 1 (terrible really) and is dead weight in many matchups but it does function as a really solid check to certain team styles (Rain specifically). While this probably fits Ferrothorn, this mon isn't viable enough to sit just below Tier 1 and be on the same level as Hydreigon, Hoopa-U, Washtom, etc. Like for most of tier 1.5 they aren't complete dead weight when something that exudes the slightest offensive pressure touches the field. Im not saying we move this down because Ferro is still a great rain check and a good passive Kang/Diancie/Garde check, (but 2 of these are paired with fires 99% of the time so lol), I just don't think Ferro is viable enough to sit in 1.5.

Dawgie

"Utilizes belly drum so can't be Tier 1" is stupid reasoning but you can't just ignore the weaknesses that having to spend a turn Belly Drumming exposes you to, and the consequent bulk that Azu loses.

You utilize the "after 1 turn" clause a lot. That's like anywhere from 1/8 to 1/16th of a game. Probably losing a mon to get that to happen, and only getting setup, not killing things yet. There are lots of games where due to some slipup or Jirachi flinches azu goes below 50% and then it just sits there doing nothing or trying to Ajet a Kangaskhan down or something.
This point is pretty poor im not gonna lie, you just argued "if you dont play well or flinch, it doesnt work" - Congrats I guess, you solved the metagame!

Dawgie

Yeah sure +6 ajets hit harder than Talonflame's Bbird but Talon gets to attack the first turn it's out and it's a faster priority while also being a better offensive typing. The implication that azu's priority is better than Talon's doesn't hold water.
At not point did I argue that talonflame was better off the mark or had worse priority than azumarill. I really dont get where you get this raging lust for talonflame from... Good players just dont let you use talonflame well... you either have to call a switch to a resisting mon for (brave bird or flare blitz), or just get intimidated...

Dawgie
Petty teambuilding jab aside, the point of saying "You have to have Fake Out or redirection" isn't just focused on trying to say that team options are rather gimped but that if you try to setup Azu without your partner at that very moment being one of the two (fake out vs spread, fm vs two single target hitters) you're not getting to set up. It's just not going to happen, unless your opponent has Azumarill bait: the team.
Super false assumption, there are numerous scenarios where azumarill can come in and boost without needing Fake out or follow me support - Namely, when pokemon on the other side of the field are intimidated / one or both are about to be Ko'ed by the partner of azumarill / one or both offer no offensive pressure against azumarill.

Dawgie
Azu's also impossible to switch into anything: even something resisted like a Secret Sword is going to feel bad, while anything not resisted is KO'ing for the most part.
The damage calc can be found at http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/, in case you hadn't yet found it:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 375-442 (92.8 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Ps. you might not know, but some azumarills carry sitrus berry :o

---------

Dawgie
Talon deserves tier 1 because going first in doubles is so incredibly important. Being faster than your counters, even, is very useful. For example, say you're running Latios + Heatran vs Aegislash + Keldeo. The pure "1v1s" are on both sides of the court, Latios beats Keldeo which beats Heatran which beats Aegis which beats Latios. But since my threats are faster I win because I capitalize on my good matchups while avoiding the bad matchups - I have all the choices due to being faster.
Disregarding how condescending this comment is, it is as bad as people who consistently talk in doubles about how well Pokemon beat others 1 on 1. The situation regards all possible options that can be made

Also btw, the aegislash player can protect keldeo, and shadow ball latios for the win too if called correctly, this is literally a 50/50. Both players have choices in this scenario.

Dawgie
Players like utilizing switches to preserve weakened mons or avoid SE hits and stuff because, simply put, that's smart play - Talon thrives in this environment. It lacks comfortable switchins outside of Heatran and Thundurus (even this can be awkward: do you really want to take a overheat or Flare Blitz to the face?) while being able to revenge KO anything. Kangaskhan at 50%? Gone. LandoT got tickled a little? Now it has to run away or die. Copypaste for any threat in the game.
This is something that talonflame does well, but as your scenario indicated above, doubles has 2 pokemon on the field at once!!!! Whilst talonflame can pressure anything at 50% it doesn't have to run away or die, because there is a really cool move that people in doubles sometimes like to use:

upload_2016-8-17_20-32-13.png

This is where the original point in the OP regarding talonflame frail nature really comes into account, talonflame can never afford to be targeting the wrong slot, not even for a turn, it is a super high risk for an [81 base attack] reward.

Dawgie
Amoonguss has higher attack than Talon" is a stupid meme because raw stats mean little when you have two base 120 STABs while the average is ~80 to 90. For reference Talon does more damage than Metagross-Mega which has like base 140 and a free Life Orb ability.
You called comparing amoongus silly, whilst here comparing a mega which was recently affirmed in tier 3. Ok.

Dawgie
The reason Talonflame is quite powerful isn't that it ohkos a large portion of the meta, it's the fact that it gives you the offensive pressure you need to take command of a game and force your opponent to play around it. If you bring a Talonflame on a Hydreigon that's at 55% something dies, no matter what. The same couldn't be said of Latios, because Aegislash just switches in or w/e - these easy, comfortable switchins don't exist for Talonflame, and you can't bring in a faster mon that can tank a Bbird and KO it first the next turn because it's literally the fastest thing in this game.
Your argument is built around the idea that nothing can switch into talonflame. I dont want to link the Damage calculator again dude, but Bulky Kang / Cresselia / Heatran / rotom w / suicune / gyarados / rotom h / Diancie / are just a few common pokemon that are not 2hkoed by THE BEST OFFENSIVE TYPING IN THE GAME OMG. Furthermore, talonflame quite literally kills its own pressure, via literally killing itself,

Dawgie
In general I think trying to cross reference Talon to Azu and comparing them side by side is flawed and detracting from the point, but even so having to take a turn makes Azumarill a completely different threat than Talonflame. Talonflame comes in and has immediate impact and preys on weakened opponents, while Azumarill is all about finding the right moment and getting rid of pesky shit (like Talonflame itself, wowzer) and avoiding threatening attackers. Also I find it strange that you make a huge deal out of Talonflame not being able to switch into anything (not true fwiw, I've switched into Fighting STABs, Fairy coverage, and Eq's a lot, as well as tanking some Tran hit while I KO it or an Aegislash Flash Cannon on my Diancie, etc etc etc you get the point) or lacking defensive synergy when Azumarill also has the same issues of lacking the ability to switch into anything and still function as a threat.
Tldr:
you missed the entire point of the comparison. They have different roles, but both still, in order to be tier 1 have to be able to tick off the requirements that we have listed for tier 1 pokemon. Azumarill, ticks these off without a shadow of a doubt when compared to how much talonflame struggles to do so. I'm not meaning this as a cheap shot, but again the point that you didnt answer in my OP is an explanation of why Talonflame, correct me if I'm wrong, is a severely bottom ended pokemon, with extremely limited success among higher placed games and better players. I dont think "ease of beating new / bad players" should be a feature of tier 1 pokemon.

Tlldr:
Play some non-idiots with talonflame, see how it goes.

Attachments

Last edited:

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired
I'd like to nominate Sylveon from tier 2 to tier 1.5. With tier 1.5 stating 'pokemon that are generally strong, but can be dead weight in some matchups, don't have great matchups vs a lot of Tier 1, or are only particularly useful for checking a certain team style.' Sylveon's Hyper Voice is such a threat in the metagame most teams prepare two fairy resists for it and Mega Gardevoir alone. It has incredible match ups in the tier 1.5 alone beating 6 out of the 8 pokemon there. With sets now ranging from Choice Specs, to the calm mind sets that are now getting good usage from respected players in the tier. Match ups are weaker in the tier 1 position but with respect that the tier has 7 out of 12 resisting fairy. It's not going to have the strongest case to beat any of these resisted pokemon.

Teams don't respect it enough anymore with the common meta Heatran and Amoongus picks struggling to have an impact on the the calm mind, substitute set. Leaving teams relying on these two to help control it, very weak when it comes to playing Sylveon.

With changes in the metagame having Volcanion getting used over Heatran for teams makes these teams weaker to Sylveon. As only having a single resistance and sub par special bulk means it take a good chunk from Sylveon for being a resisted attack. Making teams that usually had solid ways to check Sylveon, now have a tougher time when facing it.

Arguing it is held back by its speed or reduced defensive stat, fails to make a strong point to where it does not need to go up a tier. When most teams often have ways to deal with these things anyway. Namely speed control and intimidate / redirection / fake out. Comparing to the case with Azumarill. We're thinking realistic situations and Sylveon in a generic battle situation would usually have some form of access to any of these things. Allowing it to get off very strong spread damage or set up to clean up the majority of a team.

In the defence of pumpking aka gourgeist, it's immune to spore, fake out, and can live a hit from bisharp with a bit of defence investment. That's a pretty good list of things for a trick room setter and you haven't even gone with an item yet (Sitrus/colbur/herb/occa)

Also makes a wonderful Choice Band user :)

I agree with all of Elise's other noms though, even pert to 4 because volcanion makes rain even harder to use :(

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've seen enough and been impressed enough with this mon to say it deserves a rank... so

Jynx -> 4

It definitely has serious 4MSS, but Fake Out + Sleep that goggles doesn't ignore + speed control = enough to be ranked.

I've seen enough and been impressed enough with this mon to say it deserves a rank... so

Jynx -> 4

It definitely has serious 4MSS, but Fake Out + Sleep that goggles doesn't ignore + speed control = enough to be ranked.

I was literally about to nom this to tier 4. Obviously it shouldnt go any higher than this because it takes like 70% from Kang PuP but it has some really interesting utility. Bughouse didn't mention that it can't be Aqua Jetted by Azu because of Dry Skin and its Psychic doesn't do that piss weak of damage. I think you need a replay to nom to Tier 4? (maybe just other tiers) but here's me beating one of Doubles OU's finest contributors with Jynx. There's also this Open game where Jynx Sleeps everything and shows that it isn't useless.
Edit: Even our glorious Tier Leader is no match for Jynx

Last edited:

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hold on am i about to agree with n1n1 what is happening

Gastrodon to Tier 2 makes sense to me, that's something I missed in my first run through. Gastrodon can reliably switch into and threaten everything n1n1 mentioned plus Jirachi Heatran and kinda Talonflame, and Recover makes it pretty painful to get rid of unless you're a grass type or are just crazy strong neutrally (kang, deoxys, etc). It has nice natural bulk and you don't need to invest much special attack to KO something like 4hp landorus so you can focus EVs into making it even bulkier. It also prevents Azumarill from Aqua Jetting, which allows your partner to deal with it and not fear getting wiped out before it can attack, a pretty underrated quality imo. It also makes rain nervous, obviously it doesn't like facing Ludicolo but it can force them to rethink spamming Scald/Hydro and might force Kingdra into using Draco instead of Muddy Water.

Let's be honest, something that Thundurus literally can't touch (especially now that swagger is gone) is something that is definitely worth using lol

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Feel like the most of this post is just picking apart particular wordings and petty jabs. Yeah I didn't mean that anything KO's I meant that it brings it out of BD range, w/e, same thing: Azu's useless if it takes a Kangaskhan Return and it definitely doesn't like switching into anything, even resists.

The point about fake out or redirection is that you have a limited window of opportunity with Azu, one that requires careful, deliberate play to get into and an exploitation of an opponent running threats like Heatran, LandoT, Hydreigon, Keldeo, Cresselia, shit like that.

Setting up Azu isn't a end to the game in the slightest. Here's an example replay of Braverius getting practically the best lead he could've gotten with his Azu+Amoong team and it still fails to do much. Call it hax, call it w/e it still was only getting two KOs if he didn't get FP'd, while he loses Amoonguss and Azu.

The point of "if you get flinched or hit below BD range you're fucked" is to emphasize that Azu is going to have literally 0 offensive/practical value when this happens - it's missed its window of opportunity and now it's fucked and exposed. If someone flinches my Hydreigon with a Jirachi it doesn't spontaneously drop all its momentum, right? If someone brings my Hydreigon down to 50% it's still an effective threat or I can switch it out to murder things later.

------

Who cares if Metagross-Mega is tier 3 that literally has nothing to do with the point: it's tier 3 because of its shitty typing and difficult teambuilding constraints to account for, along with its low usage, not for having lower power or w/e. Point still holds with other powerful STABs like Hydreigon Dark Pulse. Life Orb Aegis SBall, Keldeo SSword... Pick a mon name a stab that isn't Kangaskhan Return, Hoopa Fury, or dragon dracos and Talonflame probably does more than it. Saying it has less Attack than Amoonguss is still a stupid point to bring up that doesn't contribute anything to discussion.

As for the point about Talonflame being only good against baddies and only used by baddies...

Is MajorBowman now a bottom-ended player? Pretty sure he's like 4-0 in SPL or something and he used Talonflame 3/4 times in spl, the 4th fire type being Zard Y.

Isn't Memoric our tierleader or something? He uses that Kang+Aegis+Talon team quite a bit, as far as I can remember, and just looking through his recent replays he brought Talonflame to 9/15 of those games that I could find.

Anyways I don't know what spreadsheet you're looking at but here it says that Major4-0man and Memoric both went undefeated in SPL so maybe they're candidates for not being bottom-tier players or something idk. Probably just lucky and bad or were playing idiots.

Fun fact Talonflame was only 2 off of being #2 in usage in SPL.

I honestly dont think there's any point disputing a clear difference in playstyle / play / understand of the game, so I won't argue further about azu and talon, You can probably guess how I'll vote though :). It's probably worth making this point though

Regarding "Good Players" using talonflame -

I have respect for both Majorbowman and Memoric. There is obviously going to be exceptions to the rule, telling me "XD BUT THE TIER LEADER USES IT, IT MUST BE GOOD" is an awful argument.
SPL statistics are inconclusive for talonflame being as good as tier 1. It has the lowest win ratio of the top 7 most used pokemon (50%).

Though as you like those statistics so much, you might note

| 13 | Azumarill | 13 | 13.83% | 69.23%

The highest win ratio of the top 15 Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)