Doubles Theorymonning

Woah, we have no idea what generation VI will bring, that will open a whole new can of worms. For all we know these MegaLutions might not be worth it (especially since the transformation happens in battle, ie some kind of set-up is involved, and set-up is rare in doubles at the moment).
Hence, Theorymonning. We are basically playing the guessing game, so I figured I'd ask the questions.

Also, will Thick Fat serve Venusaur better than Chlorophyll?

Hence, Theorymonning. We are basically playing the guessing game, so I figured I'd ask the questions.

Also, will Thick Fat serve Venusaur better than Chlorophyll?
MegaZard could help a lot in doubles since Protect will give it time to activate Drought. Also, since Mega Evolving has a lower priority than switching, you are pretty much guaranteed to have a boosted Heat Wave for a turn. Only Prankster/faster mons with a weather move can prevent it.

MegaSaur doesn't have many support options in its movepool currently(maybe in gen6), but it could provide resistances and synergy+is a good bulky offensive pick for doubles. Sleep Powder+Leech Seed/Giga Drain and Charm/Growl assuming it will be very specially bulky could see use. I'm just not so sure it will be worth the "1 Mega per team" sacrifice.

Edit: MegaChomp could see use on TailWind teams

Last edited:
what if inner focus blocked moves like encore, sweet kiss, attract, taunt, and other like moves? also, what if oblivious worked like a permanent mental herb?

Pocket EDIT: I'm confused, lucariojr - what's the difference between your theoretical Inner Focus and Oblivious? I guess the former is immune to flinch

Last edited by a moderator:
The Oblivious idea works actually and makes sense, plus it would make things like Quagsire more competitive overall I think.

What Pokemon could benefit from Huge/Pure Power without becoming broken?

Inb4 trolls come in with Cresselia/Shuckle.

The Oblivious idea works actually and makes sense, plus it would make things like Quagsire more competitive overall I think.

What Pokemon could benefit from Huge/Pure Power without becoming broken?

Inb4 trolls come in with Cresselia/Shuckle.
Poliwrath and Lickilicky. Middling offensive stats with good offensive options, but a lame showing in the meta despite currently having good abilities. Their low speeds would balance it out, but with support they could be ridiculous beasts.

They also fit flavor-wise imo.

Edit: I was talking about Huge/Pure Power Laga...

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If anything would benefit from Oblivious, it would be Slowking, being able to have an item slot free, and still immune to Taunt so it can set up TR. Slowbro gets a little mention, but due to better special bulk, Slowking would usually be better.

Edit: haha Pocket edits are the best! Asking the question by editing the post > asking it in a seperate post

Edit 2: I am presumably retarded in the face

Last edited:
What if we got a Special Intimidate?

Special moves are better in doubles due to not having to fear things like facing a gyarados/scrafty pair halving their strength for free, besides since intimidate and things like swagger seem to work by scaring/angering your opponent an insecurity/overconfidence counterpart to flatter makes sense

I think some time during gen IV GameFreak realised that the doubles metagame (which, remember, is the one they actually care about) was biased in favour of special attackers due to Intimidate. So they made Defiant. Having a Special Intimidate would make Defiant really centralising imo, as some teams might carry, an Intimidate, Icy Wind AND (whatever, I think Neutralise sounds like a cool name for it) user, and then a third of your team can't even switch in without the risk of being crushed by Bisharp.

What might be equally interesting to consider is a speed equivalent (I think Petrify would be an awesome name for such an ability). However, this might be too broken in singles (it would make for ridiculously good revenge killers - it's a free Choice Scarf without the choice).

Gonna do some Gen 6 theorymonning now, bear with me.

Noivern is an incredibly fast, bulky pokemon with a decent Sp. Atk of 100-105, who also learns Draco Meteor, Hurricane, and a move called Boomburst, a power 100 Normal-Type Earthquake

Malamar is a slow but bulky mon who knows a move called Topsy Turvy, which when used on an enemy or ally, flips stat effects similar to contrary

So here's my plan. First turn Noivern nukes someone on the enemy team with Draco Meteor. Unless priority or Scarf is used, he WILL go first, as he's faster than most. The Draco Meteor, assuming it's used on a squishy mon, will get a kill. Then, assuming both of them tanked the remaining Pokemon's attack (Which they most likely will have, as they are both fairly bulky), Malamar uses Topsy Turvy on Noivern, giving him a x2 special attack boost.

Noivern then spams Boomburst, Draco Meteor and Hurricane as much as he wants with a free x2 special attack, which should in theory, cover most types and massacre the enemy, while Malamar reverses any debuffs the enemy tries to place on Noivern.

that really isn't anything new since thats the main thing the demo battles have been showcasing. but at any rate i think topsy turvy will be one of those moves that has more than one use like swagger. it can cripple the opponent and help you (think intimidate drops becoming +1's), but if you rely on getting the +2 boost via topsy turvy it will be super easy to screw you over with follow me, fake out, taunt and pretty much every bug move if malamar is the only mon that gets topsy turvy. if malamar is the only mon to get it and it has bad stats... topsy turvy isn't going to be used.

e: also like swagger, it will probably be /really/ good if a prankster mon gets it

Last edited:
What is Escavalier/Scizor had Wide Guard?
Heat Wave/ Eruption are then spread moves they are weak to, and being able to take advantage of that would be awesome.
I can think of so many times that having wide guard on Escavalier would have saved me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)