DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
I was just wondering about the Yawn+BP thing. Presumably the yawn effect is lost if the user just switches or U-Turns out instead of remaining in battle the second turn? The move description post should perhaps mention that.
Yup. I find it odd that Yawn is passable though...

Yup. I find it odd that Yawn is passable though...
I'm wondering why Omega said it was. I just tried using a Lagging Tail on a Girafarig, then used Yawn from Dunsparce. Yawn hit, Girafarig Baton Pass'd out...and...nothing ever went to sleep.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
That's funny... Can't be a japanese bug- It was english PBR. I'll test on D/P later.

Also funny is that as far as I can tell, in Japan they make full-fledged game shows out of Pokémon battles. XD

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I don't think thats a continous shot. I just tried to Counter a Giga Drain on PBR and it failed. That Treecko also knows Slam and may have used it off camera.

Edit: Regarding BPing Yawn. I can confirm it doesn't work in game. It does work on Shoddy Battle, but that's a glitch.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Easy enough to tell. I'll see if Wobb loses any extra HP from GD 1 to GD 2, so we'll know if there's a slam in between.

Edit: Major difference, ja.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That's odd, I remembered seeing Yawn+BP working at some point or another. Maybe I saw it in Advance or something...

EDIT: Nope, not there either. Maybe it was shoddybattle after all.

yamipoli

the only person more obsessive than jumpman
is an Artist Alumnus
Conversion can turn you into normal type.

of random note: if arceus ever doesn't have multitype, it will still transform into the type of plate it's holding. conversion will overwrite arceus' type with the plate held as well.

magic Coat seems to reflect back A LOT more, it reflected back screech and smoke screen, so it'll take me a few days to test everything.
magic coat only also blocks the first effect in a double battle: glameow used hypnosis, stunky used smoke screen, hypnosis was reflected back, smoke screen wasn't
if an opponent uses a move that effects both pokemon, magic coat reflects it for that pokemon at the pokemon's current accuracy (magic coat vs growl: pokemon one was effected, pokemon two bounced it back, but growl missed glameow because it had had it's accuracy lowered)

magic coat list (INCOMPLETE):
Sing
leech seed
Stone Spore
Sleep Powder
Toxic
Hypnosis
Confuse Ray
Lovely Kiss
Spore
Sweet Kiss
Grasswhistle
Yawn
Dark Void

Screech
SmokeScreen
Swagger
Gastro Acid
Worry Seed
Attract (** needs to test a boy vs girl, it bounced back and failed girl vs girl)

Conversion can turn you into normal type.

magic Coat seems to reflect back A LOT more, it reflected back screech and smoke screen, so it'll take me a few days to test everything.
magic coat only also blocks the first effect in a double battle: glameow used hypnosis, stunky used smoke screen, hypnosis was reflected back, smoke screen wasn't.
Something that might help you: http://veekun.com/dex/moves/screech
There's a flag for Magic Coat, and Screech and SmokeScreen have the flag on. You should be able to just check whatever moves you want and manually verify if you feel like it.

Anyway, I've done some testing on my on, and hopefully this should settle any remaining questions about Pressure.

Partner Dusclops, Pressure.
Ludicolo's Rain Dance loses 2 PP, due to ally's pressure.
Ludicolo's Ice Beam loses 2 PP when targeting ally.
Ludicolo's Surf loses 2 PP when targeting everyone else including ally.
Dusclops uses Protect, it only loses 1 PP.
Something uses Acupressure on Dusclops, and only loses 1 PP.
Vileplume uses Lucky Chant on allies and only loses 1 PP.
Vileplume uses Aromatherapy on allies and the team (including another Pressure pokemon) and still only loses 1 PP.
Vileplume uses Giga Drain on Dusclops. Dusclops protected itself, but Vileplume still lost 2 PP.

Conclusion: Pressure makes any move with target type "enemy", "enemies" (didn't test but assume), "others", or "all", that includes the Pressure pokemon in the targeted pokemon, will lose 2 PP.

Remaining questions:
1. What happens if you target two or more pokemon with Pressure? Ludicolo using surf, with a Pressure partner, and two Pressure enemies. Would it lose 4 PP?
Obi+ says yes.

2. What happens if you attack a Pressure pokemon but miss? Do you still lose 2 PP?
Yes, tested this.

3. What happens if the Pressure pokemon ITSELF uses an "all" target type move? (examples are Haze, Rain Dance, Trick Room, etc.)
It doesn't count itself when considering Pressure. If you have two Pressure pokemon, and one of them uses Trick Room, it will take 2 PP because of its teammate.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If Arceus doesn't have Multi-type, it will still change forms based on the plate it's holding, but it won't change type.

Remaining questions:
1. What happens if you target two or more pokemon with Pressure? Ludicolo using surf, with a Pressure partner, and two Pressure enemies. Would it lose 4 PP?

Each Pokemon with Pressure that it hits costs another PP, so if you use Surf with two Pressure enemies and a Pressure partner, yes, you lose 4 PP.

Argh, one last note on Pressure:

To be thoroughly exhaustive I supposed we'd need to test it with moves that target enemies (rock slide), Me First (it has a unique target classifier) and Counter/Mirror Coat.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
IIRC last time I used Me First on Spiritomb it only took 1PP... But it's still worth confirming.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Relevant quotes from old thread:

Boanumbers said:
I think I remember something odd with pursuit and confusion... Like the "x is confused" message didn't even appear when using pursuit against a switching Pokémon, and that it was assumed then that the counter wasn't lowered and you could not break out of confusion on that turn. I'll test this when I test confusion duration.
Boanumbers said:
Has anyone tested Life Orb + Confusion? If not, I'll do it when I test confusion.

Obi said:
So my guess is that the increase is not 70%, but 66.7% (2/3). I say this because the Accuracy charts use base 3/3 for alterations, so an increase equivalent to two levels would put you at 5/3, or an increase of 2/3 accuracy. This follows the pattern of Reflect essentially doubling Defense (a two stage increase in standard Defense chart), Light Screen doubling Special Defense (a two stage increase in the Special Defense chart), and Tailwind doubles Speed (two stages in the Speed chart). It would follow that Gravity would be the equivalent of a two stage increase in the Accuracy chart (or a two stage decrease in the Evasion chart, but there is exactly no difference because it multiplies with other Evasion / Accuracy modifiers). It's most likely a decrease in Evasion because it is a field effect on all Pokemon, but it's less confusing to state it as an increase in Accuracy, and has no testable difference.

If we're talking about Accuracy, how do OHKO's Accuracy and Pokemon levels interact?

Sing (55%):
55/60 = 2/3 increase (OmegaDonut)
15/16 = 70.5% increase (Wizard of Odd)
70/76 = 67.5% increase (total, and the closest amount of hits to a 2/3 increase possible (expected 69 and 2/3 hits = 70 hits)

Dynamicpunch and Zap Cannon (50%)
34/40 = 70% increase (Peterko)
23/27 = 70.4% increase (Wizard of Odd)
57/67 = 70.1% increase (total, and one more than the closest amount of hits to a 2/3 increase (expected 55.8 hits = 56 hits)

For purposes of Pressure, moves that call other moves in general should be tested. I know Pressure doesn't ever affect Sleep Talk, but what about Assist, Me First, Metronome, and Nature Power?

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
I planned to test those, but as I posted with my confusion duration logs, I muffed my finger up pretty badly and don't want to do any rigorous testing. >_>

I've soft reset six times and my Illuminate Staryu from Hoenn will not evolve into a Natural Cure Starmie. So the variable whether the ability changes or not is probably set once the Pokemon is Pal Parked, or I'm just really unlucky. Or maybe it only works for new abilities introduced in D/P? Can someone confirm this by Pal Parking other first- or second-form Pokemon and then making them evolve?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've soft reset six times and my Illuminate Staryu from Hoenn will not evolve into a Natural Cure Starmie. So the variable whether thea ability changes or not is probably set once the Pokemon is Pal Parked, or I'm just really unlucky. Or maybe it only works for ne abilities introduced in D/P? Can someone confirm this by Pal Parking other first- or second-form Pokemon and then making them evolve?
The trait which a Pokemon will evolve into is preset. The same goes for all its clones.

obi

formerly david stone
Do we know of a way to determine what ability a Pokemon will get upon evolution after Pal Parking it?

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Do we know of a way to determine what ability a Pokemon will get upon evolution after Pal Parking it?
I have heard it can be determined by looking at its data in something like PokéSav if you really train your eye and have extensive experience, but aside from that I've never heard of any way to do it in-game, legitimately, other than just doing it and seeing what the outcome is.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
[00:04] OmegaDonutDeux: what in the PID determines a Pokemon's ability? is it whether it's even or odd?
[00:04] yamipoli PKMN: yes

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I did another test to prove my theory:
1hko accuracy % = (user´s LV - target´s LV) + 30) / 100

LV.100 fissure vs LV.31
63/64 hit = 98.4375% (should be 99%)
0/8 -> 1/16 -> 1/24 -> 1/32 -> 1/40 -> 1/48 -> 1/56 -> 1/64

I posted yesterday that I got 40/40 hits against LV.30

and also, gravity doesn´t seem to work with the 1hko level difference accuracy boost

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Has anyone ever tested Shed Shell+Ingrain?
On the same topic, has anyone ever tested Shed Shell+Ingrain, and Whirlwind/Roar used them?

My predictions:
Shed Shell+Ingrain allows you to switch out
Shed Shell+Ingrain does not allow you to be hit by Whirlwind/Roar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)