DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What happens if an OHKO move is used against a Pokemon having 1 remaining HP and has a Substitute up? Does the OHKO move deal 1 damage, or damage equal to the max HP of the foe, to the Substitute?
Ah, how foolish of me not to have explicitly pointed out that it only deals damage equal to the maximum HP. I could have saved Peterko a bit of trouble. ;)

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@RiptideFugitive:

If you BP a Sub to a Pokemon, and the Sub's remaining HP is greater than that of that Pokemon's max HP, OHKO moves will not destroy the Sub. It will only do as much damage as the Pokemon's max HP.
I got some commentary from Footnote, who AIM'd me while I was out grocery shopping:

[19:29] LastFootnote: No need to respond. I just have a couple of comments about the research thread.
[19:30] LastFootnote: First, your info about Encore in the second research thread is inaccurate.
[19:30] LastFootnote: If you're encored in 2v2, you are forced to pick a random opponent to target. *You will not necessarily keep targeting the same foe. *It worked this way in Advance, too.
[19:31] LastFootnote: Second, you all should really make sure that OHKOs are even affected by Gravity's accuracy boost before using Fissure to test how much the boost is.
[19:32] LastFootnote: That is all. Hope you're doing well.
[19:40] LastFootnote: Actually, I lied. That's not all. Frisk chooses a random opponent in 2v2 and Razor Fang has a chance to flinch for each hit of a multi-hit attack (Beat Up with 6 Pokémon has about a 50% flinch rate).

Although we've already determined that OHKOs are unaffected by evasion\accuracy modifiers including Gravity, Footnote is right about Encore - I totally screwed up the interpretation of my findings.

Drifloon uses Payback on enemy Machop last turn.
Next turn, Drifloon targets ally Wobbuffet with Payback.
Ally Wobbuffet uses Encore on Drifloon.
Drifloon uses Payback on enemy Machop instead.
This was what occurred in a battle I had. Now, one could interpret this as Encore forcing the target to instead target the Pokemon it last hit before it was Encored - this is the mistake I made. Or, it could be possible that Encore forces the target to instead target an opponent.

Footnote realized this, and he seems to be right about it. After Encoring my own ally Breloom's Spore, I found it would target only random enemies.

On a side note, Acupressure doesn't target random Pokemon on your side if it gets Encored. It does lock you into Acupressuring the target you chose the turn Encore went off. Also, Acupressure doesn't work if your target has a Substitute up - whether it's your ally or yourself. This puts a real damper on my Surf\Acupressure\Confuse Ray\Substitute Tentacruel...

As for Beat Up + Razor Fang, I'll look into it.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
LastFootnote: ... Razor Fang has a chance to flinch for each hit of a multi-hit attack (Beat Up with 6 Pokémon has about a 50% flinch rate).
That's very interesting. If Beat Up with 6 Pokemon has around a 50% flinch rate, that makes Razor Fang's flinch rate at around 10.91% (I solved the equation, lol). Although not a proof that Razor Fang's flinch rate is the same as that of King's Rock, this information points to that discovery.

I would like to ask Footnote: do you get the '[Pokemon] flinched!' message after any one of the 6 Pokemon uses Beat Up, or just at the end?

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
today is not a good day for testing...

KOed the target after like 3/15-20 flinches with king´s rock scratch
I started again and got 5/56
after a max ether I KOed the target accidentally again after 3/18

8/74 is my poor result

what was already shown in my 1hko level difference + gravity test...well tested gravity fissure on pokémon with the same level

2/8
2/8
3/8
total: 7/24 = 29.16%
with gravity it should´ve been 50%

gravity doesn´t affect fissure

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
I would like to ask Footnote: do you get the '[Pokemon] flinched!' message after any one of the 6 Pokemon uses Beat Up, or just at the end?
Not quite sure what you mean by this.

In any case, I ran some tests on Razor Fang + Beat Up and got 8\20 + 9\20 = 17\40 flinches. Pretty close to 50%, but worth running a few more tests.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I mean, do you get the 'flinched' message as soon as one of the six Pokemon attacks with Beat Up, or after all of the 6 Pokemon had used Beat Up?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The flinch message occurs when you try to attack, not after the move that caused flinching (which is why you can't flinch on a switch, although Pursuit flinching and preventing switching would be pretty sad).

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Partner Dusclops, Pressure.
Ludicolo's Rain Dance loses 2 PP, due to ally's pressure.

Does Ludicolo lose 4 PP against two Pressure enemies and a Pressure ally?

I've keep hearing that freeze is influenced by the various weathers.

I can say that, at least on Colo/XD, this isn't the case ( I've been frozen under The Sun and have thawed instantly under the rain in both games ).

Is there some empirical evidence that this works on the GBA/DS, or is all of this just another urban legend?

This needs further testing, I suppose.
It's possibly just a Colo\XD thing. I tried to freeze a Jirachi with a Serene Grace Manaphy 30 times on the DS. All of them failed.

Was this in the Sun, or what?

Does Hustle affect the Accuracy of any OHKOs, Seismic Toss, Night Shade, Endeavor, or Dragon Rage?

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Following 3N3MY posting on my RMT that he tested in-game and found that gravity:
removed SR weak, spikes and toxic spikes immune
...from flying types, I've decided to test in a similar vein. Iron Ball- Will it remove weak to SR? That would pwn for a lot of Pokémon, especially already fast ones that can, for example, get their speed back easily (ninjaskcough) or for really slow flyers that just hate SR. It's a bit tough for an opponent to realize you have an iron ball, so it doesn't exactly make you a target for EQ; It just takes away your ability to switch into it.

Will get back after I test...

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Salamence with Iron Ball took 25% from SR. I'm going to check with Gravity, since now I don't think I really trust that it really got rid of SR weak...

Edit:
Gliscor took 12.5% from SR under Gravity, Ninjask took 50%. I am gonna tear 3N3MY a new one.

X-Act

The flinch message occurs when you try to attack, not after the move that caused flinching (which is why you can't flinch on a switch, although Pursuit flinching and preventing switching would be pretty sad).
Okay, thanks.

obi

formerly david stone
I originally meant it as a joke, but...

Does a Pokemon holding King's Rock and using Pursuit against a Pokemon that is switching have a chance to flinch, preventing the target from switching?

I originally meant it as a joke, but...

Does a Pokemon holding King's Rock and using Pursuit against a Pokemon that is switching have a chance to flinch, preventing the target from switching?
I don't think Pursuit gets the chance to flinch, it's listed as not getting it in all the dexes... but it could be that no one's tested it yet...

Despite evidently not being a researcher anymore, I've tested out Mimic and Sketch. Mimic copies a move to have just 5 PP remaining (Tackle copied with 5/35 PP left) whereas Sketch copies it with full PP (Tackle copies with 35/35 PP remaining). This is contrary to what the Move Descriptions say about those moves.

Peterko

Never give up!
I´ve tested mimic two weeks ago and posted that

-> Mimic copies even the number of PPs of the move, test: mimiced growl had 40 PP, mimic has normally 10 PP

I´ve tested it again now and you´re right, I probably only saw /40 what the hell, I´m sorry

Peterko

Never give up!
MAGNITUDE

Lv.15 geodude (26-36 att.) VS 13def chansey
turned off the power when dude struggled (forgot to catch it lol)

M4 (1/30 ) damage: 6
M5 (4/30) damage: 16, 18, 18, 16
M6 (7/30) damage: 30, 30, 27, 27, 27, 30, 30 (rock throw did the same)
M7 (12/30) damage: 40, 36, 40, 72 (CH), 37, 42, 36, 39, 39, 40, 40, 42
M8 (2/30) damage: 52, 49,
M9 (2/30) damage: 115 (CH), 61
M10 (2/30) damage: 84, 81

Magnitude***
BP = 10 if R is between 0 and 13 (Magnitude 4),
BP = 30 if R is between 14 and 38 (Magnitude 5),
BP = 50 if R is between 39 and 89 (Magnitude 6),
BP = 70 if R is between 90 and 166 (Magnitude 7),
BP = 90 if R is between 167 and 217 (Magnitude 8),
BP = 110 if R is between 218 and 242 (Magnitude 9), and
BP = 150 if R is between 243 and 255 (Magnitude 10),
where R is a random whole number between 0 and 255 with uniform probability.

so around 5%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 20%, 10%, 5%

I think the base powers correspond with what was assumed, if more tests are needed and someone else wants to test it, those geodudes are in the mt. coronet cave, enter from route 207

I just came in here to say, all you testers are saints in the pokemon world and this effort is not ignored. Happy testing.

Regarding Magic Guard Clefable and Struggle.

I just tested this out with a friend last night, and Clefable does indeed take recoil damage from Struggle.

Quite a shame.

Okay, so the formula for a move's hit is as follows :

Normal Move Accuracy x User's Accuracy Mod x Foe's Evasion Mod

Okay, that's all fine and good if only move or Berry Mods are in effect. Now what about things like Bright Powder, or Sand Veil? Or even Hustle or Compoundeyes? Would the full formula be something like this :

(Normal Move Accuracy x Ability Mod x Item Mod x Gravity Boost) x User's Accuracy Mod x Foe's Evasion Mod x Ability Mod x Item Mod

Is there anything I am not accounting for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)