DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I have heard rumors from some normally reliable people that the move Rolling Kick acts like Rapid Spin in removing Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes. Can someone test this out?

I don't know if this has been asked before but.. When a pokemon misses with Hi Jump Kick, what is the recoil damage calculated from? And is it affected by attack boosts, and the user's defense?

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1/2 of the damage it would have done if it hit, caps at max HP of target...so you do a normal damage calculation, with boosts, items, whatever and if the damage would be higher than max HP, use max HP

I´ll try to test rolling kick, just have to find a wild roselia with toxic spikes or something ._.

EDIT: no, rolling kick doesn´t remove toxic spikes

Trick Room + Healing Moves = ???

I'd like to point out something about Trick Room that the user WildAce has come across. It's posted in the Contributions and Corrections section, but I think it deserves a post here :

Greetings.
I would like to call attention to something interesting I noticed involving Moonlight and Trick Room.

Based on a video of PBR that I saw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu3iRZKNOQc
I noticed that Clefable only restored 1/3 of it's total HP at around the 3:14 point in the video.
Now, I do not have PBR nor have I ever played it; so if the potential of Moonlight was cut due to the match being held in the Magma Colleseum, then I apologize.
If not, then I believe that Trick Room holds a the same properties over Moonlight, being that it reduces the restoration % of Moonlight while Trick Room is in affect.

Again, if this had to do with the match being fought in that given area, then I apologize. However I felt it was worth calling attention to.

Thanks for your time.

-WildAce.
User Havak backs this up ...

Hmm it seems you're right, actually. As Celfable recovered less HP when Trick Room was in play. If you watch all the video, Clefable uses Moonlight later on when Trick Room is not in play, and recovers more HP.

Could this happen for all healing moves when Trick Room is in play? I think this needs to be tested properly.
I couldn't agree more. I have no idea why it would apply to moves like Moonlight, so who knows what else it does? Asking someone like poccil to look into the game's code might be the best solution for this, but I don't know. Cheers!

ok heres one

in 2v2 one pokemon is a user of overheat or a clone of it and the other has unaware does the presence of the unaware holder negate overheat users special drop allowing it to spam the move with no loss of power?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Just tried out Trick Room and Moonlight.

In English versions of DP, Trick Room has no effect on Moonlight.

In Japanese versions of DP, Trick Room halves the effectiveness of Moonlight. Unknown if this stacks with standard weather effects.

I'll need to test for English versions of PBR.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Focus Sash block Doom Desire / Future Sight from OHKOing?

Can Assist call up moves from the active teammate in 2v2?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Lock-On / Mind Reader allow a Pokemon to hit Pokemon using Fly or some such move?

obi

formerly david stone
There has been some questioning of whether Flatter boosts Special Attack 1 stage or 2 stages. Could anyone test this?

This was in the "New" DP Research Thread:

I think I have come across a bug involving Rage, Sub, and any other move:

I was using a Kangaskhan with the the move set: Sub, Sucker punch, Rage, and focus punch.

One battle, something strange happened:

Kang used substitute.
Krabby used mud shot!
Sub takes damage for Kang.

Kang used Rage!
Damage dealt yay!
Krabby used Mud shot!
Sub takes damage. (Rage is not boosted) (SUB IS NOT BROKEN)

Sub doll slides out, Kang does the focus punch animation thingy, sub slides back.
Krabby Used Mud Shot!
Kang takes damage (though the sub sprite is still there), loses a stage of speed, Rage builds, loses focus.

Now Kang's sprite is the Substitute doll, if I use substitute a new substitute doll comes in like normal. Kang is still the sub doll (it looks hilarious when a sub doll changes places with a sub doll and uses focus punch, then slides back again).
When switched out and back in, kang is back to normal.

I tried it again with rage, Sucker punch, and Sub and got the same result of bugged sprites. In fact, I was able to Rage, Sub, Rage, Sub, and a new sub would be made each time (The opponent never hit me, it was busy being a retard at the time). I was able to Sub, rage, rage, rage completely normal though.

So basically, if I use rage while behind a sub, then try to use any move other than rage, the sub disappears with no message or animation, and my pokemon is now the doll sprite.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And another bug with Rage and Confusion status:

Kang used Rage!
Damage dealt.
Nidorina used double kick.
2 hits, 2 boosts.

Kang used Rage.
Damage dealt.
Nidorina used flatter.
Sp atk up, Kang becomes confused.

Kang used Sub (no confusion message whatsoever)
Nidorina used Double kick.
Sub breaks on last hit.

Kang used sub (confusion completely gone).
Flatter fails.

Kang used rage.
Nidorina used Double kick.
sub breaks on last hit.

Kang used sucker punch. Fails.
Nidorina uses Flatter.
Kang is confused.

Kang uses sub (confusion message comes up).

So basically, if I use rage before I get confused, the message comes up, but no confusion actually happens. (I really hope this isn't a bug and is actually another awesome boost for rage)

Both of these were done in Diamond in the battle tower. When I went into wild battles and double trainer battles, I got all the same results.

I would really like someone else to recreate and confirm what happened here (or if someone already discovered this, that would be awesome too), because for all I know I'm actually asleep right now and this is a fucked dream, which explains the inconsistent capitalization of these words.

Edit: All this stuff happens on PBR also, except the dolls sliding in and out (because in PBR the dolls are present to do the attacks).
Could someone confirm this for Wi-Fi / link (or even in-game)?

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
I don't know if this has been brought up or tested before, but Grass Knot seems to have no reaction to gravity (though Gamefreak's done weirder things than increased gravity = increased weight, lol). Dusknoir took minimum damage for a 100BP Grass Knot, ruling out Gravity bumping it up in BP for whatever reason.

Flatter is a 1 stage boost. My Illumise used Flatter 7 times on a wild Bibarel, and it got a boost from each one except the last.

EDIT: Another person needs to test this for confirmation.

I went back and tried it your way and you're right, it doesn't work the 7th time. That's a much better approach than eyeballing the percents, though I'm going to go try it a few more times to be sure.

1) Why does a Pokemon holding Life Orb lose NO health when attacking a Substitute?

2) A clear bug that needs to be fixed in-game: Why the *fuck* does Sucker Punch work against an opponent using Substitute? This is just wrong. You can't use Substitute when Taunted, and Sucker Punch/Taunt are inverses of each other.

1) Why does a Pokemon holding Life Orb lose NO health when attacking a Substitute?

Because you aren't hitting the Pokemon itself. It's the same for if your attack misses.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
2) A clear bug that needs to be fixed in-game: Why the *fuck* does Sucker Punch work against an opponent using Substitute? This is just wrong. You can't use Substitute when Taunted, and Sucker Punch/Taunt are inverses of each other.
"It makes sense" isn't a good argument. Game Freak has done weird things before, as you can see from this and earlier research threads, and I'm afraid that the only answer to your question is "because it does".

I don't know if this has been brought up or tested before, but Grass Knot seems to have no reaction to gravity (though Gamefreak's done weirder things than increased gravity = increased weight, lol). Dusknoir took minimum damage for a 100BP Grass Knot, ruling out Gravity bumping it up in BP for whatever reason.
Yes, but in the Japanese version of the games they measure by mass, which isn't affected by gravitational pull. Potato pohtahtoe, but yeah.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Yes, but in the Japanese version of the games they measure by mass, which isn't affected by gravitational pull. Potato pohtahtoe, but yeah.
I can't help but be technical here, sorry...
The description of the move (the english translation, at least) bases the move on weight, not on mass; If it's worded similarly in the Japanese version, then even though gravity has no effect on mass, it would increase weight (which is generally constant and based on mass) which would in turn cause an increase in the power of the move. Of course, logically speaking, a move that implies knocking the foe over using their weight to deal damage wouldn't do much in a weightless environment, so the opposite would be true for a high-gravity situation.

In short, it was worth testing. >_____>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)