Pokémon Dragalge (HA confirmed to be Adaptability)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... maybe it's a good thing that Blissey isn't fairy-type.

And that Dragalge's such a glass cannon. Which I think, is its biggest obstacle.

So now that I'm super excited about Dragalge, I was thinking of making a team with it and MMawile. Any suggestions as to what Pokemon would complement these two? I'm thinking a Toxic Spikes Sp Def set on Dragalge (Since no Adaptability ingame yet) and a straight Adamant attacker set on Mawile.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's a glass cannon, even with only a small amount of HP it's taking laughable damage from bulky waters besides Slowbro and comfortably taking hits from the likes of Heracross locked into Close Combat if it needs to. I suspect it won't have too much trouble finding opportunities to come in and obliterate something.
So now that I'm super excited about Dragalge, I was thinking of making a team with it and MMawile. Any suggestions as to what Pokemon would complement these two? I'm thinking a Toxic Spikes Sp Def set on Dragalge (Since no Adaptability ingame yet) and a straight Adamant attacker set on Mawile.
Since MMawile is likely to struggle with bulky steels and both of these Pokemon hate ground attacks, your best bet is probably some sort of flying/levitating ground-type. Gliscor seems like a great option, since it can abuse Toxic Spikes with Subsitute and Poison Heal, maim steels with Earthquake and take on Earthquake-users all day with its bulk and ground immunity. If you go with this, you'll definitely want some way to exploit or threaten Skarmory, however, as it doesn't really care about Mawile or Gliscor and if specially defensive might concievably take a couple of Focus Blasts from Dragalge too.

Mawile can carry Fire Fang for Skarmory, which surprisingly:
- 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile Fire Fang vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 152-180 (46.48 - 55.04%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

...does quite a bit of damage. As a bonus, it grants perfect coverage alongside commonly carried Dark and Fairy.

Mega Mawile works great with pokemons like Gyarados imo. Gyarados resists both Fire and Ground, has Intimidate so physical attackers are almost sure to switch and heh. Can grab a DD on said switch too! Otherwise I send Goodra against special attackers that Mawile can't resist. Goodra can take even SE hits like a pro.

So... maybe it's a good thing that Blissey isn't fairy-type.

And that Dragalge's such a glass cannon. Which I think, is its biggest obstacle.
You should look a couple pages back where i showed the calcs how this thing can take hits from Banded Hera minus an EQ. Dragalges worst enemy in UU would be a Flygon at best only because both its STABS can okho Dragalge which is why Bronzong is preferred to cover it

Say, can Dragalge get Acid Spray view breeding? If you can lower their SpD 2 Stages, and Adapability move you do next will probably OHKO anything in the game that isn't immune to your attack

Dragalge has such a cool design, and although its initial two abilities suck, I'm glad that it gets Adaptability! Hopefully someone finds out how to get one in-game sometime soon so I can try it out. Some new Egg Moves wouldn't hurt either! I love its Sp. Def!

Unfortunately there is no In-Game way to get Adaptability Skrelp. Probaly it will be an event or something like that.
Can't wait for it :P

zferolie
Nope, there's no way for him getting Acid Spray. But an Acid Spray set sucked anyway imo.

Actually, when I said that I was specifically referring to Jirachi and specially defensive Metagross. But now that I had a chance to run some damage calcs, well...

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 80 SpD Cresselia: 284-336 (63.96 - 75.67%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 160 SpD Metagross: 176-208 (48.35 - 57.14%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 191-225 (47.27 - 55.69%)

Not even a bulky resist is going to want to tank that. It's so powerful, here's a quick comparison:

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 116-137 (28.71 - 33.91%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 139-164 (34.4 - 40.59%)

Obviously Fairies would try to switch in, but that's a bit dangerous:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Togekiss: 376-444 (100.8 - 119.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 336-396 (85.27 - 100.5%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 296-352 (82.22 - 97.77%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

So yeah, just a tad dangerous. Even the most specially defensive Fairy is likely OHKO'd by the wrong prediction.

Oh, and one for the lol-factor (since we now have the first and only Pokemon to be 4x weak to Poison):
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 1408-1664 (434.56 - 513.58%)

Dragalge = nuke.
Well you better carry Pink Blobs on a teams which aren't called Hyper Offense (so you can actually sacrifice your switches if needed) or ur in a lot of trouble. BTW Specially Defensive Jirachi with somewhat reliable recovery (Wish + Protect) should still be able to switch in more then once. Although if your opponent switches for example into Dugtrio, Gothilette or MegaGengar while you use Wish after Dragalge's Draco Meteor (I think you MUST use Wish after you switch after Draco Meteor or you won't be able to do it again) then ur screwed anyway. Or allow something else like Garchomp get his Swords Dance for free as you have only two options to do:
a) Switch out and let someone else take Wish. But it means you can't switch into Dragalge anymore unless you find some free turn to heal yourself on other Pokemon from opponents team.
b) Use Protect to heal yourself, but it's 100% free Swords Dance for Garchomp as an example here. It may be for example Quiver Dance Volcarona as well or SD Talonflame.

Well, the sheer amount of power Draco Meteor brings mean that you can actually buy free turns by just one, max two attacks (Draco Meteor + Sludge Wave) for your other Pokemon (like in an example I provided) if opponents switch-in doesn't have Pokemon which can handle it and have 1-turn reliable recovery. If your opponent uses Wish + Protect Pokemon to take Draco Meteor, you technically buy free turn for yourself or just need to sacrifice something.

And taking into account Dragalge good special bulk with GREAT resistances (Electric, Water, Grass, Fire, Poison, Fighting, etc.) with Toxic Spikes immunity means that finding that free turns to switch in should be easy as hell to do.

We probably look into one of the best wall-breakers in the game. Switching to this thing is a nightmare and unlike some other really powerful Specs users this one has pretty easy time finding those turns to switch-in and it's not hazards weak at all (Spikes are annoying, but that's it and we still have Defog/Rapid Spin/Magic Bounce to deal with those). I don't think it's broken, as it is slow as hell and easy to KO on physical side, but it looks like a top-tier threat once you provide it with good support (VoltTurn, etc.) although playing against it may be a real pain to deal with. Slower teams won't like this guy (and taking into account how suspectible to trapping things like Jirachi and Pink Blobs are) I would be really, really worried in a place of those teams.

To put things into perspective... When running a 252 HP / 252 Special Attack / 4 Sp Def Specs set Dragalge ends up with better stat points in every way except for Speed compared to Latios (and Attack but who cares). When using its NON STAB moves it still strikes with about 90% the power of Timid Latios.

Unlike Latios Dragalge isn't Pursuit weak and can laugh at Fairies. Dragalge is weak to Ground and Psychic but has the advantage of Fairy annihilating STAB Poison. I doubt this thing will end up OU, but might manage some niche role like one that Bronzong or Victini had... perfectly usable in OU, but didn't make the usage cutoff amount.

I really like dragalge and its typing . This looks like he will be uu most like. I would use a modest specs with mane some speed evs (well if it needs som just to outspeed certain mons ) or mane full in hp with Draco meteor , sludge bomb/wave , focus blast and hydro pump . Specs adaptability draco will surely put in serious damage . I wouldnt scarf this guy with that 44 base speed .

With hidden powers being so easy to get now once we figure out the hidden power IV determinator, I'm surprised no one has mentioned hidden power fire?

Its super effective vs almost all the stuff that walls its stabs: Mawile and Klefki

I don't have time to pull any numbers but I'm curious to see how much adding hp fire to his moveset would help.

Against steel fairies, it should be about as effective as focus blast with more reliable accuracy because 60bp*2 (super effective) = 120 which is just as good.

Only question is whether its worth replacing focus blast which I feel is a possibility. You can take on some things like: Scizor, Foretress, Ferrothorn etc (Who would otherwise get a few turns to set up entry hazards or KO back)

On a side note, I doubt this thing will ever solo a mawile that isn't weakened due to the fact that mawile outspeeds dragalge at 50 speed, but he can definitely tank a non swords danced hit and return a kill if he isn't switching in and mawile has sustained some damage.

Very bad typing for a sp def wall poison is weak to ground which would probably 1 hit ko it and plus tons of pokemon carry eq these days only thing i can see it doing to damaging the fairy type with poison type attacks i love its design though

Now thats a dangerous core. Defensive Bronzong and Spdef Dragalge (i know people are on the hypetrain over adaptability so humor me). These two basically cover each others weaknesses to a tee with even a defensive Dragalge with adaptability doing damage with a sludgebomb (since i assume one would use the d-tail, scald, sludgebomb set). I for one would not want to have to deal with this at all and the only thing i can currently think of to possibly try to predict around this is LO/SF Darmanitan
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 312-369 (92.3 - 109.17%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO

Jussayin. Even if Exca goes back to ubers, Mold Breaker Haxorus and Mega Gyarados with EQ bust right through Dragalge + Bronzong as well.

EDIT: I realize the potential tiering differences here, just thought I'd mention it for posterity's sake.

Not trying to speculate on tiers here, but mixed Hydreigon also comes to mind as a threat to the core (if it ever sees any play anymore.)

Last edited:
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 312-369 (92.3 - 109.17%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO

Jussayin. Even if Exca goes back to ubers, Mold Breaker Haxorus and Mega Gyarados with EQ bust right through Dragalge + Bronzong as well.

EDIT: I realize the potential tiering differences here, just thought I'd mention it for posterity's sake.

Not trying to speculate on tiers here, but mixed Hydreigon also comes to mind as a threat to the core (if it ever sees any play anymore.)
Well if you are running Dragalge Zong wont be running fireproof....jussayin!

But yeah mold breaker I know can handle these guys i didnt neglect that fact but in truth the ZongAlgea combo will be deadl

I´ve got a shiny calm skelps and I want to train him... but have no idea how spread the EVs. HP and SP Def? SP At and HP? What would you do?

Last edited:
Well if you are running Dragalge Zong wont be running fireproof....jussayin!

But yeah mold breaker I know can handle these guys i didnt neglect that fact but in truth the ZongAlgea combo will be deadl
You could always just add a Flying-type to compliment this defensive core like Mandibuzz or Gliscor or somethin' too. Maybe even an offensive guy like Talonflame or Megazard Y.

Choice Specs Dragalge holds a lot of potential, for sure. I runned it against many different pokemons and it worked well against lots of them. The set I runned was:

-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor (that depends on your choice, if you want staying power or immediate damage, the latter is more recommend since you will be switching more often due to choice specs)
-Sludge Wave (your main weapon against fairies, this is chosen over sludge bomb due to highier power and it gains more damage when used with adaptability, the chance to poison doesn't really matter)
-Focus Blast (For steel types that can wall both of dragalge's attacks)
-Shadow Ball/Surf/Thunderbolt (The former is chosen to hit Aegislash, so Dragalge won't be a totally bait against it. Alternatively, Surf and Thunderbolt have their own qualities and can be used as well if you are having problem against specific targets)

My two cents, Dragalge has so many resistances that it has plenty of opportunities to switch in and destroy something when played smart. It's packing one of the strongest Draco Meteors outside of ubers, that's nothing to scoff at.

What about an Assault Vest Dragalge just to make it's SDef stupidly high?

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Trait: Adaptability / Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald
- Focus Blast

Dragon Pulse preferred over Meteor so you can stay in longer and hit harder. Sludge Bomb + Scald to spread status (Bomb for poison on non-Steel/Poison types, Scald for Steel/Poison). Focus Blast for coverage. Lack of recovery hurts, but pair it with a wish-passer and you've got a special wall that will stick around for a long time.

I dunno if anyone said this since there are a ton of comments but why would you run Lefties on Dragalgae if he is a Poison Type. Put Black Sludge on him, just saying....

I dunno if anyone said this since there are a ton of comments but why would you run Lefties on Dragalgae if he is a Poison Type. Put Black Sludge on him, just saying....
Some people don't like to run Black Sludge because of Trick. If an opponent Tricks the Black Sludge off of you, they get poisoned, sure, but they also now have the ability to trick that Sludge onto one of your own Pokemon now, poisoning and crippling them in the process.

Opponent Tricks your Black Sludge off and Tricks it to another defensive mon of yours. One good reason not to have it.

EDIT: Shedinja'd

Opponent Tricks your Black Sludge off and Tricks it to another defensive mon of yours. One good reason not to have it.

EDIT: Shedinja'd
That's a risk with any Black Sludge User though, and it's used on them, so I don't necessarily think thats a good enough reason to not use it in my opinion. I didn't think of that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)