Pokémon Dragalge (HA confirmed to be Adaptability)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adaptability draco meteor and sludge bomb/wave....yes, please.

Now they just need to release it.

Has anyone tried breedng DD or Agility

I think it is important to note how well this thing checks so many special attackers and even a lot of physical attackers so well, since it resists 7 types (Electric, Fire, Water, 4x Grass, Bug, Fighting and Poison) while being immune to the Toxic that wears down so many other walls. In addition, though it has 5 weaknesses, the majority of Pokemon in 2 of those typings (Dragon, Ground) risk severe damage or being ruined by burn, and 2 more (Psychic, Fairy) are uncommon in terms of attack types. It also has plenty of special bulk to take the common non-STAB Ice Beams thrown about in every tier.
It has four weaknesses. The Poison typing removes Dragon's weakness to Fairy. So yeah, Fairies can't destroy this one with their STAB, but it can smash them with Adaptability boosted Poison attacks.

Adaptability draco meteor and sludge bomb/wave....yes, please.

Now they just need to release it.

Has anyone tried breedng DD or Agility
Y'know, I was thinking the exact same thing, and was aiming to catch myself some Horseas to level up in order to try passing DD on, but that base 44 speed and 75 base attack just makes it seem totally not worth it.

Agility seems like a slightly better prospect, but you'd have to use it at least twice before you're outspeeding anything worthwhile.

Obviously with that adaptability-boosted power as your nuclear warhead, it's natural to want to use speed as your delivery system, so to speak. However, Dragalge just doesn't have it. You're better off using your superb special defense to protect the payload until it can be delivered.

That or Trick Room. It might be tricky, but if you can safely pivot out of your trick room setter, you'll have four turns where you're almost guaranteed to inflict some horrific damage on your opponent with those horrendously powerful STABs.

As much as I like Dragalge, I have to say that Mega Mawile is his bane. She's immune to both his STABs, is neutral to Focus Blast, and nails his weaker defense with Huge Power Play Rough. If Dragalge gets Earth Power, that may alleviate some of the issues, but otherwise things don't look good for our dragony friend.
Actually...
252+ SpA Choice Specs (custom) Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD (Mega) Mawile: 183-216 (60.19 - 71.05%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs (custom) Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD (Mega) Mawile: 183-216 (75.93 - 89.62%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252+ Atk Huge Power (Mega) Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 204 HP / 0 Def (custom): 210-248 (72.16 - 85.22%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Either Mawile is running 252 HP, in which case you can and should outrun it and easily 2HKO with Focus Blast while living max damage Sucker Punch even after SR, or it is running speed, in which case any prior damage at all (say, switching into SR when it Megaevolves and again when it comes into Dragalge) and you have a shot at OHKOing it. Naturally if Mawile has not yet had a chance to megaevolve it has no hope of surviving Focus Blast. Of course you have to predict the switch and hit some focus misses, so it's not a clear thing, but MMawile is not a counter to Dragalge unless you run both bulk and speed - and needless to say if you do you're really, really wasting the potential of the strongest Pokemon in the game.

Now that it's confirmed that Dragalge has Adaptability, I decided to see what it could muster against some BW UU walls and tanks with a Choice Specs set. Yes, I did remember to factor in the reduced power of Draco Meteor and Steel's loss of resistance to Ghost.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: 168-198 (49.7 - 58.57%) -- 69.53% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs (custom) Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: 206-244 (60.94 - 72.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Cofagrigus: 362-428 (113.47 - 134.16%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 362-426 (108.38 - 127.54%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 250-295 (64.93 - 76.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs (custom) Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 462-544 (120 - 141.29%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 460-542 (117.04 - 137.91%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Togekiss: 376-444 (100.8 - 119.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Scrafty: 250-296 (74.85 - 88.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Scrafty: 182-216 (54.49 - 64.67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 338-398 (83.66 - 98.51%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Dusclops: 204-240 (71.83 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 236+ SpD Zapdos: 298-352 (77.8 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 20 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 452-532 (137.8 - 162.19%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 418-492 (104.23 - 122.69%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 228-270 (57.86 - 68.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs (custom) Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Empoleon: 206-244 (55.52 - 65.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs (custom) Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Empoleon: 260-306 (70.08 - 82.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Milotic: 316-372 (80.4 - 94.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, Dragalge's STAB can severely damage if not outright KO many of the common walls in UU. Of the few that can stand up to Poison/Dragon coverage, like Bronzong and Empoleon, most can be 2HKO'd by an appropriate coverage move. Also, consider that very few of these can do anything meaningful back to Dragalge thanks to its high Special Defense, immunity to poison, and myriad of resistances. 4MSS and its middling speed are the only things holding it back.

Draglge wouldstill have to watch out for EQs from stuff like Flygon, Darmanitan, and Heracross but in all other cases should now do okay

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Dragalge is screaming for an Assault Vest set to counter MegaGengar.

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Modest | 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
Adaptability
- Hydro Pump / Scald / Surf
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse

Gengar vs Dragalge: 252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. +1 248 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 90-106 (27.02 - 31.83%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Dragalge in return: 252+ SpA Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 266-314 (101.52 - 119.84%) -- guaranteed OHKO

More calcs later, perhaps.

This thing just went from "meh" to amazing for me.
As much as I like Dragalge, I have to say that Mega Mawile is his bane. She's immune to both his STABs, is neutral to Focus Blast, and nails his weaker defense with Huge Power Play Rough. If Dragalge gets Earth Power, that may alleviate some of the issues, but otherwise things don't look good for our dragony friend.
To be fair, Mega Mawile is the bane of pretty much everything not named Skarmory.

It has four weaknesses. The Poison typing removes Dragon's weakness to Fairy. So yeah, Fairies can't destroy this one with their STAB, but it can smash them with Adaptability boosted Poison attacks.
Oh right yeah, forgot about that. That will make it even better for checking otherwise dangerous special attackers like Sylveon then.

IT's times like this I did wish there was a way to get a hidden ability without having to catch an all new pokemon. I mean, it sucks if you are attached to your current pokemon, only to find out that it could be better with a different ability.

I know the Ability capsule lets you change from your 2 normal ones, but there should be a way to get a hidden ability on your pokemon. Perhaps a special personthat would teach your pokemon the hidden ability if you already had a pokemon with that hidden ability, to still keep it kinda hidden and you need to work to get it.

Because I love my tanky dragon, but wish it hit a little harder. If I got adapability I would still use my current set, I would just also be able to attack a little harder. Adabability Toxic Spikes Venoshock would HURT!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Can it breed with anything that gets agility? im going to try
Why would you want to run an Agility set on Dragalge anyway? Even if it did get it (idk if it does), base 44 Speed
Because I love my tanky dragon, but wish it hit a little harder. If I got adapability I would still use my current set, I would just also be able to attack a little harder. Adabability Toxic Spikes Venoshock would HURT!
Toxic Spikes is really for very specific threats on teams that use it. It doesn't have the capability of being a general hazard because there are so many things that are unaffected by it. In BW OU, I used it almost exclusively for Keldeo, Kyurem-B, weather starters, and a couple other assorted Pokemon, and I found that the range of Pokemon that Toxic Spikes is useful for isn't anywhere near worth running Venoshock for, especially when you could be running Sludge Bomb/Wave for Togekiss.

Why would you want to run an Agility set on Dragalge anyway? Even if it did get it (idk if it does), base 44 Speed
Toxic Spikes is really for very specific threats on teams that use it. It doesn't have the capability of being a general hazard because there are so many things that are unaffected by it. In BW OU, I used it almost exclusively for Keldeo, Kyurem-B, weather starters, and a couple other assorted Pokemon, and I found that the range of Pokemon that Toxic Spikes is useful for isn't anywhere near worth running Venoshock for, especially when you could be running Sludge Bomb/Wave for Togekiss.
It may not be as broken as stealth rock, but I like the move. It gives the foes a time limit on how long they can take to KO you. Works well with by quite beefy team(Chesnaught, this dragon, Ageislash). I probably won't run Venoshock,, but that's what I am using right now in game till I can get Sludge wave. it has proven squite good in the few online fights I have done. Toxic spikes has been the cause of my win a few times.

In terms of a defensive partner what could work well with Dragalge in UU. Its pretty much just got to be something that can take an Outrage, EQ, etc

Idk, I have high hopes for this thing. It appears to be an excellent Special Tank that can hit back as well, with an amazing defensive typing that synergizes quite well. Good moveset as well.

It could act as a tank with an air balloon, perhaps. Choice Specs user to give it some punch. It could be in a Trick Room team with life orb to destroy everything.

Maybe it could be a sleeper hit, who knows. I can't see it lower than UU for sure. It's too beastly.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wow, it seems Gamefreak really wants to correct Poison being literally the worst offensive type in the game prior to XY. Dragalge seems very interesting at the least; the epitome of balanced I'd say. On one hand, Adaptability is going to hurt with interesting typing. It's nice to see something that can make good use of it, anyone remember the days of lolHyper Beam Porygon-Z? That is some sweet special defense to ward away special Dragons and other aspiring checks. On the other, it's really slow, so in spite of its defensive prowess, there are several checks. Steel resists both STABs, with Ferrothorn laughing at everything Dragalge does. Weakness to EQ and average 65/90 physical defense are no fun, so there's quite a few Pokemon that can put a decent chunk into it. I can see this aiming high, perhaps giving some power to "semi-stall" teams, but something is giving me the "meh" factor. Maybe it's because this is one of the ugliest Pokemon I have ever seen :P

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Actually, every steel in uu is demolished by specs focus blast so unless something like jirachi drops the only defensive Pokemon it can't beat are cresselia and SDef mew, the latter falling to draco meteor if SR and 1 layer on spikes are on the field.
Actually, when I said that I was specifically referring to Jirachi and specially defensive Metagross. But now that I had a chance to run some damage calcs, well...

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 80 SpD Cresselia: 284-336 (63.96 - 75.67%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 160 SpD Metagross: 176-208 (48.35 - 57.14%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 191-225 (47.27 - 55.69%)

Not even a bulky resist is going to want to tank that. It's so powerful, here's a quick comparison:

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 116-137 (28.71 - 33.91%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 139-164 (34.4 - 40.59%)

Obviously Fairies would try to switch in, but that's a bit dangerous:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Togekiss: 376-444 (100.8 - 119.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 336-396 (85.27 - 100.5%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 296-352 (82.22 - 97.77%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

So yeah, just a tad dangerous. Even the most specially defensive Fairy is likely OHKO'd by the wrong prediction.

Oh, and one for the lol-factor (since we now have the first and only Pokemon to be 4x weak to Poison):
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability (custom) Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 1408-1664 (434.56 - 513.58%)

Dragalge = nuke.

Sounds like bronzong is a good candidate
Now thats a dangerous core. Defensive Bronzong and Spdef Dragalge (i know people are on the hypetrain over adaptability so humor me). These two basically cover each others weaknesses to a tee with even a defensive Dragalge with adaptability doing damage with a sludgebomb (since i assume one would use the d-tail, scald, sludgebomb set). I for one would not want to have to deal with this at all and the only thing i can currently think of to possibly try to predict around this is LO/SF Darmanitan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)