Eternal Flames [OU]

Introduction:

If any of you guys remember my previous team, A Flash from the Past, then you also probably know that I'm a huge fan of bulky offense teams, as they provide the right amount of both offense and defense for me to work with. Consequently, I always end up using the same Pokémon in most of my teams, so this time, I wanted to try something new. For the first time, I dare to use a non-standard set in any of my teams, which happens to be Taunt Heatran. Essentially, I never planned on using it, but I had to test it for the Heatran update I've been working on. After using it, I can honestly say that everyone else should give it a shot, as it will hardly let you down. Additionally, I've attempted to offer the best support possible for maximizing the potential of this set. As such, I've come here for others to give me some feedback on my newest team, or possibly for others to steal, although I'd rather not happen.

As such, I present...

Eternal Flames

A TauntTran based team, presented by Flashstorm1

About the name

I wanted to choose a name that made my team sound interesting. Originally, I went with "Erupting Weapon of Mass Destruction", but I felt it didn't describe my team as well as "Eternal Flames" does. Essentially, the word flames describes Heatran because it is a Fire-type, and the word eternal is used because Taunt Heatran is an underrated threat that will always be there and ready to cause teams trouble.

------------------

Preview:

------------------

For prose and additional information, here is a type resistance/weakness chart from the Marriland Team Builder application

------------------

Now, here's the main attraction!

------------------

Roserade (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb

First of all, I'd like to share that Roserade is truly an underestimated lead that should be considered more often, as it is one of the best anti-leads in the OU metagame, especially when you consider that it outspeeds Azelf and Aerodactyl before the Taunt. The main reason I chose a Roserade lead here was to prevent my opponent from setting up Stealth Rock, which, in turn, allows me to switch in Salamence as often as I require it, without having to worry about 25% of my health being gone. No one expects it either, which is a plus for me. I could've used Breloom, but I felt the added Speed was more beneficial to my team, as I needed to be able to outspeed such things as Empoleon and Metagross after they use Agility.I chose the moveset I am running because it best fits my team's needs.

Sleep Powder allows me to shut down most common leads without Lum Berry. Leaf Storm gives me a 210 BP attack after factoring in STAB, making it very powerful against Pokémon that don't resist it. Hidden Power Ground allows me to hit Heatran switch-ins for super effective; I didn't feel Hidden Power Fire or Ice was needed, as Scizor beats me anyways, and Roserade is too slow to outspeed most variants of Salamence. The EVs are also straight from the analysis, as I wanted to deal as much damage as possible. I'm considering using Sludge Bomb over Shadow Ball so I don't have to face the consequences of using Leaf Storm, but Steel-types like to come in on Roserade a lot, so I'm not too sure here.

Roserade benefits Heatran by taking Water-type attacks directed at it, while also providing a safe switch-in for Heatran by luring in Fire-type attacks.

How does Roserade handle the current top 10 leads in the OU metagame?

Metagross - Most Metagross leads don't carry Lum Berry, so I just hope Sleep Powder hits so I don't get KOed by Meteor Mash.

Azelf - Most Azelf will try to Taunt me, in which case, I still put it to sleep, as Choice Scarf allows me to outspeed Azelf.

Jirachi - Roserade is unable to outspeed ScarfAchi, so I'll go to Heatran to take the expected Iron Head, and either use Taunt or set up Stealth Rock after that.

Swampert - Normally, they won't risk staying in, although some players do keep it in for some odd reason. As always, I just use Sleep Powder so Swampert will have a lower chance of being able to set up Stealth Rock.

Aerodactyl - I'll normally use Leaf Storm which 2HKOes as they Taunt, or I'll use Sleep Powder to play it safe.

Infernape - I outspeed the standard Lead Infernape, so I put it to sleep before it can do anything to me.

Hippowdon - Leaf Storm is enough to scare it away, and Sleep Powder cripples possible switch-ins.

Bronzong - Bronzong can be a bit trouble, as Lum Berry is a common item on lead variants. I haven't come accross one yet, but I would probably attempt to put it to sleep regardless.

Ninjask - I outspeed the standard Ninjask with Choice Scarf, so I just hope they don't use Protect so I can outspeed and put them to sleep. If not, I can use Scizor to hit it with Bullet Punch.

Tyranitar - Leaf Storm deals a heavy amount of damage. It can also be crippled by Sleep Powder.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 228 HP/28 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Heatran is the main star of the show here, and after testing this set a bit, I think it has the potential to become one of Heatran's standard sets if people used it a little bit more. Heatran gives me a nice weapon against both offensive and stall teams, by making any attempts to set-up useless thanks to Taunt. I opted to use the defensive Taunt set instead of the offensive variant, as I wanted Heatran to have multiple opportunities to switch in, especially since it's the core of the team.

The set is, once again, taken straight from the analysis. 28 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed some variants of Tyranitar so I can hit them with Earth Power. The HP EVs give me optimal bulk, while max Special Attack allows Fire Blast to deal a respectable amount of damage to any pokemon. Taunt allow me to cripple incoming switch-ins such as Gyarados, by preventing them from using Dragon Dance. I opted for Stealth Rock over Metal Sound as I needed Stealth Rock somewhere on the team. Fire Blast is a great STAB move, having a 180 BP with STAB calculated. Earth Power allows me to deal a respectable amount of damage to Tyranitar and possible Heatran switch-ins.

I tend to find the strategy behind using the variant of Heatran simple. By using Taunt, I can freely switch in any of my Pokémon, as I no longer have to fear crippling status. Against Latias, I can switch in Salamence to taken the expected Surf, then to Scizor to take the obvious Dragon-type attack, and essentially trap it with Pursuit. If a Water-type comes in, I'll usually go to Starmie who can threaten most Water-types with a Life Orbed Thunderbolt. Against anything else, I'll usually go to Salamence and try to set up.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk/252 Spd/24 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Salamence has always been one of my favorite Pokémon ever since it was first introduced back in Ruby and Sapphire. Who doesn't love a dragon who can shoot freaking fire at you? Anyways, I picked Salamence as my team's main sweeper instead of say, Gyarados, because Salamence offers the immediate strrength I need to deal heavy damage during the middle portions of the game. In fact, I haven't used Salamence much in my bulky offenses teams, as I've mainly opted for the Classic MixMence set, but I figured DDMence would work great with Taunt support from Heatran.

I opted for max Speed on Salamence, as I'd prefer at least tying with Flygon and ScarfMence who try to revenge kill me. Other than that, the spread is exactly what you'd expect. The given Special Attack EVs allow me to OHKO Skarmory with Fire Blast, while the rest of the EVs go into Attack for maximum hitting power. Outrage deals a respectable amount of damage to anything, including Steel-types. Earthquake allows me to hit Steel-types expecting to wall me, such as Empoleon. Using Life Orb over Leftovers allows me to hit as hard as possible.

Salamence is a great Pokémon to accompany Taunt Heatran from my own experience. Since Taunt prevents the opponent from using status, I can easily switch in Salamence into defensively oriented Pokémon such as Blissey, and then proceed to set up from there, as Seismic Toss won't be doing enough to wear me down. Most of the time though, I like to switch in Salamence after one of my own Pokémon has fainted, as Intimidate can hamper most physical sweepers.

Salamence takes Fighting- and Fire-type attacks directed at Heatran, while Heatran makes a great switch-in to Dragon- and Ice-type attacks.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Oh no, another Scizor... well, I admit it is extremely overused, but people use it for a reason. This team needed a Pokémon to revenge kill threats such as DDMence, and Scizor was the best Pokémon for the job. Anyways, Scizor's sprite looks extremely bad ass! Other than that, I've been using Scizor on a lot of my bulky offense teams, so it shouldn't be too odd it makes another appearance here. If you hate Scizor, then you are just a jerk.

I had a tough choice deciding between the Choice Bander set and the bulky Swords Dancer set. Mainly, I wanted to use the SD set as it is capable of taking repeated hits thanks to Roost, and I get more power than through using Choice Band. However, I decided for Choice Band because I needed to be able to deal immediate damage with Bullet Punch to prevent Salamence from sweeping through my team. I opted for the EV spread from the analysis, as it gives me optimal bulk and a lot of Attack. U-Turn allows me to scout for counters, Bullet Punch revenges threatening Pokémon to my team, Superpower hits incoming Steel-types, while Pursuit allows me to "trap" pesky Psychic-types.

Scizor doesn't really benefit Heatran directly, except for luring in Fire-type attacks for a free Flash Fire boost. However, Scizor has managed to save my ass multiple times.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

I haven't used Life Orb Starmie before, except once on a Cursetar team I developed a few weeks ago. Regardless, I have heard just how much of an incredible sweeper it is, especially against offensive teams, so I wanted to give it a try just to see how it works. I picked this over the Rapid Spin support set for two reasons: 1) Roserade prevents Stealth Rock a fair amount of the time, and 2) I like the power the offensive set has to offer.

I used maximum Special Attack and Speed as I wanted Starmie to sweep as best as possible. Hydro Pump puts a major hurt in anything that doesn't resist, Ice Beam hits Latias who expect to set up on me, Thunderbolt hits Gyarados and Bulky Waters who give Heatran trouble, and Recover allows me to heal as needed.

Starmie supports Heatran by being my primary counter to Gyarados, as Taunt prevents it from setting up Dragon Dance. What I'll usually do is switch in Salamence to take the Waterfall, then Starmie to take the Stone Edge or Ice Fang, and then act accordingly from there. Starmie also takes Water-type attacks aimed at Heatran extremely well.

Tyranitar (M) @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Tyranitar is mainly filler, but I used the Dragon Dance variant in the team I used for World Cup, and I absolutely loved it, so I decided to use it again. Tyranitar is easily the most replaceable member of the team, but it's normally too good to pass up. The last time I used the Dragon Dance set, I could easily plow through weakened teams, just in case anyone doubts the power of this set.

The choice in attacks give me the best possible coverage. Crunch allows me to hit most Pokémon for neutral damage, while Stone Edge hits Flying-types who can cause problems. Fire Punch allows me to handily deal with Steel-types, in particular, Scizor, who can only take away about half of my health thanks to Babiri Berry. A Jolly nature is used so I can outspeed base 115's and below.

I have a specific strategy when using Tyranitar, as this teams hate Sandstorm being up for the most part. Normally, I save Tyranitar for late game when it is capable of sweeping through a team here. Now, Salamence and Tyranitar also are great offensive partners, especially on this team. Salamence will make Swampert and Machamp unable to successfully wall Tyranitar, meaning I can even sweep straight through most stall teams, as Crunch hits Rotom-A and Celebi, Stone Edge hits Gyarados and Blissey, while Fire Punch ruins Forretress.

------------------

Threat List:

I'll update later as I'm too lazy to do it right now.

Defensive Threats

Blissey:

Bronzong:

Celebi:

Cresselia:

Donphan:

Dusknoir:

Forretress:

Gliscor:

Gyarados:

Hippowdon:

Jirachi:

Rotom-A:

Skarmory:

Snorlax:

Suicune:

Swampert:

Tentacruel:

Tyranitar:

Vaporeon:

Zapdos:

Offensive Threats:

Azelf

Breloom

Dragonite

Dugtrio

Electivire

Gallade

Gengar

Gyarados

Heatran

Heracross

Infernape

Jolteon

Kingdra

Lucario

Machamp

Magnezone

Mamoswine

Metagross

Porygon-Z

Salamence

Scizor

Starmie

Suicune

Togekiss

Tyranitar

Weavile

Yanmega

Zapdos

------------------

Team Building Process:

I will update this at a later time as well.

------------------

Current Problems:
  • Lack of a Rock-type resist
  • Lack of an additional switch in to Ground-type attacks which can give my team trouble
Final Thoughts:

I'm going to admit I haven't used this team much, particularly since I only started working on the Heatran update just recently. However, out of the battles I've been in, I feel this team has good potential, so I think that with everyone's help and support, we can finally make Taunt a standard option on Heatran instead of the Choice Scarf and Substitute sets everyone uses.

Thanks for everyone who took a look at my thread, and all comments and suggestions are welcome

Wow; great team. (just like ur last one too)

There's nothing much you really have to worry about except possibly Gyarados and Lucario. Gyarados takes a lot of damage from Leaf Storm and coupled with Stealth Rock usually means it will only be taking down Roserade (scizor will revenge after). But I'm more concerned about Lucario. How would you handle a +2 Lucario if Salamence has attacked even once (Rocks + 10% from LO means +1 XSpeed KOs)? I'm assuming this is near late-game, so they'd probably have their Rocks up by now (I don't think it's best to leave your Stealth Rock lead like Swampert or even Metagross against a Roserade, which would obviously Sleep Powder regardless of its item, but maybe others do)

I'd replace Starmie with Latias, because according to Starmie's role in the team, Latias serves it better along with adding another ground immunity. I'd go with the life orb set.
Latias @life orb
4 hp/252 SpA/252 Spe Timid Nature (+spe,-atk)
-dragon pulse
-thunderbolt
-surf
-recover
Provides almost the same type coverage as Starmie, with superior Special attack, and since Heatran prevents dragon dances, it won't be outsped by Gyarados. It also sponges water attacks better due to more bulk. Although it still leaves Lucario problems.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Pretty good team but I really don't see the point of taunt on tran, I guess it can work well with stall teams, but things that setup hazards such as skarm and forre arent staying in on heatran anyways. Also some stall teams pack starmie so that kind of ruins the idea of being able to mess around with stall teams. Also your heatran isnt fast enough to taunt a gyra from DDing like said in your starmies description.

Another thing that scares me is that LO gyrados with just 1 dragon dance has the potential to sweep your team, you would have to depend a lot on roserade to come in and try to dent it with leafstorm. You also state that you use starmie as your counter and having to mess around with it. I know you are trying to use starmie as a sweeper and all, but without rapid spin why not just use vappy as a for sure gyra counter?

Not really much of a rate just somethings I thought I might point out

I'd replace Starmie with Latias, because according to Starmie's role in the team, Latias serves it better along with adding another ground immunity. I'd go with the life orb set.
Latias @life orb
-dragon pulse
-thunderbolt
-surf
-recover
Provides almost the same type coverage as Starmie, with superior Special attack, and since Heatran prevents dragon dances, it won't be outsped by Gyarados. It also sponges water attacks better due to more bulk. Although it still leaves Lucario problems.
well one better thing about Starmie is it outruns thoose 350 speed pokemon such as latias, gengar. and I believe creates a speed tie with azelf. Starmie has it uses as well there is no need to always dump off another good pokemon for latias. Being different is good ^^

I see a Gyarados weakness. It easily comes in on Heatran, and since you are slow, Heatran can't Taunt it before it Dragon Dances. Since Starmie is likely not at full health will probably be OHKOed by Stone Edge, or Bounce. Waterfall destroys Tyranitar, Heatran, and eventually Scizor who can't do much back. Stone Edge gets Salamence. This leaves Roserade. If Gyarados gets more than one dance, then it can kill Roserade too, and even if it didn't, I don't think Leaf Storm will OHKO a near full health Gyarados. So your pretty much relying on Salamence to Intimidate it.

A few changes I'd make to help against Gyarados: Give Starmie Expert Belt > Life Orb. I'm not sure if it can still survive a Bounce, but probably still a Stone Edge.

Next, I suggest trying a more offensive Heatran.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Hidden Power Electric
~ Stealth Rock / Taunt

I don't see Taunt doing much to stuff like Gyarados since you're so slow. This set has HP Electric to lure and kill Dos. Stealth Rock is probably best in the last spot. Although without Taunt status will be annoying, its still seems managable. Scizor still switches into Blissey easily enough.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DD Tyranitar is a good sweeper but it really seems to be just slapped onto the team here. In terms of team support, it is hindering you a lot more than helping you - Sandstream further weakens Starmie and Salamence in addition to their LOs, Tyranitar shares a lot of weaknesses with Heatran and so does a poor job of supporting it, and it doesn't help you much at all against several prominent sweepers that currently threaten your team. While your CB Scizor holds many threats at bay, it is also a free set up for several other threats that your team can't handle too well.

Lucario slaughters your team after setting up on Scizor's Pursuit, and once its got that SD in your Salamence is the only Pokemon that can survive an attack from it, and that just barely. Similarly, Gyarados can set up on any of Scizor's attacks, and you have to resort to revenge killing it with Roserade since it threatens all your Pokemon and you have no safe switchin for it (your Starmie will get OHKOed by a +1 LO Earthquake or Stone Edge). Agility Metagross threatens your team somewhat as well if it can Agi up on Scizor, particularly if it's carrying a LO. Your Roserade's HP Ground only does 60% damage on average to a 4 HP Metagross, and the majority of AgiliGross run more bulk than that. All three of these sweepers can OHKO the majority of your team, and those they can't can hardly touch them back. I think replacing Tyranitar with the following Rotom set would help your team out overall a lot more:

Rotom-A @ Leftovers
Timid | 108 HP / 200 SpA / 200 Spe
Substitute / Charge Beam / Shadow Ball / HP Fighting or Thunderbolt

Rotom works a lot better with Heatran than Tyranitar ever could. Basically it uses the only Blissey set that isn't stopped cold by TauntTran - Blissey with Seismic Toss - as a completely free set up. Even Blissey that run Flamethrower will lose one on one, since the HP EVs guarantee that Blissey will be unable to break Rotom's Subs, and so Rotom can get to +6 and then 2HKO it with either of Thunderbolt or HP Fighting (and once Blissey is down, what can stop Starmie?). It also supports Heatran type-wise, much unlike Tyranitar, and provides immunities to Ground and Fighting and can threaten Water-types with STAB Electric attacks. On a team based around Heatran, you really should be looking for more than one Ground immunity, especially one as frail as Salamence.

In addition to being a great complimentary sweeper to Heatran, Rotom also serves as a check to the sweepers that threaten your team currently. The Speed EVs let Rotom hit 283 Speed, and it can therefore check Lucario quite well. Thunderbolt / HP Fighting don't OHKO, but they do do a big chunk and bring Lucario easily into Bullet Punch kill range. Even with this minimal HP investment, Rotom can serve to check Gyarados well and can safely switch in at least once. And like always, Metagross fails to leave much of an impact on Rotom formes. Try it out, it's actually a surprisingly bulky and effective sweeper and pairs up excellently with the rest of your team. If you want to take it even further, replacing Roserade's Shadow Ball with Toxic Spikes (since Rotom now provides a means of dealing with opposing Rotoms as well) means Blissey goes down even easier, and gives Heatran, Starmie and Rotom (who has to sacrifice less health beating Bliss) much more free reign.

Good luck with your team.

Since LR covered a lot of the potential problems your team has, I'll just address one thing. So you have HP Ground on Roserade, but for what? Its obviously for Heatran, yet your team has ample Heatran coverage in Starmie and Tyranitar. Seems HP Ice would be the better fit to also prevent DD Mence from rampaging through your team.

If you really are all that concerned about Lucario, and don't want to use Substitute Rotom as LR suggested, feel free to run Roost Mixmence. I'm sure you know the standard set (Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Brick Break, Roost). This set will obviously increase survivability at the expense of a bit of power and type coverage, though it might be what your team needs for that extra 'edge'. Also complements the HP Ice suggestion better than a Rotom switch, for then Subtran might be a major problem with the removal of Tyranitar.

As others have stated lucario and Offensive gyra can wreak havoc to the team due to a lack of a poke that can sponge its attacks. Because faster leads like azelf can set up SR on roserade, sala can easily be worn out opening the sweep for lucario. So I have a few suggestions.

1. Change Starmie to Vaporeon. Vap can take gyras attacks and hit back hard with HP electric. Furthermore it can back up sala with wish support so he can stay around longer (most of todays teams are weak to mix DDsala).

2. With vap taking care of Gyra, change heatran to the scarf set so you can elimate your SDcario weakness. Scarftran also gives you insurance for late game clean up.

3. LO Starmie is a great sweeping poke when its counters are eliminated or weakened. So if you would like to keep it I really like LR's suggestion with rotom in place of ttar (the thing is annoying as hell to face).

Here are just a couple of suggestions to look at.
All in all though nice team :)

Wow; great team. (just like ur last one too)

There's nothing much you really have to worry about except possibly Gyarados and Lucario. Gyarados takes a lot of damage from Leaf Storm and coupled with Stealth Rock usually means it will only be taking down Roserade (scizor will revenge after). But I'm more concerned about Lucario. How would you handle a +2 Lucario if Salamence has attacked even once (Rocks + 10% from LO means +1 XSpeed KOs)? I'm assuming this is near late-game, so they'd probably have their Rocks up by now (I don't think it's best to leave your Stealth Rock lead like Swampert or even Metagross against a Roserade, which would obviously Sleep Powder regardless of its item, but maybe others do)
Pretty good team but I really don't see the point of taunt on tran, I guess it can work well with stall teams, but things that setup hazards such as skarm and forre arent staying in on heatran anyways. Also some stall teams pack starmie so that kind of ruins the idea of being able to mess around with stall teams. Also your heatran isnt fast enough to taunt a gyra from DDing like said in your starmies description.

Another thing that scares me is that LO gyrados with just 1 dragon dance has the potential to sweep your team, you would have to depend a lot on roserade to come in and try to dent it with leafstorm. You also state that you use starmie as your counter and having to mess around with it. I know you are trying to use starmie as a sweeper and all, but without rapid spin why not just use vappy as a for sure gyra counter?

Not really much of a rate just somethings I thought I might point out
I see a Gyarados weakness. It easily comes in on Heatran, and since you are slow, Heatran can't Taunt it before it Dragon Dances. Since Starmie is likely not at full health will probably be OHKOed by Stone Edge, or Bounce. Waterfall destroys Tyranitar, Heatran, and eventually Scizor who can't do much back. Stone Edge gets Salamence. This leaves Roserade. If Gyarados gets more than one dance, then it can kill Roserade too, and even if it didn't, I don't think Leaf Storm will OHKO a near full health Gyarados. So your pretty much relying on Salamence to Intimidate it.

A few changes I'd make to help against Gyarados: Give Starmie Expert Belt > Life Orb. I'm not sure if it can still survive a Bounce, but probably still a Stone Edge.

Next, I suggest trying a more offensive Heatran.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Hidden Power Electric
~ Stealth Rock / Taunt

I don't see Taunt doing much to stuff like Gyarados since you're so slow. This set has HP Electric to lure and kill Dos. Stealth Rock is probably best in the last spot. Although without Taunt status will be annoying, its still seems managable. Scizor still switches into Blissey easily enough.
As others have stated lucario and Offensive gyra can wreak havoc to the team due to a lack of a poke that can sponge its attacks. Because faster leads like azelf can set up SR on roserade, sala can easily be worn out opening the sweep for lucario. So I have a few suggestions.

1. Change Starmie to Vaporeon. Vap can take gyras attacks and hit back hard with HP electric. Furthermore it can back up sala with wish support so he can stay around longer (most of todays teams are weak to mix DDsala).

2. With vap taking care of Gyra, change heatran to the scarf set so you can elimate your SDcario weakness. Scarftran also gives you insurance for late game clean up.

3. LO Starmie is a great sweeping poke when its counters are eliminated or weakened. So if you would like to keep it I really like LR's suggestion with rotom in place of ttar (the thing is annoying as hell to face).

Here are just a couple of suggestions to look at.
All in all though nice team :)
On paper, I did sort of catch the Gyarados weakness, but I never really paid too much attention to it, seeing as I had both a Roserade and Scizor to keep it in check. However, it is not I realize that having to give up those Pokémon will leave another hole in my team, so I thank you guys for reminding me that I need a definite check against it. My main strategy so far has been to Taunt in switch-ins with Heatran on the first turn, then just run the strategy outlined in the OP.

As for the Vaporeon suggestion, I'm not exactly sure how that would fit in my team. Normally, I've been taught that a bulky offense team requires every Pokémon to have a form of offense while working around through type resistances. I'm not exactly sure how Vaporeon would fit that bill. Sure, it can pass Wish around through my weakened team members, but then, wouldn't it mean things like Salamence and Breloom can set up on me? Of course, I'll test the suggestion to see how it goes, but I wanted some initial response to this worry.

Also, this leads to another post...

DD Tyranitar is a good sweeper but it really seems to be just slapped onto the team here. In terms of team support, it is hindering you a lot more than helping you - Sandstream further weakens Starmie and Salamence in addition to their LOs, Tyranitar shares a lot of weaknesses with Heatran and so does a poor job of supporting it, and it doesn't help you much at all against several prominent sweepers that currently threaten your team. While your CB Scizor holds many threats at bay, it is also a free set up for several other threats that your team can't handle too well.

Lucario slaughters your team after setting up on Scizor's Pursuit, and once its got that SD in your Salamence is the only Pokemon that can survive an attack from it, and that just barely. Similarly, Gyarados can set up on any of Scizor's attacks, and you have to resort to revenge killing it with Roserade since it threatens all your Pokemon and you have no safe switchin for it (your Starmie will get OHKOed by a +1 LO Earthquake or Stone Edge). Agility Metagross threatens your team somewhat as well if it can Agi up on Scizor, particularly if it's carrying a LO. Your Roserade's HP Ground only does 60% damage on average to a 4 HP Metagross, and the majority of AgiliGross run more bulk than that. All three of these sweepers can OHKO the majority of your team, and those they can't can hardly touch them back. I think replacing Tyranitar with the following Rotom set would help your team out overall a lot more:

Rotom-A @ Leftovers
Timid | 108 HP / 200 SpA / 200 Spe
Substitute / Charge Beam / Shadow Ball / HP Fighting or Thunderbolt

Rotom works a lot better with Heatran than Tyranitar ever could. Basically it uses the only Blissey set that isn't stopped cold by TauntTran - Blissey with Seismic Toss - as a completely free set up. Even Blissey that run Flamethrower will lose one on one, since the HP EVs guarantee that Blissey will be unable to break Rotom's Subs, and so Rotom can get to +6 and then 2HKO it with either of Thunderbolt or HP Fighting (and once Blissey is down, what can stop Starmie?). It also supports Heatran type-wise, much unlike Tyranitar, and provides immunities to Ground and Fighting and can threaten Water-types with STAB Electric attacks. On a team based around Heatran, you really should be looking for more than one Ground immunity, especially one as frail as Salamence.

In addition to being a great complimentary sweeper to Heatran, Rotom also serves as a check to the sweepers that threaten your team currently. The Speed EVs let Rotom hit 283 Speed, and it can therefore check Lucario quite well. Thunderbolt / HP Fighting don't OHKO, but they do do a big chunk and bring Lucario easily into Bullet Punch kill range. Even with this minimal HP investment, Rotom can serve to check Gyarados well and can safely switch in at least once. And like always, Metagross fails to leave much of an impact on Rotom formes. Try it out, it's actually a surprisingly bulky and effective sweeper and pairs up excellently with the rest of your team. If you want to take it even further, replacing Roserade's Shadow Ball with Toxic Spikes (since Rotom now provides a means of dealing with opposing Rotoms as well) means Blissey goes down even easier, and gives Heatran, Starmie and Rotom (who has to sacrifice less health beating Bliss) much more free reign.

Good luck with your team.
This seems like a nice suggestion I completely ignored during the team building process, so thanks LR.

I admit that I wasn't sure exactly how Tyranitar ended up on the team. My main thought process was that it could come in on a Pursuit aimed at Starmie, or anything else that wouldn't KO and that in turn, would allow me to set up. Yeah, I noticed the issues with present Sandstorm too, so I'm happy to replace it.

I've actually used SubRotom-A before, except I ran Will-O-Wisp over HP Fighting to cripple Tyranitar, Scizor, etc. For my team, do you think I should go with Will-O-Wisp or HP Fighting? Additionally, if I opt to use Rotom-A, does anyone think Vaporeon would slow down my team too much if I replaced it over Starmie? What I like about Starmie is that it beats a lot of its "counters" like Scizor and Tyranitar while bulkier versions can't.

Since LR covered a lot of the potential problems your team has, I'll just address one thing. So you have HP Ground on Roserade, but for what? Its obviously for Heatran, yet your team has ample Heatran coverage in Starmie and Tyranitar. Seems HP Ice would be the better fit to also prevent DD Mence from rampaging through your team.

If you really are all that concerned about Lucario, and don't want to use Substitute Rotom as LR suggested, feel free to run Roost Mixmence. I'm sure you know the standard set (Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Brick Break, Roost). This set will obviously increase survivability at the expense of a bit of power and type coverage, though it might be what your team needs for that extra 'edge'. Also complements the HP Ice suggestion better than a Rotom switch, for then Subtran might be a major problem with the removal of Tyranitar.
I suppose I could switch to Hidden Power Ice, but when I use Roserade to kill something, I usually use Leaf Storm to get the job done. I'll test Hidden Power Ice though over Ground, but since I hardly ever use the attack, I don't think it matters.

I also like the Classic MixMence suggestion, but do you think I need it with Heatran's Taunt already crippling most stall teams? I do appreciate the ability to heal off damage, but I'm not sure if it's worth the exchange in power. I'll test it, along with Vaporeon, to see how it goes.

Latias @life orb
-dragon pulse
-thunderbolt
-surf
-recover
I appreciate the suggestion here. However, the reason I chose Starmie for that specific slot was that I wanted to use a Pokémon relatively unfamilar to me, and I used Latias on my World Cup team, so I wanted to try something different.

---

Also, did anyone else notice the big Tyranitar weakness I have on this team? According to the Team Builder app, I have no Pokémon that resist Rock-type attacks, meaning CBTar's Stone Edge can give me hell. I was considering using Machamp or Lucario over DDTar, but after reading the Rotom-A suggestion, I'm not sure which to use.

Any thoughts?

Also, thanks to everyone for their useful feedback!

P.S. Someone PM'd where were I got the alternate sprites in the "Preview" section. I got them from Pokesho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)