• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
The most inspirational quote you say? No problem:

Winston Spencer Churchill said:
We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.
After the evacuation at Dunkirk.

Hmm, 2 interesting ones.

As I lie in my bed at night and look up at the stars, I think to myself, "Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day; light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I've found that over the years, one quote and one song have resonated with me more than most any others.

I'm not sure who first said this, but it's something my father told me many times when I was younger and I've found it to be quite true, I even used it as my senior quote in my high school yearbook:

"The strong man takes from the weak man, but the smart man takes from the strong man."
The song is a Dave Matthews Band song, The Dreaming Tree:

Dave Matthews Band said:
Standing here
The old man said to me,
"Long before these crowded streets
Here stood my dreaming tree."
Below it he would sit
For hours at a time
Now progress takes away
What forever took to find

And now he's falling hard
He feels the falling dark
How he longs to be
Beneath his dreaming tree

Conquered fear to climb
A moment froze in time
When the girl who first he kissed
Promised him she'd be his
Remembered mother's words
There beneath the tree
"No matter what the world
You'll always be my baby."
"Mommy come quick,
The dreaming tree has died."
The air is growing thick
A fear he cannot hide
The dreaming tree has died

Oh, have you no pity?
This thing I do
I do not deny it
All through this smile
As crooked as danger
I do not deny
I know in my mind
I would leave you now
If I had the strength to
I would leave you up
To your own devices
Will you not talk?
Can you take pity?
I don't ask much
But won't you speak, please?

From the start
She knew she had it made
Easy up 'til then
For sure she'd make the grade
Adorers came in hordes
To lay down in her wake
Gave it all she had
But treasures slowly fade
Now she's falling hard
Feels the fall of dark
How did this fall apart?
She drinks to fill it up
A smile of sweetest flowers
Wilted so and soured

Black tears stain the cheeks
That once were so admired

She thinks when she was small
There on her father's knee
How he had promised her,
"You'll always be my baby."
"Daddy come quick,
The dreaming tree has died
I can't find my way home
There is no place to hide
The dreaming tree has died."

Oh, if I had the strength to
I would leave you up
To your own devices
Will you not talk?
Can you take pity?
I don't ask much
But won't you speak, please?

*******************************Something Spoken By Dave (Unknown)********

Take me back, take me back, take me back...

Save me please.
I interpert the first bolded lyrics as a metaphor for the encroachment of technology (progress) on nature (what forever took to find), and by extension a way of saying that humanity needs to respect nature and natural law, rather than try to bend it to our will. After all, we are all creatures of nature, and we are all subject to its laws in the end.

The second bolded lyrics seem to fit in with my first quote, in stressing the importance of education and knowledge. That part of the song is quite obviously about a woman who got through life on looks alone, and her mouring getting older and loosing her beauty (as treasures slowly fade).

On the whole though, I interpert the song as the mouring of an old, idealized way of life- the lament of an older person romanticizing the old way of doing things, and worrying and fearing the change that is now upon them.

Also, I would like to say that I absolutely loved Animal Farm, it's one of my all time favorite books. No doubt it teaches a valuable lesson about the perils of ignorance and the importance of knowledge and intellectual curiousity, and I would suggest that anyone who hasn't read it do so when they get the chance.

I'll update this post periodically as I find/remember other inspirational quotes and lyrics.

Azure Demon

Hmm, 2 interesting ones.

As I lie in my bed at night and look up at the stars, I think to myself, "Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day; light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Lol these are 2 of the best ones.lol

Right after the strong man takes from the weak. one. that was quite clever

Azure Demon

I've found that over the years, one quote and one song have resonated with me more than most any others.

I'm not sure who first said this, but it's something my father told me many times when I was younger and I've found it to be quite true, I even used it as my senior quote in my high school yearbook:

The song is a Dave Matthews Band song, The Dreaming Tree:

I interpert the first bolded lyrics as a metaphor for the encroachment of technology (progress) on nature (what forever took to find), and by extension a way of saying that humanity needs to respect nature and natural law, rather than try to bend it to our will. After all, we are all creatures of nature, and we are all subject to its laws in the end.

The second bolded lyrics seem to fit in with my first quote, in stressing the importance of education and knowledge. That part of the song is quite obviously about a woman who got through life on looks alone, and her mouring getting older and loosing her beauty (as treasures slowly fade).

On the whole though, I interpert the song as the mouring of an old, idealized way of life- the lament of an older person romanticizing the old way of doing things, and worrying and fearing the change that is now upon them.

Also, I would like to say that I absolutely loved Animal Farm, it's one of my all time favorite books. No doubt it teaches a valuable lesson about the perils of ignorance and the importance of knowledge and intellectual curiousity, and I would suggest that anyone who hasn't read it do so when they get the chance.

I'll update this post periodically as I find/remember other inspirational quotes and lyrics.
This one was quite awesome i like all of the metaphors in this and even better you were able to understand it on your own
has to be the one with the most thought and meaning in it.
Great pick

I can't remember it exactly, but one that I try to live by is (paraphrased):

"It's better to regret doing something than regret not doing it"

basically, take chances, something good might happen, but if you don't take the chance you'll never know and could be missing out on something awesome

How could I forget these 2 wonderful movie phrases

"You fuck with me, you fuck with the best!"

"Say hello to my little friend!"-takes out shotgun-

Azure Demon

How could I forget these 2 wonderful movie phrases

"You fuck with me, you fuck with the best!"

"Say hello to my little friend!"-takes out shotgun-
Good old Scarface

How about this one?

I can tell By the look on your face man. Dat you got a little weeiner and some tiny nuts.
Here is a hint the guy he was talking to was serving orderves at a party.

My favorite quote from Pokemon Crystal:

"Behold by graceful BALL dexterity!" - Juggler Irwin, Route 35

I lol'd so hard at this when I recently played through my Crystal (which still works!) after the anouncement of HGSS.

"So long as there are men will there be wars." and
"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
Steve Prefontaine

One of my favorite Pre quotes. It inspires me not only in my running but everyday life.

im going to be a college wrestler so these impact me.

“The 1st period is won by the best technician. The 2nd period is won by the kid in the best shape. The 3rd period is won by the kid with the biggest heart.”
-- Dan Gable

in Africa, every morning a gazelle wakes up and knows that it must run faster than the fastest lion in order to survive...

every morning, a lion wakes up and knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle in order to not starve...

so, whether you are a lion or a gazelle you must wake up each morning running!

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Before my Grandpa died he kept a plaque in his room that said, "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." It was very fitting of his personal humor.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"The root problem with Christianity is that their god is supposed to be all-powerful and benevolent. It sounds like an easy sell; but when life turns completely to shit, you have to come up with all kinds of whacked-out reasons for why kindly old Jehovah saw fit to run over little Timmy with a combine harvester and leave him in a state of vegetative, limbless agony for eighteen years. Ancient cultures didn't have that problem. They knew their gods were a bunch of drunken lunatics who ran around boning their close relatives and turning their ghoulies into fruit-bearing trees."

That pretty much sums up why you shouldn't have to listen to stupid Christains.
Why, do you still listen to stupid non-Christians? I prefer to avoid listening to stupid people in their entirety.

Benjamin Franklin said:
Those who would give up essential liberty for a little security deserve neither.
Patrick Henry said:
I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
You must always defend what is virtuous, even if it is unpopular, even if you must risk your life, health, or reputation to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)