Feature of the Week

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I had a conversation with Articuno64 tonight, and I think this would be a real great idea for getting the community efforts more FOCUSED.

<chris> To get the community more "focused" on worthwhile projects and to keep users checking Smogon occasionally
<chris> I am thinking of starting a "Feature of the Week" project, where I ask for ideas, and we pick one Pokemon or article to completely redo
<chris> and make absolutely amazing
<chris> in other words, perfect
<chris> and on the main page we show the feature of the week and obviously, change it every week
<chris> so people will check back more often and know what we updated
<Articuno64> i think i'd like that
<Articuno64> if i had time, i could probably write pages on certain pokemon and how to use them effectively
<chris> well yeah like if we pick a pokemon article
<chris> instead of just putting sets
<chris> we would collabarate and list damage that it can do to common pokemon
<chris> kind of like mekkahs magic number guide
<Articuno64> well people could do that i suppose
<Articuno64> i don't really like that type of thing personally since everyone uses different EVs
<Articuno64> but everyone else seems to like it
<Articuno64> that's more of a useful thing for RBY
<chris> We could give a generic run down
<chris> maybe not exact numbers since thats impossible
<chris> "with so many evs, metagross 2hkos skarm with tpunch"
<Articuno64> yeah
<Articuno64> you could say "that assumes a certain skarm EV set, disclaimer: people use unique EVs"

Ideas? Ideas for the first Feature of the week?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well I think it is definitely a pretty good idea. Perhaps if we select a Pokemon like, say, Snorlax, we can re-do the guides for all three generations. That gives RBY and GSC experts something to do as well and kills two-three birds with one stone in some circumstances. Last I checked (a while back on the old forum, mind you) GSC guides weren't even all written.

I like this, why not get the most annoying Pokemon out of the way first, like Dugtrio. : )

I think a completely dominant pokemon such as meta, sala, hera, zappy, lax, etc. should be covered in order to show people that smogon knows what it's talking about. After that has been established, I think the "Feature of the Week" should become lesser used and funner pokes.

skarm said:
Well I think it is definitely a pretty good idea. Perhaps if we select a Pokemon like, say, Snorlax, we can re-do the guides for all three generations. That gives RBY and GSC experts something to do as well and kills two-three birds with one stone in some circumstances. Last I checked (a while back on the old forum, mind you) GSC guides weren't even all written.
Highly agreeing. No tauros guide on the rby site is kind of bleh. Though most of the traffic smogon gets is obviously going to be for advanced, moving to dp eventually, more useful rby and gsc information would be lovely.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
It wouldn't just be Pokemon. It could be anything from an analysis to an article to a walkthrough to gathering information for the dex.

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
Nate, the RBY guides are still getting added to the dex dude ;) and iirc i sent tauros to hazerider today

I agree with jp on this one. Do some of the most OU (zapdos), gayest (skarm), and uber (celebi), first, to get participation levels high.

Also, to get more involvement, I suggest a place where we can submit articles, other than the specific boards, for review by admins, or people who know what they are talking about, not some random people who post things like "well I don't know if cb gengar is such a good idea because gengar has lower attack than special attack!!!" etc.

I agree with pup, also people well "competing" ( for the lack of a better word) for their analysis to be posted would be cool.

chaos

Owner
pup, this whole forum here is for submitting Articles and such. Contributors can post their articles in the private forum too.

This would be awesome for RBY. We could go down Hip's tiers list, probably, starting with the ubers (Mew / Mewtwo)... I feel like if everyone paid attention, these could be really awesome, yeah. =)

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
requesting funny hat day. wear a funny hat and take a picture. my study shows pokemoners like other pokemoners when they are wearing funny hats.

That would be so lame..."hey look its smogon the only thing they know is to take pics of themselves with stupid hats lol XD"

Well, maybe if this were a humour issue, it could be nice. Like, Feature of the week: GSC Snorlax, and as a bonus a picture of Yuri with a pencilcase in his mouth!

(chose me because I didn't fell like using someone's else name in that shit)

Edit: fixed a mispelling.

I like this idea... This could really work... how about some GSCand Rby articles... there are none... I think this could be used to explain every pokemon is good in its own special way even something with a complete disadvantage could even work... Fuck yea I KOed a team with Swampert and stuff (and the guy was decently skilled) with crap NU/UU pratically cept a Gardevoir I had... But really... A Charmeleon might live because it didn't have the electric weakness... A Shellgon could kickass with Recoil-Head and a high defence and no flying type... A Scyther could own... (but thats obvious with the same base total as scizor...)

there are tons of gsc and rby shit in the archives, and the begginners guide to RBY is one of the best guides I have ever seen relating to RBY. I heard havoc was working on a GSC one, so I think we have quite a few rby/gsc stuff.

I was thinking about writing a mass RBY damage calc breakdown sometime, maybe multiple people could do that and make it one feature of the week. Like how much a standard does to another with which attack...on RBY that's the least ammount of work, though it's still a lot (like 10-20 main standards with each usually maximally 3 different attacks).

Mekkah said:
I was thinking about writing a mass RBY damage calc breakdown sometime, maybe multiple people could do that and make it one feature of the week. Like how much a standard does to another with which attack...on RBY that's the least ammount of work, though it's still a lot (like 10-20 main standards with each usually maximally 3 different attacks).

That'll be awesome actually. Kinda like Pidgeot500's Poliwrath analysis.

updating all the pokemon analysis's to the current metagames for each generation because alot of them are out of date

chaos

Owner
Thanks to HairScare for rating this thread 1 star, he is now in the Close to Being Banned usergroup. Good job, shit brick. Let this being a warning to all, rate my important threads 1 star and you will get in that usergroup. It won't let you post topics, rate threads, edit your posts, use an avatar, or anything besides post a reply to a topic.

skarm said:
Last I checked (a while back on the old forum, mind you) GSC guides weren't even all written.
This may not be the place for it, but if someone can give me a list of all the GSC pokemon unfinished, I'll finish them up for you.

Mekkah said:
In addition to standard stuff, like how much Tauros Body Slam does to any given standard, there are other situational things that are useful. How often Dodrio can OHKO Jynx with Hyper Beam is probably more important than how much Tauros does to Eggy with Body Slam. There are tons of totally seemingly-obscure facts that people can share that are actually really nice to know, like how Tauros Blizzard knocks Alakazam into Hyper Beam KO range. You can figure the odds on Exeggutor versus Cloyster match-ups, taking Blizzard's accuracy, CH potential, and the chance of Psychic special falls into account.

That's why it'd be really nice to have several people all contributing to this at once, and why I like the idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)