Field Plating

Approved by The Immortal
Field Plating
So this meta is based on Field control, which is an interesting metagame. But because it's not codeable, we've remade it. Reason we use plates is there are items with same effects (Sharp Beak and Sky Plate). Basically, if a pokemon holds a specific item, it'll trigger the following effect upon switch in.

Sky Plate = Rain
Flame Plate = Sun
Stone Plate = Sandstorm
Icicle Plate = Hail
Meadow Plate = Grassy terrain
Pixie Plate = Misty Terrain
Zap Plate = Electric Terrain
Earth Plate = Mud Sport
Iron Plate = Gravity
Splash Plate = Water Sport
Mind Plate = Trick Room
Draco Plate = Wonder Room
Spooky Plate = Fairy Lock
Toxic Plate = Haze
Dread Plate = Magic Room

Of course, triggering these effects replaces the items' previous functions of boosting the power of moves of a certain type.

Plates cannot be removed by Knock Off, Fling, Trick, etc. Functioning similar to mega stones in that aspect or if they were to be held by Arceus.
*In Update*

This meta is all about using Plates to set up the field in a way that best suits you, and screws over your opponent too. Any strategy has its counter play. Speed wars, Weather wars, Terrain wars, its all happening.

Bans:
Standard OU Banlist.

Clauses:
Standard OU Clauses.
No new Clauses as of yet.

Q&A:

How long does each effect last?
Each effect lasts as long as it would had you used the move that summons the effect. Weather, Terrain, Gravity, Trick Room etc would last 5 turns, Fairy Lock lasts 1 turn, and Haze doesn't really 'last' at.

If I send in a pokemon that would summon Trick/Wonder/Magic Room while the given 'Room' is already in effect, would it cancel out?
Yes. Just like in standard play, if you 'use' say Trick Room while Trick Room is already active, it will reset and the field will return to normal.

If my air born pokemon is holding an Iron Plate, is it immune to Spikes still, or does the entry hazard damage take place after the Field effect?
All Field effects triggered by the Plates have the same priority as weather inducing abilities like Drizzle. Hence, you would take entry hazard damage first, and then activate Gravity, so you will still be safe from Spikes.

Why does this Plate trigger this field effect? That isn't very flavourful!
Look we tried our best. We kept flavour in mind as long as we could, but diversifying the meta with certain field effects was deemed more important than keeping it all flavourful.

How does Magic Room work in this meta, given that it disables the effects of items?
Magic Room functions normally and prevents other Plates from activating their field effects whilst Magic Room persists. Basically its the extreme anti meta item for anyone who wants to be "that guy". Has great uses against teams you may struggle against like Trick Room.

If I lead with a Meadow Plate pokemon and my opponent leads with a Misty Plate pokemon, which terrain would be left behind?
Again, it works like Drizzle and Drought, so the faster pokemon will trigger their terrain first, then the slower, meaning the slower pokemon gets to maintain their terrain.

If I have a Drizzle Politoad holding a Stone Plate, will I be left with Rain or Sandstorm?
No...

Playability:
Coded by Rhythms, hosted and playable on The Aqua Server!

Please don't suggest changes regarding new field effects for existing plates or those left out. There is a reason it is as it is. If its not on this list we're not allowed it:
http://veekun.com/dex/moves/search?target=12

ENJOY! :D

Chopin Alkaninoff is a good user <3 ;)

Last edited:
Will Swift Swim+Splash Plate be allowed? Along with any weather plate+ ability that activates in weather like sand rush, sand force, chlorophyll, etc.

Will Swift Swim+Splash Plate be allowed? Along with any weather plate+ ability that activates in weather like sand rush, sand force, chlorophyll, etc.
Why of course, that's half the fun! However obvious and effective strategies, they can still be handled with the use of Trick Room, and opposing weather.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Does the plate still power up the corasponding type, as in the Splash Plate would power up Water-type moves?

Does the plate still power up the corasponding type, as in the Splash Plate would power up Water-type moves?
To prevent overpoweredness, we basically change the effect entirely. So, no more x1.2 boost. Use something like Mystic Water (if I'm not mistaken) if you want to gain the x1.2 boost.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Don't forget that absolutely every single mon that runs a plate of any sort will be able to instantly put a stop to weather abuse. This sounds like a meta where almost everything will carry a plate of some sort and it will just come down to predictions or something. Its hard to tell what might happen.

What happens to the Plates that don't have a new effect, the Insect and Fist Plates?

Also note that Gogoat can now carry Meadow Plate to get a free 50% Defense boost AND Leftovers recovery. Sounds sweet, especially since a lot of his checks are Flying-types which are unaffected by Grassy Terrain's healing.

What happens to the Plates that don't have a new effect, the Insect and Fist Plates?
It behaves like original plate (gain x1.2 boost).

Reason we don't have Insect and Fist Plate is, we don't have any idea of what plate that fits it. There are reasons we gave those effects for the last three plates (Spooky Plate, Toxic Plate, Dread Plate)

Spooky Plate : Fairy Lock is because we thought of Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag when we made it.
Toxic Plate : Haze because we thought of Clear Smog that's Poison type.
Dread Plate: Magic Room because well, Embargo is Dark type

For the Draco Plate and Sky Plate, well, idk. Ask Isa Simple because he came up with the idea.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, so I really like this meta, since it gives a lot of viable new strategies and support options! That said, I don't feel like it'd dominate the game per se. While most teams will carry some plates, far from all will be used, I think. Many Pokemon will still want the power boost from Life Orb, or the choice items, while Choice Scarf will help a lot of Pokemon gain speed. choice Scarf will probably be a bit outclassed by Chlorophyll and such, mostly winning out on cleaning vs. other weathers. Megas will still be really good as well.

Trick Room will probably be the main thing not making other weathers dominating, but I think it will be extremely centralizing. Due to the game balancing Pokemon's BST, turning a stat around will cause a lot more Pokemon having good stats in everything, so Trick Room will be really hard to handle now it's not as limited. Terrains will be a bit less good, but they have decent side effects, so they'll be okay on certain 'mons, but are far from as good.

Fairy Lock will be great for revenging, but less OP than Shadow Tag since you only have one turn to revenge. Still, it will deter Pokemon with 4x weaknesses and / ore are slow, since they'll be easy prey for Fairy Lock users. A lot of teams will use Fairy Lock support in their strategy to eliminate certain Pokemon (especially plate supporters). I think this is a positive aspect since strangely it will help strategy: people will have to try to not let others trap their mons too often.

Finally, Gravity looks really promising on various Pokemon. Obviously, it'll be great on Ground types, but also Pokemon like Gengar get extremely threatening. It gets two great moves that get boosted in Hypnosis and Focus Blast (you can use Inferno and co. they have decent accuracy now, but not perfect and the users aren't that great). Especially Hypnosis is terribly strong, as a reliable Sleep move on something this fast.

The gimmick Whimsicott is back from Protean Palace. Prepare, Water and Rock type Swift Swimmers.

Grass Talonburd (Whimsicott) @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe (may have a better spread)
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Growth
- Moonblast
- Leech Seed/Taunt/Hidden Power/filler

Well, with Grassy Terrain, Nature Power becomes Energy Ball with 135 BP before STAB (202.5 BP after STAB) with priority because of Prankster. If you can somehow give it Sun support (maybe random Flame Plate holders), it's can boost it's SpA to +2 instantly, allowing it to sweep. Because of priority, it can also be a nice revenge killer for Trick Room holders.

Reason we don't have Insect and Fist Plate is, we don't have any idea of what plate that fits it. There are reasons we gave those effects for the last three plates (Spooky Plate, Toxic Plate, Dread Plate)
Powder and Perish Song fit the general patterns of the stuff included, even if Powder is a bit of a stretch.

Okay, so I really like this meta, since it gives a lot of viable new strategies and support options! That said, I don't feel like it'd dominate the game per se. While most teams will carry some plates, far from all will be used, I think. Many Pokemon will still want the power boost from Life Orb, or the choice items, while Choice Scarf will help a lot of Pokemon gain speed. choice Scarf will probably be a bit outclassed by Chlorophyll and such, mostly winning out on cleaning vs. other weathers. Megas will still be really good as well.
I think Choice Scarf suffers enormously. Weather-based Speed boosting is more powerful, Trick Room turns it into an active disadvantage, Fairy Lock can let something immune to or otherwise unimpressed by whatever you select come in and you have to give them a turn to setup or attack you or whatever, and Magic Room is going to show up a decent amount for anti-meta reasons and utterly destroys your advantage. (And, again, weather-based boosts and Trick Room-based abuse have the advantage that they may have gotten their effect up before Magic Room was triggered, in which case they still function)

Terrains will be a bit less good, but they have decent side effects, so they'll be okay on certain 'mons, but are far from as good.
Misty Terrain is basically superior to Lum berry for grounded non-Dragons, unless they're hoping to inflict a status effect on a grounded opponent, or expect to very soon want to switch in an ally who wants to do so. But otherwise? Now you can switch in on Will O Wisp and Thunder Wave freely with any grounded Pokemon by simply giving it a Pixie Plate, and Physical attackers that resist Water can laugh at Scald and switch in freely anyway. Azumarill, for instance, might appreciate it, even if the protection from Dragon is irrelevant to it.

Grassy Terrain is actually decent for Pokemon that are weak to Earthquake, especially stallmons that appreciate the functional Leftovers. It's not amazing, but if you're carrying Energy Ball, are weak to Earthquake, and are stall-mon-y, then Meadow Plate is actually quite nice.

Electric Terrain is kind of niche, because "prevents Pokemon from falling asleep (But doesn't wake up sleeping Pokemon)" is more narrow than Misty Terrain. This can be useful if you want your Pokemon protected from Spore and so on but still want to be able to drop a Will O Wisp, Toxic, or Thunder Wave yourself, and is of course fantastic if you intend to use an Electric attacking move too.

But Misty Terrain is actually fantastic.

This isn't even getting into putting it on Pokemon with Nature Power to suddenly grant them Fairy, Grass, or Electric coverage. Tons of Pokemon have Nature Power, and all three types are somewhat uncommon -and even for Pokemon with Fairy coverage, a lot of the time it's Dazzling Gleam, rather than the superior Moon Blast.

Fairy Lock will be great for revenging, but less OP than Shadow Tag since you only have one turn to revenge. Still, it will deter Pokemon with 4x weaknesses and / ore are slow, since they'll be easy prey for Fairy Lock users. A lot of teams will use Fairy Lock support in their strategy to eliminate certain Pokemon (especially plate supporters). I think this is a positive aspect since strangely it will help strategy: people will have to try to not let others trap their mons too often.
Two points to keep in mind.

First, you can Protect stall right through Fairy Lock. More reason to carry Protect on myriad Pokemon, which is kind of neat, actually.

Secondly, Fairy Lock applies to the user too. Be very careful about switching in your Fairy Locker in on something that has potential access to U-Turn, Volt Switch, Baton Pass, or Parting Shot, as they can switch to something you're utterly screwed against and you won't be able to flee! There's also a question of what happens when it comes to forced-switching moves -if you switch in, triggering Fairy Lock, and are then forced out by Whirlwind, is your replacement trapped by Fairy Lock for one turn?

Especially if it applies to force-switched-in Pokemon, but even if it doesn't, Spooky Plate is actually fairly risky to run.

Finally, Gravity looks really promising on various Pokemon. Obviously, it'll be great on Ground types, but also Pokemon like Gengar get extremely threatening. It gets two great moves that get boosted in Hypnosis and Focus Blast (you can use Inferno and co. they have decent accuracy now, but not perfect and the users aren't that great). Especially Hypnosis is terribly strong, as a reliable Sleep move on something this fast.
Gardevoir can do that too, and doesn't lose an immunity in the process, though it's also noticeably slower. A few other Pokemon get that particular combination, but not many, and the others are mostly lower viability. Or Gardevoir can run Sing for slightly lower odds of success but the ability to bypass a Substitute, which can be really awesome/obnoxious.

Other Singing Focus Blasters include Raichu, Meloetta, and some Pokemon that have no business launching a Focus Blast.

Tangrowth can imitate the effect with Sleep Powder, and still carries Focus Blast. Or it can focus on Physical, in which case Gravity brings enemies into reach of Earthquake coverage (Skarmory, for instance, hates that), ensures Power Whip doesn't miss, and still puts Sleep powder at 100%. Blocked by Grass typing and Safety Goggles, though.

Jynx gets perfectly accurate Lovely Kiss+Focus Blast+Blizzard. Might be more viable. It also has access to Sing, if it wants to Sleep you through a Substitute.

Sceptile and Simisage are very fast Grass Whistling Focus Blasting jerkfaces.

---

Draco Plate has some interesting potential. Blissey can run it to become the most obnoxious Physical wall to ever exist, albeit only for five turns at a time, and several amazing Physical walls can run it to become noteworthy Special walls, which are a lot less widespread than Physical walls. It also has some potential to create unconventional counters -a Special attacker carrying a Draco Plate can suddenly switch in on and scare out Eviolite Chansey, while a Physical attacker can carry it to suddenly laugh at Skarmory, no need to be Garchomp carrying Fire Blast or the like. (Garchomp probably prefers Gravity)

Earth Plate and Sky Plate are honestly probably useless. The Sky Plate has to compete with the Splash Plate (In both cases you end up halving Fire damage, but the Splash Plate can be boosting damage or triggering Abilities or making Thunder appealing) while the Earth Plate... has no competition per se, but I don't see a lot of uses for it. Hooray you can put it on Gyarados and make Electric attacks marginally less lethal? I'll stick to Gyaradosite, thanks.

Toxic Plate is going to be awesome. It's like being able to turn anything into Unaware. Not exactly (Among other points switching in the first turn they use a boost works out better for Unaware than for Toxic Plate whoever, unless you slow-U-Turned out or something), but being able to switch in on a heavily boosted Pokemon and wipe the boosts in the process is fantastic.

Oh, and Knock off is obviously going to be an even bigger deal.

Last edited:
Other ideas to fill/replace the plates. Just move Water Sport to Insect Plate (it fits just about as well as Sky Plate).

No Guard: Fist Plate (affects the whole field)
Perish Song: Fist Plate/Insect Plate (vaguely fits?)
Delta Stream: Sky Plate (missing weather effect that doesn't crowd out Sun/Rain like Desolate Land/Primordial Sea)
Airlock: Sky Plate (less extreme than Delta Stream, still serves a similar purpose to cancel weather)
Defog: Sky Plate (similar to Haze, as it affects the whole field, but targets one person)

brb making an assist team,enjoy your day <3
you can set up sun,trick room,and/or nature powers without spending a turn.

Along with what Isa Simple said, swift swim sweepers want to be fast, so making yourself slower to try to prevent slower opponents from canceling your weather is kinda redundant. It could potentially work to some degree, but it would also leave you open to be outsped by stuff that you'd want to beat. Anyways, nice job, Isa- this looks fun! :)

Okay, here's a shitty idea: Solar Power Flame Plate vanilla Charizard. Eh?
Actually, that makes for a solid "I already have a Mega but I want Mega Charizard Y" substitute. In fact...

252 SpA Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 357-420 (88.3 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (77.4 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

.... it actually hits noticeably harder than Y does. The main advantages Y has are 1: it's not dying just for turns passing and 2: it's slightly Specially bulkier. Also 3: not afraid of Knock Off or other item shenanigans, like Trick.

I'd argue that in some ways Flame Plate Solar Power Charizard is superior to Y. Among other points, it's actually easier to switch it into a Water move/Thunder/Weather Ball, since there's no need to get that first Mega Evolution turn prior to needing such a switch. The fact that it doesn't eat your Mega slot is, again, huge, since there's plenty of good Megas you can't fake with a Plate.

Along with what Isa Simple said, swift swim sweepers want to be fast, so making yourself slower to try to prevent slower opponents from canceling your weather is kinda redundant. It could potentially work to some degree, but it would also leave you open to be outsped by stuff that you'd want to beat. Anyways, nice job, Isa- this looks fun! :)
I don't think "redundant" is the word you're looking for. Redundant is spamming Agility with your Choice Scarfed Deoxys-Speed that's benefiting from Tailwind after you had something else trap the enemy and spam String Shot after Paralyzing them.

Regardless, it's potentially functional to sacrifice a little Speed to ensure your weather goes up rather than theirs, in cases where the Pokemon are similar Speeds baseline. Doubling Speed is so utterly absurd that even sacrificing a good 20 points of EV-derived Speed is liable to leave many abusers racing ahead of everything else anyway.

Just don't sacrifice so much that Keldeo outspeeds your Omastar. That would be embarrassing.

As a guy that really LOVES the idea of Trick Room, I would find myself doing a lot of disruption to the current strategy with the Mind Plate. Who cares about speed increasing abilities with the plates when you reverse the ordering? Now you can set it up and then immediately U-Turn or Volt Switch away to like a Mega Ampharos or Mega Camerupt or something like that.

Just to clarify a few things.

The reason a couple plates missed out and why some have no flavour at all is because we couldn't get this approved unless all the effects were consistent in that they targeted the entire field.
Basically we can only use things from this list:
http://veekun.com/dex/moves/search?target=12

Reason Water Sport is triggered by Sky Plate is, to be blunt, we wanted Water Sport.
Reason Ion Deluge was left out is, it sucks.

As for Water and Mud Sport, however they may seem fairly mediocre, they have their uses as preferential options for stall.
Yes Rain halves the damage of Fire moves like Water Sport does, but do you really want to boost the opponents Water moves? This meta actually makes stall quite strong, as there will be very few boosting items like LO and such, but giving a specs/band boost to opposing Water moves isn't helpful.
Mud Sport has its uses too. On stall it doesn't even need to be on an electric weak pokemon. An extra free resistance for the entire team, to a type which is hard to cover when paired with Ice attacks is very nice. Also works against Electric Terrain and Thunder on Rain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)