Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

Got a B+ in my scientific reasoning and methodology intersession class. I would have gotten an A but my professor gave me an F on group discussion.

I'm starting my freshman year at Brown. We have no set curriculum so I can just take whatever I want. I'm taking 4 classes.

ITAL0751 When Leaders Lie: Machiavelli in International Context (this is a freshman only seminar)
MATH0100 Introductory Calculus II
PHIL0080 Existentialism
ECON1110 Intermediate Microeconomics

Why is that first course ITAL? Italian...?

it just so happens its officially classified under the italian studies department. i think its really more of a history/international relations type course. for the freshman seminar they said it doesn't really matter what department it's in, just choose one that sounds interesting.

The number of Ivy Leaguers in this thread makes me jealous.

I'm applying to 14 schools this fall; 6 are my aim, 2 are safeties, and the rest are schools that fit my interest but are not perfectly what I'm looking for.

My 6 most wanted-to-go schools are Cornell, Tufts, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Carnegie Mellon, and UMichigan. All except Michigan are reaches for me. =(

Ya I've noticed that there's a bunch of ivy-leaguers as well...some of their scores are making me pretty nervous.
I got a perfect on sat II physics, a 33 on the ACT, 3 fives and a four on my AP's this year, and a 4.5 GPA...but still I'm quakin in my boots.
The one advantage that I might have is getting recruited for sports but still...dang

At least you didn't make shitty mistakes like I did during my freshman and sophomore years. My 9-12 GPA is 3.69, my 10-12 GPA is 4.13, and my Junior GPA is 4.42. My SAT isn't exactly awesome either; 2100 is the equivalent of 32 on the ACT.

How come you took the ACT instead of the SAT?

I actually took both both got a marginal 2000 on the SAT...I feel more confident with the ACT score I guess. I'm pretty much hoping that my good AP's and Good SAT II's coupled with some kind of sports recruitment get me in

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Jesus y'all sound so smart, with your... ENGINEERING. And... SCIENCE. And SAT SCORES. I don't remember for the life of me what mine were, except that I was almost spectacular at writing and reading or whatever and spectacularly awful at math.

My schedule for the upcoming semester: (Junior in Illustration)

Illustration II (5-hour studio class)
Word & Image (5-hour studio class)
Advanced Drawing Projects (5-hour studio class)
Ancient Mesoamerican Art & Architecture (3-hour art history)
Camelot: Tales of King Arthur (3-hour lit course)

plus I'll be a TA, making sophomores feel inadequate for 5 hours at a time in Human Figure In Illustration.

I wonder if I can pull straight A's again.

lol dumb art school student

vashta

"It was pretty cool to watch Tim Duncan from afar"
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got a couple of early GCSE results which I did last year. I take my main ones in summer 2011, but I take my maths early in November and my module Geography in January.

Religious Studies: A* - 93 / 100
Core Science: A
Physics - A
Biology - A
Chemistry - A​

I'm kind of gutted that I can't see what I would have gotten if I had completed the last question on the R.S exam (my only dropped marks were from that question).

I can't remember my Science UMS off by heart, though. But I don't care because I hate the subject; I'm not particularly great at it.

Hello everyone, it feels slightly weird to comment on this thread, but I would like some help from the seasoned "pros" out there. Smogon is the only place I regularly lurk, and I need... some major assistance.

This upcoming year, I'll be a junior in high school. I'm finished with the SAT with a 2280. That's the only thing that's going for me, though. I'm extremely unathletic, 5'9" and 120 pounds, and I'm one of those 'scene kids'. With an Asian mother, I'm continually pressed to do well in school.

As a freshman, I achieved pretty much straight B's, an A in math, and a C+ in Biology. However, last year, I've gotten straight B-'s and a C in Chemistry. My GPA is barely scratching a 3.1. The problem was that I didn't really give a shit about school in general, and studying doesn't come naturally.

I'm from Massachusetts, and I want to be near home, so I was considering schools such as Boston University, Brandeis, etc. However, without any real extra-curricular activities (math team pfffffft), I hear it is almost impossible to get in, even if I decide to improve my GPA this upcoming year. I'm taking AP Music Theory, AP History, AP Calculus and retard-level German and English classes. Is there any possibility to get into a top-notch(for me)college such as BU with these grades and credentials? And, what can I do to ensure admission to these colleges?

BU is not a top notch school; it's considered a safety for people who have achieve high academics in school because BU has over 50% acceptance rate.

Three things that will give you a great chance of being admitted to BU:
1. Get all A's Junior year. You must stay motivated in order to do this. I'm Asian too, but my mom do not pressure me to do anything in school. My GPA dramatically rose during Junior year because I motivate myself (my ambition was a bit overboard too), and that is really the only way for you to do well.
2. Take as many rigorous classes you can for Senior year. Colleges want to see an upward trend, and if you get all A's Junior year, colleges will ask for your Senior mid-year report to confirm the upward trend. In your case, this is a good thing.
3. Get involved in more activities that you're interested in. Clubs, outside programs, summer/college programs, etc.

--------

My finalized schedule for Senior year is as follows:

AP Statistics
French 3
AP Calculus BC
AP Physics B
AP Microeconomics (Fall)
Honors Government (Spring)
AP English Literature
Dual enrollment at local community college for Biology (equivalent of high school AP Biology).

For anyone who has had such as rigorous schedule, what do you suggest? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work.

my classes are sick. i'm taking compsci 101 with andy van dam if that means anything to any of you programmers out there, apparently he's kind of a big deal.

also i've seen emma watson like 6 times. i saw her at a nightclub on wednesday, on the street yesterday, eating dinner in the cafeteria last night, in my philosophy lecture this morning. she should really be more direct if she's interested, this following me around thing isn't working.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
lol liberal arts kids

EN 02 - Intro to CAD (lecture + lab), .5 Credits
EN 39 - Intro to Bridge Design (intro engineering elective), .5 Credits
MATH 50 - Applied Calculus 2, 1 Credit
PHYS 11 - Intro to Mechanics (lecture + lab + recitation), 1 Credit
ITAL 01 - Intro to Italian, 1 Credit

Italian is my blow off course, i've taken 4 years in high school and i want to boost my GPA. My class times are pretty boss, Physics is the earliest at 10:30 Tues/Thurs, the rest are all around 1:30-4 ish.

My finalized schedule for Senior year is as follows:

AP Statistics
French 3
AP Calculus BC
AP Physics B
AP Microeconomics (Fall)
Honors Government (Spring)
AP English Literature
Dual enrollment at local community college for Biology (equivalent of high school AP Biology).

For anyone who has had such as rigorous schedule, what do you suggest? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work.
I'm in kinda the same boat, but seeing classes like this implies you like learning. You learn to study/slack off appropriately. My finalized schedule is:
Japanese 3rd Year
AP Biology (must...raise...core...GPA)
Dual enrollment Research Writing (Fall) / English Literature (Spring)
Strength and Conditioning lol
Constitution Team (Fall - we WILL get back to nationals this year) / Economics (Spring)
Dual enrollment World Civilizations
Dual enrollment Statistics (slightly different from AP Statistics)

AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism (Independent Study)

Basically, I'm going to dedicate all I can to Con Team and English to get good letters of recommendation, then try to get through my other classes. I'll be head of the board game club at my school this year, in charge of lunchtime movies, and be playing baseball. I wish I hadn't slacked off last year...

fuck yeah wednesdays and fridays off first semester with a full course load!
... Arts Student?

Actually, my friend doing Neuroscience/Software Engineering managed to gethimself a three day week in first year. I have no idea how he wrangled that.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Intro to Political Economy - Toughest class by far, but still not THAT tough. Only 1 of 2 freshman in the class i think...
Intro to International Relations - 5 other people in the class ftw
Spanish 1 - Si, chicos
Consolidated Calculus - hating my 3 on the BC test now, i know all of this stuff. Gives me an easy class to skip though i guess.
"Confronting Our Evil" - Some bs sociology class thing that meets once a week and is really easy and is relatively interesting.

All in all not a terrible schedule. I have 2 classes thursday and friday, which is good, and I'm done on friday by 1. So not perfect, but it's pretty solid considering I have calc and spanish that meet 4 days a week.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Chem 121 - University first year Chem, for people who finished Chem 12 (People who didn't have to take Chem 100, 101). Pretty much a review of what I did in grade 11 and 12

Physics 120- Was offered the Honours Course, decided not to go that route because I have a big course load. Calculus based Physics, the works etc. Mechanics and Relativity.

Bisc 100 - Lolbio. Didn't take biology in high school, I must now pay in university. Online course.

Math 151- Math for math majors, and some science majors. Calculus I pretty much

Eng 199- Academic writing course. Got 2 course worth of credits, so I was allowed to skip them, and take this bullshit course for Med school.

Credits Earned - First year French, first and second year history (!!!!!), first year philosophy, 2 courses of English, 1 course of physics.

Credits I rejected - Chemistry (They wanted to boot me up to the second half year course of Chemistry, and sign me up for second year organic chem, I told them I didn't want that. Want to inflate my GPA a bit), Math (4 in AP calc, but I decided to inflate my grades a bit more).

Beginning of Junior year schedule:
AP US History
Honors Chemistry
AP Studio Art
Honors Algebra II
Religion/ Christian Ethics
AP Spanish Literature
AP English Language

I go to a Catholic-Jesuit high school so it's pretty demanding.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm in kinda the same boat, but seeing classes like this implies you like learning. You learn to study/slack off appropriately. My finalized schedule is:
Japanese 3rd Year
AP Biology (must...raise...core...GPA)
Dual enrollment Research Writing (Fall) / English Literature (Spring)
Strength and Conditioning lol
Constitution Team (Fall - we WILL get back to nationals this year) / Economics (Spring)
Dual enrollment World Civilizations
Dual enrollment Statistics (slightly different from AP Statistics)

AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism (Independent Study)

Basically, I'm going to dedicate all I can to Con Team and English to get good letters of recommendation, then try to get through my other classes. I'll be head of the board game club at my school this year, in charge of lunchtime movies, and be playing baseball. I wish I hadn't slacked off last year...
I hope you don't expect to use dual enrollment classes at any higher level university. If you got "college credit" but used the course to graduate from high school, you're wasting time and money since nobody takes them except the local schools. I'd suggest taking APs in that case. However if you just want to go to your local school then by all means take them; they were all my school offered and I got slightly screwed because of it.

My first year, first term classes start next Monday :0 I'm pretty excited/nervous... I am taking:

BIOL110 - Introductory Zoology
CHEM120 - Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter
PHYS111 - Physics I
MATH127 - Calculus I for the Sciences
PSYCH101 - Introductory Psychology

And a lab for each of the science classes. I can't wait for next term, the choices for bio classes are so much better.

I hope you don't expect to use dual enrollment classes at any higher level university. If you got "college credit" but used the course to graduate from high school, you're wasting time and money since nobody takes them except the local schools. I'd suggest taking APs in that case. However if you just want to go to your local school then by all means take them; they were all my school offered and I got slightly screwed because of it.
I'm not looking for college credit. I don't think I'll even use AP tests for credit because usually taking the class in college is much more intensive and rewarding (considering Physics, though). The truth is I've run out of AP classes (well, psychology, environmental, and art history remain if I wanted) to take at my school, so the dual enrollment path is the only way to go. These are the hardest classes (well, not Statistics) at my school and I can't think of a better schedule for myself. Thanks for the info, though! Any info at all about college credit, etc. is extremely helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)