Flat Battle / Random Battle Discussion

Actually, with ~60 battles, I haven't seen a Breloom/Smeargle once.

Right now, I'm in a battle with a dude that has 1902 wins, he's using this (I haven't seen the rest of his team yet):

Eelektross @ Chesto Berry
Brave (I think)
Levitate
Dunno EV's, most likely in HP/Atk though
Coil
Zap Cannon
Dragon Tail
Rest

It's stalled out my team of Zoroark, Serperior and Whimsicott (the set I posted in the Whimsi thread) so far, with my Whimsi now spamming Double Team with +6 Defense, Leech Seed up, and +5 Evasion :P

interesting, did you see his other 2 mons?

Lol it seems to do that alot... Despite the numerous more skilled players, there are equally as many D/Cer's (119 battles this far, with 17 people D/C'd). Now, I understand that sometimes it's an accident, but I'm really quite suspicious when you have a guy with 500+ wins down to his last poke "accidently" D/C...

Lol it seems to do that alot... Despite the numerous more skilled players, there are equally as many D/Cer's (119 battles this far, with 17 people D/C'd). Now, I understand that sometimes it's an accident, but I'm really quite suspicious when you have a guy with 500+ wins down to his last poke "accidently" D/C...
I don't mean the error that says "Connection with other person has been lost", I mean the one that randomly occurs (even if the other person is winning, and you're not D/C'ing, the Wifi D/C's you sometimes anyway)

yup the wifi is really bad at the moment, its hardly even worth trying to battle on it. If rating doesn't come out with disconnect penalties, then it will eventually because people are going to complain like crazy and the ladder will go nowhere.

Huh. I knew it was bad at times, but never has it been THAT bad for me... I'm really looking forward to rating (REALLY looking forward.), since in the B/W game manual it says your rating goes down if you disconnect.

Do people actually bother playing the ladder? Free is faster and has a lot less disconnects.

There's also the win count, if you're into bragging.

Do people actually bother playing the ladder? Free is faster and has a lot less disconnects.

There's also the win count, if you're into bragging.
I heard that you get invited to some sort of official tournament or something if you're in the top spots on the ladder. Not sure about that.

I heard that you get invited to some sort of official tournament or something if you're in the top spots on the ladder. Not sure about that.
Yeah, I heard that too. I forgot where, but I think it sounds... Believable. And imo, I'd rather brag about a higher global ranking than a winning streak :)

There's a few other reasons Ladder > Free.

You can share your ladder rank, Free is just on your trainer card. Also, disconnecting pays off much less on ladder than on free play. Since what matters is rank, not some fancy grind fest of "how many games have I played".

I'm not sure. But in the back of the B/W handbook, all it says, and I quote:

Your rating may drop if you get a communication error during rating battle mode.
Pg. 47

I assume this is only for the D/Cer, and not the D/Cee, but at least there is some form of punshment.

Forgive my naivety as I don't have much experience playing against humans, but how effective are entry hazards like spikes and rocks going to be when playing a flat 3v3 single battle?

Forgive my naivety as I don't have much experience playing against humans, but how effective are entry hazards like spikes and rocks going to be when playing a flat 3v3 single battle?
Definitely not as useful as when it's used in a normal 6v6 battle. Of course it could have some uses if you have a really bulky phazer (ChestoRest Coilektross, Milotic, etc.), but probably its only use beside that is to help your Pokemon get a few KO's and to break sashes.

I don't know if anyone's brought it up, but the fact that all the Pokemon are now set to fifty instead of one hundred means that you need more EV's to make more of a difference in speed now, right? Well, I mean, it applies to all stats, but it's obviously most noticeable in speed. Is it reasonable to change EV spreads to accommodate that, or are the scenarios in which its useful so specific that its pointless?

Yes, but iirc you don't miss out on THAT many stat points if you run the standard 252/252; I believe that instead of 252 to max, you would only need 248, which isn't THAT big of a difference, but I guess it would still matter if you didn't run max speed on something.

Definitely not as useful as when it's used in a normal 6v6 battle. Of course it could have some uses if you have a really bulky phazer (ChestoRest Coilektross, Milotic, etc.), but probably its only use beside that is to help your Pokemon get a few KO's and to break sashes.
lol, that Eelektross can win games on its own.

Another thing is that it's far more risky to set up hazards in 3v3 than 6v6. The loss of a single pokemon is devistating in comparison.

I'm thinking of trying something like Rain/Sun teams will work (you pick one side, they don't know what you're going for) but I haven't been able to give it testing since I'm focusing on a general team first. Gotta wait for dream world to get drizzle toad and drought ninetails. :(

I have been using my RNG'ed 4th gen Pokemon in the Random Singles so far since I haven't bothered to breed/raise any new 5th gens yet, but its frustrating since everytime I am about to win a battle my opponent quits on me. I have 0 wins on my trainer card because of this, I have yet to have someone take their loss like a man.

I am not really using anything special yet, mainly just throwing out makeshift teams like Nasty Plot Life Orb Raichu/Big Root Giga Drain Venusaur/Super Luck Scope Lens Honckrow. I could care less about winning or losing at this point as I am more interested in seeing what my opponents are brining to the table. Even then, I am still winning at a 50% clip using that team I listed above.

I haven't seen any rain teams yet, but I have seen my fair share of Speed Boost Blazikens that eat me for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sleep spamming is very common too, though the last person who thought he could sleep spam me I ended up giving him a taste of his own medicine with my Sleep Powder Venusaur and beating him(he disconnects of course).

It's interesting to say the least right now and I can't wait to actually start taking it seriously and using serious teams on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)