Flavourmons: what if you took the flavor text literally? (no OHKO or Auto-Win effects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azelf BW/B2W2: When Azelf flew, people gained the determination to do things. It was the birth of willpower.

Perhaps each move has a 50% chance of failing, regardless of accuracy, unless your team has an Azelf?

And no, I did not change my avatar just for this.
Seems a bit OP for Azelf. Perhaps moves having a 10% chance of failing against Azelf (since, presumably, Azelf could take that willpower it gave away)

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Changing the topic to just random things I've found:

Lanturn, "It blinds prey with an intense burst of light. With the prey incapacitated, the Pokémon swallows it in a single gulp." Does this mean all moves will miss when Lanturn is on the field, and then get an instant victory?

Noivern, "The ultrasonic waves it emits from its ears can reduce a large boulder to pebbles. It swoops out of the dark to attack." All of Noivern's sound based attacks must be Super Effective to Any and all rock types.

Chimecho, "It travels by riding on winds. It cleverly uses its long tail to pluck nuts and berries, which it loves to eat." Harvest Chimcho anyone?

Last edited:
Changing the topic to Lanturn, "It blinds prey with an intense burst of light. With the prey incapacitated, the Pokémon swallows it in a single gulp." Does this mean all moves will miss when Lanturn is on the field, and then get an instant victory?
That's way too OP. I think it would be better that when Lanturn used Flash, the pokemon becomes confused or something

Changing the topic to just random things I've found:

Lanturn, "It blinds prey with an intense burst of light. With the prey incapacitated, the Pokémon swallows it in a single gulp." Does this mean all moves will miss when Lanturn is on the field, and then get an instant victory?

Noivern, "The ultrasonic waves it emits from its ears can reduce a large boulder to pebbles. It swoops out of the dark to attack." All of Noivern's sound based attacks must be Super Effective to Any and all rock types.

Chimecho, "It travels by riding on winds. It cleverly uses its long tail to pluck nuts and berries, which it loves to eat." Harvest Chimcho anyone?
Lanturn:

Flash has double effect.

Noivern:

Sound based moves deal 2x damage to rock types, instead of their normal affinity to the type.

Chimecho:

Contact moves have a 50% chance to steal and eat a foe's berry akin to pluck or bug bite.

Toned them down for you.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Lanturn:

Flash has double effect.

Noivern:

Sound based moves deal 2x damage to rock types, instead of their normal affinity to the type.

Chimecho:

Contact moves have a 50% chance to steal and eat a foe's berry akin to pluck or bug bite.

Toned them down for you.
I'm liking how this looks, though I'm still thinking that flash should make the foe confused.

It could be a combination of -1 accuracy and confusion. The Lanturn entry does say "incapacitated," so an accuracy drop+confusion does a good job of rendering an opposing pokemon helpless. Heck, it could even freeze the opposing pokemon, although this might be a bit much.

It could be a combination of -1 accuracy and confusion. The Lanturn entry does say "incapacitated," so an accuracy drop+confusion does a good job of rendering an opposing pokemon helpless. Heck, it could even freeze the opposing pokemon, although this might be a bit much.
Freezing makes zero sense. Yes, it "incapacitates" foes, but it makes no sense flavor wise, which is what this whole metagame is about.

Freezing makes zero sense. Yes, it "incapacitates" foes, but it makes no sense flavor wise, which is what this whole metagame is about.
I didn't mean frozen in the sense that they literally turn into an ice cube, but rendered immobile and helpless, akin to being "frozen in fear." And note that I only said Lanturn's Flash *could* freeze the opposing pokemon, and went as far as to say that this would be a bit much in terms of flavour and balance.

I didn't mean frozen in the sense that they literally turn into an ice cube, but rendered immobile and helpless, akin to being "frozen in fear." And note that I only said Lanturn's Flash *could* freeze the opposing pokemon, and went as far as to say that this would be a bit much in terms of flavour and balance.
Look, as far as game freak is concerned, every freeze has something to do with ice, so never going to happen.

Mew:
Silver:
Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all POKéMON, so it can use all kinds of techniques.
Mew can use any move.
Gold: Apparently, it appears only to those people who are pure of heart and have a strong desire to see it.
Mew can only battle against a trainer with Reshiram or Zekrom (because the heroes of Truth and Ideals would need a strong desire and a pure heart).

Mew:
Silver:
Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all POKéMON, so it can use all kinds of techniques.
Mew can use any move.
Technically, Mew can use any move (Move tutor or TM, anyway).

Gold: Apparently, it appears only to those people who are pure of heart and have a strong desire to see it.
Mew can only battle against a trainer with Reshiram or Zekrom (because the heroes of Truth and Ideals would need a strong desire and a pure heart).
...no.

Alakazam: Its brain cells multiply continually until it dies. As a result, it remembers everything.
Alakazam can use every move it can learn in battle.
(An example of broken flavor. Don't do this. Instead, do this)

Pearl: Its highly developed brain is on par with a supercomputer. It can use all forms of psychic abilities.
Alakazam can learn any Psychic-type move.
Doesn't seem too broken to me, at least.

X (and others): It is said that it usually hides in underwater caves. It can create whirlpools by yawning.
Auto-whirlpools when it yawns. Sleep-trapper!! Imagine Yawn/Protect/Rest/??? @ Chesto Berry, trap+sleep then switch out and setup (unless whirlpool only lasts until Kingdra is switched out then I guess it's not that remarkable).

B/W(2): It lives in caves on the seafloor and creates giant whirlpools every time it moves.
Auto-whirlpool upon switch in. Regular trapper!! Better than the slightly more obvious option of whirlpool literally being used alongside every move it uses maybe.

Whirlpool only lasts until Kingdra is switched out, still a Yawn / Protect / Substitute / [Hydro Pump / Waterfall / Draco Meteor / Rest] set with Leftovers could work pretty well

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Reshiram:

(Pokemon White): When Reshiram's tail flares, the heat energy moves the atmosphere and changes the world's weather

Reshiram gets Drought as an ability

Lugia:

(Pokemon X): It sleeps in a deep-sea trench. If it flaps its wings, it is said to cause a 40-day storm.

Lugia gets Drizzle as an ability

Bouffalant:

(Pokemon Y) Their fluffy fur absorbs damage, even if they strike foes with a fierce headbutt.

Bouffalant gets Fur Coat as an ability

(Pokemon White) They charge wildly and headbutt everything. Their headbutts have enough destructive force to derail a train.

Bouffalant gets Head Smash

Last edited:
Bulbasaur:
The bulb-like pouch on its back grows larger as it ages. The pouch is filled with numerous seeds.

Bulbasaur can learn any seed based attack and all have infinite PP.

So this occured to me:

Ruby: FLYGON is nicknamed "the elemental spirit of the desert." Because its flapping wings whip up a cloud of sand, this POKéMON is always enveloped in a sandstorm while flying.

Flygon gets Sand Stream (and also Levitate? Maybe a combo of the two known as "Sand Spirit" or something).

I feel like this has been said though.

So this occured to me:

Ruby: FLYGON is nicknamed "the elemental spirit of the desert." Because its flapping wings whip up a cloud of sand, this POKéMON is always enveloped in a sandstorm while flying.

Flygon gets Sand Stream (and also Levitate? Maybe a combo of the two known as "Sand Spirit" or something).

I feel like this has been said though.
Perhaps you could make Sand Stream its hidden ability? That might overpower Sand, though, by giving it 3 good Sand Stream pokemon.

Perhaps you could make Sand Stream its hidden ability? That might overpower Sand, though, by giving it 3 good Sand Stream pokemon.
Or just add it, like everything else here, so it can compete with other pokes that add abilities as was previously discussed?

Some random stuff I found on serebii:
(Diamond) Heracross:
It gathers in forests to search for tree sap, its favorite food. It's strong enough to hurl foes.
Circle Throw?

(Pearl) Bibarel:
While its movements out of water are sluggish, it can swim as fast as any FEEBAS
Kinda obvious. Increase Bibarel's Speed stat from 71 to 80.

(Y) Yveltal:
When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more.
When Yveltal faints, the opponent(s) faint(s) as well? Like Destiny Bond?

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
(Y) Yveltal:
When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more.
Hmm... Do you think this will be broken? Or at least metagame-centralizing? Yes. So don't do it. At the most I'd say GIVE Yveltal Destiny Bond. Because there are things that outspeed it. Like a lot.

Basically, if anything can guarantee a KO of an opponent's Pokemon, don't do it. Because it's possible in every meta to be 6-0d with any team. So let's just not do that. Ok? Ok.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
(Y) Yveltal:
How about an Aftermath-esque effect? It doesn't say how much life energy it drains :p

Seems interesting. I'll chip in with something:

Houndoom

"The flames it breathes when angry contain toxins. If they cause a burn, it will hurt forever."

Houndoom's Fire type attacks that cause a burn are incurable, as in, can't even be removed by Heal Bell, Refresh or the like.

Ninetales

"Very smart and very vengeful. Grabbing one of its many tails could result in a 1,000 year curse."

Secondary Ghost type and an ability that activates Curse whenever the enemy makes Contact (Imagine how OP that would be with a 252 HP 252+ Def Spread).

Hitmonlee

"If it starts kicking repeatedly, both legs will stretch to strike a fleeing foe."

If Hitmonlee uses an attacking move against a pokemon currently switching out, the move will gain a +7 Priority and will hit twice.

Malamar

"It wields the most compelling hypnotic powers of any Pokémon, and it forces others to do whatever it wants."

The player using a Malamar can control the opponent's Pokemon?

Haxorus

"Its tusks are incredibly destructive. They can easily slice through a thick, sturdy steel column every time."

Haxorus' Dragon moves are SE against Steel types (Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Poison Jab, Substitute and its gg)

Mismagius

"Its cries sound like incantations to torment the foe."

Torment is auto-enabled whenever Mismagius is out, unless it's Sleeping or Frozen or the opponent Pokemon has Soundproof.

Last edited:

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Seems interesting. I'll chip in with something:

Houndoom

"The flames it breathes when angry contain toxins. If they cause a burn, it will hurt forever."

Houndoom's Fire type attacks that cause a burn are incurable, as in, can't even be removed by Heal Bell, Refresh or the like.
Might be a bit overpowered. Doubling the chance to burn for its fire moves instead of insta-burn would be a bit better, imo. Everything else looks fine.

Ninetales

"Very smart and very vengeful. Grabbing one of its many tails could result in a 1,000 year curse."

Secondary Ghost type and an ability that activates Curse whenever the enemy makes Contact (Imagine how OP that would be with a 252 HP 252+ Def Spread).
I'm okay with this.

Hitmonlee

"If it starts kicking repeatedly, both legs will stretch to strike a fleeing foe."

If Hitmonlee uses an attacking move against a pokemon currently switching out, the move will gain a +7 Priority and will hit twice.
How about: If Hitmonlee uses a kicking move against a Pokemon currently switching out (so it will actually use its legs), the move will gain +7 Priority. Hitting twice on something like High Jump Kick and striking a foe no matter what is a bit too OP...

Malamar

"It wields the most compelling hypnotic powers of any Pokémon, and it forces others to do whatever it wants."

The player using a Malamar can control the opponent's Pokemon?
NO. NONONONONONONONONONO.
Comments in Green and Bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)