Forget Sonic in Smash Bros.... IN RAINBOWS!!!

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
official thread for discussing new radiohead album

15 Step is amazing

evan

nude retardedly pretty. minimalist beautiful thom's voice omg

evan

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Classic Radiohead blips and bleeps sound but mellower. Awesome.

evan

Reckoner

Very very mellow but with a quick drumbeat that almost sounds like... pencils?

evan

House of Cards

Atmospheric. Amazing. Intro reminds me of a slower, mellower, chiller Pacific Theme by BSS.

evan

Jigsaw Falling Into Place

thom's deadpan delivery i love it. the tempo picks up to a polite jam. BEST SONG YET.

evan

Videotape

A polite piano melody. With Thom singing over it. Cue bass blips and bleeps. Slow song. Various samples. So pretty.

evan

VERDICT:

Great album. Much mellower and prettier than the others. Reminds me more of Amnesiac. WHICH IS AWESOME!

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Umm, did you actually need to post for every track?

Nude is the highlight imo.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Videotape.

Also Nude and Jigsaw Falling Into Place, and also Recokoner and House of Cards and All I Need and Faust Arp and 15 Step and Bodysnatchers and Weird Fishes and but mostly Videotape.. When those drums come in.. Wow.

Have a nice day.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Maybe I'm not saying that Videotape is the highlight because I had already listened to it around a hundred times before (live version from The Basement).

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I had a version from the hammersmith, but it was very different..

Ok, I am gonna go for my in depth analysis. Because I am cocky enough to do this after only 4 listens..

I had high expectations for this album. I knew every song on it except Reckoner and Faust Arp. And I very much liked Nude, All I Need, House of Cards, Jigsaw Fallng Into Place and Videotape. However I was concerned there was a great deal of room for screwing this up royally. Aside from a couple of brief moments this didnt happen. But while this album met all expectations, and those expectations were utterly unreasonable, it didnt excede them.

One of the moments that really excited me on this album was the intro section of Nude. It was Radiohead creating sound worlds like only Radiohead create, and it reminded me of the first time I heard Karma Police on the radio as a 14 year old. I had thought maybe aliens had come to earth and were sharing their mysterious ancient musical secrets with 5 blokes from england..

But that is the problem.. Like, when I started writing this I was thinking about something I remember reading once: that when radiohead released Kid A they were thinking about changing the name of the band, because they felt like this was such a depature from the work of the band Radiohead up till that point. And I was going to suggest that this album is that original band once again - that this is the true sequel to OK Computer. But I think its more than that, that this album could almost be seen as an alternative sequel to the bends. Kinda like the musical equivalent of Hollywood remaking classic movies without actually retaining anything but the title of the original - except in this case they change the title too (and they actually do a good job). This album is a work of genius musically and in any way you want to analyse it, but mostly, the reason I love it is because it reminds me of OK Computer.

Had this album been released in 1997 it would have been a better album than OK Computer. But it is 2007 now, this is the best Radiohead album since OK Computer and it is a genuine 9/10, but it isnt as good as OK Computer.

This is Radioheads Wish You Were Here. When kids who arent born yet turn 14 and start looking through their parents CDs collections this album will be their favourite. But for me, it isnt the same.

This is the harshest review that anyone will give their most pleasurable musical experience in 2 years.

Fuck Videotape is an awesome song.

[edit] - I wonder if the reason I feel this way is because 7/10 songs I have already been listening to for over a year?

Have a nice day.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ive heard this album once, and ive gotta say it looks pretty good so far. it reminds me of the better songs from the newest flaming lips album, kinda calm and peaceful overall

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
After one listen.

The album starts off extremely strong; 15 step lacks some of the energy that the early live version had but I am still satisfied with it. The back half kind of dulls a bit but Jigsaw and Videotape close it up well. Sometimes I got the feeling that I was listening to the String Quartet covering Radiohead but overall I wasn't let down. I think Arpeggi is probably the best song on this album but I might just be biased towards that song.

lol bm what the fuck

i enjoy the album so far. i honestly have no idea how to convey my personal thoughts right now, but it's excellent from what i've heard so far.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol BM

also im kind of scared as you said the song sounded like Pacific Theme I was actually listening to Pacific Theme o__o

As for the album I have only heard one song so far, heard All I Need on the radio on the way home from school (yes toronto radio is that indie). Needless to say I got chills during the climax and came pretty close to a collision while driving cause i wasn't paying attention! Fucking radiohead man.

I am very excited to hear the rest of the album!

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
it's not bad, I like this about as much as Kid A but less than OK Computer.

the first two songs are strong (probably the best off the album for me), but the next few are a bit tedious.

not really best of the year material, but it's alright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)