Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

Thundurus-T is listed A in the viability ranking, and Thundurus is A-. Why Thu-T is better? What moveset is T-T using right now?
I'd imagine that is because T-Wave and Prankster both got a nerf so Thundurus isn't so threatening anymore. Meanwhile, Thundurus-T thrives in a metagame with Tapu Koko at the top—it's of little wonder why Sludge Wave and Choice Scarf are both respectively among the most popular moves and items of choice for most players.

Hi. Pardon my noobiness. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot and all that.

I am a noob. I've beaten Moon, and I want to get into this whole competitive online thing.

Before you refer me to the beginner guides, yes I read over them. My head is still spinning.

I'm not sure really what I'm asking for here. I think I want, like, Baby Step 1. I read all the stuff and still feel like I don't know what to do RIGHT NOW that I want to start raising some competitive Pokémon. Does that make sense? I see all the IV EV stuff, and the tiers, but I still feel lost as to that very first step.

Sorry if you get posts like this all the time. Really just trying to get the ball rolling here. Thanks guys!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi. Pardon my noobiness. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot and all that.

I am a noob. I've beaten Moon, and I want to get into this whole competitive online thing.

Before you refer me to the beginner guides, yes I read over them. My head is still spinning.

I'm not sure really what I'm asking for here. I think I want, like, Baby Step 1. I read all the stuff and still feel like I don't know what to do RIGHT NOW that I want to start raising some competitive Pokémon. Does that make sense? I see all the IV EV stuff, and the tiers, but I still feel lost as to that very first step.

Sorry if you get posts like this all the time. Really just trying to get the ball rolling here. Thanks guys!
Make sure you read the rules thread while you're checking out guides too, we don't allow new threads for questions like this so I merged it with our simple questions thread.

I take it you've never played competitive Pokemon before then? Are you asking here (Battle Spot) because you want to breed and train your own Pokemon instead of playing on Pokemon Showdown? If that's the case you'll want to head to the Wi-Fi forum and check out the giveaway section and get yourself a flawless Ditto to breed with. There's also plenty of other good freebies you can get there so take what you get get your hands on. Then you should have a look at our Viability Rankings, Sample Teams, or Usage Stats and breed stuff that you think you'd like to use, slap those things together and try it out on either free or ranked battles on your 3DS. If that's too daunting for you then you can also try the Battle Tree for a bit to test things out before playing against real people. You can also check out NOVED, GroudonEmpire, 7th Gen Battle Spot, and Alex Ogloza on YouTube.

We do have a tutoring program, however you need to have a basic understanding of competitive Pokemon first, and signups are currently closed anyway, but you can check back here in a few weeks to see if the thread is open again. There's also our PS room and Discord Server to hangout and learn from other users in real time so check those out.

If you have any other questions then feel free to use this thread or PM myself directly.

The Gigalith VGC 2017 analysis looks good, but doesn't seem to mention Gravity. Is it not worth using Gravity on Gigalith, or is it because Gravity works much better with Pokebank Pokemon? If Gravity is viable, what would be a good EV spread for a Brave nature?

The Gigalith VGC 2017 analysis looks good, but doesn't seem to mention Gravity. Is it not worth using Gravity on Gigalith, or is it because Gravity works much better with Pokebank Pokemon? If Gravity is viable, what would be a good EV spread for a Brave nature?
I've seen a couple players use Gigalith while observing high-rated BSS games on the PS ladder, with a moveset of Stealth Rock, Stone Edge, Gravity, Explosion and following it with Sand Rush Excadrill or Hypnosis Gengar. I'm not sure what the EVs were but I would guess max HP and Atk (the Explosions hurt a lot and it didn't seem super bulky).

I don't know whether any of that is useful in doubles/VGC though.

Sorry in advance, I'm new to the competitive online pokemon scene so I hope my questions is alright.

I bred a 6 iv Kingler, Adamant, with Hyper cutter. I was wondering what a good moveset, EVs, and Item for it might be in Sun and Moon? All the information i can find is about 2 years old or older.

It also has Knock off, unfortunately I don't have any other egg moves besides that.

also I know Kingler isn't an amazing pokemon but it is my favorite!

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry in advance, I'm new to the competitive online pokemon scene so I hope my questions is alright.

I bred a 6 iv Kingler, Adamant, with Hyper cutter. I was wondering what a good moveset, EVs, and Item for it might be in Sun and Moon? All the information i can find is about 2 years old or older.

It also has Knock off, unfortunately I don't have any other egg moves besides that.

also I know Kingler isn't an amazing pokemon but it is my favorite!
Hate to say it but Kingler is honestly flat out unviable in Battle Spot, there are sooooo many Water-types that outclass it like Gyarados, Cloyster, Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Sharpedo. Araquanid and Golisopod, the most comparable to Kingler, are also much better. Based on what the usage stats look like, this is what Kingler probably uses:

Note: Kingler's usage is so low that it could very well be one guy using it

Kingler @ Choice Scarf / Assault Vest
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer
- Rock Slide / Rock Tomb
- Guillotine
- Superpower / Knock Off / X Scissor

Hyper Cutter sucks but I guess you could use it with Rock Tomb on the Assault Vest set..?

Last edited:
Hate to say it but Kingler is honestly flat out unviable in Battle Spot, there are sooooo many Water-types that outclass it like Gyarados, Cloyster, Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Sharpedo. Araquanid and Golisopod, the most comparable to Kingler, are also much better. Based on what the usage stats look like, this is what Kingler probably uses:

Note: Kingler's usage is so low that it could very well be one guy using it

Kingler @ Choice Scarf / Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer
- Rock Slide
- Guillotine
- Superpower / Knock Off / X Scissor

Hyper Cutter sucks but I guess you could use it with Rock Tomb on the Assault Vest set..?
thanks for the reply, I know it isn't amazing but still want to use it anyway. Just wondering why is Hyper cutter bad, did it change in some way? All the old info I found said its the best out of all of its abilities, as only a few moves he learns or can use are affected by Sheer Force.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
thanks for the reply, I know it isn't amazing but still want to use it anyway. Just wondering why is Hyper cutter bad, did it change in some way? All the old info I found said its the best out of all of its abilities, as only a few moves he learns or can use are affected by Sheer Force.
Oh yeah good point, i'm so used to Sheer Force being such a good ability I suggested it by default. Kingler is so irrelevant I didn't think about it lol

[...] I know it isn't amazing but still want to use it anyway. [...]
Like cant say has written Kingler is definitely outclassed by a lot of water-types, and there are probably very very little reasons (almost none tbf) to use it in competitive. One of those could be the combination of Sheer Force and Agility, a trait share only by Ferraligatr, that makes it unique somehow. Anyway, even this unique skill won't make Kingler good (sadly probably not even viable). This being said, If you really want to try it out, you could try this set and let us know how it works out.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Level: 50
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Crabhammer
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off / Superpower / Guillotine / Sword Dance

With this, if you (somehow, it won't be easy) manage to get an Agility up, Kingler at +2 will outspeed every unboosted pokemon in the meta (hitting 224 speed) and deal decent damage around with Sheer Force + LO, maybe finding a little niche.

Edit: the sad thing, that makes everything even worse is that it has no Physical Water STAB to take the advantage of Sheer Force

Last edited:
It sounds like your scizor is OK, so my question is what Ball is it in? I know that there have been some issues with Nintendo's hack checks flagging perfectly legal and legitimate Pokemon (specifically scizor, actually) if they're in a Safari (
) or Sport (
) Ball.

(Defog isn't the issue here as it's an Egg Move for Scyther in the later generations, although if this scizor learned it as a TM rather than an EM, then that's your problem. Only stuff originating in gen 6 or 7 can be used in battle spot - these can be identified easily on the Summary screen the the presence of either a blue Pentagon or a black +)

EDIT: Just read that you said you received the parent Scyther through Wonder Trade, meaning that this Scizor originates on gen 6 or 7, so we can eliminate that as the issue.
Ugh...you and fischgrat are right about the ball. It's in a safari ball, which means I can't breed a new Scizor to replace this one... gonna have to start with a brand new Scyther I guess. Thanks for the help!

Hey guys new at this forum!

Building team around Choice Band Entai (jolly max speed & attack), ya know wrek with teams with the op move Sacred Fire.

Do you have any suggestions for good teammates that counters the popular threats in the meta?

Where can I sign up for the tutor service as a tutee? Lost vs 1391 player 3-0 need to learn this metagame the right way with someone's help. Negative/minus/below 50% w rate record on battle spot single.
Thank You

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Where can I sign up for the tutor service as a tutee? Lost vs 1391 player 3-0 need to learn this metagame the right way with someone's help. Negative/minus/below 50% w rate record on battle spot single.
Thank You
My good friend GroudonEmpire, you can go here to sign up for Battling 101. Unfortunately sign-ups are locked for now, so keep an eye out for when they re-open. Sorry to have kept you waiting for 32 minutes before responding btw

Does anyone know when Mawilite and Beedrillite will be given away by Nintendo and when Showdown will allow them?
Mawilite and Beedrillite were given away to people parcipitating in the Alola International competition last weekend. I don't know when they will be added to showdown, but you missed out for the cartridge ones. Sorry :(

Mawilite and Beedrillite were given away to people parcipitating in the Alola International competition last weekend. I don't know when they will be added to showdown, but you missed out for the cartridge ones. Sorry :(
No they werent. The comp only just ended last weekend, and the prizes arent given out immediately after. For reference the alola friendly gave out the BP prize the following weekend.

Yeah but he can't get them now if he didn't participate
That doesnt matter, he can get them from cloners assuming he didnt compete which is a really weird assumption. But right now they're not in the game, he didnt miss anything. Everyone, including people who competed in the comp, have to wait at least a couple days.

Hi!
I have a team that starts with Pheromosa/Lele/MixMence/Aegi, has someone of you any suggestions for some valid members in the last two slots?
The team is for Battle Spot Doubles.
Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)