Ability: Ice Scales
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Quiver Dance

This set could work for a Rain team*, because it benefits from the weakened Fire-type attacks and it gets both Weather Ball and Hurricane. Ice Beam is good to nail Dragons that may wall you otherwise.

This thing is really bulky from the special side, specially after a Quiver Dance.

*Mainly in the lower tiers, I highly doubt this moth would cut it in OU, but since there aren't many rain abuser, it could be use

Last edited:
Another potencial set:

Frosmoth (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Quiver Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

A RestTalk mono-attacker. This gives Frosmoth a form of recovery and a way to better deal with status. And given it's shallow movepool, it's not like you miss any coverage.

124 Spe it's to outspeed uninvested base 80, but I also considered just 104 to outspeed Weavile after 2 QDs. Max HP and the rest goes to Defense, since QD and Ice Scales already cover your Special Defense.

I have been using a similarly defensive set, though instead of Rest Talk it lets it take a few hits to set up and keep a sweep going. Typing definitely doesn't help this but since Bug and Ice overlap in weaknesses it only has four instead of being Abomasnow tier. Ice Scales is so good it really doesn't need any SpD investment, and what it loses in offensive presence it largely makes up with Quiver Dance. I dont have enough competitive experience to say if its really that good but its been doing okay on low ladder, though note my team has sticky web.

(Frosmoth) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain

EVs not optimized I was just trying the rough idea. Boots are mandatory since any idea to take hits wont get far under hazards. Leftovers would be ideal under hazard clearing support. Moveset is largely self explanatory, Ice Beam and Bug Buzz as its two STABs, Quiver Dance as the core setup, best used against Corsola, and Giga Drain to provide some recovery. Substitute can be useful to stop it getting revenge killed easily. Weather Ball is a good option for weather teams though this would conflict with the option of dynamaxing it since that will set hail.

What could be good teammates for this mon?

For offensive Quiver Dance set in UU (Currently that's the lowest playable tier I think)

I know it needs:
  • Hazards removal (Although it can use Heavy-Duty Boots to negate this)
  • Fire- and Steel type checks (It both weak to them and it gets completely walled)
  • Water- and Rock-type checks (Walled by Waters without Giga Drain. 4x weak to Rock)
  • Likely hazards setters (To help weaken the opponent)
  • Teammates that bait in Grass, Ground and Dragon-type (like Electric-types, that would also help against Water and Flying-types)
I just don't know what mons to use alongside it

Last edited:
I have been using it as alongside Ribombee and Chandelure. Of all the hazards it really enjoys having webs up, given it is naturally rather slow and it looking to outspeed stuff with Quiver Dance. Chandelure is obviously a fantastic fire switch in due to Flash Fire and for obvious reasons also punches through most steel types. Might even bait in some of those ground types, though it reinforces the need for hazard removal. Rock types shouldnt be too much of an issue honestly, very few of them are going to see much play, the majority have atrocious SpD and a large lot have an Ice weakness due to their Ground subtype. Tyrannitar for its part has a Bug weakness. Of course, various things might be carrying around rock moves, but thats a different question.

Volcarona-Galar (Frosmoth) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Timid / Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Quiver Dance

This set could work for a Rain team*, because it benefits from the weakened Fire-type attacks and it gets both Weather Ball and Hurricane. Ice Beam is good to nail Dragons that may wall you otherwise.

This thing is really bulky from the special side, specially after a Quiver Dance.

*Mainly in the lower tiers, I highly doubt this moth would cut it in OU, but since there aren't many rain abuser, it could be use
+1 0 Atk Toxtricity Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth in Rain: 240-284 (85.4 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Frosmoth in Sun: 336-396 (119.5 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Fire types say hi

+1 0 Atk Toxtricity Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth in Rain: 240-284 (85.4 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Frosmoth in Sun: 336-396 (119.5 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Fire types say hi
Ice Scales doesn't currently work in the calculator. Here's what Torkoal's Lava Plume actually looks like:

0 Atk Torkoal Lava Plume vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Fur Coat Frosmoth in Sun: 168-204 (59.7 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In this calc, Lava Plume was made physical, and Frosmoth's base Defense was set to 90

Any Water-type suggestion?
It could bait Grass and Dragon type for Frosmoth to set-up on, while checking Fire and Steels
Barraskewda maybe? Obviously it beats Fire types, and access to Close Combat would probably make Steel types weary of switching in. Granted, Barraskewda is really only on the top of its game when dynamaxed to set up rain with G-Water and abuse Swift Swim, G-Fighting to boost attack, and G-Flying to boost speed even higher. Then again, Barraskewda has access to Ice Fang, so Grass and Dragon types may already fear what the fish had to offer.

Volcarona-Galar (Frosmoth) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Timid / Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Quiver Dance

Interestingly enough Frosmoth could also fit nicely on Sun teams (not necessarily in OU)? Giga Drain is good for hitting fat Water-types, Weather Ball lets it bust past Steel-types, and Ice Beam/Bug Buzz is decent STAB (Buzz notably hits Tyranitar harder probably).

Meanwhile Frosmoth can take Special Water attacks in the sun pretty easily I'd imagine. Sure it's not great, especially compared to Volcarona, but in a Dexit-world, it's something. God, just give this thing Roost please.

I haven't used Frosmoth personally, but I think Duggy and Hydreigon could pair well with this mon, especially now that Dynamax is banned, preventing defensive shenanigans from Pex to remove Duggy after surviving a hit. Dugtrio can utilize Sash and remove both Pex and Ferrothorn after a Screech and Sash use with Earthquake and Reversal respectively due to Arena Trap, allowing Frosmoth to setup and sweep, while Hydreigon does the same with Nasty Plot wallbreaking. Thoughts on this?

I've got some questions about calculating Pokémon stats in general as I'm pretty new to this... =D
There are some calculations here I don't get, while I was able to figure out others

1. (Quote):
»+1 0 Atk Toxtricity Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth in Rain: 240-284 (85.4 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Frosmoth in Sun: 336-396 (119.5 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO«
What is going on in such a calculation ?
I first thought that »+1« would indicate a single stat boost, but the same +1 appears in another comment in front of »HP«, and you can't boost max HP through moves

2. If I want to calculate... let's say the speed of a Choice Scarfed Chandelure with maximum investment in speed and a timid nature, how exactly is this to be done ? My hypothesis:
Base speed of Chandelure: 80
+ 252 EVs in speed & 31 IVs on speed (+timid nature) = 145

• 1,5 (Choice Scarf) = 217 (217,5 but I guess it's rounded off)

Would that be correct ?
Or does the effect of the Choice Scarf has to be applied to the pure base stat or something ?
And moves which lower a Pokémons speed stat, or abilities and moves which double it, does this lowering/doubling always happen after the calculated 145 for instance ?
Edit: For level 50, forgot to say

Last edited:
I've got some questions about calculating Pokémon stats in general as I'm pretty new to this... =D
There are some calculations here I don't get, while I was able to figure out others

1. (Quote):
»+1 0 Atk Toxtricity Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth in Rain: 240-284 (85.4 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Frosmoth in Sun: 336-396 (119.5 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO«
What is going on in such a calculation ?
I first thought that »+1« would indicate a single stat boost, but the same +1 appears in another comment in front of »HP«, and you can't boost max HP through moves

2. If I want to calculate... let's say the speed of a Choice Scarfed Chandelure with maximum investment in speed and a timid nature, how exactly is this to be done ? My hypothesis:
Base speed of Chandelure: 80
+ 252 EVs in speed & 31 IVs on speed (+timid nature) = 145

• 1,5 (Choice Scarf) = 217 (217,5 but I guess it's rounded off)

Would that be correct ?
Or does the effect of the Choice Scarf has to be applied to the pure base stat or something ?
And moves which lower a Pokémons speed stat, or abilities and moves which double it, does this lowering/doubling always happen after the calculated 145 for instance ?
Edit: For level 50, forgot to say
https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/

Ema Skye

Work!
I know about that website, but it's still confusing me.. especially the +1 part xD
The boosts to stats are always put before the EVs in the calculation, because it keeps the EV spread together so it looks nicer. So even though the +1 is before the HP EVs in the calculator, it is boosting the SpD.

The calculation of a base stat though is pretty complex. You’ll want to look on bulbapedia for it if you really want to know.

What could be good teammates for this mon?

For offensive Quiver Dance set in UU (Currently that's the lowest playable tier I think)

I know it needs:
  • Hazards removal (Although it can use Heavy-Duty Boots to negate this)
  • Fire- and Steel type checks (It both weak to them and it gets completely walled)
  • Water- and Rock-type checks (Walled by Waters without Giga Drain. 4x weak to Rock)
  • Likely hazards setters (To help weaken the opponent)
  • Teammates that bait in Grass, Ground and Dragon-type (like Electric-types, that would also help against Water and Flying-types)
I just don't know what mons to use alongside it
Possibly Rhyperior?
Checks Fire nicely, Has good defensive bulk to compliment Frosmoth's good spdef, can setup hazards, baits in grass and special attacks, tanks rock moves well.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
This isn't a good title to have, but congrats to Frosmoth for being by far the most susceptible Pokemon ever to hazards (aside from Shedinja):

- 4x weak to Stealth Rock
- Hurt by Spikes
- Is a Quiver Dance user, meaning it's crippled by Sticky Web as it now takes 2 boosts instead of 1 for its Speed to reach good levels
- Crippled by Toxic Spikes as the poison ends its "sweep" earlier than it would have otherwise
- Copperajah's G-Max move sets up a hazard that's similar/identical to Steel-type Stealth Rock. Frosmoth is weak to that too. If it does 25% damage and Frosmoth's HP value is an even number, Frosmoth will immediately die from 100% if all hazards are present, being the second Pokemon after Shedinja to accomplish this "feat." Regardless of how Copperajah's hazard works, Frosmoth is hurt by it.

Praise whoever came up with Heavy-Duty Boots.
is that checked? Ice scales halfs special damage, maybe that kind of damage too? was that tested?

is that checked? Ice scales halfs special damage, maybe that kind of damage too? was that tested?
Ice Scales only halve damage from Special Attacks, while entry hazards aren’t Attacks, they’re just damage-dealing objects that activate when a Pokemon enters the arena. So Frosmoth still take the most damage from entry hazards. Hope this clarifies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)