Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Why was ghost there with Sam? No idea on that. Also I would have liked if they had shown more of the battle at the fist, but I guess they had to leave it out due to budget reasons.

I really liked that they introduced Barriston right away instead of dragging it out in the books.

The Tywin-Tyrion scene was outstanding. Charles Dance is such a great actor and that interaction was amazing.

So far this is looking to be a great season and reviews have said this is the weakest episode of the first four. Can't wait for the rest of the episodes especially episode nine where shit goes down.

Dammit Sam. YOU HAD ONE JOB. Lucky Ghost saved you. :]

Now that's that out of the way.

Thoughts on the episode?
I read the book and currently reading A Feast for Crows so I'll keep all spoilers out of this post.

I loved it. The Tywin and Tyrion interaction was perfect and very and definitely the highlight of the episode, in my opinion. The scene with Jon and Mance Rayder was also a great one but it just wasn't nearly as clear as it was in the books (dialogue change). I also thought Ciran Hinds killed it "I think what you want most of all is to be a hero" it was perfectly delivered for the full effect. Drogon was a badass as usually. Joffrey is still a bitch. Margaery is still hot. Even though I read the book and know that a lot of things happened this episode, it didn't feel like it. I feel like someone who didn't read the books saw this episode as short and not every eventful as it was. Anyone who hasn't read the books can tell me their thoughts?

A couple things I noticed, the Tywin and Tyrion scene was changed a little bit. In the book Tyrion was still sick and weak, he was using a cane to get around and was in linens/rags iirc. If they had done this I think the scene would have been much better and more meaningful. Minor order of events nitpick
Shea being Sansa's servant didn't happened until later on.
(also if someone could tell me how to get text next to the "Show" button that would be cool) won't change anything in the long run just interesting that the writers made it happen early.

Overall pretty good episode.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Ghost was with the Lord Commander, who met up with Sam. I can't remember if Jon went to the Wildings camp with Ghost or not in the books.

Lots of amazing CG-I in this episode, Ghost And Drogon look spectacular.

Also agreeing with that scene of Tywin and Tyrion. Very well acted. The sene that took the cake for me though was the Dragonstone scene. Davis is my favorite character in the series and Liam does a spectacular job. The music fit so well with that part where he was trying to stab Mel. It left me breathing in and out feeling nervous and loathe for the witch and sympathy for both Davos and Stannis.

Let's hope they keep it up.

Ah yea, one more thing. Surprised the only nudity was a pair of boobs and not something ridiculous like episode 2 of last season (whore mouth cleaning scene)

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really liked that they introduced Barriston right away instead of dragging it out in the books.
Definitely. I'm really glad they got the same actor back too as he was fantastic in season 1 even in the few scenes he had. Same goes for Sallador San.

Looks like they are keeping Bronn and Tyrion together for a lot longer, which is great because Bronn in the TV show is just awesome.
So far the changes I've noticed all seem justifiable and for the better, although I think that may end with
Vargo Hoat's character being changed. If he doesn't have the signature lisp I will be disappointed. Also no Strong Belwas is a shame but has been known for a while.

Thoughts From A Non-Book Reader

definitely a great episode, though i'm never disappointed by GoT to be honest. as mentioned the CGI was amazing... dany's dragons look just awesome, although the massive amount of CGI in this episode probably means there will be far less until the end of the season. great acting by tywin, davos and bronn as well. god damn the characters in this show are so good. really happy to see ser barristan back since he was a big highlight in season 1 for me despite limited screen time, and you just knew he'd play a pretty big role in the future after the way he went out

i'm not sure if i missed anything at the beginning but how the hell did sam get out of his predicament from the season 2 finale?? i remember joking with my friends that it'd be hilarious if sam survived, but i kind of figured they wouldn't just kill him off so easily

EDIT: i guess they must have left out the battle that ifm mentioned because of $$$$$$$$ but seriously he was straight up surrounded lol

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Question for book readers:

Does knowing the storyline from the books somewhat ruin the TV show for you (because you pretty much know what's going to happen)? I'm thinking of getting into the books but not sure yet.

I think i need to rewatch season 2... GoT has so much going on at the same time i'm always forgetting names/events.

Disappointed they didn't show the battle at the start on screen.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Question for book readers:

Does knowing the storyline from the books somewhat ruin the TV show for you (because you pretty much know what's going to happen)? I'm thinking of getting into the books but not sure yet.
I'm not really sure yet...I watched the first two series and then got bored of waiting for the third so read all the books in the mean time. I still really enjoyed the first episode despite knowing what was what, but I guess I'll have to see how the rest of the series goes. Seeing the events happen on the screen is still really enjoyable (Tywin Tyrion scene was INCREDIBLE) and its kinda interesting seeing other peoples interpretations of events. There are also a few small differences between the two which are kinda fun to notice and think about.

Overall though I think the books are so good that I would recommend reading them despite what it will do to the enjoyment of the TV show.

I haven't read the book series, and I definitely like not knowing what's going to happen with each new episode. After Season 3, I might read through the entire series, but I'm not going to start until this season is over. I was really impressed with the Tywin/Tyrion dialogue, and the performances from both actors. All of Dany's scenes were pretty great, too - I'm just disappointed we didn't get to see Arya or Bran.

I petted my nipples during that one.
Petted? I was cupping mine and cringing. Man, that was gruesome.

Was the episode a disappointment? no. i guess that after waiting a year I've been really pumped up but GoTing for the next 9 weeks is going to be great, and I'm still excited for next week's episode.

Ghost was with the Lord Commander, who met up with Sam. I can't remember if Jon went to the Wildings camp with Ghost or not in the books.
In the books, Ghost is with Jon and the free folk. Also, was that Dolorous Edd at the beginning with his head cut off? It kind of looked like him.

I've read all the books, so I'll put my thoughts on the current season in tags. I won't spoil anything past "Storm of Swords."

No Strong Belwas? How can you do the fight with Oznak at Meereen without Belwas and his shitting after the fight? Haha

I'm also surpirsed they left out the scene with Jorah kissing Dany on the boat. It's kind of a big part of the plot. Perhaps it will come later?

It was also interesting to see Qyburn. I'm still wandering if we'll see Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions. They really affect multiple parts of the story (Jamie and Brienne, Arya and the Hound), so it would be interesting to see how everything unfolds without them, or who takes their place.

I'm super excited for this season and the next. "Storm of Swords" was probably my favorite book of the series.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
After re-watching the opening they definitely just skipped the battle at the fist of the first men. IIRC in the book it is told from the point of view of a prequel character that dies, but I am pretty sure Sam was there for the battle. Either way, shouldn't effect the story that much but the battle would have been sick if they had showed it.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
so i was finally able to get into the show after failing a few times due to how slow the first couple episodes are. i'm about to finish season 2 and i'm kind of addicted so i want to know where i should start reading from to pick up where i left off

help

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
so i was finally able to get into the show after failing a few times due to how slow the first couple episodes are. i'm about to finish season 2 and i'm kind of addicted so i want to know where i should start reading from to pick up where i left off

help
I did the same thing as you...watch 2 series then start reading. I started with book 1 and i think its the right thing to do since there is a lot more details and a lot of subtle plot points you dont get with the show (I wont spoil anything but yeah). You probably could start with book 3 and be ok with everything thats going on, but even by this point there are a few small differences which would be confusing.

tl;dr the books are amazing read them all dont suck

help
I'm backing Django here. Start with book one. I also did the same thing watch seasons 1 and 2 then read and there are a ton a details you get from the books that really aid to the understanding of the story as a whole.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
If you try to start reading A Storm of Swords after watching the first two series I can pretty much ensure you will be confused. You get such a better understanding after reading the books and the show really only scratches the surface. Definitely read all the books you won't be disappointed.

No Strong Belwas? How can you do the fight with Oznak at Meereen without Belwas and his shitting after the fight? Haha

I'm also surpirsed they left out the scene with Jorah kissing Dany on the boat. It's kind of a big part of the plot. Perhaps it will come later?

It was also interesting to see Qyburn. I'm still wandering if we'll see Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions. They really affect multiple parts of the story (Jamie and Brienne, Arya and the Hound), so it would be interesting to see how everything unfolds without them, or who takes their place.
Pretty sure they've been cast

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

help
I was not bored at all reading the first two books after being in the same situation as you. Start from the beginning. Book 1 and 2 are great.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Still a great season so far.

The Reed children are amazing and interesting as they were in the book and the actors didn't disappoint. The Brotherhood Without Banners is friggin GREAT. The Thoros depiction in the show is off from the original character but LOADS of fun, man. Glad to see the Hound is back! The Warg scene beyond the Wall was creepy but awesome.

One of my favorite scenes was the part where Sansa starts to talk with the Tyrell ladies. It was really tense with Sansa's fear and all, and the actress playing Olenna Redwyne did a FANTASTIC job. Props.

Great interactions between Tyrion and Shae, yada yada, great episode.

Also, more of Shaggydog and Rickon please :(

I thought the Tyrion/Shae scene was the one low point in an otherwise perfect episode (which was driven home to me because I left HBO on while I did other stuff for the encore performance and stopped watching during that scene). Olenna, Reed children really nail their roles, though I keep getting distracted by the fact one of the Reed kids is clearly Alaka. I thought Margery's scenes were absolutely perfect, both the one with Sansa and Olenna where everyone was pretty much perfect and then the one witn Joffrey where she was so expertly pushing his buttons. My main reaction yesterday was just enjoying how perfect everyone was in their roles, god the cast is good.

Little surprised to see Theon already, but this is probably a better way to show his arc on TV...

Thoughts on the new episode:

Wow! Puberty really hit Bran hard! Haha!

The actress playing the Queen of Thorns was awesome! Definitely looking forward to see more of her and the Reeds.

The Brotherhood without Banners was good too. I saw Anguy, but no Lem...wtf?

Looking forward to seeing the Blackfish and Edmure soon! And, yes, this cast is amazing!

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
The bad part of having read the books beforehand is that you cringe and curse every time they leave out a bloody battle/key scene/rape/sex scene you were expecting and waiting for eagerly

Honestly, you won't know the tons of stuff you're missing out on if you just follow the show.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So glad to see the Reeds finally! I must say, the Mance scene in the first episode is no where near as good as the book in my opinion. That's one of my favorite scenes though, so maybe I've just hyped it up too much in my head. I was surprised to see Theon already, but I think that it will be cool to see the interaction and growth of Theon, Ramsay, and Reek from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)