garchomp / salamence slaying

im scrapping my team and starting from the ground up- and i was hoping some of you smogon people could help me out. These two pokemon are high priority on my list of things to kill. What does the job well? originaly i used special lucario, but i got frustrated with how they were always one point faster even after i went for a timid nature. I considered bronzong as it could learn hidden power ice, but the fire blast would smoke me. I feel like i am not seeing a vital part of this game or something because i often loose... more so than not. The only thing i refuse to do is to use pokemon with combined base stats of 600. I feel like if i am going to win it should be without them (which raises an interesting idea in and of itself as to whether or not 600s should have their own tier but im not going there since thats a 100% sure way to get flamed on any pokemon forum.) Whatever it may be- do you know of any ways to beat the dragons?

Weavile can't switch in well but you can guarantee the OHKO with Ice Shard and CB. Metagross with Ice punch switches in pretty well but you need CS to KO before they KO you.

Weavile does fairly well if they're not scarfed. I don't know how powerful Ice Shard is on one holding Life Orb but I'm thinking that it packs enough punch to OHKO both Mence and Chomp.

Vacuum Wave, Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch pwn Vile though.

thats a good idea- also how about medicham? I already have a weavile but it goes down fast, as i use it as my starter specificaly to get a fast KO then go down

Use a Mono Ice/Hail team. They're probably not goin to switch in much with the threat of 100% accurate Blizzards, mostly STAB'd......

alright im considering doing a weather team- Im gonna use medicham though- pure power + jolly + choice scarf = lots of dead pokemon. Im giving up on mixed sweepers too, so now i am gonna add walls and all out sweepers. A personal fav of mine is tangrowth and i might salvage that from my own team- it beats blisseys and garchomps with a bit of help from leech seed and hidden power, it can take a fire blast too which surprised me the first time it happened. As for sweepers and walls- im fed up being weak to earth fire and ground. That actualy brings up gengar- HP ice on a timid gengar would take garchomps and mess them up. I would actualy enjoy a weather team, unfortunatley hail wont help tangrowth's special ability...

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The first thing that you should realize is what type of moveset that you seriously want to counter.

If you just want something that can Revenge-kill, Weavile and Mamoswine are good choices with Ice Shard (and Choice Band).

As far as walling, Cresselia walls the majority of the dragons. Some others, like Empoleon, could counter certain movesets (Empoleon counters the Specsmence quite well).

Hail or Sand Stream + Medicham will be a dead Medicham.

Also, Mespirit/Uxie each do well with Reflect and some a little bit of ice.

- Actually you dont want to use 600 base, but these are just so CUTE ^___^

I agree with Jump though.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You need to read the definition of counter, which is my RMT announcement in the RMT forum. Then you need to read the Garchomp Analysis which has its counter, 600-base stats or no, which is in the Archives. After you do that read the rules if you haven't already, and then if you're still having trouble with your team you can post it in the RMT forum, but we are not going to help you build your team basically from scratch (which is in the aforementioned rules I have a feeling you haven't read).

yea im from marriland- that place is pretty much spam until some guy helps out of pity- and usualy they are wrong. Ill look for stickys (this place is big.) ty for help

I find Regice does quite good. With some EV investment in Defense and HP, it can survive two Outrages and OHKO Scarfchomp back. Salamence can't really do anything except two Stone Edges, but since people always run Jolly, 352 HP/299 DEF Regice survives those too. Just make sure theres no SR up and you guarentee that they flee or die.

However, upon further investigation, if the enemy gets MAXIMUM damage both hits, you are in trouble. you'll die. If you run bold, you wont, however.

in general, Slowbro is nice. he has trouble with a fully-powered Draco Meteor, but otherwise he's a very sturdy Dragon Counter.

Cressy comes in well enough usually and can KO with Ice Beam. Ice Beam on Blissey can KO SpecsMence and other dragons if they switch in for some dumb reason. Hell, about anything with Choice Scarf and enough EVs in SpA and Ice Beam can KO those two.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
It's difficult to come up with a Pokemon that can counter all variants of Salamence and Garchomp at the same time. I think that a Regirock in a SS, armed with Ice Punch and perhaps Counter would be a good bet. The EV's would have to be quite specificaly tailored though. He lacks a recovery move, so you may have to use Rest with Aromatherapy support to keep countering the Dragons for long.

Weavile (or Mamoswine) can revenge kill any of the dragons with Ice Shard. It's not a counter, but it makes a decent insurance policy.

Forry and Skarm can both tank physical dragon attacks easily (Skarm gets bonus points for being able to whirlwind away the SubSD Chomps), but they're both screwed over by opponents running fire moves, and neither of them can really threaten the dragons (sans explosion on Forry's part).

Some pokemon (Hippodown, Slowbro) are bulky enough to take some abuse on the physical side and can threaten with ice attacks, but they usually can't stand up to a CB Outrage from Garchomp.

Blissey can easily take on all-special variants like Specsmence, but is given trouble by any of them running physical attacks.

The dragons really are difficult to counter without knowing their moveset, so the best thing to do is probably initially switch in something that can take a dragon attack from either side effectively (something like Registeel) since most lead with a Dragon attack, and try to figure out their moveset and counter it from there.

It's difficult to come up with a Pokemon that can counter all variants of Salamence and Garchomp at the same time.
Cresselia is the only real option I can think of >_>

Weavile with/CB/LO or mamoswine can easily kill em thats why i have a weavile on my team + it can 2HKO/1HKO dusknoir with a CB/LO boosted night slash and if hes switching pursuit

I think Slowking can take hits very well. With the proper investment, Specsmence's Draco Meteor won't even 2HKO (I believe). It can then proceed to Slack Off and Ice Beam the dragons to hell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)