Approved by Aragorn the King
Old thread by Halcyon.
Old thread found here
Smogon Dex Entry found here
Gardevoir #282

Base Stats: 68/65/65/125/115/80
Mega Stats: 68/85/65/165/135/100

Abilities
Synchronize: When this Pokémon becomes Poisoned, Paralyzed, or Burned, so does the opponent. However, Fire-type and Water Veil ability Pokémon cannot be Burned, Poison-type and Steel-type and Immunity ability Pokémon cannot be Poisoned, and Limber ability Pokémon cannot be Paralyzed.
Trace: Ability becomes the same as that of the opponent. Switching this Pokémon out of battle restores its original ability. In a Double/Triple Battle, a random opponent’s ability will be copied.
Telepathy (Hidden): Prevents damage from team-mates during Double and Triple battles

Mega Ability
Pixilate: Increases the power of Normal-type moves by 30%. It then changes those moves to Fairy-type.

Notable Moves
STAB in Bold
Hyper Voice
Psyshock
Psychic
Focus Blast
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt
Calm Mind
Hidden Power Ground
Hidden Power Fire
Wish
Protect
Shadow Ball
Healing Wish
Memento
Destiny Bond
Moonblast

General Analysis

One of the few XY Megas to stay consistently good and perhaps arguably become better come ORAS OU, Gardevoir retains the role of a Fairy-Type specially based Stallbreaker it did back in late XY with the departure of Aegislash and Mawile. While it now has new threats to deal with such as Metagross, a resurgence in Banded Scizor and the brief bit of trouble it had with Greninja before it’s inevitable banning, ultimately Gardevoir benefited from other changes surrounding the metagame shift – namely, it got a few more targets in Stall. Having seen a slight decline in viability in late XY, Stall got a new name for itself when Mega Sableye decided to come along and give it a new face, along with a couple of it’s friends in Mega Slowbro and Mega Altaria. And Gardevoir promptly managed to obliterate all three. While speed creep, a spike in steel usage and a few more annoying Pokémon such as Beedrill have popped up to make Gardevoir’s life harder, it retains and improves upon it’s role as OU’s premier stallbreaker who is sure to continue to be a force in OU until the next game.

Notable Movesets

Wallbreaker

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
-Will-O-Wisp/Taunt

Gardevoir’s standard Bread and Butter set in OU. Hyper Voice is what makes Gardevoir the threat it is; with Pixilate it becomes a 117 Base Power Fairy move – and that’s before factoring in STAB! This alone allows it to break down many a wall such as Sableye, Altaria and Slowbro; but for those Fairy spam just can’t break down, you have Psyshock for your extra STAB coverage to break down ‘mon that resist your fairy moves such as Tentacruel and also lets you bypass special walls such as Chansey, due to hitting on the physical side. Focus Blast is also just as essential, as it lets you get past Steels your dual STAB just can’t; most notably Ferrothorn and Heatran. Finally, the last slot is a toss-up of what you prefer – Taunt completes your stallbreaking role through shutting down most any dedicated wall; in particular this lets you walk all over Chansey. Will-O-Wisp if you’re real and like burning physical attacking switch-ins such as Metagross, Scizor and Azumarill. As for the nature and EVs; there’s barely any need to go for anything other than full Special Attack and Speed investment. However, it is highly recommended you take 24 EVs from Special Attack into Defence to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Latios’ Psyshock from full – ie this doesn’t work if you come in on stealth rock - this allows you to fully beat it 1-1. A Timid nature can be run to speed tie fellow base 100s such as Mega Charizard Y and opposing Gardevoir as well as base 85-99. Modest is, however, the preferred nature for the pure hitting power; you must go with this if you run Taunt because otherwise you cannot reliably beat Chansey, i.e. the main reason to run Taunt. While minor, Trace is the preferred pre-mega ability as it can nab you some pretty nice goodies; like Intimidating a Gyarados or copying Swift Swim to beat a rain sweeper.

Calm Mind

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
It's funny how a single move can completely change the playstyle of a Pokémon. The EV spread, nature, ability and moveset are chosen for the same reasons; but there is one significant difference of course: Calm Mind. Upon coming in and forcing a switch on something like, say, Mega Sableye, you can proceed to set up a Calm Mind and if you've played right and removed every counter up until that point, pretty much a GG. There's rather little to elaborate on here; Calm Mind's boosting works as a fantastic win condition and a surprise to pull out against an opponent expecting the standard wallbreaking set. Timid is by far the preferred nature in this case as you can easily make up for your power with the Special Attack boosts from Calm Mind while you get to outspeed, again, the base 85s-99s while tying with base 100s. Modest can still be used if your team is designed to handle those.

Specially Defensive

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
A very different take on the common Gardevoir you oft see, this set is designed to lure in common counters to Gardevoir such as physically offensive Steel-Types and Volt-Turn cores, burning them with Will-O-Wisp and passing a wish if need be. This provides excellent team support while giving you a very bulky wall which, despite having no investment in either EVs nor Nature, still hits very hard -- a STAB 117 Base Power move off of 165 Special Attack is still nothing to scoff at. While seemingly complicated at first, the EVs are in fact rather simple. Max HP, enough speed to outpace max investment base 70s like Bisharp and Breloom so you can still kill them, the rest in Special Defence. A Calm nature is chosen to increase Gardevoir's special bulk as much as possible. Trace is there for the same reasons; tracing a useful ability like Intimidate can be quite nifty.

Other Options
A Choice Scarf set is certainly viable and actually not bad; the only item Gardevoir should be running if not Gardevoirite. With max Special Attack, Speed, Timid/Modest and a set of Moonblast, Focus Blast, Psyshock and something fun like Trick or Memento, Gardevoir can become a decently powerful revenge killer if your team is weak to weather sweepers or certain fast dragons such as Latios. However, this is very team specific and you really have to know what you are doing.
Hidden Power Ground is an option over Focus Blast as it hits Heatran for the exact same power but you don't have to worry about the shaky 70% accuracy. However, this isn't highly recommended as you miss out on other important targets such as Ferrothorn.
Hidden Power Fire is an option over Focus Blast as it hits Ferrothorn for the exact same power but you don't have to worry about the shaky 70% accuracy. It also allows you to bop Scizor on the switch as a decent lure. However, this isn't highly recommended as you miss out on other important targets such as Heatran.
Shadow Ball is a third and final coverage option you can consider as it allows you to beat Pokémon that would give you trouble such as Jirachi or Bronzong which would otherwise be checks.
Memento is a nifty surprise option that can be used to weaken an opponent's offensive presence and give a free switch into a set-up sweeper.
Healing Wish also creates momentum and heals teammates completely to give them a second chance in the game.
Destiny Bond could be nice to throw a surprise KO on a slower threat that would OHKO you.

Checks & Counters
Steel-Types: While Focus Blast and Hidden Power Fire/Ground slightly alleviate this issue, Gardevoir's biggest problem remains with Steel-types. Mega Metagross, any Scizor variant, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Jirachi... whether defensive or offensive there is no end to the trouble they can cause Gardevoir.
Poison-Types: To a much lesser degree, Poison-Types can also cause trouble for Gardevoir but they are generally not common in OU beyond Gengar, but Beedrill, Scolipede and Gengar itself can all outspeed and hit very hard with a STAB move.
Physical Attacks: Gardevoir is extremely frail on the physical side no matter what you do; 68/65 is not going to be tanking anything any time soon. Mega Charizard X, Mega Lopunny, Landorus-Therian and many more all have the ability to outspeed and OHKO Gardevoir. On a similar note, strong priority users such as Talonflame, Azumarill and Dragonite can all either hit hard or OHKO Gardevoir as well.

Feel free to discuss any other potential movesets or roles for this Pokémon; or perhaps just an expansion or alteration to the sets provided. This is a top-tier threat for a reason; there's plenty room for it to be versatile.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is probably my favorite mega right now. Mega Gardevoir hits sooooo hard and Trace is extremely fun to play with - you can switch into Sableye to bounce back Will-O-Wisp, copy Regenerator from Slowbro and Natural Cure from Chansey which is nice if you've been statused. My favorite was copying Adaptability from Dragalge (oml I didn't even have to mega evo right away), and you already mentioned the Swift Swim / Sand Rush shenanigans you can get away with. Not to mention I find it incredibly frustrating to lose to stall (and I doubt I'm alone), and Gardevoir makes that matchup way better. Even Modest Gardevoir isn't dead weight against offense since if it isn't being outsped and OHKO'd, it pretty much gets a kill.

Pent

dumb broad
Not saying Mega Gardevoir is bad or outclassed by it's norm, but maybe mention the normal Scarf/Specs set? Donno if many people use it anymore, (well I do...) but it is pretty fun and powerful to use.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not saying Mega Gardevoir is bad or outclassed by it's norm, but maybe mention the normal Scarf/Specs set? Donno if many people use it anymore, (well I do...) but it is pretty fun and powerful to use.
Scarf was demoted to OO on the official analysis and it's way better than Specs since it can revenge kill stuff. It should get an offhand mention at best (also it's not like the set has some obscure EV spread or anything).

Also, Wallbreaker and CM could probably be merged since they do the same thing with one move different.

I have already given a mention to the Scarf set. Specs doesn't seem to have much of a merit if any over Sylveon aside from maybe the STAB Psyshock or extra coverage in Focus Blast.
edit: karx pls

Minor question

Does the Specially Defensive set aim to outspeed Base 70's with a neutral or a positive nature? And does the set have any other advantages over other clerics besides WoW (I know it probably hits harder than Cleric Sylveon or Clefable, but the Mega Slot is a considerable opportunity cost even for a defensive mon)

Minor question

Does the Specially Defensive set aim to outspeed Base 70's with a neutral or a positive nature? And does the set have any other advantages over other clerics besides WoW (I know it probably hits harder than Cleric Sylveon or Clefable, but the Mega Slot is a considerable opportunity cost even for a defensive mon)
Jolly 252 Base 70s reach 262 speed while the EVs listed for SpD M-Garde reaches 263, so yes, it aims to outspeed those with a positive nature.
I must admit I actually don't know much about the set itself; it's rather a new thing that's been gaining popularity -- I generally stick to the offensive sets. On suggestion I decided to add it in and piece together as much information on it as I could. I would really love input on it from people who use it though.

Gardevoir has a really cool design :]
Might want to reword something here though:
"A Timid nature is preferred to speed tie fellow base 100s such as Mega Charizard Y and opposing Gardevoir as well as base 85-99. Modest is, however, used by many for the pure hitting power; and you must go with this if you run Taunt because otherwise you cannot reliably beat Chansey, i.e. the main reason to run Taunt."
You have Modest as the only option for a nature, so it would make sense to change it to something like "A Modest nature is the preferred nature to 3HKO Chansey", and then "A Timid nature can also be used if you want to speed tie base 100s".

Putting sets aside lets discuss how MGarde is doing so far in the meta. Personally speaking I LOVE using MGarde as I find there is an increasing number of balanced or defensive teams proliferating in the tier of which MGarde just wreaks havoc once you eliminate problematic steels like Heatran/Ferro/Scizor, easy enough to do so when you carry a Talonflame as between taking hits from Pixilate Hyper Voice + Brave Bird these mons are going to be worn down and the team subsequently vulnerable to one of the two. Unlike the other two wallbreakers megas of the previous game MGarde continues to be more relevant due to her higher speed tier and hitting on the special side, since she isn't as neutered by Lando-T switch ins, and of course the ever potent fairy STAB. Psyshock + Taunt allows her to take on the only special wall capable to stomaching Hyper Voice, course this requires some prediction but with a volt-turn team it should be easy enough to wear her down to 2HKO range.

I've been toying around more with HP Ground over Focus blast as of late since I find Ferrothorn is rather manageable in so much that he takes quite a beating from Hyper Voice:
232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 94-111 (26.7 - 31.5%) -- 27.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Aside from lefties and leech seed he is going to be worn down, if you put that alongside other damage he's likely to take through the course of the match. HP Ground at least provides me with a more reliable means of dealing with Heatran, since it is essentially the same damage output but without the accuracy issue. Seeing as Heatran is the only steel that manages to avoid taking a crap ton of damage from Hyper Voice I've found myself drawn into using HP Ground to eliminate Heatran specifically as the other steels can worn down through brute force.

Edit: If we look at the more uncommon steels like Jirachi and Empoleon only Empoleon gets bopped hard by Focus Blast, Jirachi takes more or less the same from Focus Blast and HP Ground (assuming you nail em properly on the switch).

232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi: 123-145 (30.4 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi: 124-146 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Though if you are really aiming to kill em helps to note their damage from Hyper Voice.
232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi: 89-105 (22 - 25.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 89-105 (23.9 - 28.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
The thing I love about mega garde is that she does a lot of damage to ANYTHING by just spamming a move. plus, anything that is not a sweeper or a BP user will have to take TWO, and that is generally more thn what walls can take( in perspective garde 3hko's max hp blissey without leftovers with HYPER VOICE). Anything takes a minimum of 20% unless you are double resisted (heatran). Even (mega)scizor is koed by hyper voice+focus blast with a bit of prior damage(rocks). And she can burn the metal bug AND any other steel type coming in! If you REALLY want you can run bold max def to survive ONE BP from non banded scizor or mega metagross(on the mega turn) and pull a surprize ko.

Best mega for wallbreaking imo. Its like a "special version" of Mega Medicham and the hardest thing to switch into in ou atm. Taunt makes it a fearsome stallbreaker and Psyshock for pseudo mixed coverage, hitting hard both physically and specially. Get her in safely is tough and require double switches (or using a volt-turn partner), but it's all worth it, somethings on the opponente's team gonna die :)

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
TheBraveGallade said:
If you REALLY want you can run bold max def to survive ONE BP from non banded scizor or mega metagross(on the mega turn) and pull a surprize ko.
Assuming you run max HP/max Def Bold, you just have a slight chance to 2HKO MegaGross by Blasting him on the switch, a bit more if he isn't Mega Evolved.
Still a shaky strategy imo.

4 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross: 146-172 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 123-145 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

On another note, I'd really like to build around Mega Gard, but which partners should I consider ?
I feel like I should dedicate at least 2 slots to take care of MegaGross (currently testing PDef Gliscor + bulky Starmie), but that leaves me with only 3 slots left to check the other mons.
Any ideas ?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Assuming you run max HP/max Def Bold, you just have a slight chance to 2HKO MegaGross by Blasting him on the switch, a bit more if he isn't Mega Evolved.
Still a shaky strategy imo.

4 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross: 146-172 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 123-145 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

On another note, I'd really like to build around Mega Gard, but which partners should I consider ?
I feel like I should dedicate at least 2 slots to take care of MegaGross (currently testing PDef Gliscor + bulky Starmie), but that leaves me with only 3 slots left to check the other mons.
Any ideas ?
If you want to cover mega Metagross when building with gardevoir, your best choice is using Will-O-Wisp over Taunt to catch it on the switch / prevent it from getting a free switch in. Chansey already sees the taunt coming from a mile away, so it'll just seismic toss versus garde.
Wisp is also really nice to avoid Bisharp's Sucker Punch, which can also be achieved with a sub 3 attacks set which is solid.

Last edited:

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If you want to cover mega Metagross when building with gardevoir, your best choice is using Will-O-Wisp over Taunt to catch it on the switch / prevent it from getting a free switch in. Chansey already sees the taunt coming from a mile away, so it'll just seismic toss versus garde.
Wisp is also really nice to avoid Bisharp's Sucker Punch, which can also be achieved with a sub 3 attacks set which is solid.
Oh thanks, I always went with Taunt, but WoW or Sub (isn't it a bit hindering without recovery ?) sounds interesting, I'll probably try it.

Oh thanks, I always went with Taunt, but WoW or Sub (isn't it a bit hindering without recovery ?) sounds interesting, I'll probably try it.
Substitute is generally a nice move regardless of if you have recovery or not. Unless you're up against a sound move user - of which there are only like four that are viable in OU - then it's nice to force something out and get off what is basically a protect while you attack. I might add it to OO actually.

Substitute is generally a nice move regardless of if you have recovery or not. Unless you're up against a sound move user - of which there are only like four that are viable in OU - then it's nice to force something out and get off what is basically a protect while you attack. I might add it to OO actually.
Another thing I like about garde; it does not care about subs. If you swich on a protect/sub/roost/sd(which is easy) it is FORCED to swich out. In fact, once i killed a bulky roost/refresh/sub/return megamence with no spped investment and one shotted it.

I still don't understand why most people underestimate Gardevoir!
Also one question-Is energy ball good on gardevoir as it can kill slowbro-m and others?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also one question-Is energy ball good on gardevoir as it can kill slowbro-m and others?
Energy Ball provides no useful coverage as all rock, water, and ground types are hit harder by Hyper Voice, Psyshock, or Focus Blast (a more useful coverage move).

Ninja'd by BNB, but I thought I'd provide a visual of why it's not very good:

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 280-330 (71 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 271-321 (68.7 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Given that nothing that resists Fairy is weak to Energy Ball, the only things that will take noticeably more from Energy Ball are Swampert and Quagsire, and the former will destroy you in Rain and the latter is 2HKO by Hyper Voice.

EDIT: Just realized I implied Fairy/Grass was perfect coverage. I'm amazed no one caught that.

Last edited:
Energy ball literally does NOTHING for you; at least in ou. There arn't any real threats that other moves cannot do, and the damage done by a SE 90bp move is LESS than a stab pixilate hyper voice.
also if you want to hit m-slowbro use shadow ball. It also hits mgarde's (and ou's) biggest threat mmetagross for 63~73% vs hyper voice's 40%. Overall though mega gardevior is the ONLY pokemon im comfortable in running just one offensive move.
oh btw this is random bit i wonder what would it be like to have explosion on garde, or even a special varient of explosion.

Energy ball literally does NOTHING for you; at least in ou. There arn't any real threats that
other moves cannot do, and the damage done by a SE 90bp move is LESS than a stab pixilate hyper voice.
also if you want to hit m-slowbro use shadow ball. It also hits mgarde's (and ou's) biggest threat mmetagross for 63~73% vs hyper voice's 40%. Overall though mega gardevior is the ONLY pokemon im comfortable in running just one offensive move.
oh btw this is random bit i wonder what would it be like to have explosion on garde, or even a special varient of explosion.
I think explosion will be useful on steel types or what?

Energy ball literally does NOTHING for you; at least in ou. There arn't any real threats that other moves cannot do, and the damage done by a SE 90bp move is LESS than a stab pixilate hyper voice.
I thought it was worth noting that Shadow Ball is really only effective if you catch it on the switch or if you're Mega'd and Metagross isn't. Not saying that Shadow Ball doesn't have uses, but just wanted to emphasize that it does require finesse since if Mega Metagross is mega'd and is relatively healthy, you have to predict the switch and hit it with Shadow Ball or it basically comes in for free.

It has 85 base attack. Why would you use Explosion even if you could? We could theorymon what-ifs about a special variant of explosion, but these threads really aren't for theorizing new attacks or move pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)