Gavantula

HP Ice should still be in consideration because of Gliscor. Choosing Energy Ball or HP Ice is really a decision on who you want to stop you, Swampert or Gliscor.

the only thing i have to say about the electra ball agility combo is that using thunder twice would do more damage than having to set up on 1 turn and then use a maximum 150 bp Electra ball (if it works the same as gyro ball). Thunder's BP is 120 for camparison

Will this guy cut it in many OU teams? Not with those defences and such severe entry hazard weaknesses.

That's not to say he won't ever be used there though, as his coverage is superb and his STAB moves are two fantastic ones that aren't often seen together. I can really see him causing a great deal of head-trauma in UU teams through either being harassed with T-Wave/Disable or split in two with Thunder/Bug Buzz.

Since I love spiders (can you tell from my avatar?), I'm absolutely delighted that the new one this gen is actually usable, since Ariados is utterly pathetic in pretty much every way. I'm wondering if I can actually avoid the trouble of needing to beat Gliscor and Swampert with him, as Cloyster can probably do the job better for me (since that's going in my team anyway).

Will be paying very close attention to this thread to plan my set, though my love of pure offence means I'll definitely be using both Thunder and Bug Buzz. The other two moves I'm still unsure of. T-Wave or Volt Change, for one, Substitute or Disable are strong contenders for the other (not suggesting my set is the best, I have no competitive experience yet).

This is my favourite gen V pokemon (as seen on my ava :)). I love his typing, love his ability but most of all, I love his desing! <3 Seriously, if Ariados had a lil bit better stats I would use him on all of my teams.

This guy will surely be in my team on my 1st playthrough of the game, and I will most likely make him a permanent member of my team, when I finally get Wi-Fi to work (unless his matchups will be horrible).

Regarding sets, I like the Petaya Berry one but I could never get one in my Pearl vers, so I dunno if I could make it work in BW.

No talk about Agility + Electra Ball? Denchura is one of the 4 pokemon to abuse the combo of Agility + Electra ball, and he's probably the best at doing it.

Denchuraa @ Life Orb
-Agility
-Electra Ball
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power Ground

Switch in on something you can scare and set up an agility. You should be fast enough to start dealing noticeable amounts of damage to most pokemon with Electra Ball. Bug Buzz and Hidden Power Ground form your coverage moves.
Why HP Ground? I would go with Ice to cover the likes of Gliscor. But nice set, talking advanage of Electra Ball.

Maybe even add a choice scarf, so you wouldn't even need to use agility with electra ball...and it would certainly be able to use thunder on starmie (would be a fool to stay in though) before it attacks you... I really love this pokemon, one of the favorites.

I like this guy a lot. Tension has the potential to be friggin' awesome, and not just for disabling Lum berries. What about Salac, Petaya, etc?

Don't see this guy breaking through to OU, though--stats are kinda pathetic, and its movepool just isn't that varied, IMO.

Note that Thunder's accuracy still only has 91 Accuracy with Compoundeyes. Hax could really mess you up with that.

Other than a 91% accurate STAB Thunder this guy doesn't seem to have anything that will make him shine.

Still, 91 is better than 70, and you also get 30% paralysis. He also gets some nice coverage......a solid UU Pokemon at best, I suppose.

You could also go with Tension, though it wont get much use, compared to the Compound Eyes LO set

the only thing i have to say about the electra ball agility combo is that using thunder twice would do more damage than having to set up on 1 turn and then use a maximum 150 bp Electra ball (if it works the same as gyro ball). Thunder's BP is 120 for camparison
>Implying you only attack twice
Eleci Ball is a lot more reliable in conjunction with Eleci Ball and gives more KO's (where as otherwise, thunder would be a OHKO).

>Implying you only attack twice
Eleci Ball is a lot more reliable in conjunction with Eleci Ball and gives more KO's (where as otherwise, thunder would be a OHKO).
>Implying implications and Gary bombs
No seriously, Im not sure I'm following you. What do you mean Eleci Ball is a lot more reliable in conjunction with Eleci Ball?

If he has a use in OU, its probably with some combo of Volt Change and Spider Web:

Denchura @ Life Orb
Timid/Compoundeyes
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
- Volt Change
- Spider Web
- Energy Ball/HP Ice
- Thunder/Bug Buzz

Come in on anything and fire a Spider Web. Then you are free to Volt Change to a set-up pokemon and get a free turn to set up, provided that the trapped pokemon can be set up on/will switch out. If you net something with your spider web that you can't set up on, you can go to your counter. If you get a Ground-Type you can use your move in the third slot to deal with it if you can outspeed and kill it. LO allows you to always OHKO Garchomp with HP Ice and you already outspeed it, so its not much of a problem if you trap it. Last slot is mostly filler. This set can be used as a sudo-Wobbuffet. Yeah you can't Encore it, but you can essentially get one free DD or SD or whatever if you Spider Web a good target. This guy doesn't have the best stats for OU, but this set is viable on teams based around setting up a single sweeper.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
This does look like a good idea. Electric + Grass only misses out on other Grass types, which Denchura shits on with Bug Buzz.

Denchura@Petaya/Salac Berry
Timid; 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed

Thunder
Bug Buzz
Substitute
Energy Ball

Seems like one of the best sets, IMO. Sub protects it from status, damage, and eases prediction. It being SR weak will help it get into Petaya range (which is preferred to Salac Berry, since Thunder should be dishing out the paralysis). Bug Buzz devastates the likes of Tyranitar, Shaymin, Celebi, and other obstacles, and Energy Ball dismisses Swampert. Simple yet effective, it would probably work best late-game after having switched in once to scout/weaken its counters.
on this set i would go with swarm and t-bolt rather than compound eyes and thunder, since even a boosted thunder is only 91% acc and he is fast enough that he wont miss the paralysis chance that much.
He really could need the boosted power for bug buzz to aid its sweeping potential since a swarm boosted bug buzz got almost the same base power as thunder and will never miss.

And i think hidden power could deal with more threats than engery ball wich only hits swampert SE who already gets hit neutral with a boosted bug buzz wich should already deal a nice chunk of damage.
HP Fight would leave you only walled by Rotom and you get the SE hit on Magnezone and Doryuzu(steel/ground mole dunno if i wrote his name right) who other wise would wall you completely(and you hit blissey for se but i doubt that will be that useful).

I think he could be viable in OU but would really shine in UU Where his 98 base SpA hits harder and he isnt outrun/Speed tied with so many other pokes.

@hydrolphin why use spider web firt when you could just use Volt Change without wasting a turn where you could possibly get hit and therefore killed(70/60/60 defenses are too low to live through any neutral hit after SR damage) and your switch-in doesn't get damaged

Denchura @ Choice Scarf
Timid 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunder
-HP Ice
-(suggestions? Bug Buzz doesn't really hit anything noteworthy)
-Volt Change

I really want to try this set out. Denchura unfortunately doesn't have as much power as some other scarfers, but he can revenge a large amount of threats and also scout, so I think this set has some merit. At 108 base Spe, Denchura can outspeed a lot of notable pokemon with a Choice Scarf attatched, and deal fair amounts of damage to them.

Calcs:
Thunder vs Scarf Starmie: 140.5% - 165.6%
Thunder vs Gyarados: lol
Thunder vs Specially Defensive Skarmory: 95.2% - 112%
Thunder vs 4/0 Blaziken: 70.8% - 83.7% Guaranteed OHKO after SR and 2 LO recoils (Adamant Blaziken is outsped even after 2 speed boosts)
Thunder vs Scarf Kojondo: 88.9% - 105.2%
HP Ice vs ScarfChomp: 80.4% - 95%
HP Ice vs DDMence: 90.6% - 107.6%
HP Ice vs 0/0 Dragonite: 86.7% - 102.8%
HP Ice vs 0/4 Flygon: 99.7% - 118.3%
HP Ice vs 0/0 Ononokusu: 57.3% - 67.6%
HP Ice vs 0/0 Sazandora: 41.8% - 49.8%

Some of these numbers are a little disappointing, but what sells me on this set is it's ability to outspeed so many things right off the bat. Better to start firing off attacks once SR has done some damage, before that you can use volt change to scout around.

@hydrolphin why use spider web firt when you could just use Volt Change without wasting a turn where you could possibly get hit and therefore killed(70/60/60 defenses are too low to live through any neutral hit after SR damage) and your switch-in doesn't get damaged
So that way they can't switch out when you volt change. They could send in something like Heatran while you use Spider Web. Now their trapped while you can outspeed and Volt Change to a Garchomp or something. They switch out and you Swords Dance. It would be a useful partner for pokemon that have a hard time setting up, but are deadly once they do (Garchomp wasn't the greatest example, but you get the idea)

>Implying implications and Gary bombs
No seriously, Im not sure I'm following you. What do you mean Eleci Ball is a lot more reliable in conjunction with Eleci Ball?
My bad, I meant Eleci Ball with Agility. I'd thought you could have guessed that though, but still my mistake ^_^

Denchura does not learn zap Cannon??
It would have been much profit for it ( GF sux) .Without this move I do not see as it can compete in ou...sadly but true.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
So that way they can't switch out when you volt change. They could send in something like Heatran while you use Spider Web. Now their trapped while you can outspeed and Volt Change to a Garchomp or something. They switch out and you Swords Dance. It would be a useful partner for pokemon that have a hard time setting up, but are deadly once they do (Garchomp wasn't the greatest example, but you get the idea)
The way you wanna do it is this:
your up against something denchura forces out and your opponent sends in heatran you used spider web and heatran cant switch now you outspeed(provided it isnt scarfed wich isnt that usual on tran) and use volt change and switch in a counter that now takes a Fireblast/Earthpower or maybe it even gets a sub up for free wich means he can now choose the attack he throws at you counter.
You got your counter in but it got damaged wich is bad.

So how about this denchura is out against something it forces out and your opponent sends heatran in. you used volt change at the first turn and switch to a counter to heatran wich is send in without taking damage or giving heatran a chance to substitute wich is good because you gained momentum and are now have the upper hand.

Spider Web/Mean Look are pretty gimmicky moves because the thing you trap is often something that doesnt wants to switch, because it will beat your pokemon since it is lickly to be a counter to your pokemon if your enemy doesn't overpredict.

I was discussing him in light of a possible use in OU, but point taken. The reality is that he's just a little too frail for the higher tiers. And I must have read him wrong, I thought Denchura learned U-Turn. O wel.
Denchura doesn't need U-Turn, he has Volt Change which is essentially u-turn only with electric typing. why has no one noted this?
Nevermind.

This seems like an UU pokemon for sure but its one I would like to use in OU battles, it may be out classed but its typing and moves seem like it could definately prove useful. A quick thunderwave and volt change outta there, also im keen to use the elusive spider web move.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick note for the OP, Thunder isn't 100% accurate with compound eyes, it's .7*1.3 which is 91% accuracy, otherwise with butterfly dance I could see this pokemon becoming a real threat. The typing allows for the notable fighting/steel/electric resistances and a neutrality to ground. However, the weakness to rock is potentially off-putting, depending on the prevalence of stealth rock in the fifth gen.

Question about spider web, is it like mean look where unless you baton pass the mean look they can switch out if you switch out? For a spider web set to be effective do you have to have volt change to make sure your opponent cannot switch?

I dont understand why there are soo many ost about Dentura having butterfly dance... only butterfys's get butterfly dance lol its a spider! on the other hand it has some cool moves and a few great resiatances in its aresnal... i see it being BL to lower OU possibly just because of its great speed stat and great move pool.

This is by far one of the Cutest bug pokemon out there.. OMG a furry spider = <3

SparkySpider
Dentura @ Life Orb
Timid
EVS 252 SpA 252 Spe 4 HP
Agility/ Thunderwave
Bug Buzz
Electra Ball
Energy Ball/ HP [Ice]

This set all depends on how you want to dish out damage/status thunderwave becomes useless on ground counters. Energy Ball/ HP [Ice] deals with that. I would prefer energy ball for special defence drop hax because dragons are basically uber anyway flygon is a pest but doesnt bother me much. Running around with 692 Speed and electra ball is no joke! i'm sure even scarftran will get a pretty hard blow from it plus life orb would mean some serious damage and with some entry support a definete OHKO for many pokemon. Bug buzz for some additional stab and you ahve a pretty hard hitting spider... i woudl actually prefer it over jolteon becaus eit does not fear equake and so swampert has to think 2x before switching in on this set for fear of energy ball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)