Gen 6 ghost/darks

Status
Not open for further replies.
so according to the corocoro on serebii.net http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml steels have lost resistance to ghost and dark types. When i heard this the only thing i could think about was how nothing will be able to switch in on gengar safely anymore. Will we see a rise in tiers for a large number of ghost mons, or will ghost pokes be relatively the same tier as they were? (i personally think gengar will be going straight to ubers) Would luv to get some community feed back on this topic

This honestly sounds like it would just exacerbate many of the problems Gen 5 has brought to defensive playstyles. Specially Defensive Jirachi will be getting Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar, Umbreon beats Bronzong and Metagross one-on-one with Foul Play, and Specs Hydreigon 2HKOs almost every steel-type in the game just by spamming Dark Pulse. Steel's resistances to so many attacking types is one of the major factors in why the current metagame has managed to retain as much balance as it has, and if it starts losing these resistances, offense will just get closer and closer to becoming the only viable playstyle. Now, I doubt that this little change to the type chart will make stall unviable all by itself, but in combination with all the other stuff that's been announced for Gen 6 so far, it could end up being a serious problem.

As for Gengar getting banned, I doubt it would happen early in the XY meta since there will be other, newly-introduced ghost types all over the place in the weeks after the X and Y release. There's also the inevitable power creep, which has kept things that were borderline-banworthy in one generation, from being unmanageable in the next. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Gengar got an eventual suspect test, maybe a year or so from October.

...seriously though -

252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs
  • 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 159-187 (45.17 - 53.12%)
  • 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Steel: 178-210 (46.71 - 55.11%)
  • 252 HP / 0 SpD Dialga: 208-246 (51.48 - 60.89%)
  • 172 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 228-269 (70.37 - 83.02%)
  • 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 249-293 (72.59 - 85.42%)
  • 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 306-360 (75.74 - 89.1%) (!!)
  • 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: 314-369 (88.7 - 104.23%)

I don't foresee Dark being too troubling to deal with; it is still resisted by itself, Fighting, and Fairy. Ghost is another story but neither type has particularly powerful moves. Using bulky pokemon in general will probably be the best way to check both types.

This honestly sounds like it would just exacerbate many of the problems Gen 5 has brought to defensive playstyles. Specially Defensive Jirachi will be getting Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar, Umbreon beats Bronzong and Metagross one-on-one with Foul Play, and Specs Hydreigon 2HKOs almost every steel-type in the game just by spamming Dark Pulse. Steel's resistances to so many attacking types is one of the major factors in why the current metagame has managed to retain as much balance as it has, and if it starts losing these resistances, offense will just get closer and closer to becoming the only viable playstyle. Now, I doubt that this little change to the type chart will make stall unviable all by itself, but in combination with all the other stuff that's been announced for Gen 6 so far, it could end up being a serious problem.

As for Gengar getting banned, I doubt it would happen early in the XY meta since there will be other, newly-introduced ghost types all over the place in the weeks after the X and Y release. There's also the inevitable power creep, which has kept things that were borderline-banworthy in one generation, from being unmanageable in the next. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Gengar got an eventual suspect test, maybe a year or so from October.

...seriously though -

252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs
  • 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 159-187 (45.17 - 53.12%)
  • 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Steel: 178-210 (46.71 - 55.11%)
  • 252 HP / 0 SpD Dialga: 208-246 (51.48 - 60.89%)
  • 172 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 228-269 (70.37 - 83.02%)
  • 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 249-293 (72.59 - 85.42%)
  • 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 306-360 (75.74 - 89.1%) (!!)
  • 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: 314-369 (88.7 - 104.23%)
This actually occurred to me earlier today, but you beat me to the punch. I used to hate Hydreigon's Dark-typing, now it's going to truly make him the best wall-breaker in the game. Only Blissey and Chansey can safely switch in, Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse / Superpower(Focus Blast) / Filler is going to be insane coming off Specs.

Suddenly Scarf Gengar sounds a whole lot better. I'm still thinking the primer Ghost (and Steel) to be Honedge, depending of course on it's movepool (Hypnosis plz) and final stats. More Ghosts would mean lesser opportunities to remove hazards and with Shadow Sneak Starmie might lose his spot as best spinner. Heck even Forretress and Tentacruel aren't sure to get those spins anymore.

Kind of makes you wonder if we are gonna have that SR test after all. Gengar looks solidly, if not fantastically OU right now.

I really like the proposed balance changes. Steel getting nerfed and dark getting buffed is amazing. Dark is such an underpowered type right now that it really appreciates the ability to break steels without having to rely on inaccurate or stat lowering moves such as focus blast and superpower. If only dark didn't have such terrible weaknesses and below average offensive capabilities, we'd see more in OU besides just Ttar (and the barely viable Hydreigon). Although it's still hard to speculate about the future metagame since we don't know the stats and movepools of anything yet. It's looking to be more balanced than it is right now though with the new type chart.

I'm also really glad Jirachi's getting the shaft here lol.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This actually occurred to me earlier today, but you beat me to the punch. I used to hate Hydreigon's Dark-typing, now it's going to truly make him the best wall-breaker in the game. Only Blissey and Chansey can safely switch in, Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse / Superpower(Focus Blast) / Filler is going to be insane coming off Specs.
Fairy types are immune to Draco Meteor and resist Dark Pulse. Choiced Dark moves were usually a bad idea and will continue to be with Fairy-types around.

Currently, the only pokemon that resists Dark/Fairy is Mawile, not counting any potential fire-fairies. Ghost/Fairy is only resisted by Litleo, the Normal/Fire thing.

I really like the proposed balance changes. Steel getting nerfed and dark getting buffed is amazing. Dark is such an underpowered type right now that it really appreciates the ability to break steels without having to rely on inaccurate or stat lowering moves such as focus blast and superpower. If only dark didn't have such terrible weaknesses and below average offensive capabilities, we'd see more in OU besides just Ttar (and the barely viable Hydreigon). Although it's still hard to speculate about the future metagame since we don't know the stats and movepools of anything yet. It's looking to be more balanced than it is right now though with the new type chart.

I'm also really glad Jirachi's getting the shaft here lol.
Tbh, I really hate what they are doing to steel.

Fairy types are immune to Draco Meteor and resist Dark Pulse. Choiced Dark moves were usually a bad idea and will continue to be with Fairy-types around.
Great point actually. We won't know enough to say whether this makes Dark much better of an attacking type until we know what Fairy is weak to, and whether Hydreigon will be able to learn any of these moves to deter Fairies from switching into it.

Steel getting nerfed isnt a balance change. Its the biggest mess gamefreak could probably make with the chart. Steel types hold this game together by resisting almost everything and keeping powerhouses in check. By allowing the likes of tyranitar, gengar and hydreigon to power through their usual counters by using stab moves you create yet another offensive oriented game and yet less options for defensive teams. This future metagame doesnt sound much different than the current one and im really doubting i will be playing this competitively at this point.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think the people complaining about Steel should remind themselves that Fairy is one of the best defensive types in the game, and I think it keeps the offensive stuff in check. I mean, it resists Dark, Fighting, and Bug, and it's IMMUNE to Dragon. Fairy/Steel is amazing defensively, and shuts down just about every offensive type besides Fire, which is not the best type anyway due to rain.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I think the people complaining about Steel should remind themselves that Fairy is one of the best defensive types in the game, and I think it keeps the offensive stuff in check. I mean, it resists Dark, Fighting, and Bug, and it's IMMUNE to Dragon. Fairy/Steel is amazing defensively, and shuts down just about every offensive type besides Fire, which is not the best type anyway due to rain.
I'm going to love Mawile going from PU -> Ubers!

Steels were supposed to put Dragons down along with Ice, look how wonderful that turned out. Maybe it's time defensive players stop thinking in old gen ways, meaning one dedicated special wall to handle all SpA attackers and likewise with physical stuff and just resort to switching between them. You guys got Fairy, which scoffs at 4 of the best offensive types. Maybe you should try sharing resisting responsibilities between Steels and Fairy and use the now offensively viable Ghosts to spin block and keep hazards on field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)