Metagame Gen 8 1v1 Speculation, Suggestion, and Updates Thread

My opinion is that dynamax as a stat booster or even as an attacking move amplifier should not be banned. Yes, in comparison to other generations it is op. However, obviously the competition in gen 8 will be other dynamax, which is given for free. This is essentially a global power creep, and is such not inherently broken. The best abusers will be the best mons yes, but that's not necessarily bannable (if the best Earthquake abuser is the best mon, does that mean Earthquake is bannable?)

However, the Max Guard argument is a perfectly valid argument. The removal of viable use of status moves would be objectively detrimental, however we don't know the exact details of how this works.

Gen 8 will be a combination of gen 5 & pokemon safari
I was pro-dynamax until I saw gigamax charizard and its 4 turns of burning non-fire pokemon and its 100 base speed
The concept looks fun, just seems like it can get out of hand...plus im tired of charizard being meta

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I was pro-dynamax until I saw gigamax charizard and its 4 turns of burning non-fire pokemon and its 100 base speed
The concept looks fun, just seems like it can get out of hand...plus im tired of charizard being meta
I beg to differ: I think Gigantamax Charizard is going to be exceptionally mediocre. Remember, right now as far as we know Gmax forms don't provide stat boosts to their users, so it's stuck with its base stats and the same crappy abilities. 100 is still a good speed tier, but that is diminished somewhat by the very Fire-unfriendly meta it looks like will arise between Drampa, Haxorus, Rhyperior, Gigalith, Gyarados, Snorlax and Kommo-o and probably a whole lot more getting increased wiggle room or in Snorlax's case likely unbans due to losing broken Z-moves. Maybe it'll be good for certain teams to CTeam Sturdy users aside from Gigalith... ...wait nvm Avalugg and Sawk get Rock coverage, yeah big zard's fucked lol

• Love
Reactions: pqs
I beg to differ: I think Gigantamax Charizard is going to be exceptionally mediocre. Remember, right now as far as we know Gmax forms don't provide stat boosts to their users, so it's stuck with its base stats and the same crappy abilities. 100 is still a good speed tier, but that is diminished somewhat by the very Fire-unfriendly meta it looks like will arise between Drampa, Haxorus, Rhyperior, Gigalith, Gyarados, Snorlax and Kommo-o and probably a whole lot more getting increased wiggle room or in Snorlax's case likely unbans due to losing broken Z-moves. Maybe it'll be good for certain teams to CTeam Sturdy users aside from Gigalith... ...wait nvm Avalugg and Sawk get Rock coverage, yeah big zard's fucked lol
We dont know much about gen 8. Plus we dont even know what pokemon will be in the game, as long as it stays away from being meta im happy :P

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
EIhzgelXkAEQHlD.png

So this seems to be the confirmed first 400 Pokemon in the Galar regional dex. This is not the complete list, as we know Mew is confirmed, but its not there. However, I think we can still use this to determine who may be the metagame stars this new gen. I'm personally hyped for the return of

• Diggersby
  • Musharna
  • Mamoswine
  • Gengar
  • Gigalith
  • Araquanid
  • Sawk
  • Togekiss
  • Durant
  • Haxorus
  • Aegislash
  • Tyranitar
  • Hydreigon
What are yalls thoughts?

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
How about some Cloyster? Pulling the same strategy as a Crustle? Shell Smash, dynamax, then Ice Shard.
Cloyster doesn't have acess to sturdy, it also can't use its regular moveset when dynamaxed.

Also, Type Null is here oh shit oh fuck

View attachment 204002
So this seems to be the confirmed first 400 Pokemon in the Galar regional dex. This is not the complete list, as we know Mew is confirmed, but its not there. However, I think we can still use this to determine who may be the metagame stars this new gen. I'm personally hyped for the return of

• Diggersby
  • Musharna
  • Mamoswine
  • Gengar
  • Gigalith
  • Araquanid
  • Sawk
  • Togekiss
  • Durant
  • Haxorus
  • Aegislash
  • Tyranitar
  • Hydreigon
What are yalls thoughts?
No new eeveelution?! When is gen 9?

Last edited:

D2TheW

Amadán
Interesting that Dnite still isn't confirmed so none of this gens s tiers will be available (unless Galarian Dnite is a thing which I think it will be). We don't know much about the stats yet but if it does what SM did, making very few fast mons, speed will be a really valuable trait. Mega Lop, Mega Zam, Zera, Gren and Deo S are all apparently gone so they might not need to be that fast to be very strong. The fastest mons shown are Ninjask, Accelgor and Jolteon and while Jolts could be decent, the two bugs will need some mad buffs to be relevant (give Accelgor nasty plot already damn).

Tl: Dr Scarf Togekiss gonna be good

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Interesting that Dnite still isn't confirmed so none of this gens s tiers will be available (unless Galarian Dnite is a thing which I think it will be). We don't know much about the stats yet but if it does what SM did, making very few fast mons, speed will be a really valuable trait. Mega Lop, Mega Zam, Zera, Gren and Deo S are all apparently gone so they might not need to be that fast to be very strong. The fastest mons shown are Ninjask, Accelgor and Jolteon and while Jolts could be decent, the two bugs will need some mad buffs to be relevant (give Accelgor nasty plot already damn).

Tl: Dr Scarf Togekiss gonna be good
About Scarf Togekiss, it kinda just depends wheter Dynamaxing is banned or not, if so I agree it will be a predominent threat, if not, it's really bad since Dynamaxed Pokemon can't flinch.

So like in TDA's post I'm going to be using the new pokedex but this time we're looking at how drastically the meta is going to change
I put the new pokemon returning that were of some use in gen 7 into three categories
Mew
Tyranitar
Sableye
Rhyperior
Togekiss
Sawk
Whimsicott
Crustle
Ferrothorn
Haxorus
Aegislash
Avalugg
Type Null
Togedamaru
I think these Pokemon will be fine and retain their same playstyle in gen 8, most of them don't rely too heavily on their Z-Moves or don't use them at all
Charizard
Gengar
Gyara
Gardevoir
Manectric
Lucario
Abamasnow
Gallade
Very self-explanatory, I didn't put Sableye or Tyranitar in here because they were good back in gen 5 and we can guess that they would revert back to those sets, I'm sure gyara can rebound along with maybe Gengar and Gardevoir but it's not looking too hot for the rest of these

Clefable
Quagsire
Snorlax
Weavile
Rotom-Forms
Excadril
Durant
Mimikyu
Kommo-o
These pokemon are coming back but either all or a majority of their sets rely on a Z move to function and therefore they will either be greatly nerfed or unusable (looking at you Rotom-Forms)

So that leaves 14 unchanged or slightly changed Pokemon from this gen. Gen 7 added 13 Pokemon B- or above, most of them legendary or Ultra Beasts. We can probably assume there will be at least a few mythicals tacked on at the end of the dex, let's say 3, and if they're all viable and let's say 5 mons from gen 8 are (generous with the exclusion of all of the ultra beasts in gen 7), that's 22 Pokemon we can assume will be viable which means this, gigantamax and dynamax pokemon might be the only option for a strong, diverse metagame. The community is going to have to choose if they want a very powerful, hyper offensive meta or a bulky, stall/gimmick-based one. I for one prefer the former

dom

Banned deucer.
an inevitability: gigamax/gigantamax will be broken, centralizing, unhealthy, toxic, whatever buzzwords you wanna use, but since the dex cut removes an insane of good mons and power creep, the obviously dumb mechanic will stay because god forbid 8 generations of power creep ends/is reduced at some point. idk what the plan for 1v1 in the future is maybe like 2 more gens down the line when it comes to power creep but i doubt it will be pretty, lol.

i really want the gen to be good/balanced tho i dont want it to suck but it seems like it will to me, not to mention my fav mons being removed :<

edit: not to mention the almost paradox that we don't wanna ban a mechanic preemptively and want people to really understand the mechanic and its effect on the metagame before voting, but we also don't want the broken thing to stay in the metagame too long so where people get used to it, even if it is banworthy. i think people really need to take the first month of the meta as just the first month, and not something the meta should look like a year or two down the line.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Aight, so remember that Eiscue guy? The weird-looking penguin with the ice block head? Well apparently its ability is Disguise for physical moves but it can rejuvenate if Hail is up, and considering it's an Ice type it will likely learn that naturally.

That sounds, uhhh... That sounds kinda really good.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Aight, so remember that Eiscue guy? The weird-looking penguin with the ice block head? Well apparently its ability is Disguise for physical moves but it can rejuvenate if Hail is up, and considering it's an Ice type it will likely learn that naturally.

That sounds, uhhh... That sounds kinda really good.
Ready the banhammer

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
If you guys weren't aware, more extra mons got datamined recently outside of the Galar Dex, 35 of them to be specific.

One of them is Kyurem-Black, who now gets Icicle Spear and Dragon Dance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)