Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

Hey guys, first time poster here. I’ve been diving into the battle frontier recently and have not been having great success. I’ve read many of the earlier posts in here (from around 2019-20) and have seen that many others are on ridiculous streaks of hundreds of victories, and I’m struggling to assemble a team to reach even close to that level of success. I don’t want to simply copy other successful teams. I’ve pretty
much just stayed in the battle tower so far, and usually I wash out before I even fight the Salon Leader the first time. I’ve reached her at 34 wins twice, and been defeated both times. I’ll post my team and their stats, if it’s not too much trouble, would anybody be willing to critique the team or point out obvious weaknesses? Thanks in advance.

1. Dragonite-Lonely 220ATK/100SPATK/100SPD/88HP
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Brick Break

2. Milotic-Bold
252HP/252DEF/4SPATK
Surf
Ice Beam
Toxic
Recover

3. Alakazam-Modest
252SPATK/220SPD/36HP
Psychic
Calm Mind
Recover
Thunderpunch

I feel that out of these 3, Milotic is by and far the best Pokémon on the list. Tanks everything thrown at it with no issues outside of STAB electric attacks, and I can use toxic and just wait out the opponent in most matchups. Dragonite does a lot of work for me but he feels very fragile. If I can get them off, 2 dragon dances is usually enough for me to sweep the enemy team with him alone, but when that doesn’t happen I find he gets destroyed by any enemy with access to an ice attack (which happens way too frequently for my liking). I don’t know if it’s bad luck, or if the AI recognizes the giant weakness to ice, but I swear the majority of teams I face in the tower have an ice move. As for Alakazam, he has similar issues with being a glass cannon. Calm mind lets me eat more special attacks than I’d usually be able to, but setting it up reliably without getting KO’d by anything physical is a struggle. When he gets going, he absolutely decimates the opposition, however. I want to eventually teach Alakazam Fire Punch, but at the moment I do not have enough BP to do so. If its not obvious, I’m relatively inexperienced with optimizing Pokémon builds and with understanding the meta-game for the Battle Frontier. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again!

Edit: I read some very recent posts and it seems that there’s a discord for this kind of thing? May I get an invite link if possible?
Just going to add a few thoughts on this team and while Dragonite and Milotic make a decent combination, you're using a PvP set with a bad nature where you are not even taking advantage of the "mixed" stats. If you're using Dragonite, even if it is for Open Level, I would recommend you to use Salamence instead. Dragonite on this generation is inferior to Salamence on almost every way: Salamence outclasses it with a higher Speed, a better ability on Intimidate and Salamence slightly edges it on physical damage. All Dragonite has over Salamence is a higher Special Defense which barely makes a difference since both have a x4 weakness to Ice anyways.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Dragon Dance Salamence because it is too hard pressed to get chances to sweep and unless you build a team around maximizing its chances of using DD, it's a mediocre mon as a standalone sweeper (you'll learn that most DD users are not really that good with the exception of Gyarados due to having a better typing). If you cannot RNG abuse for a base power 70 HP Flying, I would advice you to run a Choice Band set: Not only it allows you to run an extra coverage move that can be useful (Brick Break for Snorlax/Umbreon) but also it lets you use Aerial Ace viably which can be an asset against Double Team spammers now that you are not wasting a turn to set up anymore. You could probably use Dragonite on the same role but Salamence's Intimidate and higher Speed just makes it a more better choice since it sits at an extremely valuable Speed tier where you can speed tie with other Pokemon such as Charizard, Typhlosion and opposing Salamence.

Alakazam is the weakest link on this team and you're just wasting its potential as a "bulky CM" sweeper. Even as a glass cannon, Alakazam's biggest flaw as a special attacker is that it cannot kill what it cannot hit super-effectively and there's plenty of Pokemon on that category that can pretty much take Psychic + Tripunch coverage (think: Armaldo, Houndoom, Snorlax, Regice, Blissey). Even if you are considering to use Alakazam as a special attacker instead, it's not a good idea since your teammates do not provide any good defensive synergy between them. Who cover's Alakazam's weakness to Ghost or Dark? If you think Milotic is "bulky" enough, take into account that switching into neutral attacks is never a good idea as Milotic can lose against Pokemon like Houndoom with some luck since moves like Crunch have a 20% chance to lower Special Defense.

This is where I would suggest to run a Steel type. You're pretty much running an extremely basic core of Dragon + Water so what is exactly the point of using Alakazam for "creativity's" sake when you are not really improving your odds of winning? Creativity is only good when you're using it to maximize your chances on an efficient way, not just for the sake of being different. While it is hard to think of using Metagross outside the use of Choice Band, since Salamence will be running that item and since I am assuming you want to complete this challenge on Open Level, I would suggest using an Agility set: Agility fixes one of Metagross' most crippling issues which is its average Speed and after an Agility boost, you are out-speeding a good portion of threats and Arcanine cannot do shit because Clear Body blocks Intimidate. Metagross also contributes much more to the team in synergy as you gain another Ice switch-in, which puts less stress on your team in case that one of your switch-ins gets frozen on the act while giving you a Pokemon that deals much better with Lati@s.

I would recommend Explosion as one of the coverage moves because it lets you beat Curse Snorlax which is a Pokemon that Toxic Milotic will always fail to beat because some sets run Rest (including the Salon Maiden's set). Shadow Ball is an option but I think Explosion is the better move overall since it can save you on a pinch.

The only problem this team would have is the vulnerability to fast Electric types like Jolteon who can pretty much hax its way through the team but if the goal is just to hit Gold, the team I suggested you is fast enough to grind wins and within a couple of attempts, you should comfortably hit Gold and you got defense mechanisms to combat some of the "haxxy" stuff in Gen 3 (Aerial Ace for evasion, Explosion for Curse)

Salamence @ Choice Band
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA
Ability: Marvel Scale
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Toxic
- Recover
- Icy Wind / Ice Beam

Metagross @ Lum Berry
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Shadow Ball
- Meteor Mash

Last edited:
Wow, incredible read, thank you for taking the time to write it up. As someone who’s never dabbled in IVs before, this has made it 1000x easier for me to know what to look for and to begin breeding Pokémon without confusion.

In regards to your final note, I assume that means that defense and HP IVs are not passed down in the same way that the other stat IVs are in emerald. Is there no way to reliably get a parents HP or DEF IV to pass down at all, even in the other gen 3 games? I have copies of all the other games if by chance the IVs work differently in them.

On another note, I’m seriously blown away by how much depth there is to these games, especially when it comes to optimizing a Pokémon. I’ve been playing these games for about 15 years now, and the whole competitive side of them has been completely unknown to me until very recently. Part of that is rough though, because I look at the Pokémon that I’ve always used and realize now that they’re kind of crap! I feel I’ve learned more over the last few weeks than I have the entire rest of my time playing haha.
Reminder that you can obtain flawless stats with RNG abuse and we have a small subsection with some RNG tools and guides on this very same thread! While you can casually beat the Frontier with decent or average IVs, the rewards for learning RNG are far more greater because you will be able to get flawless Pokemon and eventually aim for higher streaks not only on this generation but also for any more recent Pokemon game! You just need to take some time to read the guides and have the determination to go through it!
:blobthumbsup:

Wildcat Formation

flexibly adaptable to the situation
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello, Battle Factory enthusiast Wildcat here. I'm here to announce a streak I never thought was realistically possible: 119 wins in the Lv. 50 Battle Factory.

Screenshot 2022-02-26 194831.png

This was done on emulator, but to prove the legitimacy of the run, I streamed the last 8 rounds on the Battle Facilities Discord, so multiple people got to watch me play live and seemingly not lose until the very end. I wished I recorded the beginning part of the run since I do record my runs sometimes, but I do remember most of what happened in the beginning parts, at least the important stuff. In this essay I will go into detail my journey through this unpredictable facility. I did write a guide to the Emerald Factory here but it mostly pertains to Open Level instead of Lv. 50.

So in the end of the guide I wrote a year ago, I was on a streak of 56 wins in the Lv. 50 Factory. I started writing the guide like in November 2020, only playing Open Level, so Lv. 50 Factory at that time was a new experience to me. In that run, the streak ended at 72 wins which was a new record for me. Looking back, it was tough losing in Battle 73 because I heavily misplayed in that battle.

115 VS. 44
In my starting draft I had Articuno2 before swapping for Suicune1. I was forced to pick Machamp1 as it was the only usable physical attacker, and I didn't see a better one before this battle. After acquiring Suicune, I got arrogant and overestimated Suicune's abilities. Something I didn't know about Suicune1 at that time was that it is fully offensive compared to Suicune6. The battle started with Suicune lead vs. Egg lead. I decided to cheese and chose Double Team over Calm Mind. Egg went for Giga Drain and it did a lot. I was forced to Rest and use up my Chesto, but it hit Giga Drain again. I went into Latias and it used Psychic, revealing Egg4. I know Egg4 has Explosion, so I tried to bait it out. Unfortunately I got it wrong and lost Latias instead of Suicune. All I had left was a under half health Suicune who hasn't used up a sleep turn and Machamp1.

Second mon was Shiftry. This was a surprise to me because the quote before the battle did not mention a specialization of Grass-types, meaning their last had to be a Psychic or Dark. It went for Fake Out and I assumed it was Shiftry1. Shiftry1 isn't that strong so Machamp can take it out without taking much damage. It instead went for Mega Kick revealing Shiftry4. This would've been fine, but I ended up missing Cross Chop twice, allowing Shiftry to 3HKO me with Mega Kick. Suicune easily fell to Shiftry afterwards.

This happened back in February 2021. During those months I continued to play Factory on and off, but failed to come even come close to that record...until February 2022. I do feel like I'm better at the Factory over those months; I now use the damage calculator when I didn't initially and pay closer attention to the scientist's quotes, though they're only truly useful in no man's land. Before this streak, I reached at least Round 6 Lv. 50 in my 3 previous runs, losing in Rounds 6, 8, and 7. So basically in this run I was trying to get to Round 6 as quickly as possible before slowing down and using proper tools like the damage calc and spreadsheet.

There are 3 goals I pursue when playing the Factory. The first one is obviously beating my personal records of 72 wins/38 swaps in Lv. 50 and 63 wins/33 swaps in Open Level. The second is what I like to call the DOUBLE GOD RUN which is getting a 42-win streak back-to-back, alternating between Lv. 50 and Open Level. I've gotten 35/35 3 times but always end up losing in Round 6 Lv. 50. My ultimate and supposedly unrealistic goal is the GOD RUN, 100+ straight wins in the Factory, a feat I still can't believe happened. Let's begin.

[ :plusle:1], [:ariados:1], [:marshtomp:1]

Like I said earlier, I don't remember every single detail of this run, particularly the unimportant parts of the early rounds, but I do remember that I swapped after every battle and ended with Plusle1, Ariados1, and Marshtomp1.

[:pidgeot:1], [ :poliwrath:1], []

Again, don't remember too much from this round, but I kept Pidgeot1 the entire round. I ended up swapping one of my other 2 mons after every battle, and I do remember having Poliwrath1 by battle 14. Had a mini-scare in the last battle as Persian1 was able to take out Poliwrath and my other Pokemon thanks to Swagger shenanigans, but Pidgeot was able to clean up.

[:stantler:2:furret:2], [:sealeo:2], [:sandslash:2]

This time I actually remember all the mons, mostly because it was the 3rd straight time I used Sandslash2 this round, and I never forget using Furret2. Had Stantler2 initially; definitely one of the better mons in this round with its invested Frustration, Intimidate, and Thunder Wave + Confuse Ray vs. mons it can't directly beat. Still swapped it out for Furret because Furret gives the team an out vs potential dangerous defensive mons like Cloyster2 thanks to Trick. I did have a run-in with the scariest Pokemon in this round, Scyther2. It Double Teamed in front of Furret, but fortunately Furret hit and was able to OHKO it with Frustration. I don't remember what Pokemon Noland used against me, but Furret took out the first mon, got a good hit on the second one before going down, then Sealeo2 finished it off.

[:venusaur:2], [:tauros:1], [:vaporeon:1]

My elevation in this round was Venusaur2. Not the best mon out there, but it does have Leech Seed. Tauros1 and Vaporeon1 are two of the better mons in this round, so I felt it was fine to bring Veunsaur. In the past I would be tempted to make greedy swaps, but my philosophy in the Factory has changed: focus on winning and don't take the good mons for granted. I didn't see anything better so I didn't swap in this round. This round took longer than normal because I ran into Walrein1 three times; I opted to take it out last every time and Roared it out with Vaporeon. Just had to sit and PP stall vs Walrein so Venusaur can safely come in and Leech Seed it.

[:ludicolo:2 :tauros:2], [:machamp:2], [:starmie:3]

My sole elevation here was none other than Starmie3, or who I like to call GODStarmie. There's few Pokemon in the Factory better than GODStarmie. However, I have lost before in this round with Starmie3 as an elevation, so I wasn't going to get cocky. The AI is now playing optimally from here on out, so I have to be on point with my plays. Had another good Water with Ludicolo2, and rounded out the team with Machamp2 just in case I run into Blissey or Snorlax. Round was smooth; anything Ludicolo failed to 1v1, Starmie did, and I probably only used Machamp once. Made a flex swap for Tauros2 which is one of my favorite Factory mons just to say I had Tauros2 and Starmie3 on the same team. In battle 35, however, I made some big misplays that almost costed me. It was Starmie vs Manectric2, and I was away from the calculator. I was confident Surf OHKOed, but I didn't want to risk it. I went into Machamp only to get 2HKOed by Thunder. Then I went into Tauros to get cleanly OHKOed by Thunder. I sacked Machamp and Tauros for no reason. Fortunately, my hunch was right and Surf did OHKO Manectric, so GODStarmie bailed me out there.

[:milotic:3:swampert:3], [:dusclops:4], [:starmie:3]

In an incredible stroke of luck, I got GODStarmie in my initial draft again. They also gave me another good Water in Milotic3. Outside of those 2, my draft wasn't impressive, but I did get Dusclops4 as an elevation which was interesting. It's a Pokemon I never used before, but it uses the Ghost version of Curse. Decided to use it as it gave me an out vs Ludicolo3, a Pokemon that I commonly lose against. Mid-round I swapped Milotic for Swampert3 to improve my matchup vs a possible Lanturn3. While I didn't run into Ludicolo, I did run into other fat mons where Dusclops' Curse was useful like Dewgong3 and Shuckle3. Noland in fact had both. I faced Dewgong3 twice, and both times I needed Dusclops to dodge 2 Sheer Colds. After that, I went into Milotic/Swampert on the last one to ensure Dusclops can wall it afterwards and beat it with Curse. This strategy worked better than expected; the combo of Milotic/Swampert + Dusclops was so good that GODStarmie didn't enter the battle in this round!

[:jolteon:4 :golduck:4 :whiscash:4], [:altaria:4:weezing:4], [:donphan:4]

Not the most amazing Pokemon, but at least they were all set 4s, so the majority of them are usable. Went with Jolteon4 Altaria4 Donphan4 and swapped out Altaria4 for Weezing4 after the first battle. Weezing4 is one of my personal faves, and it gave me a better answer to Ludicolo4 than Altaria. I didn't want to do this, but in like battle 53 I had to battle a trainer that specialized in Ground-types. Jolteon4 was the best member of my team, but of course it's a liability vs Ground-types. Since my other two weren't the absolute best-of-the-best Pokemon, I wasn't confident to keep Jolteon, plus in the previous battle I ran into 2 Water-types. It was a choice between Slowking4 and Golduck4, and I surprisingly went with Golduck4 for the extra speed vs potential Rhydon/Golem/Steelix/Marowak. This turned out to be a semi-mistake as I found out Golduck4, while it has good enough moves, is max Atk instead of max SpA. I swapped out Golduck for Whiscash4 before battle 49. Battle 49 was kinda interesting because the trainer specialized in Rock-types, and I ran into CB Armaldo on lead. Whiscash does not OHKO with Surf, so I wondered if it was better to sack Weezing or Donphan instead. A Weezing sack made the most sense until I thought of the possiblity of running into Cradily, so all of my Pokemon had a use vs the Rock-types. Fortunately I had a good roll vs Armaldo and took it out without losing Whiscash, making the battle much easier.

[:regice:1], [:slowking:2 :golduck:2], [:armaldo:4 :marowak:]

Last time I was in this round, I got put down by Regice1 from the first trainer on lead. I wish I remembered the full details of this round, but I didn't have any trouble here as I got HARD carried by Regice1 here. So to anyone who don't know, Rounds 8-9 can be tricky because you will get Pokemon with random IVs due to a coding error. With only 25 swaps going in, I only had 2 elevations, and those 2 elevations will have completely random IVs. One of those elevations I got was Metagross6, but it had 0 IVs in Attack! Went with Regice1 Slowking2 Armaldo4, all perfect IVs. I was rather conscious on how slow the team was, so I really wanted a faster Water out of anything. I ran into a Golduck, found out it was Golduck2, and took it for the extra speed against Rhydon/Golem/Steelix/Marowak, This turned out to be a good idea as I did run into Marowak. Then I swapped Armaldo for it. Don't remember which Marowak it was because sets 2, 3, and 4 are far too similar. Swapped Golduck out for a better Water, and swapped Marowak out for a better physical attacker, but I don't remember who they were. Regice1 did 90+% of the work so yeah, my memory here is foggy, but not from here on out.

[:metagross:2], [:flygon:1:espeon:1 :flygon:4], [:snorlax:5]

It was good that I swapped a decent amount in Round 8 because now I have enough elevations to where it's half perfect IVs and half random. Had a strong draft as 2 of my perfect IV Pokemon were Metagross2 and Snorlax5. Flygon1 was a good partner for Metagross, but Flygon1 was random IVs and has only one useful move. Picked it anyways and went rolling. Metagross and Flygon did their thing in the first half of the round, needing no help from Snorlax. In battle 59, I ran into Espeon. Espeon is one of the best mons in the Factory, and considering I had 2 of the best Espeon counters on my team already, it was tempting to get. Since my Flygon was random IVs, I decided to make the swap. This turned to be a terrible swap and almost ended the entire run. Here's where it almost ended:

215 VS.46

I don't remember the first Pokemon they had, but Metagross was able to 1v1 with a little over 50% HP left. The second Pokemon turned out to be Flygon, the Pokemon I swapped out 2 battles ago. This was a problem because Espeon turned out to be Espeon1, so if the Flygon was Flygon1, Espeon will get 2HKOed before it can 2HKO Flygon. This meant that I had to go Snorlax after Metagross went down to take out Flygon. I was away from the calculator and didn't want to risk Mega Kick, so I opted for Counter on Snorlax. Unfortunately, Flygon lived the Counter meaning Snorlax had to tank 2 Earthquakes. So I had a ~50% Snorlax5 and a 3IV Espeon1 left vs their last. Their last turned out to be REGISTEEL. And at that point I thought I lost since Snorlax was pretty low and Espeon cannot touch Registeel. Luckily, it only went for Aerial Ace on Snorlax, and I crit it on the second Brick Break. Since it only went for Aerial Ace, it was likely that it was Registeel6. Now Registeel6 does have Superpower, but the optimal AI avoids using moves like Superpower and Overheat if it isn't in possible KO range, so in general I was VERY lucky here as a better Registeel set likely won.

After escaping that battle, I learned the error of my ways and took Flygon back. This time it was Flygon4, so I guess it worked out in the end. With essentially my original 3, I take on Noland for the third time. Noland had some rather bad mons this time around: Hypno1, then Mr. Mime1. His last was his anime ace Articuno3, but Metagross took out all 3.

[:regice:3], [:moltres:2], [:snorlax:4]

Smooth sailin. Another strong draft and felt no need to swap. There was one battle that tempted me to swap because I had to battle a trainer that specialized in Fighting Pokemon, so it could've been risky to put all the weight on handling those Pokemon on Moltres. I decided against it not only because it could compromise the strength and synergy of the team, but also I was confident that Regice and/or Snorlax can tank a Cross Chop and retaliate if need be thanks to the perfect IVs. This turned out to be the case as Regice tanked a Cross Chop from a Hariyama to 1v1 it, then Moltres took out Heracross. Rather comfortable round.

So from here I announced on the Battle Facilities Discord that I had 70 wins, and they recommended for me to stream the rest of the run. Also from here on out I did jot down every Pokemon I had in my initial draft. In this round, Actaeon was in call with me to help with calcs and throw out ideas on Pokemon and move choices. This was probably my favorite round in this run.

Hehe...so before this round I honestly had solid drafts all throughout. This time they gave me 3 set 1s and Clefable which is rather poor. The real concern was the quote I got before the first battle: the trainer specialized in PSYCHIC, and their style was "free-spirited and unrestrained." This is one of the scariest type/style combinations you can get in the Factory due to the threat level of many Psychic Pokemon: Latis, Metagross, Espeon, Gardevoir3/4, Alakazam4, GODStarmie, and to a lesser degree the Slowtwins3/4. So my choices had to account for those worst-case scenarios. Muk1, while suboptimal, is quite strong and I likely would've brought it if the first trainer didn't specialize in Psychic. Clefable2 is beyond terrible; so is Ampharos1. Electabuzz1 isn't good either, but it at least can Thunder Wave in a bad matchup, and I have the Gyarados3 pivot vs. Earthquake. Those 2 together were ok with Electabuzz as a lead. By process of elimination, I'm forced to choose Feraligatr3 as a last. The Electric weakness is bad, but given the circumstances of my draft, I had to take the risk. Electabuzz lead gave me the best chance to defeat the worst-case scenario Latios1 lead.

[:electabuzz:1 :suicune:2], [:gyarados:3], [:feraligatr:3 :metagross:4]

With a much weaker draft than previous rounds, I chose Electabuzz1, Gyarados3, and Feraligatr3 going into the first battle that specialized in Psychic and has an unrestrained style. Here's what happened:

VS. 844
As you can see, my opponent had quite the team. They led Gardevoir which was a tough lead to deal with. I'm going to go through this battle turn-by-turn as every turn was critical.

Turn 1: Gardevoir has 8 sets so I have to choose the best move that gets the most out of any of the sets. I always try to account for the worst-case scenario which would be Gardevoir3/4. Gardevoir2/5/7 is slower than Electabuzz1. Gardevoir1 is the only one that lacks Psychic. Gardevoir3/4/8 is max SpA Modest and can 2HKO Electabuzz with Psychic. Gardevoir6 is faster but is 0 SpA, so it does not 2HKO with Psychic. With this beforehand knowledge, there is a good chance I will know which Gardevoir it will be after the first turn. After much discussion with Actaeon, I decided that Light Screen was the best overall turn 1 move because if it turns out to be Gardevoir3/4, then thanks to Light Screen I can live a second Psychic and get chip on it before going down instead of not getting Light Screen up, getting chip, but going down and sending my second mon out without the screen.

Foe GARDEVOIR used DOUBLE TEAM! Foe GARDEVOIR's evasiveness rose!
ELECTABUZZ used LIGHT SCREEN! Ally's LIGHT SCREEN raised SP. DEF!

Turn 2:
When I saw Double Team, I immediately thought it was Gardevoir2, but Garde went first. After reviewing the spreadsheet it confirmed that it was Gardevoir8 instead. Gardevoir8 is Brightpowder, not Lum, so the move here was to Thunder Wave not only to ensure that my whole team can outspeed it, but to potentially get free turns and limit it from getting too many Double Teams.

ELECTABUZZ used THUNDER WAVE! ELECTABUZZ's attack missed!

Turn 3:
Just trying to hit a move.

ELECTABUZZ used THUNDER WAVE! Foe GARDEVOIR is paralyzed! It may not move! Foe GARDEVOIR's SYNCHRONIZE paralyzed ELECTABUZZ! It may not move! ELECTABUZZ's CHERI BERRY cured itself from paralysis!

Turn 4: Cheri Berry in the clutch. Now I just need to hit. One Thunderbolt ensured that either Gyara or Gatr took Garde out with Earthquake.

ELECTABUZZ used THUNDERBOLT! ELCTABUZZ's attack missed!
Foe GARDEVOIR used PSYCHIC!
Psychic is a 4HKO to Electabuzz under Light Screen.

Turn 5:
Let's hit a move.

ELECTABUZZ used THUNDERBOLT! ELCTABUZZ's attack missed!
Foe GARDEVOIR used PSYCHIC! Ally's LIGHT SCREEN wears off!

Turn 6:
I set up Light Screen again.

Foe GARDEVOIR used PSYCHIC! A critical hit! ELECTABUZZ fainted!

Turn 7:
I didn't get a hit in which was unfortunate. I send out Gyarados next since Feraligatr had better 1v1 potential in a do-or-die situation due to a less exploitable weakness. Earthquake is an easy 2HKO.

GYARADOS used EARTHQUAKE! It hit.
Foe GARDEVOIR is paralyzed! It cannot move!

Turn 8: One more. Full para was huge.

GYARADOS used EARTHQUAKE! GYARADOS's attack missed!
Foe GARDEVOIR is paralyzed! It cannot move!

Turn 9:
The T-Wave is finally showing its worth.

GYARADOS used EARTHQUAKE! Foe GARDEVOIR fainted!

Absolutely huge that I was able to hit 2/3 Earthquakes under +3 evasion and Brightpowder. Not only that, Gyarados didn't even take any damage. I was fine with how the the battle was going until the second mon came out...

Foe sent out ZAPDOS!

Turn 10:
Uhh...when I saw this Pokemon, I thought it was over. They actually had the Electric-type and there's still one more broken Psychic in the back. Fortunately, I still have one turn of Light Screen left, so I was confident Gyarados can live one. It's obviously going for Thunderbolt here. Since Garde was Brightpowder, Zapdos cannot be Zap2 which has Thunder instead. Under Light Screen, Zapdos1/4 OHKOs Gyara 37.5% of the time, but if it's Zap3, Gyara always lives. At this point of course I have to hope I get the roll in my favor to live. So what's the best play? After some discussion, I felt like there were 2 options:

1) Rain Dance, hope Gatr lives Tbolt out of Screens, OHKO Zap with Torrent boosted Pump under rain, then hopefully beat the third by outspeeding and OHKOing with Torrent Pump under rain. This requires hitting Pumps, getting a VERY lucky roll to live Tbolt, and hoping that I run into a mon that gets OHKOed by Torrent Pump under rain.

2) Hit a Thunder and get the full para. Getting the full para ensures that after the extra Surf damage Gyara gets, Gatr can easily revenge with Rock Slide, then take on the third with its HP fully intact. This requires hitting a Thunder in the first place, getting the 30% para, and banking that it's not Zapdos1 who is Lum.

Decided on option 2. Thunder miss is all but guaranteed L. Hit and no para or a Zap1 reveal still has slim but near impossible chance. Get the para though, and our chances are pretty solid.

Foe ZAPDOS used THUNDERBOLT! It's super effective! Gyarados barely lived.
GYARADOS used THUNDER! Foe ZAPDOS is paralyzed! It may not be able to move!

I actually got the Thunder full para! And it wasn't Zapdos1! Thanks to the full para, Gyara now gets some chip with Surf to where Gatr revenged with Rock Slide. When Gyara went down, Shell Bell was revealed on Zapdos, confirming Zapdos4. The last mon turned out to be Metagross. Gatr Earthquake was an easy 2HKO. It went for Psychic against me. Only 2 Metagross sets run Psychic, and one of them has the Brightpowder as an item. Since Garde had Brightpowder, it confirmed that Metagross had to be Metagross4 as the AI follows item clause. We escaped and won Battle 71!

After that battle, I had a decision to pick either Zapdos4 or Metagross4. I decided to swap Gatr out for Metagross as I liked the synergy of Electabuzz + Gyarados and was impressed by Electabuzz1's T-Wave + Light Screen utility. A couple of battles later I ran into Suicune2, a mon that's always scary to face. Electabuzz was still around and took it out before it got out of hand. I value Suicune2 very highly; the combination of Protect + Leftovers + Pressure + Toxic is outright unfair at times and has the ability to win matchups it shouldn't be winning against. Took the risk and sacrificed synergy to swap Electabuzz for Suicune. Suicune2 lead is useful for scouting as well, making it easier to make the correct play. Along with Gyara's Intimidate + Ground immunity and overall strength level of Metagross, I was able to surpass my own personal streak of 72 wins and emerge victorious in Round 11.

The mons in this draft bar Golem2 aren't bad at all, but the concerning part, just like in Battle 71, was the scientist quote I got before the draft. This time, the trainer specialized in DRAGON having a "high risk, high reward" style. There's not many Dragons in the game, and as I said before, you gotta account for the worst-case scenario. The worst-case like before is Latios1/Latias1. Gengar2, while physcial, is still usable because it's still Gengar. It will be faster than every Lati and can pick off a weakened one. Electabuzz1 makes a reappearance, and I'm not disappointed to see it. Entei4 is usable, but it has a mediocre to bad matchup vs Dragons. Sceptile3 isn't going to cut it vs the Dragons either. Blastoise3 does have a fairly good matchup vs. Dragons, but will get 1v1ed by Tbolt Lati. I took my time with this one, trying to map out the best way to handle a possible Lati lead. I decided on Electabuzz1, Gengar2, and Blastoise3, again relying on Electabuzz to T-Wave or Light Screen in a bad matchup and trying to preserve Blastoise to when I absolutely need it against a potential Double-Edge Salamence.

[:electabuzz:1:latias:2], [:gengar:2], [:blastoise:3]

The first trainer specialized in the Dragon-type, having the high risk high reward style. This is what happened:

VS. 232
The time I took to map out a gameplan vs a potential Lati lead was worthwhile as I ran into Latias.

Turn 1: The Latis tend to be no-nonsense type Pokemon, so I figured that it will go its strongest attack. Light Screen is the best play here. If it goes for Psychic, it has to be Latias1 because all the other sets that have Psychic have Earthquake as well. Would be a bummer because if it is Latias1, I'll have to sack Electabuzz and revenge with Gengar, and Gengar will have to take a big hit too. If it goes for Earthquake, I can go into Gengar and 2HKO it. Thanks to Light Screen, Gengar is not OHKOed by Psychic. If it goes for anything else, I'll adjust accordingly.

Foe LATIAS used EARTHQUAKE! It's super effective! The Relaxed nature Electabuzz takes it better than you think, like around 55%.

Turn 2: Taking advantage of the optimal AI, the pivot to Gengar is safe here.

ELECTABUZZ come back! Go! GENGAR!
Foe LATIAS used EARTHQUAKE! GENGAR's LEVITATE makes it immune to GROUND moves!

Turn 3: Let's 2HKO it with Shadow Ball.

GENGAR used SHADOW BALL! It's super effective!
Foe LATIAS used PSYCHIC! It's super effective!

Turn 4:
Now the reveal of Psychic there immediately confirmed that Latias was Latias2. Latias8 has Psychic + EQ as well, but it also had Shadow Ball which would be stronger since Screen was up. Latias2 reveal was concerning though because of a certain item...

Foe LATIAS used PSYCHIC! It's super effective! GENGAR fainted!

Turn 5: ...Quick Claw. I got Quick Clawed there, and I lose my Gengar. Pretty big because now Blastoise will have to take Tbolt chip when I was trying to preserve its HP vs a potential HRHR (high risk high return) Dragon. Blastoise takes close to 30% from Tbolt before taking Latias out.

Foe sent out SCIZOR!

Turn 6:
Now it's time to put our thinking caps on. HRHR was the quote, and Latias2 lacks any HRHR moves. Latias2 is also Quick Claw which removes any possiblity of Scizor being Scizor2. Also, we know that the last is another Dragon, and there are no Dragons that learn 2 HRHR moves in the same set, meaning Scizor has to be either Scizor1 (Counter) or Scizor3 (Reversal). At the same time, I want Blastoise to be as healthy as possible vs the worst-case scenario HRHR Dragon, Salamence4 (though looking back, Kingdra3/4 was probably the scariest one). Scizor1 has really weak moves, but Surf fails to 2HKO it majority of the time, so it will still get quality chip on Blastoise. Scizor3 has weak Slash, but if weakened, will have a decently strong Reversal. I still have Electabuzz1 in the back at a little above 40%. Decided the best play was going into Electabuzz. If Scizor1, I get the necessary Tbolt chip on it to where Blastoise can revenge without taking too much damage. If Scizor3, it will likely go for Agility first as the AI prioritizes being faster if they have a speed increasing or speed lowering move. Then I can T-Wave it to make sure it can't get out of hand with Reversal, get the chip, and revenge with Blastoise.

BLASTOISE, come back! Go, ELECTABUZZ!
Foe SCIZOR used AGILITY! Foe SCIZOR's SPEED sharply rose!

So Scizor3 was revealed. The plan described earlier worked perfectly, and Blastoise was able to revenge and take out Scizor without taking any damage. The third turned out to be Altaria, which was a relief. The only HRHR move any of the Altaria sets have is Perish Song, so it was Altaria2. Ice Beam, win.

After this battle, I decide to swap Electabuzz1 out for Latias2. Now usually the Latis tend to be a cheat code in the Factory, but Latias2 wasn't really that amazing in this round. Gengar2 also isn't the best mon out there; the moves are good, and it is a Gengar, but Gengar's very low Attack stat does hurt. Not only that, I have to face Noland and his perfect IV mons, so it would be rather difficult to face him with 2 of them being all 3 IVs. After the first battle I kept Lati Gengar Blastoise the rest of the way. The battles weren't easy; there was one battle where I misplayed assuming the AI would use a certain move and didn't, resulting in me losing Latias for no reason. Blastoise ended up going down to like Explosion or Destiny Bond, so I had to rely on the frail and weak Gengar2 to beat the last mon. It turned out to be Shiftry last which was a relief.

Noland Battle #4 was not easy either. While Latias took out the first Pokemon, Noland's second was Clefable. Thanks to Clef's perfect IVs, it did not get 2HKOed by Psychic while Clef 2HKOed with Shadow Ball, revealing Clefable4. I had no choice but to sack it so Blastoise can revenge. Went to Blastoise because I was aware that Clefable has a Focus Band, so if it activated, Gengar would have to tank a Shadow Ball which is obviously undesirable. Blastoise used Surf, and Focus Band DID activate! Clef in response went for Softboiled which was frustrating. It went for repeated Softboileds which made wonder if I was playing Factory or Showdown. Eventually it gave in and Mega Kicked Blastoise before going down to Surf. Their last was SALAMENCE. It went for Double-Edge on Blastoise, but luckily Blastoise lived on 1 HP (not on Focus Band) and took it out with Ice Beam! Happy that happened because the endgame would've been tough otherwise with Gengar2 vs. Salamence2/3/4. 84 wins!

Lucky number 13. It was already decided when I saw the first 4 Pokemon. Getting GODStarmie in no man's land is incredibly lucky considering Starmie has 8 possible sets. The fact that I got GODStarmie 3 times in this run is a testament to my luck. Along with GODStarmie, I got Espeon4 and Snorlax5, all perfect IVs, and Snorlax was even Thick Fat. Heck, even Hariyama4 isn't bad at all, but there's no way I'm turning down Espeon, Starmie and Lax.

[:espeon:4 ], [:snorlax:5], [:starmie:3]

Got an all-star team here, but it's very easy to get arrogant and slip up. With some kinda careful playing, there wasn't really any trouble in this round. Honestly I forgot Espeon4 can use Calm Mind, so I just prioritized getting damage outright, but there were probably some situations where going for a Calm Mind sweep was fine. Anything Espeon couldn't beat, GODStarmie did. There was one battle where both Espeon and Starmie went down, but Snorlax, in a rare appearance, was able to save the day and win the battle. At this point in the Factory, this round was a breeze. 91 wins!

Since Round 13 was won rather quickly, I felt like continuing the stream and play Round 14 right after. The mons I got this time were interesting. I got Electabuzz for the third time in 4 rounds; this time it is Electabuzz3, one of the best Electrics in the Factory. I also got Regirock3, the best Regirock. Jolteon4 is pretty good too, but I value Electabuzz's coverage more. Magmar3 and Clefable1 are bad. Quagsire3 is kinda usable, but it turned out to be Damp instead of Water Absorb. While Electabuzz3 and Regirock3 are fairly good, their synergy is rather clunky since they're both weak to Earthquake. Given how poor Magmar3 and Clef1 are and the redundancy of Jolteon4 when Electabuzz3 is better, I felt I had no other choice but to pick Quagsire3 as the last. Electric-types are good leads.

[:electabuzz:3], [:regirock:3], [:quagsire:3 :espeon:2]

In familiar fashion, I start off the round with Electabuzz3 lead along with Regirock3 and Quagsire3. The plan was to survive until I saw something better to replace Quagsire. I didn't. This round was not pretty at all; Electabuzz fell short more times than anticipated, requiring Regirock to really hold it down and try to outright sweep with Curse.

There were 2 big scares in this round. In the first scare, Electabuzz was down, and I had Quagsire on the battlefield who took out their second Pokemon. Their third turned out to be Victreebel, a Grass-type. Giga Drain OHKOed Quagsire and all I had left was Regirock at full. This was an interesting situation; my only way to win vs Victreebel is to stall it out of its Giga Drains. Victreebel2/3/4 Giga Drain always 3HKOs and is faster than Regirock while Victreebel1 is a roll in my favor and slower. Another element to this situation is the fact that some of the sets have Sleep Powder, and my Regirock is Chesto Berry. A potential bad sequence would be me RestoChestoing up and then falling asleep to Sleep Powder right after, putting me at mercy to sleep turns. I was somehow able to survive this situation, getting lucky with Victreebel Sleep Powdering early using up my Chesto and tanking 2 Gigas just to Rest up and tank the remaining 2. Victreebel ended up being Victreebel1. That battle really showed how exploitable my team was with the fact that Victreebel of all Pokemon was giving me trouble.

I was looking for a Pokemon that would be a good replacement for Quagsire, but I never saw one. I was getting desperate. After battle 95, I did run into Espeon. I think I saw it use Calm Mind in the battle, so it must've been Espeon1/2/4. I decided to once again take a chance a make the greed Espeon swap. It turned out to be Espeon2 which while disappointing, is better than Espeon1 at least. The second scare was even worse than the first: battle 97. I lost both Electabuzz and Regirock this time, so it was down to my 3 IV Espeon2 to take out the last Pokemon. They sent out Clefable. This was rather worrisome because Espeon2 is 0 SpA and cannot 2HKO it the majority of the time. Meanwhile, Clefable2 and Clefable4 can easily 2HKO Espeon with Meteor Mash and Shadow Ball respectively. It would be a bad look if this massive streak ended to Clefable2 of all mons. I Psychic and it goes for Thunderbolt, revealing Clefable3. Clef3 fortunately cannot 2HKO Espeon, so it beats Clef, once again avoiding defeat. I was lucky in this round in the fact that I didn't run into many top-tier Pokemon in the Factory compared to previous rounds. Thus, I got another 7 wins, extending the streak.

So, despite how far I was in the Factory, this was the first time I ran into Latios. It was Latios8 which isn't the best. Only good move is Psychic. Aerial Ace is funny because now I don't have to worry about Ludicolo3/4. The rest of the mons aren't too impressive either; Alakazam1 is no STAB, Starmie1 is also mono-Psychic, and Altaria2 is Altaria2. Manectric3 is a decent enough Electric, and Wailord4 is a decent enough Water. A BIG problem with this draft is that they gave me zero physical attackers, so I will be in trouble if I face Snorlax, Blissey, or Regice. I have to take what they give me though, and Latios8 Wailord4 Manectric3 were the best mons. Electrics are good leads. Manectric can T-Wave early in a poor matchup, and I have the Latios pivot option vs Earthquake.

[:manectric:3], [:latios:8], [:wailord:4]

I chose Manectric3 Latios8 Wailord4 hoping that I can find a good physical attacker along the way before I run into a special wall. There's also Noland to worry about in the end and his perfect IV Pokemon, so I can't swap too much. In addition, I was aware that I was only 2 wins away from my supposedly unrealistic goal of 100 wins, something I purposely did not think about until Round 14. As long as I won at least my first 2 battles, I was content in losing afterwards.

Remember how vulnerable my team is vs. special walls? I actually ran into Blissey the first battle. Manectric was able to beat the first 2 Pokemon, so I still had it around. I don't remember what quote it was in this battle, but based on what quote it was and the items of the first 2 Pokemon, I deduced that Blissey had to be 3 or 4. I decided the best moves were to T-Wave it first to maximize my chances for free turns, Iron Tail it down to fish for Defense drops, pressure it with phsycial attacks from Latios if Mane goes down, then last resort Fissure from Wailord if Latios goes down too. On the first Iron Tail, I got a crit Defense drop, putting Blissey at 50%. Blissey in return went for Counter, revealing Blissey4 and OHKOing my Manectric. This did put the Blissey in Earthquake range thanks to both the crit and drop, allowing me to escape the first battle.

Now to get far in the Factory, you do need a good deal of luck. In past runs, I usually have a battle or two where I outhax the AI and win when the majority of the time I should've lost. Outside of Battle 71 to a degree, I didn't really have that kind of a battle in this run...until this round. Before those (multiple) battles, I did win my first 2 battles, essentially completing the GOD run of 100 wins. So from here on out, I was fully fine with losing; in fact I was kinda encouraging it. Throughout this round, I didn't really see anything worthwhile to swap, so I had to roll the dice with my 3 special attackers hoping we don't run into Snorlax, Regice, or Blissey again.

Two battles, Battle 102 and Battle 104, really tested the limits of my luck. Here they are, in detail:

384 VS. 5/643/5

This trainer specialized in Psychic types while having a free-spirited and unrestrained playstyle. First Pokemon was Gardevoir.

Turn 1: Always an annoying lead, I must be wary and have a gameplan for all 8 of its possible sets. The play is to Thunderbolt and pay close attention to the Tbolt and Psychic damage rolls in order to narrow down possible sets.

MANECTRIC used THUNDERBOLT! Gardevoir took a little over half.
Foe GARDEVOIR used PSYCHIC! Psychic did well over 60%

Turn 2: Based on the damage rolls, Garde had to be 2, 5, or 6. Garde1 doesn't have Psychic, Garde3/4/8 would've taken more damage from Tbolt, and Garde7 would've taken less. Garde2 tends to go for setup, so I was steering more towards 5 and 6. With this information, I became worried about it being 5 or 6 because it has Salac Berry Destiny Bond, allowing it to 1v1 Manectric and trade against another mon. Because of this, I decided to sack Manectric to get a Thunder Wave off, ensuring that Latios can revenge with Shadow Ball afterwards.

MANECTRIC used THUNDER WAVE! The foe's GARDEVOIR is paralyzed! It may not move!
Foe GARDEVOIR used PSYCHIC! MANECTRIC fainted!

Turn 3:
Looking back, this was a misplay. A better play would be outright preserving Manectric and switching hard into Latios to take Garde out with Shadow Ball.

LATIOS used SHADOW BALL! It's super effective! Foe GARDEVOIR fainted!
Foe sent out ALAKAZAM!

Turn 4:
Second Pokemon was Alakazam. The only info I have at this point is that Alakazam cannot be Zam3 because that Pokemon activates the "impossible to predict" quote by itself, but we got the unrestrained quote. Zam1/2 both have Thunder Wave. Since the AI is aware that my Latios is faster, they will prioritize going for the paralysis so their Pokemon will outspeed in future turns. If it is Zam4, Ice Punch is coming. At this point I'll have to let Latios get paralyzed as long as it can 1v1 this Zam, then rely on Wailord to beat the last.

LATIOS used SHADOW BALL! It's super effective!
Foe ALAKAZAM used ICE PUNCH! It's super effective! LATIOS is frozen solid!

Turn 5:
Alakazam went for Ice Punch right off the bat, revealing Zam4. Unfortunately, it also froze my Latios, If that didn't happen, I would be in good shape.

LATIOS is frozen solid!
Foe ALAKAZAM used ICE PUNCH! It's super effective! LATIOS fainted!

Turn 6:
I failed to thaw and lose Latios in the process. This is a bummer because now Wailord4, a Pokemon that didn't come out in this round until now, will have to tank a Thunderpunch and somehow beat their last. Wailord is Quick Claw so maybe it can avoid taking damage.

Foe ALAKAZAM used THUNDERPUNCH! It's super effective! Wailord took exactly half from the T-Punch.
WAILORD used SURF! Foe ALAKAZAM fainted!
Foe sent out URSARING!

Turn 7:
Last was Ursaring, another mon with 8 possible sets. Really need to put on my thinking cap here. Remember, the quote for this battle is unrestrained. Gardevoir was very likely to be 5 or 6, and those sets have Destiny Bond, a HRHR move. Ursaring is a Pokemon whose sets have a lot of HRHR moves. It only takes 2 HRHR moves to activate the HRHR quote which means that the Ursaring must be a set that lacks a HRHR move. The only 2 Bear sets that lack a HRHR move are Ursaring3/5. Ursaring3 is the special set, but it's faster and 2HKOs me at 50%. Ursaring5 is BANDED and will send me packing with Mega Kick, but Wailord is faster and the Bear can miss. In return, because Wailord4 lacks SpA investment, I have a very low chance to 2HKO Ursaring3 with Surf, and I never 2HKO Ursaring5 with Surf. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and considering the circumstances, there was no choice but to go for the emergency out...

WAILORD used FISSURE! It's a one-hit KO! URSARING fainted!

I HIT THE FISSURE LOL!!! If Ursaring was 3, then I Quick Clawed it as well. Absolutely hilarious ending of a battle I should've lost. There's no way this can be topped. Right?

384 VS. 712

The quote before this battle was that the trainer specailized in Water-types while having a free-spirited and unrestrained style. I send out Manectric while they send out Lapras.

Turn 1: This looks like a favorable matchup. Lapras has 8 possible sets, and I have a nickname for each one. Lapras1 is "slow and steady" because it activates the slow and steady quote by itself. Lapras2 is the "fastest Lapras in the West" being Timid max Speed and Quick Claw. Lapras3 is just bad. Lapras4 is GODLapras, having the same moves and item as GODStarmie. Lapras5 is the anti-godLapras, 4 attacks but no STAB. Lapras6 is "ride or die" Lapras, wielding 3 inaccurate moves. Lapras7/8 are the OHKO machines as they both have 2 OHKO moves. Manectric, being the Electric-type Pokemon, should have nothing to fear against this Lapras of course.

MANECTRIC used THUNDERBOLT! It's super effective! Thunderbolt only does a little over 60%.
Foe LAPRAS used SHEER COLD! It's a one-hit KO! MANECTRIC fainted!

Turn 2:
This was a shock to me. I thought the quote said unrestrained, but the only Lapras with OHKO moves are 7/8 who have 2 of them. 2 OHKO moves should've activated the HRHR quote. Maybe I misremembered the quote due to fatigue and excitement from getting the 100 wins and winning Battle 102. Later on I figured out what happened, but for now, let's get back to the battle.

So Lapras was either 7 or 8. If it is 7, then that's a HUGE problem. My strongest attack at this point was Latios's Psychic, but that does not KO Lapras at ~40%. Lapras7 has Rest to heal all that damage off. Psychic doesn't even 3HKO 100% of the time, so if it's 7, it will be able the Rest up and have multiple opportunites to fish and OHKO my team. If it is 8, I just need to dodge 1 (2 if QC) OHKO move to 2HKO it with Psychic.

LATIOS used PSYCHIC! It did not KO.
Foe LAPRAS used REST! Foe LAPRAS went to sleep and became healthy!

Turn 3: So it was Lapras7, the worst-case scenario. I'm basically at the mercy of this mon; need to try and 3HKO it before it hits an OHKO move.

LATIOS used PSYCHIC!
Foe LAPRAS used SLEEP TALK! Foe LAPRAS used HORN DRILL! It's a one-hit KO! LATIOS fainted!

Turn 4: So just like that I lost both Manectric and Latios. In order to win, Wailord4 has to beat all 3 Pokemon, including another Water. I was fully fine with losing at this point, but let's see what Wailord can do.

WAILORD used FISSURE! It's a one-hit KO! Foe LAPRAS fainted!
Foe sent out WHISCASH!

Turn 5: What is this Wailord? How is it doing this? Is Wailord4 the greatest Pokemon to ever grace the Battle Factory?

So Whiscash came out. I decided to not press my luck with Fissure anymore and just trade blows against it. Surf 3HKOs instead of 2HKOs unfortunately, so Wailord may get significantly chipped.

WAILORD used SURF! Does about 40%.
Foe WHISCASH used AMNESIA! Foe WHISCASH's SP.DEF sharply rose!

Turn 6: So it went for Amnesia, revealing Whiscash1. This is an issue because it can Rest up on me, and I fail to 3HKO it with any attack. I go for Surf again to fish for a crit or hope that they don't go for Rest.

WAILORD used SURF!
Foe WHISCASH used REST! Foe WHISCASH fell asleep and became healthy! Foe WHISCASH wakes up using its CHESTO BERRY!

Turn 7:
There's only one thing to do.

WAILORD used FISSURE! It's a one-hit KO! Foe WHISCASH fainted!
Foe sent out SHUCKLE!

LOL you can't be serious. I was lucky enough to get over 100 wins in the first place, but to have this battle along with Battle 102 is insane. Wailord's preformance will not be forgotten.

Shuckle last is obviously great for Wailord. Surf a few times, Earthquake on a Shuckle Dig revealing Shuckle2, and win a battle I had no right in winning.

I did have to battle Noland for the fifth time, but I don't remember what mons he had, probably because the battle wasn't as eventful as 102 and 104. All I remember was that Manectric hit an Iron Tail before going down, and that Iron Tail chip was useful. Much to my surprise, not only did I surpass 100 wins, the streak is still not over.

At this point, I was fully satisfied with the results of this run. I announced that I was going to do one final stream where I just play until I lose. A good amount of people saw this stream, helping me out, throwing some ideas, and enjoying the ride. Was a fun one.
The scientist before said that the first trainer specializes in STEEL-types. You gotta account for the worst case scenario, and the most dangerous Steel of course is Metagross. Best mon I got here by a mile is Gengar7. Strong, fast, great coverage, EQ-immune, Destiny Bond; incredible. Regice2 isn't good in general, but it matches up poorly vs Steel-types obviously. Misdreavus2 isn't good either; it can T-Wave, but that's it. Entei4 is interesting considering the matchup here. Lanturn1 is a usable Water, but it's Illumniate instead of Volt Absorb. Skarm4 is not a Pokemon I would call good, but it's the only physical attacker they gave me, even though it would still lose to like Blissey3/4 1v1. While Gengar was obvious, the other two weren't. Entei was tempting, but the synergy of Lanturn + Gengar + Skarmory along with the necessity of at least 1 physcial attacker seemed better. Ultimately, I was really banking that I run into Metagross so I can swap Skarm for it right off the bat.

[:lanturn:1:zapdos:4], [:gengar:7], [:skarmory:4 :metagross:2]

I did win the first battle and ran into Metagross. Swapped Skarm out for it; it turned out to be Metagross2 which was great! Didn't know this until I played this round, but I really appreciated that Lanturn1, unlike other slow and steady set 1 Waters, is max SpA. The invested attacks can make all the difference. A little later I ran into Zapdos4 where Gengar was able to 1v1. Swapped Lanturn out for it and it was a cruise from there. Ran into a fair number of Double Teamers in this round like Registeel5 twice. That set is very scary normally, but it's fully walled by Gengar. I didn't use Destiny Bond once in this round which exemplifies the how little trouble I had. Got 7 wins and kept the stream going.

This time, I ran into a trainer who specialized in WATER-types with a "slow and steady" style. Not an uncommon type/style combination. The scariest slow and steady Water would be Ludicolo3/4 which have Leech Seed, Double Team, Leftovers, potential Toxic, and potential Rain Dish to really stay healthy under rain. I kept that Pokemon in my mind when deciding my 3 Pokemon. Marowak2 is a very strong physical attacker that runs max Speed, allowing it to outspeed a lot of univested mid-tier Speed Pokemon thanks to the perfect IVs. Vaporeon3 is a nice humble Water. Misdreavus3 is a desperate pick of sorts; I only pick it when there is a certain threat that I know the other 2 cannot handle, but I lack another option. At least it can Mean Look Perish Song such a threat if I run into it. Blissey2 is fairly good, just not as good as Blissey1. Blastoise1 has strong Pumps but will be outclassed by Vaporeon here. Aero3 lacked Rock Head here, but it's not a mon I like in general. Normally I would go Vaporeon Blissey Marowak, but I would be in big trouble if I actually ran into Ludicolo3/4. Because of this, I take a mini-risk and choose Misdreavus instead of Marowak, banking on Misdreavus to beat Ludicolo if I run into it. Blissey matches up well vs the rest of the Waters.

[:vaporeon:3], [:blissey:2], [:misdreavus:3 :medicham:2:crobat:4]

The Misdreavus pick worked perfectly, making it my favorite decision that I made in this run. I did actually run into Ludicolo4 in the first battle. Sent Misdreavus out and it was able to PerishTrap it. Misdreavus was also useful in the second battle as I ran into Medicham2, a Pokemon that can outright sweep you if you're not careful. Misdreavus was able to Thunder Wave it, eliminating its threat level. I'm actually quite the Medicham2 fan against the optimal AI because it's easy to get the Endure play right, activating the Salac and firing off full power Reversals. So I swapped Misdreavus for it. Two battles later I battled against a Latios8 and Crobat4. I swapped Medicham2 for Crobat4, valuing the extra Speed and better movepool than Latios8. From there on it was pretty straightforward. Blissey2 did the majority of the work with Vaporeon and Crobat helping out here and there. With that, I won another round in the Factory even though at this point I was begging to lose.

This post went over 65,000 characters while I was writing about the last round, so I'll post about Round 18 and my loss later. Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

Wildcat Formation

flexibly adaptable to the situation
is a Tiering Contributor
I was over 2 hours into the stream and I still haven't lost yet. I was getting tired, so I was going to make this the last round if I win here and continue another time. As you can see, this round will be the end of my long journey to the top of the Factory.

Once again, I got another useful quote for the first trainer. This one was very unique, featuring a type/style combination I've never seen playing the Factory: specializing in BUG-type and slow and steady. The part that threw me off was "slow and steady" because there's not many Bug-types, and there's even less Bug-type sets that have slow and steady moves. I was stumped at first until I remembered, "SHUCKLE!" So I knew that whatever I brought needs to handle a possible but very likely Shuckle.

Blissey2 makes a reappearance, once again with Serene Grace instead of Natural Cure. Ride or die Lapras6 is my sole Water. Medicham1 is not very good because High Jump Kick in this gen has low base power. Nidoking1 is...well...yeah. Altaria3 is easily the best Altaria having DD EQ Aerial Ace, basically a weaker Salamence4. Rapidash4 exists, but admittedly has a fair matchup here given at least 2 Bugs are coming out. The formula of Water, Blissey, and Flying worked nicely last round, and based on what they gave me, is more than workable here. Lapras6 Blissey2 Altaria3 it is.

[:lapras:6], [:blissey:2], [:altaria:3]

Welp. I came into this round with 119 wins, and I came out of it with 119 wins. Usually losing in the first round of the Factory is the result of getting a really bad draft, but this combination of 3 Pokemon is not bad at all. This battle here is a doozy; let's get into it.

623 VS.3/423
Turn 1: My hunch was correct and I did run into Shuckle. Having Lapras6 out as a lead is ideal. However, there are 2 problems. One, I am "ride or die" Lapras, a Pokemon that has nothing but inaccurate attacks, and two, Hydro Pump does not OHKO pretty much any Shuckle set. Because the quote is slow and steady, I am embracing the worst-case scenario of Shuckle3 since it has 2 slow and steady moves. Shuckle3 is Double Team Toxic Substitute with Leftovers, so I really don't want that to get out of hand early. If it does, I do have Altaria as a backup plan. Plus, if I hit the first Hydro, I can Rain Dance and take Shuckle out with Thunder. I Hydro Pump here.

LAPRAS used HYDRO PUMP! LAPRAS's attack missed!
Foe SHUCKLE used DOUBLE TEAM! Foe SHUCKLE's evasiveness rose!

Turn 2: I missed but I might as well try again. Miss again and I'll reevaluate my gameplan.

LAPRAS used HYDRO PUMP! A critical hit! It's super effective! Foe SHUCKLE fainted!
Foe sent out HERACROSS!

Turn 3:
I get lucky once more and crit the Shuckle which did live. No complaints here; moving on.

Heracross comes out which is interesting. This Heracross is most likely Hera2 as that one has a slow and steady move with Attract, but the last can easily have a slow and steady move as well. A minor issue about critting Shuckle is that I technically did not find out which set it was. No Shuckle or Heracross set have the same item, so technically every Heracross set is at play here. I do have an Altaria in the back, but 2 of Heracross's sets have a Rock move. Since Lapras is also weak to Rock, I didn't like the idea of risking it. I also gained a fear of it being Hera3 who is faster than Altaria and can potentially flinch it with Rock Slide. If that happened, I just lose on the spot, but I had no way of avoiding that. I decided the move was to stay in and Pump to find out what set it is. 4 would be best case scenario as Altaria can set up on it very easily. 2 isn't bad either as both of its attacks resist Altaria, but I was wary of its gender. Heracross was female, and my Altaria was male, so it can 1v1 my Altaria with enough free turns. Alt is faster than Hera1. Vs. Hera3, Alt is at the mercy of Rock Slide flinch, but would be good otherwise.

Foe HERACROSS used BULK UP! Foe HERACROSS's ATTACK rose! Foe HERACROSS's DEFENSE rose!
LAPRAS used HYDRO PUMP! LAPRAS's attack missed!

Turn 4:
Bulk Up reveal confirmed it was Heracross2. Going hard into Altaria3 is safe.

LAPRAS, that's enough, come back! Go ALTARIA!
Foe HERACROSS used BULK UP! Foe HERACROSS's ATTACK rose! Foe HERACROSS's DEFENSE rose!

Turn 5:
It went for Bulk Up again, making it 2 boosts ahead of my Altaria. I absolutely want to get at least one Dragon Dance up to ensure that Altaria is faster next turn. Hydro Pump miss against Hera is hurting now because Hera can now live an Aerial Ace. At this point I played with the calculator to see how many boosts Hera needs to KO me with Megahorn. After playing around with multiple calcs at different boosts, also accounting for possible Swarm, the most important calc was that Megahorn always 2HKOs Alt at +3. But if it goes for another BU, that will give Alt the opportunity to get the DD up and 2HKO it before it 2HKOs me. Aerial Ace put it in Swarm range, but Alt lived a +3 Swarm Megahorn from full. Thus, the moves are to DD first, then Aerial Ace twice to beat it.

ALTARIA used DRAGON DANCE! ALTARIA's attack rose! ALTARIA's SPEED rose!

Turn 6:
Now it's time to Aerial Ace since I'm faster.

ALTARIA used AERIAL ACE! It's super effective! Took well above 90%.
Foe HERACROSS used ATTRACT! ALTARIA fell in love!

Turn 7:
Hera used Attract, so now I unfortunately have to play the Attract game. 2 (or more if they miss) chances to break out and beat it.

ALTARIA is in love with Foe HERACROSS! ALTARIA is immobilized by love!
Foe HERACROSS used MEGAHORN! It's not very effective...
Almost OHKOs, confirming that Heracross was Swarm.

Turn 8: One more chance...

ALTARIA is in love with Foe HERACROSS! ALTARIA is immobilized by love!
Foe HERACROSS used MEGAHORN! It's not very effective...ALTARIA fainted!

Turn 9:
I fail to break out of infatuation and lose my Altaria. Disappointing, and it's looking over at this point. Only chance of surviving now is dodging Megahorn. I went into Blissey first because it has an accurate move in Seismic Toss if it dodges the Megahorn compared to ride or die Lapras.

Foe HERACROSS used MEGAHORN! BLISSEY fainted!

Turn 10: I send out Lapras, fully embracing defeat.

Foe HERACROSS used MEGAHORN! Foe HERACROSS's attack missed!
LAPRAS used HYDRO PUMP! Foe HERACROSS fainted!

Turn 11:
A glimmer of hope. My luck in this run knows no bounds. Granted, Lapras6 is actually Brightpowder, but it still needed to hit the Pump after the dodge.

Walrein was their last Pokemon. I tried my best figuring out which Walrein set it could be, but I was a little tired from the previous two rounds, so my train of thought wasn't fully correct here. I did correctly recognize that it was impossible for Walrein to be Walrein2. Walrein2 lacks a slow and steady move, and you need 3 slow and steady moves between the 3 Pokemon to activate that quote. Hera2 has 1 slow and steady move which meant that in order for that quote to be true, Shuckle has to be Shuckle3 as it is the only Shuckle with 2 slow and steady moves. However, if the team was Shuckle3 Heracross2 Walrein2, then the quote would instead be "impossible to predict" because Shuckle3 has Substitute and Walrein2 has Curse. Thus, Walrein2 is out the window. I believed it couldn't be Walrein3 because that set would activate the HRHR quote by itself. My mistake here was going all-in believing that Walrein had to be Walrein1 since it has a slow and steady move in Yawn, when in reality it was fully plausible for the team to be Shuckle3 Hera2 Walrein4. I fully disregarded Walrein4 for some reason. Shuckle3 Hera2 Walrein1 is an impossible combination as well because of dual Leftovers. Either way, I thought I was home free battling against a Walrein1 who only has Blizzard. I went for Thunder just to see.

Foe WALREIN used ATTRACT! LAPRAS fell in love!
LAPRAS is in love with Foe WALREIN! LAPRAS used THUNDER! It's super effective!
Thunder does around 70%, if not, more.

Turn 12: Attract reveal confirmed Walrein3. At this point I was really confused; I thought Walrein3 was impossible because it activated the HRHR quote by itself. I found out later that I was wrong. The reason I assumed Walrein3, and by extension Dewgong3, Lapras7, and Lapras8, activate the HRHR quote on their own were because they all have 2 OHKO moves. While Horn Drill, Guillotine, and Fissure are considered HRHR moves, Sheer Cold, in the biggest twist ever, is not. This also solved the problem I had in Battle 104 regarding the unrestrained quote and Lapras7. Based on this info, Shuckle had to be 3 or 4.

Back to the battle, this is terrible news! Walrein3 is like the final boss in the all battle facilities: 2 OHKO moves, Quick Claw, and practically un-OHKOable in return. Not only that, it got the Quick Claw Attract on Lapras! I did hit the Thunder though, so if I break infatuation and hit one more I win. Odds aren't looking good though.

LAPRAS is in love with Foe WALREIN! LAPRAS used THUNDER! LAPRAS's attack missed!
Foe WALREIN used FISSURE! Foe WALREIN's attack missed!

Turn 13:
I remember this. I yelled every time Walrein went for the OHKO move.

LAPRAS is in love with Foe WALREIN! LAPRAS is immobilized by love!
Foe WALREIN used SURF! It's not very effective...

Turn 14:
Surf is fine by me. Keep Surfing...

Turn 15:

Foe WALREIN used SURF! It's not very effective...

Turn 16:
Please break out...

Foe WALREIN used SHEER COLD! Foe WALREIN's attack missed!

Turn 17:
Please...

Foe WALREIN used SHEER COLD! Foe WALREIN's attack missed!

Turn 18:
Please......

Turn 19:
Cmon..........

Foe WALREIN used SHEER COLD! It's a one-hit KO! LAPRAS fainted!

TOUGHNESS IS THE
WAY TO GO

The GOD run came to a close. After breaking out of infatuation the first 2 times, I failed to break out for 7 straight turns. Absolutely not complaining about the hax; I got far enough, and it was honestly an epic way of finally going down.

So yeah, this was my journey to the top of the Factory. I hope this inspires people to try the Factory again; it's notoriously the hardest facility to get Gold due to the randomness, but there are ways to maximize your chances in getting those 42 wins. Lv. 50 is no doubt easier than Open Level for anyone still trying to reach the Gold. The first 2 rounds, while boring, tend to be rather free if you know what you're doing, and you'll immediately know the sets when the Pokemon come out compared to Open Level which requires winning 2 rounds of no man's land. In a future post I may make a threatlist of all the mons in the Factory giving my opinion on what's good or bad since I pretty much used them all, or at least the good ones. Some final mentions:

JoebertIII I've seen your Youtube clips and Twitch VODs of you playing the Factory. Watching others play the Factory always pump me up to play more of it, and it was helpful in trying to improve my decision making in certain situations. Your Factory survival guide and spreadsheet are very useful, and I recommend anyone playing the Factory to read and use these tools along with the calculator of course. Thanks for your help and support.

Actaeon Always fun when you're in call playing Factory. Your Factory Assistant was interesting, and there's no doubt it can be optimized even further. Thanks for helping out in Round 11; still can't believe we beat Zapdos lol.

Kommo-o Community Factory let's goooooooooooooooooo

Everyone else who saw the streams. It was fun and I hope you guys enjoyed it.

Finally finished writing this, whew. Maybe I'll try to beat this record one day. Or even worse, try to get 100 wins in Open Level. I still have the back-to-back 42 win between Lv. 50 and Open Level goal at least to work on. Either way, I love this facility too much, so I'm not stopping here. Battle Factory is awesome! Everyone should play it. The end.

Just got 30 wins in the Battle Dome with the same team as before, but with a better Gengar and Metagross. My loss was due to a very idiotic misplay.

:rs/slaking:
Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
EVs: 6 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 28/24/30/8/17/28
Double-Edge
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Hyper Beam

:rs/gengar:
Gengar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA, 6 SpD, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
IVs: 15/30/2/31/22/27
Thunderbolt
Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Destiny Bond

:rs/metagross:
Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
IVs: 27/25/29/11/28/31
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Explosion

Had a fairly smooth run with this team up until my misplay. And this time around, I actually secured several wins by using Destiny Bond and/or Explosion to force a tie.

This team is vulnerable against Gold Tucker thanks to Protect + Quick Claw Metagross (nullifies Slaking and can hax out my Gengar/Metagross). I didn't want to leave the Tucker battles up to a Quick Claw activation chance, so I used Suicune over Metagross on the Tucker rounds.

:rs/suicune:
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP, a bit in Spe, SpA, and SpD, rest in Def (I think)
Nature: Bold
IVs: Pretty bad, but don't know exactly since I don't remember EVs
Calm Mind
Surf
Substitute
Rest

Threats
Mostly bulky pokemon with stat boosting moves and hax options like Double Team or confusion.
Some examples:
- Umbreon: Needs 90% accuracy Hyper Beam for the OHKO, Curse + Double Team, Confuse Ray
- Regirock: Curse, Double Team, survives Slaking Earthquake
- Registeel: basically same as Regirock
- Cradily: Barrier, Confuse Ray, can't be OHKOed by Slaking

Using Gengar against these can be unreliable as Destiny Bond only has 8 PP and they might just keep boosting rather than attack.
Also, I usually lead with Slaking so this team is especially vulnerable on the turn the 2nd pokemon comes out as they have a free turn to use something like Double Team or Curse.

BTW, does anyone know the formula that is used to determine the seeding in the Battle Dome? Seems like Bulbapedia's formula is incorrect or incomplete since my team has a BST of 1770 but was always the highest seed whereas I saw multiple legendary teams with 1800 BST that were ranked very low.

Attachments

Last edited:
I was really in the mood for Battle Frontier this weekend and I just cleared 357 rooms in the Battle Pike. The team is pretty standard and one that several others have used before. My loss was due to being absolutely demolished by a Heracross, which is a huge threat to this team. Even Modest Starmie does not guarantee OHKO uninvested Heracross without a Twistedspoon.

:rs/starmie:
Starmie @ Lum Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Hasty
IVs: 13/21/27/26/23/23
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Surf
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

My strategy was to always pick the aroma and nostalgia room, pick the whispering room if my Starmie and Metagross were relatively healthy, and always avoid the trainer room. Starmie's Natural Cure makes the nostalgia room less risky compared to Lati@s. (But ofc Double Battles are tougher without Levitate)

Metagross @ Choice Band
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Explosion

I found Explosion to still be useful during the tough trainer battles with a heal afterwards. And it could also come in handy during a 7th room double battle. Shadow Ball was nice for a 100% accurate single target move in Double Battles and against Ghosts/Psychics.

:rs/blissey:
Blissey @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
IVs: 19/23/31/15/30/30
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Spe
Aromatherapy
Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Toxic

Toxic was good against bulky waters like Milotic and Gyarados and I found it a bit more useful overall than Flamethrower (which I used in my previous run).

Attachments

Just got 30 wins in the Battle Dome with the same team as before, but with a better Gengar and Metagross. My loss was due to a very idiotic misplay.

:rs/slaking:
Slaking @ Choice Band
EVs: 6 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 28/24/30/8/17/28
Double-Edge
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Hyper Beam

:rs/gengar:
Gengar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
IVs: 15/30/2/31/22/27
Thunderbolt
Ice Punch
Fire Punch
Destiny Bond

Metagross @ Leftovers
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Explosion

Had a fairly smooth run with this team up until my misplay. And this time around, I actually secured several wins by using Destiny Bond and/or Explosion to force a tie.

This team is vulnerable against Gold Tucker thanks to Protect + Quick Claw Metagross (nullifies Slaking and can hax out my Gengar/Metagross). I didn't want to leave the Tucker battles up to a Quick Claw activation chance, so I used Suicune over Metagross on the Tucker rounds.

:rs/suicune:
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP, a bit in Spe, SpA, and SpD, rest in Def (I think)
Nature: Bold
IVs: Pretty bad, but don't know exactly since I don't remember EVs
Calm Mind
Surf
Substitute
Rest

Threats
Mostly bulky pokemon with stat boosting moves and hax options like Double Team or confusion.
Some examples:
- Umbreon: Needs 90% accuracy Hyper Beam for the OHKO, Curse + Double Team, Confuse Ray
- Regirock: Curse, Double Team, survives Slaking Earthquake
- Registeel: basically same as Regirock
- Cradily: Barrier, Confuse Ray, can't be OHKOed by Slaking

Using Gengar against these can be unreliable as Destiny Bond only has 8 PP and they might just keep boosting rather than attack.
Also, I usually lead with Slaking so this team is especially vulnerable on the turn the 2nd pokemon comes out as they have a free turn to use something like Double Team or Curse.

BTW, does anyone know the formula that is used to determine the seeding in the Battle Dome? Seems like Bulbapedia's formula is incorrect or incomplete since my team has a BST of 1770 but was always the highest seed whereas I saw multiple legendary teams with 1800 BST that were ranked very low.
The info on Bulbapedia is incorrect indeed; it actually looks at stats instead of basestats so the IV advantage really gives the player a big edge there. The other info (e.g. extra points for multiple types etc) is correct.

The info on Bulbapedia is incorrect indeed; it actually looks at stats instead of basestats so the IV advantage really gives the player a big edge there. The other info (e.g. extra points for multiple types etc) is correct.
Out of curiosity, do you mind posting the exact formula that is used to calculate the rankings if you know it?

First of all, congratulations to Suspicious Derivative and Purple Kecleon on their new streaks! You are both old users on the forums and I'm really happy to know that both achieved a higher streak from where you left off. I noticed that you both used your same teams but with some changes on your sets. I have updated both of your new submissions, so please let me know if I made a mistake or forgot to add something!
Thank you! I think the way you linked to both my old and new teams is fine as it means that no information is missing. I noticed that you made a slight mistake with my Palace streak, you forgot to remove the *. Other than that, everything looks correct.
Regarding your non-addition AudreySP, as JoebertIII explained, you need a 42 win streak as minimum on Battle Factory to have your team included! I can only encourage you to keep going and once you reached that number, I'll be more than happy to review it!
If this is the case, should some of the Factory streaks on the leaderboards be removed? Some users (myself included) have submitted Factory streaks which ended below 42 wins but we still got them included on the leaderboards. I think this was back when Golden Blissey was running the thread.

On a similar note, what are the requirements for getting on the leaderboards? Is it the required wins for the Gold Symbol for each facility? If so, does that apply to all formats, or just Single? This would be good to know, so I’m grateful for answers.

It has been over a month since my last post, but I haven’t been slacking off! Or to be honest, I might have been doing just that. I have continued battling at the Frontier, but not at the pace I had originally planned. My plan was to make another post once I had completed my streaks in two more Facilities, but I only have one Facility to post about this time. Some of my streaks went better than I had expected, which meant that things took a bit longer to get done. In addition to that, I have had other things in my life which I had been forced to focus on, leaving me with even less time to play. I have also been playing Smash Ultimate a lot lately and it is very fun… almost too fun, since I have a hard time putting it down.

Previously, I completed my streaks at the Palace and the Arena, both of these are Facilities with specific rules that affect battles. After them, I decided to continue with the standard Facility which doesn’t have any special rules at all. The Battle Tower. I ended up trying the three formats I could do and got six streaks on the whole, but I don’t want all of them added to the leaderboards.

Unlike last time, I did look up opposing sets during almost all battles. I used Bulbapedia’s list of Battle Frontier trainers for this.

Battle Tower
Just like at the Palace and Arena, I had quit after beating the boss (Gold Anabel in this case) which meant I had an ongoing streak of 70. I continued on it now.

Format: Level 50, Single, retail cart

Team:

1650220172416.png

Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry ** Brutus
IVs: Flawless Att / Spd
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
Level 50 stats: 169/205/87/106/93/152
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

1650220201343.png

Starmie @ Petaya Berry ** Zed
IVs: Flawless Sp.att / Spd
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Sp.att / 252 Spd
Level 50 stats: 125/77/99/167/97/167
Nature: Modest
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

1650220220140.png

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers ** Sleeplax
Ability: Thick Fat
IVs: Flawless Defense
EVs: 252 HP / 5 Def / 253 Sp.def
Level 50 stats: 261/117/86/67/174/36
Nature: Careful
- Body Slam
- Shadow Ball
- Curse
- Rest

Streak: 78

Picture proof:

Salamence is the same as the one I used for the Palace and Arena. There was a discussion earlier about how CB Mence is the better option and that is probably true. I have never tried CB Mence at Tower Singles so I can’t really speak for it, but I find Dragon Dance to be really great in some situations. Starmie is a different one compared to the one I used at the Palace and Arena, this one runs a standard SPIT set.

Snorlax is a Curselax set. It originally had Return, but I changed it to Body Slam. The reason being that in 2014, I traded over this exact team from Emerald to R/S in order to beat the Battle Tower on those games (my goal was to 56 battles in a row to get the TC upgrade, which I accomplished on both games). Since the Friendship level is reset upon trade, and since I was too lazy to max it out between each trade, I taught it Body Slam over Return before trading it from Emerald to R/S. Then I just stuck with it after trading it back to Emerald. I don’t think the lower base power makes too much of a difference once you have set up a few Curses, but I have not run any damage calculations so I’m not sure. The Paralysis chance is a bit luck-based, but it can be very useful in some situations, like in my victory battle against Gold Anabel (video and full description for that battle can be found here.

I use Shadow Ball as the coverage move. Earthquake is better against Steel- and Rock-types, but I prefer Shadow Ball since it doesn’t leave Snorlax helpless against Gengar and Misdreavus. As for the EVs, it has maxed HP and Sp.def since it can boost Attack and Defense with Curse, and it doesn’t need Sp.att or Speed.

This is a goodstuffs team, it mostly relies on strategy to beat the opponents, which unfortunately makes it very weak to hax. Salamence’s Aerial Ace can take care of evasion-boosters, and Lum/Natural Cure/Rest can help against status, but other things tend to give me problems. Crits, Flinches, Quick Claws, Focus Sashes and OHKO moves can really screw me up.

During the 9 battles I had with the team now, there were some notable situations. One battle involved a lead Shiftry with Double Team. It used Double Team 6 times while I used Dragon Dance 6 times along with it, allowing Salamence to nuke the opposing team into oblivion afterwards. I remember getting into a similar situation when facing a Double Team Vileplume with this team in the past. A similar situation happened against a Milotic. It was out against Snorlax and just kept spamming Mirror Coat, letting me set up 6 Curses and destroy it.

My return to the Tower went similar to my return to the Arena. I won one more round, then I lost in the second. Video and details about the loss below:

Battle summary:
My opponent is Dragon Tamer Trevon. He leads with a Nidoking. The list reveals that it can be one out of four different sets. He seems to be the type of trainer which can have all sets of certain Pokémon species, I have seen similar trainers in the facilities in the later generations. Two of the Nidoking sets know Horn Drill, one of them is holding a Quick Claw and the other is a special attacker which knows Blizzard. I was unsure about what to do here. Switching to Starmie or Snorlax could be risky since I didn’t want either of them to eat a Horn Drill (or another potentially powerful move). I decide to use Dragon Dance and see what happens. So I do, and the Nidoking uses Blizzard! Which means that it was the special attacker set after all. Now what?

It misses. Salamence lives. EQ next turn, Nidoking faints, Kingdra comes out to replace it. Once again, it can be any of four sets. Checking the list, 3/4 of the Kingdra sets have either an Ice- or Dragon-type move (or both). I don’t expect Salamence to be able to KO with EQ, so I switch to Snorlax. The Kingdra uses Ice Beam, which means it is set 1 or 2. It uses Dragon Dance on the next turn, confirming set 1. I let Snorlax use Curse to set up. Since the Kingdra has Dragon Dance and Double-Edge, I need to boost my Defense. On the next turn, the Kingdra uses Double-Edge while I use Curse once more. I was unsure if I would be able to KO with a +2 Curse, so I decide to use it once before attacking. The Kingdra decides to Dragon Dance once more. Now, time to attack! The Kingdra does the same, it uses Double-Edge… and gets a Crit. Snorlax faints.

Not good. How should I continue from here? I decide to send in Salamence first to lower the Kingdra’s Attack with Intimidate, then switch to Starmie to tank an Ice Beam and hope that the Kingdra will Dragon Dance while I can KO it with Psychic. Everything goes to plan, except Psychic doesn’t KO. The Kingdra uses Double-Edge, KOing both itself and Starmie. I send out Salamence, my opponent’s last Pokémon is an Aggron. Once again, it can be any set out of four. Two have Quick Claws, another has a Brightpowder and knows Blizzard, two sets also know Rock Slide… which shouldn’t be too bad if unless they get a Crit. But I have EQ, so I should win if I land a hit. I use EQ, MISS, meaning it was the Brightpowder set… and it KO’s Salamence with Blizzard. Streak over.

This was a rather sour loss as I don’t think I would have lost if I hadn’t gotten haxed. But still, I could have done things differently. I should have used EQ directly against the Nidoking instead of setting up a DD first. That didn’t matter in the end, but it was still a mistake. I should also have attacked with Snorlax after two Curses instead of setting up a third. Even if it hadn’t KO’d the Kingdra, it should have done a ton of damage, forcing it to Rest or maybe it would have been damaged to the point that it would have KO’d itself with Double-Edge afterwards. If that had happened, I would have had both Salamence and Starmie left against the Aggron, leaving me with a better chance of winning.

So that’s how my Level 50 streak ended. While this was the main streak I wanted to complete, I decided to try the other formats as well before leaving the Tower. To start with, I went to Open Level Single. I had an ongoing streak of 7 since before, and a record streak of 42. Don’t remember the exact details for that streak or when it happened, but I have a memory of my Raikou being defeated by a Weezing’s Sludge Bomb. Anyway, I continued on my ongoing streak, and it went surprisingly well. As you can see on the image shown earlier, I somehow made it to 70 wins. However, I do not want the streak added to the leaderboards.

I used Heracross/Suicune/Raikou from my level 100 box, the same team as I used for Open Level at the Palace. I made it through four more rounds without major issues, got to face Silver Anabel again in Battle #35. I wasn’t prepared for it and the battle got a little more complicated than expected, but I still won without any of my team members fainting. After that, I expected to lose somewhere in the 40-50s, but I somehow made it all the way up to Gold Anabel. I did absolutely not expect that to happen. Looking up opposing Pokémon movesets definitely helped a lot during this streak, but I still got much further than expected. I also got to face some Dragonite and Tyranitar, two Pokémon I rarely see in the Frontier since I usually play at Level 50. So that was cool.

I beat Gold Anabel in one of the stupidest battles ever, then I lost immediately afterward in Battle #71 against a lead Espeon which I misplayed against. Though it wasn’t too surprising as my team has one member which is weak to Psychic but no resists to Psychic. After losing, I was actually happy instead of sad. This streak continued for much longer than I had expected and after a certain point, I just wanted it to end, so I was happy when it finally happened.

The reason I don’t want this streak added to the leaderboards is that it feels like it happened more through luck than skill. The streak does not feel like it represents the team or my skills in the Tower. I misplayed in many battles, took a lot of risks and there were many close calls (I did not write down the details for any of them either). I think I won many battles which I didn’t deserve to win. That said, I can post the full team details if anyone wants to see them. I also saved and recorded my battle against Gold Anabel, I can upload it if anyone wants to see it. But it feels more like a testimony to how stupid and luck-based this streak was.

So that’s it for Single. While my Level 50 Single streak was the only important streak I had planned to complete in the Tower, I decided to continue with some other formats afterwards just for fun.
I like Single better than Double in Gen 3, but I prefer Double for Gen 4-8. I have never tried to make good teams for Double in Gen 3 and I haven’t played it much, so I am not very good at it. I remember that when I tried Double at the Emerald Tower in the past, it went terribly. I think I lost in round 1 and 2 on a few occasions. Despite that, I decided to give it another try now. Thankfully, it went much better than it ever did in the past.

I started with Level 50. I had an ongoing streak of 14 here, don’t remember when or how I got it. I put together a team of Salamence/Gyarados/Starmie/Blissey, which felt like it could work decently. Dual Flying-type leads meant that they could both Quake freely, and double Intimidate would make opposing Physical attackers deal considerably less damage. I got a streak of 45 wins with this team. Not super great but it was a new personal record for me in Gen 3 Doubles. I lost against a team of Slowbro/Exploud/Clefable/Dewgong. It was a pretty haxy battle, it involved stuff like Quick Claw, Attract and Sheer Cold. I might have been able to win if it wasn’t for all the hax, but things just didn’t go my way.

One thing I noticed with this team was that two Intimidate leads made opposing lead attackers considerably less likely to use Physical moves. Instead, they tended to use moves like Protect, Bulk Up, Counter and the like. So that’s interesting.

After that, I continued with Open Level Double as well. Here, I had an ongoing streak of 7. From my level 100 box, I put together a team of Heracross/Raikou/Swampert/Alakazam. Far from optimal, but it was the best I could come up with. To my own surprise, it went better than expected. I got to 59 wins, quite a bit longer than on Level 50. It wasn’t all easy though. I didn’t write any super detailed notes along the way, but it appears that almost every battle in round 7 was close. The loss battle in round 9 involved a Vaporeon and a Jynx with Quick Claw. I misplayed a bit and the opposing Jynx got lucky with Quick Claw, Attract and Lovely Kiss, leading to my loss. But I am still happy about this streak.

I don’t want either of these two streaks added to the leaderboards.

After these experiences, I feel that I can appreciate Gen 3 Doubles a lot more compared to in the past. Even with teams that were far from optimal, I enjoyed it and these new experiences with it were really great. However, I don’t think I will try Double at the Tower again in the future.
I am not a big fan of Multi as a format. As said in my last post, Super Multi is my least favorite facility format in Gen 5-7, the only reason I completed it in those generations was to get the Trophy/Stamp you get from beating it. I never tried Multi that much in Gen 3 (or 4). When I battled in Super Multi in Gen 5-7, I always used 2 games and 2 systems, so I haven’t tried Multi with AI partners that much either. I mostly used AI partners to unlock the Super lines in Gen 5-7, and even that wasn’t always easy (or fun). I remember that when I tried to unlock the Super Multi line in Black 2 with an AI partner, I had to make 3 tries because we lost twice before making it… On the whole, my experience with AI partners for Multi isn’t particularly positive. I never tried it that much in Gen 3-4 either, just a little. But now, I decided to try it again for “fun” (relatively speaking).

I started with Level 50. I had never tried this format before, so I did not have an ongoing streak. But nothing could stop me from starting one! It went way better than expected, so I actually want it to be added to the leaderboards. And I think green_typhlosion needs some company as he is the only one with streaks on the Multi leaderboards right now!

Format: Level 50, Multi with AI, retail cart

My team:

1650220179119.png

Salamence (F) @ Lum Berry ** Natalow
Level 50 stats: 169/205/95/108/90/152
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

1650220195281.png

Starmie @ Leftovers ** Zed
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Streak: 43

Picture proof:

Salamence is different compared to the one I have used on previous teams I have posted about here. This one is built as a Choice Bander, with both Rock Slide and Brick Break for coverage. However, I did not give it a Choice Band since I find it inconvenient and risky to be unable to switch between moves in Multi. So it got a Lum Berry for status protection instead. Starmie is the same as the one I used for Single. I gave it a Leftovers here since it was for once not taken by another team member!

As for the teams used by my AI partner, they varied with each round. I never wrote down the names of my AI partner aside from the one in the final round, and I only checked their exact Pokémon sets for the last two rounds. The reason being that I didn’t think I would get this far when I started on this streak.

I don’t know if you can “reroll” your partners by entering the partner selection room and then leaving without choosing a partner, or if doing that will reset your streak. I never tried it either.

Here's how it went for each round:

Round 1:
I had an apprentice with a team of Solrock/Golem, decided to go with him. All the others were trainers with weak Pokémon (like the opposing Pokémon you face in round 1). The partner I chose worked quite well (but after all, it was round 1), though it was annoying when his Solrock used Cosmic Power instead of attacking (maybe it is the ancestor to Martin’s Solrock in S/S?). And while Solarbeam was useful for taking down certain opponents, the charging turn slowed down things a bit. Levitate was nice though as it allowed Salamence to Earthquake freely.

An easy round overall, but it was expected since it was the first round.

Here, I also “learned” that the opposing Pokémon are all pulled from the pool of the first of the two opposing trainers. I know I have read about that somewhere in the past, now I got to experience it myself. It is a little weird but it makes it much easier to look up the opposing sets.

Round 2:
The partner I chose for Round 1 wasn’t around anymore, so I went with another one. I picked another apprentice, this one had a team of Mightyena/Swalot. It meant I couldn’t quake freely, but now I got dual Intimidate again! This also worked fairly well as long as the partner didn’t do anything stupid. Like using Taunt against a Crawdaunt with only attacking moves… which happened once. But my partner chose good moves most of the time.

This round was also easy, but that was expected since it was round 2 and still early.

Round 3:
Here, I went with the same apprentice as in Round 1, but now he had a Sandslash instead of Golem. Though that didn’t matter as he never had to use Sandslash. Just like in Round 1, Solrock was sometimes good, sometimes it went the Martin route and used Cosmic Power instead of doing something useful. It also used Explosion twice, but only to finish the battles as we had pretty much already won when it came down to that.

Like the first two, this round was easy.

Round 4:
For this round, I went with a regular NPC trainer instead of an apprentice. The one I went with had Ludicolo/Cradily, it felt like it could work (although I have a fear of Cradily). Ludicolo always started with Rain Dance, and it did some stupid things like using Fire Punch in the Rain. The Cradily sometimes used Barrier instead of attacking. So they weren’t as great as I had expected.

During this round, I somehow got to face the same two leads (and the same lead trainer too, I think), in battle 1 and 5.

I almost lost in battle 5 here. On turn 1, I switched to Starmie to tank an Ice Beam that was meant for Salamence, but Starmie also got hit by a Crit Faint Attack and fainted. Then I misplayed during turn 2 and lost Salamence as well, leaving me with just the AI partner left against all 4 opponents. We still won even if the AI did many stupid moves such as Cradily using Confuse Ray against the final opponent (a Cacturne) instead of trying to beat it with Rock Slide.

A similar thing happened in battle 6. I lost Salamence against a QC Delcatty on turn 1 (since when does Delcatty learn Ice Beam? I didn’t know it could, and 55 base Sp.att was apparently enough to beat Salamence). Then I lost Starmie against a Plusle as my partner Ludicolo decided to not use Surf on that turn. In the end, it was only Cradily left against another Cacturne, but we won this battle as well.

Overall, this round was much harder than the first three, but I somehow got through it in the end.

Round 5:
I picked a partner with Espeon/Vaporeon. Espeon would usually start with Calm Mind unless it could KO an opponent with Psychic, in which case it did that. In one battle here, my AI partner was very intelligent as she switched out on the last turn of a Perish Song which one opponent had used. One battle was also very funny. It involved an Arcanine and a Flareon. The Arcanine used Fire Blast on the Flareon to activate Flash Fire, but the Flareon knew no Fire-type moves, making it pointless!

This round went very well on the whole, it was much easier than round 4. I think my AI partner here was really great.

Round 6:
I picked a partner with Metagross-2 and Snorlax-2. A Metagross with Earthquake sounded good since it meant that it could Quake freely as long as I had Salamence out. In fact, it might almost have been too good since the Metagross would often use EQ even if one or both opponents were resistant to it.

I almost lost in battle 1 here. It was against multiple Water-types with Ice-type moves. I lost Salamence and Starmie due to misplay, only having the AI side left against one of the opposing sides. First was a Whiscash which Metagross beat, followed by a Wailord-2. Metagross just used EQ while the Wailord set up with Curse and Amnesia, using ChestoRest to heal itself when necessary. Once Metagross was out of PP for EQ, it started using Psych Up instead, probably because Meteor Mash was ineffective. The good thing was that it gained all the boosts the Wailord had gained, the bad being that it didn’t cause any damage. The Wailord eventually beat Metagross with Double-Edge, Snorlax was sent out to replace it. Snorlax used EQ, the Wailord used Double-Edge and took heavy recoil, Snorlax lived with a tiny bit of HP left. It used ChestoRest and tanked another Double-Edge. The Wailord took even more recoil and now had very little HP left, allowing Snorlax to KO it with EQ. This battle was extremely close and I really thought I would lose here.

Battle 4 was also quite scary, it was against more Water-types. But we made it. Starmie got frozen but thawed immediately, then it used Thunderbolt and managed to paralyze an opposing Blastoise. It got fully paralyzed instead of attacking, contributing to our victory.

Battle 7 was also close. Once again, it was against Water- and Ice-types. I lost Salamence on turn 1, then I used Starmie to clean up one of the opposing sides. A Milotic was left. Metagross kept using Meteor Mash since Starmie was out on the field (meaning it didn’t want to use EQ to KO Starmie), the Milotic survived and kept using Recover. It then beat Starmie with Mirror Coat and Metagross somehow decided to keep using Meteor Mash instead of shifting to Earthquake once Starmie had fainted. But it eventually used EQ to beat the Milotic. The last opposing Pokémon was a Kangaskhan. It beat Metagross but Snorlax saved the day. It set up a few Curses, used Rest at just the right moment and KO’d the Kanga with EQ.

Overall, this round was much harder than round 5. I really thought I would lose in the first battle here.

Round 7:
The losing round. My partner here was Pokémon Breeder Clare, she used Milotic-4 and Aggron-4.

Battle 1 was close… and weird. One of the opposing leads was a Forretress which got a QC activation, it used Explosion to instantly wipe out the entire field. The backups were Medicham and Quagsire. Medicham defeated Starmie, Aggron defeated Medicham, and Quagsire just used Amnesia which allowed Aggron to 2HKO it with Double-Edge.

I then lost in the second battle in this round. Video and battle summary below.

Battle summary:
Our opponents were Camper Armando and Swimmer Pedro. I took note of Armando since the opposing Pokémon would get picked from his roster.

They lead with Porygon2 and Miltank. Porygon2 traces Milotic’s Marvel Scale. Upon checking the list, I see that Porygon2 is a BoltBeam set with Brightpowder while Miltank has Curse and Double Team, not a very fun duo to face. I decide to get rid of P2 first since it is dangerous, so I let Salamence use Brick Break on it, but it misses! Miltank uses Double Team, P2 KO’s Sala with Ice Beam as expected, Milotic is useless as it uses Mirror Coat. At this point, it felt like we had already lost.

On turn 2, I let Starmie use Surf. It hits Miltank but misses against Porygon2. Miltank uses Curse, P2 KO’s Starmie with a Crit Thunderbolt, Milotic is useless with Mirror Coat once again. Only the AI side left against all four opponents now, not good at all. Miltank uses Curse, P2 uses Thunderbolt on Milotic which does around half, it reflects with Mirror Coat which does around 90% to the Porygon2. Milotic then uses Ice Beam to finally KO P2, Electabuzz is sent out to replace it. Miltank KO’s Milotic with Double-Edge. Aggron is sent out, only to be KO’d by a Crit Cross Chop from Electabuzz.

I’m not sure what I could have done to win this battle, if I could have done anything at tall. It would of course have helped if I had hit the P2 instead of missing against it, but chances are it would have survived a Brick Break and a Surf. Though, it would also have been better if my AI partner had used Surf instead of Mirror Coat on the first two turns, I guess she expected her Milotic to be hit by Thunderbolt. But the AI prioritized defeating my side of the field first. This was a quite annoying loss but I’m still happy about this streak since I got quite far in the end.

After this, I had one format left, which was Open Level Multi with AI. I had an ongoing streak of 14 since before, continued on it now. I entered with Raikou/Latios from my level 100 box and managed to get a streak of 46 wins. Here’s how it went:

Round 3:
I could choose my player character from Ruby as a partner, so I picked him. I guess you are able to pick player characters from other games if you have Mixed Records with them. I was able to pick my character from Sapphire for Level 50, but I did not since the team he had was terrible. As for my Ruby character, his (or rather my) team consisted of Gardevoir/Swampert, which seemed better than any of the alternatives. I know that the movesets and stats of these two Pokémon really suck (I am the one who raised them, after all), and I really dislike Gardevoir, but they still felt like the best choice here.

Battle 4 featured a lead Wobbuffet. Both of my partner Pokémon got defeated, but I set up with Raikou and swept.

Battle 5 involved an opposing Cacturne which spammed Teeter Dance even after everything had gotten confused, the battle then ended with another Wobbuffet which I also beat easily.

It was an easy round overall, but that was expected since it was the third round.

Round 4:
I did not pick my Ruby character again even if I could. Instead, I went with a regular NPC with Feraligatr/Snorlax. The Feraligatr would almost always start with Rain Dance in order to power up its Surf. It also had Roar, which ended up being surprisingly useful against an opposing Snorlax with Double Team. Gatr phazed out the Lax, resetting the Evasion boosts, allowing us to easily beat it once it got sent back in later.

Otherwise nothing notable happened in this round. There were some scary moments in the last two battles, but we won everything and it was an easy round in the end.

Round 5:
I picked a partner with Ursaring/Golduck. The Ursaring had a Quick Claw which activated several times, that was great to see. However, it would often use Counter in the wrong situations, like when we were up against two Special attackers. The Golduck once used Psych Up to get all the boosts from a Calm Mind/Double Team Gardevoir, that felt really great as well.

Battle 3 featured an Electrode with Double Team which was really annoying. It feels like every Pokémon in the Frontier has at least one set with Double Team.

This was another easy round on the whole.

Round 6:
For this round, I picked a partner with Heracross/Victreebel.

One very interesting thing I noticed here was that the gender of the AI partner’s Pokémon can change between battles. I only noticed this since my partner Victreebel had Attract. The Heracross and Victreebel were Male in some battles, Female in others. Really weird. I guess that the game resets some of the data for the partners before every battle, such as genders. Not sure if anything else that isn’t completely set (like the Ability) is affected by it as well. Either way, it was something I noticed.

Once more, the AI was smart enough to switch out on the last turn when an opposing Misdreavus had used Perish Song.

Heracross would often start with Bulk Up, but not always. Sadly, it felt like Megahorn missed a lot.

Battle 6 here was rather close as I only had Latios left against a CQ Slowking. But we still won in the end.

Other than that, this was another easy round.

Round 7:
Like on Level 50, this was the losing round. I chose a partner with Typhlosion/Espeon. None of the partners I could choose from felt super great, but I went with this one as I had had great success with Espeon as a partner in a previous round at level 50. It was a bit risky since having a team of only special attackers would cause trouble against opposing special walls like Blissey and Snorlax. Thankfully, it turned out that the Typhlosion was running a mixed set, but that was unfortunately not super helpful in the end. I also had CM on both Raikou and Latios so they could potentially get through special walls if they managed to set up fully. In theory, at least.

The first battle here was a little scary as a lead Swampert OHKO’d both Raikou and Typhlosion on turn 1, but it went easy after that.

Battle 2 was a similar situation against another Swampert. This battle became much closer as I only had Latios left in the end.

I lost in battle 47 against a team of Clefable/Ninetales + Snorlax/Arcanine. As expected, trouble against a special wall. Snorlax in this case. My side managed to take out the Clefable, but the Snorlax beat both Raikou and Latios, which meant that only the AI side was left. Typhlosion took down the Lax, but was defeated by the backups. They then managed to beat Espeon as well. Ninetales also haxed a bit with Attract/Confuse Ray, it might have gone easier if that hadn’t happened.

But I’m still happy about this streak, it went pretty well in the end. Despite getting a somewhat higher streak than on Level 50, I don’t want this added to the leaderboards. The team I used here just doesn’t feel as good as the team I used for Level 50. My Latios isn’t very good, at least not in my eyes.

And with that, I am done with Multi with an AI partner. The only format I haven’t tried in the Tower is Multi with a second game. But since I only have one copy of Emerald, I am unable to try it. I am not really interested in giving it a try either to be honest. I decided to check if it could be done with R/S, but upon going back to the Battle Tower in Sapphire to check, Multi doesn’t even exist in the R/S Tower. Nor does Double, for that matter. Only Single. I never thought of this before since I haven’t battled that much at the R/S Tower. It is odd how the games that introduced Double as a format doesn’t even feature it in their battle facility.

Multi with an AI partner in Emerald was okay in the end, I guess it is more fun when I’m just battling casually instead of having a goal of winning 49/50 battles in a row like I had in Gen 5/6/7. With that said, I don’t think I’ll ever try Multi in Emerald again.
So that’s my journey in the Tower. While I completed all of my ongoing streaks, I’m not really sure if I can consider myself done with it. My primary goal in the Frontier has always been to win all of the Gold Symbols, but I have also had a secondary goal of winning 100 battles in a row at the Tower so I can get the Gold Shield from Scott. But I’m not sure if that is ever going to happen. Definitely not right now, but maybe at some point in the future. I don’t know.

And for what it’s worth, this is my 500th post here on the forums! Here’s to 500 more… will it take another 11 years? Will it happen at all? Time will tell…

Anyway, that’s another facility done. On to the next one!

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, do you mind posting the exact formula that is used to calculate the rankings if you know it?
I believe the following information on Bulbapedia is correct, but with 'base stats' replaced by 'stats':

The tournament bracket is organized as follows:
  • Left Bracket: 1 vs 9, 13 vs 5, 8 vs 16, 12 vs 4
  • Right Bracket: 3 vs 11, 15 vs 7, 6 vs 14, 10 vs 2
Seedings are determined by their ranking: the sum of the combined base stat totals of all Pokémon, plus 1/20 of the product of the number of different types represented by the Pokémon and the highest level among the Pokémon. If two Trainers tie in ranking, the higher internal Trainer number will win the tiebreaker; the player will always win the tiebreaker against any CPU Trainer, while Dome Ace Tucker will win any tiebreaker against other CPU Trainers. In the event of a tie battle, the higher seed advances and the lower seed is eliminated.

Thank you! I think the way you linked to both my old and new teams is fine as it means that no information is missing. I noticed that you made a slight mistake with my Palace streak, you forgot to remove the *. Other than that, everything looks correct.
If this is the case, should some of the Factory streaks on the leaderboards be removed? Some users (myself included) have submitted Factory streaks which ended below 42 wins but we still got them included on the leaderboards. I think this was back when Golden Blissey was running the thread.
This is something that completely slipped from me. Those streaks were added back when Golden Blissey was running the thread but for the sake of consistency, I'll remove the streaks below the 42 minimum benchmark.

On a similar note, what are the requirements for getting on the leaderboards? Is it the required wins for the Gold Symbol for each facility? If so, does that apply to all formats, or just Single? This would be good to know, so I’m grateful for answers.
The minimum requirements to include a streak on the leaderboard are the same regardless of the format. If 70 wins is the minimum requirement for Singles, it will be the same for Doubles and Multis. Not many people play Doubles or Multis which is why I never had the need to expand on it, but I'll be sure to add more clarification that the minimum requirements will be the same on all permitted formats.

Just going to add a few thoughts on this team and while Dragonite and Milotic make a decent combination, you're using a PvP set with a bad nature where you are not even taking advantage of the "mixed" stats. If you're using Dragonite, even if it is for Open Level, I would recommend you to use Salamence instead. Dragonite on this generation is inferior to Salamence on almost every way: Salamence outclasses it with a higher Speed, a better ability on Intimidate and Salamence slightly edges it on physical damage. All Dragonite has over Salamence is a higher Special Defense which barely makes a difference since both have a x4 weakness to Ice anyways.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Dragon Dance Salamence because it is too hard pressed to get chances to sweep and unless you build a team around maximizing its chances of using DD, it's a mediocre mon as a standalone sweeper (you'll learn that most DD users are not really that good with the exception of Gyarados due to having a better typing). If you cannot RNG abuse for a base power 70 HP Flying, I would advice you to run a Choice Band set: Not only it allows you to run an extra coverage move that can be useful (Brick Break for Snorlax/Umbreon) but also it lets you use Aerial Ace viably which can be an asset against Double Team spammers now that you are not wasting a turn to set up anymore. You could probably use Dragonite on the same role but Salamence's Intimidate and higher Speed just makes it a more better choice since it sits at an extremely valuable Speed tier where you can speed tie with other Pokemon such as Charizard, Typhlosion and opposing Salamence.

Alakazam is the weakest link on this team and you're just wasting its potential as a "bulky CM" sweeper. Even as a glass cannon, Alakazam's biggest flaw as a special attacker is that it cannot kill what it cannot hit super-effectively and there's plenty of Pokemon on that category that can pretty much take Psychic + Tripunch coverage (think: Armaldo, Houndoom, Snorlax, Regice, Blissey). Even if you are considering to use Alakazam as a special attacker instead, it's not a good idea since your teammates do not provide any good defensive synergy between them. Who cover's Alakazam's weakness to Ghost or Dark? If you think Milotic is "bulky" enough, take into account that switching into neutral attacks is never a good idea as Milotic can lose against Pokemon like Houndoom with some luck since moves like Crunch have a 20% chance to lower Special Defense.

This is where I would suggest to run a Steel type. You're pretty much running an extremely basic core of Dragon + Water so what is exactly the point of using Alakazam for "creativity's" sake when you are not really improving your odds of winning? Creativity is only good when you're using it to maximize your chances on an efficient way, not just for the sake of being different. While it is hard to think of using Metagross outside the use of Choice Band, since Salamence will be running that item and since I am assuming you want to complete this challenge on Open Level, I would suggest using an Agility set: Agility fixes one of Metagross' most crippling issues which is its average Speed and after an Agility boost, you are out-speeding a good portion of threats and Arcanine cannot do shit because Clear Body blocks Intimidate. Metagross also contributes much more to the team in synergy as you gain another Ice switch-in, which puts less stress on your team in case that one of your switch-ins gets frozen on the act while giving you a Pokemon that deals much better with Lati@s.

I would recommend Explosion as one of the coverage moves because it lets you beat Curse Snorlax which is a Pokemon that Toxic Milotic will always fail to beat because some sets run Rest (including the Salon Maiden's set). Shadow Ball is an option but I think Explosion is the better move overall since it can save you on a pinch.

The only problem this team would have is the vulnerability to fast Electric types like Jolteon who can pretty much hax its way through the team but if the goal is just to hit Gold, the team I suggested you is fast enough to grind wins and within a couple of attempts, you should comfortably hit Gold and you got defense mechanisms to combat some of the "haxxy" stuff in Gen 3 (Aerial Ace for evasion, Explosion for Curse)

Salamence @ Choice Band
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA
Ability: Marvel Scale
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Toxic
- Recover
- Icy Wind / Ice Beam

Metagross @ Lum Berry
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Shadow Ball
- Meteor Mash
I took your advice and decided to begin using Salamence and Metagross. I must say, they are absolute monsters. Using this team, I’ve gotten silver at the Tower, Dome, and Pike. I’m trying to go for gold at the tower, but keep failing, mainly because of misplays tbh, but I’m having much greater success with this new team. Since I also learned how to properly IV train thanks to Anti-Speedrun, these Pokémon are much more powerful than my last set. Their stats are:

Salamence @ Choice Band
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spe
IVs: 30/31/14/14/5/31
Adamant Nature

-Earthquake
-Double Edge
-Rock Slide
-Aerial Ace

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4SpAtk
IVs: 31/21/11/28/27/27
Bold Nature

-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Toxic

Metagross @ Lum Berry
EVs: 168HP/252Atk/88Spe
IVS: 30/31/28/8/25/31
Adamant Nature

-Meteor Mash
-Shadow Ball
-Earthquake
-Agility

I’m thinking about switching out Milotic’s Ice Beam for Mirror Coat, and Salamence’s Double Edge for Brick Break, although I’m still not sure if it’s a good idea to do that. I would absolutely love to teach Metagross Explosion, but I already used the tutor ages ago. Is there any other way to learn Explosion?

I’ve seen that there exists a resource that provides the data of all the Trainer sets in the Tower but I can’t seem to find it. Is that buried somewhere in this thread?

Last edited:
I’ve seen that there exists a resource that provides the data of all the Trainer sets in the Tower but I can’t seem to find it. Is that buried somewhere in this thread?
There are at least two different versions of this. The first one is Hozu’s spreadsheet. It has two tabs, "Pokémon" lists all the Pokémon you can encounter as opponents in the Frontier and the details for them, while "Trainers" lists all Trainers you can encounter in the Frontier and which Pokémon they can have.

The other option (which I personally prefer) is Bulbapedia. Like Hozu's spreadsheet, there is a list of Battle Frontier Pokémon and a list of Battle Frontier trainers. If you use the trainer list, you can also see all the sets the trainer in question can use (as well as all the details for their Pokémon) if you click on the name of the trainer. So if you are facing Youngster Brady, clicking on "Brady" will take you to a page showing all the Pokémon he can have.

Edit: Forgot that I was going to reply to another thing as well.
The minimum requirements to include a streak on the leaderboard are the same regardless of the format. If 70 wins is the minimum requirement for Singles, it will be the same for Doubles and Multis. Not many people play Doubles or Multis which is why I never had the need to expand on it, but I'll be sure to add more clarification that the minimum requirements will be the same on all permitted formats.
Thanks for clarifying. I assumed that this was the case, now I know. This means that my Multi streak at the Tower won't be added to the leaderboards, but that's okay.

Last edited:
I took your advice and decided to begin using Salamence and Metagross. I must say, they are absolute monsters. Using this team, I’ve gotten silver at the Tower, Dome, and Pike. I’m trying to go for gold at the tower, but keep failing, mainly because of misplays tbh, but I’m having much greater success with this new team. Since I also learned how to properly IV train thanks to Anti-Speedrun, these Pokémon are much more powerful than my last set. Their stats are:

Salamence @ Choice Band
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spe
IVs: 30/31/14/14/5/31
Adamant Nature

-Earthquake
-Double Edge
-Rock Slide
-Aerial Ace

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4SpAtk
IVs: 31/21/11/28/27/27
Bold Nature

-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Recover
-Toxic

Metagross @ Lum Berry
EVs: 168HP/252Atk/88Spe
IVS: 30/31/28/8/25/31
Adamant Nature

-Meteor Mash
-Shadow Ball
-Earthquake
-Agility

I’m thinking about switching out Milotic’s Ice Beam for Mirror Coat, and Salamence’s Double Edge for Brick Break, although I’m still not sure if it’s a good idea to do that. I would absolutely love to teach Metagross Explosion, but I already used the tutor ages ago. Is there any other way to learn Explosion?

Heya, I'm glad the suggestions have been working out and you're having a blast clearing everything on Frontier. I also have some additional advice to give you on this team. Consider dropping Double Edge on Salamence and replace it with another move: reason why you want to do this is because while Double Edge is a strong move, it contributes nothing in terms of coverage and non-STAB Normal is not really a good move to be locked into unless you are a Guts user with Facade. I've always left the 4th slot up to personal preference but you can use Brick Break to hit Pokemon like Snorlax and Umbreon harder since you are already using Aerial Ace on Salamence. Flamethrower is also a decent move as it will allow you to 2HKO Forretress and Scizor assuming you're running issues with them, although it is quite limited on use. Double Edge is not a bad option, but I would consider other moves on its place.

On Milotic, considering that the team has no Electric resist, it seems that this team will be eaten alive by fast Electric types like Manectric and Jolteon. You should consider Mirror Coat to deal with these threats and at least being able to retaliate and knock them out with the move. Icy Wind might also help as it provides Speed control which is crucial to keep Pokemon like Gengar and Starmie in check allowing the other two team members outspeed them after a drop.

Heya, I'm glad the suggestions have been working out and you're having a blast clearing everything on Frontier. I also have some additional advice to give you on this team. Consider dropping Double Edge on Salamence and replace it with another move: reason why you want to do this is because while Double Edge is a strong move, it contributes nothing in terms of coverage and non-STAB Normal is not really a good move to be locked into unless you are a Guts user with Facade. I've always left the 4th slot up to personal preference but you can use Brick Break to hit Pokemon like Snorlax and Umbreon harder since you are already using Aerial Ace on Salamence. Flamethrower is also a decent move as it will allow you to 2HKO Forretress and Scizor assuming you're running issues with them, although it is quite limited on use. Double Edge is not a bad option, but I would consider other moves on its place.

On Milotic, considering that the team has no Electric resist, it seems that this team will be eaten alive by fast Electric types like Manectric and Jolteon. You should consider Mirror Coat to deal with these threats and at least being able to retaliate and knock them out with the move. Icy Wind might also help as it provides Speed control which is crucial to keep Pokemon like Gengar and Starmie in check allowing the other two team members outspeed them after a drop.
Fast electric types definitely cause some problems for this team. One thing I have going for me is that both Salamence and Metagross carry Earthquake, and can tank a thunderbolt and OHKO the opponent. However, this is really only a safe thing to do if Metagross is on the field when the electric type comes out.

If Milotic is out and the opponent sends Jolteon/Manetric, I pretty much have to switch if I don’t want to lose Milotic. Salamence is not a preferable switch option, since he cannot afford to get paralyzed and has a Choice Band, unlike Metagross who has a Lum Berry. Metagross is generally much bulkier than Salamence and can take the hits better as well. Despite this, switching to Metagross is still a big risk as STAB Thunderbolt does huge damage to him. What I frequently end up doing is just letting Milotic faint in this situation so I can put in Metagross, who will tank any Thunderbolt, be cured of paralysis should it trigger, and OHKO with Earthquake. Obviously this not exactly a great strategy since it opens up opportunities for the opponent to get crits and I potentially have to sacrifice Milotic, which is very bad. Having mirror coat on Milotic would be a huge benefit to get around this big shortcoming that the team has.

One concern I have about this, is how effectively will this team be able to handle Dragon types if I replace Ice Beam with Mirror Coat? Opposing Dragonite/Salamence/Flygon can be quite dangerous for my Salamence and Metagross, since their sets so often carry moves that hit both of them super effectively. I lead with Salamence, and my usual strategy against them is to switch to Milotic once the opponent sends out their own Dragon type, in anticipation of an Ice Beam or Dragon Claw. Milotic easily tanks these attacks and destroys them with Ice Beam. I fear that i won’t have much to threaten them with without the Ice type attack.

I also managed to finally get gold in the Battle Tower as well, using the team I listed above. I’m currently on a streak of 105 victories in Open-Level, and I’m trying to see how far this team can take me.

Fast electric types definitely cause some problems for this team. One thing I have going for me is that both Salamence and Metagross carry Earthquake, and can tank a thunderbolt and OHKO the opponent. However, this is really only a safe thing to do if Metagross is on the field when the electric type comes out.

If Milotic is out and the opponent sends Jolteon/Manetric, I pretty much have to switch if I don’t want to lose Milotic. Salamence is not a preferable switch option, since he cannot afford to get paralyzed and has a Choice Band, unlike Metagross who has a Lum Berry. Metagross is generally much bulkier than Salamence and can take the hits better as well. Despite this, switching to Metagross is still a big risk as STAB Thunderbolt does huge damage to him. What I frequently end up doing is just letting Milotic faint in this situation so I can put in Metagross, who will tank any Thunderbolt, be cured of paralysis should it trigger, and OHKO with Earthquake. Obviously this not exactly a great strategy since it opens up opportunities for the opponent to get crits and I potentially have to sacrifice Milotic, which is very bad. Having mirror coat on Milotic would be a huge benefit to get around this big shortcoming that the team has.

One concern I have about this, is how effectively will this team be able to handle Dragon types if I replace Ice Beam with Mirror Coat? Opposing Dragonite/Salamence/Flygon can be quite dangerous for my Salamence and Metagross, since their sets so often carry moves that hit both of them super effectively. I lead with Salamence, and my usual strategy against them is to switch to Milotic once the opponent sends out their own Dragon type, in anticipation of an Ice Beam or Dragon Claw. Milotic easily tanks these attacks and destroys them with Ice Beam. I fear that i won’t have much to threaten them with without the Ice type attack.

I also managed to finally get gold in the Battle Tower as well, using the team I listed above. I’m currently on a streak of 105 victories in Open-Level, and I’m trying to see how far this team can take me.
My suggestion was more on the lines of Icy Wind replacing Ice Beam, sorry if I did not clarify that. Mirror Coat can also replace Toxic but my 2nd suggestion is more of a optional one. Icy Wind still gives you coverage but comes with the benefit of dropping Speed of faster Pokemon such as Starmie, Gengar, Manectric, Jolteon, etc. Additionally, I think Blissey over Metagross might push the team even further. Just dropping some thoughts over here!

My suggestion was more on the lines of Icy Wind replacing Ice Beam, sorry if I did not clarify that. Mirror Coat can also replace Toxic but my 2nd suggestion is more of a optional one. Icy Wind still gives you coverage but comes with the benefit of dropping Speed of faster Pokemon such as Starmie, Gengar, Manectric, Jolteon, etc. Additionally, I think Blissey over Metagross might push the team even further. Just dropping some thoughts over here!
Gotcha. I’m still pretty new to this so I appreciate any insight you may have, thank you:)

Hello hello! New user here, and I was wondering if anyone had some time to give feedback/critique a team I'm currently using for the Battle Frontier at the moment. Ever since I got into trying to make my Swampert a Ribbon Master, the Battle Tower was one I knew I needed to go for in order to complete Gen 3's ribbons (The Lvl. 50 ribbon I had to forgo since this Swampert is my starter that I used for the story), and I've frankly...not had the best luck in trying to take down the Tower. I almost always get KO'd around the 27/32nd fight, and it's something I want to change so I can at the very least hit a solid 100 (might as well get some SB stuff while here, right?), then I can migrate them over for the next Gen's Frontier.

As of right now, my current team is as follows:

Lot (Swampert) @ Leftovers
IVs:14/5/20/22/2/9
EVs: 204HP/136Atk/76SpA/2SpD/92Spe
Impish Nature

-Earthquake
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Toxic

Crescent (Salamence) @ Cheri Berry
IVs:4/31/31/26/26/10
EVs:6HP/252Atk/252Spe
Adamant Nature

-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-Aerial Ace

See (Metagross) @ Lum Berry
IVs:22/31/29/31/28/17
EVs:44HP/252Atk/4Def/4Spd/204Spe
Quirky Nature

-Meteor Mash
-Explosion
-Earthquake
-Agility

I can tell right off the bat that these are not really the best natures & items for the team to be using, which is mainly from me not having them as of yet, specifically for Choice Band on Salamence. This build was based off Kommo-o's suggestion to Snibbor a few posts above, granted utilizing Swampert as my Special/Physical semi-tank in place of Milotic. Toxic was also there and replaced Protect, as another way to hit a DTer in the event Salamence was knocked out (Counter is definitely an issue for me), though I would not object to putting it back on if there is a way to avoid any issues with stalling walls such as the Chansey family and one set of Meganium in the Tower.

Any advice/criticism here would be most appreciated, that way I can progress out of Gen 3, and finally into Gen 4, since I've been in this generation for the last few months or so. Thanks once in advance for any and all help!

Hello hello! New user here, and I was wondering if anyone had some time to give feedback/critique a team I'm currently using for the Battle Frontier at the moment. Ever since I got into trying to make my Swampert a Ribbon Master, the Battle Tower was one I knew I needed to go for in order to complete Gen 3's ribbons (The Lvl. 50 ribbon I had to forgo since this Swampert is my starter that I used for the story), and I've frankly...not had the best luck in trying to take down the Tower. I almost always get KO'd around the 27/32nd fight, and it's something I want to change so I can at the very least hit a solid 100 (might as well get some SB stuff while here, right?), then I can migrate them over for the next Gen's Frontier.

As of right now, my current team is as follows:

Lot (Swampert) @ Leftovers
IVs:14/5/20/22/2/9
EVs: 204HP/136Atk/76SpA/2SpD/92Spe
Impish Nature

-Earthquake
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Toxic

Crescent (Salamence) @ Cheri Berry
IVs:4/31/31/26/26/10
EVs:6HP/252Atk/252Spe
Adamant Nature

-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-Aerial Ace

See (Metagross) @ Lum Berry
IVs:22/31/29/31/28/17
EVs:44HP/252Atk/4Def/4Spd/204Spe
Quirky Nature

-Meteor Mash
-Explosion
-Earthquake
-Agility

I can tell right off the bat that these are not really the best natures & items for the team to be using, which is mainly from me not having them as of yet, specifically for Choice Band on Salamence. This build was based off Kommo-o's suggestion to Snibbor a few posts above, granted utilizing Swampert as my Special/Physical semi-tank in place of Milotic. Toxic was also there and replaced Protect, as another way to hit a DTer in the event Salamence was knocked out (Counter is definitely an issue for me), though I would not object to putting it back on if there is a way to avoid any issues with stalling walls such as the Chansey family and one set of Meganium in the Tower.

Any advice/criticism here would be most appreciated, that way I can progress out of Gen 3, and finally into Gen 4, since I've been in this generation for the last few months or so. Thanks once in advance for any and all help!
The big problem with this team is that while your defensive synergy is decent (Water/Dragon/Steel core) your offensive power is not. You are using three physical attackers with non-ideal natures and IVs without any of your team members being capable of taking Water attacks nor being able to hit them super-effectively. Starmie walks through this team considering that none of your teammates can hit it super-effectively and with a critical hit, it can easily dispatch Swampert who is not resistant to Water. There is also the fact that you are using Salamence without a boosting move (Dragon Dance) or an item (Choice Band) while Metagross is running Agility without coverage against Ghost types such as Gengar. The team is very vulnerable to strong Special attackers such as Lati@s, Alakazam and Starmie.

The first improvement would be replacing Metagross with Blissey. You will need a sturdy special wall that can take hits from these threats while also tanking hits from Water types. Make sure you breed for a Bold nature because you will need to tank as much Defense as possible. It should also free the Toxic slot on Swampert and you can probably run another move such as Protect. Please be sure to make enough BP for a Choice Band because you will need it for Salamence ASAP. Also Salamence and Blissey synergize nicely because Salamence gains access to Intimidate while Blissey can sponge all Ice Beams aimed at Salamence and swap out with Natural Care if necessary.

I think this should be enough for you to break for 70 wins. As an additional advice, learn RNG abuse because it will make it easier for you to obtain Pokemon with high IVs. We do have a post on the forums where you can get links to most RNG resources.

I saw Jumpman’s great post in the BD/SP Tower thread recently… and that made me lose a bit of motivation for writing this. Because his post was so darn cool. And I want my posts to be cool as well. But I am not Jumpman, and I do not have a streak that is the new #1 on the leaderboards for the format and facility in question (not to mention 142 wins above the previous #1). So there’s no way I can make such a post.

But I still have Faith :Shedinja: in Zed :Starmie: and I’m sure Liza :Slaking: will Set :Heracross: Brutus :Salamence: free.

Have a regular post below.

After the Tower, I decided to continue with the Dome. It is one of my two favorite facilities in Emerald, I love how strategy-based it is. I also appreciate how fast it goes to complete a round here since every round only consists of 4 battles, and all battles are 2 vs 2.

For once, I have a streak on Emerald which I am actually very satisfied with. My return to the Dome went way better than expected.

Battle Dome
I had an ongoing streak of 15 since before. I had originally stopped after beating Gold Tucker, then gone back a few years later and beaten 5 more rounds, which meant I had gotten to face Gold Tucker once more in a rematch. I had also completed a total of 46 tournaments in the past. According to my notes (and my memory, though isn’t as clear anymore), it took me 8 attempts to just reach Gold Tucker for the first time, so it isn’t too surprising that I have completed this many tournaments.

Format: Level 50, Single, retail cart

Team:

I have posted it before, but here is the team again, now with a name! I have named it Team Bridge. It consists of four (or five) Pokémon. How is this possible when the Battle Dome only allows you to enter with three?

The simple answer is that which Pokémon I used varied depending on the round.

Round 1-5: Salamence/Starmie/Heracross
Round 6-15: Slaking/Starmie/Heracross
Round 16 and on: Slaking/Starmie/Salamence
In every Gold Tucker round starting from round 10: Slaking/Starmie/Shedinja

Details for these five Pokémon:

1652618680479.png

Slaking (F) @ Choice Band ** Liza
IVs: Flawless Att / Def / Spd
Level 50 stats: 221/233/120/99/75/152
- Return
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam (previously Aerial Ace)

1652618709168.png

Starmie @ Petaya Berry ** Zed
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

1652618697691.png

Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry ** Brutus
Level 50 stats: 169/205/87/106/93/152
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

1652618722860.png

Heracross (M) @ Salac Berry ** Set
Ability: Swarm
Level 50 stats: 144/194/88/48/113/137
- Megahorn
- Reversal
- Rock Slide
- Endure

1652618736078.png

Shedinja @ Lum Berry ** Faith
Ability: Wonder Guard
IVs: Flawless Attack
EVs: 252 Att / 6 Sp.att / 252 Spd
Level 50 stats: 1/156/54/37/35/90
Nature: Lonely
- Shadow Ball
- Silver Wind
- Protect (previously Return)
- Swords Dance

Streak: 55

Picture proof:
As said, I love the Battle Dome because it focuses a lot on strategy. My strategy for the Dome has always been to check which 3 Pokémon my opponent is using, then pick the two of my own that have the best matchup against all the three opposing ones. I also make sure to lead with the one that has the best matchup against all of the three opponents. This worked in the past and it worked just as well now. I guess this is more or less the standard strategy to use at the Dome, at least that’s what it feels like to me.

Now that I look up opposing sets, it makes things even easier since I can see the exact details for the opposing team in many cases. Or if they have multiple sets for the species, I can often get an idea of which one(s) they are going with based on the moves they have used in the tourney tree (except for in the first battle). Like for the Tower, I looked up opposing sets on Bulbapedia as I was playing. I also tried to use Actaeon’s Dome Assistant, but I couldn’t get it to work. Still, the info I got from Bulbapedia’s list and the trainer info in the game was often enough. I also used turskain’s damage calculator in some situations, when I wanted to know how much damage I was going to deal/take or which move was the best for a specific situation.

The Dome is a bit weird in how all opponents only have 3 IVs in all stats. I guess it is another of the many programming flaws/mistakes/glitches in Emerald. But it only makes things easier, so that’s great.

Next, the team. I have talked about Starmie and Salamence before. Starmie is just the standard SPIT set, I found STAB Surf to be extremely useful in many situations here. I could have let it hold a Leftovers but I decided to stick with Petaya since Starmie isn’t exactly a defensive Pokémon. I guess Latios would be better, but since I don’t have a Latios with good IVs/Nature on Gen 3, I’m going with Starmie.

Salamence is the standard DD set. I used Slaking instead of Salamence most of the time but Dragon Dance and Aerial Ace were very useful in some situations. Dragon Dance could be used to set up (but that rarely happened) while Aerial Ace was useful against Evasion boosters.

In the past, I used Heracross as the third member of the team. But now, I decided to go with Salamence. I’m not sure which is the better choice. It feels like I use Slaking/Starmie most of time, but having an optimal third Pokémon would still be great. If I had used Heracross, it would have given me an easier time against Normal-types, as well as helping against several other types. But Salamence is great against opposing Fighting-types, while also helping against many other types, so I’m not really sure. I didn’t use Salamence a lot, but there were some situations where it was extremely useful.

In the end, I’m not sure what the perfect third Pokémon would be. While playing, I noticed that my team has a pretty huge weakness to the Timid Jolteon set. It has maxed Speed which means that it can outrun and potentially rip apart my whole team. It can paralyze with TWave, Flinch with King’s Rock and Bite, OHKO Starmie with TBolt and OHKO Slaking/Salamence as well if it gets a Crit. This Jolteon is especially bad if it is paired with something I must bring Starmie for. Because of that, I was thinking about adding a Ground-type as the third member of the team. I have trained Steelix, Rhydon and Camerupt for level 50 at the Frontier, don’t know if any of them would be great though. Steelix spontaneously feels like it would be the best choice but I’m not sure.

As for Heracross, it is a standard EndRev set. I won’t talk about it much since I didn’t use it at all this time around, not sure how much I used it in the past either.

Slaking is a standard CB set. It has served me well in the Frontier. It was a member of the teams that got me the Gold Symbols at not only the Dome, but also the Pyramid and the Pike. Return is the main STAB move, I never considered Double-Edge. I can see the higher base power having some merits, but it feels like the recoil can be really nasty. EQ and Shadow Ball are the obvious coverage moves, they help against Rock/Steel/Fire/Poison/Electric- and Psychic/Ghost-types, respectively. Previously, I had Aerial Ace in the last slot, but I changed it to Hyper Beam before continuing on the streak now. I’m not sure if I ever used Aerial Ace in the past. The reason I chose it was to be able to hit Evasion boosters, but I never really got into any situations where I had to use it.

Hyper Beam is much stronger than Return but it comes at the cost of being unable to switch out on the recharge turn. I used Return most of the time, Hyper Beam was mostly used against bulky opponents which I wasn’t sure if I would be able to KO with Return. As a random bonus, I once managed to OHKO a Steelix with a Crit Hyper Beam! That was really cool. I also lost this streak because Hyper Beam missed against a target I would have OHKO’d with Return anyway… but we’ll get to that later.

Lastly, there’s Shedinja. I only used it in the rounds where Gold Tucker appears (every fifth round starting from round 10). As I guess most people know, it auto-wins against Gold Tucker since none of his team members have any moves that can damage it. In fact, the sole reason I trained this Shedinja for the Frontier was to use it to beat Gold Tucker. It served that purpose in the past, and it still does now, 16 years later. I had originally not intended to use Shedinja for anything else than Tucker, but now, I used it in a few other battles as well. I used atsync’s list of Shedinja matchups in the Dome as a reference for when to use it and not.

Shadow Ball and Silver Wind are the obvious STAB moves, though I pretty much only ever used Shadow Ball. It originally had Return in the third slot, but after round 25, I changed it to Protect. I realized that Protect lets Shedinja completely wall any opposing Slaking, thus adding Slaking to the list of targets that are walled. Using Protect against Slaking basically turns Shedinja into a prototype TruAnt! Though that isn’t really unique to Shedinja as it happens for every setup sweeper with Protect. Running Protect also allows Shedinja to scout opposing sets. I never used Return in the past and the only reason I went with it was because Shedinja doesn’t really have a lot of other options. But I am convinced that Protect is the better choice. Only other options I can think of are Toxic as atsync mentioned, though I’d rather set up and sweep. Maybe Aerial Ace could work as well, it can help against Evasion boosters but like Return, it doesn’t really offer any useful coverage. So I think Protect is the best.

It holds a Lum Berry, and I think that is the best item choice for Shedinja. In the past, I just slapped Lum on it because I couldn’t think of anything better. But now I realize that it actually has some value as it allows Shedinja to get hit by any status once and still survive, which is great.

In the past, I had listed my Shedinja as Adamant, but now that I actually looked at it in my game, it turns out that it was Lonely. Though that doesn’t really matter since Shedinja doesn’t need Defenses, a Lonely or Naughty Nature works just as well as Adamant. It has maxed EVs in Attack and Speed since it doesn’t need any other stats. My Shedinja only has a Flawless IV in Attack since I never thought I’d use it for anything outside of the Gold Tucker battle back when I trained it, I couldn’t be bothered to breed for Flawless Speed as well. My Shedinja has a Speed stat of 90, it would have been 92 if it was Flawless so it is not a super huge difference. However, a Flawless Speed IV would have allowed it to outrun the following mons at the Dome: Articuno-2, Articuno-3, Articuno-4, Golduck-3, Heracross-1, Kingdra-1, Kingdra-2, Kingdra-3, Kingdra-4, Misdreavus-1, Misdreavus-2, Misdreavus-3, Nidoking-1, Nidoking-2, Nidoking-3, Nidoking-4 and Suicune-2. Credit to Adedede for the Level 50 Dome Speed tiers.

I decided to take a look at these sets and see how much of a difference it would have made with a Flawless Speed IV:
- Articuno-4 is walled. Set 2 will KO if it uses Toxic twice, it also has a chance to survive a +6 Shadow Ball. Set 3 can KO with Aerial Ace and requires me to get to at least +4 to OHKO it with Shadow Ball
- Golduck-3 is walled
- Heracross-1 can KO with Rock Tomb, it requires +4 or more to be OHKO’d by Shadow Ball
- All Kingdra sets are walled
- Misdreavus-1 requires me to get to +2 in order to OHKO, it can KO Shedinja with Shadow Ball. Sets 2 and 3 also require +2 to be safely OHKO’d (though an unboosted Shadow Ball has a 6.3% chance to OHKO set 2), they can potentially KO if they use Confuse Ray twice
- Nidoking-1/4 are walled, set 2/3 both require +4 or higher to be OHKO’d
- Suicune-2 survives a +6 Shadow Ball and will KO me if it uses Toxic twice

A Flawless Speed IV would obviously have been preferable, but I don’t think it makes too much of a difference here.

So that’s the team. One more thing I should mention regarding my strategy is that I prefer to lead with Slaking if I choose to go with it in a battle. Slaking can usually defeat the opposing lead, then I can either let it stay in and loaf or switch out for the backup. Having Slaking as a backup feels worse than having it as a lead. If I have Slaking as the backup and my lead faints against the first opponent, it forces Slaking to be locked into one move for the rest of the battle. This can be really bad if I am up against a team which requires it to be able to switch between at least 2 different moves. But even so, I still used Slaking as a backup in some situations where Starmie or Salamence felt like the better choice for a lead.
When I resumed this streak, I hoped I would be able to make it to at least the end of round 20 so I could have another rematch against Gold Tucker. To my own surprise, I made it much further and got to rebattle him several times.

I decided to do a live recording of my rematch against Gold Tucker at the end of round 20, check it out below:

Shedinja breaks Gold Tucker even harder than TruAnt breaks the Subway. Plus, beating him this way is just so much fun! It is yet another reason as for why I love the Dome.

According to my old notes, Tucker used Swampert and Metagross when I faced him at the end of round 15. He used these two at the end of round 20 too, as well as on every subsequent round where I faced him. I don’t know what he used when I originally faced him in round 10 back in the distant past, but I guess it was Swampert and Metagross then as well. As others have noted, he seems to always pick the same two Pokémon when you face him with a specific team.

I always auto-won against Tucker, but there were some scary and/or close battles along the way. I often found myself hoping that my opponent wouldn’t choose a specific Pokémon of their three, or that they wouldn’t have a specific one as their backup, or that their hax item wouldn’t activate (if they had one).

I wrote some short notes from the early battles. One battle involved a lead Rhydon which got a QC activation and used EQ, Starmie thankfully survived and could KO with Surf. Petaya also activated, which allowed me to nuke the second Pokémon even harder. Another battle was against a duo of Regirock/Registeel. I didn’t write down any details but it was apparently a bit scary.

Starting from round 24, I decided to write logs for every battle. Not super detailed, just some short summaries of how things went. Which opponent I faced, their Pokémon, which Pokémon I chose against them, and how the battle went.

I decided to upload them on a separate page since including them here in the forum post would ruin the format and fixing it would take too long. The logs can be found here. If the link doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll fix it.

I know that I took risks in some battles and I misplayed at some points too, but I still won all those battles even if some were close and/or scary.

Regarding the numbers for opposing Pokémon, I went by their order in Bulbapedia’s list. So for instance, the 7th Lapras in Bulbapedia’s order is what I have called Lapras-7. I noticed that turskain’s damage calculator seems to have a different order compared to Bulbapedia, that’s why I’m mentioning this.

I got very far, much farther than expected. But I lost in the second battle in Round 56. I forgot to save the Battle Video because I had gotten so used to not saving the video after beating a round so I just autopiloted into “no” and realized the mistake too late. A summary of the battle is all I have to offer this time around.

My opponent was this:

Swimmer Elaine. She has a team of Dewgong/Milotic/Swampert, all three have specific sets which means I know exactly what they run. All three know Ice Beam, which means I am definitely leaving Salamence out of this battle. Too bad this wasn’t a Gold Tucker round as Shedinja walls all three of the opposing sets. Anyway, I entered with Slaking/Starmie. It seemed like this would be an easy win, but things don’t always go as expected.

She leads with Swampert. Since I know that Swampert is a rather bulky Pokémon, I go for Hyper Beam. If I had actually looked at the set specifics, I would have learned that this one doesn’t have any EVs in HP or Defenses. And if I had run a damage calc, I would have learned that Return would have been a guaranteed KO. Anyway, I use Hyper Beam, and it misses! The Swampert uses Surf which brings Slaking to 109 HP. Not a good start.

I realize that Slaking is guaranteed to get KO’d on the next round if I let it stay in, so I switch it out for Starmie. The Swampert goes for Surf again, bringing Starmie to 84 HP. I know I won’t KO with Surf, but I have no other choice. Surf does around 70%, the Swampert KO’s Starmie with EQ and recovers a little with Shell Bell. Now I am in a very bad situation.

I send Slaking back in. Return for a safe KO, but I am damaged and forced to loaf on the next turn, my opponent also has one Pokémon left. Dewgong or Milotic, doesn’t really matter which of them. It is Milotic. Slaking loafs, Milotic uses Surf for a solid KO. Streak over.

Battle 2
Swimmer Elaine
Dewgong/Milotic/Swampert, specific sets

Slaking/Starmie
Lead Pert, Hyper Beam MISS! Surf brings me to 109 HP
Switch to Starmie, Surf brings it to 84 HP
I Surf for around 70%, EQ OHKO, Shell Bell restores HP
Slaking, Return KO
Next Milotic, loaf, Surf KO
RIP streak

What went wrong? Hyper Beam missing, of course! I should have gone for Return instead. Doing a damage calc afterwards showed me that I had a clear OHKO with Return, there was no need for Hyper Beam. If I had gone for Return, I would have beaten the Swampert and then had both Slaking and Starmie left against the Milotic, which should have allowed me to beat it with Return/TBolt.

This was a really stupid and embarrassing loss. I always thought that when I would lose this streak, it would be to hax, a bad matchup, or against the Timid Jolteon. Instead, I lost to misplay and Hyper Beam missing. I was also quite tired when I played this round, it was somewhat late and I didn’t really have the time for it, but I still decided to play at least one round. Guess I shouldn’t have done that.

As for Elaine, she ended up making it all the way to the finals, where she lost against Joyce, another Swimmer.

So that’s how it went. While I am a bit disappointed in my stupid loss, I am at the same time very happy about the fact that I made it this far. And now that I have lost, I can move on to other things.
After battling so much at the Dome, I do for the first time ever have a total of 1000 BP at once on Emerald.

I have won a total of 2324 BP according to my Trainer Card, but I have never had more than 1000 at once before. In the past, I would usually spend the BP I gained ASAP, usually on MT moves for Pokémon I was training. But now I don’t know if I’ll ever spend those on anything since I have currently no plans to train anything new on Emerald, or on Gen 3 in general.

One last observation which I find very interesting about the Dome is that the music changes when you enter the inside part of the facility.

It adds an extra layer to the track, making it sound a bit more serious and intense compared to the theme in the outside area. I think the inside music is much better.
So that’s it for my first completed streak at the Battle Dome. It went surprisingly well. I almost can’t believe I made it this far. For once, the streak I actually wanted to go well also went well!

Of all the important ongoing streaks I had that I have continued on so far this year, this is definitely my best one so far. I’m really happy about it. It is funny how well this went when it took me 8 tries to even reach Gold Tucker for the first time back in 2006.

This is easily my best streak so far in Emerald (and Gen 3 in general), and in terms of battles, it is even among my personal best streaks ever. 55 rounds + 1 more battle means that I have won a total of 221 battles! In terms of total battles won, it is my 9th best battle facility streak ever. Or my 7th best if we don’t include my streaks at the Battle Tower in Sword.

So yeah, that’s it for Level 50 Single at the Dome. Next up, I am going to complete my streaks at the other formats as well, so I am not done with the Dome yet.

Last edited:
The big problem with this team is that while your defensive synergy is decent (Water/Dragon/Steel core) your offensive power is not. You are using three physical attackers with non-ideal natures and IVs without any of your team members being capable of taking Water attacks nor being able to hit them super-effectively. Starmie walks through this team considering that none of your teammates can hit it super-effectively and with a critical hit, it can easily dispatch Swampert who is not resistant to Water. There is also the fact that you are using Salamence without a boosting move (Dragon Dance) or an item (Choice Band) while Metagross is running Agility without coverage against Ghost types such as Gengar. The team is very vulnerable to strong Special attackers such as Lati@s, Alakazam and Starmie.

The first improvement would be replacing Metagross with Blissey. You will need a sturdy special wall that can take hits from these threats while also tanking hits from Water types. Make sure you breed for a Bold nature because you will need to tank as much Defense as possible. It should also free the Toxic slot on Swampert and you can probably run another move such as Protect. Please be sure to make enough BP for a Choice Band because you will need it for Salamence ASAP. Also Salamence and Blissey synergize nicely because Salamence gains access to Intimidate while Blissey can sponge all Ice Beams aimed at Salamence and swap out with Natural Care if necessary.

I think this should be enough for you to break for 70 wins. As an additional advice, learn RNG abuse because it will make it easier for you to obtain Pokemon with high IVs. We do have a post on the forums where you can get links to most RNG resources.
Thanks so much for the advice here, I had a feeling of trying to figure out if I could get someone that could handle specials, I just didn't know who to go with, especially given Milotic would've been a problem for any grass types about coupled with Swampert. Funny thing is this will be my first ever time using Blissey in anything like this, so this is going to be interesting.

As for the Choice Band, if it takes too long on getting BP, I always have the ability to get it through Colosseum from emulating on Dolphin, since the amount of times I would've taken down a Pokemon with it but didn't from not having it is insane to me; that thing really pumps out more damage than I thought possible with Salamence.

My one final question (since I don't want to bug), is with Blissey's moveset - Softboiled, Ice Beam, Aromatherapy and Seismic Toss from the guide, plus a Lum Berry would work for her here, perhaps? I have Leftovers on Swampert right now, but if necessary, I can swap them if need be, and give Blissey more health recovery than what she already gains through Softboiled.

Thanks so much for the advice here, I had a feeling of trying to figure out if I could get someone that could handle specials, I just didn't know who to go with, especially given Milotic would've been a problem for any grass types about coupled with Swampert. Funny thing is this will be my first ever time using Blissey in anything like this, so this is going to be interesting.

As for the Choice Band, if it takes too long on getting BP, I always have the ability to get it through Colosseum from emulating on Dolphin, since the amount of times I would've taken down a Pokemon with it but didn't from not having it is insane to me; that thing really pumps out more damage than I thought possible with Salamence.

My one final question (since I don't want to bug), is with Blissey's moveset - Softboiled, Ice Beam, Aromatherapy and Seismic Toss from the guide, plus a Lum Berry would work for her here, perhaps? I have Leftovers on Swampert right now, but if necessary, I can swap them if need be, and give Blissey more health recovery than what she already gains through Softboiled.
Don't use Ice Beam, it may be tempting to hit Dragons but Blissey can't OHKO stuff like Salamence 4 unless you have SpA investment. A set of Substitute / Toxic / Seismic Toss / Softboiled can work. You can also use Minimize over Toxic because Swampert should be able to deal with Pressure stallers like Raikou and Entei while Blissey can protect itself with its special bulk. Blissey can viably run Lum Berry and leave the Leftovers to Swampert because it does really appreciates not losing any momentum and it will also allow you to sub safely against faster Confuse Ray users like Gengar. Alernatively, you can run Lax Incense or Bright Powder on your Blissey because it is already bulky enough and it can also benefit from missed attacks which can give you extra turns to recover HP with Softboiled.

Don't use Ice Beam, it may be tempting to hit Dragons but Blissey can't OHKO stuff like Salamence 4 unless you have SpA investment. A set of Substitute / Toxic / Seismic Toss / Softboiled can work. You can also use Minimize over Toxic because Swampert should be able to deal with Pressure stallers like Raikou and Entei while Blissey can protect itself with its special bulk. Blissey can viably run Lum Berry and leave the Leftovers to Swampert because it does really appreciates not losing any momentum and it will also allow you to sub safely against faster Confuse Ray users like Gengar. Alernatively, you can run Lax Incense or Bright Powder on your Blissey because it is already bulky enough and it can also benefit from missed attacks which can give you extra turns to recover HP with Softboiled.
That makes sense, I got her bred to have quite the good amount of SpA, but more of my EVs are put into SpD and HP than anything, just to help enhance the bulk up even further. I also decided to try out Minimize for the first time and go for a constant miss streak for the CPU (and I never did use Minimize before this too), with a Lum Berry just for the momentum upkeep. I'm also not entirely sure about my EVs for Swampert when it comes to Raikou and Entei, now that you mentioned those two; I put many EVs into HP and Atk since both are weak to Earthquake, but if they end up hitting me with something like Fire Blast for Entei, would that not KO Swampert in one or two hits? I feel like I should respec into SpD for that with him, though I'd love to hear others thoughts first.

So in total, this is my team as of right now:

Salamence @ Cheri Berry
Adamant Nature
IVs: 4HP/31Atk/31Def/26Spa/26SpD/10Spe
EVs: 6HP/252Atk/252Spe
-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-Aerial Ace

Swampert @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
IVs: 14HP/5Atk/20Def/22SpA/2SpD/9Spe
EVs:204HP/136Atk/76SpA/2SpD/92Spe

-Earthquake
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Protect

Blissey @ Lum Berry
Bold Nature
IVs: 14HP/28Atk/30Def/30SpA/14SpD/27Spe
EVs: 152HP/4Atk/8Def/94SpA/252SpD

-Seismic Toss
-Soft-Boiled
-Minimize
-Substitute

Once again, I can't thank you enough for the help here, I've never done much of the Battle Towers/Maison before this, and even when I did, it was a struggle since I wasn't looking at information even put here so many years ago. Here's hoping to me finally beating the Tower and saying I got the ribbon legitimately, before moving to Sinnoh's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)