Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gonna be so godamn hard to pick a version. Both legends look fucking beautiful *_*. Starters are kinda iffy to me but that'll probably change.

Also, what do y'all think about magearna's spot in this game? Magearna has a really industrial steampunk vibe which doesn't really fit the aesthetic of the region. The first manmade Pokemon being created on a tropical island just doesn't make sense to me. There has to be another side to alola we haven't seen yet.

I think zygarde's forms are still possible. Kalos has a bunch of relations to Alola like magearna's ties to volcanion and the strange souvenir. I also believe Anistar city is a direct reference to sun&moon.
  • The name "AniSTAR".
  • The SUNdial
  • The gym has a a cosmic vibe
  • Olympia shares a pretty uncanny resemblance to lunaala
Anyways this is just a theory. I really fuckin hope zygarde's forms aren't anime only, they just seem too fleshed out to be. Also zygarde itself is incredibly boring so these forms are much needed.

HYPE!

It's gonna be so godamn hard to pick a version. Both legends look fucking beautiful *_*. Starters are kinda iffy to me but that'll probably change.

Also, what do y'all think about magearna's spot in this game? Magearna has a really industrial steampunk vibe which doesn't really fit the aesthetic of the region. The first manmade Pokemon being created on a tropical island just doesn't make sense to me. There has to be another side to alola we haven't seen yet.

I think zygarde's forms are still possible. Kalos has a bunch of relations to Alola like magearna's ties to volcanion and the strange souvenir. I also believe Anistar city is a direct reference to sun&moon.
  • The name "AniSTAR".
  • The SUNdial
  • The gym has a a cosmic vibe
  • Olympia shares a pretty uncanny resemblance to lunaala
Anyways this is just a theory. I really fuckin hope zygarde's forms aren't anime only, they just seem too fleshed out to be. Also zygarde itself is incredibly boring so these forms are much needed.

HYPE!
It always seems like the event legendaries have nothing to do with the region. Hoopa sure just gives off that French vibe, doesn't it?

It always seems like the event legendaries have nothing to do with the region. Hoopa sure just gives off that French vibe, doesn't it?
Well, Diancie kinda has a place given its relation to another Pokemon and we're nearly 100% certain we would have known the place for Volcanion if GF bothered to give us Z. Keldeo, Genesect, the 3 Sinnoh Mythicals, Celebi, and Mew definitely have places in their generations. Hell, there's enough space stuff happening in Hoenn to justify Jirachi and Deoxys. In fact, the only ones I can't really picture them being any bit part of the region are Meloetta and Hoopa.

Hoopa's pokedex does mention it stealing entire castles which Kalos/Europe does have but that's a bit of stretch.

Well, Diancie kinda has a place given its relation to another Pokemon and we're nearly 100% certain we would have known the place for Volcanion if GF bothered to give us Z. Keldeo, Genesect, the 3 Sinnoh Mythicals, Celebi, and Mew definitely have places in their generations. Hell, there's enough space stuff happening in Hoenn to justify Jirachi and Deoxys. In fact, the only ones I can't really picture them being any bit part of the region are Meloetta and Hoopa.
Meloetta does have that little cafe where it could learn it's signature move in. Hoopa is probably the only one with no place.

True, but some feel pretty disconnected to anything going on in the main game. Shaymin has nothing to do with anything and gets it's own event area not related to anything else. Victini is it's own individual story too. Meloetta was just straight out of nowhere and... yeah. It's just recently as of late it seems some of the event legendaries are free "do whatever you want" passes. Which I don't mind, a bit of difference and disconnect to what we saw in-game is fun.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay, a few other people have posted, so time to give a small analysis of the region a try. Sorry for the blurry quality of the image, but it's the best Bulbapedia had. I touched it up with Paint to make it easier to comment on the specifics:

So: What we see is, I believe, the first area to be explored in the games. Allow me to walk you through it:

1) This is clearly the starting town. You see all the buildings from the trailer, as well as the little podium where you pick your starter.

2) Seems to be this game's equivalent of Route 1. It is fairly short, with no mandatory patches of grass. The trailer suggests there might be trainers there, or at least NPCs. I'm not sure if the player will start his/her journey in one of the houses in the starting town, or race up the hill to meet Professor Whatever and receive the starter Pokémon. The first scene in the trailer suggests your bedroom has a bay window, which is not seen on any of the three houses later on. It could possibly be found on the house underneath the 4) line, though.

3) The little waterfall here suggests there will be a small area here. I imagine something like the little pond at the start of ORAS, where you have a battle against your rival. The trailer suggests there will be a path leading into the woods from the starting town, and I can't imagine not ending up at the waterfall at some point.

4) This is probably a gate, and presumably the game's first roadblock. If I may hazard a guess: You can't pass until you've completed the segment with the little forest mentioned under 3). The building immediately after the gate may be the region's Trainer's School.

5) A little out of sequence, but that clearly is a cave opening. I'm not sure if the volcano will be the first cave you enter, or if it'll be a place you return to later in the game. They might pull a Sootopolis and have you Dive into it; the dark waters of the lagoon might suggest Dive spots. The fact that the lagoon has a closely defined border of rocks suggests we will be able to Surf there. A (presumed?) dormant volcano is also a good set piece for a climactic story scene.

6) The seaside town could be a location for the first Gym, or it could not. A little hard to tell, really. Presumably, there should be a Pokémon Center there, but I can't even make that out. So I'll skip the town for now. Let's instead focus on what is clearly a Route behind it. Note the quarry-like inlet in the cliffs, there might be something there. Maybe not something very interesting, since we're still in the early-game, but something nonetheless.

7) This appears to be another town on the far side of the island. If the first Gym isn't in the seaside town, it is probably here. The cliffs and caves beyond the town may take you full circle around the island, back to the starter town.

8) This is the main evidence for the existence of more islands: A ferry terminal, or at the very least a shipyard. I expect you to leave the island from here after completing the tutorial beating the first Gym, or maybe the first two. It'll be a little like BW2, where you had your beginning area to complete before shipping off to the mainland. The terminal will be your Skyarrow Bridge, your Lumiose City or your Mount Moon; the game changes noticeably after you pass this point and take a step outside the calm beginning of the game. What we see in this picture is Beginner Island, we have only seen the first few steps of Alola so far. I can't wait to see more.

9) What is this thing? It's clearly outside the "surfing border", and it's a different colour from the stones in the bay. It appears to be something, but it seems inaccessible. Anybody have any ideas?

Okay, a few other people have posted, so time to give a small analysis of the region a try. Sorry for the blurry quality of the image, but it's the best Bulbapedia had. I touched it up with Paint to make it easier to comment on the specifics:

9) What is this thing? It's clearly outside the "surfing border", and it's a different colour from the stones in the bay. It appears to be something, but it seems inaccessible. Anybody have any ideas?
It looks like the black rocks open up just before the northwestern side of it, implying an entrance to a cave. Maybe a minor non-story related dungeon to come back to later in the game once you have Surf, along the lines of Abandoned Ship?

can u stop stretching shit to match random patterns its triggering me so hard :pirate:

edit: to clarify: if the animal itself does not match your pattern your pattern is not real. That should not really be an issue. Trying to guess at the design philosophy/synergy between the starters and saying, oh well rowlet bird litten cat....popplio NOT DOG but u know if u think RLLY HARD..... is DOG???????? is so riddled with confirmation bias it's just farcical.
From Bulbapedia:

Popplio may be a combination of pop and lio from Ilio-holo-i-ka-uaua, the Hawaiian name for the Hawaiian monk seal, meaning "dog that runs in rough water".
It's not really that farfetch'd. And it's just an interesting thing to note, chill out. I'm not saying it means anything, I'm saying it's cool if that's what they're going for. And if not, well, it's still cool.

Good lord now that I have coffee in me, the only thing I see when I look at the Sun legend (Solgaleo, anyone??) is freaking Liger Zero from Zoids...

Arceus YES!!! Yes, someone else here loves Zoids! I think this could be the first Pokémon worthy of the name, and reason enough for me to choose Sun (for the second time now (I will be forgoing the tradition of choosing the "cooler" color). Now, if we could just get a wolf and velociraptor Pokémon, I could make a Zoids team.

Oh, and I think Solgaleo is probably a portmanteau of the words "Solar", "Galaxy", and "Leo".

To be fair, that doesnt entirely rule out the possibility that you are related to the professor in this game :p
Considering that we're all experts by now, that'd actually make sense.

Hey people what are your opinions on how the older Generation Pokemon will look like in this new generation ?
I have no idea, but I hope they figure something out. What am I saying? This is Game Freak we're talking about! Maybe we'll finally see what Diglett's claws looks like when he attacks!

Upstart

Copy Cat
Please stop with the "squintibility" to support contrived or arbitrary links between the starters. The horse is beaten now choke down your grotesque smoothie. Fox does not equal dog, they re not even the same family with starkly different behaviors. Chespin monkey wrenched whatever the grass theory was with evolution.

The same goes for the type triangle. Every generation, we've begged for it. We only have gotten it all of one time, which was just last generation. The likelihood of a repeat is highly unlikely.

Now that isn't to say, I don't think the starters are linked, I do. I believe they are all entertainers. Water the clown, fire the cool headed daredevil, and grass the showman. Similar to the shows you can see in Hawaii. Sadly it tells me little about they're roles, so we'll wait and see.

In regards to the map, I think the Pokemon center is pointed at in 4. I believe there is only one gym on this island on the far side as the seas side doesn't appear to have space for a gym. I think the sea side will act as intro city as well as highlight as a seaport. The seaport will be pivotal after we befriend the owner through some kind of quest. This will hopefully allow us to avoid too much water in a similar way as the sevii islands, which is awesome as they are still my favorite additions.

I believe the islands will exploit caves and hopefully aesthetic diving as natural barriers to require moving to and fro from island to island. I also believe the islands will each have their own shtick allowing them to highlight many international island cultures.

I guess the tallest building is a hotel for the tourism theme. Which will be interesting to see how they bring back jobs in order to pay for all of are fresh threads. I imagine restaurants will return as well

I wish they ll allow us non linear island travel.

I wish they ll allow us non linear island travel.
The only problem with nonlinearity is that I really don't think Gamefreak wants to make up for choosing to go to Island B instead of Island A first and actually making it difficult. Like I doubt they're going to implement level scaling (especially with wild Pokemon) and so instead of having an area designed for Level 30 Pokemon and one for Level 35 Pokemon, we'd instead just get two areas designed for Level 30 Pokemon - similar to what happened in Johto.

I'd like to see Poppilo go down the line of an elephant seal, but I think that's it's nose is a much clearer reference to the circus/Sea World/etc trick of a seal balancing a ball on its nose. While it can still be an elephant seal, I'm leaning more towards it's going to be some kind of goofy clown.

There's a hell of a lot of comments here, so forgive me if this has been covered, but did anyone else notice that Litten kind of looks like a ninja? Specifically the patterns on its head. If that continues to the final, we could have another Fire/Fighting, but Fire/Dark is also completely possible (especially given the fact that Greninja exists).

Another thing which is still kind of mysterious are the Stones on the Japanese Pokemon Sun & Moon Logos. I wonder what it actually going to be. Many people assume that in these games there will be some kind of different evolution mechanic like Mega evolution since in the Pokemon X and Y japanese Logo there was the Mega Evolution stone too.

What are you think about it ?

Another sort of Evolution mechanic would be for my favour too soon but I would accept it. Another thing is there is a lot of Pokemon who still are waiting on a Mega Evolution.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Another thing which is still kind of mysterious are the Stones on the Japanese Pokemon Sun & Moon Logos. I wonder what it actually going to be. Many people assume that in these games there will be some kind of different evolution mechanic like Mega evolution since in the Pokemon X and Y japanese Logo there was the Mega Evolution stone too.

What are you think about it ?

Another sort of Evolution mechanic would be for my favour too soon but I would accept it. Another thing is there is a lot of Pokemon who still are waiting on a Mega Evolution.
I think it will be another sort of evolution mechanic. Either a bit like Primals, or a bit like Ash-Greninja in the anime.

The only problem with nonlinearity is that I really don't think Gamefreak wants to make up for choosing to go to Island B instead of Island A first and actually making it difficult. Like I doubt they're going to implement level scaling (especially with wild Pokemon) and so instead of having an area designed for Level 30 Pokemon and one for Level 35 Pokemon, we'd instead just get two areas designed for Level 30 Pokemon - similar to what happened in Johto.
But it also happened in Kanto too without this problem. You could do most of the gyms in any order, and of the two paths to Fuchsia City one was way easier than the other.

IIRC, in some Pokemon games, trainer data can be stored without specifying a Pokemon's moves. Just the species, level and maybe the held item.

Scaling levels based on badges is not impossible, but still, I can't see them doing that.

There's a hell of a lot of comments here, so forgive me if this has been covered, but did anyone else notice that Litten kind of looks like a ninja? Specifically the patterns on its head. If that continues to the final, we could have another Fire/Fighting, but Fire/Dark is also completely possible (especially given the fact that Greninja exists).

From what I've heard the markings on its head is supposed to be similar to a japanese character for Rock or Obsidian or something.

So Fire/Rock is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)